• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Xian of Wu (OOC) [closed]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Ganryu

Your Lovable Jackass GM
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
1565497398416.png

Long ago, those monsters, the Jiu, began to attack humanity. Evil spirits given form of a monster, and a taste for blood. No matter what the people did, they could not harm these monsters. Fire, Steel, Nature, the sea, landslides, nothing the people did could put these monsters down, for no whatever what they did, they always came back. They seemed immortal! Not even time could touch them.

The Jiu had always been a problem, but one or two lost in a village was put down as myth, but now they seemed scared, and their rampage lasted hundreds of years. Humanity was nearly destroyed, only a handful of refugees lived here and there, avoiding the Jiu whenever possible. Colonies of a few dozen were the largest humanity could manage. Any more, and the Jiu would find them.

Then things changed with a man called Sun Yang. Sneaking out of the camp to hunt, he noticed two Jiu arguing with eachother. His body told him to run, yet he stayed to watch. One Jiu killed the other, and left the corpse behind. And import thought came to Yang. A Jiu can kill a Jiu. Looting its body, he soaked his sword in its blood, and wrote a simple symbol on the blade. 活, to live. Licking the edge for luck, he went. Charging the other Jiu, he swung his blade at from behind. It rolled its eyes... until its arm fell to the ground, and would not heal.

For the first time ever, a human had hurt a Jiu, and it now fought viciously to live. A fierce battle raged in the woods as trees fell, rocks shattered, the earth rend, and in the end, Yang stood over the first ever Jiu killed by man.

Returning shattered to his encampment, they were horrified at the state he was in. He should have died, yet the demon blood he'd eaten kept him alive, healing his body, and changing him, making him stronger. Torn flesh mended, broken bone healed, even hair grew. Symbols for 活 began to appear across his body, and continued to heal him, black tattoos with it. No one believed his tale, even when he showed the entire village both corpses, hauling the two bodies into the small camp. They scorned Yang, called him an idiot boy. What if he had led the Jiu to them?

He kept the corpses just in case, draining their blood, laughing like a madman. He knew he was onto something great, and it didn't matter what others thought. Some thought he had gone mad, but like the Jiu, they could not kill him. He forgave them, but he seemed so quick to anger those days.

A Jiu did find their village, however, and this time Sun Yang was ready for them. Dipping his sword in the blood, he attacked, only to be swatted away, his blade glancing off their hide, doing no damage. The village screamed, another settlement to be snuffed out, they had grown too big.

Coughing blood from the tree he had been embedded, Yang couldn't understand it, until an epiphany came to him... Peeling himself off, he licked the blade once more, he felt a surge of power, and charged a second time, engaging the demon, though near death. The battle lasted for an hour, again scarring the earth, before both man and demon lay dying. Smiling, he spoke of his techniques, his discovers, each word weaker than the last, until his eyes fluttered shut. This time the village listened, and the next Jiu that came against them found warriors ready.

Humanity had learned how to fight back, and slowly, decades and centuries, towns began to come back. After 300 years, his once scarce camp has become the proud capitol of the Lands of Wu, Yang, named in his honor.

Those who slay the Jiu became known as the Xian, the Immortals. In honor of Sun Yang, a tatoo of a sun was always worn by those who had graduated. Three schools emerged from three philosophies of thought:

School of Blades: The orignal school, the school of the blade found that Sun Yang was correct, carving blood runes into weapons would give it various powers. Their philosophy is tradition, the first man to kill a Jiu used a blade, so in honor of him, they master their weapons

School of Charms: The next school noticed that such blood runes granted power upon whatever they were embedded in, so long as they were activated by drinking blood. The school of the Charms would embed the runes into various patterns like magic, expending a charm to deal massive damage quickly. Using paper tags became popular. Their philosophy is that it is by the magic of the Jiu that one can kill one, not a man, not a blade, so they forsake any attempt at other skill, focusing on that magic.

School of the Body: The final school observed that if anything could be embued with magic, why not one's body? Forsaking all weapons, they tattood their entire body with the runes, their fists rending the Jiu with discipline and training. Their philosophy is that blood on the ground does nothing, it is the man who uses who is strong, so they will strengthen that man.

No matter the school though, a few facts began to manifest:

* The Blood of the Jiu is needed for any school to be effective, ingesting it before a battle is absolutely necessary.

* There are 5 elements that the blood of the Jiu manifests as, 5 powers that can be used. Each Xian tends to align to one of the five: Water(Any flows, including air, and tempests), Wood(Life and healing), Fire(energy), Steel(weapons, creation), and Earth (manipulating the ground). They have an order of weaknesses.

