Types of role plays and things role players do that annoy you

DerUbermensch said:
One thing I really dislike these days: Munchkins. They derail the RP. A good example to imagine is that someone wanting to play as a ninja in an RP involving Renaissance Italy's political intrigue. Those who play to win even if it's not the point. My reasoning is modest. Structure is very important to me. So the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.
You saying you wouldn't play or a run an Asscreed game?

Probably the most annoying thing is when people make Female characters and right away make them talk and think about their own breasts, along with the occasional boy...

Like no woman ever really thinks that in real life. Most anyway.

readingraebow said:
this person decides their character is going to be the special snowflake that writes in first person perspective and it just drove me UP A WALL.
readingraebow said:
if I say you write like it's a novel then that's what your going to do.
I cannot wait to be in a game with you so I can break out into a James Joyce style of first person, stream of consciousness.

JK, I'd want to shoot myself just as bad as you would. ;)

AlexSilverX said:
The main reason is exactly that statistic; most RPers (with some notable exceptions) are white. A lot of RPers fear they won't be able to identify with or (worse) portray accurately a character of another ethnic background. Personally, I am guilty of this. I will only play a white character unless absolutely impossible because I am TERRIFIED of being called out on inaccurate portrayal, stereotyping or racism.
Example: Once, I made an african-american character for an RP. The character sheet was really weird and included things like "favorite food". I blanked, so I wrote simply "fried chicken" because that's a good food. It's not my favorite, but I like it and I can easily identify with - and thus, portray accurately - a character who likes it. The mod of the RP, who happened to be of an african background himself and who knew I was caucasian, FLIPPED HIS SHIT so hard about the fried chicken thing I gave up joining the RP altogether.

I know those kinds of situations are the exception, not the norm, but having been raised in a Canada where multiculturalism is enforced, yet "only white people can be racist", I actively avoid any form of discussion on the topic of race unless I am 100% aware and avoid portraying people of other races in my writing.

But that's me, other cases may differ.
LOL!! I think that part of being an aware person involves having some knowledge of common stereotypes and having the common sense to avoid them IC. xD Most characters I play are not of my own ethnic background. I'm Mexican-American (but since most RPers are white, I suppose people assume I am as well) and I have yet to be accused of racism. I also come from a city that is extremely ethnically diverse so I have had a lot of face time with people who are from different cultures than mine. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience when trying to branch out into a character that was not ethnically like yourself. That moderator may have had some rough experiences and maybe he took that out on you. I don't blame you for not wanting to try that experiment again.

I guess that type of reaction really limits people from trying different things and is part of my annoyance at the whole situation. Hopefully you'll have a better experience if you every try it again.

Xixo said:
LOL!! I think that part of being an aware person involves having some knowledge of common stereotypes and having the common sense to avoid them IC. xD Most characters I play are not of my own ethnic background. I'm Mexican-American (but since most RPers are white, I suppose people assume I am as well) and I have yet to be accused of racism. I also come from a city that is extremely ethnically diverse so I have had a lot of face time with people who are from different cultures than mine. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience when trying to branch out into a character that was not ethnically like yourself. That moderator may have had some rough experiences and maybe he took that out on you. I don't blame you for not wanting to try that experiment again.
I guess that type of reaction really limits people from trying different things and is part of my annoyance at the whole situation. Hopefully you'll have a better experience if you every try it again.
I'm hoping it'll be the case, but in the meantime I'm understandably reticent. It's just that there are so many stereotypes that it's difficult to include NONE of them.

For example, if I make an african-american character, I have to make sure that he:

1. Doesn't like Purple drank and fried chicken, or chicken and grape-flavored things in general, does not enjoy soul food. gizzards, cornbread, ham hocks, green beans, watermelon... etc.

2. Isn't particularly good at jumping, running or any other physical activity which may or may not be associated with basket ball.

3. Does not come from a below-average background in terms of wealth, or is poor himself.

4. Does not have abusive parents.

5. Does not have absent parents.

6. If a male, must have no criminal activity, especially pertaining to being a ganster. If a female, must not be a hooker.

