Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

Not sure about the worst character, but when I used to roleplay in another social media I had this roleplayer partner who would pressure me into responding every 5min and give up on the few hours of sleep I had, so I could roleplay with them. Which is something that I would never do, and they got really pissed off about it. I have priorities, and even so roleplaying is fun, it is not one of them.

They would also come up with the same generic roleplay plot. Then, when we started the roleplay, they'd ask if we could make another one, because they had "and idea they wanted to try out", that turned out to be the same plot line but in another universe. They'd often reply with poor grammar and the few sentences they'd wrote weren't meaningful at all, sometimes I just wondered why they wrote it, as the scenes described did not contribute in any way to the story.
That just sounds like a pain to deal with...

As far as characters go I don't have anything too crazy to share, I suppose. There was a wish fulfillment self-insert a while back that kept derailing the roleplay by trying to make out with literally every other member of the cast. GM, so not much we could really do there. It was a shame as they were a decent writer and had a fun premise. Eventually all but one of us just collectively agreed to start up a different topic without them.

In terms of players there was a pretty detailed roleplay centered around adventure on another site I used to frequent. As the group dynamic developed my character fell into a bit of a leader role just for the fact that...well, she was one of the few that actually did or said anything. About three-quarters of the cast were busy brooding about something or other at any given time which is okay in of itself, but not when most of them aren't driving things forward in any meaningful capacity. Anyway, the GM of this particular story and I got along well enough since we were playing off of each other pretty often. Went sour before too long as they begin to get weirdly clingy and jealous. Looked at my other posts and got upset at seeing me writing in other topics. Kinda rolled my eyes at the whole thing and kept on. It wasn't to a point where I was going to duck out and throw a wrench into the experience for everyone else.

Then he found out I was a guy from stalking my posts, commented on it in OOC, closed the roleplay, deleted the topic shortly after, and never contacted me again. Guess he just assumed because of my character and had a weird crush. Still pretty amused by the whole thing.

definitely the girl who made her character the serial-killing, half demon daughter of jeff the killer when the rules IN THE CS ITSELF specifically stated that despite being set in a horror-ish place, we weren't accepting any angels/demons, randomly psychotic or creepypasta characters...

no seriously, i wish i was kidding. it's gotta take skills to be that ignorant.

definitely the girl who made her character the serial-killing, half demon daughter of jeff the killer when the rules IN THE CS ITSELF specifically stated that despite being set in a horror-ish place, we weren't accepting any angels/demons, randomly psychotic or creepypasta characters...

no seriously, i wish i was kidding. it's gotta take skills to be that ignorant.
Skill oor simple skimming

I have two stories both about dubious players, both from ages ago. Buckle up, they're wordy.

1 - Is this real life, or is this just fantasy?
"Tom" joined a RP I was GMing in a horror survival setting. Tom started to develop Actual Real Feelings for one of the characters his animeboi was having a romance arch with.

The female character Tom's OC was courting (during literal hell) was starting to grow too close to my male forever-OC (I'm a one trick pony) for his liking. Tom just could not have that. Never you mind that my OC wasn't interested; in fact, he was into some villain guy I distinctly remember being a gigantic dickhead. Tom was convinced otherwise.

After an absolute ballblastingly insane tirade in the OOC forum by Tom, complete with accusations of "stealing his girlfriend" and insisting I am actually a man and my name is [Character Name], I had to explain what real life was and what a roleplaying game was. That I'm not a dude, characters =/= human beings, and that he was making everyone [mainly this girl] incredibly uncomfortable.

I had to kick him out, and to this day, I have no idea if he really understood what he was doing.

2 - Vampire boyfriend for hire.
My earliest 1x1 was vampire horror shit; more Anne Rice meets Lovecraft, less UwU FangDaddy. I expected (and explained that I wanted) suspense, my OC being hunted by a vamp hunter, and lots of death. Instead, I got Twilight.

"Sam" would agree..and then just make her OC do nothing but UwU, as if we never discussed it. We were literally writing in two different genres, but I was anxious about ghosting, so I just tried to talk with Sam. Communication is important, right?

Even after constant pleas to realign, and her pretending she 'got it', Sam tried to pen gross bf/gf shit in PMs. That's when I snapped:

In a flash, I wrote my OC ditching her's, walking into a nightclub, finding a hot guy to make out with/feed on/take home. I wrote a fade to black just to bring the pain. It was obvious that I was writing a big, giant middle finger to this person who could not take No for a MFing answer.

Sam was Big Mad, I was Big I Don't Care, and now I'm very picky about my 1x1 partners, if I ever manage to do 1x1s at all.

I have more, but they're the same flavor of "RPer doesn't know what reality is/doesn't care about boundaries".
It sucks that I even have these stories lmao.

