Other What age range are your characters? [Poll]

Select an age range preference that you generally use for your characters.

• Total voters

Fable

₮ⱧɆ ₥Ɏ₮Ⱨ, ₮ⱧɆ ⱠɆ₲Ɇ₦Đ, ₮ⱧɆ ₣₳฿ⱠɆ
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I would like to know what age ranges the community of RPNation prefers for their characters and why. It seems to be a rare case that characters are over a certain age. This poll is by no means going to accurately represent the age trend, but it can help give an idea, maybe help through the discussion connect members. :3

I'd say I'm either inclined to create characters that are 16-18 years old, age them up throughout the story and see how they develop, or I'm going to make characters that are 30-45 years old. Not a lot of inbetweenage for me. I mostly participate in grim fantasy or sci-fi, so creating characters that are younger is plausible (whereas in a modern environment, they might have to go to school, as @StoneWolf18 has said before), and I also enjoy playing the younger character's parental or guiding figures, or doing so with another person.

I'm not sure why I create such an age gap, but I'm really unlikely to play characters in their 20s, now that I think about it. I also prefer the wisdom and practiced-ness of older characters. I guess maybe I feel like with younger characters, there's a lot of room for flaws and development, which is fun. Whereas in older characters, there's a lot of room for previous backstory and feebleness.

This makes me want to employ some senior citizen characters. I have a few in mind, the question is finding a roleplay they're suitable for.

But really, my character's age depends largely on their role. I'm fond of magic school roleplays, and I'm reluctant to have a teacher in a roleplay I'm not 100% sure my teachers would fit into.

As my name would suggest I prefer roleplaying characters that are around the toddler age. Is that weird? There were only two votes in it...

I prefer my characters somewhere within the lines of 40-60. I believe that age gives my character more conflicts, experience, more history, and of course, more layers to their personality. And, even then, I like to go against the basis of RPnation's majority — it's some sort of counter-culture thing, I suppose.

I like to play anywhere from 13 to mid twenties, I suppose. I prefer teenagers though because I am one, myself, and I can more accurately Roleplay that way. But I'm starting to try to get into adult years as well.

This makes me want to employ some senior citizen characters. I have a few in mind, the question is finding a roleplay they're suitable for.

But really, my character's age depends largely on their role. I'm fond of magic school roleplays, and I'm reluctant to have a teacher in a roleplay I'm not 100% sure my teachers would fit into.
It's understandable regarding aging your character for a role. :3 I do that as well, though I have an age range I prefer since I worry at times if I create an older character people will be put off by it.

I prefer my characters somewhere within the lines of 40-60. I believe that age gives my character more conflicts, experience, more history, and of course, more layers to their personality. And, even then, I like to go against the basis of RPnation's majority — it's some sort of counter-culture thing, I suppose.
Such edge. <3 But I do agree that older characters do have more worldly experiences, but I wonder if people stick more to their own age group. I mean, if a teenager RPed as a 60 year old, I kind of worry that they'd RP that older age with the mentality of their age group, y'know? Not saying there aren't teen RPers that can't pull it off, but it's something that I've seen happen.

IM TRIGGERED WHY CANT MY AGE BE 999999999999999
Pft, that is why there is a 40+ option! I'm sorry I forgot about "ageless/immortal" characters!

I gravitate towards younger characters, especially in casts where adolescents aren't a commonality; it's a subconscious thing. I mostly like reflecting on the nature of being young, and it usually plays into my character's weaknesses as something that limits them in terms of perspective and morality (wonder what that says about me, ha). It's also pretty convenient if you're expected to write a background for your character if their life experience is so limited — every moment mattered.

I think adolescent characters are often perceived as the "neutral" ground where age isn't that influential, especially by players who are adolescent (or that watch a lot of anime; let's be honest), and that's a little disappointing to me. I'd like to see more teenage-minded teenagers in fantasy settings especially.

I definitely encourage more old characters. My goal is to write more grandpas in the future!

Generally, I go for characters that are closer to my age (mid-twenties), but I also love that golden age of 12-15 because I'm a sucker for coming-of-age novels.

I feel like I should write more senior characters, but I worry that I don't have the wisdom of experience to pull that off, you know?

18-25
Because I like to use 21.
Legal to do anything.
Can reasonably be capable of much.
Not old, so not many injuries.

