• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Pioneering Roommates

Matthew's eyes widened and his jaw draw dropped a bit as he both read the announcement and watched the video. Josh... Was the first thought that came to his mind. Turning he looked back in the direction of their dorm before he started back towards the dorm. Shit shit shit. He didn't even get to his first midterm, but this was a blessing in disguise. Because then he would be further away from getting to Josh.

Once he got to the dorm he saw that Josh was there. Closing the door at the same time he dropped his bag, Matthew went to Josh and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend. He didn't need to say anything to let Josh know that he was there for him. At least he hoped he didn't need to say anything. He wouldn't even know what to say. "Are you ok?" He asked, it was the only think that he could muster to say instead of staying silent.

He pulled away, just enough to look at Josh and placed a hand on his cheek, lightly rubbing it with his thumb. "What ever happens... I'll still be with you. Okay?"

Josh had reached Selby Hall and opened the double doors of the dorm's front entrance. The atmosphere was eerily mundane as if the world hadn't turned upside down. Out of habit, Josh walked left and entered the doors that led to the main recreation room. Big blunder. The room was as packed as Time’s Square on New Year’s Eve. Everyone's eyes were glued to the extremely large TV screen. What channel were they watching? It mattered not since all the news stations on Earth were providing round the clock coverage on this event which would, in time, becomes one of those “where were you when you heard” moments in time.

Josh scurried across the crowded room where the denizens ignored his presence since they were so engrossed in the broadcast. He entered the doors on the other side which would lead to the rooms. Duncan Flynn was the first person to speak with him after the existence of the werewolves was revealed and he appeared giddy as if he had just won the lottery. He declared, "Werewolves Josh! Real werewolves! I thought it was some type of publicity stunt at first, but it is so amazingly real. I wonder how many of them are out there. HI wonder if I've met any. Have I met any? I really want to see one transform really soon. Josh? Joshua? Where are you going? You've not said anything."

Uncharacteristically, Josh hadn't stopped to talk and kept walking. In fact, he was ignoring his friend. Duncan had to follow so he could continue to speak. Josh then sharply turned and swore at him in Japanese before telling his friend to leave him alone. Chest heaving and back in English, "Sorry. I’m not in the mood to talk right now. Please. We’ll talk later. Okay?” Duncan remained behind standing in the middle of the hallway. Confused. Disappointed. Hurt.

Josh’s mind was a mess and he continued walking in a daze. Duncan and Caleb were just two of a handful here that he would readily call friends. Of even a smaller group here, they would be among the first after Matthew who would learn the truth about his true nature. Before then, he was obligated to tell his relatives and then his older friends for they were ahead in the line. Before then, there was something he needed first.

Josh reached for his keys and unlocked the door. He stepped inside and there was no Matthew. He walked forward and absentmindedly dropped his backpack just inside the door. Another uncharacteristic action because it doesn't make sense to clutter the doorway. His emotions were all in a jumble: happiness, anger, fear.

The door opened again and there was Matthew no more than a couple minutes after him. Josh accepted Matthew's arms around him and he shakily begs, "Hold me. Just hold me.” He leans the side of his head against Matthew’s chest and begins to cry. For moments that seemed like hours, he wept.

Josh’s sobs lessened and lessened until he was a bit more coherent. He hadn't fully heard what Matthew had said and simply took his boyfriend's hands and clasped them before kissing them, "Thank you. You wonderful sweet man. Thank you." He wipes the tears from his eyes, "Sorry for being stupid and carrying on like that. I found out after I got out of class. My phone was acting crazy while I was in the middle of my exam. I thought that it they were just birthday greetings. As soon as I got out, I saw all the texts and voicemails my folks sent my way. "

Josh plops himself on his bed and looked at the ceiling, “I met up with Duncan on the way here. He was so eager to talk about the werewolves because he's totally into fantasy stuff and I gave him the cold shoulder. He was so eager to talk and I yelled at him Matthew. I cussed at him." He presses his hands to his face with lamentful regret, "I'm such a jerk."

Last edited:
In the dorm, Matthew wiped his residual tears away and wrapped his arms around him again and held him tightly. "Hey, hey... it's ok." He said as he kissed Josh's neck in comfort. Moving with Josh to his bed, he sat down next to the werewolf and just listened. "You're not a jerk. You were... are in shock." He leaned over Josh a bit, "I'm sure Duncan will forgive you. You guys are friends. And sometimes you just have to focus on you for a change." He said with a sigh. "I'm sure once all of this blows over, everything will be fine. And you don't even have to come out. I'll be here for you, whatever you decide. Okay?" He wasn't sure what he spoke was comforting, but he was trying. He could never know how Josh was feeling since he wasn't a werewolf. After a while, Matthew just laid down next to Josh on the bed and wrapped his arms around him, sometimes silence and just being there was the best comfort.

Suddenly, Matthew's phone went off. He separated from his boyfriend to grab it and come back to Josh. Looking at his phone, his sister and brother had texted him since his parents never text. He read the texts and suddenly felt sick. He stayed silent not wanting to worry Josh any more than he already was. He can't be out... did he escape? He had to have. He's opportunistic. Probably with the up roar of Werewolves now being public, he used that to his advantage. Letting out a shuddered breath, Matthew put his phone away, This is about Josh right now... I can deal with that later. Turning back to Josh, Matthew held onto him again and kissed his shoulder.

Just don't show up here... I don't know what I will do.

Josh's eyes peaked out from beneath his fingers as his hands slid down and rested in his lap before they embraced Matthew, "You are my shining star and I am your moon." Matthew's right of course. I am in shock. I always knew that others were out there, but to reveal themselves on my birthday? I'm being stupid to think they planned to announce themselves on my day. To them, it's just a Tuesday.

Josh's cell rang nearby and he didn't need to look at the screen to know it was Brett because is was playing the Sunrise fanfare from Also sprach Zarathustra, the same used in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Josh attempted a smile, "Hello." Brett with worry, "Josh? I wanted to call you to wish you a Happy Birthday, but I felt in my heart that my bro was feeling low. What’s wrong?” His best friend's concern was obvious because he had used Josh's Japanese name exclusively ever since he had learned to pronounce it all the way back when they were the second grade.

Josh quietly replied, “Today’s news. It blindsided me.” Brett replied, “Me to. Dad’s campaign headquarters have been receiving several calls from concerned constituents. Harrumph! More like bigoted constituents. You would not believe some the nasty calls that have come in. Some voters are saying if he won’t condemn werewolves, he won’t be getting their vote. Well, fuck them! Pops made it clear right away to his staff that if anyone in his campaign disagrees with his position, he expects their resignations by the end of the day. He acknowledged that he is not dismissing that they kept their existence for all these centuries a secret. He said that they shouldn't be condemned for it. He said that he looks forward to learning more about them and to work with the Houston pack to help keep our city awesome. I agree and I can understand why they kept the truth hidden all these years. I don't mind if they can turn into wolves."

This is the moment of truth. For years I’ve wanted to tell my best buddy what I am. Here goes. Josh finally told him, “I’m one of them. I am a werewolf.” For thirty minutes, the two friends spoke. Rather, Josh spoke and Brett listened. He spoke of the loneliness of being the only werewolf among humans, his parents having no guide and blinding raising him as they though best, He spoke of the shame of never being able to tell anyone about himself, not even to best buddy Brett. Josh asked, “Can you ever forgive me for not telling you?” Brett seemed annoyed, “Forgive you? Why?” Josh felt miserable. I thought he understood. Brett clarified immediately, “I am not going to forgive you because you have nothing to apologize for. Joshua, you have done nothing wrong. Have you told your boyfriend yet?”

Josh looks at Matthew and then back at the phone, “He’s known about me for over a month. Sorry for not telling you before him.” Brett sighed, “Again, no need to apologize bro. Matt's your boyfriend. I'm just the sideshow attraction.” A more upbeat voice, “So, have you told anyone else?” He replied, “I was going to call my other relatives, then Cyclone, then the other guys.” His buddy said, “I won’t keep you long then. Matt? Matt? Are you there?" Josh holds the front and turns on the speaker so they can both hear, "Matt? Can you do something for me? You take care of my bro. He’s going to need all your love and support over the next several days and who knows how long.” The call ends soon thereafter.

