• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Aredin nods at Darian's claim. "Aye, that was our whole purpose here, to serve as a meeting ground where all Exalts may gather in safety. So far, we've attracted plenty, and plenty more will follow."

Once Dunbar spoke of Metagalapa, he paused to consider his approach. "As long as we're clear to approach in peace, sounds fine to me. For now, I'd like to keep a reasonably low profile until we've identified Walker's agents." Aredin held aloft one of the Hearthstones from Rathess. "As for that... this little guy should do the trick. Any creatures of darkness we will be able to sense instinctively."

Annika would speak up again. "I could go and look for the Walker's agents without drawing attention to myself, if we want to keep a low profile. Though I'd like to know a bit more about how that hearthstone works. Does it detect creatures of darkness over a distance, or do you have to go up close to identify them?"

She then turned to Voice. "Do you remember anything about the two Deathknights that the Walker sent to look for this artifact?"

She looks over at Annika. "The two are known as Seven Layers of Malice and The Eternally Weeping Widow. Malice is a skilled martial artist, and he has mastered several different styles, making him a formidable opponent. Widow is less of a fighter, but is a craftsman of not just flesh and bone, but also is a skilled creator of dark Artifacts. If there is an Artifact out there, she will be the one to be able to determine how it works. Widow has forgotten more about being an artificer than I will ever know."

"Any habits, or anything else that would help us identify them? If we're any indication, I doubt they're going to be going around openly wearing Soulsteel."

Voice shrugs. "I'm sure that they will be in disguise, so I cannot really tell you how they will appear. I have not spent much time working with either Malice or Widow, so if it were not for this hearthstone, I could not tell you in what way that they could be identified. Malice has had much practice infiltrating other areas of Creation, so I fully expect that it will be quite difficult to ferret him out."

Darian muses, "I do wonder, if Widow is such a good artificer, it may behoove us to try and recruit her to work for us. There is much work to be done in Rathess to make it comfortable for our people to live there."

Annika raised an eyebrow at Darian's suggestion, before turning to Voice. "What do you say? Do you think we can convince her to betray the Walker?"

Voice looks uneasy. "I - I don't know. It most certainly not happen if Malice is still alive and watching her, but . . . she has always seemed to me to be quite loyal to Walker in Darkness as her Master and patron. I suspect that it will take quite a bit of work to convince her to change her allegiance."

Darian says, "Well, it couldn't hurt to at least try. In any case, I have some packing to do if we are to leave for Mount Metagalapa."

"If you wish to find a hidden foe, one option is to use bait." Ragnar suggested. "A few well placed rumors of something enticing to them may help our chances of finding them, if a low profile is something we are wanting to keep. And if the Walker is what stands in the way of gaining an ally, the simple solution would be to eliminate the Walker. Or, if we aren't prepared to do that, then sabotage the relationship that sustains the loyalty."

Annika looked at Ragnar. "I can certainly try setting up some rumors to lure our foe out. But I fear that eliminating one of the Deathlords will be a tricky prospect." she said, recalling Dunbar's words on the subject several months ago. Then again, the members of the Circle had gotten stronger and acquired more allies since then.

Voice fervently agrees with that. "The Deathlords, even the least of them, are extremely powerful ghosts from the First Age. I am not saying that this Circle could not take down Walker In Darkness because it might actually be possible for you, but do not underestimate them. Ever."

Ragnar leaned forward,"There will come a time that we will have to face them one way or the other. And it is far better that we initiate the conflict on our terms, where we can set the advantage, rather than wait on them to come to us in mass. I understand that they are are dangerous does and they are not to be underestimated. But if we want to have any hope of winning allies to our side, then we need to show that we too are dangerous foes that should not be underestimated. The Deathlords are, in essence a deterrent to those who have the sympathies to join us, but fear their wrath. Showing that we can defeat them would go a long way in letting them know that we are capable of protecting them."

"Furthermore, being able to attack one while they are isolated is a rare chance we cant count to happen often. It is an opportunity worth considering."

Dunbar looks at Voice quizzically. "How is it possible for these Deathlords to ensure the loyalty of their Abyssals? I understand that you had members of your family as a hostage. What about the others? What kind of hold does Walker in Darkness have on the other Abyssals in his employ?"

Voice once again looks uncomfortable. "There are rumors, of some device that the Deathlords have that can utterly destroy the Abyssals that betray them. It is a thing that I have lived in fear of ever since the day you spared my life back in Rathess, but I consider each day a gift; a new opportunity to try and redeem myself from the hell that I most certainly deserve to dwell in for my past crimes. If there is any truth to this rumored artifact, finding it and either destroying it or otherwise rendering it harmless would be a grand step to total freedom for all the slaves in the service of the Deathlords."

Darian looks at the pale woman and says, "I had no idea you were living in such fear! Truly, this is something that we need to look into in depth. Ragnar is right, though. If we are to face off against a Deathlord, it should be on our terms to give us the best chance for victory. The only question I have is, which route do we take first? Do we turn to Mount Metagalapa and seek out the mystery artifact there, or do we look into the destruction of the Walker? It does pose a question of, just how does one destroy a Deathlord?"

