• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy TIDE-CRAWLERS ;; THE ABYSSUM SAGA

SACREDHERO

BLACKJACK!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
TLDR AT END

HI!!!!!!!!

First post! Wowie!! I'm excited to get this idea down!

Mermaids, right? but here me out; DARK FANTASY MERMAIDS. I'd be looking for semi-lit to literate responses (1-6 paragraphs, 1 minimum 6 maximum)

This is an interest check to see if anyone WOULD be interested, otherwise I'll put the rp down, but I'll give a synopsis of the big gist and then the character archetypes(?)

The Sea remains divided.

Five Kingdoms, Five heroes(that's us!), one prophecy, one war.

It has been said, in one reading to the next, that five heroes will come together and reunite The Sea. They will dissipate the war, end the tyranny of mad kings, feed the poor, and kill the corrupt. Five heroes will be called upon through their Blessed Blood; An ancestral connection to the Reliquiae. The Reliquiae were thought to be Peace-bringers; promising their people everlasting hope and peace among their kind. When they began to vanish, one by one, the merpeople needed new leaders. Instead of worshipping a being far greater, the people built kingdoms and made idols out of Kings.

The Prophecy was born the minute the Kingdoms fell into war. At first, it plagued their dreams, but then it plagued the tongues of the street and became word of mouth in mere days. With a war this big, with no sign of coming undone, that's all it must have been, right? Dreams? But only a power bigger than themselves could cause such a mass disturbance. The same dream, down to the very last detail, repeated for days until suddenly They decided it was enough.

With kingdoms taking sides to play their part in the story, not a glimmer of mercy being shed upon the war grounds; it's time for the Heroes the Reliquiae foretold. (Minus my character cuz I want 2 be involved but....hee hee here are the character slots that are up for grabs!!)

The Mercenary ;; The Pearl Dominion

The pearl dominion is, ideally, like the scariest place to live. It's super strict with its rules but it makes up for itself by being the most richy-rich places you have EVER seen. Being in a Mercenary Band is one thing but doing it ALONE? You're asking for the dungeons. With every richy-rich place, there's always going to be a slummy part of town that no one ever sees. Preferably your character SHOULD be from here and be a kind of "Robin Hood" character but I AM SOOOO OPEN TO IDEAS ITS CRAZY!! They shouldn't like the Knight character for obvious reasons, but if we want to do enemies to friends (or lovers maybe?) I am SOOOO down. Or they could bond n like have a bickering friendship-- THE CHOICE IS YOURS TALK IN THE OOC CHAT ABOUT IT :3 Beyond this though your character is yours to customize!!

The Knight ;; The Iridescent Isles

The Iridescent Isles is (are?) prized for their beauty. Think of it like a tropical place that has an underground palace and a few little peaking grottos above the water so they can lurk on the surface. This character, typically, should have a verrryyy privileged life. Being raised so good in fact they could be blind to the hardships of being poor or even War. They could have gone to a prestigious school, or have been trained all their life, but they should have a kind of distant and holier-than-thou vibe to them that'll gradually melt away as time goes on because i'm a SUCKER for that...They should have brighter colors but AGAIN WE CAN WORK TOGETHER ON SOMETHING!! Beyond this your character is yours to customize

The Druid ;; The Obsidian Sanctuary

The Obsidian sanctuary is closest to The Abyss, which will play a crucial part in the story as we go on :3 This area houses Merpeople of the depths, so think of survival skills harnessed by living in such deep waters. (Think Anglerfish, glowing specs of light on their tails, or cool night vision skills!) This character is, I think, the MOST flexible. In the name, this character can communicate with fish! Or even transform into more sea creatures if they'd like! My only drawbacks for them are that they need to be dim in color from the lack of sunlight, and have to be kind of...weird. The Deep has a whole other wild subset of societal standards, so they seem a little cuckoo to the ones who live above them. Beyond this your character is yours to customize

The Bard ;; The Duskwater Coves

The Duskwater Coves are RENOWNED for their advancement in...well, anything. It's kind of aquapunk here if that makes sense? It's where the most prestigious school is, and where knowledge is more of a currency than it is a trait. It's oddly warm colored here, the coral makes it look like it's autumn here all the time. Being a bard in a serious place like this does NOT pay the rent...This character could have a past romance or friendship that got them in trouble at their old job, or they could have quit to pursue their dream of music! They should have a warmer color palette, and a reason for becoming a bard in such a recluse kingdom such as Duskwater; but other than that the character is yours to customize!