Josh looked at his watch. The timing was off to tell his relatives living in Japan right now. His plan was to tell Daisuke and then his other relatives on his father’s side. For now, he moved on to his stateside relatives. More conversations and more confessing. After his uncle and his aunt, he moved onto his teammates.

Trevor Bishop, known as Cyclone because of his interest in meteorology, is first. Ecstatic Trev blurts, “Hey J-Rock! Happy Birthday! The Archmage tells me that he had a blast with you and your family and that boyfriend of yours. Matthew sounds like a nice guy.” Josh felt a little better and says with a more hopeful tone, “Thanks.” Trev says, “So? What’s up?” Josh said, “It’s today’s news about werewolves.” His former teammate's attitude becomes sour, "Those creatures?" Josh is caught off guard, "I am not a creature." Trev's response is, "Tell me you're not one of those things. I can't believe it. Matthew's in love with a beast. He can do better." Josh held onto Matthew's hand to stabilize his emotions, "I am a werewolf and I thought you were my friend. If you're going to talk to me like that, I don't want to talk with you anymore." Josh hung up the phone.

Preston Donner, another former teammate, was more sympathetic. Sympathetic in his own classic boorish style. For someone who found it weird that a guy of Japanese descent wanted to play football and that same guy was gay and did not have ulterior naughty motives for wanting to be on the team, he was oddly accepting of this newly revealed nature. "Let's see now. You're Japanese, gay, and now you're a werewolf? Then again, you've always been a wolf. Right? I suppose if anyone attacks you for being what you are, you could just clamp down on their dumdum faces with your jaws and give them a good shake. I'm not going to bug you this time. You just curl up with that man you call boyfriend. What was his name? Mitchell?" Josh corrected, "Matthew." Preston said, "Anyhow, you let him cuddle your furry body. I bet he'd really like that. Honk honk Josh." Josh replied, "Honk honk Preston." The call then ended with Josh looking at Matthew with embarrassment.

"He yelled at you? Are we talking about the same Josh Nakayama?"

Caleb Cosgrove had returned to the room he shared with Duncan Flynn. Despite having different interests, they got along pretty well. Duncan's side of the room was decorated with all sorts of fantasy beings. Caleb's was decked out with his favorite swimming athletes and marine animals. The foundation of their friendship was Caleb's replica poster of Creature from the Black Lagoon. Duncan couldn't stop talking about the werewolves and was really eager to meet one. "Josh had mentioned that his favorite type of horror movies were about werewolves so I wanted to talk with him and shouted at me in Japanese and stormed off."

Trevor couldn't believe it and Duncan replied, "The very same. I've never seen him so livid before. I thought he was going to bite my off." Caleb was stunned, "That doesn't sound like our Josh. I'm going to go to his room to try to see if there's anything I can do for him. No one should be down on their birthday." The two of them leave their room.

Josh said, "Preston's...he is...Preston is Preston." He struggled to find suitable words. His mind drifted back to the friend he had dismissed, "I'll make it up to Duncan. In a moment of clarity, I had thought about telling him and Caleb about me."

Knock, knock. A voice on the other side. Caleb's muffled voice, "Josh? Are you there?" Duncan now, "We are your friends and we're worried about you. Can we come in?" Josh stands up and walks to the door to let them inside.

Matt? Matt? Are you there?

Matthew's focus changed from his thoughts to the person on the phone. "Yeah. I'm here." He said as Brett started talking again. This made Matthew smile a bit. He really cares for him. "You don't have to ask. I'll support him anyway I can." He said before the call ended. Matthew continued to sit there next to Josh as he made his calls. However, the call with Trevor, he wasn't a violent person, Matthew hated that above all else and tried to avoid it, but he wanted to jump through the phone and kick Trevor's ass for making his boyfriend feel miserable. Matthew pulled his hand away from Josh and wrapped his arms around the other to offer better support as he placed a soft kiss to his neck to try and comfort him. He wasn't even sure if he was doing anything.

His phone started ringing, but Matthew ignored it thinking it was just his family until his ringtone changed and caused him to freeze. This was also the time when Josh's other friends knocked on the door also causing him to jump slightly. Matthew looked at his phone, God please dont be what I think it is.. He picked his phone up and answered it. "Hello?" his voice was strained as he slowly got up from the bed.

"Mattie~"

Colored drained from his face as he heard that familiar voice as the door was opened by Josh. He knew it looked bad and it looked as if he was afraid, which he was, but he wasn't afraid of Josh. He was afraid of the voice on the other line. He looked at Josh's friends before turning his back to them. "I'm hanging up."

"I wouldn't do that~ You have any idea how much I've missed you? This nice man was kind enough to give me his phone. Isn't that right?" There was no answer from anyone on the other line because the lawyer was already dead. "Anyway..." Matthew walked into the bathroom and closed the door, he was too focused on the person on the other line to notice much of anything else. "I was hoping we could reconnect--"

"How did you get out?" Matthew said interrupting the person on the other line.

Jason laughed, "Haven't you heard? With werewolves now out and about... it was easy to slip passed. Everyone so focused on the news and all. Now. Be a good boy and tell me where you are? I've missed you."

Matthew let out a shuddered breath as he slid down against the door and sat on the floor. He rubbed at his chest feeling sharp phantom pains. "N-no.." He managed to say before he hung up his phone. He closed his eyes as his breath picked up and panic settling in. It had been a while since he had a panic attack, but this one felt different. He clutched at his chest as it got harder and harder to breath. He can't be, he can't. It's not possible! It's not fucking possible!! How am I going to tell Josh? He's dealing with his own shit right now. His entire species was just outed. I have to be there for him, his stuff is more important... Come on... BREATH!!

It took a few minutes, but Matthew was able to get his breathing under control, albeit forcing himself through it as he slowly stood up and leaned against the sink. This was worse than when Josh first told him he was a werewolf. How the hell he was able to look passed that and not this. Plain and simple. Jason scared the shit out of him.

Looking at his phone, Matthew bit lip before he chucked it into the toilet. He'd have to get a new phone and number. Taking a deep breath, Matthew turned the sink on and splashed his face with water before drying it and turning the sink off. Staying in there for another minute or two, Matthew finally left the bathroom.

Josh opened the door and each of his friends both wanted to be the first to enter, it was like a Three Stooges routine. They had a game of rock paper scissors to determine who was going to first. As his friends entered, there was a traffic jam at the entry way between Matthew and his friends. He saw Matthew retreat to the bathroom to talk to someone privately.

Caleb said, "We wanted to see how you were doing. Duncan here says you yelled at him." Josh was ashamed, "I did and I'm very sorry. I'm under a lot of stress." He welcomed his friends inside and they settled themselves on Josh's bed. Caleb and Duncan wore faces of concern. Josh looked at them and weakly smiled, "Thank you for checking up on me. It means a lot to me. Today's news about the other werewolves hit me like a punch to the gut." Caleb grinned, "Tell me about it. Duncan was practically bouncing off the walls but he quieted down when he told me that you were in trouble and we just had to come right away." His roommate had successfully caught on to Josh's inflection.

Duncan was on the edge of his seat and asked, "Are you a werewolf Josh?" The man himself replied, "One of many as I found out today." Duncan was almost doing a good job in concealing his excitement. "Please? May I see you change?" Caleb snorted, "Don't you think that it's kinda personal? I'm sure it's probably rude to ask someone if they are a werewolf and even more to ask them to shift."

Josh shrugged his shoulders, "Probably but you two are my friends and I need to make it up for being standoffish." He went to his dresser to take out his customized shorts, those with the hole in the back for his tail. He showed them off and said, "Maybe some clothing company or all will start making bottoms suitable for those that want to be tailed. I hope so because I've had these for a few years now and I don't have extras. They are in good condition because I rarely wear them. That's going to change now now the secret's out." He surprised himself because he hadn't given much though about going out among the public showing any aspect of the wolf. Maybe one day soon, but not today. Maybe just one day a week, like Wednesday, but not tomorrow. He gave them no warning that he was fulfilling the request.

Full of mystified joy, Duncan saw Josh's human form being discarded in favor of the werewolf. Caleb tried not to react as if he had seen the transformation in person lots of times because he was telling himself that this was something that he had to get used to and the sooner, the better. They heard every movement of bone and sinew as human tissues surrendered to their lupine counterparts. Imagine the sound of a hundred people cracking their knuckles all at once. Caleb asked, "Josh? Doesn't that hurt?" The half-changed man held up to ask that they wait since his mouth was preoccupied with stretching out into a snout as black fur grew all over his body. "That felt good and nope. It doesn't hurt."