So this is a story from very early in my roleplay career, back when I was on a crappy fallout fan site (which shall remain unnamed). Anyway, obviously most of the roleplays were Fallout or Bethesda related, and usually had the same four or five people, myself included since it was a fairly small website overall.

Now one of these three or four players always tried to find some way to fit his OC/s into whatever RP he was joining, and I'm normally pretty okay with that if it isn't to out of place. But the OC/s in question just happened to be blue anthropomorphic fox people.

So, this specific Fallout roleplay had been going on for a while, with lots of generally bad characters made by all of us, and I ended up deciding I wanted to cut my characters down to two or three instead of the half dozen or so I had had, so I ended up killing a few of them off, one of which having been accompanying one of the previously mentioned blue fox people. So he responded to my character's death in a way I will never forget; by COMMITTING CANNIBALISM, AND DESCRIBING EVERY DETAIL OF HOW HE CUT MY CHARACTER INTO PEOPLE CUTLETS FOR LATER CONSUMPTION.

Suffice to say, I was definitely disturbed.

TL; DR A guy decided that when one of my characters died, he'd defile the corpse by committing cannibalism . Ya know, as you do.

Back on a different forum site I used to frequent I roleplayed a serious character, though he was kind and liked to help people. There was a person who played a female vampire that wanted my characters attention solely on her. If I roleplayed with someone else in the group she would get extremely possessive. Not only that, but she was obsessed with banging my character, to the point that I couldn’t get anywhere without her trying to drag my character away to throw herself at him. It was incredibly annoying. And when I spurned her advances she got SO SALTY that she changed her attention to someone else in the group and purposefully kept writing posts in a way as to try and make me jealous. Needless to say it didn’t work and the new dude got stuck with her. She would also follow me to other roleplays to try and do the same thing as well.

my worst character AND worst player experience are both the same instance! how, you ask? someone once sent me their character for a 1x1 we were planning and! they used their own selfie but made sure to include pictures like tattoos, ripped six-pack abs, etc. and basically told me their character's appearance was their selfie + these abs + these tattoos and linked all the pictures. i lost my mind!

Hmm this is kind of a mean thread. It might be better to keep bitching to generalities rather than specifically calling individuals out.
I'm gonna let crayon's speak for me here. I over all dislike these threads. It's sort of disruptive to the writing community. If I have troubles with people I'll vocalize it and usually directly to said person. I find that his whole tearing people down thing to be gross. I mean, I guess, if I had to say what I would classify as cringey is stuff like this. Also, people who can't grow as people.

Worst character I encountered was years back (so no one here, obviously). We were doing a medieval/fantasy roleplay, and my character was a knight. Hers was a lost damsel type. I set the scene with my knight making camp near a stream and even gave her an in by having him "hear something" in the woods nearby and call out. Rather than take the hint, she wrote her own post about her character wandering in the woods lost and then getting tired and taking a nap on the ground. I told her (politely!) that I couldn't have my character react to hers if they weren't in the same place. Her solution to this was to have her character sleepwalk into the stream and float downstream (still sleeping!) to where my knight was.

Worst character I encountered was years back (so no one here, obviously). We were doing a medieval/fantasy roleplay, and my character was a knight. Hers was a lost damsel type. I set the scene with my knight making camp near a stream and even gave her an in by having him "hear something" in the woods nearby and call out. Rather than take the hint, she wrote her own post about her character wandering in the woods lost and then getting tired and taking a nap on the ground. I told her (politely!) that I couldn't have my character react to hers if they weren't in the same place. Her solution to this was to have her character sleepwalk into the stream and float downstream (still sleeping!) to where my knight was.

This kind of thing seems to happen a lot. I'm not sure why. XD

This kind of thing seems to happen a lot. I'm not sure why. XD

I think it happened a lot on that site because people had pre-written intros but didn't bother to edit them to fit the scene they were given. I remember her saying something along the lines of "oh, well your character could come look for mine and stumble on her", which didn't make sense to me because I'd already set it up nicely for her character to enter the scene. It's sort of like the whole "The Tavern must be an octagon because we have eight different characters sitting in the corner" joke. People like their characters to be "discovered", I've found.

I think it happened a lot on that site because people had pre-written intros but didn't bother to edit them to fit the scene they were given. I remember her saying something along the lines of "oh, well your character could come look for mine and stumble on her", which didn't make sense to me because I'd already set it up nicely for her character to enter the scene. It's sort of like the whole "The Tavern must be an octagon because we have eight different characters sitting in the corner" joke. People like their characters to be "discovered", I've found.

It's a red flag if right from the get go they put the impetus of story events solely on their partner. "You have to come find me" is basically "you will be running the whole story from now on and all I'll do is have my character need to be rescued constantly."

