• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic UEEF Marines - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
O.K.! So... Mechanical Engineer and Robot Engineer?

The bears have special war-shovel? Could my character get a couple of those and if so, what weapon proficiency are we talking about here? Blunt?

I don't have my books in front of me. Can the shovels be dual-wielded? Or can smaller ones who may be made available for use with paired weapons? (In the true spirit of nerds everywhere, my bear is a big fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles who often use paired weapons. "Cowabunga!")
Here is a quickie copy/paste of the Karbarran war shovel.
Karbarran War Shovel
Laboring in the Sekitan furnaces, shoveling massive amounts
of the ore into the furnaces, is a job so ingrained in Karbarran culture
that it has achieved mythic proportions. Stories of adventuring
and heroic Karbarran laborers read like a blend between the
tales of great warriors and hard-working everyman folk heroes.
If you can imagine what a tale of the legendary samurai Musashi
mixed with legends of John Henry or Paul Bunyan would be like,
then you have a good idea of a Karbarran hero myth.
Crucial to almost all of such tales is the Karbarran shovel,
used mainly for shoveling Sekitan, but also often used in legend
as a mighty weapon wielded with deadly accuracy and incredible
strength. They are a blend between shovel and battle axe, with the
edge and sides honed to a deadly blade. They often have horns
or spikes down the haft as well. But the real power comes from
the weapon's weight. The heavier the war shovel the better, and
ancient tales are full of Karbarran heroes who wielded war shovels
of ridiculous weight as though they were feathers. Needless to
say, most non-Karbarrans cannot even pick these weapons up, let
alone wield them effectively in battle.
In recent centuries, the Karbarrans have added Protoculture
batteries to the haft to cause the blades to be surrounded by a
high-frequency vibration field, allowing them to easily cut
through Mega-Damage alloys.
Weight: 140 pounds (63 kg).
Mega-Damage: 5D6 S.D.C. plus any strength bonus unpowered,
3D6 M.D. when powered up.
Rate of Fire: Melee weapon, equal to the hand to hand attacks of
the wielder.
Note: For use by Karbarrans only. Not only the weight, but the
shape and design are very alien to any other species, while the
Karbarrans see them as common and as utilitarian as a human
might see a hunting rifle. Any non-Karbarran trying to use one in
combat is at -6 to strike and parry (too heavy for automatic parry,
so each parry would bum an attack) and each swing takes two
attacks. The Shovel, itself has 70 M.D.C.

I would say that WP Blunt would give you the needed skill to use it properly. It will be far too big and bulky to dual wield. I may allow you to come up with a smaller version that can be used one handed.

I love how some races have cool weapons associated with them; the Paraxians have their spear, the Spherians can make lasers. Then there are the Karbarrans. They have a shovel. That just cracks me up.

Ah! Terrific! Thank you for copying all that!

Man oh man, the idea of having even non-powered or maybe E-clip-powered one-handed war shovels is really cool! My bear has a thing for plants so I can imagine he would use the smaller shovels to help him with his botany.

If so, vibro-knives do like d6 damage, gladius-style weapons do something like 2d4, while great swords due 2d6 M.D.. Cyclones have their own forearm stabbies too, don't they?

I love how some races have cool weapons associated with them; the Paraxians have their spear, the Spherians can make lasers. Then there are the Karbarrans. They have a shovel. That just cracks me up.
Right? A shovel of all things!

But the really tough part so far is a name. I want a really nerdy name that no other bear is likely to have! Hmm. He's a real fan of human entertainment, hence his love for Jeet Kune Do and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Maybe he takes on a human name too?

Bear-like? Nerdy? T'kar... C'arl...

How about... C'osmo Winnie Paddington the First!

Hah!

Guys? What do you think?

lol Hadn't thought of that before. You are right. That is funny.

I am feeling that the should maybe change Mecha engineering for Onni to something else at this point since it seems everyone is taking it. I want Onni to be unique and be able to contribute something that the rest of the team does not have (beyond his daily 5 minutes of Hin powers).