Duncan beheld the Japanese werewolf standing in front of him. The being was humanoid and furry with a wolf's head as if he was a video game or cartoon character come to life. He stood up from the bed and approached Josh, "I've been waiting my whole life to meet a werewolf." He then grinned as Josh and Caleb returned the grin. It was a figure of speech because werewolves were unknown to the public until today. He shook Josh's hand and looked at it. The hand was a strange amalgamation of the human and the wolf. Human sized and shaped, but with padded palms and fingers ending with claws. Even if he hadn't seen the transformation, he knew that he would be able to recognize Josh in wolf guise.

Josh sat down at his desk and was asked if he had gone further to full wolf. He answered, "I have a few times, mostly at home though. It has its drawbacks like being without thumbs and being naked." His phone buzzed and he grabbed it. He tapped on the screen and giggled. He didn't mean to, but reading the headline brought on an honest chuckle. They asked him about it and Josh said, "Guess who came out of the cave?" His friends had no idea and he answered, "Yu."

As Matthew returned, Caleb and Duncan looked at each other and pointed at themselves in confusion. "Yu Watanabe from Nova Dream. This isn't Who's On First." Josh sat down and withdrew most of his wolf features until he looked mostly human with just his wolf-shaped ears, gold-hued eyes, and pronounced cuspids combo to express his true nature. Relatably human, but noticably feral. "I'm on their fan club's distribution list for news. He shows the video to the three and translates since there are no subtitles. It was similar to the Pastukhov video, but this one is more personal. Yu is surrounded by his bandmates and says that he has shared incredible news with them and he now wants to share that same news with his fans. He shifts and announces that he's a werewolf also.

Josh sighs as he closes the video, "I didn't mean to giggle, but I just find it fascinating that I met him in person when they played at a concert in Dallas. I had no idea that I had been talking to another wolf that entire time, even though it was brief."

Josh's phone rang and he knew it was Lance calling because it was playing Magic Carpet Ride by the band Steppenwolf. "It's Lance. I should take this opportunity to tell him about me." He appears optimistic, a return to the usual Josh, until he answers and his face becomes still. The voice on the other end is his gym buddy's but it is clear to all that the voice appears overwhelmed. He is babbling at lightspeed about phones ringing off the hook. Worried Josh, "Lance? Lance?"

Last edited:
Coming out of the bathroom, Matthew saw Josh retract some of his wolf features. He resisted the urge to rub at the scar on his chest not wanting to worry Josh and just be there to support him. Get it together, Matt. Moving to sit down on his bed, he folded his legs. He was trying hard not to show that he was still currently having a bit of a panic attack. That'd be embarrassing, when the focus should be on Josh. Though if I don't speak, they might think that I'm against Josh being a werewolf. I'm not. I'm not against it.

The phone ringing was he saving grace as everyone's attention was on the phone and still on Joshua. Knitting his brows together, "Lance, ok?" He asked, he could tell of the guy on the other line was just babbling out of shock or having a panic attack like him, but for other reasons of course. He pulled his knee up to his chest and rested his arm on his knee followed by his chest. "If you need to, you can go to him and see what's wrong." The blonde said. It may even have sounded like an underlining, 'get out'. But that was far from what he was saying. He liked Lance ok, but he couldn't help but feel uneasy around the guy when he was with Josh. Maybe it was because Matthew felt like Lance was always trying to take Josh from him, could be, could be not. Maybe Matthew was just being paranoid.

They have more in common than me and Josh. Josh is a sports guy, he likes anime, he goes to church, to the gym, he likes sweets and healthy food. Whereas me, I don't do sports, I've never really watches anime, I don't go to the gym, or church. I like sweets, art, I'm gay. And I now have my psychotic ex-boyfriend out there loose who will probably try to kill me. Matthew suppressed a shudder at the thought. He's already killed someone... who will be next?

Josh tried to keep up. He honestly did. He had to keep it on speaker phone to try to not lose his mind. He tried to ask Lance to slow down, but it was futile. He finally lost it and whistled, "Lance! Whoa! I can't understand if you talk like that!" The others might be shocked because an irritated Josh is a rarity.

There was a pause and Lance breathed deeply to help restore his composure, "Sorry. Let me to go the office. Dad's due back in a few hours. I think he'll make it in time for tonight's meeting. If not, Mr. Luna will conduct instead. He's doing what he can with all these calls coming in, but it's frustrating for both my family and our customers. Pack business is mixing with business business. I'm getting all the residual calls on my cell because I'm a Leitner. Hell, Carter's even getting questions from wolves his age." The sound of a door closing, "It's the Code Josh. I never thought it would ever be repealed. Dad said it was inevitable, but we didn't think it'd happen for another generation. Here we are though. He has voted to repeal the Code ever since being chosen as one of America's delegates to the Gathering, but he's always been in the minority. Every five years when the Gathering met, it was no. Always no. Well, this time they said yes. They said it was time that wolfkin should disclose their existence to humanity. How did your delegate vote? Josh? Josh? Are you there?"

All the color had drained from Josh's face for the second time today and then he ashamedly proclaimed, "I'm such a fool." Another pause from Lance who then asked, "I don't understand." Josh said, "You're a werewolf, right?" He had never spoken with another of his kind before and yet this was the only logical conclusion. Lance sincerely said, "I thought you knew. We can sniff each other out." Josh tried to be believable, "I did but I just thought your scent was just your own." It was a lame reason and he knew it. I knew he didn't smell human. I was just deluding myself to keep thinking I was unique. I am now a voice in a chorus. Lance didn't call him out on the excuse and let Josh talk, "My parents are fully human and I've been in the dark my whole life. I never knowingly met another like me before."

Lance chose his words carefully, "I'm the one who's a fool. I thought that you thought we were traditionalists in the Sutter Pack and that's why you wanted to keep our friendship based on human interactions. We're not traditionalists by the way. Many small-town packs are though and in many, families stay put in the same town for generations. Our pack is mostly traditional in that aspect. In fact, my ancestor Reinhardt Leitner founded the Sutter Pack and we’ve been here ever since. Rolando and his family are among our newer members. Fair warning, traditionalists don’t care for strange wolves among them at pack meetings. They barely tolerate Gathering reps and they don't get into relationships with humans either. Ever. Speaking of which, have you told your boyfriend?"

Josh sat next to Matthew and wrapped his arm around his shoulders, "Yes. He's known for a few weeks now. We're still cuddlebuds over here." Lance sighed contently, "You're lucky that he's so understanding. Anyhow, I was calling because we're having our meeting tonight instead of our regular meeting time which is always the third Monday of the month. I know that this is sudden, and I can understand if you don’t want to go, but I’d like you to come."

Josh agreed that it was sudden, but the invitation to meet others of his kind was irresistible after being alone all his life, but there was his boyfriend to consider. He asked, “What about Matthew?” Lance answered dejectedly, “It’s not a good idea to bring him. He’s a great guy and we have had a few mixed wolf/human couples every now and then over the years, none now at this time, but our community is on edge Josh. The appearance of a strange wolf at the meeting would be understandable under the circumstances since Sutter’s a college town. A strange human, even one with that same wolf, would be too much. I don’t want someone to overreact, and something happen to him. Sorry, but this is going to be a wolf only meeting. Maybe later and in a smaller group setting like dinner at my parents’ house. It’d be just you two, myself, my parents, and my brothers. Maybe Rolando if he's off shift as an EMT. That is if Matthew’s open to being invited over for dinner by a bunch of wolves. Not to worry, human has been off the menu for centuries even before Peter Stumpp.” Lance shuddered when he said that name. It was a vile name and was the equal to those of the wickedest people that history had ever witnessed. "Let me do this. I’ll text you the time and directions to the meeting spot. I’ll let our enforcers know that I’ve invited you so that they won’t hassle you. They’ll listen to me since I’m the Alpha’s son. I'll let you go so you can have some time to think about it."

