• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Orphanage

OOC
Here
Kali thinks for a moment if she can trust the librarian and decides that it would be unlikely that he would try to steal her flute. "I was given a new flute recently that I believe has some kind of magical ability and I want to know what that ability is. Also flutes are awesome".

Thia runs to the other side of the room, following the noise. She says "Hello?" once again just to know where she's supposed to go next.

Last edited:
As the two children walk into the library, Io marveled at the vast open space. Seas of shelves sprawled out before him as the mountain of a librarian approached.

Kali approached him and asked him a question, but Io was far too enthralled by the long halls of knowledge to talk to the librarian. He instead let his feet carry him off into the corridors and nooks, letting himself wander until he found a section about oozes, or magic diseases, or perhaps even cosmic wandering entities. Anything that he might find relevant or interesting to peruse.

In reality, this was a pleasant lie that Io told himself. His mysterious patron had taken interest in Kali, and he decided to distance himself from her temporarily in the hopes that perhaps the young warlock could find some other secret to appease his master. There had to be at least a king's random worth of secrets hidden away in this place, he just had to find one.

still watching fma still watching fma

Wash kept going, following the pitter-patter of little feet... until he caught wind of the thing coming after him. He stopped and turned to face it. The mystery was about to rear its ugly head.

[My perception roll meets the stealth roll: 22 to 22.]

Last edited:
Kali thinks for a moment if she can trust the librarian and decides that it would be unlikely that he would try to steal her flute. "I was given a new flute recently that I believe has some kind of magical ability and I want to know what that ability is. Also flutes are awesome".

The giant smiled at her answer and nodded, " Yes, I find they are quite amazing too. There's a wonderful book which I think you might find interesting on the second floor. And you youn---g man...", he said, trailing off. io had slipped under his radar and vanished while he was speaking to her. "hmm, did I miss something or did you come in alone"?

Ilikepie Ilikepie - You'll find a book that tells you about magic flutes and some of their common properties, but you'll have to beat an arcana check. Otherwise gotta ask the librarian what's up

As the two children walk into the library, Io marveled at the vast open space. Seas of shelves sprawled out before him as the mountain of a librarian approached.

Kali approached him and asked him a question, but Io was far too enthralled by the long halls of knowledge to talk to the librarian. He instead let his feet carry him off into the corridors and nooks, letting himself wander until he found a section about oozes, or magic diseases, or perhaps even cosmic wandering entities. Anything that he might find relevant or interesting to peruse.

In reality, this was a pleasant lie that Io told himself. His mysterious patron had taken interest in Kali, and he decided to distance himself from her temporarily in the hopes that perhaps the young warlock could find some other secret to appease his master. There had to be at least a king's random worth of secrets hidden away in this place, he just had to find one.

still watching fma still watching fma
As io moved along the aisles aimlessly, a chill descended upon him. The lord of secrets loomed over him and said, "Your ins...stincts are sharp my boy. We must move...with has..te, that tabaxi wit...ch...came for the vault...as well. We must locate it before her". io's eye would become black as coal if he accepted his patron's aid. What would lie before him are divergent paths made of hellfire that only he could see.

one path veered toward the staff only basement. The other two the second floor and one, just behind the librarian's desk. The lord of secrets has an inkling of where the entrance may be, but he can't be 100% sure. Snek Snek

Thia runs to the other side of the room, following the noise. She says "Hello?" once again just to know where she's supposed to go next.
Thia walks half way into the room, her eyes darting back and forth searching for what made the sound. However, there isn't anything out of the ordinary, safe for a book which fell off the book shelf. The voice, continues to beckon toward thee. "Yes you're getting closer, help me child".

Afropuppy Afropuppy use an investigation check, but this time narrate how you do it.

Wash kept going, following the pitter-patter of little feet... until he caught wind of the thing coming after him. He stopped and turned to face it. The mystery was about to rear its ugly head.

[My perception roll meets the stealth roll: 22 to 22.]
Wash, being the perceptive hunter that he was, looked up toward the ceiling to find a shadow moving along edges of the candlelight. Upon being seen it slowly began to descend toward Wash, unveiling a milky white eye. From its side emerged a blade seething black energy that possessed a low hum akin to a swarm of bees, but was only audible to animal humanoids.