* The blood of the Jiu corrupts whatever Xian ingests it, there are four stages to this. The further down one goes, the more violent they become. Initiation, the first stage, Indulgence, the second stage, Madness, the third stage, and Despair, the fourth stage. Anyone who reaches Despair becomes as bad as a Jiu, attacking all around them. Ingesting more blood can power one up more, but might progress a stage. The timing of progression almost seems random to some, others have attributed it to emotions.

CS Skeleton

Code:
[CENTER][B]~[U](Name & Moniker)[/U]~[/B]
[img][/img]
[blockquote=(name)](Something you would say)[/blockquote]
[table]
[td]
(School: Blade, Body, Charm)
[/td]
[td]
(Element & Sub element)
[/td]
[td]
引发
Initiation
1/4
(This will go up in RP. You don't want it to go up.)
[/td]
[/table]
[B]Age[/B]:
[B]Personality:[/B] (In a paragraph or two, what is your character like?)

[B]History: [/B] (Three paragraphs of how you grew up)
-------------------------------------------------

~Stats~

-------------
DELETE THIS SECTION

* Strength - How strong you are, how much a hit can you take. Jiu blood enhances this, but even without it you'll be enhanced naturally.
* Agility - How fast you are, how fast you can react, and general flexibility. Jiu blood enhances this, but even without it you'll be enhanced naturally.
* Blood - How potent is adjusting Jiu Blood for you? Basically how strong are your techniques when you use Jiu Blood. You get 2 techniques at the start using your element, and this is the power source behind them.
* Runes - How complicated can you make your techniques. This is the other half of casting. While any Xian can just use their element, it takes a master to fold it and increase what it can do, this also lets you get away with less blood for your techniques.  If this is low, expect it to be just a big blast of whatever. If this is high, it becomes potent and complicated.
* Sanity - Drinking Jiu blood is hard on your mental state, this represents how well you can handle it, how much you can drink, and how long you can stay in a fight under its stress. Its basically your stamina. Abusing your powers with low insanity causes you to progress through the states faster. (Initiation -> Indulgence -> Madness -> Despair)
----------------
[table]
[tr]
[td]Strength[/td]
[td]Agility[/td]
[td]Blood[/td]
[td]Runes[/td]
[td]Sanity[/td]
[td]Total[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td](1-10)[/td]
[td](1-10)[/td]
[td](1-10)[/td]
[td](1-10)[/td]
[td](1-10)[/td]
[td]25[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

~Battle~
[B]Weapon:[/B] (If Blade, what weapon do you use? What's special about it? How do you use it?)
[B]Catalyst:[/b] (If Charm, what do you use to cast your spells? It should be a one time use item with a rune written in Jiu blood on it. Paper/nuts/arrows, doesn't matter, just what is it? How do you deliver it to a Jiu)
[B]Fighting Style:[/B] (If Body, how do you fight? What are you get at, how do you get close to a JIu to deal damage?)
[B]Element:[/B] (Description of how you use your element, and a description of your subelement)
[spoiler=Techniques]
Technique 1 - (description)

Technique 2 - (You only get 2 techniques at start)
[/spoiler][/CENTER]

Example Sheet:
~Wan Shi, the Bull~
1565498608541.png
Fastest way forward is straight, right? What are we waiting for?
Wan Shi
刀 School of the Blade 火 Fire Element (Thunder) 引发 Initiation 1/4
Personality: Wan Shi can be summed up in two words: Simple and Straight forward. Its almost admirable how little thought he puts into his life. People have gotten hurt far too often overthinking a problem. If Wan Shi says he'll do it, it might as well be already done. His word being law makes him very predictable... but also makes him extremely stubborn. He once told his child hood friend he could punch a tree down. A broken wrist later he technically succeeded, though it on the second sproutling he'd chosen. The big oak proved far too muh a challenge.

Still, his stubborness is what drives him forward in the first place, and has been almost more of a problem for any Jiu he's run into than his allies, for the man won't stop. His teacher told him if he doesn't slow down, he'll reach Despair in no time. Wan Shi just shrugged, and asked if he wanted him to fight or not.

History: Born in the forest town of Qushu, Wan Shi was the son of a Xian. His father had hunted demon since childhood, and Wan Shi admired him from the bottom of his heart. It broke his heart when his father didn't come back from a mission. Wan Shi didn't wait to enroll in the same school as his father, the School of the Blade. He got as far as admission, his physical aptitude excelling to the point where even the rich in the town couldn't buy their way past Shi. But that's where his good luck ended. His family was poor without his father, and his father's blade had been lost in that last mission. It didn't stop Shi though, who picked up a large oaken club, and asked if that was good enough of a weapon. His teacher laughed, it was a solution, though few dared sully the Blood Runes of the Jiu on a mere stick, it was a first for him.