Josh asked since he knew the call was coming to an end, "Before you go, I have a question?" Lance said, "Sure. I'll try to answer any you have." Josh said, "I identify myself as American Japanese. How do I identify myself? Do I say werewolf or wolf or lyc..." Lance hissed immediately, "Do not say that L word! Either the first part or the whole word! It's a vulgar, hateful word. I'll cut you slack this one time since you didn't know, but say that to others of our kind and you'll get your ass kicked big time. I'm not talking about the human way either, although that might happen. I'm talking about full on wolf fight with fangs and claws. We say werewolf, but most of the time we say wolf. You can say garou if you want to be more formal. Side note, we use the word wolfling when we talk about the animal. The Gathering's creating their website and including a primer with facts about us like we can't infect people with werewolfism and, as you have learned, what words are safe to use. It'll take time, but I'd like to think that eventually people will think of us when they talk of wolves, not the animals. I gotta go. Someone has to captain the ship besides Mom. We still have a business to run." Josh said, "See you out there." The phone call ends and he looks at Matthew and then his friends.

Caleb and Duncan looked at each other and stood up. Caleb said, "Well. We ought to get going ourselves. You take care of yourselves and each other. Matt, if you want to hang with us tonight while Josh is at his pack meeting, just drop by. Room 196." Duncan added, "We'll catch you later. If you want to go out as your wolf self, just give us a buzz and we'll be part of your entourage." Caleb nodded and gave them the V peace sign before they exited to leave Josh and Matthew alone.

A couple minutes later, Josh's phone dings. He looks at the phone which provides the instructions to get to the meeting place which was in Fletcher State Park. No real surprise there. There was also a warning that the only people that he was to share the meeting's instructions with were his parents and Matthew. He sets the phone to the side and lets out a puff of air, "Well that went swell. Lance and his boyfriend Rolando were wolves all along just like me." He cradled Matthew and gave him a kiss on the cheek, "You are so right. I'm going to go to that meeting tonight."

Last edited:
As Josh talked on the phone, Matthew leaned against Josh enjoying the distraction from his own mind with the arm around him. He was pretty much silent while Josh talked on the phone. Once the phone call ended and Josh's friends got up to leave, Matthew looked at Caleb and Duncan. "I'll keep that in mind." he said and smiled, thankful for the offer knowing that they were just being friendly.

It was then just him and Josh, Matthew was still grateful for the distraction from his mind as he was held in Josh's arms. "You should." he said as he looked at Josh. "I think it'll be good for you to be with... people like you. You've been saying that you've been alone for a long time. Might be good for you to see how a real pack is." He hated to admit it, but with the relieve of werewolves to the world, he was afraid that Josh might drift away from him.

Wrapping his arms around Josh, "You know I'm here for you. I'll support you however I can." he said and kissed Josh's cheek. "What time is your meeting?"

Josh held onto Matthew as he leaned back against the bed and started to caress an ear, "Yes. It will be good even if it might be embarrassing for me. They are my people, but I've been raised human. Well, almost. If I ever take you home with me," Wink, wink "you'll see what my place looks like. We have three wooden fences in our back yard. One was already there before my parents moved in and was put up by Mr. Mancuso who lives to our left. Left, looking at our house. His house is between our family and Brett's. The fence to the right was put up by the company that owned that house because they had been trying to sell that property for the longest time and I guess that they thought they'd have a better shot. Well it did because it was sold about the same time I was born. Well, a growing wolf boy needs plenty of room for activity so my parents built the wooden fence along the back. I was able to gallivant in full wolf mode freely under my parents' careful watch. It was a thrill. Just running and running around on my paws. My parents would lay out stuff for me to stalk and pounce on. It was still some years before I got to tackle live prey." He continues to feel his boyfriend's ear and he looks at the ceiling in contemplation, "It was a wonderful sensation, a joyous occasion, when I caught my first animal. It was a beaver and I was about ten. I returned to the campfire wiping my mouth clean while Tosan was having a turkey club sandwich."

Josh blinked, "Time? Let's check that again." He gets his phone and scrolls through the directions, "As Uncle Kunio would say, 1900 hours. However, I'm going to leave early so I can get there in plenty of time. Thankfully, since it's at the Park, it's not like I have to leave right now. The lot I'm to park in is Lot C. It's the private parking lot and is only used when the other two lots are full and apparently when the Sutter Pack meets. Can't be too much different when Appleseed Park, that's my neighborhood, has its monthly civic club meetings. My parents and I have attended every meeting once I was old enough unless Mom's busy at the office in which case it's just Tosan and I."

Josh looks at his watch and the cogs turn in his brain, "It's about dinnertime. I'd like get something in me before tonight." The remaining lupine features receded and he scrambles to his feet, "Want to go now?" He goes to get his shoes and as he laces them up, "I'm thinking about putting on different clothes for the meeting. My jeans are okay, but I'll wear a tee instead of this polo shirt and my hiking shoes since I've never been there at night. Maybe my hoodie jacket." He leans against the wall near his bed and awaits Matthew's decision.

Matthew watched Josh and smiled a bit. He's excited. Getting up he walked over to Josh, placing his hands on the other's sides. "Whatever you decide to wear, I think you'll be accepted." He said before he leaned up and pressed his lips against Josh's. "So..." he began again once he pulled away, "Let's go get something to eat." With that said, Matthew moved away and grabbed his shoes and pulled them on. He grabbed his wallet and keys before taking Josh's hand. "And it's my treat."

He waited for Josh to get whatever he needed to get before pulling him out of the room. As they walked down the hallway, I need to get a new phone. "You excited?" he had to choose his words carefully since they were out of their room. They walked past a few people here and there all clustered together and whispering about the newest development of werewolves being revealed to the world.

"Can you believe it? Werewolves... actual werewolves! It's so scary."
"I think it's amazing! You think I can get one to bite me and turn into one?"
"Whatever... they're just regular people with... a furry problem."

There were many comments and opinions that Matthew heard, and he knew that Josh heard it all.

Josh's eyes dashed around his side of the room and was confident that he had everything he needed. Wallet in the left pocket and keys in his right pocket. He opened his mouth and brushed his tongue against his teeth to make sure that they here human and he then ran his fingers over his face to confirm that he appeared human. He realized that there might come a time when he stopped doing that. Showing his wolf side, in some aspect, would be as natural as one day wearing a tee one day and then a polo the next.

As they walked down the hall, "Yes, but I prefer to use the word eager." They passed the roaming students and his ears heard several of the comments. Josh tried his best to ignore the comments because he didn't want to react to some of the more nonsensical ones. Scary? I suppose, but anybody can be scary. Look at Brett. Sweet guy, but get on his bad side, and he can be the jock of your worst nightmares. Bite? They going to be surprised when they find out that we can bite them under the brightest full moon until they resemble slices of swiss cheese and they still won't become wolves. One is or one is not a wolf. Problem? Not really. Just takes a couple minutes to go from skin to fur and then back again.

They exited Selby Hall and as they turned the corner, Josh's phone began to ring.

So many miles away, in another state, emotions were vibrant. Brett Philippe McPherson was alone and was starting to get worried. Like many schools across the country, LSU had canceled classes for the rest of the day in response to the announcement about the existence of werewolves. He had a couple hours of free time before he headed off for team practice for their weekend game against the Sooners. He decided to take advantage of that time to call Ryota to wish him a happy birthday. If he had not had that time, the call would have been later in the day. To him, a text didn't cut it. For Ryota, calling was best. He returned to his room at Walston Hall, the one he shared with Malcolm Reese.

No Malcolm in just yet. He kicked off his shoes and reached for his phone. As he gripped it, a sense of worry filed his heart. It was his curse as a Lafayette because his mother’s lineage was filled with certified eccentrics and convicted witches. It was clear early on that he had inherited certain proclivities towards mysticism. Magic does not exist and yet he had a certain peculiar awareness that cropped up every now and then in the bloodline. It had been last exhibited in his mother's Great Aunt Gladys who passed away five years prior. The deck of tarot cards he owned used to be hers and he took great care of them just as well as he did. Knowing of the deck’s value as a family heirloom, he kept the deck at home. The deck he used had been bought at a specialty store called Hecate Today. He didn't look the sort to be in a place like this, but had a lively conversation with the purveyor who owned the establishment.

Brett dialed Ryota knowing that his best buddy was in some type of trouble. As soon as he heard Ryota's voice, he knew that his intuition had been right. He listened to him carefully and had called him Joshua for the first time in many years to how that he was deeply concerned. The conversation they had was profound as they talked about werewolves. He heard the emotion in Ryota's voice and his heart went out to him. He was surprised and was honestly a bit irritated when Ryota asked to be forgiven for keeping his wolf self a secret and then wanting forgiveness for telling his boyfriend before his best friend. There is nothing to apologize for. I would have done the same in his place. He has his Matthew Wolf and I have my Jocelyn Zhang. Since he knew that he could not be there for Ryota, he asked Matthew to be there instead. They make such a wonderful couple.