7. Does not have braids or relaxers.

8. Does not have a big... everything (lips, eyes, butt, wide hips, nose, head, feet, breasts, long breasts, ect.)

9. Does not do or sell drugs of any kind.

10. Does not spend a lot of his money on shoes (or has a lot of shoes)

11. Does not have a lot of black friends.

12. Does not have ashy skin.

13. Did not vote for Obama...

14. They must not be dumb or promiscuous.

Okay, it's a lot of TINY things which can be avoided at a point or another, but its all things that need to be kept track of and avoided constantly at all times. It also severely limits character possibilities. Likewise, at what point does avoiding the stereotype become a stereotype itself and if I'm so worried about not matching the stereotype, do I end up portraying their ethnic background inaccurately? I don't know, I'm most likely over-thinking it. This "fear of being inappropriate" is really annoying.

I have many things I dislike in RP's and RPers... Let's see here, let's start with something everybody clearly hates... Extremely short replies... I hate it when I go out of the way to type up a few paragraphs for a RP, then somebody comes in and just types up a sentence or two calling it a reply. What's worse, most GM's allow it even though they themselves put rules like three paragraph minimum, stuff like that >~>

Another thing that ticks me off is when a person constantly asks you if their sheet is okay when they haven't filled out anything properly, then every time you tell them to put more detail or whatever into their sheet, they argue back telling you their sheet's the best and everything... Not to mention those types usually don't leave your RP when you tell them to, and go ahead and post in the IC thread anyway thus leading to you having to delete posts and contact staff, etc. Haven't had to go as far as contacting staff myself, though I've witnessed it happen many times to where it reached that point, which just kills RP's.

I realize now that I'll probably get carried away if I go past two things, so I'll stop here for now... :x

AlexSilverX said:
I'm hoping it'll be the case, but in the meantime I'm understandably reticent. It's just that there are so many stereotypes that it's difficult to include NONE of them.
For example, if I make an african-american character, I have to make sure that he:

1. Doesn't like Purple drank and fried chicken, or chicken and grape-flavored things in general, does not enjoy soul food. gizzards, cornbread, ham hocks, green beans, watermelon... etc.

2. Isn't particularly good at jumping, running or any other physical activity which may or may not be associated with basket ball.

3. Does not come from a below-average background in terms of wealth, or is poor himself.

6. If a male, must have no criminal activity, especially pertaining to being a ganster. If a female, must not be a hooker.

8. Does not have a big... everything (lips, eyes, butt, wide hips, nose, head, feet, breasts, long breasts, ect.)

Okay, it's a lot of TINY things which can be avoided at a point or another, but its all things that need to be kept track of and avoided constantly at all times. It also severely limits character possibilities. Likewise, at what point does avoiding the stereotype become a stereotype itself and if I'm so worried about not matching the stereotype, do I end up portraying their ethnic background inaccurately? I don't know, I'm most likely over-thinking it. This "fear of being inappropriate" is really annoying.
Hm... I think you might have some more issues than just being reprimanded at one time for making a black character that loves fried chicken... I wonder how many African-Americans you've met in real life lol. If you're making an RP about the hood, then sure... I guess it would make sense for some of the characters to be gangsters or hookers... It's interesting to me that you think being a hooker is a female black stereotype... maybe since I actually know lots of black women, it's not really something that comes to mind lol. I certainly don't feel like a bunch of the sex workers represented in contemporary media are black lately... maybe mostly white in recent years.

Then again, if you really are clueless about African Americans (as you seem to be)... maybe you don't have any business writing a CS for an African American character. Maybe black canadian? do you actually -know- any black canadians? Or do you just have some political bone to pick?

Actually, what I find works a lot better (instead of thinking 'what not to do') is to FULLY flesh out a character. Just because a character's skin is dark, it doesn't mean you know anything about them. An african-american RP character from the East Coast in America might list NY or NJ style pizza as their favorite food. Similarly a South Asian person living in the UK wouldn't list 'curry' as their favorite food. If they're from a Tamil background they might list masala dosai as their favorite food. If they're from North India, they might list paneer parathas.. A Mexican American character might not pick 'burritos' but instead something like fideos or guisado de puerco.

I guess you're proving a point: if you're really clueless about a particular culture and too lazy to do real research... maybe you should just stick to what you know.

AlexSilverX said:

Oh man, this list made me laugh so hard.

