• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Valiance OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

SkyGinge

Sad Shroom
Conversation Campfire
Discuss character ideas, ask questions, share hype and eat digital marshmallows here! Banter is allowed an encouraged!

Last edited:
Ok, so I'll be the first to crack open this thread I guess.

I'm planning on a Gold Magic character, probably female who is proficient in swordsmanship. What's everyone else considering?

EDIT: ok, small-arms, not swords. Found the picture which now allows my muse to build the character!

Last edited:
I'll be working on my main character tomorrow - in summary, he's a charismatic, idealistic young Green Mage who despite his talents is blind to his flaws. I'm just making the one for now, may add more when I see what submissions are like

I'm off to sleep now as it's pretty late O'clock here in England, but if you have any questions then ping them away and I'll see to them in the morning~

Iโ€™m in the midst of fleshing out a Bronze scholar of the University, who focuses on practical use of Bronze Magic instead of combat-based techniques.

I'm making a vengeful Bronze Magic botanist, who's proficient in defense and has knowledge of healing herbs

Question: at this point, is it just the capital city thatโ€™s been attacked, or all of the cities?

swamp fairy swamp fairy : The entire country. Whilst the massacre started in Alsiere, it spread rapidly across the kingdom, and at this stage one month later, it is thought that pretty much every settlement has been destroyed.

MToki MToki : Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

I'm currently finalising my character form! :)

My character is now up - I still have a couple of sections to go, but we're going out now to play some board games, so I'll be finishing off when I return. I couldn't get the code to quite work properly in the end so we've just got something simple and old-school :)

My character is now up - I still have a couple of sections to go, but we're going out now to play some board games, so I'll be finishing off when I return. I couldn't get the code to quite work properly in the end so we've just got something simple and old-school :)
Hey, that character looks strikingly familiar in some way. :P

Have fun with the board games!

Sooo, what I am thinking about making is a horse-rancher turned knight's squire, who's was (pre-fall) carefree, lazy and not the best at his knightly duties but he had a good heart. After the fall he became very much pre-occupied with trying to stay alive, trying to bluff his way out of trouble and when that gets him into even deeper shit he fends off his aggressors with his decent swordsmanship until he reaches his horse and flees like a coward heroically runs away. He tries to help others when he can but has no ambtions beyond that. I mean, it's not like he can do anything about the Drochiad, he is not even an actual knight!

I suppose he's somewhat clichรฉ but I think he'd could possibly have some fun character interactions. I imagine him being something of a straight man but I don't know how crazy everyone else's characters are going to be.

Oh and I don't think he should start with any magic, having yet to be awakened prior to the fall. I imagine him trying to learn magic being a plot point. And when he finally masters yellow magic he's like officially come into his own as a Valiarum Knight. Or maybe he learns a different type of magic - he has the 'noble character' part down for being approved for gold or white magic training though not the high status that's actually required, but of course none of that matters much anymore - or maybe he develops into a badass normal, or maybe something else entirely? We'll see (if he gets accepted and the roleplay doesn't die).

Question: Do the Valiarum Knights have to be of noble birth? Do they have to have some form of noble approval? Or can they just be random peasants?

Another Questioin: Is the grammar in this post acceptable? I ask because it is not all strictly correct.

I wonder why. :)

Saw the interest check, figured I'd take a look at the RP. Pondering resurrecting a form of my girl Rue from the Lords of Magistone game from...good Lord, 4 years ago...

Nice to see you're kicking, SkyGinge. :)

I wonder why. :)

Saw the interest check, figured I'd take a look at the RP. Pondering resurrecting a form of my girl Rue from the Lords of Magistone game from...good Lord, 4 years ago...

Nice to see you're kicking, SkyGinge. :)
EPIPHANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WalkingDogo WalkingDogo : Thanks! I just got back from it - I hadn't met the people before as I'm staying with my parents at the moment to recover from some health stuff, but it was a friendly fun time with a nice roast dinner and some frantic card game action!

I like the idea for your character - the fall effectively gives him a second chance having been a poor squire beforehand, which could be interesting character motivation. Having ran away to survive like a coward 'heroically retreated' would mean he would have an interesting relationship with Skyre's ambition of taking down the Anarquesse, and I can also see a fun dynamic with somebody in the group trying to tutor him in magic. Of course, for much of the first half of the RP he'd still not be capable of much beyond very basic, desperate stuff, but there is a point in the RP where we will all be able to grow dramatically in our magical ability - at least, if we get that far in (here's hoping!)

