• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Well... I've been hoping to get this matter with Ma-Ha-Suchi settled quickly, but it seems this demands our more immediate attention. I won't say the land itself isn't valuable, it is, however our true target this entire time has been getting the Vermillion Legion to convert to our cause. She can believe the lie that her forces are superior all she wants, but that doesn't mean her armies wouldn't be slaughtered in the field." Aredin stood up as if he seemed ready to move, then he saw Sirocco and Heaven approach. Seeing them together did bring a fresh smile to his face.

"Ah, friends this is great news. Given that we just built a school here, I see no reason why we shouldn't invest in Rathess as well. Here..." Aredin fished into his sleeve and pulled a signet coin set in gold into his palm before handing it to Heaven. As currency, it was worthless. Only Jade and Silver were recognized in the current world. Here in Gwynnin, such coins were minted to show that the King would cover the bill of a given service. "Ask the scribes for any copies you may need to take with you. Pay them with that and they will know it's important."

"It'll be a few days before Ejava sets off." said Annika, once Aredin had addressed the other two. "Seems to me that we can either let her leave and resolve things with Ma-Ha-Suchi while we await her return, or some of us can try and kidnap her and bring her to Gwynnin to start converting her, and then deal with Ma-Ha-Suchi at our leisure."

"If we head down there we may as well convert her on the premises while her adjutants are there and spare Darian the hassle of repetition. I doubt they'd be able to mount any sort of significant threat with such a sudden arrival anyways. I don't want to drag this on longer than we have to, so let's aim for departure tomorrow. Ma-Ha-Suchi hasn't shown any interest in meeting within the next week, so I think it's safe to say he can wait until we sort out this business. As for today, I want you to gather all pertinent intelligence we have on her disposition to fill us in. The more we know about her objectives the better we can persuade her to turn her course."

"As you wish, Aredin." replied Annika, giving him a nod and turning around to head back to her headquarters.

"Even should she be arrogant in the ability of her forces, their numbers and her mind is a combination we should not take lightly. Should we choose to invade, then waiting for her to be out of range of turning around would be best. Though why not both?" He asked with a chuckle, though at the same time was quite serious. Invasion and kidnapping. Would certainly come with several added benefits of its own.

He nodded at Aredin,"A hasty departure. Shall I mobilize any troops for this venture?" He asked. "Otherwise I'll be leaving Ram in charge, and have them focus on national defense. Which given these mobilization of forces, I'd reccomend. I will also be increasing scout patrols, to make sure there is no unsavory movement around our territory."

"Chaing-Av is roughly 600 miles away. No, I don't think we'll be able to move troops that quickly before she is fully mobilized to depart. As for kidnapping, the whole point isn't to take her, it's to assimilate the whole legion. She's not the only Dragon-Blooded in the unit. Much like we did against the Wyld Hunt, we will travel swiftly with a few highly capable combatants in the event she refuses to speak peacefully. Even still, should she refuse diplomacy I think we should simply leave. I'd rather not stain our hands as aggressors in a merciless bloodbath."

Sirocco nods at the discussion going around "If i may" and pauses till the others fall silent "While I have great confidence in your intelligence, I would volunteer myself to the mission of the capture and kidnapping of Tepet Ejava. She is a lady of some import, and as such, might have sidereal advisor. They have long found way to counter, or at least alert them to the presence of the Solar Exalted, but if i go in animal form, it would be a lot harder for them to find me." And she adds with a smile "Especially if I happen to be her favored horse, or pet, or some animal that is a constant in the camp."

Aredin stopped to look at Sirocco. "Again, why the fixation on just kidnapping her? If we only convert her and she orders them to follow us it will split the unit, especially if there is a Bronze Faction Sidereal present. The prize here isn't the one Dragon-Blooded, it's the resources of her unit."

He turned to the others, clearly many of them had already committed this idea to their minds. "Alright fine, if you want to kidnap her for the fun of it, who am I to spoil your amusement. Let's just make this quick. If it is noticed that she is missing before she returns to them, the troops will be hostile to any sort of diplomatic overtures we make."

Sirocco bursts out laughing "Well, Ok then, what exactly do you suggest? That we show up in full regalia, and just expect her to listen to us, and not attack immediately? She is not the only Dragon-Blooded there, and it could be enough if one of them strikes out on his own for there to be a massacre, whether that massacre is ours or theirs. And while I trust our ability to fight, as we clearly shown fighting the Wyld Hunt. This is no Wyld Hunt. This is a full legion, filled with Dragon-Blooded officers, and their heavy powered troops, and the likely addition of some Warstriders, and while the Bull of the North defeated five of these legions, he had a full army at his disposal, and you're suggesting just us Exalts." She cocks her head to the side "You know I trust your leadership, and I have come to believe in what we're building here." And she says this as she absentmindedly caresses her stomach, as if to quiet the forming daughter. "But I do NOT want us to throw it away on a whim. I am willing to lay out more than my life on the line for this, but we cannot give them a chance to take out most of our Exalts in one chance. You do not wish to kidnap her? fine. But let's do it in a wise manner. let us send her a message that we wish to parley, and see how she reacts and responds to this."

