Types of role plays and things role players do that annoy you

Crybaby kids.It was the thing that made me drop a roleplay. After like ten pages of one liners per night coming from players with multi characters this was the last straw.

[QUOTE="Sibylline Oracle]Players who demand relationships between two characters instead of letting it occur naturally (if it occurs at all).
Players who demand or brusquely 'request' exceptions in the rules for them and/or their characters.

Players who don't want their characters to experience the in-character consequences of said characters' in-character actions.

But at the top of my list has to be the so-called 'munchkin', who plays a non-competitive roleplay to "win", often by trying to either kill all the other player characters and/or make his/her character nigh untouchable through numerous strengths and inconsequential weaknesses.

[/QUOTE]
Isn't the "munchin" just God moding?

People who start role plays and then never come back to reply. That's happened with I think at least three role plays.

People who sign up for role plays and then they never respond at all or they quit after a few pages and just don't notify anybody. Happened with a role play I was on.

eclipsehowls said:
People who start role plays and then never come back to reply. That's happened with I think at least three role plays.
People who sign up for role plays and then they never respond at all or they quit after a few pages and just don't notify anybody. Happened with a role play I was on.
I've done that before.

Came back to reply every once in a while though. Just glad I had a Co-GM helping out in by absences.

eclipsehowls said:
People who start role plays and then never come back to reply.
Guilty as charged. I'm fairly certain that the universe is actually able to sense when I've started a thread and conspires to destroy my schedule for 3 to 6 weeks afterwards.

Thing that annoys me most are roleplayers who refuse to accept that their character is too overpowered for the thread and needs to be toned down.

welian said:
Thing that annoys me most are roleplayers who refuse to accept that their character is too overpowered for the thread and needs to be toned down.
I've run into a fairly significant (but civil) disagreement about of one of my characters power level. It was for a superhero RP. The GM had provided an example of a popular comic book superhero to use as the RP's baseline. As a comic book fan, I was very familiar with said character, so I thought I understood what the GM was looking for.

It turns out I didn't. The GM liked most of my character but explained to me that his powers were just too super for the setting. I disagreed and backed out of the RP. I still believe that, going by the baseline provided, my character didn't need to be toned down.

@Bone2pick

As, that sucks. I've been in both those positions before. Spirit versus letter of the law and all that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GM only had casual knowledge of the character or was thinking of a different instance of them. I've done that before. It's the worst thing ever, when you realize there's a player who knows way more than you on something and it feels like they're reaching for every loophole they can grab.

Just to be clear I wasn't looking for any loopholes. I made a standard energy projector with zero additional powers. He was far from a super powered game changer imo.

But the GM and I settled it well. And I'd still sign up for one of her future RPs.

I was really worried when I started RP'ing, with people mentioning overpowered characters EVERY time. I thought it'd be a really common practice. So far though, I've only ran into two occassions where that happened, and one of them was quickly cleared. I think I might have might one overpowered character, but it did have relevance to the story at hand, so I'll give myself a pass for that and hope noone will ever notice. ('OoO')

[QUOTE="Maverick Tenshi]Isn't the "munchin" just God moding?

[/QUOTE]
Comes from TTRPGs of the 80s and 90s; a munchkin is someone who exploits the system to make a broken character, and then plays to win or just to screw with the other players.

Now I think about it, I don't know why we use munchkin.

You guys use God-Moding because your generation of roleplayers would've picked it up from videogames.

Grey said:
Comes from TTRPGs of the 80s and 90s; a munchkin is someone who exploits the system to make a broken character, and then plays to win or just to screw with the other players.

You guys use God-Moding because your generation of roleplayers would've picked it up from videogames.
Fair enough point, the community I saw the phrase God moding used was a former gaming website.

