• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Darian is quite content to be at home in her own bed for once. From all the time she has spent bouncing back and forth between Rathess and Chaing-Dav and home, it seems that she is spending more time out of Gwynnin than in. But the work of the Unconquered Sun is important, and she is dedicated on the mission to bring His light to the ignorant and to cleanse the darkness from Creation. First on the list of objectives is to make sure the Underways of the old city are safe once more.

But that will have to wait for another day. This day, the Priestess of the Sun is getting ready to oversee the morning devotional in the small temple. We really need to expand. With so many in Gwynnin now, it is taking our priests so much time offering up services to make time for all to be able to attend. It is a good problem to have.

Annika gave the Lunar a nod of acknowledgment. "That shouldn't be necessary for the time being. I'll see what Aredin and Darian make of your information, and then decide what to do with Idola. But thanks for the offer."

Having said that, Annika would scale the building down to street level and make her way towards the temple, aware that Darian would be overseeing the morning ceremony there, and guessing that Aredin would perhaps be close by.

Heading to the temple, there is a large crowd there, waiting to show their devotions to the Sun and to the Celestial Exalts of the city. Many of the Exalts of the city are there, waiting to see Darian, since word of her return to Gwynnin has spread. The morning devotional is a pleasant one, and everybody leaves the temple on a high note.

As Darian is being welcomed back from her latest trip, you can see that Annika is there, looking like she wishes to speak with you.

Aredin slept in considerably compared to his normal routine. Construction was going well and the day to day activities needed little of his direct oversight. Still, his wife's return was a welcome relief from everyday stresses. He'd approach the temple, somewhat sleepy-eyed as he peered at the building crowd. "S'pose I deserve this for being late," he muttered, stepping forward to his usual seat around the congesting masses. He notably ignored the various accusing glares he'd get from the likes of Darma and the other priests while he waited for the ceremony to begin.

It is eight in the morning as a trio of Guild river transports are sailing down the Raerwen River heading towards the growing city of Gwynnin. Currently standing on the deck of the lead ship, Kuridin is looking ahead for the first sight of the city after having paid for passage on the vessel. You are not the only passenger on the ship; several others are onboard looking to make a fresh start to their lives in there, with their things loaded down in the ship's hold. From what you have heard, the population has really exploded in Gwynnin, ever since the new Lord and Lady have started their rule. If even half of the rumors you've heard about this place, it is full of fellow Exalted, including the Lord and Lady who people are saying are Solar Exalts!

As the city comes into view, you can see that there is a bunch of fresh construction going on. New homes are being built up, businesses, and there is a outer wall being made by a diligent work force of both mortal people and earth elementals. It would seem that Gwynnin has benefited from an economic boom to be able to afford all of this.

One by one, the ships ease their way up next to a recently constructed set of docks where they tie off and the crews get ready to unload the cargo. First off are the excited passengers, their eyes darting about, as if they are looking for some trace of the famed Exalted that run this small city. A half dozen men and women dressed in matching clothes and light armor, armed with lightweight clubs on their belts pair off and approach each ship. They are clearly some sort of city watch or soldiers, and the cargomaster on your ship makes his way down the gangplank to talk to them. From the response the city guard is giving the cargomaster, this is an expected delivery of supplies to the city, and they step back to allow the crew to begin the process of unloading the ships.

This leaves you briefly alone as you stand on the dock, looking about the place. What do you do now? There are several locals moving about the docks, so you have your pick of people you can approach and ask directions from.

Oh how the world had grown in the past months. At least it had to the man called Ragnar. Having been content in his small tribal home, he was not a well traveled man. The intricacies of the political stage and the nations that danced upon it had gone largely unnoticed by him. Until now, as he slowly began to adjust. One of the reason that Ragnar had tried to stay out of the way of others in the Circle. He was too simple of a man to help with the honeyed words that bureaucracy required, and too straightforward to appreciate its complexities. So too was it, that some of the tales of the Unconquered Sun he was reading for the first time. The lack of knowledge he had of First Age and the Glories of the Unconquered Sun, was something that he expected tempted even the lowest of acolytes to chide him for. Though, that did not stop him from speaking to the rising Sun as he watched every morning.

