Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

Unpopular opinion : I like to write at least 8 sentences for my partner's love stories while I just write 3 sentences for my own OC's story because I'm blushing like hell whenever my OC's love interest does something. :closed eyes open smile:

Oh my gosh thank you. I thought I was the only one! It makes me so frustrated when people ask all these questions about my OC love stories and I’m just like “I legit don’t care can we please get back your love story, that’s so much more interesting.”

Oh my gosh thank you. I thought I was the only one! It makes me so frustrated when people ask all these questions about my OC love stories and I’m just like “I legit don’t care can we please get back your love story, that’s so much more interesting.”

LOL yes I think we both will get along very fine :closed eyes open smile:

Unpopular (?) Opinion: The OOC connection is more important than the IC connection. See, I'm the kind of gal that needs personal investment in not only the characters, but the player as well, and if we ain't clicking-...
Communication is key to a healthy RP. So honestly, I think it shouldn't be an unpopular opinion. Let's make that a popular opinion!

Controlling another person's OC just a little isn't all that bad, especially if that other person gave you consent to do so. Sometimes a reply is hard to get out or sounds stagnant or weird or ends up being super, super, super short because the person comes to an rp block. Using your partner's character (just a little) fixes that super quickly. You and your partner can also create boundaries. For instance, a close friend and I roleplayed in first-person and used each other's OCs sometimes. It wasn't often, only when direly needed. We both agreed to just control actions, not thoughts or emotions. And even if we thought that action was OOC, we'd be honest and just change what that action was in our next reply.

But I'd only recommend this to people who have a strong bond outside of the rp and know each other's characters well. I can make an entire file on my friend's character at this very moment LOL. It was almost like her OC was just as much as mine. We even considered writing a book together one day, so I think our instance was just special. I do it with another friend now, too, though.

Controlling another person's OC just a little isn't all that bad, especially if that other person gave you consent to do so. Sometimes a reply is hard to get out or sounds stagnant or weird or ends up being super, super, super short because the person comes to an rp block. Using your partner's character (just a little) fixes that super quickly. You and your partner can also create boundaries. For instance, a close friend and I roleplayed in first-person and used each other's OCs sometimes. It wasn't often, only when direly needed. We both agreed to just control actions, not thoughts or emotions. And even if we thought that action was OOC, we'd be honest and just change what that action was in our next reply.

But I'd only recommend this to people who have a strong bond outside of the rp and know each other's characters well. I can make an entire file on my friend's character at this very moment LOL. It was almost like her OC was just as much as mine. We even considered writing a book together one day, so I think our instance was just special. I do it with another friend now, too, though.

I too have done it. Communication is definitely key.

A lot of this. Especially for mundane things like your character following theirs into the other room. It's kind of a motivation killer when the only thing you can actually type is "So-and-so followed them". You can either do a short post with nothing in it or a looooong post with nothing in it.

Also my RP partner and I have more recently come to the agreement that NPCs can be handled by either one of us, especially if it's convenient. More developed characters are definitely left for their respectful owners (Even temporary ones that won't be around long) but there are some background folks that are just easier to switch on and off with, sometimes from post to post. I'll have the character Z say something in my post and she'll have character Z say something in hers. It's useful cause if Z wants to interact with my main character, she can take over. We don't wanna get stuck RPing with ourselves. Blech, boring!

It just makes things smoother. Nothing kills hype faster than posts of unnecessary exposition. Use timeskips. Be flexible with character control. Don't be afraid to move the plot along if it's stagnating, and don't be afraid to discuss things with your partner if you're not sure where to go from where you're at.

It takes a surprising amount of skill, flexibility, and trust. And mastering THOSE things takes a LOT of trial and error.

This is fine, if you've agreed it first. Anything's cool if you agree it first.

Usually "Oh hey do you mind if I assume your character does x?" is an appropriate question, or "What would your character do if y happened? Can I write that in?" But imo that's only for the occasions when it needs to be done. I definitely wouldn't do it on a regular basis even with a close friend because that's my character, yo. Hands off. XD

Unpopular (?) Opinion: The OOC connection is more important than the IC connection. See, I'm the kind of gal that needs personal investment in not only the characters, but the player as well, and if we ain't clicking-...

Oh same. I've never been able to hold up a roleplay with someone if we also didn't click in OOC. I'd also go as far as to say that my enjoyment in the other person's company contributes highly to how much I enjoy the roleplay.

Oh same. I've never been able to hold up a roleplay with someone if we also didn't click in OOC. I'd also go as far as to say that my enjoyment in the other person's company contributes highly to how much I enjoy the roleplay.

for me it depends on the RP. Some are simple enough that I can get by without interacting much with my partner. However, in others I do like to be able to talk.

for me it depends on the RP. Some are simple enough that I can get by without interacting much with my partner. However, in others I do like to be able to talk.

