• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

[The One Ring] The Rise of Dale - OOC

Characters
Here
Other
Here

This link is a great way to learn a bit about character creation, but I am more than happy to help you make your characters, however is needed.

The first step is choosing a Culture to come from. Each culture has it's Cultural blessing, and gives you the base skill of that culture, that you can improve on later.

If no-one els is playing a Dwarf, I'll do so.

Oh cool, I am not much for playing Dwarves...right now I am leaning towards an elf of Lorien or Mirkwood or a human Barding. The Great Bows are really cool.

jaydude jaydude what Calling are you leaning toward?

Its kind of like a class...sort of...the Callings are Scholar, Slayer, Treasure Hunter, Warden, Wanderer, or Leader (which I do not remember where Leader came from...it is not in the main book... but it is in the character generator.

There was only a few of us so far so i am sure you are welcome to join us! It’s Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws game…. ;-)

Allowed Cultural Backgrounds:
Bardings
Men of the Lake
Beornings
Woodsmen
Elves of Mirkwood
Wayward Elves
Elves of Lorien
Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain
Dwarves' of the Grey Mountains
Dwarves of the Iron Hills
Wild Hobbits of the Anduin Vales

Your cultural background determines not just your race, but also your starting skills, and one Favored Skill.

Each Cultural Background also has 2 options for Weapon Skills, that you can choose between.

After that, you must choose two Specialties. These are area that your character had knowledge of...
1. And if needed to make a roll, you might be able to forgo a roll, since you have the knowledge
2. Be allowed to make a relevant roll, since you actually have knowledge

The Next Step is choosing a Background. Each Cultural Background has six possible backgrounds to choose from.
This will determine you basic Body, Heart, and Wits, which are your attributes. You will be stuck with these attributes for the rest of the game.
Body applies to all combat rolls, from attack to damage.
In addition, each of the attributes can be applied to one third of the Skills in the game.
A Background also gives you another Favored Skill, and a list of 8 Defining Features, which you can choose 2 of. The Defining Features can be used like the Specialties mentioned above.

And then it's time to choose your Calling. As mentioned, this is your Class. Or better yet, this is how you approach the world, and also signals how you might eventually fall to evil.
Your Calling gives you another Trait, to be used like Specialties.
It also allows you to choose two Skills, from two different Groups, as Favored.
And it gives you your Shadow-Weakness. This is your path to falling from being a Hero to being a servant of the Shadow, but it's not an easy fall, and there are ways to prolong it before you actually fall to Shadow.

The next part is easy. You already have your Attributes, but now is a chance to be somewhat better with those Favored Skills.
In General: When rolling a skill, if you do not roll high enough, you can spend a point of Hope, and then add the relevant Attribute to the result. If your Skill is Favored, then you can add your Favored Attribute.
And this is where this next step comes in. You can now add +3 to one Attribute, +2 to another Attribute, and +1 to the third Attribute.
This doesn't replace the Attribute, but it listed as your Favored Attribute.
For Example, I made a Barding with Body 5, Heart 5, and Wits 4. His Favored Skills are Inspire, Travel, Stealth, and Hunting. Inspire and Travel both fall under Heart, while Hunting and Stealth fall under Wits. But I wanted to make this character a premier hunter of dark creatures with his bow, so Body is also important to me.
I decide to spend the +3 on Body (to fight better, soon enough), +1 to Heart (My heart is already 5, so I'd rather up my Wits a bit more), and +2 to Wits (so it's on par with Heart)
My Attributes are:
Body 5/Favored Body 8
Heart 5/Favored Heart 6
Wits 4/Favored Wits 6

That means that if I need to roll Inspire, Travel, Stealth, and Hunting, I can spend a point of Hope to add +6 to the result, which is very nice.

Then you need to decide whether you want to start with Wisdom of 2, or with Valor of 2.
Wisdom is used to try and avoid corruption, whether from spells cast by some foul creatures, tainted land, or tainted treasure.
Valor is used to avoid Fear.

Both are also used in social situations, but that's usually the highest of each among the entire fellowship.
In addition, if you have Wisdom 2, you can choose a Virtue. Each Culture has 6 Virtues to choose from, and there are also generic ones.
If you choose Valor 2, you get a Reward. This can be one of 3 Cultural Rewards, or from the generic ones.

Rewards are items, or improvement to items, while Virtues are internal things, or special training of your people. Like being more hopeful, or being better at raising your sword or bow Weapon skills, for example.

The next step is spending 10 points to improve Skills, including Weapon Skills. The cost to increase General Skills, in character creation only, is 1 point per rank. So to go from 0 to 1, costs 1 point. From 1 to 2 costs 2 points, and so on. Weapon Skills cost twice as much, in character Creation. You cannot raise a General Skill above 5, and if you had a 3 in it, it will cost you 9 of the 10 points you have to spend. Or raise a weapon skill to 3 (it will cost you 6 points to raise from 2 to 3, or 10 points to raise from 1 to 3.)

As always, feel free to ask if anything is not clear enough, or if you have a concept for your character, ask my advice on what would be the ways to get there.

Cool, thanks for the help.

So far, thinking of playing a Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain with the Warden calling. His motivation for helping Dale is largely going to be "After one of them killed that damn dragon for us, helping them rebuild their kingdom is the least I can do".

Hmm. Just an update, but currently reserving the right to pick a different calling, now that I've got a means to see the different options in detail.

Sounds good. I got some inspiration this morning for an elven scholar singer lore seeker type, probably from Lorien. Possibly an archer although I can go melee as well. I need to write it up a bit to see if it is the way I want to go and if the character comes together.

Keep in mind, it's better to have a narrower concept, and expand upon it in game
That way, you also learn what works better for you, and will know better what your options are.

Keep in mind, it's better to have a narrower concept, and expand upon it in game
That way, you also learn what works better for you, and will know better what your options are.
This is good advice…I had been tossing around the concept of playing a Barding but I could not picture an actual character or person in my head with a personality.

This morning, I was thinking of the fact that the Elves of Lorien and the Elves of Mirkwood were of the same people and the forests of the two places were of the same forest..and so there is a connection. So my initial thought is a character who serves the Blessed Lady in Lorien, who is related to several elves from Mirkwood who died in the battle of Five Armies. And this character felt their deaths…but he was afraid to go and find out what happened and what was going on, so in grief he waited. But in his grief has a scholar and a singer, he became concerned that they will not have much longer in middle earth and that there are songs and lore that needs to be found and preserved before it is lost forever…and the Lady seeing him in this obsessive grieving with the deaths of his family and long lost friends lingering on him, sends him north to find out what is going on, to process his grief and seek out any lost lore, knowledge, songs and information.

So that is my idea so far…

The attached file contains all the official 1st Edition Heroic Cultures, but I'm still limiting it to the cultures said above. this just might be easier to see the information about the cultures, and the various Rewards and Virtues for each culture.

Attachments

• The One Ring Heroic Cultures.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Name: Wilcky son of Lothi

Culture: Wild Hobbit of the Valley of Anduin Standard of Living: Frugal
Cultural blessing: Shadow-Sight
Calling: Wanderer Shadow weakness: Wandering-madness
Specialities: Beast-lore, Gardener, Folk-lore
Distinctive features: Keen-eyed, Swift
Body: 2 Heart: 6 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 5 Heart (favoured): 8 Wits (favoured): 7

Common Skills