• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Urban Fantasy

I dunno either. I just know all the Sicilians, Italians, Irish, Russians, and so forth are out east and I think most of the Cartels and street gangs like the Bloods operate exclusively out of larger metropolises like Chicago and LA County.

There are chapters of those famous LA street gangs, as well as motorcycle gangs, across the entire continent. While it isn't likely any Blood or Crip chapter will be very notable, and would have to compete with more local gangs, I'm pretty certain they exist up here. Portland is a useful transit hub, and in the end, gangs, even street gangs, are all about business and money.

Fair enough. You never hear about high-profile gang shootings in Portland. At least, not here in little ole' Tennessee.

Portland is pretty laid back. Crime still happens, but it isn't as much of an urban decay cesspit as areas of LA. It's a really friendly city over all, but as a result it's got a very high and visible homeless population.

Vampires have better taste than that. Pun intended. XP But it does make it a bit easier for new, unaffiliated, or desperate vampires to keep going, when they can't afford to be all refined and opulent.

I figured the rich vampires would pull transients off the streets, put them through detox, feed them what they'd like, then bleed them dry. It'd be the easiest way to stay their appetites without bringing the heat.

Why should the rich vampires go to all the effort to hunt down, catch, detox and house transients when they can lure their prey to them, by cultivating images of wealth, power, and allure that resonates with the popular entitled youth and young adult crowd? No need to bother with tracking catching and detoxing when a pretty young thing can be easily seduced into baring her neck to a vampire that looks like a male model, in exchange for image, notoriety, exclusivity, and maybe a few trinkets. Considering that 20-something male model Vampire might be on the order of 200 years old, and have the investment portfolio to prove it. XP

I mentioned it earlier, but Vampires don't need to nor want to kill their victims. Piles of corpses attract attention, lower property values and discourage tourism; they don't need much blood nightly to sustain themselves. Of course they can take more if they want, and do need more if they expect to use their more advanced abilities, but an older vampire can take only a little more than is needed to survive, but still not much, and let it accumulate over the decades into an impressive enough pool of power from which to draw for emergencies.

Ah, see I was picturing Stoker-esque vampires who would either kill their victims or turn them into mind-controlled thralls like Renfield.

Well, I'm kind of a lazy person so I didn't read all of this^^'. Could you please tell me, wheather this is still open?

@September still open, not started yet; nearing the end of the brainstorming stage, depending on other issues and obligation and projects on my plate I'm likely to begin writing the lore today, getting things ready to start.

I would encourage you to read back, though, as it would take a while to explain everything that's already been said again, and it'd be just as long restated as it was when I stated it initially. ^^

@Christopher Colt At the moment, we just have the initial catalyst decided, and I have one or two hook ideas in mind, and (probably) the first antagonist relating to the opening catalyst.

Base idea is that various supernatural creatures have always existed alongside humans, remembered mostly in folklore as humanity became more skeptical and less superstitious. It isn't some special completely segregated hidden society set apart from humans, it's more like a collection of subcultures that exist within the overall scope of society that includes humans as well as the supernaturals. The catalyst for intrigue and conflict, to make for an interesting story rather than just 'normal life' is a series of grisly and brutal murders that attract the attention of supernaturals, as well as law enforcement.

Supernatural types slated to appear include werewolves and vampires, primarily. Other possible options if there's enough people to support it are fair folk and djinn. Paranormal humans may also exist, in the form of some flavors of psychics and magic users, but everything is geared to be subtle and low key; no mages casting fireballs from staffs or anything high-fantasy like. Folk magic, and psychic impressions that skeptics could easily doubt, mostly; advanced and flashy stuff tends to require complex ritual and set up, as well as the proper charms or objects to facilitate it, and can easily be misinterpreted by someone not familiar with it, or discounted by those who don't directly witness it. Multicultural input is highly encouraged, so if you know about the folklore of some culture that isn't as widespread as the usual european-derived archetypes, awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about making the antagonist a group and we will have a chance to join this side lool. There's also a moral as to why this group have done the killings, one that will eventually involve the whole world.

[QUOTE="Christopher Colt]that will eventually involve the whole world.

[/QUOTE]
Short answer: to be determined. I don't want to jump the shark right from the start, and as I've said before, at least to start, I'm trying to avoid epic global apocalyptic stuff. I'm not trying to create an atmosphere of middle earth or world of warcraft, I'm trying to create an atmosphere of 'like reality, but' .. and generally speaking, as far as we're aware, the world itself isn't in jeopardy every other week, nor is it saved by a bunch of random normal (even if supernaturally afflicted) people off the streets.

Okay lol, regarding the antagonists, are there any groups you have figured out yet? Like crime syndicate, gangs, clubs, group students, detectives LOOOOL!

I think we've nailed down local vampiric nobility and organized crime as the primary baddies for now.

The question of antagonism I'm going to leave intentionally ambiguous. Certainly, if we have players to be normal humans, particularly investigators, they will at first be set against the local supernatural communities (once discovered) as potential suspects in the crimes. Ambiguity of morality is a fun concept, the grey area, things that are good, but and evil, but.

It's more along the lines there wil lbe cations with their own motivations. Human investigators who want to solve the crime. Human skeptics who want to prove or disprove the existence of the supernatural. Werewolves who want to find and take care of the perpetrator however is necessary, to enforce their territory and keep from being discovered. Vampires who's methods and goals tend to be difficult to guess, but who's motivations are almost always centered on power. Magicians and.or psychics looking to either slake curiosity or get paid consultant fees.

And of course, the actual perpetrator of the murders, who's motives methods identity and nature are all part of the mystery!

And as a note, Vampire will likely be a valid pick for your character if you want, and it won't necessarily mark you as Evil McBadguy; you can be as evil or friendly a vampire as you want. So long as you act like a vampire. Making friends is another form of gaining power; power through diplomacy, networks and connections.

True. I say "baddy" in the generic sense of you're the guy who the traditional white knights are up against. That all being said, I'm working on my character right now. I'm torn between a motorcycle cop (because motorcycle cops are badass), a detective-inspector (which would probably be most relevant), or a police captain at the precinct.

I mean, just the basics. Name and background. I'm going for irony in that he was Chicago Homicide and transferred out to Portland to raise a family in relative peace and quiet.

count me in, too many werewolf and vampire only roleplays, Time to branch out :P

Plus with a current urban theme thats rarely used it cool too :)

I.M.O

if I had to think group wise, i would not pick 1 specific group to be the antagonists.

We could highlight certain tensions between different groups as the supernatural world as a whole deals with the fallout of the opening event?

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. I'm sorry I haven't gotten things moving just yet, end of last week and start of this has been somewhat hectic for me. I haven't forgotten, and indeed this has still been forefront on my mind in nearly all idle thoughts. It's left plenty of time for the ideas to percolate.

Tonight or tomorrow I can likely begin bashing out the lore and writing up overviews, and once I get some momentum going I work pretty fast. It's always the start that's the hardest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back