15-20, but usually mid to late teens. the oldest character i've ever rped as was 22. as a teenager myself, i don't really have the mindset or desire to roleplay as an older adult, and i don't really see many characters past college age in the genres i enjoy. this might change, but it might not... right now i'm content to play youth, even if some people look down upon characters in this age range.

My character is usually somewhere between 17 and mid twenty. I occasionally play older characters, but it's a bit harder for me.

Do you ever feel like there isn't as much that can be done with a toddler character as say, a teenager, or a young adult, or an old adult?
I mean they are not going to be as powerful and sometimes they need help with things, and they don't know as much, but that also means a lot of things you can do. For example, most of my characters either didn't learn or have trouble reading. This means they can't pick up some random thing and read it, but it also means that they interact with others about reading it, I could make a whole arc about them learning to read and so on...:3D:

Characters this young also have very active imaginations, generally speaking, so even I who am not used to any big-time roleplays have made some huge posts on a character's fantasy alone XD And they have feelings of helplessness and need for parental guidance and attention that older characters probably don't have as a default but can be really be enjoyed in their exploration.:coolshades:

Then there is interacting with other characters. You might think that speech impediments, not being able to follow everything and so on would be a big problem, but it's not a big deal if you're smart about it. Two characters don't have to be completely on the same page to have a conversation, and having a toddler on one end could bring out sides of the surrounding characters that one would not see normally.;D

To be honest, though, there is one thing that is limiting about playing toddler characters (or child characters in general) which is that a lot of roleplays just don't allow them. It really sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it and it puts it me out of a lot of seemingly fun roleplays. :closedeyescryingfrown:

I mean they are not going to be as powerful and sometimes they need help with things, and they don't know as much, but that also means a lot of things you can do. For example, most of my characters either didn't learn or have trouble reading. This means they can't pick up some random thing and read it, but it also means that they interact with others about reading it, I could make a whole arc about them learning to read and so on...:3D:

Characters this young also have very active imaginations, generally speaking, so even I who am not used to any big-time roleplays have made some huge posts on a character's fantasy alone XD And they have feelings of helplessness and need for parental guidance and attention that older characters probably don't have as a default but can be really be enjoyed in their exploration.:coolshades:

Then there is interacting with other characters. You might think that speech impediments, not being able to follow everything and so on would be a big problem, but it's not a big deal if you're smart about it. Two characters don't have to be completely on the same page to have a conversation, and having a toddler on one end could bring out sides of the surrounding characters that one would not see normally.;D

To be honest, though, there is one thing that is limiting about playing toddler characters (or child characters in general) which is that a lot of roleplays just don't allow them. It really sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it and it puts it me out of a lot of seemingly fun roleplays. :closedeyescryingfrown:
That was very enlightening. I can see how most roleplays wouldn't want them around unless the focus is everyday life. But you seem like you could adapt to many tones.

That was very enlightening. I can see how most roleplays wouldn't want them around unless the focus is everyday life. But you seem like you could adapt to many tones.
Well, in almost every scenario, children have to exist. Sometimes you can get away with making a random child, sometimes you have to work to get them to be somebody's child. But if you play your cards right, children fit into almost anything XD

Wow, you really took the words from my mouth!

I´d like to add, though, that limitations spark creativity. It´s an often forgotten fact that humanity creates things mostly out of necessity and accident. It's because we can't do something that we try to find a work around and for me, playing child characters has that kind of spark, among other charms. It´s because there are some things children don´t normally do that would be necessary that I have to find a creative way to have my character do while still effectively remaining a child. Sometimes I have to find a way to get an otherwise adult or tee character and make them a child because the roleplay would normally not allow children, and that can lead me to tinker with the way the magic works and the like to find how to craft that child character I wanted.

Wow, you really took the words from my mouth!

I´d like to add, though, that limitations spark creativity. It´s an often forgotten fact that humanity creates things mostly out of necessity and accident. It's because we can't do something that we try to find a work around and for me, playing child characters has that kind of spark, among other charms. It´s because there are some things children don´t normally do that would be necessary that I have to find a creative way to have my character do while still effectively remaining a child. Sometimes I have to find a way to get an otherwise adult or tee character and make them a child because the roleplay would normally not allow children, and that can lead me to tinker with the way the magic works and the like to find how to craft that child character I wanted.
:o That's smart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back