Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

For actors it's kind of fair game, considering they portray different roles all the time. I just think of using them as a FC as them taking on yet another role.
Fair point. With actors it's a bit less weird. They do sign up for the roles they play, so it still has some element of discomfort for me, but also they're public figures and I'd think that they would know that their picture would be used/known commonly if they became famous.

I'm the other way around about actors as faceclaims. I prefer to NOT know who the face belongs to, and would rather it be some random model instead of an actor/ress that can be easilly identified. Tbh, I don't prefer real people for faceclaims to begin with. But I much prefer them to anime faceclaims, which seem to be very common. Imo, realistic artwork of the non-anime nature make best faceclaims.

Personally, I believe that the personality personality section of a character sheet is simply a guideline to the overall character's personality, and it shouldn't bind the roleplayer to play the character following such guideline, all the time.

People react differently depending on different situations, and someone described as "calm and reserved" can act totally differently in other contexts.

I guess that my unpopular opinion has to do with what I put on the personality section of the character sheet: I like to describe how the they interact with the world, what's their thought process and their principles as well. In such way, despite different situations and on how how attached they are to their ideals, I have a solid base to to help with work with, because I'll know what they want, how they interact with what's around them, and what they value the most. And I believe that knowing those three things is necessary in order to understand the character's personality as a whole, and not just in a generic way, like overall personality sections on character sheets often describe.

I'm the other way around about actors as faceclaims. I prefer to NOT know who the face belongs to, and would rather it be some random model instead of an actor/ress that can be easilly identified. Tbh, I don't prefer real people for faceclaims to begin with. But I much prefer them to anime faceclaims, which seem to be very common. Imo, realistic artwork of the non-anime nature make best faceclaims.

Anime FC's in a RP that is meant to be realistic(and vice versa) breaks the immersion for me.

My unpopular opinion, I guess, is that I don't at all care whether there is a mix of realistic and anime fcs. I don't get how it is immersion breaking, either-- like, do you browse the thread with CVs regularly to look at the fcs, or something? When I still did group rps, I looked at people's fcs once (if that) and promptly proceeded to forget about them. It's just... not a big deal to me in a text-based hobby.

My unpopular opinion, I guess, is that I don't at all care whether there is a mix of realistic and anime fcs. I don't get how it is immersion breaking, either-- like, do you browse the thread with CVs regularly to look at the fcs, or something? When I still did group rps, I looked at people's fcs once (if that) and promptly proceeded to forget about them. It's just... not a big deal to me in a text-based hobby.
In groups, I forget exactly which character is which. This, especially if it's a big group. So i constantly go back and reference the CS

Faceclaims are unnecessary and kind of uncomfortable. I personally use them only because most rps here require them, but I've always felt odd about them. Plus, if it's a realistic faceclaim, then it feels weird to use an actual person's face for an rp. And, frankly, searching for them is pretty annoying (which is why I usually determine appearance last). I kinda wish that less rps here would require faceclaims, and would allow things like just written descriptions instead.
Totally agree. I’m new to this site but I’ve rped in a lot of other sites, and eventually I just stopped using a faceclaim. I think they’re hard to look for and, especially if it’s one that requires a drawing, I feel weird pulling somebody’s else work. They’re hard to look for, especially for characters who might not match the traditional appearance of an actor or mode. I much prefer giving a general description of your character and letting the other players fill in the blanks. When I rp I very rarely actually picture the other character’s face claim in the first place. At least for me, I find having a faceclaim unnecessary

For actors it's kind of fair game, considering they portray different roles all the time. I just think of using them as a FC as them taking on yet another role.
I never really understood this line of reasoning.

Like, actors typically willingly pick what role they want to play so I don't see how that would make it less creepy to use their picture to represent a character than using someone who isn't an actor.

Okay here we go . . . threads like this within RP communities are toxic (and hostile too)!