I don't think RPing in a serious setting with strangers is the place for you to be exploring your perception of black culture. You yourself might not be a racist, but the majority of the concepts on this list are pointedly dated.

Xixo said:
Hm... I think you might have some more issues than just being reprimanded at one time for making a black character that loves fried chicken... I wonder how many African-Americans you've met in real life lol. If you're making an RP about the hood, then sure... I guess it would make sense for some of the characters to be gangsters or hookers... It's interesting to me that you think being a hooker is a female black stereotype... maybe since I actually know lots of black women, it's not really something that comes to mind lol. I certainly don't feel like a bunch of the sex workers represented in contemporary media are black lately... maybe mostly white in recent years.
Then again, if you really are clueless about African Americans (as you seem to be)... maybe you don't have any business writing a CS for an African American character. Maybe black canadian? do you actually -know- any black canadians? Or do you just have some political bone to pick?

Actually, what I find works a lot better (instead of thinking 'what not to do') is to FULLY flesh out a character. Just because a character's skin is dark, it doesn't mean you know anything about them. An african-american RP character from the East Coast in America might list NY or NJ style pizza as their favorite food. Similarly a South Asian person living in the UK wouldn't list 'curry' as their favorite food. If they're from a Tamil background they might list masala dosai as their favorite food. If they're from North India, they might list paneer parathas.. A Mexican American character might not pick 'burritos' but instead something like fideos or guisado de puerco.

I guess you're proving a point: if you're really clueless about a particular culture and too lazy to do real research... maybe you should just stick to what you know.
Frankly, I Googled "list of black stereotypes" to make that list. I wasn't aware some of those stereotypes existed either until that point (which may be part of the problem.) so please don't mistake that as being my own list of stereotypes... that'd be rather embarrassing.

To be honest, my list of friends is completely devoid of people of any other ethnic background than caucasian as far as I know (since I am not aware of the skin color of some of my online friends since - to me - I see no reason to inquire about it. It doesn't change who you are as a person.) I don't really know why that is, to be honest... It's not like I'm any less friendly towards them or avoid them... But moving on from that factoid;

I get your point about fleshing out the characters, which is always a good idea, of course. But what I was trying to say - and I'm to blame for deviating from the point - is that its easier to go with your own ethnic background - generally speaking - and easy to go with a caucasian character because there's no need to fear portraying them inaccurately. There may be some cultural distinctions here and there I am not aware of, of course, I'm not saying this is an "universal law" or anything, but where I come from; white people have COMPLETELY lost the right to call out anyone whatsoever on being racist towards them and - as a majority - don't have a reason to complain about being portrayed inaccurately.

So since the majority of RPers are caucasian and caucasians in general do not get offended by racial stereotypes or inaccurate portrayal, playing a white character is almost always the safest possible bet if you have even the tiniest fear of being accused of misrepresentation.

But eh, I could be wrong.

I honestly have never been reprimanded for making minority chars with tough backgrounds since they're just people like any other

Which brings me to how we don't nearly have enough of them. In any given roleplay almost all the characters are white, which isn't a problem, but sometimes they shouldn't be. I was in an RP about a tournament in the future where each country had only a couple countries. Let's just say the delegation from Central Africa was interestingly built. People seem to have an aversion (maybe its fear of being called out?) for playing minorities

RedTimbre said:
Oh man, this list made me laugh so hard.
I don't think RPing in a serious setting with strangers is the place for you to be exploring your perception of black culture. You yourself might not be a racist, but the majority of the concepts on this list are pointedly dated.
Thank you RedTimbre. That is essentially my point in a nutshell.

I have a poor perception of "black culture" as you call it. While I used them as the example, my perception of other different ethnic cultures is also rather poor. While you and Xixo are being very mature about it and non-offensive, I can tell that just the list of "things to avoid" I made through a google search was enough to get you two to think something along the lines of; (paraphrasing, of course)

"Whoah there buddy! Easy on the racist stereotypes! Where the hell did those even come from? Have you ever met a black person before? Get out of under your rock!"

