• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
@Sherwood Is the wood carving of anything specific or anything one might recognize?
Give me a Int + Lore roll to examine the statue and for the rest of the items you found.

Spider's eyes open wide as she looks down at the items that were hiding in the chest. "Wow. I've seen stuff like this only in the possession of my old teacher; the one that gave me my tattoos. This is clearly a cache of artifacts, ones that are ours now." She leans over and picks up the tiara and puts it on. "Look! I'm a princess! Ha ha ha! Seriously, I am more interested in getting the blades than any pretty bauble like this."

With three successes, Bard can definitely tell that the one golden sword is a orichalcum Daiklave, along with the Buff Jacket, but you don't know any details of the artifacts or what powers they may have. The paired swords in the bottom of the chest are both Moonsilver, and by their design you can see that they are a paired set of Short Daiklaves.

The statue appears to be very old, and with that and the precious metals inlaid in it, you are sure that it will give you a pretty price. You are not certain, but it is likely that this is simply an expensive trinket.

The tiara is a Hearthstone Amulet, and the gem inset in it is indeed a heaarthstone, but what kind of stone it is, you don't know.

For the rest, it looks like it is all expensive stuff, but all mundane in nature. It will take some time to get a good buyer for the trinkets if you want even a fraction of their worth.

Bard would relay his observations to the group, in case they had any further insights as to what the other things might be.

Then he would continue to find Thallus.

For the time being, Kuaidao would stay close by Maja's side, wanting to make sure that she remained okay, even though Bard and Rivers seemed to have already taken care of that.

Later on, he planned to politely claim the orichalcum daiklave in the chest, while leaving the buff jacket and tiara for the others. Of the single daiklave, he was fairly sure that of all the members of the party, he could make the most use out of it.

He did however turn to the captain. "You saw the Immaculate Philosophy for the falsehood it truly was as well, did you?" he asked, feeling a newfound sense of respect and camaraderie for this man, who had not only been willing to accept their exalted natures, but had also been through a similar experience to Kuaidao, discovering that all he'd been told about so-called Anathema was nothing but lies. "Where are you from? The Realm, or Lookshy?"

Maja smiles shyly at Kuaidao and blushes slightly, then gives him a hug. "Thank you for coming to check on me. That was sweet of you. I'm sorry I'm such a mess. The last few months have been... difficult."

She also turns to Dromond, "And thank you for keeping our secret. I will find some way to repay your kindness."

He did however turn to the captain. "You saw the Immaculate Philosophy for the falsehood it truly was as well, did you?" he asked, feeling a newfound sense of respect and camaraderie for this man, who had not only been willing to accept their exalted natures, but had also been through a similar experience to Kuaidao, discovering that all he'd been told about so-called Anathema was nothing but lies. "Where are you from? The Realm, or Lookshy?"
Dromond looks like he is considering not answering you, but he finally says, "I was from the Realm, but now I call the Seagull and the open water home. I have left behind me all that family politicking and backstabbing that the Dynasts are so wrapped up in, and I am much happier for it."

Trying to put an end to that thread of conversation, Dromond goes over to look over the items that were discovered in the chest. He lets out a low whistle, obviously impressed with the haul. "Wow. I'm surprised that you were able to find this." He looks over and says, "Our next stop is Sijan. I know a few people there that might be able to offer up something for those if you are interested in selling any of it."

Spider looks at Dromond and says, "You have my thanks, captain. That would be much appreciated. We will just need to discuss among ourselves what we wish to keep and what we wish to sell." She looks down at the pair of Moonsilver short Daiklaves and says, "Of all that stuff, these two blades are what catches my eye the most. They would do well in my hands, if no one objects to me taking them."

The Seagull set sails on Mother Nature's Veins.
Carrying six passengers of Anathema Bane.
The day was nice.
Until the air turned to ice.
Out of the ice, a vessel stalks.
Then out of the water, four thick stalks
The beat of battle fill the air.
A woman becomes a nine-tailed fox
Another grows hide stronger than rocks.
Blades, claws and teeth whirl.
Until the beasts tentacles curl.

Foot steps approached Thallus and his poor attempt and writing a poem from the what he experienced tonight. He had read many poems, even copied a few tomes full of them in his lifetime, but the artistic flair of writing one was not a talent of his. The pages of his journal clapped together when the footsteps were feet away. He looked up to see one of the other exalted walking towards him, and of course it was the artistic one. The one that weaved the sound from his lyre in the aid of the Seagull and the bane of the river kraken.

"Good evening. You were quite brave out there." Thallus spoke, not really knowing what else to say.

"Ho ho ho, thank you." He said, waving off the compliment, "but it is quite easy to be so brave when we have the brethren we have on board. "

Bard smiled at the scholar and found himself a seat. "Do not sell yourself short, as you stood by us all just the same."

"You might be interested in knowing that Spider recovered of a trove of goodies. Including relics of an exalted age. Sadly, I'm not all that well versed in such things, but I do know something special when I see it."