It doesn't really matter how simple an rp is to me. It could have the most interesting plot, or the most basic one and if I don't also enjoy the other person's company then I won't be able to continue with the roleplay for long. I've enjoyed the most basic roleplays half because of how much I've enjoyed the other's company. I guess there has to be a connection there 🤷

It doesn't really matter how simple an rp is to me. It could have the most interesting plot, or the most basic one and if I don't also enjoy the other person's company then I won't be able to continue with the roleplay for long. I've enjoyed the most basic roleplays half because of how much I've enjoyed the other's company. I guess there has to be a connection there 🤷

Well, I'm not very social to begin with and I DESPISE small talk. That could have something to do with it.

Well, I'm not very social to begin with and I DESPISE small talk. That could have something to do with it.
I go both ways. Some partners I'll chat with daily and others we're content to RP and occasionally chat throughout the week. And I've done entire RPs where we never really spoke OOC other than to plot or ask questions.

I dunno if this is unpopular, but you should literally never feel as though you HAVE to reply. It's words to a story. If you don't get a post up for a while, it's okay. You should be considerate and tell people-but you never have to reply if you feel you can't or even just don't want to.

I dunno if this is unpopular, but you should literally never feel as though you HAVE to reply. It's words to a story. If you don't get a post up for a while, it's okay. You should be considerate and tell people-but you never have to reply if you feel you can't or even just don't want to.
This. So much this. I struggle with mental illness, thus a lot of the time I physically and mentally simply cannot even bring myself to write. It can be days, weeks, sometimes even months where I'm trapped in this state. If potential writing partners are not going to be considerate of that then perhaps they're looking in the wrong place. Having that pressure to pump out replies only makes matters worse since it increases my anxiety, thus making it even harder for me to write than it already is.

Agreee. Wanting to reply because you just want to is all well and good, but I feel it's all too easy to let that turn into a sense of duty. I've had roleplays I genuinely enjoyed ruined for me because I felt that I had to reply, rather than want to. I'm trying to listen to my body and mind now. 😆

Jannah said:
This. So much this. I struggle with mental illness, thus a lot of the time I physically and mentally simply cannot even bring myself to write. It can be days, weeks, sometimes even months where I'm trapped in this state. If potential writing partners are not going to be considerate of that then perhaps they're looking in the wrong place. Having that pressure to pump out replies only makes matters worse since it increases my anxiety, thus making it even harder for me to write than it already is.

I also struggle with mental illness, to be more specific, severe anxiety. Having that pressure to pump out replies not only drains me but makes me hella anxious. Which leads to me pumping out replies I'm probably not happy with, or not thinking about my replies. Not to mention, badgering me about replies just makes it worse and turns me further away. I feel a little guilty about it, but I need time to "come back" if I'm away at all. Not to mention, I have ADHD so I have the problem where it seems like it's 'only been a few days' and then find out it's been a month. 🤷

You two seem to get it. I'm pretty new to the whole roleplaying thing, but I've been writing solo for about 15 years. And the fact that someone should feel that they HAVE to participate in a hobby is... baffling.

You two seem to get it. I'm pretty new to the whole roleplaying thing, but I've been writing solo for about 15 years. And the fact that someone should feel that they HAVE to participate in a hobby is... baffling.

I've had that problem with writing as well tbh 😆 I want to be a published author some day and my latest descent into that turned into me having an unhealthy fixation on pumping out chapter after chapter, without really thinking about it. But yeah, they're both hobbies at the end of the day. There are better ways to do it and this just ain't it, chief lol

Don't.
You.
Just.
Love.
It.
When.
Conversations.
And.
Interactions.
Feel.
As.
Awkward.
And.
Static.
As.
They.
Do.
In.
The.
Real.
World!
:D

Last edited:
Agreee. Wanting to reply because you just want to is all well and good, but I feel it's all too easy to let that turn into a sense of duty. I've had roleplays I genuinely enjoyed ruined for me because I felt that I had to reply, rather than want to. I'm trying to listen to my body and mind now. 😆

I also struggle with mental illness, to be more specific, severe anxiety. Having that pressure to pump out replies not only drains me but makes me hella anxious. Which leads to me pumping out replies I'm probably not happy with, or not thinking about my replies. Not to mention, badgering me about replies just makes it worse and turns me further away. I feel a little guilty about it, but I need time to "come back" if I'm away at all. Not to mention, I have ADHD so I have the problem where it seems like it's 'only been a few days' and then find out it's been a month. 🤷

I genuinely feel for you guys but please be up front about this when looking for RPs and try to find someone compatible and okay with this type of cadence.

There are a lot of players that need to be casual and a lot of players that need to write frequently, and both are valid.

There's a need to be considerate towards both (or all) players preferences or else it's just frustrating to everybody.