All characters can be kind of basic, or inspired by real life sea creatures!

but yes!!! Let me know if this tickles anyones fantasy!!!! hee hee c:

TLDR: Dark fantasy mermaid roleplay idea, looking for interest to see who would like to play semi-preestablished characters! There is room for PLENTY of customization though!!

Wow I'm actually super interested in this premise and would love to hear more in terms of worldbuilding and even your own character. I already have ideas for like 3 of the roles so definitely count me in!

Hi!

Where is OOC hosted? Also interested in dropping app for merc
I haven’t opened it just yet! If one more person responds to this thread I’ll open the ooc chat and work on getting the rp opening written :3

heya! I'm keen. wanting a bit more worldbuilding knowledge before i could fully commit to an oc but this sounds awesome! the druid calls to me 👀

Howdy, im quite intrested! i've got some ideas for the bard and the mercenary. so long as the ooc isnt on discord, it's all swell!

Also here to express interest, but no hard feelings if you're already out of slots. Very much eyeing the Knight. ^-^

Wow I'm actually super interested in this premise and would love to hear more in terms of worldbuilding and even your own character. I already have ideas for like 3 of the roles so definitely count me in!
If you have any questions, ask away!! ^_^

If you have any questions, ask away!! ^_^
I was curious if there's any magic in the world and if there is how it works or what it can do. I ask since The Druid seems a little magical and (this is probably d&d brain) same with The Bard.

I'd also love to know more about the different kingdoms in terms of culture or like relations with with each other. I am especially eyeing The Duskwater Coves and The Obsidian Sanctuary but I'd be interested to hear about any of them.

I am in the boat with leech, If there's magic, perhaps each of the main characters could surely have their own unique ability?

Also I'm afraid there won't be a role left - I don't want to steal anyone's spot! ;-;

I was curious if there's any magic in the world and if there is how it works or what it can do. I ask since The Druid seems a little magical and (this is probably d&d brain) same with The Bard.

I'd also love to know more about the different kingdoms in terms of culture or like relations with with each other. I am especially eyeing The Duskwater Coves and The Obsidian Sanctuary but I'd be interested to hear about any of them.
Yes it does!! Especially for our characters; Since our characters are kind of like Demi-gods (For lack of a better word, being descendants of the Reliquilae would mean there’s a lineage of merpeople so you’d probably be like 1/18th if we want to get logical x3) and I’ll delve into the Five and how they parallel our characters when I write the official roleplay forum, so you guys can recap it for any reason! But the overall gist of it is that your characters have a godly parent that mimics their archetype >:3 So yes!! Everyone will have their own ability passed down from their ancestor.

That being said, some regular merpeople can kind of have powers too!! They aren’t necessarily POWER powers, but rather things that their lineage formed to better adapt for survival. For example, some Eel merpeople could have an electric touch or swim at rapid speeds, or flying fish merpeople can glide over the tides! They’re super convenient for many reasons, be it for war or for a multitude of common city jobs. Everything is set within a mediaeval era, so think super old timey jobs! Architect to poet to begged on the street; every mermaidic race definitely has a job that fits them super well.

