• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Urban Fantasy

Vinny Havoc

Stilwater Angel
I don't have any synopsis or plans or plots or anything built yet. In short I have nothing to present, to show anyone, because I don't want to go to that effort only for it to fall flat as crickets chirp and tumbleweeds roll. What I want to do is try and gauge interest in a broad concept, one I haven't seen much of on the site (although I could just be missing it). What few I've found are small, and stalled out.

Urban Fantasy.

The idea is, the world is pretty much just like the real world, except where noted; however there's a lot of notes. Urban fantasy often involves a masquerade, hidden societies and cultures just under the surface and it tends to have a pretty thin veil; Most folks really interested in pulling back the curtain have a pretty good chance, with determination and luck, to actually find something.

Unlike the few urban fantasy threads I've found, it wouldn't focus on just one kind of supernatural creature. The world being entirely like real life, except for ONE special monster seems, to me, to be a little difficult to swallow. Why is that one myth true when every single other one is false? My idea of an urban fantasy setting would have a blending of supernatural and paranormal creatures and phenomenon, which makes it very hard to separate fact from fiction in the old myths and legends. If werewolves and vampires are real, how about dragons? Turns out, no, dragons aren't real but there are zombies, but not the hollywood zombies, voodoo zombies that use some actual magic in combination with drugs... and so on and so forth.

It's a world where skeptics have an excessively hard time of it, trying to convince people to not believe EVERYTHING just because some things happen to be true. Where existence of unrelated paranatural phenomenon is used as justification for blind belief in other ideas that lead to atrocities, or where flat earth atheists continue to insist nothing not normal doesn't exist, and might suffer a blue-screen reaction when witnessing a werewolf transformation.

A world that could potentially be so chaotic, this has to be balanced with some amount of structure; specific monsters and creatures would have specific rules players would follow and, to the best of my abilities, they would pay homage to many of the old folk tales, but never quite match up exactly either.

It's also a place where it may be very easy to have 'special snowflake' characters and mary sues, as a setting where so many folktales are true opens a lot of doors; many of them will have to be carefully regulated or approved.

To start with, I was thinking of a few classic monsters and beings of folklore and acknowledgement of certain phenomenon.

Vampires, self styled lords of the undead, with extreme abilities but also many weaknesses

Werewolves, and other werebeasts, the bridge between civilization and the wild

Fae, the fair folk, an incomprehensible collection of races that exist parallel to this physical world

Djinn, beings of fire, air and smoke that exist on the other side of this physical world

Psychics, humans with unlocked psionic potential such as channellers, aura readers, mediums and seers.

Magicians, magos, normal humans who have learned a magical art through ritual, craft, or study

In addition to these well known or potentially global phenomenon, I'd want to involve more localized traditions and folklore, which means if there is interest in this, and someone has a more esoteric concept they want to play with (such as a native american skinwalker, subset of a magician but much less subtle) it would need a good write up and approval, but so long as it sounds good and seems to fit with the atmosphere, I'd be inclined to accept it.

If there is only a little interest, I'm likely to narrow the focus to just werewolves, vampires and psychics (though with the implications other things could exist, just not happening here) and of course I would encourage, strongly, that normal humans be involved as well, because half the fun is in the discovery of the unknown.

As for setting, while a city is common for so-called urban fantasy, it isn't necessary; urban mostly refers to modern day society where urban development can occur and is common. Ideas can be batted back and forth for ideas, I'm partial to Portland Oregon for personal reasons. It's where I live, and it takes pride in being weird, and is a very vibrant place; like New York City in Men in Black, Portland is one of those places where weird things would be seen and easily dismissed. Other ideas would, of course, be welcome.

It wouldn't be combat focused, though conflict could happen; I'd much rather focus on the social and cultural aspects and difficulties of these hidden communities alongside intrigue and possible adventure. Conflict between vampires and werewolves is a common motif, or involvement from monster hunters or investigators and skeptics determined to prove or disprove a thing.

Thoughts? Input? Interest? Feedback? Suggestions?

Might this be a thing? Could be a pretty cool thing, I think. Just needs people. If there's actual interest in the broad scope of the genre, I'd be more disposed to start putting together a more coherent synopsis.

Probably somewhere in between. Casual, in general, but with verbose and articulate posts encouraged.. If depth of lore were taken into account (assuming I write it) that side might be more detailed. There'd be plenty for supernatural players to take into account concerning the abilities, limitations, weaknesses and dispositions of their characters' natures. Werecreatures, for instance, must take into account that their characters' minds have animal instincts, not human, and play convincingly.. either be bestial, which would cause problems (and therefor conflict and interest) or use human-level intellect to counter those instinctive impulses (thus creating intrigue, drama, and interest) ...

Would that be casual or detailed?

@Joey Winchester

Last edited by a moderator:
RedLikeRoses said:
I'm very interested. But, I've gotta tell you I didn't understand a lot of words you used.. (Yay! Dumbness! Big words confuse me!).
If there's something in particular you need clarified, just ask!

Manaciel said:
Are you looking for mythic creatures to be blended in with society?
Not openly blended, at least not at first. werewolves might hold day jobs, and participate in human society, for example, but most wouldn't know them as werewolves outside of their local pack, or any other werebeast that can scent them. Alongside, but apart, at least to start.