Brett looked at the time and worry entered him again. He wondered where Malcolm was. Classes had been canceled but he hadn’t seen or heard from his roommate. He sent a text message and Malcolm replied that he was out running errands. Sounded reasonable so he went off to team practice.

A few hours later, Brett came back after an intense practice and a good shower. Still no Malcolm however. He turned on his computer and began doing his homework for his Introduction to Programming and Computer Science course. Yet another example of why one shouldn't judge a book by its cover. He clearly showed a strong aptitude and interest in computer science and in mathematics. The assigned work wasn't presenting much of a challenge, but he still found it refreshing. As his fingers dashed across they keyboard, he smirked and softly chuckled. There were some, he recalled, who were slack-jawed when they found out about his computer and programming talent. His scholastic goal was to earn his Bachelor’s in Computer Science, work for McPherson Enterprises for a few years, and then decide if he also wanted to get a Bachelor’s in Cybersecurity.

Malcolm had returned and was looking very pensive, but Brett didn’t quite pick up on it because he was focused on his homework. His phone rang and he picked it up. He smiled when he saw that it was Trevor, but that smile cratered as his former teammate said all sorts of nasty things about Ryota. What was even more insidious was that he wanted Brett to agree. His eyes were wild with emotion and looked at Malcolm briefly before he took his phone and ran into the bathroom to attempt a more private conversation.

Brett gritted his teeth, “Keep in mind who you are speaking to and who you speak about. Ryo’s my best friend and I thought you were his friend too.” Trevor scathingly replied, “I’m not going to be friends with something unnatural. Not anymore. Some of the guys agreed with me but others chose to be stupid like Preston. Mouthy bastard as usual. He called me a pukeface for backstabbing Josh." Brett massaged the bridge of his nose. He would have hung up but the horror of what he was hearing paralyzed him from doing so, “You’re starting to mess with my zen.” Trevor continued to rant, “I don’t care. If you’re smart, you'll ditch Josh. A storm's coming and you will want to be on the winning team." Brett had enough.

“Fuck you!” exclaimed Brett, “I’m not going to betray Ryo because he’s a werewolf! He’s been my best friend since we were little kids! Toddlers! Werewolves aren't monsters! Being different doesn't equal unnatural! I don’t have time for your BS! He finally hung up the phone "Stupid trou du cul" and then placed it in his pocket. His chest heaved and he banged his fist against the door as tears rolled down his square face. He sobbed with anguished disappointment, “Damn you Trevor Donovan Bishop. Damn you.” His body shook with wretched rage. After all we’ve been through. He struggled to pull himself together and knew that his roommate had heard everything, but it couldn't be helped. He just wished that Malcolm would understand. He opened the door and came came face to face with a werewolf.

The werewolf's chosen form was furry human body with wolf head. He was slim-shouldered and had brown fur. Brett turned off the light and returned to his chair, disturbed. The wolf named Malcolm looked back at him, "I heard what you said in there. I've never seen you so upset."

For those first few weeks, all that had been known between the two was that one was Brett from Houston and the other was Malcolm from Little Rock. Even after his roommate opened up after he helped him score the Prospero role and their mutual interest in theater was revealed, their relationship remained neutral but cordial. There was still much they didn't know about each other. Regrettably, Brett's physique and jock persona had created a rift. Even after Brett had shown that he wasn't the bullying jock type, Malcolm had remained shy. Brett has respected his roommate's privacy but did keep an eye out for situations that would warrant direct interaction. He had also kept quiet about himself because thought it was the best way to preserve the mood. He sighed, “I played football in high school and I do here for the Tigers. A former teammate of mine named Trevor was ripping into my best friend Ryota. His name is Joshua, but all of us on the team used his middle name. Trevor was saying all sorts of horrible things about Ryo since he’s a wolf.” A frown and a look away.

Malcolm wasn't sure what to do and asked, "What's he like? This Ryota? I’d like to get to know him. I noticed your computer has a webcam.” Brett said, “I’ll ask him. He doesn’t know any other wolves. I think it will mean a lot to him.” Their eyes drift to the clock and they make plans to head to the cafeteria to make up on weeks of missed conversations. After Malcolm goes back to human form, the two exited their room and locked the door behind them.

Josh answered as he stood against a wall and held Matthew's hand, “Hi Tosan.” His dad asks, “How are you holding up?’ Josh replies, “Surprised, but getting better. I’m cautiously optimistic and I’ve learned a lot today.” His dad said, “Your mother and I have been talking about you coming home. We would like you to come home.” Do they mean to transfer to a local school for next semester? Josh replied, “I want to stay enrolled at Magin University. I would like to come home, but maybe for the weekend?” His dad replied, “Whatever you decide. If you want to bring Matthew and he wants to come along, that’s fine with us.” Josh looked at Matthew and then back at his phone, “Thank you Tosan. Also, to let you know, I’ve received an invitation to meet local wolves tonight from Lance. He’s a wolf just like me.” His dad tells him that this was good news, but to be cautious. “I know he’s a friend of yours, but don’t let the newness go to your head. If you begin to feel uncomfortable, don’t be afraid to leave. If he is a friend, he will understand.” Josh replies, “Thanks again and I’ll let you know how it goes.” He ends the call.

Josh hugged Matthew and said, "You said you were treating me to dinner. Let's see what they have." He holds his boyfriend's hand as they continue their way.

Standing there with Josh, Matthew let his boyfriend talk with his parents as he watched people walk by still talking about the werewolf news. I doubt this will die down quickly. Being hugged by Josh brought his attention back, Matthew smiled, "Yeah." He said as he walked with Josh.

Looking around the campus, he could easily tell that with the news some of the students who were werewolves were really happy. There was a quick and hard shift in the diversity, not out were there multiple races of humans, there were now also multiple people with wolf features and fully humanoid wolves. Seeing them at a distance was fine, he had Josh with him. However, the moment they entered the cafeteria, it was a whole other story. The hall was loud with many type of discussion, same groups that were once one big one were now split and others weren't. Werewolves and humans were clearly distinctive now.

Being around so many werewolves other than Josh, he had a chill run down his spine. He knew that he was safe with Josh and he knew that not all werewolves would be like Josh, civil. But it was still a bit unnerving seeing so many people, werewolves, at once. He stuck close to Josh, "I never realized that there were others here." He said off hand. "I guess that makes sense, since they were all pretty much in hiding until the news came out."

He looked around a bit but ultimately focused on the line to get food since he promised to pay for Josh's dinner. "You can get anything you want." He said to Josh.

The pair walked along the cobblestone path toward the Pollard Community Center where the cafeteria was. Josh felt unnerved. Why should I feel unnerved? These are my people, right? It was fine for all these years when the only wolf he knew of was the one looking back at him from the other side of the mirror. Now he was confronted by the new world. Among those who appeared to be human, there were those with lupine features, and then there were the bold few who were anthropomorphic wolves. A few of these individuals wore customized bottoms, tailored for tails.

They entered the Community Center and were greeted by the multitude of murmurs. It seemed that some people who used to sit together now didn't sit together and were sitting with different people. One day at a time. Humans, over time, will come to see that we are just like them. There is bad and good in all of us.

The entered the cafeteria and Josh looked over this evening's offerings. He was becoming aware of the look. It was a look that he knew well in high school, the look of longing. He looked up from his review. The nostrils of one of the wolves, a female, flared and she looked at him with desiring eyes. Josh's nostrils sniffed instinctually. He knew that she knew that his appearance was fraudulently human, but she made no attempt to coax him to reveal his true self. It seemed that this was a courtesy extended by other shifted wolves to those wolves who preferred to appear totally human. He nodded politely and shook his head that he was not interested in her companionship. To further give notice of his eternal unavailability, he wrapped an arm around Matthew's shoulder. She backed off, but gave one final look before she got her own meal and headed to the dining hall.

Josh wanted some comfort food and here it was. "I'll have the chicken fried steak." The server asked if he wanted the cream gravy and Josh replied, "On the side please." For sides, Josh asked for green beans and mashed potatoes. The plate was offered which he placed on his tray along with the small bowl of gravy. He then headed to the bread station and got a round wheat roll. He paused at the drinks before he decided to get some punch.