The Druid, very similarly to DND (that’s where I got my inspiration from!) is capable of many things. The Druid in this RP would be inspired by the Circle of Stars subclass from TCOE, but of course if someone wants to change that I’m totally okay with that!! I want character archetypes to be as customizable as possible so it’s fun for everyone :) You could change it so they can only change into specific animals, or they can gather only some features from a specific sea animal (The examples listed above for example, the electric eel powers could come in handy but I will have to limit it so we’re not TOO op hehe)

The Bard, at least in this story, is a healer. Their instrument of choice is capable of healing the deepest of wounds and shielding those enchanted enoughThey can be a singer, or play a lyre, or even hurdy-gurdy if that’s your style! The way it could look visually would be a glowing trail of light, any color of your choice should work, so long as it’s not like black or deep evil red x) the light would seep into the wound and seal it up. Or if shielding, it could be something like a glowing ring around the person, etc… stuff like that!! SUPER helpful!

This is already CRAZY long but in the big formal post I’ll explain everything regarding the kingdoms and how they look in the official rp post!! If you have any ideas you’d like to add, don’t be shy!! I love suggestions! ^^

Lore? LORE? *matpat voice we love him* LOOOORRE

oooh man, making the bard the healer is almost (almost) swaying me firmly to wanting that role. i want to make a healer who is. But also, the Mercenary, and fantasy class war, and theoretical mermaid peasant uprisings. i have way too many questions about the economic systems and how militarized the nations are. uhgg, i may have to dm you with questions.

so if this is the age of kings, i will have to draw parallels between your fantasy worlds and the real-life kingdoms (of Europe mostly probably because Nation-States that are constantly fighting each other is a very European problem circa the age of feudalism/mercantilism) because AP European history destroyed my brain.
sorry.
I'm getting like- Netherlands or slightly ottoman vibes off of Duskwatter coves. this is because of the brain drain after the Spanish and Portuguese expulsions, so the Netherlands has three countries worth of educated people. the good universities are a crossover, as is the "knowledge is wealth" vibes. The Pearl Dominion seems to have a very high-class divide, which I'm interpreting as just full-on feudalism, and because of what seems to be militarism, I'm going to swing Prussia, specifically after partitioning Poland (rip Poland you were a real one). i would not be surprised by cameralism shenanigans. i considered France, but you know who is really giving France? The Irridecent Isles. the flashiness is very Sun King, as is ignoring the suffering of the lower class in exchange for lavish palaces. also, love the universities there too. The Obsidian Sanctuary is giving tzarist Russia. the remoteness, the struggle between modernization and the old ways, its dark there, and it probably gets way more flack because "oooh spooky". I cant say if they have the aristocracy problem, but they are probably looked down on (literally and figuratively) by the others.

Also, who's our fifth nation? who's the role you're gonna take? (its gonna be a parallel to early modern era Spain, the Italian city-states, or GB by accident and if it is I will explode.)

edit: holy carp do i have suggestions for you. entirely too many suggestions.

Yes it does!! Especially for our characters; Since our characters are kind of like Demi-gods (For lack of a better word, being descendants of the Reliquilae would mean there’s a lineage of merpeople so you’d probably be like 1/18th if we want to get logical x3) and I’ll delve into the Five and how they parallel our characters when I write the official roleplay forum, so you guys can recap it for any reason! But the overall gist of it is that your characters have a godly parent that mimics their archetype >:3

That being said, some regular merpeople can kind of have powers too!! They aren’t necessarily POWER powers, but rather things that their lineage formed to better adapt for survival. For example, some Eel merpeople could have an electric touch or swim at rapid speeds, or flying fish merpeople can glide over the tides! They’re super convenient for many reasons, be it for war or for a multitude of common city jobs. Everything is set within a mediaeval era, so think super old timey jobs! Architect to poet to begged on the street; every mermaidic race definitely has a job that fits them super well.