Last edited:
regarding the topic of face claims, i've always found it strange when people use realistic face claims of people that are of a different ethnicity than the one described in their character sheet. like, when people use a chinese face claim for a korean character or vice versa. it's understandable if your character is of mixed heritage and you're having trouble finding, like, a quarter vietnamese, quarter chinese, half korean person to use as a face claim, but if your character is japanese there is really no excuse not to,, have a japanese person as a face claim?? just something about the innate wrongness of reducing a person purely to their aesthetic appeal to the point that even their ethnic identity becomes malleable.
(this isn't just limited to east asian face claims, although it's the clearest example i can think of at the top of my head).
i suppose the whole concept of realistic face claims is kind of dehumanizing, but i do feel like a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Last edited:
regarding the topic of face claims, i've always found it strange when people use realistic face claims of people that are of a different ethnicity than the one described in their character sheet. like, when people use a chinese face claim for a korean character or vice versa. it's understandable if your character is of mixed heritage and you're having trouble finding, like, a quarter vietnamese, quarter chinese, half korean person to use as a face claim, but if your character is japanese there is really no excuse not to,, have a japanese person as a face claim?? just something about the innate wrongness of reducing a person purely to their aesthetic appeal to the point that even their ethnic identity becomes malleable.
(this isn't just limited to east asian face claims, although it's the clearest example i can think of at the top of my head).
i suppose the whole concept of realistic face claims is kind of dehumanizing, but i do feel like a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Yep. I always make my characters the same ethnicity as their face claim.

Okay here we go . . . threads like this within RP communities are toxic (and hostile too)!
It's like medieval medicine. We don't know any better, so we riddle ourselves with poisons and destructive treatments and just hope it kills whatever illness we have or banishes whatever demon is possessing us before it kills us first.

Personally, I'm all for it. The pain is a rush.

so do you mean venting threads in general or unpopular opinions in particular?

cuz I don’t think unpopular opinions are toxic unless it’s like “I think I should be able to call people slurs without the snowflakes getting their panties in a bunch.”

But I can sort of see the idea of venting threads in general. (Don’t agree personally but then it wouldn’t be unpopular opinion if everyone agreed).

nerdy tangents nerdy tangents

Unpopular opinion threads by design are meant to divide its participants by having them make divisive statements about a subject where in the participants choose to either agree or disagree. Priming the thread environment to be one of disagreement, and if the disagreement is disagreeable enough to the majority of participants it leads to hostility. Participate in this thread long enough and you'll find that if you are on the opposing side with the least amount of support that the experience is not kind or enjoyable; and can be very hostile.

This thread would be much less hostile and toxic if the point wasn't to reply to peoples unpopular opinion, but to post and leave it to the void! For example I have more or less posted and not responded in defense of what I said, because for the most part I know my opinion a) meets the criterial of the thread being it is an actual unpopular opinion, and b) the first reply I received tried to get me to debate about my personal character and defame myself publicly to try and make a point. Which sort of supports my point that this thread is toxic and leads people into unhealth circular debates, or to take personal affront to those opinions that really do hit a button or two. (*also the user and I spoke on this topic privately, we good I think, no hard feelings and they're pretty damn chill!)

I want to note that I don't think the people are toxic. Only that the nature of this thread is the perfect environment for toxic and hostile behavior; of which I have witnessed and experienced while in this thread and others of similar type.

And I don't blame anyone for participating, bitching is fun to do I understand! We all love a good vent and its made better when others rally behind you and support your opinion.

And so I repeat: "I SAID WHAT I SAID! THANKS FOR COMING TO MY TED TALK!"

Last edited:
Ooh! Here's an unpopular opinion: I hate threads that are like "is it okay for people who are x to play y".

Because most of the time the answer is: yes, yes it is. It's not that hard a question. Can white people play black people? Well, last I checked Black Panther was created by a white guy. And Justice League (the cartoon) was written by white guys and had John Stewart as their Green Lantern (in fact, Hal Jordan only ever got a cameo in that show). Seriously, guys.

Faceclaims are unnecessary and kind of uncomfortable. I personally use them only because most rps here require them, but I've always felt odd about them. Plus, if it's a realistic faceclaim, then it feels weird to use an actual person's face for an rp. And, frankly, searching for them is pretty annoying (which is why I usually determine appearance last). I kinda wish that less rps here would require faceclaims, and would allow things like just written descriptions instead.
I always ask for either one or the other, pics just help visualize the character more I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back