Agreeing to use that as a weapon, he got past the next test of admissions, with many glares of disgust and few friends. His would be teacher told him to follow him with a smile on his face. "Now, I don't preach favoritism, but... how would you like a real club? Its embarrassing to have a student use a mere stick." Shi was brought to the blacksmiths.

His teacher made the mistake of asking him how large he wanted it. Shi wanted to crush the largest Jiu with it he could... and didn't really stop til the blacksmith had run out of iron. A solid sheet weighing as much as Shi did, he struggled to carry it, but refused to give up.

The final test involved ingesting Jiu blood for the first time, which would turn them into a Xian... if they could keep their sanity. The first taste sent Shi mad, power and madness filling him, able to lift his club with ease, it took everything he had to calm down, his body strengthening to the taste. Able to calm himself, he found others that were unable to, and for the first time, Shi hesitated. Well, until he was stabbed by a less stable entree. Slapping him back with his club, the raging Xian now flew through the wall, twitching on the ground, left barely alive.

Since then, Wan Shi has taken pride in his new role as a Xian, and decided to travel to try and fight the Jiu in other villages.
-------------------------------------------------

~Stats~
StrengthAgilityBloodRunesSanityTotal

~Battle~
Weapon: Club that weighs nearly as much as Shi does. It is made of iron, and covered in runes related to Leigong that tell a complicated story.
Element: Officially, Shi is under the Fire element. What his runes specialize in are the use of Thunder, using large shockwaves to compliment his clubs massive weight.
Leigong's Mace - Drinking Jiu Blood, the runes across the club began to spark and crackle, dispersing two seconds later in a massive shockwave that's comparable to a grenade going off. Its generally combined with a club strike to reinforce its strike. However, it causes the club to vibrate and hurt Shi's arms, so he can only use it two times in a fight.

Leigong's Drum - Jumping to strike Shi's club into the ground, a deafening rush of thunder is loosed, deafening anyone within hearing of Shi. The vibration it lets loose shakes all those touched, possibly stunning them for a moment, though it also stuns Shi with every use, making it a poor move against those stronger than him.

Last edited:
[Extra Blank space]

RP's under construction for a day or two while I fill out everything for OOC and lore. Feel free to ask questions.

Oh, and we will be using discord, heads up.

Last edited:
Question... I have a lots of them...
Gameplay/Rules wise:
- Can a Xian warrior learn/use more than one school ? Or more than one elemental ? If yes, what's the penalty ?
- I intend to use light as an element for my character, is that allowed ? According to your description it should belong to Water
- How many character can a player create ?

Plot/setting wise:
- I'd like to know more about the world stage of the rp at the point it start. What is the status of the nation at the moment ? Are we still fighting a hard, tough war with the Jin ?
- What is the Xian warriors position in society ? How are they viewed by the people ?
- What about training new Xian, how is it organized ? Is Xian training only organized and managed by the government ?
- What about Jin's blood ? How approachable is it ? Is it government property ?
- The consumption of the blood seem to be a confusing issue. Firstly, the blood seem to be a major resource for the war, therefore it should be use carefully. Secondly, using the blood mess with the Xian mental stage. But the same time, training Xian would require the trainee to the blood quite often. How is this situation revolved ?

Question... I have a lots of them...
Gameplay/Rules wise:
- Can a Xian warrior learn/use more than one school ? Or more than one elemental ? If yes, what's the penalty ?
- I intend to use light as an element for my character, is that allowed ? According to your description it should belong to Water
- How many character can a player create ?

Plot/setting wise:
- I'd like to know more about the world stage of the rp at the point it start. What is the status of the nation at the moment ? Are we still fighting a hard, tough war with the Jin ?
- What is the Xian warriors position in society ? How are they viewed by the people ?
- What about training new Xian, how is it organized ? Is Xian training only organized and managed by the government ?
- What about Jin's blood ? How approachable is it ? Is it government property ?
- The consumption of the blood seem to be a confusing issue. Firstly, the blood seem to be a major resource for the war, therefore it should be use carefully. Secondly, using the blood mess with the Xian mental stage. But the same time, training Xian would require the trainee to the blood quite often. How is this situation revolved ?