But the thing is, as the "white guy who doesn't know better", who am I to say which of these stereotypes I have to avoid and can let happen, who am I to say what action would point towards on of these stereotypes and which one doesn't? What's racist? I don't even know! What about the vernacular? Is it okay for my black character to say "Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!" or is that also racist? If my character likes rap music or wears a gold chain, is THAT racist as well? Who will get offended? Who won't? What background makes what behavior excusable? Is it even okay - again, with the example of a black character, since it's kind of the theme I set here - for me to name my black character "Tyrone" since it's a common african-american (I mean american in the broad "north-american" sense which includes canada here) name, or would THAT be racist too?

As you said in the quote above and I now paraphrase; "[...] RPing in a serious setting with strangers is [not] the place or you to be exploring your perception of [any] culture."

and THAT is why I - and, I assume (though I may very well be wrong) most people - avoid playing characters of a culture other than their own when RP in forums and - since, as mentioned earlier, most RPers are "white" - that is also why (I presume) most characters in forum RP also happen to be white.

EDIT: Sorry for spamming a bit in the last few posts there. I got a bit defensive since it becomes kind of hard to be accepted as part of an RP once a label like "the racist guy" gets put on you in any given community and I wanted to avoid it at all costs.

@AlexSilverX

I'm glad you clarified that you found that last by googling black stereotypes:

A) That means you're not a monster for assuming that's the way all black people are, simply because they're black.

B) It proves a super interesting point to take away from all this: what other demographic would you feel compelled to google a list of stereotypes of before attempting to create a fictional character?

I think the problem with assigning stereotypes to anyone of any gender, sexual preferences, race etc. is that we look at the person's physiology as being the source of their behavior, tastes and culture and not the environment. I'm currently playing the most stereotypical, unwashed, illiterate, trailer park resident you can imagine in one game. He's white - and, you might call him white trash if you ever wanted to be mean to his face - but, I don't play him like that because he's white: I play him like that because he's supposed to be a caricature of someone who is uneducated and constantly grappling with the fact that weed is illegal.

Hell, you're Canadian: ever see Trailer Park Boys? He's basically Ricky.

At any rate, look at the environment before you look at a character's skin color. You talk about not being able to make a black woman a hooker because it might be racist - well, it might be if the environment she's living in has nothing to do with what makes a person turn to that line of work. And really: who the hell born after 1960 eats ham hocks? So what if your black character enjoys chicken - where are all these people who don't like chicken? There's something wrong with them.

However, who goes around making a point to announce "hey, chicken is my favorite food: just so you know gurl."

A lot of it is common sense - there's no inherent reason for a black character to do anything different than a white character barring social influence. If your black character is from Kenya, then sure there will be some stuff worth pointing out that makes them unique. If your black character is from San Diego - there's no reason to say he's not running around with a skate board in pair of skinny jeans and a padre's hat listening to Off Spring (I'm getting old.)

Or, if they're both from Florida: maybe the black guy has a healthy fear of the cops where old Billy Smith doesn't - cuz that shit's real.

It's all about society and setting before it's about skin color. If you play it like that: you should be fine.

RedTimbre said:
@AlexSilverX
I'm glad you clarified that you found that last by googling black stereotypes:

A) That means you're not a monster for assuming that's the way all black people are, simply because they're black.

B) It proves a super interesting point to take away from all this: what other demographic would you feel compelled to google a list of stereotypes of before attempting to create a fictional character?

I think the problem with assigning stereotypes to anyone of any gender, sexual preferences, race etc. is that we look at the person's physiology as being the source of their behavior, tastes and culture and not the environment. I'm currently playing the most stereotypical, unwashed, illiterate, trailer park resident you can imagine in one game. He's white - and, you might call him white trash if you ever wanted to be mean to his face - but, I don't play him like that because he's white: I play him like that because he's supposed to be a caricature of someone who is uneducated and constantly grappling with the fact that weed is illegal.

Hell, you're Canadian: ever see Trailer Park Boys? He's basically Ricky.

At any rate, look at the environment before you look at a character's skin color. You talk about not being able to make a black woman a hooker because it might be racist - well, it might be if the environment she's living in has nothing to do with what makes a person turn to that line of work. And really: who the hell born after 1960 eats ham hocks? So what if your black character enjoys chicken - where are all these people who don't like chicken? There's something wrong with them.

However, who goes around making a point to announce "hey, chicken is my favorite food: just so you know gurl."