I would have to change some of his history and commentary but I can do it.

I am feeling that the should maybe change Mecha engineering for Onni to something else at this point since it seems everyone is taking it. I want Onni to be unique and be able to contribute something that the rest of the team does not have (beyond his daily 5 minutes of Hin powers).

Up to you. I am fine with this.

Also, just to let everyone know, I have two other friends of mine in my Real Life group that are probably going to be joining up on RpN in the next few days. Still haven't heard from jai-me, so he is a question mark in my mind right now. We'll have a full squad of misfits soon enough!

Purr Purr Do you want the stats for the Karbarran Ion Rifle? It is in the UEEF Marines book.

Eonivar Eonivar

Hey you! My character is not taking mecha engineering (neither the skill nor the MOS). In order to do his robotics stuff, he's taking mechanical engineering along with robotics engineering, per Sherwood.

My bear is a scientist, Silverback driver, martial artist, and robot hobbyist. Mecha engineering, in my eyes, is your character's thing. =)

What is wrong with using the name T'kar? Is that one reserved for the other character?
Psychie Psychie Sure is! =) It is like asking me to play someone named Bria, Da Chonk, Cera, or Gradicus - these names are used for characters already in my head. Could you really play a very different character using the name Toph Kirin? Perhaps you can, but it's beyond me. =)

Also, just to let everyone know, I have two other friends of mine in my Real Life group that are probably going to be joining up on RpN in the next few days. Still haven't heard from jai-me, so he is a question mark in my mind right now. We'll have a full squad of misfits soon enough!
Terrific!

Purr Purr Do you want the stats for the Karbarran Ion Rifle? It is in the UEEF Marines book.
Ah, sure! Could I ask you to put it into the Lore section?

Hey you! My character is not taking mecha engineering (neither the skill nor the MOS). In order to do his robotics stuff, he's taking mechanical engineering along with robotics engineering, per Sherwood.
Well if that is the case I will not make any changes to Onni then

Well I should correct myself, I did make a change to Onni, I made him very likable, he has a MA of 24 now.

Sherwood Sherwood See? You're a step ahead of yourself! =)

Do you honestly want one-handed E-clip war-shovels or the like in your game? I can find something else if it's more convenient for you?

Well if that is the case I will not make any changes to Onni then.
Hooray!

Eonivar Eonivar I'm being a little silly here, but you have gone so far to make a new character who is "chipper" instead of haunted like wonderful Mercy - I feel the least the rest of us can do is leave your character to their chosen specialty! Ha ha!

If your character wants someone else in the team to lend a hand, that's another thing. You know? =)

Well I should correct myself, I did make a change to Onni, I made him very likable, he has a MA of 24 now.
Uh oh! The ladies of his species better look out! =)

Edit: I'm communicating from my phone. I meant to write "lend a hand." Whoops!

Last edited:
Eonivar Eonivar I'm being a little silly here, but you have gone so far to make a new character who is "chipper" instead of haunted like wonderful Mercy - I feel the least the rest of us can do is leave your character to their chosen specialty! Ha ha!

If your character wants someone else in the team to love the hand, that's another thing. You know? =)

Well...I went chipper in this because of very haunted tortured Mercy ,and Sesi, my water bender who had a great tragedy occur in their life (Sesi is non-binary). I like a bit of variety with my OCs. ;-)

Uh oh! The ladies of his species better look out! =)
MA is a strange stat. It is defined as "Mental Affinity (M.A.) represents the character's likeability, personal charm, and charisma." He gets a percentage skill to evoke trust or intimidation (his choice) depending on the situation and it is not race specific. So Onni is a very likable soul by EVERYONE that no one would want to get on his mean side.

Well...I went chipper in this because of very haunted tortured Mercy ,and Sesi, my water bender who had a great tragedy occur in their life (Sesi is non-binary). I like a bit of variety with my OCs. ;-)

MA is a strange stat. It is defined as "Mental Affinity (M.A.) represents the character's likeability, personal charm, and charisma." He gets a percentage skill to evoke trust or intimidation (his choice) depending on the situation and it is not race specific. So Onni is a very likable soul by EVERYONE that no one would want to get on his mean side.
Eonivar Eonivar Except maybe for perhaps some enemies who might hate him for his charm or ability to intimidate them?

