• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Urban Fantasy

I read everything... albeit in a shallow manner.

This seems very interesting and I do apologise for not being able to post faster... reading all these words did take up a considerable chunk of my time.

I'd like to input some knowledge about the fae.

In Asian mythology - primarily Chinese - fae are actually believed to be humans or animals who have lived so long - usually under extreme circumstances such as near starvation - that they gradually adopt the power to change. You could call them a sort of shapeshifter or even spirits. Advanced spirits can copy a person's looks as well as their voice to lure in prey, eating up or taking control of one's body to expand their life span. Of course there are also good spirits that help guide the people towards salvation or safety. Spirits are usually animals such as the Japanese nine-tailed fox but you could easily twist this into some hybrid animal if you wish.

Although this is not your cliché mythological creature aka werewolves and vampires, they might be a good guideline?

I don't know if you're making this world apocalyptic or just generally new, but what if the humans have always kind of been scared of the werewolves and what have you. Maybe if it turns out that after time - or this could be translated into some kind of a chemical hazard - they actually start turning into what they despise, they decide to investigate?

I have no idea.

Of course, this won't cause an entire world crisis but just unease. In the sense that, the border between races can actually be over bridged; although the races have always kept themselves separate - this draws back to the occasions where you pointed out that races generally sort out their own affairs without interference from others.

Just... throwing it out there. (╯°□°)╯

Last edited by a moderator:
Ion said:
I don't know if you're making this world apocalyptic or just generally new
Generally, it's a setting that is very near to reality. "Like real life, but--" basically, so not apocalyptic or blatantly fantastic. The general populace doesn't know about the existence of the supernatural, because it's gotten better at hiding over the centuries just as human society as a whole has become more skeptical and less superstitious. A few know, in isolated pockets and groups, such as an old pagan family that maintains a tradition in witchcraft, or a hunter family that maintains a trade in werewolf hunting. WHich, in the modern climate has become less of hunting and more like mercenary work, or being a hitman; I'm sure you get the idea.

Thank you for the info about the chinese fae though, I'll have to look into it. that could possibly be worked into something, either it's own variety of creature or empowered human, or rolled into the general concept of the fair folk, interpreted differently by differing cultural filters in the distant past.

Glad I could help.

Human transformations[edit]

There are a large number of
yōkai who were originally ordinary human beings, transformed into something horrific and grotesque usually during an extremely emotional state. Women suffering from intense jealousy, for example, were thought to transform into the female oni represented by hannya masks.[4] Other examples of human transformations or humanoid yōkai are:

• Rokuro-kubi (humans able to elongate their necks during the night)
  • Ohaguro-bettari (a figure, usually female, that turns to reveal a face with only a blackened mouth)
  • Futakuchi-onna (a woman with a voracious extra mouth on the back of her head)
  • Dorotabō (the risen corpse of a farmer, who haunts his abused land)

That's from the Japanese Wikipedia page. Of course you shouldn't copy the actual names because it'd be hell having to spell that multiple times + correctly in a post.

Oh, oh, oh, and when it's done please tell me! I'd love to be part of this.
(۶ꈨຶꎁꈨຶ )۶ʸᵉᵃʰᵎ

I think anyway we should put a CAP on how many groups of supernatural beings will be in , like it would not be good to have 20 or so different supernatural beings on their own :/

[QUOTE="The Dragon Rider]I think anyway we should put a CAP on how many groups of supernatural beings will be in

[/QUOTE]
My intention is to do a write up for a couple groups, and then limit the numbers that can be in each group, and anything else not listed will have to be taen under special consideration. And if supernatural density is already high, I might just turn it down based on that; gotta have SOME humans embarking on the epic adventure of discovery, right?

Count me in (just read all the stuff, my head explodes). I'll start working on some options for acharacter by now^^

My apologies for the lack of activity for the past week, I promise I have not forgotten about this idea, and so still want to go through with it. However, last week turned out to be busier than expected, and this week isn't turning out much better, not as busy, but also dealing with being quite sick.

I only hope that the lack of further replies is only due to everyone occupying themselves with other things, and not simply writing off the urban fantasy.

Ok, well.. I think it's safe to say I owe everyone an apology. I doubt anyone is -still- waiting on this, considering I've left it sitting for.. two months now. Life happened like a ton of bricks, then I lost momentum, and I've had a hard time getting it back.

So let's just stick a pin in it, alright? If.when I regain some of that momentum, I'll remember there was significant interest, and I'll make a fresh post with a synopsis written, and I'll tag folks and such, but for now, let's shelve it until I can get some mojo back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back