Josh recalled that Matthew had said that dinner was on him. He appreciated and accepted the gift. After he was joined by Matthew, he started to head towards their usual spot in the sun room in the back. Something gave him pause. Something caused him to sit down near the front. It was the TV set on the wall where wall meets ceiling. Normally, pop music is played at a low volume. The TV is usually only on for big sporting events and especially those featuring the Magin University Makos. Breaking news? Different breaking news or just the continuation of today's same breaking news? Josh sits down and is entranced.

A British anchor, "A breakthrough in the case of Jack the Ripper. The Fenris Brigade, an international law enforcement organization of werewolves, has begun declassifying records and releasing them to law enforcement agencies around the world. We go live to New Scotland Yard headquarters for an announcement." The voices quiet as eyes latch on to the TV. The view changes from a studio to a conference room. There is a man with dark hair representing NSY and with auburn fur, a humanoid female wolf representing TFB. Both are wearing uniforms. While she appears to be unruffled, the man is tense. The wolfwoman announces, "Thank you for being here. My name is Denise Shipley and I am the director of the local branch of the Fenris Brigade. As part of the dissolution of the Stumpp Code, our branch and those around the world have opened communication with local law enforcement and have release records pertaining to crimes involving werewolves. This evening, we announce the identity of the person known as Jack the Ripper."

A posterboard is placed on an easel. Affixed is a monochromatic picture of a narrow faced woman with her name beneath. It is an identity made anonymous with the passage of time, but will now be seared into the collective consciousness. Director Shipley goes on to say that the culprit was captured soon after the final victim and punishment was meted out according to their traditions. She goes on to apologize that they kept these facts secret but promises that there will be cooperation from now on. The news segment concludes and normal coverage of the day's events resume. No matter wolf or human, the news is surprising. However, the wolves seemed less surprised. Among lupine civilians since those dark Victorian days, it was rumored that the Ripper was a wolf.

The dining room's mood reverts to the way it was before the newest breaking news. Josh blinks and looks at Matthew then back at his tray. The news story captivated the young man so much, he had not eaten one bite. He slices a piece of the chicken fried steak and places it in his mouth. He muses after swallowing, "Fenris Brigade. Maybe one day. Maybe there's a career with them for me." He turns to Matthew, "Could you see me in a uniform?"

Looking at the food, Matthew saw the many choices. They even changed their menu so quickly to cater to the other werewolves. "Hm?" He looked at Josh when he felt an arm around him. He then looked around and noticed that some, well quite a few people were looking at them, him in particular. He was used to those looks. Those curious looks of, Why are they so close? Why are they together?

Though I guess with recent events, they're more of looks. Why is a human with a werewolf?

"I'll just have a slice of pizza." He said before paying for both his and Josh's meal and followed his boyfriend to a table. He paused for a bit when his attention was diverted to the TV. They don't waste anytime do they. Finally reaching the table Josh was at, Matthew sat down and smiled at Josh. "Uniform?" He hummed as his eyes looked over his boyfriend and grinned slightly. "Yeah.. I could see it. Sexy."

Josh smiled, “Pizza’s cool. It’s one of my favorite foods. Supreme’s my top choice because it’s a nice blend of meat and vegetable toppings. Favorite topping is Italian sausage."

Josh raised an eyebrow. Sexy? I can see it, but that's not what I was thinking of. "I see it as carrying on the family tradition of service. Both of my grandfathers served in World War 2, although for opposing countries. Then there’s my uncle who served in the Marines before becoming a police officer. Did I ever tell you what Grandpa Kentaro’s motto was? ‘For community and country.’ I’ve thought about what I wanted to do for a career. Graphic designer? Chef? I was never quite sure. It could just be the newness talking, but something just seemed to click when that reported mentioned the Fenris Brigade. I wonder what’s involved with joining. Yet another question I need to ask.”

With the Ripper report over, the news channel attempted to cover other stories. Josh resumed eating in silence. There were all sorts of thoughts circulating inside his head. It would be understandable if a part of him felt hurt by the fact that there were all these werewolves on campus and none of them had ever reached out to him and identified themselves as wolves. “Am I being unfair?” It was a question not really directed at Matthew or anyone. It was just a vocalized question aimed at himself. “I just need to forgive how and why we were kept in the dark for all these years. What matters is how we, as an open and unified society, go from here.” He looked up and raised his glass and tapped Matthew’s to offer cheers, “To the journey.”

Josh looked at his empty plate and then swallowed the last bit of punch, “I’d like to go back to the room now and unwind before I get ready for the main event. Ready to go?”

“Right.” Matthew almost felt embarrassed for calling his own boyfriend sexy. But he couldn’t help it. If he was honest, he had a bit of a weakness for guys in uniforms, they just looked so good!

He listened to Josh as he always does, he didn’t mind Joshua’s talking. In fact he found the other’s voice a bit soothing. He glanced at the TV as the report ended and changed to something else he didn’t really pay attention. With his impending doom with his ex lurking in the back of his mind and with the werewolves coming out to the open, a lot was going on in such a short amount of time. Matthew was surprised he could even keep his mind straight.

Maybe when Josh leaves I can go out and get a new phone. That is if the stores are still open.

He needed a new phone, his only dilemma was his phone number. He didn’t want to alert to anything wrong by getting a new number but he also didn’t want the same number because now Jason had it and he wanted to be as far away as possible from that lunatic.

Looking at Josh, Matthew smiled and clinked his glass with Josh. “To the journey.” He said and took a drink. They continued to eat and do idle chat after that until It seemed, at least to Matthew, that Josh was suddenly nervous and wanted to go back to the room. Matthew didn’t eat much maybe a few bites of his slice of pizza, but then again he was suddenly not that hungry. “Yeah. I’m ready.” He said as he stood up with the other and walked with him to dispose of their trash and set the trays on top of the other empty, dirty ones.

The walk back to the dorm was fairly silent, but it wasn’t really that uncomfortable silence like most would think. It was more of the comfortable kind where words weren’t really needed. That and the gossiping people they walked passed helped filled the silence.

Once back in their dorm, Matthew sat down on his bed only to lay down. His hands behind his head as thoughts rushed to his mind. It was strange really, he could go from not thinking about one thing to suddenly thinking about it. Only this time he was actively trying not to think and just let things happen. He turned his head to look at Josh. “When do you need to leave?”

Josh walked back to the dorm. He reached out and clutched Matthew’s hand because he felt his boyfriend needed it. Ten hours ago, I was blissfully asleep unaware that history was happening. How time can flip everything upside down. He knew that there were bound to be discomfort in the coming days as more wolves outed themselves. Like me. “Don’t feel down. Everything will work out. Might not be tomorrow or the next day. This will just take getting used to. Have confidence that there are good people out there, both human and wolf.”

They turned the corner but there were people still around so Josh wasn’t sure how much he should say. He turned to Matthew and said, “I’m going to do it tomorrow. I’m going to go for a different look.” He clarified once they entered their room and he had closed the door, “Same body, just furry, with my wolf head. I think most people will still recognize me, certainly they will know me by my voice.”

Josh then pulled his shirt over his head and set it aside. He reached down and undid his laces. First shoes and then socks. His hands reached for his zipper and he climbed out of his jeans reducing him to just briefs, “I’m not going A Japanese Werewolf in Houston on you, but I may just surprise you and come back wolfy tonight. Think of it as a test run for tomorrow.”

Opening his closet, Josh took the newer pair of jeans he had worn today and hung them back up. He then took out another pair of jeans. Unlike the earlier crisp pair which still needed some breaking in, this faded pair of jeans knew his body well. “I’ve had these jeans for about a couple years. If I do go visit you during the summer, I’ll be taking these with me. Oh, boy. That’s going to be an interesting conversation. ‘Hi there. I’m Josh. Nice to meet you at last. These wolf ears? Yes, they’re real.’”

Josh unfurled the used jeans and pulled them up his legs. He then looked at his digital watch, “Soon. I know we’ve been to the State Park before, but I’ve never parked at this lot before and it’s down a road I’ve never been on. I don’t want to get lost and make an ass of myself be showing up late.” He then put his socks back on and put his hiking shoes on.