"Attaboi snake, so that human didn't dampen your instincts afterall", said the voice on the other side of the bookcase.

Roll for initiative Zotar Zotar

Now Washed in on the Tide knew he was in trouble. "Uh... HELP!?" He let his mewling voice ring out load and clear as he considered his options. Escaping felt like the best option.

Mew. *quivering*

Thia walks over to the book, still looking around as she walks. She picks up the book, glances over at the bookcase and then turns her attention back to the book. She looks on the outside, then opens it looking for anything abnormal. If she didn't find anything, she would focus on the bookcase next.

Last edited:
Changelings were cowards. It came with the territory. When the old man said he knew her mother and RECOGNISED her, every single cell in her body screamed at her to get out of there and back to normality and she was powerless to resist. Being recognized was perhaps the worst nightmare of all changelings. Before thought returned to her she had run deep into the library. She hid behind some bookshelves and changed shape. Drastic enough to not be recognized, but subtle enough to not stand out. Dancy turned into a boy with short dark hair. Not wanting it to give him away, he took his precious scarf, folded it, and hid it in his shirt.

Wash fled the darkened foe, mewling for help as he went. He was no coward, but today he understood the wisdom of fear. He needed to find Reinforcements.

Kali noticed that Io ran off at some point while she was talking to the librarian. Kali started to walk up the to the second floor the moment she heard the book she needed to find was on the second floor. As she heads upstairs she hears a scream for help that sounded like Washy. Worried about her friend she begins running towards the scream hoping that he is ok since it must be serious if he is the one screaming for help. She can get back to finding the book later after she knows Washy is safe.

The aasimar boy shuddered as the Lord of Secrets materialized before him, once more appearing as a dapper noble. But his face...was a blurred, twisting vortex of darkness with two red eyes gleaming through the shade.

"T-tabaxi witch? Okay, sir - I mean, m'lord - I'll find this vault. I need your help to see the way, if you would honor me with your power," stammered Io, his eyes glossing over with the blackness of space as his vision was opened to writhing trails of eldritch flame snaking through the library. He decided to start at the upper floors, and work his way back down to the ground level. That was the most efficient path, right?

Upon reaching the second floor, Io hadn't taken two steps before Washed In on the Tide turned the corner and collided with him, the tabaxi boy shrieking for help. "What's the big ide-" the aasimar started, before seeing the horrific shadow chasing him.

He steeled his nerves. Normally he would be terrified of such a monstrosity, but Io was sure a much worse fate awaited him if he failed his master. Encouraged by the dark power of the Lord of Secrets, Io's clenched fist crackled with pitch-black energy as he stood to fight. It was bad enough he almost died in a mysterious fire already today. He would show this thing that it picked the wrong kid to mess with.

Wash screaming for help? Was it Tuesday already? No. And this was a library. Dancy drew his quarterstaff and ran in the direction of the mewling.

Thia walks over to the book, still looking around as she walks. She picks up the book, glances over at the bookcase and then turns her attention back to the book. She looks on the outside, then opens it looking for anything abnormal. If she didn't find anything, she would focus on the bookcase next.
Thia browsed the book to find a book written almost entirely in Elvish. After the first or second page flip, you'll find what looks to be a sleeping eye. However, footsteps can heard from the back door.

Zotar Zotar Snek Snek
The shadow chased you instictively, by melding into the shadows. It would appear to be a long snake at first that is rushing along the bookcases dark spots, but as its prey stops, it pauses for just a moment. Seeing io and sensing his darkness, it waited for its master's input.

"Continue", said a feminine tabaxi voice through the message cantrip.

The shadow melded into the boy's shadows and began spin around them like a centrifuge. It would appear to them to be an anaconda slowly closing in on them.

Dancy
Io
Wash
Shadow
Kali

Thia hears the footsteps immediately. Frightened but intrigued, she slams the book closed. She takes a look behind her and turns around quickly.