Answering your questions now: Great question regarding the knights. When King Lyram trained the army in magic to take out the previous Anarquesse, I imagine he would have taken both commoners and distinguished houses in to the army, especially as casualties rose up. However, perhaps there was then conflict in the forty years of peace between the historical families which had churned out knights and newcomers graduating and coming into the service from the University of Magic? I'm open to any ideas you have on the matter. The knights were in effect the police of the kingdom beforehand, being able to use their magic within strict regulations to keep the peace (because of course, thieves, brigands and other such criminals still rose up).

And grammatically the only major thing I noticed was that funnily enough you put 'questioin' in your second question ;) Jokes aside, your grammar seems fine to me and even that one typo is less I think than I often make!

Oh, and welcome to the site also!

Epiphany Epiphany : Yep, four long years (and five for me and Kharmin :P) Great to see you again also - how have you been these past few years? :P In terms of resurrecting characters, it's up to you. Kharmin is going down a completely different route, and whilst I'll be using Skyre again, his character direction has changed quite a bit from being rather aimless those years ago, which I hope will be more interesting to play out!

I am a tired boyo, but I'm going to do a little bit more work on Skyre's form and then call it a night. Looking forward to seeing these characters when they get posted up!

WalkingDogo WalkingDogo I think the grammar in your post was quite acceptable. ;)

@WalkingDogo : Thanks! I just got back from it - I hadn't met the people before as I'm staying with my parents at the moment to recover from some health stuff, but it was a friendly fun time with a nice roast dinner and some frantic card game action!

I like the idea for your character - the fall effectively gives him a second chance having been a poor squire beforehand, which could be interesting character motivation. Having ran away to survive like a coward 'heroically retreated' would mean he would have an interesting relationship with Skyre's ambition of taking down the Anarquesse, and I can also see a fun dynamic with somebody in the group trying to tutor him in magic. Of course, for much of the first half of the RP he'd still not be capable of much beyond very basic, desperate stuff, but there is a point in the RP where we will all be able to grow dramatically in our magical ability - at least, if we get that far in (here's hoping!)

Answering your questions now: Great question regarding the knights. When King Lyram trained the army in magic to take out the previous Anarquesse, I imagine he would have taken both commoners and distinguished houses in to the army, especially as casualties rose up. However, perhaps there was then conflict in the forty years of peace between the historical families which had churned out knights and newcomers graduating and coming into the service from the University of Magic? I'm open to any ideas you have on the matter. The knights were in effect the police of the kingdom beforehand, being able to use their magic win strict regulations to keep the peace (because of course, thieves, brigands and other such criminals still rose up).

And grammatically the only major thing I noticed was that funnily enough you put 'questioin' in your second question ;) Jokes aside, your grammar seems fine to me and even that one typo is less I think than I often make!

Oh, and welcome to the site also!
Oh, hope you get better soon. And yeah, board and card games can be very fun with the right people.

And of course I would make a typo there.

Thanks for welcoming me here!

I must sleep now for I am a brit too and in need of sleep. I mean, it took me half an hour to write just this. (Lots of getting distracted thinking about things or almost nodding off.) I'll will reply in more detail tomorrow.

WalkingDogo WalkingDogo : Yay, a fellow Brit! I can't remember writing substantially with another Brit on here before, so that would be an exciting first! Sleep well.

As for me, I think Skyre's form is now finished. I've avoided revealing all of his backstory as there's things I want to reveal through flashback dreams.

Tomorrow and Sunday I'm going to be a bit busier doing things with family, but I'll be checking on every few hours :)

Thought I'd pop in to say hello!

Still pondering various character ideas at the moment, and also waiting to be sure if I 100% have the time I need to dedicate to this. Either way, I'm sure I'll be reading along, because I love the sound of everyone's ideas at the moment!

Heya ^_^. So if concentrated Auranium, what is used to fill a mage's soul were to be fed to animals, or be exposed to plants for an extended time, what exactly would happen to them? Would research to see if animals had a soul or the ability to store Auranium when they breathe ever have been conducted and was it enough to come to a conclusion, is that the reason Gold Magic works?