Aredin laughed, "Yes actually, that is almost what I was going to do, because they aren't a threat." Aredin said bluntly. He could tell in her voice however that her fear and concern was real. Yet he still found it difficult to see the Vermillion Legion as it was to be a legitimate danger to any of the combatants in the circle. Warstriders seemed like a huge obstacle to try and overcome, however, the level of maintenance required to keep them running meant they were unlikely to be in active use without forewarning of conflict. Even still, he had already proven capable of cutting through most armor.

"Doing it this way means the warstriders and the troops will not be organized and ready to fight for quite some time until I've already started speaking with Ejava. I am cut of a diplomat's cloth, this is what we do." Aredin tossed the globe of transport up and down idly as he spoke. "I wouldn't ask you to risk your life on this trip, and I don't mind going alone. If they chose to attack, I merely leave. It's not like they can just stop me departing as easily as I arrived. They are a renowned and disciplined military unit. So long as I approach with tact, I trust their training will dictate that they wait until ordered to attack." He let the globe roll back up his sleeve into elsewhere. "Regardless of how little of time I intend to give them to react to our presence. I want to hear Annika's intelligence report before finalizing a plan."

As Kuridin makes his way through the streets of Gwynnin, it is clear that many people here seem to feel that he is this Lord that the two guards were talking about. Several bow respectfully, some give you a pleasant greeting, and you are given plenty of space to walk down the streets. From the reaction of the people here, this Lord is a popular one.

Once you turn down Mason Street, the smell of cooking food assails your nose and makes your mouth water and stomach growl, and you are able to find the Laughing Gryphon Inn by just following your nose. The building is three stories tall, with the tavern and kitchen on the bottom floor and guest rooms up above. Walking in, you see that the common room is fairly large, and while it is not quite packed, with roughly forty people here, there are few empty seats available.

A perky young serving girl makes her way through the tables and comes up to you. As she guides you through the crowd, she says, "Greetings, M'lord! It is an honor to have you here this mornin'! We are filing up rapidly after your wife's devotional to the Unconquered Sun. A true blessing to have our High Priestess and Lady back in Gwynnin, but the work of spreading the gospel is a full time affair, is it not? Are you here to meet with Ragara Hax? He is in the private dining room." Her face is beaming at the thought of having someone so important in the restaurant.
Neopilot Neopilot

For the rest of the assembled Circle standing out front of the Temple, you can all feel a strange sensation in the air, almost as if there is something momentous about to happen. In what was a moment before a clear sky, dark purple and grey clouds begin to gather to the west, and lightning flashes can be seen in them. It does not take a wise man to be able to tell that this is not a natural weather pattern.

Darian listens to the conversation as the opinions go back and forth, knowing that she can offer little in the way of helpful advice to Aredin on matters of diplomacy and statecraft. "I can say, that if we were able to get even a semi-peaceful sit down with the Roseblack, we would be able to use or powers to sway her opinions on the 'demon Anathama' here in Gwynnin, and then be more open to us in the future as we expand our territory."
For the rest of the assembled Circle standing out front of the Temple, you can all feel a strange sensation in the air, almost as if there is something momentous about to happen. In what was a moment before a clear sky, dark purple and grey clouds begin to gather to the west, and lightning flashes can be seen in them. It does not take a wise man to be able to tell that this is not a natural weather pattern.
Darian looks up into the sky as the strange colored clouds begin to swirl about. "Please, forgive my ignorance, but is that a normal thing for clouds to do? I have only had my eyes for a short time, and I have never seen the like before."

Sirocco looks at Aredin intently before she speaks "I am a warrior, and have trained for combat, and now, I do not for one second suggest that anyone in this circle is incapable of fighting, as we've all proven, several times. But saying that the legion is not a threat, is not something even I would suggest. And truly, I understand that as someone whose job is to be a diplomat, you wish to talk to her, and maybe find a better solution that doesn't involve fighting." And then she sighs, and she can feel the baby kicking. "For the sake of this new nation that we're building, let's do it smartly. Showing up out of the blue will likely throw them into disarray, but that can mean that some troops will forget their discipline, and react from their guts. We need to let her know we intend to parlay, before we even do so. Whether by sorcerous method, or sneaking in and leaving a note, or whatever other way, we need to show her that we are serious, but that we are not hostile."

At Darian's comment, Sirocco looks up, and says "Nope, that is DEFINITELY not a natural thing." and then gives a short glance towards Aredin, and says "But this" she points at the sky "Is equivalent to how you wanted to make a drop on Tepet Ejava." And with that said, she lets her essence course through her body, and changes into her War Form, and launches into the air,to see if she can spot the source of this ill weather.

Last edited:
Once you are up in the air, Sirocco can see that these clouds are forming a long way off, but there are so many of them, the cloud formation is covering the whole horizon. As you watch, a second batch of dark clouds begin to form over the jungles to the south of Gwynnin, roughly over the city of Rathess. Then, a third set of storm clouds begin to form to the north, but the skies overhead are still relatively clear, so whatever it is that is going on, it is not aimed at Gwynnin.

