Other What age range are your characters? [Poll]

Select an age range preference that you generally use for your characters.

• Total voters
i typically go for minimum of 13 years old or a maximum 29 years old for humans. but for nonhumans, i can go a great deal older, as long as they are equivalent to that range. i typically go for slight framed female characters who cater to the Lolita Fashion Aesthetic, and usually have small and waifish figures or small and tomboyish figures. my oldest major character that wasn't a legitimate goddess was a 28,000 year old faerie who served as a doll like vessel for a collection of primordial entities.

I feel like this number just goes up as I age.

All my characters used to be 16, 18 max. I thought 16 was so old and mature back in the day and that 20 was far too ancient to do anything exciting. Now I feel like 16 is too young for the plots I typically come up with and my characters are regularly 21 or older.

I really can't tell if this is some strange psychological phenomenon about growing older myself or if it's maybe because I, by coincidence, stopped reading books with protagonists younger than 18 and the games I play typically don't even state the age of the protagonist or maybe both. Dunno.

Personally, I don't have an age group preference, more so I have an age group I avoid, which is anything under eighteen unless I have a specific reason for it.

Reasons can include highschool, or children of certain characters, or side characters, but I rarely play children. More recently I have been experimenting with more experienced, older characters. Probably around fourties and fifties.

Take into account the equivalent for non humans, like elves or something similar, so late thirties to several hundred years, sometimes thousands of years old.

It's an interesting thing to reflect on, similar to the previous post I tend to just have age groups I avoid rather than ones I stick to. Groups I avoid tending to be younger, sort of 15 minus. Just struggle to pull it off well, always found there to be a niche difference between inexperienced characters and characters inexperienced by youth. Maybe it's like as mentioned before, as I get older I find it harder to engage with playing a younger character.

On the flip side older characters can also at times be an interesting challenge unless I've actively progressed the character from a younger age to old. I've done it with a favourite of mine off this site and so I can easily slip into the experienced, grizzled mindset as I know the events that shaped it. Doing it right off the bat is often a little more tricky, but one I do enjoy.

Depends on the World.

In DND I tend to make my characters young but in things such as Half Life 2 RolePlay I make them in their 20's or 30's.

Mostly young in DND because young people like myself like to go adventuring and the reason for HL2 is because well....anyone under 21 is bassically put into work camps.

it's rare for me to have a character under their 30's, unless they're 28 or 29? With the characters I have, who are usually supernatural, I prefer them developing their powers before I use them, but it's a challenge to rp someone starting out with their powers, and fun nonetheless.

My characters are all different age ranges. That's because to me it would get boring if I only roleplayed one age all the time, having a different inventory is fun.

The only time, which I did not select, I will have any character 13 and below would be children characters that may have something to do with the story in a small role, it's a rare occasion however. Most of my characters are eighteen and well above.

The poll options don't accurately reflect my age ranges. I play characters who are anywhere from 25-45, generally. I'm an older RPer. Therefore, I'm interested in/h e a preference for non-teen characters. Most of my characters are in their thirties.

15 is the youngest I go, and even then it's usually for a younger sibling character. I'd say my range is like 15-22 or so. I'm 18 so young adults and teenagers are my specialty, haha

of my 3 big ocs, 2 were in their mid 20s-30s. The last was 18, but that was because the game began with a coming of age event

16-26 is probably the range I generally prefer to rp. But then, I've rped 12 year old ninjas,10 year old wizards, and 600 year old gods before so I wouldn't say I'm limited to that range. Age is just a number to me. Certainly there are different perspectives/experiences to consider with age, but I can just as easily rp a youthful, energetic, clumsy old man as I can rp a more-mature-than-average teen. Mentality plays a part in aging...and you're really only as old as you feel =P

Archtoddler Archtoddler
Idea Idea
That's a really interesting perspective. Admittedly, I generally stick to the same age range as the other players of the rp I'm in so interaction would be easier. Never really had a reason to rp children younger than 10 (other than as npcs) and I like to keep my character open to various scenarios. One of the things closed to characters of that youthful age range is a romantic relationship with another character. While I won't say that I actively look for relationships between characters in the rps I join (I usually don't), I don't like closing doors jumping into a new rp either. Romance, after all, is one of the many tools that can be used to further character development. Though I can respect the creativity required to rp a character of the toddler age range. It certainly sounds like it has its own perks in lieu of the limitations. Won't deny that limitations spawn creativity either^^

never roleplayed a child younger than 13 except as an NPC or Cohort and never RPed an Adult older than 30 except as an NPC. my average range is a pint sized 18-25 year old who can pass for 13-16 due to her size and features but generally has a toned build that requires 18+ to have enough time for the required level of condensing. because being petite framed at 5 feet while weighing 130 pounds requires years of consistent exercise to condense the muscle into a leaner form. even my not very strong characters, tend to have lean muscle definition, because i like it better than being skin and bones, because there isn't much you can do as a death camp survivor and because i conserve redundant pounds by shaving off curves or cup size, because a fit tomboyish figured assassin wouldn't be very busty or curvy. especially as an elf or other fae.

Though I can respect the creativity required to rp a character of the toddler age range. It certainly sounds like it has its own perks in lieu of the limitations. Won't deny that limitations spawn creativity either^^
Thank you :)

It's true, romance can be a great thing to develop characters, but you can have romance with children too. Not like, children-adult romance, but if there happen to be two little kids there, they can have a cute little cwush together XD <3

26-35 Here. Younger can be fun, but often seems unrealistic with the gritty stuff I like to roleplay.

My characters are usually in the 15-20 range. The youngest character I've ever played was 10, and the oldest was 33. I typically prefer to play a character younger than most of the others, but old enough to participate fully in the plot.

When it comes to the age of my characters, I usually have two categories. Biological age and chronological age. Reasons being is that I often have non-human characters. For biological age, I typically have twenty-somethings. Chronological age is a whole different story. Some age faster and are less than eighteen years old while others slower and can go thirties and up. Methods of maintaining youth include technology, magic, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back