* No to both. Jiu blood is detrimental to mental health, so the time it takes to learn a school's too long. Element, its what your warrior is in tune with. I'll be less picky about sub elements, but you belong to one element one theme.
* I'd say light would work as Fire honestly. Could get into a whole debate about flow vs energy for it, but I'd say closer to energy.
* I'd prefer one at start

-------------
*Still working on it in lore thread, that'll be a moment. Fighting Jiu is still a thing, and many small towns do tend to disappear from the map. Any town on the map has a sizable population, and therefore Xian. The nations enjoying a few towns effectively immune from the Jiu for the first time. But a small unnamed village in the forests? Yeah, it could be gone overnight.
* A Xian's both feared and respected. They are superhuman, able to keep evil at bay, and the only reason the world has been allowed to recover. At the same time, some see them as monsters because they fight evil with evil. It'll be a large part of the RP going forward. A lot of Xian feel they deserve more for what they do, others are happy to help.
* There are 3 major schools that teach across the land. They are a major part of the government, and have a huge influence per place, some holding trials, others being picky by birth. At the same time, it is very possible for a stray teacher, or retired Xian warrior (who are few) to decide to take on a pupil.
* A Jiu's blood is owned by any warrior who kills it, and often towns will collect a corpse to drain after a Xian's taken his share, which is in itself a special job. So little is needed to activate a xian's ability its not exactly scarce.
* Its a huge resource, and alot of schools need a fair amount tbh. There's a reason for people's progression starts at 1/4, not 0/4, they should have already been exposed due to training. Jiu's are massive, and still plentiful so far, so its not a scarce element. The fact it degrades one's mind also means there are plenty of people who aren't willing to touch it. Some Trainees just go insane near instantly at first sip. Most others, it takes years and years to fall into. THAT is the bigger reason it should be used carefully, its dangerous. There are a few things IC was going to delve into with this. There's a reason I use the name Xian on the warriors too.

Any other questions.

Almost, there is one last thing I'm still confused about. About Xians that go Despair. What do we do to a Xian gone Rogue/Traitor/gone Despair ? Do we kill them, or any way to neutralize/disable their abilities and then banish them ?

probably execute them claymore style.

:blowkiss: I may or may not mention among my favorite animes involve Claymore, Naruto, and Demon Slayer..... Definitely didn't steal any though. Totes innocent. (Sarcasm btw)

Yeah, Despair is executed. Ironic for an 'immortal', no? Fate of all Xian that get to that stage, that rely too much on Jiu blood.

Last edited:
:blowkiss: I may or may not mention among my favorite animes involve Claymore, Naruto, and Demon Slayer..... Definitely didn't steal any though. Totes innocent.

Yeah, Despair is executed. Ironic for an 'immortal', no? Fate of all Xian that get to that stage, that rely too much on Jiu blood.
Hmm, I see. Thanks for all the info. It should be enough for me to start brainstorming for a CS, I'll let you see it once I'll get the core idea down. Meanwhile I'll also be here for more update

When it comes to a characters progression.. are they a Xian the moment they are in the first stage? Would someone with 1/4 be considered the same as someone with 4/4? How does one progress through these?

When it comes to a characters progression.. are they a Xian the moment they are in the first stage? Would someone with 1/4 be considered the same as someone with 4/4? How does one progress through these?
Basic answer if someone is overusing their powers, I throw a progression at them. Its not a punishment, its part of the story. (And to be clear, I'm not a dick to kill off characters most of the time, but its a nice way to make some story). Most of the time the stages comes with experience, so yes, someone who's 4/4 generally will be a pain in the ass to kill.

I'm kinda tempted to steal the term 'cultivation' from someone in the Int check, but I really need to name this.... Oh well.

As you progress, lines appear across your body and one gets more and more savage. 4th stage is you will fight anyone, for anything.

Basic answer if someone is overusing their powers, I throw a progression at them. Its not a punishment, its part of the story. (And to be clear, I'm not a dick to kill off characters most of the time, but its a nice way to make some story). Most of the time the stages comes with experience, so yes, someone who's 4/4 generally will be a pain in the ass to kill.

I'm kinda tempted to steal the term 'cultivation' from someone in the Int check, but I really need to name this.... Oh well.

As you progress, lines appear across your body and one gets more and more savage. 4th stage is you will fight anyone, for anything.

Ah, feel free to use it. Cultivation is actually terms used in xianxia (something similar to wuxia) that is used by those who want to cultivate into an immortal or ascend into something akin to a deity. Though actually it’s meant to be a good thing such as those who work hard and etc. But there are several cases that those who are cultivating’s perception towards it becomes wrapped and their personalities become more hideous such as stealing or seeing killing as normal. Basically a very dog eat dog world therefore I think the term is still appropriate as the characters here would as they become more dangerous as they descend into madness.

Ganryu Ganryu btw when will the CS thread be up? I’m assuming since the OOC and the CS will be separate and everyone is starting to prepare their CS

Ganryu Ganryu btw when will the CS thread be up? I’m assuming since the OOC and the CS will be separate and everyone is starting to prepare their CS
I'll go throw it up now. There's no reason not to. 🤷 Please everyone PM me it. You'll get a discord invite when its accepted.

So we’ll PM our CS to you first and when we are accepted, we’ll get an invite to discord and post the final sheet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back