Suddenly, a towering figure appears in the sky to the west, a form that stands miles tall! A second flickering image, a mirror of the first, forms in the south, and a third materializes in the air in the north! The image is of a statuesque woman dressed in fine robes. For a moment, she stands still, her gaze falling upon all of Creation. Then, the woman speaks:

"My children, my subjects, people of Creation, fall silent! Hear me, your Scarlet Empress, champion of Creation and Eternal Ruler of the Blessed Isle! For five long years, I have turned my face from this world in order to commune with the Dragon of my Aspect and His four equal peers! And now, with my return from meditative isolation, this time of lawless tumult ends! Today, I set right the crumbling hierarchy of my government, my Legions, and the Great Houses! And woe be unto whomever defies me in this righteous cause!"

"To show you all the proof of my intent, I first turn my attention to the blight upon the face of Creation known as Thorns. With my will, I shall cleanse it and the Shadowland that encircles it from the world!"

A new batch of clouds begin to form off in the distance, these an angry red. From them, a fiery light begins to fall down upon the ground, and the ground for hundreds of miles around begins to quake under the onslaught of the cataclysm of death that falls from the sky! Even as far away as Gwynnin is from Thorns, you can feel the force of the earthquake as it shakes the very foundations of the city.

After what seems to be a very long time, the shuddering ends and the red clouds fade away.

Except for the sound of a scared barking dog, all is silent in the city.

Sherwood Sherwood Kuridin sighs as the girl finishes speaking as the warm welcome he has been receiving all morning is not something he is accustomed to and it has been slowly starting to bother him. None the less he smiled and replied to her, "As many folks I have met this morning I have to thank you for your kind words and more than warm welcome, but alas, I am not this Aredin I seem to look so much alike, although I dare say I should find a way to meet his grace myself very soon to see for myself. For now though I would very much like to enjoy some eggs and meat with a glass of whiskey if I could."

As Kuridin begins to speak, everyone inside the Inn falls silent as you hear the thunderous words coming from outside. Many leap up to their feet and go running out to see the multiple apparitions standing miles tall in the sky. Then, the earth begins to quake, knocking many off of their feet along with quite a bit of glassware and plates.

What do you do?

This, right now, males Sirocco howl with the winds around her. With the return of the Scarlet Empress, the Realm will once more mobilize together, and it won't be long before she sets her sights on destroying Gwynnin, and likely Rathess, and threatening the Dragon Kings once more. And while, for a brief moment, Sirocco thought about running to the Wyld, she could not do so now. She will NOT risk her baby in the Wyld, and she cannot abandon these people, least of all Heaven.

She quickly lands down, and looking around, she can tell they all heard it. Everyone in Creation has probably heard it. "She destroyed Thorns, as she proclaimed." is all she says.

The hair on the back of Kuridin's neck stands on end as he moves with the other patrons out into the street to see the towering woman in the sky. He took a deep breath as tremors could be felt beneath his feet and he grabbed the waitress from before by the arm and spun her to face him, "Where can I expect to find King Aredin about now?"

A shaky voice replies, "H-he is usually at the Temple of the Sun to see Lady Darian perform the morning services. He should still be there."

Aredin looked up at the Empress in the sky, he seemed calm and somewhat disappointed. "Well, this changes quite a few things. Looks like we won't be able to keep playing things safe out here. Not when she is liable to glass the city. One way or another, we will need to leave very soon if we wish to preserve these people." Aredin turned to the nearby guards and gave them his most winning smile. "Take heart friends. This Trial By Fire will only serve to reveal the power and mercy of the Most High. Keep to your faith and the shield of Temperance will keep you secure."

"Darian, Ragnar, Sirocco, Heaven, we will meet tonight and discuss next steps. I expect we will be departing for the Pyramid of the Sun very soon. We will need his guidance to weather the storm."

Last edited:
Annika was in her study looking for her dossier on Tepet Ejava when the Scarlet Empress made her grand return and obliterated Thorns, the shaking nearly knocking her off her feet and toppling the bookcases in the room, spilling their contents all over the floor. Everything that the Night Caste saw, heard and felt made her feel fear that she hadn't experienced since before her exaltation.

By the time she had recovered the dossier, calmed down her people and made her way back over to Aredin, her mood had mostly returned to normal. But by the look on her face, she knew how much the stakes had just increased by.

"I've got the dossier on Tepet Ejava." she said to him. "Although...does it really matter now?" she asked quietly, gesturing in the vague direction of where Thorns had once been.

"No, I can't say that it does," Aredin replied. "Let's convene in the castle and prepare for what comes next."

Darian looks grim. "We need to get some counsel from our Sidereal friends to know just what we are up against, along with Rogosh. He may have some first-hand knowledge of the capabilities of the weapon we are facing. In the meantime, I have some work to do to help calm the people."

Aredin turns to Darian and nods. "Aye, I should as well. They deserve a response from us. Speaking of the Sidereals though, I'm concerned that we haven't heard a peep from Aysik or Dunbar yet. I hope they're alright."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back