(Sorry for the short response, I just don't know what else to write since I don't know what's behind me)

Last edited:
Dancy turned around a bookshelf and there they were, Wash and... Io? Guess he was back from getting the flute, which meant Kali should be around here somewhere good. Wash was grappling with some sort of shadow snake and it didn't look fun. Dancy tried to remember his dance lessons, be angry but calm, as hard as a mountain and fast as the wind, aaannnnd.... Nope. Can't do it. Just going to hit it with the stick really hard. "Brace Wash!" he shouted as he went to strike, hoping not to hurt him.

[ Standard Action: Two Handed Quatterstaff attack, 1d20+4 to hit, 1d8+2 damage ]
[ Bonus Action: Martial Arts: Two Handed Quatterstaff attack, 1d20+4 to hit, 1d8+2 damage ]

Io gritted his teeth. This was the first time he had felt this kind of power flowing through him, and he had to trust that he would know how to use it. The shadow leapt into his own and merged, circling around the group like a predator waiting to strike.

He waited until it was about to circle back around, feeling the eldritch power build up inside his fist. Once the shadow was almost back around in front of him, Io prepared to attack.

"Enough of these games, monster!" he yelled, opening his fist and releasing a mass of energy shaped like black snakes, striking out at the monster with bared ethereal fangs.

[Eldritch Blast: Ranged Spell attack, 1d20 +6 to hit, 1d10 damage]

Wash dropped the book as soon as he collided with Io. "SorrybutIneedhelp!" Dancy (Wash wasn't sure if it was him) showed up, to pummel the thing, that black thing which wanted to hurt Wash. Wash felt courage make a return, but that feeling was overshadowed by the building darkness In Io's eyes.

When Io released his magic, Wash felt his blood go cold with adrenaline. He was blind to the effect Io's spell had on the creature. Rage he didn't quite fathom began to boil within him. Wash's turn was just that. He turned right around and started raking the beast with his claws. His wild swipes scratch at air.

[After figuring out my mistakes, Wash actually does 5 damage.]

Last edited:
The shadow was fixated on wash and io, moving to try and constrict its slender but tough body around the two boys when dancy appeared from behind a corner, slamming his staff into the creature's body. It moved with the staff, likely giving the creature whiplash as its head pulled by the force of dancy.

Before the creature could react, io unleashed a deathly snake made of dark enigmatic energies at the shadow. The snake's fangs clamp onto the shadow's body and slam it into the ground with tremendous force. As the two traveled, bits and pieces of marble and iron were strewn about, causing wash to mess up his attack.

The shadow wasn't finished though. It slowly coalesced into a humanoid shape through the cracks of debris laid around it. Though this was just a ruse, for its real aim was to use its already elongated body that had been stretched from flying backwars, to launch a sneak attack on the children. A sharpened blade like appendage burst from the bookshelf behind dancy, flying toward his torso.

Meanwhile other creatures were making a stealth check on the children.

Zotar Zotar
pbtenchi pbtenchi
Snek Snek
Ilikepie Ilikepie

Thia with the book in hand, was greeted by Ma. She looked down on the girl with a raised eyebrow. "Feeling guilty you didnt go with the others? Don't sweat it, we will make the best dinner ever. Go on outside and grab me some carrots and potatoes from the garden child".

But before she went to start pulling out firewood, Ma said, "put that book back. You know how Cain feels about his books".

Afropuppy Afropuppy

Kali finding makes it over to Wash where sees some shadowy creature attacking Dancy. She was slightly surprised Io got there first but he did have a head start on her. She hasn't seen this creature before and doesn't have time to think if she has read about it any of the books she read since it's already attacking her friends. Keeping her distance she focuses magic into her voice to cast vicious mockery. "Hey ugly, that blade of yours can't even cut butter". She then looks at Wash. In a mocking tone she says "Don't worry little Washy I'm here to save you again".

DC 14 Wisdom save for the Shadow on fail takes damage on the dice and has disadvantage on next attack.

Thia walks towards the bookcase and puts the book back. "Sorry, it had fallen down and I wanted to take a look, that's all". Then, she happily runs out the door to the garden. She tries to pull some carrots out of the ground. (Im gonna do a nature roll for that)

As his comrades assaulted the creature with magic and physical blows, Io's confidence surged. He didn't know how he was going to explain his black eyes or his dark powers, but right now he was useful, powerful, needed. It felt good.

