• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Realms of Hymgaard (Science Fantasy D&D-ish)

MythyDW

Five Thousand Club
Long ago, Hymgaard was a single planet, filled with mortal races and watched over by the Aelari, the gods. When the Swarm invaded, mortals and Aelari stood side by side and fought the enemy with their technology and their magic. The war was won, but at heavy cost. Hymgaard was shattered into many floating continents, islands that were held in orbit by the power of the Aelari.

Many generations have passed since then. The realms, as the continents are called, have been connected through magitech gates, allowing travel between them. The Aelari have maintained the connections between them and the mortals, but the pantheon - their leaders - foresee a threat greater than the swarm. They are preparing for another war.

As for the mortals, they have grown used to this new life. Many live as they would have before the sundering, but there are also those who take it upon themselves to delve deep into the unexplored of the Realms, to map the unknown. To travel between them and rid the realms of bandits, of rogues, of swarm remnants and monsters.

These mortals, adventurers they are called, are the stuff of dreams to many young people. The legends that are told never fail to inspire the next generation. However, many adventurers fall in battle... few are those who live to enjoy their legend.

This story I am about to tell you is about a group of those. Living legends, and how they came to be...

-----

Hey there! Call me Mythy! As you can see from the small prose above, I have a science-fantasy idea that I would like to share with you. It would be something of a D&D-type adventure party in a science fantasy world (dice will likely not be used unless people want something light). That is, retracting swords and shields, laser bows, and magitech foci are among the tools that can be used.

We would start as aspiring adventurers and follow them down their path towards legends. From simple bandit-clears to more intense and realm-threatening epic quests, we would do it all!

If you're interested, please leave a post! And feel free to chat or ask questions!

----

THREAD FOR JOIN REQUESTS HERE!

Last edited:
So how far do we go with the "magic-technology" bit? Are wizards just gadget gurus with a widget for every spell? Are rogues wearing stealth suits? Clerics commanding the nanobot swarms created by the god AIs to reconstruct the wounded?

So how far do we go with the "magic-technology" bit? Are wizards just gadget gurus with a widget for every spell? Are rogues wearing stealth suits? Clerics commanding the nanobot swarms created by the god AIs to reconstruct the wounded?

Spellcasters, like wizard and sorcerer-types still actually cast magical spells. They don't use components (nor verbal, but somatic is still needed) - instead they use a magitech focus. Foci are essentially like a wand, staff, orb, etc but more tech-y. Like an example would be the Cryromancer's weapon in Skyforge.

Magitech is a mix between actual technology and magic. The essence of it is that there is a housing, like armor or weapon, and then a magic source that gets drained during use and absorbs ambient magic to recharge.

Cleric and Paladin-types ("holy" casters) are similar to arcane casters, but they channel the energy of a patron Aelari through them and out through their device. This can be either in the form of healing/harming energy forms, or engulfing a blade in blazing energy, etc.

Does that help some?

What all races are there? Do we have a little bit of creative freedom there? Regardless I’m just interested :>

What all races are there? Do we have a little bit of creative freedom there? Regardless I’m just interested :>
Yeah, you have some freedom. My thought for the world is it was larger than Earth and had lots of landmasses so there would be plenty of room. There's defs humans and at least analogues of things like elves, dragonborns, etc.

Your world concept reminded me of a Wikipedia article that might be worth a read, if you like to think scientifically as I sometimes do. Superhabitable planet - Wikipedia
I don't think as scientific as you seem to, but I can give it a look later!

I should have said this before, but I'll be using Discord for OOC purposes. Characters and the IC thread will be hosted on RPN, but I haven't had much luck with splitting OOCs.
That said...

RikuXIII RikuXIII Windjammer Windjammer Wicker Wicker nohbdy nohbdy Humble1 Humble1 (and Blemmigan Blemmigan if you were interested)

Go here for the Discord link! (The character sheet is not made yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back