A lot of it is common sense - there's no inherent reason for a black character to do anything different than a white character barring social influence. If your black character is from Kenya, then sure there will be some stuff worth pointing out that makes them unique. If your black character is from San Diego - there's no reason to say he's not running around with a skate board in pair of skinny jeans and a padre's hat listening to Off Spring (I'm getting old.)

Or, if they're both from Florida: maybe the black guy has a healthy fear of the cops where old Billy Smith doesn't - cuz that shit's real.

It's all about society and setting before it's about skin color. If you play it like that: you should be fine.
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!! Omg @RedTimbre YES! /ok done shouting

@AlexSilverX It's interesting that some RPers could speak Elvish or Klingon or know about the racial injustices of the HP universe in detail... but cant get a grip on portraying a character of a different culture... In any case I think that RedTimbre has made a really good point. Maybe if players seek to -actually- broaden their horizons by doing real research and not just lazily make a an 'ethnic character,' maybe it would enrich the RP communities... I don't think you're 'the racist' guy.... I just think that it's easy to make a character that matches your ethnicity. But it's a challange to make a character that doesn't and that also isn't offensive to ethnic sensibilities. Creating interesting, fully developed characters is -not- easy. And I wouldn't expect that much development in 'simple,' or 'casual,' games... but it's definitely expected in the 'detailed' genre.

Xixo said:
But it's a challenge to make a character that doesn't and that also isn't offensive to ethnic sensibilities. Creating interesting, fully developed characters is -not- easy.
Personally, I always felt that creating interesting, fully developed characters was actually pretty easy. It's one of those things you kind of HAVE to be able to do if you're even semi-serious about writing or RPing. (personal opinion, no need to share it.)

The point where I feel you hit things right on the nose however is this part; it's a challenge to make a character that doesn't AND that also isn't offensive to ethnic sensibilities.

The reason isn't - in and of itself - that human beings have spent millennium developing so many stereotypes about so many groups that it's become literally impossible to know them all by heart. The problem is that ethnic sensibilities are SUBJECTIVE AS ALL HECK. What's racist for X isn't necessarily racist for Y. For example, neither you nor RedTimbre thought that a black character having chicken as their favorite food was a big deal, let alone a problem, but clearly the mod of that RP felt otherwise. Like RedTimbre's character in that trailer park; he makes perfect sense. I don't find him offensive, but another white person - say, someone who happens to fall into the "white trash" stereotype - might take offense to his existence even if the character does make sense. People get offended EXTREMELY EASILY and some types of people look for reasons to get offended. I find - personally - that its easier to thread carefully when you're not sure if those types of people are around or not.

I'm not going to bring up things like godmodding, etc.. because they're basic things that annoy most people.

1. People who refuse to play more than one type of character. This goes beyond basics like 'gender' or 'canon/oc' but even when it comes to character types. I realize that everyone has a preferred type of character, but you shouldn't restrict yourself to that type. You never know you might find another personality type that you enjoy. Or in the very least will expand upon your writing and gain a new kind of perspective.

2. "Balance" bans. I get it, you don't want all one species, gender, etc.. in your roleplay. But I've never been a big fan when people put bans on a certain type. I feel like that's just going to isolate you and your roleplay a bit. Because I know I've been turned off from joining when someone wants to dictate my character. This is a big thing for roleplay-per-board forums (sites hosting one roleplay on a single site.)

3. Informality in roleplay regulations. Again this is a big thing on roleplay-per-site games. By informality I mean crude language/weird jokes/etc.. You're not being 'cool' or making you seem less intimidating. In fact you're just making it look like you have no concept of responsibility. I can be quite crude myself, but I'd never put foul language in the rules, that would just make me look like a dunce who doesn't care.

4. Massive Character Sheets / Applications. Arguably I will do these if the roleplay intrigues me enough, but I really don't enjoy them. I prefer minimal applications, or even no applications at all. I once did a roleplay that had no application and it did very successful. Members who didn't match the unwritten quota were often just weeded out by the roleplaying community. And it meant less restrictions going into the roleplay (more wiggle room for you character and their development).