Io clenched his fist again as the shadow recoiled from his friends' attacks. He felt the power instantly surge up again; it was so easy. Too easy. The power wanted to be unleashed, eagerly awaiting a victim. He could feel the glittering scales, black and cold as the starry void of the cosmos, slithering beneath his skin in some other dimension.

He released another blast of power, the celestial snakes launching from his palm, their ensorcelled fangs hungrily outstretched toward their prey. As they leapt forth, Io realised that they were smaller versions of the dark cosmic snake from his nightmares. Black, slithering extensions of /his/ will.

tumblr_n2nes0dmVD1szmra2o1_400.jpg

Thia walks towards the bookcase and puts the book back. "Sorry, it had fallen down and I wanted to take a look, that's all". Then, she happily runs out the door to the garden. She tries to pull some carrots out of the ground. (Im gonna do a nature roll for that)
As Thia went outside, the sound smell of burning flesh was carried on the wind. The sound of struggling, came from behind the garden wall. Grunts akin to chirping birds could be heard on the other side. It was incessant, but rhythmic. A shrill screech could be heard a moment later, before it sounded like the wooden fence was hit by a truck. There's definitely two, but of what?

Afropuppy Afropuppy
----
The shadow was enveloped by io's attack, its body constricted by ethereal snake before succumbing to its vicious bite. All seemed to be going well for the children, but the tabaxi witch, lying in wait within the sea of bookcases before them was only beginning her games.

A message darted through the bookshelves, emerging from the darkness and penetrated wash's mind. "My my Snake, what a good bunch of friends you have here. Better take care of them", a female tabaxi voice said, as it echoed through his mind. He is able to send one message back, if he so chooses, due to the cantrip's effect. All seems to have gone well for the children, but a voice urged io on. "We musn't let them escape, use these things...distractions...boy", the sound of the patron reverberated in io's mind. It was generally a calm tone, but this time, the voice was worked up.

Lying before their path were shifting shadows and a low growl coupled with the stench of death and decay. Going back means entering the maw of an evil beast. Though the group's way is clear at the moment. You may run if you choose to do so, but the librarian is nowhere to be seen.

What do you do?

Ilikepie Ilikepie Zotar Zotar pbtenchi pbtenchi Snek Snek

order is

io
dancy
monster 1
wash
monster 2
pie

If anyone goes after the shadow's master.

Last edited:
Upon vanquishing the shadow, Io grinned. He did it! They said he was weak. Adults would run from these things, but he could destroy them. They were the weak ones.

His patron whispered to him once more, urging him to continue. "Of course," Io whispered back so his friends couldn't hear, "I won't let her get away master."

He took off deeper into the library, continuing to follow one of the trails on the second floor, whichever one seemed like it led farther away. "C'mon guys, we can't let her get away!"

Deep in one of the library's many halls was a pale little boy no younger than ten, sitting on the floor with a stack of books on either side of him. On the left, books he hadn't read yet, and the completed pile on the right. He had pointed ears like an elf and stark white eyes that were unsettling to look at. He was fixated on the words on the page.

"Fire washeth over the land, and in its ashes bore the tree of life. From its branches came forth the apple of man." The boy read aloud to seemingly nobody, but there was a leathery little bat nested in his lap. The little curl of a smile he had from looking at his tiny friend was squashed by the thoughts entering his head.

"But some apples are rotten, like me" he thought, running a hand through his greasy black hair.

There was a commotion in one of the aisles. He heard yelling and noise like a battle was happening. He'd seen guards in town murder bandits with a flurry of blows. He knew what battle sounded like. He picked up his book and bat and started silently stalking the source of the racket.

Sure enough it was a fight happening, and they were kids around his age! Fighting what seemed like goopy blobs of the shadows and some kind of spellcasting lynx. He felt his heartbeat quicken. He could simply hide and go back to reading like nothing happened. He'd been squatting in this library for a couple days. Nobody knew he was here. But something tugged at him. He felt fire bursting within his soul. He threw caution to the wind and decided to jump into the fray. He'd cast Mage Armor on himself as he darted quickly down the the aisles of books and emerge behind the witch, ready to hit her with Burning Hands as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back