However, out of the way did not mean not busy. The growing size of the army meant even more time he had to devote to train the larger numbers. But further still came the word of this military genius, this Tepet Ejava. Naive that he was of the world, a fool Ragnar was not. He would send for what records of her were available. From books of her deeds and battles, to fireside tales and exaggerations. He needed to be sure that he was prepared for this threat, and part of that was knowing his enemy.

Now though, it was time for devotion. Something he had started to attend a couple months back.

The faint smell of an aromatic tobacco perhaps would announce his presence to Aredin before the large hand that came down to rest on the shoulder of the sleepy King. "The Sun rises at its whim, but it yet never fails to rise." Ragnar stated with a smile, commenting in the tardiness of the King. Rykon Rykon

It was uncommon to see Ragnar out of his armor, but it the instances he was, he tended to wear a humble tunic. Even to an event such as the morning devotion, he did not feel right in the fine threads that many wore.

Aredin sat with a subdued smile as Ragnar chided his tardiness. He gestured lazily to the crowd and altar, seemingly conjuring a flask of coffee from the air after prompting his friend to look about. "I try not to take things so seriously around here lately. Things are going well, my beloved wife is home, and our people are thriving. What better way to celebrate our blessings than with some extra rest." He took a slow pull of his drink before discarding it into a special place Elsewhere that prevents it from cooling overmuch.

"Still, you've probably got plenty more on your plate than scolding my laziness. Tell me, how is morale among the troops lately?"

Sirocco cups her belly, feeling the baby kicking. She was a strong baby. While some of the midwifes here had told her that they can predict the child's gender, she brushed them off, as she was certain it was a baby girl, though her instincts also told her that the girl would take more after her father in many ways. Still, enjoying the sunrise, she made her way back to bed, caressing Heaven's sleeping form. "My love, the sun is up, and we probably need to get up and about. We have come here to report to Aredin and Darian about our progress in Rathess."

Kalin Scarlet Kalin Scarlet

Feeling the warmth of his Sirocco's touch, Heaven opens his eyes slowly, adjusting to the light as he admired the form of his mate. He strokes her hand and sits up with a yawn.

"Mmmn, how I miss sleeping in...but you're right. Our service for the king and queen is ceaseless. Just give me a moment..." He says quietly. Heaven caresses Sirocco's stomach, feeling the life growing strong within her as he kisses her softly.

These past months had seen so much change in their lives, it was sometimes hard for him to believe it. Especially when Sirocco called him her love without even the slightest hint of teasing. Not that she didn't tease him anymore. In fact she may have teased him more over the fact that he found it far more difficult to hit on women with a pregnant Lunar by his side.

Speaking of the child, the most obvious change...Heaven had tried to worry in the earlier months, but Sirocco had become quite proficient in making him stop, and these days, as they came closer and closer to inviting the life they created into the world, Heaven could only feel a sense of joy.

Sirocco drew Heaven out of bed, and then got dressed. She wore a dress. Sure, it wasn't a fancy dress like Darian might wear, not even close to it, as it was rough spun, and utalitarian, but still, it was a dress. As she got dressed, she looked over her shoulder at Heaven, feeling the warmth coming from him through their Bond, and said "I know we haven't discussed this, but would you consider starting a Sorcery school in Rathess? maybe even trying to teach Sorcery to the Dragon Kings?"

Ragnar chuckled and say down. It would be alie to say that there was no pang of envy, from remembrance of such time with his own family. It made him smile nonetheless that."Good. Enjoy it. Savor every moment. Opportunities to rest come few and far between. Rarer still the times you can enjoy it with the ones you love." He said.

Ragnar say down beside Aredin. "Overall, the mood is well. Minus the gripes from the new recruits not used to the training regiment. But too grows a sense of pride in protecting a city worth fighting for. They greater sense of purpose they have, the harder they will fight."

"Morale is a fickle thing, Aredin. It is best measured by how easy it is to restore, and how hard it is to break. Neither of which will be easy to say until their might and mettle are tested in earnest.