5. By-the-book canon. I like lore, trust me. And most of the times if I'm roleplaying a fandom it means I really enjoyed said fandom. But if I'm joining a game then I don't want to basically write out everything that already happened in canon. I want to have my own spin on things, and have some more wiggle room to explore. The same goes for canon characters. If I am playing a canon character then I know I have to stay true to their character. But if they experience something in the roleplay that they didn't in the original setting, then I want them to be able to have the chance to change some of their outlooks through these new circumstances. Even if just by a little.

Oh, jeez. Well, yeah, I could name quite a few things that bother me in roleplay. I've also got a pretty nice anecdote, if you're like me and enjoy reading true stories about people being rude and selfish.

• For one (kind of obvious, universal) thing, sloppily-made characters really bother me. When you read a roleplay's overview, you should be able to pick up on what the GM values, or at the very least, how much work they put into creating the roleplay. You should create your character accordingly. In other words, if your GM has created an extensive fantasy world complete with an exhaustive species list, lore, and history, all beautifully formatted and tied up with a ribbon, the character that took you two minutes to create using one-liners and a stock photo is not only going to look strange among all the thoughtful, well-written characters; it's also going to be insulting to the GM. I'm not trying to "discriminate" against you if this is how you make all of your characters. It's just that there are plenty of roleplays made to accommodate simple characters and the inexperienced roleplayers behind them, but the best roleplays won't really be among them. If you no longer feel at home in beginner roleplays, great - challenge yourself. Hop in. But understand that more advanced roleplays are going to expect more from you, and while no one can stop you from sticking a sloppy character in a fantastic roleplay, it's just common courtesy not to.

• Also, I think that having one or two "cold, callous, calculating" characters in a roleplay is fine, but I think having too many is a much bigger problem than we realize. The major issue with these characters is that they're antisocial. Every single one of them. This is all well and good when creating individual characters, but when a roleplay is full of them, nothing happens. There's no social catalyst. Even the characters that weren't described as being dark and brooding sort of pick up on the vibe - either that, or their roleplayer doesn't want their character to approach them because we've all pretty much been through that. Brooding character sneers at your character, tells them to "get lost" or something along those lines, and they do. In my opinion, these interactions are only acceptable if they've been planned beforehand. Otherwise, they're kind of unpleasant for roleplayer and character. And if you don't plan on somehow forcing them to make amends in the end, it just seems kind of tasteless. But I digress. And yeah, I totally get it. Mean, angry, brooding characters are great in a professionally planned story. They spice things up and add a little mystery to the mix. That, and they're just so darn cool. But you're not going to make an award-winning dish by dumping the whole bottle of sriracha in the pot, and when the judges ask you why your chili tastes hellish, you're not going to spare yourself any points by saying that "it's a mystery."

Also, sidenote: If you've never tried playing a total sweetie-pie, try it. It's quite underrated.

The last point I want to make is kind of a rare case, but this happened at least five months ago and I'm still pissed off about it. I guess I'm not really trying to touch base on any particular subject. Just don't be this guy. Without further ado, my very worst roleplaying experience:

• So I had joined this Death Note roleplay, right? (haha weab alert) The GM, whom we will call Red, seemed very competent, and I was really pumped to start. So I made a character very carefully, really crossed my t's and dotted my i's in terms of making sure that her backstory lined up with the lore of the fandom. I was proud of her, and Red and I were chatting it up already. But before I went to post my application, I noticed that someone new had posted their own character. I guess I wasn't too worried when I went to take a look. The character was a mary-sue in its purest form, complete with one-line category responses, underaged-genius-ness, and a backstory that would require us to change the roleplay's backstory in order to accommodate him. We will call his roleplayer Blue, and based on experience, I figured that if he didn't have the patience to create a realistic character, he probably wouldn't last long in an in-depth roleplay anyway. Red handled it quite well, I think, and asked Blue to change some minor details so that roleplaying with this character would be slightly more tolerable. Blue was quite rude in his responses, insisting that "it's my character, I should be able to do what I want with it." (Another thing that really grinds my gears. Very inconsiderate.) But Red let this go, and the roleplay commenced. Blue's responses proved somewhat short, and for whatever reason included camera directions (i.e. [camera pans to the left, past character's face], [Death Note theme plays]). All were poorly written and very much glorified the character in question, but Red and I sort of worked around them. (Also, side story - for my first post, I got carried the hell away and wrote a lot. Probably my biggest RP post in any thread, ever. Blue's only response was, and I quote, "why did you write so much snowday") But in the end, we had to confront him because he was being just a great big hindrance to this otherwise wonderful roleplay, and he had a history of being rude and backhanded when his motives were questioned. What ensued was my first and last sighting of the elusive roleplay ragequit. Blue proceeded to rant in a big fat block of un-punctuated text about how stupid people are for trying to limit what his characters can and cannot be, because, again, it's his character, and if everyone else is too stupid to make their characters OP in order to "win" (as if roleplaying is a competition?) then that's their own fault. At some point in his rant, he starting talking about how he lives his life "like a chess game, calculating every move, always the smartest". Not an exact quote, but if I gave you the paragraph, you'd find all of that in there somewhere and more. You get the picture. Intellect-based narcissism at its best. After that point, I think Red sort of buggered off, too. I was seriously frustrated, and it wasn't even my roleplay, so I can hardly blame him for deciding to can it.