Character writing is not the only kind of writing there is. Characters are not interesting because you spent time on their back story. How they play in story is all that matters. Writers who can't balance their four pillars well and can only focus on their precious character, trying to protect them rather than play are doing their partners a tragic disservice. Characters are meant to be flexed uncomfortably. They are meant to be pushed so they can grow or crumble under the pressure. Bringing your power fantasy to an rp you're not willing to have a character suffer in at the hands of another write is a mistake. Do better. Check your feelings before putting them on a shared page.

Hot take: I absolutely do not care at all if someone ghosts. I think people take it too personally - it's very rarely a slight against you. I don't understand why everyone immediately jumps to 'THEY HAVE DONE A TERRIBLE SIN AND I MUST SWEAR VENGEANCE UPON THEIR BLOODLINE', because more often than not, they're just anxious, scared of confrontation, or just think that it's way easier to poof than to have to courteously explain that they didn't like someone's ideas/writing. I mean obviously it's more annoying if it's done a good bit into a story as opposed to after a starter post or even during planning, but other than that, why care? It was going to end either way, so it shouldn't matter how they do it. You're more likely to get upset if someone tells you that your writing was the issue.

The RP scene is a fast one, and there's no shortage of people to interact with. Little Timmy could get stuck in the well, Aunt Bertha could need a $250,000 loan wired to her bank account to give you access to your inheritance, or maybe all thirteen of your cats suddenly need emergency neurosurgery. Just go, man. Don't worry about what the partners you met three days ago will think if you don't give them a twenty-three page essay on why you have to take a sudden leave. Chances are, they'll forget in a week. Unless they're super weird and hold grudges for years. Then I guess that's a problem.

Hot take: I absolutely do not care at all if someone ghosts. I think people take it too personally - it's very rarely a slight against you. I don't understand why everyone immediately jumps to 'THEY HAVE DONE A TERRIBLE SIN AND I MUST SWEAR VENGEANCE UPON THEIR BLOODLINE', because more often than not, they're just anxious, scared of confrontation, or just think that it's way easier to poof than to have to courteously explain that they didn't like someone's ideas/writing. I mean obviously it's more annoying if it's done a good bit into a story as opposed to after a starter post or even during planning, but other than that, why care? It was going to end either way, so it shouldn't matter how they do it. You're more likely to get upset if someone tells you that your writing was the issue.

The RP scene is a fast one, and there's no shortage of people to interact with. Little Timmy could get stuck in the well, Aunt Bertha could need a $250,000 loan wired to her bank account to give you access to your inheritance, or maybe all thirteen of your cats suddenly need emergency neurosurgery. Just go, man. Don't worry about what the partners you met three days ago will think if you don't give them a twenty-three page essay on why you have to take a sudden leave. Chances are, they'll forget in a week. Unless they're super weird and hold grudges for years. Then I guess that's a problem.

This is pretty much why I make it completely clear in my interest checks that I am ghost friendly. I would be a hypocrite to oppose since I have done it myself. Sometimes mental illness just puts me in a slump and I don't feel like writing, y'know? I would almost argue that condemning ghosting is bordering on ableism. Yes it can be annoying when you're invested in a RP, but people have their own lives and needs.

I think one liners and short responses in general get a little toooo much hate. Sure, there are times when a few lines aren't enough and you need to write a longer response.. but I also think there's situations where the reverse is true, too. For instance, I feel like a lot of fight scenes go better when the responses are shorter.

Thi-i-i-i-is!

I know people want their partners to meet their level of writing skill and proficiency, but if a novelist wrote a book where every line of dialogue was embedded in a four paragraph description of the character's body language, the temperature of the room, the particular shade of the light, and the time of day in the next timezone they would get laughed out of publisher's office.

Sometimes it makes sense for there to be some quick posts back and forth to get to the next place where a nice beefy couple of paragraphs is warranted.

Thi-i-i-i-is!

I know people want their partners to meet their level of writing skill and proficiency, but if a novelist wrote a book where every line of dialogue was embedded in a four paragraph description of the character's body language, the temperature of the room, the particular shade of the light, and the time of day in the next timezone they would get laughed out of publisher's office.

Sometimes it makes sense for there to be some quick posts back and forth to get to the next place where a nice beefy couple of paragraphs is warranted.

I generally agree with this except when it comes to one-liners. Yes, action scenes are bound to be shorter due to the nature of them, but that doesn't mean they have to be one line. There's stuff that can be described. The character's surroundings as the fight is occurring, how others are reacting to the fight, trash taking during the fight, etc.

I generally agree with this except when it comes to one-liners. Yes, action scenes are bound to be shorter due to the nature of them, but that doesn't mean they have to be one line. There's stuff that can be described. The character's surroundings as the fight is occurring, how others are reacting to the fight, trash taking during the fight, etc.

Oh for sure. Like, put some effort in at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back