Edit: also, most of the interactions were PVP action instead of co-op rp

Bone2pick said:
I've run into a fairly significant (but civil) disagreement about of one of my characters power level. It was for a superhero RP. The GM had provided an example of a popular comic book superhero to use as the RP's baseline. As a comic book fan, I was very familiar with said character, so I thought I understood what the GM was looking for.
It turns out I didn't. The GM liked most of my character but explained to me that his powers were just too super for the setting. I disagreed and backed out of the RP. I still believe that, going by the baseline provided, my character didn't need to be toned down.
That's actually something that I would do if I made a superhero RP.

Grey said:
It comes from the term used by older D&D players who were confronted with younger, power-gaming oriented players who created their characters to be super-powerful or to exploit a specific game-breaking combination. They coined the term from the Munchkins of The Wizard of Oz, who were short, annoying and frankly ridiculous.

Captain Hesperus

Pet peeves of mine, include:

Players that refuse to accept that people have lives.

I love this website. I love to roleplay. If I need to post that bad in a roleplay I know I need to post. If it needs to be done immediately because of whatever, the DM should tell me to hurry up.

Even as a player, though, it's totally cool to remind me to post... once.

I have a life. I have school and homework and tabletop sessions.

That doesn't change because of a roleplay, though oh I wish it could.

Another is players that don't let the GM, the DM, the ST (or whatever other term you use) do their job.

It becomes clear pretty quickly how dedicated a GM is. Life happens, though, and if a GM needs to bail... they need to. (The 'people have lives' bit again.)

Unless your GM bails and puts you in charge of the roleplay certain things are none of your business. (Enforcing the rules, making side plots... etc.)

The last is posts that either don't add anything to the plot, or try to negate other things. (Though a player shouldn't take over the plot, discussion about possible side plots with the GM is wonderful.) Roleplaying, at its core, is a type of improv. Improv centers around the ability to accept previous information as fact and add to it.

From the words of an internet article (here's the link, 11 ways to be a better roleplayer - I think Welian linked me somewhere.)

"Negating another player’s actions is fairly useless play; it takes two possible story-changing elements and whacks them against each other so hard that neither of them works. For example, your fighter wants to punch some jerk, but your monk’s against it, so he grabs the fighter’s hand. In game terms, nothing’s happened. All you’ve done is waste time, and we don’t have infinite supplies of that."

On the forum, we have time. But we lose interest if we waste it.

Anyhow, back to character creation and cleaning.

Things that annoy me include but not limited to are...

Special little snowflakes, which has probably been said by other people on this thread but goddamn. Your character was abandoned by parents but ended up making some sort of living?..Ok. Your character was abandoned by parents because you have X Number of mental illnesses you have probably failed to research, let's be honest. Ended up having a super fucked up and messed up life. Why?...because why the hell not?

Tragic backstories are absolutely fine with me when they actually contribute to the story or character, but if they're only there just so your character is interesting then please get out.

Really really bad grammar. Hell this post probably has a number of inaccuracies but it's the incredibly noticeable ones that irk me the most. "helo there, my naime is heather." Like at least put it in some sort of Spell check or something. OH! And..One liners are obviously the bane of every Role-players existence and those who post them should be burned at the stake. You could at least show some twinge of effort and have a little bit of pride, not just posting a line that can barely make the story progress and actually make it harder for people to progress because they don't know how to react to your tiny line.

I'm a decent fan of anime, I've watched...5?..10 Animes in total. People who over-use anime tropes really bother me such as "BIG TIT ONEE SAMA" Or some other crap characters like that, like reeaallllyy?...Unless your Rp is purposely trying to be satire or something, then that's just plain sad. People who over glorify Japan and anime as well really get to me. You enjoy anime?...Goood for you. You won't stop talking about 100's Number of animes you have spent hours on and keep obsessing over it?...That's nice but I really don't care in any way and want you to stop talking about it as if it's some fanatical religion. People who also want to go to Japan only because of anime should get shot by a Musket. Do you actually know what its like there?...The culture and socitial norms?...Like at all? I say this because I've seen characters who do this in Highschool Rp's and it annoys me to no end, making me cringe.