In Real Life, I have watched women get unreasonably upset (even spiteful) at the mere sight of another woman whom they viewed as having something they didn't have (like womanly charm or a fit physique/high P.B.).

I agree. M.A. is a strange Attribute and should be handled carefully. As a Game Master, I've always taken into account the viewpoint of the PC/NPC in the vicinity of the character with high M.A..

Whoops. Its already there at the bottom of the list.
Sherwood Sherwood Unless it's issued to him and he has no choice, I think I'd like to pass and instead use the HRG-140 railgun on the Silverback along with a Gallant, please? (It is an all-around better weapon of about equal weight to the weaker bear Ion Rifle.)

(I'd also love to use the M440 mortar as a direct-fire weapon except that in Palladium it takes two Actions to use every time unless you have a second person. In Vietnam, there is the story of the highly-desperate MACV-SOG soldier aiming and firing a mortar straight at the far-more-numerous enemy - to devastating effect - in order to save himself and his guys. Wow!)

Sherwood Sherwood Unless it's issued to him and he has no choice, I think I'd like to pass and instead use the HRG-140 railgun on the Silverback along with a Gallant, please? (It is an all-around better weapon of about equal weight to the weaker bear Ion Rifle.)

(I'd also love to use the M440 mortar as a direct-fire weapon except that in Palladium it takes two Actions to use every time unless you have a second person. In Vietnam, there is the story of the highly-desperate MACV-SOG soldier aiming and firing a mortar straight at the far-more-numerous enemy - to devastating effect - in order to save himself and his guys. Wow!)
It is not going to be required for you to use either the shovel or the ion rifle. You can get the Gallant no problem as a personal sidearm/rifle, and use the railguns and other bang-bangs to good effect on your Silverback.

The M440 is a possibility, depending on the mission.

It is not going to be required for you to use either the shovel or the ion rifle. You can get the Gallant no problem as a personal sidearm/rifle, and use the railguns and other bang-bangs to good effect on your Silverback.

The M440 is a possibility, depending on the mission.
O.K..

I didn't mean to include the shovel in that statement. I'd like for him to have a two-handed shovel and a pair of one-handed shovels if you want those in the game?

Do you want me to write up some kind of basic schematic for what a one-handed e-clip-fed war-shovel might look like?

Sherwood Sherwood Oh wait. The big shovel runs on protoculture right? You can't even use that thing without Invid everywhere knowing about it. Let's scratch that for the sake of the team?

O.K..

I didn't mean to include the shovel in that statement. I'd like for him to have a two-handed shovel and a pair of one-handed shovels if you want those in the game?

Do you want me to write up some kind of basic schematic for what a one-handed e-clip-fed war-shovel might look like?
Having the shovel won't be a problem. I can let you use it no problem.
Sherwood Sherwood Oh wait. The big shovel runs on protoculture right? You can't even use that thing without Invid everywhere knowing about it. Let's scratch that for the sake of the team?
All of your mecha use Protoculture in their mecha modes. If you transform at all, you have to use the Invid magnet power source. It can be useful, even when not powered up. Your choice, though.

Sherwood Sherwood

I'll know more when I get home. Having just read through the main story, I have a better grasp on what kind of game this is. I probably should have done that first! Heh!

I have a basic background for my character, but there are a couple things I'd like to know for the sake of culture. I know this is a Robotech game, but do Bruce Lee and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles exist? I would really rather my bear not be yet another Lynn Minmei fan (though a certain Garudan fan we have in the squad did a fantastic job of expressing his affection for the most popular singer in the whole universe - go Eon!).

I would like that my character is something ever reject even among the bear people and has thus, being educated in the fields of anthropology and archeology, embraced some human culture instead. Is that all right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back