He shoved his head back into the closet and if Josh had his tail out, it’d be swaying in keen interest. Josh wanted to wear a tee but what. He decided on his desert camo tee that his uncle had once given him. He placed it on his bed while he applied anti-perspirant/deodorant and then he spritzed cologne. He then pulled the tee over his head and looked at himself in the mirror, “I look like a jarhead.” Mere minutes left and he decided to put them to good use.

Josh went to Matthew and got on his knees. He draped his arm across his boyfriend’s body and kissed him. Showing his gold hued eyes, “I love you Matthew Shane Wolf. Wish me luck. Go ahead and hang out with Caleb and Duncan. They’re lots of fun.” Another kiss and he was out the door.

He headed to Red Tundra and as his hands gripped the steering wheel, he breathed deeply. Here we go. Motor revs and he left the resident parking lot to head to his momentous encounter with his people.

Matthew smiled a bit and couldn't help but chuckle. "They'd be a conversation I'd like to see. Just to see the looks on my folk's faces." He said as his smile grew imagining the looks on his parents and sister’s faces. I’d even pay money to see it.

However, his smile vanished a bit when Josh said he’d be leaving soon. “Just be careful.” He said with a sigh as his boyfriend looked at himself in the mirror. “And you don’t look like a jarhead.” To him, jarheads looked like complete assholes, and Josh was anything but. He blinked his blue eyes curious now, as Josh walked over to him and knelt down. Tilting his head a bit to look at the other better. Kissing Josh back, almost second nature now, “Uh.” He was rendered a bit speechless at the confession as he kissed Josh again before he left. “Luck…” And the door clicked closed.

Now alone, Matthew was left to his thoughts. Did he just… Matthew narrowed his eyes in thought. Did he mean it? Or did it just come out? The blonde wasn’t sure what to make of it. But he also had a feeling that Josh wouldn’t say it if he didn’t mean it. Or did he? Matthew didn’t know. That would be a question for later.

Sitting up, Matthew looked at the clock. It wasn’t too late that stores would be closed, maybe he could get to one and get a phone. First things first. Get a new phone. But should I still have the same number? This question repeated in his head as he got up and Left the dorm. And still thought about it as he made it to his truck and drove to the store.

“And you don’t look like a jarhead.” Josh looked at the mirror again and mused, "If my uncle saw me looking like this, I think he would drag me the recruiting office in a heartbeat. Three generations of Ishidas in the US Armed Forces, but not quite. Maybe my cousin or soon to be additional cousin might serve, but we're talking about twenty years from now. What will the world look like in twenty years. Imagine it. Wolf policemen or wolves in the movies. Talk about a big change there. Think about all the werewolf flicks that are now outdated. As for me, I think Joining the Brigade seems like a good choice because I'm in classes studying for a career in forensics, CSI type stuff." Josh frowned, "They might ask me to transfer to Japan though, but to be so far away from my family and you. I would ask for something more local. I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't even found out how one joins."

Sometime later, Josh was getting closer to his destination. He had been down plenty of streets in the area and Sutter was so small that there were few streets he hadn’t been down at least once. This was one of them. Red Tundra ambled down the lonely street that led to the exclusive Lot C. The security fence that normally prevented entry had been parted. Already there were several cars. He maneuvered his truck and parked off to the side beneath a lamppost. He got out and headed in the same direction as the others.

There were two large men guarding the entrance. These must be the enforcers that Lance told me about. The physiques these men had exceeded his own. I'm well-formed for a guy my age and frame and football background, but these men are on a totally different level. Josh truly believed that even if these men were purely human, they appeared strong enough to overpower him even if he was in wolf form at full strength. I wouldn’t want to tangle with them. I must not give them a reason to get on their bad side.

Josh approached them and assumed that they would let him pass as easy as they were letting everyone else because Lance said that he would alert them to his arrival. The one closest moved and blocked his way. Josh tried to sidestep and yet the man continued to block him. The young man said, “Lance invited me.” The other enforcer continued to invite wolves in unimpeded. The man loomed over Josh and studied him harshly, “We have protocols. We have never seen you before and we need identification.” Josh reached for his wallet and presented his license. The man’s eyed became gold hued and he glowered, “Other identification.”

I feel so stupid. I should have kept my eyes wolfen instead of going back to human when I left the room. Josh returned the gesture. His irises became golden also. He also willed his ears to become wolf shaped. The man nodded. While he retained a sense of sternness, he appeared more cordial. “Welcome. He’s waiting for you.”

The people disappeared into the trees and Josh followed them. Some retained a human appearance, others had some lupine features, then there were those who were fully anthro with some having tails and others without. Take the male approaching him for instance. This was a Lance he had never seen before. The wolf known as Lance Leitner had fur the color of chocolate. Lance clapped Josh on the shoulder in camaraderie, “Glad you made it. Come on.”

The trail was dark, but it providence no serious hinderance for them because of their lupine eyes. Other wolves passed by the two on the way to the meeting place. Those with children too young to shift held onto their hands tightly so they wouldn’t get lost. As the two made their way, Josh shifted his body until he matched Lance’s form. Although he was a werewolf just like them, he still stood out because he has black fur while almost everyone else had blond to dark brown fur.

“So, tell me, one football jock to another, how did you manage it?” Josh was confused and asked, “Manage it?” Lance explained, “We don’t participate sports with humans unless we are cleared by trainers. You work with trainers who are knowledgably in the sport you want to participate in. They study your body so they can extrapolate your stats in human form. You work with them to train your body so that it performs in the way humans think it should. If we were at peak performance, our secret would have come out ages ago.” That made sense to Josh, “I just looked at my best friend and guessed. Brett and I have the same physique. He’s just two inches taller.” Lance snorted in laughter, “Good observance.”

Josh asked, “Lance? Did you see the news about Jack the Ripper?” Lance nodded, “I did. Why?” He replied, “The Fenris Brigade. I was thinking about applying. What’s involved?” Lance told him briefly what he would be looking forward to if he wanted to apply, “For starters, you must be a member in good standing with your pack.” Josh looked at him with despair, “For starters? I don’t belong to any pack. How can I be in good standing?” Lance said, “Hmm. I would say register with the Houston pack as soon as you can.” Josh said, “I’m planning to go home this weekend, Friday if I can manage it. I can find their headquarters and register.” Lance nodded, “Sounds like a plan and I’ll ask Dad if he can sent a quickie email to Joseph VanderWilt, that’s Houston’s Alpha, explaining things. I’m sure that something like this has happened before. Here we are.”

The two wolves reached a clearing and in that clearing, there were log benches arranged in semicircles. In front of the log benches, there was a platform. On it, there were two additional log benches, one on either side.

Josh guessed there were about forty wolves already in attendance, not including children. He recognized several of them. Some he had seen around campus and others he had seen around town since he first arrived including Gordon Frazer, the pastor of Saint Bernadette Catholic Church. It was surreal seeing him with his sightly lupine face while he is wearing his wearing his collar and short sleeve clergy shirt and slacks.

So surreal, but welcoming.

He was able to get to the store before it closed and purchase a new phone. “Do you want to keep your current number? Or get a new one?” Matthew thought about this as they recovered his data and contacts to his new phone. “Um… keep the current.” He said as much as he regretted. But also as he thought about it, it was unlikely Jason would think he’d keep it knowing that he was trying to avoid and hide from the psycho. But what if he tries to call me again? Maybe I just won’t set up my voicemail… and just don’t answer calls I don’t recognize.

Matthew knew Jason was one that wouldn’t give up in finding him. I just hope he doesn’t go after my family. This was a thought that scared him the most. What if he finds out about Josh? This was another that scared him. He didn’t want anything to happen to his boyfriend. He cared about him too much. And with Josh’s new discovery of werewolves in the world, along with the world itself. He didn’t want to bring more trouble or issues to an already complicated realization of no longer being alone. Of course, Josh wasn’t alone, he had friends and family and now a whole community of his own kind. But where did that leave Matthew? He was only human. It’s only a matter of time before he wants to move on to something… someone else. I’ll just enjoy it while I can.

It was a thought that hurt, considering that Josh told him that he loved him, but it was also a realistic thought.

“Here you are. All set.” The woman behind the counter said as she smiled and handed Matthew his phone. Matthew smiled back, “Thank you.” And he left the store with his new phone. Looking at the device in his hand, It kept going off with new notification and texts, and missed calls that he received during the short time of not having one.

He could t help but smile as he saw texts from his sister and decided to call her.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“About time you called me! Ass!”