That relates to my next peeve, people who don't do bloody research. You could at least show a tiny amount of decency and do some research on a Countries Culture/ Mental Illness / Sexuality / Disease or Sickness. If your doing it to be some trendy "interesting" people, you kinda just make me want to avoid rping with you til the end of time. I've also noticed how Gay characters are magically trendy now?...I'm flattered and all, but you know the majority of the worlds population isn't Gay right?....Your rp that has 8 other different orientations and 1 Straight person logically makes no sense what so ever.

Romance is another thing I would like to touch upon. Especially those that happen in like 1-2 pages and looks so obviously forced. I'm sorry but If Romance happened that easy, I would've been swept off my feet by some glorious blonde or ginger with amazing eyes and hair. You could like have patience and make it seem like the romance is genuine instead of going "Omg these characters are cute together, Sugoi sugoi. TIME TO SHIP." Again, that literally barely if ever happens in real life and just seems reallllyy stupid and fake. It's so obviously forced that it's not even satisfying to see them fall in love...and seems plain wrong.

Those who abandon a Rp or disappear without a word are incredibly annoying. You have a life, yes everyone does. But surely you could spare literally 15 or so seconds to type out how you'll be incapable of participating or running the rp. Sure people may get annoyed, but it's so much better than going "poof, deal with it. bye."

Hm....Oh another thing would be really obvious guys playing a purposely slutty or down right degrading female character, WITH NO REASON WHAT SO EVER. If your doing some sort of Highschool stereotype Rp, Then sure go ahead. It's actually related and makes sense. But if your in some sort of Medieval rp and your character dons super boob armor with a short skirt, Then you should just stop rping for a while and think about that. I highly doubt Women go about doing that in real life daily. The communities that make up the Majority of Highschool Rp's also make me want to cry until my eyes become prunes.

I have seen all of this happen in some shape or form, either on this site or others.

*Breaths*

M'kay that's pretty much everything I've bothered to cover so far. I'm going to slink off into my dwelling now.

[QUOTE="Dr Nyx]I'm sorry but If Romance happened that easy, I would've been swept off my feet by some glorious blonde or ginger with amazing eyes and hair.

[/QUOTE]
:D

One of the biggest pet peeves I have is when users use their characters to personify themselves. Sometimes, I can ignore it. Most of the time... it affects the IC as a whole in terms of character interactions. Take a user that uses characters to have an outlet to invoke the perfect version of themselves. When a different character comes along that "ruins" it or there are users they don't like, they would take it out in character in the thread. It becomes a vendetta fest just to put users down and make themselves feel better about their lives.... I hope this makes sense.

[QUOTE="infamous H4V0C]One of the biggest pet peeves I have is when users use their characters to personify themselves. Sometimes, I can ignore it. Most of the time... it affects the IC as a whole in terms of character interactions. Take a user that uses characters to have an outlet to invoke the perfect version of themselves. When a different character comes along that "ruins" it or there are users they don't like, they would take it out in character in the thread. It becomes a vendetta fest just to put users down and make themselves feel better about their lives.... I hope this makes sense.

[/QUOTE]
I do that sometimes. :3 Though I don't think I put others don't because they 'ruin' anything. Mostly because I never considered anything being ruined. (Unless people just go YOLO and completely ignore everything that has happened)

[QUOTE="Dr Nyx]
Things that annoy me include but not limited to are...
Special little snowflakes, which has probably been said by other people on this thread but goddamn. Your character was abandoned by parents but ended up making some sort of living?..Ok. Your character was abandoned by parents because you have X Number of mental illnesses you have probably failed to research, let's be honest. Ended up having a super fucked up and messed up life. Why?...because why the hell not?

Tragic backstories are absolutely fine with me when they actually contribute to the story or character, but if they're only there just so your character is interesting then please get out.