"That said, I am confident in them. They have been training hard, and even they can see the results. And if we can get a few more exalts within our ranks, all the better. You should go visit them, your troops. I think your presence acknowledging them would do wonders in bolstering their mood."

Ragnar leaned back in his seat,"What about you? And the rest if the Circle. I'm afraid I've been a bit to busy to keep track."

Aredin raised an eyebrow at the request. "I do visit them when I go on my morning runs up around the battlements. Though, I sometimes worry a few may be putting on a brave face for me. Lately, I've had plenty of time to meet with farmers, workers, and scholars. I get to see the many children play about the city. There's even a stickball field out there past the barley patch where many of them gather to play. It's certainly given the adults an outlet after long days." Aredin paused and looked down with a sigh before continuing. "Only real place I've avoided somewhat is the docks. Reminders of loss like that sting a lot more when she's away, y'know? Still, it's about as far as I generally let the guildsmen get, so I'm out there far more often than I'd like."

Ragnar laughed,"I am sure they are. And if you run by there enough, I'm sure that face will stick. That alone will help me out." He joked. "But no, I meant something a little more official. An inspection. It will give them a good reason to try and impress you, and to witness the result themselves.However, it is just a passing thought, if you had any extra time."

Ragnar listened intently. While he hadn't been here for long, there was something about the place that was quickly starting to feel like a home. Just the mention of the children doing well was enough to brighten his day. And given all the people he meets, it was no wondered Aredin needed that rest.

Yet, his smile sobered as Aredin mention the docks, and loss. "I do know. All too well." He said quietly, thinking of both Lorana and Nathor. And how it would feel to return to the North where his village once was, and all the memories that would be brought to the surface just being there. That Aredin could visit a place of sorrow to him so often, Ragnar was not sure that was something the he himself could do. "But that you have her to ease that pain is a blessing of itself."

Ragnar did not know a lot about Aredin. Or Darian, or Annika, or the others. Though Ragnar knew that his connection with them would deepen in time. "Who was it? That you lost. What happened?" Ragnar asked softly. Wanting to learn more about the heart of his friend. The good and the ill.

"A school?" Heaven murmured, climbing out of bed and dressing in his usual robes. "I dunno...It'd certainly present an interesting challenge. Not nearly as daunting as teaching you, though."

He walks over to Sirocco, resting a hand on his hip as he looks towards her, his gaze wavering for a moment. "And the cost...not everyone will be willing to pay it. It's an idea worth considering, however! Let's bring it to the others, shall we?"

Kurdin stood for several moments just taking in the scenery around him, the bustling workers, the awestruck people who had all but scurried off the boat as soon as able. The smell of the air bringing him a flood of memories, both joyous and sorrowful. He took note of the presence of guards, and other fairly obvious persons of charge and made his way towards a particular pair that appeared to be untethered to any one task. As he approached them he removed his hood and extended a hand in greeting towards the men.

"Excuse me, gentlemen, where would a man find a hot breakfast and a hard beverage? It has been quite the voyage and I find myself rather in need."

"Excuse me, gentlemen, where would a man find a hot breakfast and a hard beverage? It has been quite the voyage and I find myself rather in need."
The two guards stop their idle conversation between themselves and turn to face you. One starts talking without really looking at you, saying, "Well, we have several . . . Oh! M'Lord! My pardon!" He immediately bows deep, along with his comrade. "We were not expecting you here this morning, M'Lord. Not that you have to have our permission to come and go, of course!"

The other guard looks embarrassed. "My pardon, M'lord. Jaxom here is new to the city, and has recently enlisted, so he doesn't know much about the city. How can we be of service to you? You are asking about a good restaurant? Looking for something different than the meals at the Manor?"

Darian sees her husband and Ragnar having a conversation, and she slowly works her way through the people leaving the temple to join them. "Ah, finally out of bed, I see!" She winks at her husband to show her good mood. "My good Ragnar. You are looking well this morning. It is a good thing to see you both here enjoying the devotional. How did you both enjoy the sermon today?"

'Hmm, seems I resemble someone important around here..' Kuridin thought as he scratched his stubble.
"I fear you may have mistaken me for someone else, for I am no one of any title and have only just arrived in this town this very morning. I did ask about a place for a meal but more importantly a place for me to wet my whistle as it were. I also find my self curious as to whom it is that I resemble." He replied with a light-hearted chuckle.