"I wanted to come down here and see how you were doing. As you left rather quickly and have been pretty silent on our journey so far. Still getting used to things?"

"Ah yes, I do believe that's a common theme amongst stories. The Heroes of Stories aren't always devoted to their destiny until they meet friends." Thallus's eyebrow raised when he mentioned one of the others had found a trove of goodies. Maybe he could give them a look, see if he recalls anything from the many stories he has read. "I may have been in worse situations than this before. Boars are rather nasty creatures when you've cornered them and pumped them full of arrows already."

Thallus froze just for a moment when he pointed out how he left quickly from the battle. Not entirely sure how to respond to this, afterall he didn't want to push his inferiority onto someone he just met. "Yes, I am still getting used to things. This is the largest ship I've ever been on and planning on going far far away from Nexus. From my family." Thallus stood up and wiped his hands on his open buff jacket. "By the way, I'm Thallus. It's nice to meet you." He held out his slightly sweaty hand for a firm handshake.

D. Rex D. Rex

Maja smiles shyly at Kuaidao and blushes slightly, then gives him a hug. "Thank you for coming to check on me. That was sweet of you. I'm sorry I'm such a mess. The last few months have been... difficult."

Kuaidao happily returned the hug. "You don't ever have to apologize for being a mess in these circumstances." he assured her. "I didn't find it easy to deal with the truth about Solars or the Realm myself, and I can't imagine you had a better time with regards to your own Exaltation, on top of all that's happened before and after I found you. I think very few people would be able to completely keep it together after all of that."

Hearing Dromond's reply to his question, and then Spider talking with him, Kuaidao would let go of Maja and walk over to inspect the chest's contents for himself.

"If you're happy with the moonsilver blades, I'll take the orichalcum daiklave." he said to the southern Luna, before looking inside the chest to see if there was a sheathe or scabbard for it.

"You want to have a look in here, Maja? Might be something you can make use of." he then said to the other female Lunar.

Spider reaches down and grabs the golden Daiklave and hands it over to Kuaidao. "Here ya go. May it serve you well." She then picks up the twin moonsilver blades, a smile on her face as she hefts them in her hands. Nice. Perfectly balanced, and just the right size to be used with my fighting style. Thank you, Luna! Spider steps back to give the others room to lay claim to the other items, taking some time to attune herself to the weapons.

"Thanks." replied Kuaidao, grunting as he took hold of the surprisingly weighty blade. It was far too heavy to use in an actual fight, especially considering its size, but Kuaidao knew plenty about daiklaves from both Ulfric, and the Dynasts of the Realm. Tightening his grip on the sword's handle, he channeled his Essence into the weapon, and immediately felt it lighten to the weight of a dagger. He then shifted into a guard stance and gave it a few practice swings, all with the precision of a grandmaster, quickly finding the daiklave to be far swifter and lighter than any other sword he had wielded before.

Should probably test the cutting power. But I don't think Dromond would appreciate damage to his ship.

Satisfied with his own weapon, Kuaidao looked over to where Spider was examining her own moonsilver daiklaves. "Perhaps we should have a spar later on, see how well these weapons can serve us." he said to the Lunar.

"Ah yes, I do believe that's a common theme amongst stories. The Heroes of Stories aren't always devoted to their destiny until they meet friends." Thallus's eyebrow raised when he mentioned one of the others had found a trove of goodies. Maybe he could give them a look, see if he recalls anything from the many stories he has read. "I may have been in worse situations than this before. Boars are rather nasty creatures when you've cornered them and pumped them full of arrows already."

Thallus froze just for a moment when he pointed out how he left quickly from the battle. Not entirely sure how to respond to this, afterall he didn't want to push his inferiority onto someone he just met. "Yes, I am still getting used to things. This is the largest ship I've ever been on and planning on going far far away from Nexus. From my family." Thallus stood up and wiped his hands on his open buff jacket. "By the way, I'm Thallus. It's nice to meet you." He held out his slightly sweaty hand for a firm handshake.

D. Rex D. Rex

Bard's eyes glimmered at the talk of stories. "That they do. That they do. And I think, just perhaps, we have entered a tale of our own." He said almost hopefully.

"Ah yes! The dreaded boar. I have heard such horror stories. Like sharks they are, eating everything in their path, with hide as thick as armor and tusks like spears. To think such vicious creatures can be such delightful meals has always been quite amusing. We never had any on my island. Thankully I never had to deal with them. Also thankfully, it was a popular meat to buy."

He chuckled and extended his hand. Ignoring what sweat was in the palm. And letting slide the dodging of the topic. "They call me Bard. For obvious reasons. It's a pleasure, Thallus."

He looked around the hold. "I've seen bigger ships. But! I think there is something special about those meant for rivers. Being on a small land surrounded by water, I find something so exotic to be on small water surrounded by land."

"But you wont be from your family for long. I'm sure. Our paths will no doubt take us back to visit them. In the meantime, shall we return to the deck? We must make haste if we dont want Spider to hog all the goodies for herself."

Rivers looks in silent contemplation as the artifacts are passed among the others. The silvery and golden metals, despite obvious decades of no care or polish, still gleaming playfully in the skylight.