Matthew smiled and laughed a bit as he took his keys out and walked to his truck. “Sorry. Phone died.” It wasn’t a total lie.

“You saw the news right?! Mom and dad are freaking out! Now always suspicious of anyone, thinking they’re a monster.”

“Anna—“

“It’s like a fantasy come true! Beauty and the beast!”

Matthew snorted, “of course you’d say that. So you’re not scared that werewolves are in the world?”

“What? Of course not! I love werewolves. And I kind of already knew.”

“What?”

“Yeah, my friend is one. She showed me one the announcement was made but I kind of already knew. I mean she isn’t the most stealthy or secretive person.”

“So you’re ok with it?” Matthew asked as he finally got to his truck and got in.

“Why wouldn’t I be? She’s still the same just… sometimes furry.”

“I guess you’re right. Hey shouldn’t you be in bed?”

In the clearing, the remaining false humans shifted. Josh felt out of place, but it wasn't because he felt like an outsider. It was that almost all the other wolves had fur ranging from tan to down brown. He was one of the few with black fur. The only other black furred wolves were Lance's boyfriend Rolando and his folks. Speaking of Lance, his friend granted him a few moments at the entrance of the clearing to absorb the sight. Maybe it was a way to let Josh have a minute to ask himself if he wanted to be here? Lance kept his reasons to himself. Josh's heart fluttered and decided that even if there was a part of him that felt uncomfortable, he had to be here. He nodded and they continued moving.

Lance escorted Josh to the front causing him to ask, “You sure about this? I’m a stranger here.” There were quite a few wolves whose eyes tracked his movement and whispered about him. He didn't feel that they were scorning him. Rather, he felt that they were curious because they probably hadn't seen too many Asian wolves around here and certainly not this close. Lance shook his head, "I am sure and although you may be a stranger, and this is your first time with us, you are still my friend and my guest. Just sit next to my brothers. I'm one of the acolytes and I need to help Mr. Luna set up."

Josh’s friend joined up with Rolando and his dad to get things set up for the meeting. He turned to the younger wolves, “You two are sitting by yourselves?” 16 year old Carter nodded, “Mom left a couple hours ago to pick up Dad. Lance and Rolando brought us.” That made sense and he asked the two wolf boys, “What goes on during these meetings?” Carter informed, “It’s mostly a meet and greet.” 10 year old Colin interjected, “We can’t be our wolf selves among humans. Well that was before today. Here, we get to meet as our true selves.” Carter took the conversation back, “We kept our existence for years and one of the ways we did so was restrict how news is spread. Alphas get the news and then share with their packs. That’ll probably change now. Maybe. Sometimes we have special guests, and we have refreshments.” Colin again, “Today, we/re having venison. Nice and raw. Food used to be even fresher long ago, but it became too much of a hassle bringing live prey and then hunt them. Now we just have the ritual hunt. We do ours in the neighboring Mendel Forest. It’ll be a few years before I go on mine.” Carter interjected, “A wolf goes out on the hunt the first full moon after summer solstice after their 16th birthday. I had mine a few months ago. Boys in one group and girls in another. Full wolf mode just like our ancestors. Oh! Looks like they are starting the meeting.”

The wolves watched as Gilberto Luna, Sutter’s Beta, ascended the platform and then raised his hand. The mood grew from lively to muted. "Before we begin, Father Gordon, will you lead us in howling 'One World, One Pack'?"

The priest stood up and walked up to the stage. His snout rose in the air and he began to howl. All the other wolves around Josh began howling. Even those too young to have the appropriate vocal chords or fully memorize the song, were close enough. Josh, having been raised by humans and therefore unaware of his culture and therefore unaware of the correct intonations, decided to howl what was in his heart. He howled about love for his family, his love for Matthew, and of now belonging to a wider community.

A hauntingly beautiful howl, the voice of the town's pack, could be heard throughout most of Sutter, but was heard more clearly at Magin University since it was close to the State Park.

After the conversation with his sister and talking about mundane things, Matthew felt a bit lighter as he parked in the university parking lot.

Oh just admit you love him! Tell him back! He could hear his sisters voice. You might even get lucky~ Matthew smiled and laughed a bit. He didn’t have the heart to tell her that Josh wasn’t ready for that type of thing yet. But he was willing to wait, Josh was worth waiting for. With a slam of his door, Matthew paused as he heard wolves howling. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end but he didn’t feel scared.

I hope he’s ok… enjoying himself. Matthew was suddenly burden with the thought of the potential of Josh leaving him only to quickly banish the thought. Sighing, Matthew leaned against his truck and closed his eyes as he listened to the howls. It almost reminded him of home. He remembered there was a small pack of wolves back home, now with the new revelation, he almost wondered if they really were wolves or werewolves.

Either way, the sound was soothing.

After the howl ended, Matthew opened his eyes and smiled, he wouldn’t leave if he said he loved me, right? Pushing away from his truck, the blonde walked back to the dorm. Once inside, Matthew picked up his sketch pad and charcoal and moved to sit on the window seal after opening said window. Looking up at the night sky, Matthew looked down and put the charcoal to paper and began sketching whatever came to mind. I’ll wait up for him.

The pack finished their howl and Father Gordon sat down. Gilberto Luna stood back up and stood before the members. He had a notepad with him and he began talking about the day’s events as relayed to him by Samuel Leitner, the Alpha.

Most of what Josh heard made no sense which was understandable because he wasn’t raised in this culture. There was talk of a Steward and agendas. Mr. Luna revealed that the motion to reveal their existence passed with 64% of the vote. There were murmurs among the community that the last time that disclosure to humanity was up for vote, which was the last time the Gathering met, the motion failed to pass 54% to 46%. A huge turnaround in only five years. There were rumors of rigged votes. Mr. Luna held up his hand, “There was a recount and when the numbers were the same, there was a call for open voting, delegate by delegate, rather than each region declaring either yea or nay.”

For the next thirty minutes, he spoke about their future. Most of what was said had been mentioned already. Mr. Luna did say that they were looking into purchasing a building or land to build a structure which will serve as our pack’s office and a place to hold the monthly meetings. There were some grumbling and it was clear that some of the wolves disliked the thought of holding their meetings in a building rather than out here in the open as they had for generations. What was fine for city packs was not fine for smaller packs. The meeting was almost at an end when Lance’s parents appeared and assumed supervision of his younger brothers. Mr. Leitner and his wife sat down to allow Mr. Luna to complete the meeting on his own. Shortly after their arrival, the meeting ended. Some members left to go home, but others stayed behind to socialize and have refreshments.

While Mr. Leitner fielded questions, and his wife looked after the younger brothers, Lance and Rolando escorted Josh to the refreshment table. The smell of raw meat crackled in his nostrils like fireworks. He instinctively began to salivate. Rolando chucked, "Yup. He's a wolf all right. Come on. Plenty of meat." The residents grabbed paper plates and took tongs to place slivers of raw venison on them. Josh smiled as he took a couple of pieces and rejoined his two friends. He took a bite and savored the taste. Oh, so fresh and warm. It has been a long time.

Josh's emotions returned to a more normal state and was fully starting to enjoy the company of the other wolves as wolves instead of pretend humans. There was still the aspect of newness though. It was like any other community cookout he had been to. Look, there are even females checking me out. Josh blushed under his fur. Sorry ladies, but I'm unavailable. I'm into men or rather a man. A human man named Matthew.

Lance said, "Now that the secret is out, Josh, come have a talk with my parents." Josh nodded, "Right." He and Lance headed toward his parents. Few remained and the Leitners could finally speak with their guest as wolves.

With the time passing and it getting later and later, it was getting hard and hard to stay awake. Looking back out the window Matthew bit his lip and then looked at the time. He didn’t know if these meetings lasted all night into the morning or even a whole day. Getting up from the window seal, the blonde stretched letting out a soft grunt as his back popped.

He walked over to his desk and set his sketch pad down which featured a detailed drawing of Josh as a head shot with his wolf as a head piece. Much like how you would see a Druid or a Viking wearing an animal skin. He had seen Josh’s wolf enough times to remember details.

I hope he’s fitting in. What the hell am I saying? Of course he’s fitting in. He’s with his own kind for once.

Taking his shirt off followed by his pants leaving him in just boxers. Matthew laid down on his bed and turned onto his side. Staring at Josh’s empty bed, Matthew closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back