The Kingdoms are meant to represent four seasons + the day and night cycle, which I know sounds so confusing but I’ll try;
Lore? LORE? *matpat voice we love him* LOOOORRE

oooh man, making the bard the healer is almost (almost) swaying me firmly to wanting that role. i want to make a healer who is. But also, the Mercenary, and fantasy class war, and theoretical mermaid peasant uprisings. i have way too many questions about the economic systems and how militarized the nations are. uhgg, i may have to dm you with questions.

so if this is the age of kings, i will have to draw parallels between your fantasy worlds and the real-life kingdoms (of Europe mostly probably because Nation-States that are constantly fighting each other is a very European problem circa the age of feudalism/mercantilism) because AP European history destroyed my brain.
sorry.
I'm getting like- Netherlands or slightly ottoman vibes off of Duskwatter coves. this is because of the brain drain after the Spanish and Portuguese expulsions, so the Netherlands has three countries worth of educated people. the good universities are a crossover, as is the "knowledge is wealth" vibes. The Pearl Dominion seems to have a very high-class divide, which I'm interpreting as just full-on feudalism, and because of what seems to be militarism, I'm going to swing Prussia, specifically after partitioning Poland (rip Poland you were a real one). i would not be surprised by cameralism shenanigans. i considered France, but you know who is really giving France? The Irridecent Isles. the flashiness is very Sun King, as is ignoring the suffering of the lower class in exchange for lavish palaces. also, love the universities there too. The Obsidian Sanctuary is giving tzarist Russia. the remoteness, the struggle between modernization and the old ways, its dark there, and it probably gets way more flack because "oooh spooky". I cant say if they have the aristocracy problem, but they are probably looked down on (literally and figuratively) by the others.

Also, who's our fifth nation? who's the role you're gonna take? (its gonna be a parallel to early modern era Spain, the Italian city-states, or GB by accident and if it is I will explode.)

edit: holy carp do i have suggestions for you. entirely too many suggestions.
THIS IS SO FASCINATING AHHH!! I never really looked into a historical view point of it, I had an idea based on novels I’ve read but honestly drawing parallels is actually really quite fun and, to be quite honest, I think you’re very much on point from what I remember from history classes! I should have done more research on my own, especially because a lot of fantasy worlds can be tied back to real world history, so I am terribly sorry if it feels a little silly knowing I’m flying by the skin of my butt when it comes to that ^^;

Also, hey!!! Don’t apologize for info dumping!!! I will read it up every single time!!!

By all means, feel free to talk to me about this! This can help me GREATLY with tweaking the world…And while I can’t say much about the fifth nation juuuust yet, I can tell you one thing for certain: the water is warm there… The kingdom sits just above a dormant underwater volcano, and due to the islands ABOVE the kingdom, it is within a fully submerged grotto. It’s massive this time, Lots of sharp and jagged rocks if you get what I mean hee hee :3

Make as many connections as you want, and feel free to (as always) make any suggestions you wish! I’m always open to constructive criticism and better world building improvement!

Yes it does!! Especially for our characters; Since our characters are kind of like Demi-gods (For lack of a better word, being descendants of the Reliquilae would mean there’s a lineage of merpeople so you’d probably be like 1/18th if we want to get logical x3) and I’ll delve into the Five and how they parallel our characters when I write the official roleplay forum, so you guys can recap it for any reason! But the overall gist of it is that your characters have a godly parent that mimics their archetype >:3

The Kingdoms are meant to represent four seasons + the day and night cycle, which I know sounds so confusing but I’ll try;
I am in the boat with leech, If there's magic, perhaps each of the main characters could surely have their own unique ability?

Also I'm afraid there won't be a role left - I don't want to steal anyone's spot! ;-;
I forgot to respond to this one SPECIFICALLY but hey u!!! Don’t you worry! I haven’t assigned anyone to anything yet; I’m going to post a character sheet shortly and start accepting admissions through that! I didn’t think this would be such a hit heehee :3

alas, the waiting game is the worst…
HOPEFULLY, it doesn't quote my response weirdly this time, augh, dying of embarrassment because I feel like a grandpa when it comes to this site >_<;;; I'm sorry for taking so long everyone!! I'm uploading the character sheets right now, and then I'll shoot you private messages regarding whether you are in or not!!

HOPEFULLY, it doesn't quote my response weirdly this time, augh, dying of embarrassment because I feel like a grandpa when it comes to this site >_<;;; I'm sorry for taking so long everyone!! I'm uploading the character sheets right now, and then I'll shoot you private messages regarding whether you are in or not!!
By the way. what types of face-claims will we be using for the characters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back