It's a red flag if right from the get go they put the impetus of story events solely on their partner. "You have to come find me" is basically "you will be running the whole story from now on and all I'll do is have my character need to be rescued constantly."
Ugh, TRUE. Like, I really don't mind being the engine and chugging the plot along, but it's nice to have help. I've found that the number one reason I drop roleplays nowadays is because I'm doing all the legwork and it gets exhausting. It doesn't matter if your post is 1,000 words if you can't help move the action along.

Hi. Just a week ago i had a request to roleplay with a guy, just a one to one session.

He said he had this cool dystopian setting where the nobles lord it up over the workers.

He said his character would be the equivalent of the main from the gladiator film. Escaping the pits and looking to take down the nobility.

I said it would be cool if I played an assassin used by nobility to track him down.

I wrote a lengthy introduction where my character was gathering information and was on his tail.

He posted something like this:
He stood there in his armour just like iron man's, and attacked the assassin with his fist that turned into a massive chainsaw. He also has a female name for each of his weapons, consisting of a flamethrower, sniper rifle, machine gun and rocket launcher.

I was annoyed because I set up a good little chase. Why ruin all the tension by just getting straight to the fight?
My character was armed only with a knife and poison pistol (she was addicted to the poison) so the fight was unfair.

I did another reply showing how they met up and during their fight some hired mercenaries turn up just to make things interesting.

He never replied.

Hi. Just a week ago i had a request to roleplay with a guy, just a one to one session.

He said he had this cool dystopian setting where the nobles lord it up over the workers.

He said his character would be the equivalent of the main from the gladiator film. Escaping the pits and looking to take down the nobility.

I said it would be cool if I played an assassin used by nobility to track him down.

I wrote a lengthy introduction where my character was gathering information and was on his tail.

He posted something like this:
He stood there in his armour just like iron man's, and attacked the assassin with his fist that turned into a massive chainsaw. He also has a female name for each of his weapons, consisting of a flamethrower, sniper rifle, machine gun and rocket launcher.

I was annoyed because I set up a good little chase. Why ruin all the tension by just getting straight to the fight?
My character was armed only with a knife and poison pistol (she was addicted to the poison) so the fight was unfair.

I did another reply showing how they met up and during their fight some hired mercenaries turn up just to make things interesting.

He never replied.
I frankly can't believe you didn't want to pursue this. /Sarcasm

Well I did want to continue because I had a cool character that I wanted to explore a bit more. He just never replied.

I might be guilty myself though! With another DM i had my character commit suicide after the second scene. I just go with the flow, if something I can do makes the narrative more interesting I'll do it! I did introduce another one though.

Worst character? Well it has to be this other person’s character on another site. They originally wanted their character to be a strong independent woman. They even stated it in the beginning of the roleplay. However when things started progressing instead what we got was a damsel in distress who kept needing to be saved every minute. And she also kept trying to make said character the center of attention, and ruining planned plots and interactions all so her character could get a chance. Which fair to say got annoying really quick.

Worst player? While I do have some bad tendencies such as ghosting sorry guilty as charged. I do have an experience with one roleplayer, I don’t usually break rules and it was this one time. But since then, it seems this player has been going off and warning people about me when I join groups. Which is kinda not only annoying but also rude. They also never gave me a chance to apologize, or explain myself but rather kinda wrote me off as a villain. Which isn’t exactly fair as that is one experience, and why should you try to cancel me based off one instance? I just find this kinda move childish and well deserving for worst player title.

Hard to say the worst. As pretty much any player who tried to get smutty is on my list of worst. Also had the players that basically got all railroady and kind of made the P frustrating and uncomfortable not moving it because they kind of forgot both players are suppose to be making the story. One guy would literally take meta knowledge about my characters and throw in scenarios just to force me to make my characters do things they wouldn't do. Natural conflict is one thing, but this was just flat out ridiculous. Also they would try to kill my characters in a story building RP and get frustrated that I would ignore their "no way to dodge" comments as the rules were once a move was said, the other person decided if the character was hit. No killing or injuring another's character. When I called him out he swore he would change his approaches. Made the first steps to correct it then ghosted the RP for awhile just to come back and revert to the problems like I would have forgotten.

Another became obsessed with their character being non functionally mentally ill and flat out toxic when he did talk to my characters. Also OOC they were becoming quite clingy and toxic and overly forceful of opinions.

Worst character? Disruptive jerk who has no redeeming quality and even in thought is plotting against my characters but player things my character should blindly work with and trust them. Dysfunctional mentally ill character who's problems are so bad and un-treatable you figure they must be a fetish of the players. No plot can move past their issues. Nothing your character does helps. Scene won't freaking move. Also, the construct character that goes into a unmoving stasis randomly and doesn't move AT ALL.

Hmm... the idea of a character who is a massive jerk and is always actively plotting against the other characters is actually an interesting concept.

Like, you're forced to work with them because the world is in danger or something but then when you defeat the villain, they become the villain by grabbing the macguffin that was important to the plot or some such thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back