The two guards trade a look. Kuridin can tell that they are trying to figure out if you are telling the truth, or just messing with them. "Ah, if you say so, M'l. . . Uh, yes. I must say, you are a spitting image of our Lord Aredin. Very much so. But, if you are looking for a good room and a meal, there is the Laughing Gryphon Inn. It is up this road, turn right at Mason Street, and it is two buildings up from the corner. It is near the main marketplace, so you have your choice of eating at the Inn, or perusing the food carts and stalls in the market. Either way, welcome to Gwynnin."

Aredin had looked to Ragnar briefly and said, "I lost my parents and my brother to the fae nearly thirteen years ago. We were a fisherman's family in a coastal area of Varangia to the south. Not much here really resembles that life, other than the docks." With that he'd attempt to leave the subject be at that.

With Darian's tease he merely chuckled. "It was wonderful Darian." He gestured to the crowd again. "I'm not the only one happy to have you back either. Much as I like our friends in Rathess, our people here are still very attached. With everyone here, seems like we should look into making our next major move."

Kuridin nodded "Excellent, thank you very much. I have to say I'm quite surprised to hear that I resemble such a figure. I am sure he is the best of the best and I look forward to meeting his grace at some point." The prospect of tasting the sweet nectar once more put a smile on Kuridin's face along with the knowledge that the man he came to meet may, in fact, be the man he deep down hoped him to be. He then turned from the men and started off towards this Laughing Graphon he had just been informed about to satisfy his aching belly.

Another lost family. He did not know. But such is why he asked. It wasnt hard to see from the look on his face, that Aredin wanted to drop the subject. Ragnar could empathize too well on the matter to have the though of pushing the issue to cross his mind. He would not even offer condolences. His only response was a slow simplennodnof understanding.

Then came his wife, and welcome alleviation of the mood. Ragnar stood, at her presence. "Thank you, as do you." He said to her with a smile,"Your devotion was as touching as always. Mornings haven't been the same without your presence."

At the mention of their next move, Ragnar turned to look at Aredin."That we should, my friend. And I take it that you have something in mind?"

Taking Heaven's hand, Sirocco smiled at him, and they made their way to the temple, where, at such an early morning they are likely to find Darian and Aredin.

Annika would follow after Darian, and grin when she saw the other woman heading towards Aredin and Ragnar, thinking she could pass on what she had to say to all three of them at once. She gave friendly nods to Aredin and Ragnar, the latter of whom she had provided with information on Tepet Ejava that her people in Chaing-Dav, and after the pleasantries were exchanged and talk turned to what the Circle should do next, she would clear her throat and speak up.

"With regards to what our next move should be, I just got a report from one of my people about the situation in Chaing-Dav." she said, before explaining about Tepet Ejava's apparent plans to pull out of the city and march to Paragon, as well as the letters and orders the general had received last night.

"Of course, I'm assuming that Ejava will leave at least some of her troops behind to keep watch over the city and maintain order." she said. "But assuming that this isn't some sort of trap she's planning for us, the fact remains that Chaing-Dav will have less people on hand to repel invaders. This could be our chance to take the city."

Sirocco and Heaven reach the temple, and can spot their companions gathered together. In a soft voice Sirocco whispers "See, they are all here, so we can raise that issue with them" As they approach the others, Sirocco straightens her dress a bit, clearly still unused to it, and occasionally, absent-mindedly, she puts a hand on her belly, which strangely enough, is barely showing for a 7 month pregnancy.

"Ooooh, I see we arrived just in time, as you are planning to add another city to our growing nation." Sirocco says teasingly, and then turns and nods at Darian and Aredin, exchanging a knowing look with both Annika and Darian "My Lord, and Lady, we have come from Rathess, and the city is being cleared and organized. We are getting the Dragon Kings up and running, and there may be another enclave of them that might join us in the city. They are making their way there. In addition, it seems that even I can be taught Sorcery, and as I suggested to Heaven my love, this very morning, it might also be a good place to start a Sorcery school."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back