I'll admit that about a month later, I spite-checked his profile and found out that he had been banned for various other offenses. That was a good day.

[QUOTE="London Fog]The character was a mary-sue in its purest form, complete with one-line category responses, underaged-genius-ness, and a backstory that would require us to change the roleplay's backstory in order to accommodate him.

[/QUOTE]
For me, that's the ultimate indictment. The player failed at story collaboration right from the jump.

1. When people in an rp ignore each other in OOC and everything is just awkward silence between replies.

2. Characters whose parents have died tragically is my pet peeve. Sure, it can be done well, but, why? After literally everyone and their mom has already been there done that.

3. Needlessly convoluted character sheets. Or character sheets with way screwy designs that distract from their content.

4. Rps that never start b/c no one wants to write the first post (in 1x1s). And, oh boy, does this happen. Plus 90% of the time, the one who ends up writing it is me anyway, regardless of who suggested the rp.

5. Characters that are always super skinny, conventionally attractive, and/or otherwise physically perfect in all ways.

Xixo said:
Hahaha yuuup. I mean I kiiiind of get it. IDK the statistics of English-language RPers (my experience in the past 15+ yrs is that most are either North American or European and white...) but if you're supposed to be writing interesting and nuanced characters... why they gotta be white? ._.
Part of it too is that fantasy settings draw on European myth a lot ;o i guess that's not really RPer's faults... *sigh*
I once wrote a thirty-something black American lady, a detective, for a tutorial RP. The player who got her asked if he could change her to a younger white redhead.

Thankfully my regular players tend to go for a diverse selection of characters.

Generic highschool RPs kind of piss me off. They always generate a ton of interest, but usually attract a super unreliable crowd. I don't even mind the topic of high school stuff itself, I just hate the experience most of the time.

As far as things to do that annoy me - I am REALLY not very uppety about any of this kind of stuff, but there's one thing you can do that will make me cringe. Like, physically cringe and/or facepalm. And probably ignore you too. And that is stuff like "In her off-beat way, she approached XYZ. She looked at him oddly. Everything she did was weird and unusual." At that point, I probably want to hit you over the head with a forklift. I HATE these kinda people who not only hammer you over the head with how 'quirky' they are, no... they genuinely dictate it in every post. Look, either you are quirky and off-beat, or you aren't. Stop telling me such things.

Sunbather said:
At that point, I probably want to hit you over the head with a forklift. I HATE these kinda people who not only hammer you over the head with how 'quirky' they are, no... they genuinely dictate it in every post. Look, either you are quirky and off-beat, or you aren't. Stop telling me such things.
Oh my god so much this. Typically, if I have an idea of how I want my character to come across, I'll put it in the CS somewhere (i.e., they unnerve people/are seen as cute/obviously geeky) and try to express that through my writing, but you can't explicitly state it IC. You can't tell other people's characters how to react to yours. You can only nudge and give cues through their characterization- but the thing is, they have to observe and draw conclusions based on the information you give them IC, and through the lens of their own characterization. Trying to force other people's characters to see your own as quirky/attractive/authoritative/whatever stunts development and defeats the purpose of roleplaying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back