Annika gave a shrug of her shoulders. "I'd have thought that enough hard blows from a weapon would do the trick. Anything made of flesh and essence can die that way, at least in my experience. Of course, there's still the matter of the Deathlord's Exaltation..."

Voice says, "The Walker is not a flesh and blood being, but is a ghost. A powerful one, but a ghost none the less."

Dunbar looks at Darian. "The Solars had the same question when facing off against the Primordials. In their battle, they developed Charms to be able to harm spirits, and even destroy them for good. Surely with some time to prepare, you could develop these Charms yourselves."

Aredin raised an eyebrow at the talk of fighting Deathlords and merely waited for the right time to speak. On Dunbar's final note Aredin nodded to conclude with his statement, "So let's start by what it takes to harm a ghost... then how to destroy a ghost... As was said just a moment ago, these are the most powerful ghosts in existence. They are ancient compared to most of us, and have had plenty of time to amass whatever servants suit their purposes. I would think we'd have a far easier time raiding the imperial city to take the sword of creation by force than to invade the seat of power of a Deathlord in hopes of eliminating him. That's not to say I'd be unwilling to try if we had the right strategy and intelligence. However, I don't recall any of us Solars investing in training to wrangle the undead. The closest would be Kuridin, who specializes in demons. If we want help though, perhaps Rogosh, our resident expert in Necromancy, and Ma-Ha-Suchi would be able to give us practical advice. In the short-term, let's focus on our mission for this trip. We've already made the call to our neighbors." Aredin said with a nod to Sirocco, "So let's wrap that meeting up and go knock some Abyssals around."

"Let us not also forget that we may find ways of vanquishing ghosts with an artifact, or perhaps, a way to seal a ghost away. But I do agree that we should not strike until we know for sure. Even if the opportunity is here, doing so unprepared can be disastrous. If we can discover these charms quickly, perhaps we can strike while the iron is hot. Alas, I am not able to wield sorcery, so my help there will be limited should that route be what is required."

"King Aredin, would you go over a summary of the current plan, before we end this meeting. Aside from that, I am ready to leave at a moments notice."

"I can leave that quickly as well." said Annika, after hearing Ragnar's words. She would then look at Aredin. "As for my spies in Chaing-Dav, I'll have them remain there, barring any contradictory requests from you." she said, thinking that they could still try and take the place now that Ejava and the Vermillion Legion were gone.

Aredin gave a dismissive gesture. "No no, that's fine, Annika. We'll need some method of warning in the event they try anything against our territories."

"...As for our plan, Darian and I will meet with the Lunars, along with any of you that wish to join us. Once they have agreed to cooperate, we will move for Metagalapa together. As for the Stone of the Golden Bier, I've entrusted it to Darian. She has the sharpest senses of any of us. Though, I suppose I should clarify something. The stone itself does not detect Voice. Apparently, Abyssal Exalted don't trigger its power. So, what we are more likely to find is any familiars or corrupted servitors in the field before we identify Malice or Widow. Once we have an idea who their eyes are, we are going to plant the rumor of a recent discovery and let that lead them to us. We are then going to beat them unconscious, chain them in manacles, and either extract useful intelligence from them or convert them to our cause." Aredin paused now that the simplistic outline was laid out before continuing.

"For our cover story, I am a merchant prince on holiday with my wife and you all are our entourage of bodyguards, retainers, and the like. Feel free to fill any details as appropriate if it's necessary, any fore-warning you can give is helpful. This is just close enough to the truth that it should be fairly easy to hold up to scrutiny."

Aredin then looks to his brother momentarily and adds. "I see no point in hiding the twin thing, lying on that is a hard sell with minimal reward."

Turning to the Lunars he'd ask, "I'd like Rogosh and Sirocco to maintain diminutive animal forms when we are in public, so any effort of ambush is more likely to underestimate us. The less time I have to spend killing street-thugs and misguided catspaws, the better. I'd actually like to enjoy this outing." He'd say with a smile.

Manse ●●

Allows its bearer instinctively to sense all animate corpses, ghosts and shadowland boundaries (but not Abyssal Exalted) within 10 yards.

"I'll pretend to be your bodyguard. After all, Night Castes are supposed to be the most alert and aware of the Solars." Annika said to Aredin while grinning at him.

"As will I," Ragnar said in accordance with Annika."I doubt I would be able to pass as anything else anyway. Annika can point the way, and I'll beat it to a pulp." He said with a small smile.

"As for meeting the Lunars, I would prefer to be present in case things turn violent. If there are no other options, I can stay behind and safeguard the city until we are ready to go to the flying mountain and have things prepared for when we do venture out."

Aredin merely gave a warm smile. "I am prepared for our meeting. I wouldn't worry yourself about them being hostile."

A short time later, Sirocco has a visitor in the form of the elemental that Heaven summoned. It materializes in front of you and offers up a polite bow. "Noble Exalt, I bear news. First, my message to Raksi and Ma-Ha-Suchi requesting a meeting of the Silver Pact has been delivered. Raksi showed little interest in this and at this point has no reply, but Ma-Ha-Suchi has expressed an interest in learning more of your Circle of Exalts, and is willing to come to Gwynnin to talk. He has said he can be here to join you for your mid-day meal tomorrow if that is acceptable. I believe that the destruction of Thorns has given him some extra motivation to meet."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back