She walks up to Spider, who's wolding the two Moonsilver blades, seemingly already getting familiar with their balance and heft. "If i may see these? I might know of these by description. All artifacts, even the smallest ones are unique, and i have spent some time listening to the elders of the Pact relay oral history of previous Chosen of the Moon and their panoply which is as much part of their legends as their flesh"

Last edited:
Spider nods in acquiescence. "Sure. I know little of lore; wasn't taught much before I left the . . . well, I have a few tales in my head from the elder that tattooed me, but not many. If you can tell me something of these blades, I would love to hear about them."

HumanPlus HumanPlus A examination of the weapons shows you that these paired blades are curved like scimitars, or the crescent moon. Etchings on each blade bear lost scriptures to Luna in a forgotten First Age tongue. But while their form is identical, the two can’t be mistaken for one another. One blade is much brighter and shiny than the other, which appears almost dull in comparison.

Please give me an Int + Lore roll to get some more information on the identity of the weapons.

The haunted, blood-soaked forests of Ashbloom, deep in the Northeast, once held Logerion, a shining arboreal metropolis of the First Age. Knows-the-Horizon, a young Lunar socialite and savant, was drawn to the cosmopolitan city, with its wise birds, its palaces of living wood, and its Solar queen’s joyous court.
When the city burned in the Usurpation, its queen and her favorites put to the sword, Knows-the-Horizon fled into the Northeast’s deep forests. Isolated from the elegant dance of urban society and the depths of the First Age’s libraries and scholastic societies, she sought out the Lunar mystic Opal Heart, whose teachings offered solace in contemplating the intricacies of the wilderness spirit courts and the mysteries of Luna’s cycle of change.
In recognition of that cycle, Knows-the-Horizon forged a pair of moonsilver blades, calling down the minor moon-gods Phaessa and Deinon and — in exchange for rediscovering the key to the Midnight Sky Gate and returning it to the Court of the Silver Chair — binding them into the swords that would bear their names. She blooded her new blades well against the Shogunate. When she perished in battle, others in the Silver Pact took up the swords in her name.

Psychie Psychie the full write-up of these blades can be found on pg 456 of the Lunars book PDF.

Rivers sings the story to the others in a slow tone, remembering the story more through intonations of the melody rather than the specific content, as that is how it was told her by the elder Brings the Rain to whom her mentor had introduced her nearly half a year ago. That woman had a way with history.

She hands back the blades and gives the other artifacts a glance. "Sadly, my studies has not brought me much knowledge about the weapon wielded by the Sun's champions of yore. And except in rare cases, pretty though they may be and whatever minor magical effects, lesser wonders such as this piece of jewelry do not tend to garner much of a place in tales"

The thought of partaking in a reward in an endeavor he did not participate in almost made Thallus cringe. "Unless it's a book, I'm not that much of a materialist. Go ahead and have fun with the others." Thallus gave a small wave off and sat back down. "I am perfectly fine here with my journal."

"Nonsense." He said, not taking no for an answer this time. "These could be some ancient relics with all sorts history and mystery behind them. Surely a man of the book such as yourself can find something interesting about them."

"Come now. We havent seen each other in ages, or so I'm told. Imagine the secrets we can unlock by getting into each other's heads."

Bard chuckled and gave Thallus a hearty pat on the back. "But I won't twist your arm. Just know we'd love to have you up there with us."

Maja follows Kuaidao, and peers over his shoulder as he and Spider draw their legendary blades for the first time. She admires the fluid grace and flashing brilliance of his brief kata against the setting sun as she listens to Rivers' recount the history of Phaessa and Deinon. "You both look so dashing and heroic. The craftship of those blades... breathtaking."

She runs her fingers lightly along the side of Kuaidao's daiklave as she passes, examining the fine engravings. "I've owned beautiful things, but never anything like this."

She sweeps the tiara from the box, surprised to note her fingers tingle slightly at its touch, and places it lightly on her head, spinning around to show it off before catching her reflection in polished orichalcum and pausing to admire it. She laughs in delight, "This gem is almost the size of my fist! Whoever lost these swords must have been royalty, or a Dynast. If I wear this people will think I am, too." She draws herself up into her most haughty and regal bearing, gazing imperiously at everyone on deck before bursting out laughing, "What do you think? If I can convince them I'm a Dynast will they stop chasing me?"

Kuaidao would let out a chuckle, narrowly resisting the temptation to kneel at Maya's feet as she played at being a Dynast. He quickly sobered up upon hearing her question though.

"I fear not." he said with a wry smile as he examined his sword. "On the Blessed Isle they always associated this metal with our kind. Demon gold, they called it. Wearing or carrying it around a Dynast will likely make them raise their eyebrows at best, or peg you as an Anathema at worst"

He then looked at the remains of the chest. "These weapons and other artifacts were locked away. I don't think their previous owner intended to ever wield them. More likely they either hoped to sell them, or seal them away in a tomb where we couldn't get at them."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back