I have a few ideas in my head, I suppose my most developed is a girl born to a mother who was a banished (handless) white mage who became a recluse in the southern valleys, now always seeking out those with stronger willpower than her's, and feeling the need for others to rely on her or want help. Trying to decide if learning magic even fits into her story and leaning towards none, although I have a few stronger ideas that may flourish instead.

Hey!

I'm going to jump into the Character Forge and get someone out asap, but will there be any chance of a Discord for easier communication?

Yo everyone, thought that I might drop in and get some character feedback for what I have so far.

The basic idea would be a street urchin who makes a living off of scamming travelers who pass through the desert in search of ruins, who while not good by most standards has a soft spot for kids and looks after the local children. They travel between the fledgling tribes of the desert, offering aid in the form of stolen goods to the children. After failing to save a child during a sandstorm they decide to travel to the University in order to learn magic, having heard stories of mages who could control the winds. After the fall they attempt to return to the desert only to find most of the tribes have been destroyed. Falling into despair, they take to wandering the lands in search of any surviving members of the tribe that may have fled to the west. They come off as cold to most people, although their soft spot for children still remain.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I want to make sure that my character will actually be interesting to interact with.

Heya ^_^. So if concentrated Auranium, what is used to fill a mage's soul were to be fed to animals, or be exposed to plants for an extended time, what exactly would happen to them? Would research to see if animals had a soul or the ability to store Auranium when they breathe ever have been conducted and was it enough to come to a conclusion, is that the reason Gold Magic works?

I have a few ideas in my head, I suppose my most developed is a girl born to a mother who was a banished (handless) white mage who became a recluse in the southern valleys, now always seeking out those with stronger willpower than her's, and feeling the need for others to rely on her or want help. Trying to decide if learning magic even fits into her story and leaning towards none, although I have a few stronger ideas that may flourish instead.

dragonsfire dragonsfire : ~Heyyyyy-eyyaaaaahhh..... heyyyaaahhhhh~

Research into whether animals and plants have a soul was undertaken, and neither do; it's their simpler minds/living processes that make them able to be easily influence by Gold Magic. Just a word on your banishment idea: as the ban on magic was lifted a few years before the Hero King destroyed the Drochiads and ushered in the forty years of peace, you wouldn't find people being banished like that any more. Furthermore, now that they know that hands don't have a special connection to magic I don't think they would continue with the practice of removing hands, even as a federal punishment for perhaps being a trained mage that is found to use magic against the law. Unless maybe your character grew up in a really rural community somewhere in the west where I suppose Alsiere's academic influence could have not reached over until a bit later, giving time for your character's mother to have her hands removed by the misguided local authority; I imagine the discovery disconnecting the hands from magic would have come a few years into the forty year's peace.

ShadyAce ShadyAce : Hello! I appreciate you having the maturity to be uncertain if you can fully commit to joining or not! If you think it'll be difficult for you to keep up then don't worry about it - I'm honoured that you'll be reading along anyway!

Archon Archon : Whilst I do have discord, I've never really got into using it frequently; as we have the capacity for private messaging and OOC threads I prefer to just keep everything in the one place on site. However, I know at least one other person here who definitely prefers discord, so I might put a poll up for it a bit closer to the start of the RP.

Shotgunpenguin Shotgunpenguin : Sounds interesting: I like the idea of a character with a bit of a shadier background. When you're talking about tribes, are you imagining a new people group or talking about what I mentioned before about the ancient magic tribes? If the latter, I was thinking that the magic tribes would have died out/disappeared before the start of the forty years peace; if the former, my question is why people would choose to live a harsh life out in the desert when the fields and hills of central Valia are fertile and fruitful? That said, I did put a cheeky little grassy section on the far side of the desert which opens up the possibility of a town down there in the middle of nowhere, and I'm up for you continuing with this if you can think of a creative and logical work around. :)

In terms of being interesting to interact with, it's pretty unfair/hard to judge from just a concept paragraph imo, but played with the right amount of guilt and willingness to continue scamming to survive and I think it'd be an interesting addition.

However, I know at least one other person here who definitely prefers discord, so I might put a poll up for it a bit closer to the start of the RP.
That would probably be me since I brought it up with Sky in a PM earlier. I'm good with here or there, whichever he prefers (it's his RP). I can make an instance available on my Discord server if necessary.

In the lore, it is stated: And there was no chance to fight, for magic and blade alike cannot harm their swirling flesh.

How, then, are we supposed to fight these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back