Really really bad grammar. Hell this post probably has a number of inaccuracies but it's the incredibly noticeable ones that irk me the most. "helo there, my naime is heather." Like at least put it in some sort of Spell check or something. OH! And..One liners are obviously the bane of every Role-players existence and those who post them should be burned at the stake. You could at least show some twinge of effort and have a little bit of pride, not just posting a line that can barely make the story progress and actually make it harder for people to progress because they don't know how to react to your tiny line.

I'm a decent fan of anime, I've watched...5?..10 Animes in total. People who over-use anime tropes really bother me such as "BIG TIT ONEE SAMA" Or some other crap characters like that, like reeaallllyy?...Unless your Rp is purposely trying to be satire or something, then that's just plain sad. People who over glorify Japan and anime as well really get to me. You enjoy anime?...Goood for you. You won't stop talking about 100's Number of animes you have spent hours on and keep obsessing over it?...That's nice but I really don't care in any way and want you to stop talking about it as if it's some fanatical religion. People who also want to go to Japan only because of anime should get shot by a Musket. Do you actually know what its like there?...The culture and socitial norms?...Like at all? I say this because I've seen characters who do this in Highschool Rp's and it annoys me to no end, making me cringe.

That relates to my next peeve, people who don't do bloody research. You could at least show a tiny amount of decency and do some research on a Countries Culture/ Mental Illness / Sexuality / Disease or Sickness. If your doing it to be some trendy "interesting" people, you kinda just make me want to avoid rping with you til the end of time. I've also noticed how Gay characters are magically trendy now?...I'm flattered and all, but you know the majority of the worlds population isn't Gay right?....Your rp that has 8 other different orientations and 1 Straight person logically makes no sense what so ever.

Romance is another thing I would like to touch upon. Especially those that happen in like 1-2 pages and looks so obviously forced. I'm sorry but If Romance happened that easy, I would've been swept off my feet by some glorious blonde or ginger with amazing eyes and hair. You could like have patience and make it seem like the romance is genuine instead of going "Omg these characters are cute together, Sugoi sugoi. TIME TO SHIP." Again, that literally barely if ever happens in real life and just seems reallllyy stupid and fake. It's so obviously forced that it's not even satisfying to see them fall in love...and seems plain wrong.

Those who abandon a Rp or disappear without a word are incredibly annoying. You have a life, yes everyone does. But surely you could spare literally 15 or so seconds to type out how you'll be incapable of participating or running the rp. Sure people may get annoyed, but it's so much better than going "poof, deal with it. bye."

Hm....Oh another thing would be really obvious guys playing a purposely slutty or down right degrading female character, WITH NO REASON WHAT SO EVER. If your doing some sort of Highschool stereotype Rp, Then sure go ahead. It's actually related and makes sense. But if your in some sort of Medieval rp and your character dons super boob armor with a short skirt, Then you should just stop rping for a while and think about that. I highly doubt Women go about doing that in real life daily. The communities that make up the Majority of Highschool Rp's also make me want to cry until my eyes become prunes.

I have seen all of this happen in some shape or form, either on this site or others.

*Breaths*

M'kay that's pretty much everything I've bothered to cover so far. I'm going to slink off into my dwelling now.

[/QUOTE]
That's pretty extensive.

- Bad grammar/spelling

- People only posting only one line of text

- People doing stuff that makes no sense/should not be possible

- Half-assed characters with barely any description/personality.

- When someone completely ignores/dismisses anything that's been said apart from what's happening to their own character

- People making their character avoid things because the player knows what's going to happen -- even if the character doesn't.

- Godmodding/Railroading ect

- Something that could seriously traumatize the character has happened, but there is no real reaction.

- Lack of plot/objective

- When the entire cast of characters is solely comprised of 15 year old girls.

[QUOTE="London Fog]

• So I had joined this Death Note roleplay, right? (haha weab alert)

[/QUOTE]
Went and found this RP out of curiosity and just.. ughhh

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back