The blur happens when the two sides clash, which can happen for any number of reasons. Plenty of people know about vampires, seeing as vampires feed on them, but are compelled to keep quiet, and similarly, werewolf attacks do happen and though the beasts cover it up some still believe and track... etcetera etcetera etcetera.

As I said, the veil is thin, but it's still there. General public awareness of collective consciousness on the paranormal is that it doesn't exist.

This certainly sounds interesting. I like that this wouldn't be combative. And I would like to play as a human too which I'm assuming most people wouldn't.

I think this could work as a casual rp. I too have a problem with using big words, hence why I never join detailed rp's lol. This reminds me of supernatural, which I freaking love! I'm all up for this, and I wouldn't mind making up some lore or rules the creatures need to follow. I do believe that, even though it doesn't have to be completely focused on it, there should be combat rules established

[QUOTE="Joey Winchester]I do believe that, even though it doesn't have to be completely focused on it, there should be combat rules established

[/QUOTE]
If so, that's something I'd need help with. I'm not so good at coming up with actual game rules, rather than lore guidelines and tend to detest relying on dice systems as it means you could replace players with dice bubbles and get the same outcomes.

Also, I'm not one of those who insists on ten paragraphs of thesaurus abuse for a post about scratching one's proverbial backside. It's about quality, not quantity, and sometimes less can be more. I find forced overuse of unnecessarily flowery vocabulary to be a bit pretentious sometimes, so no pressure to use tons of 'big words' only to say what needs to be said in an enjoyable way.

I'm interested. I could see this work. Sadly, I've seen these kind of really cool ideas either die or are poorly maintained, and somehow end up at less then a sentence per post. Not joking.

If there is anything you'd like help with, just tag me and ask. I'm pretty good at creating lore, history, culture, and RP rules. Even though I have little experience with hosting an rp, I like to help GM's from time to time (<3)(<3)(<3)

Silvey said:
If there is anything you'd like help with, just tag me and ask. I'm pretty good at creating lore, history, culture, and RP rules. Even though I have little experience with hosting an rp, I like to help GM's from time to time
I'm already a pretty excellent lore master, Just inexperienced at actually GMing a game or freeform settling and sometimes, admittedly, suffering from poor motivation. This, though, if it gains a fair amount of interest (and it seems to be getting at least a few nibbles!) is something I do want to maintain!

Thanks in advance for vote of interest! Makes me think this might actually be something that can be bashed together.

Instead of dice, perhaps combat could simply be play by post? Hmmm, not sure if that was the correct term, but what I mean is each post is somewhat like a turn. The rpers engaged would go about hitting, dodging, wounds, etc etc. No of course this will mean everyone must be fair

[QUOTE="Joey Winchester]perhaps combat could simply be play by post?

[/QUOTE]
That's generally what freeform RP combat is, though you suggested there be specific rules, which imply objective determinations. Free form play by post is, basically, unregulated, and reliant entirely on good judgement and the honor system. In an open chat room, that can lead to loggerheads of powergamers refusing to back down, but a structured setting with one or more GMs to control and regulate events, it tends to just come down to them to settle such disputes, if they come to loggerheads.

I've always just flown by the seat of my pants, and so long as I'm playing with decent sensible players it's always worked out and been enjoyable.

Well hey, if you wanna leave out combat, then that's cool. I've never rp'd without action, but I'm willing to give it a try

[QUOTE="Joey Winchester]Well hey, if you wanna leave out combat,

[/QUOTE]
Didn't say that! I'd rather not restrict what kind of scenes can occur, only the setting and standards therein, to keep characters consistent! Most likely, if combat is to occur, it'd just be freeform play by post, on that honor system mentioned before; don't be a power gamer, or godmoder, be sensible, be reasonable, etc.

I've been in an rp without action, though to be honest it was back when I was first rping and the only thing I remember about the event is that my character ended up in hell xD

we would maybe need a second GM or if the rp gets really good(I'd consider over 25 pages or more then 10 users involved) then a third or fourth to watch and make sure people don't do that. I'm guessing what you mean by the honor system is like a strike each time they break the rules, three strikes and they are kicked out or something?

Silvey said:
I'm guessing what you mean by the honor system
Nothing so official. Honor system basically means there's no official system of judgement or punishment, and people are expected to treat each other well and be fair under their own recognizance. In other words, you trust your fellows to not be [bLEEP]s.

For instance, one of the most common issues with unregulated play by post combat is a player who always dodges everything. No matter what you post, he always says he dodges it in some way; if it's well written and makes sense, this can stretch a bit, but it reaches a point where the other player is just refusing to allow his character to take a hit unfairly. Honor system basically means you trust your fellows to not do that. To take a hit when it's sensible that they're hit, and post appropriately their injuries or debilitations that result.

Most often it comes down to what's most conducive to the plot, or as simple as what's most engaging and fun. An unbeatable invincible hero is pretty boring after all.

As for GMs, I'm pretty available at all hours of the day, but if it does become a burden, yeah, I'd want to find others to help.

I'm all for the honor system. Personally, since I'm afraid of being accused of being a god modder and everyone has a different sense of what god modding is, I always takes hits.

Now yes, if it makes sense for your character to be able to dodge a simple punch, then yes dodge. But everyone needs to reasonable

So far we've got five nibbles... More than I honestly expected (I'm always paranoid of just being entirely unnoticed) but less than i hoped..

Well, seeing as an entire day has gone by without any more bites, i'm gonna start thinking on what can be done with only five or six people, plotwise. Suggestions welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back