• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

[The One Ring] The Rise of Dale - OOC

Characters
Here
Other
Here
You are, but somehow, it looks like you've spent 12 points. Unless I've made some mistake.
No worries, I am going to remake him a bit more skill focused...and repost.

Can you make a separate thread for character sheets? It would probably be easier than trying to find in them in OOC?

Your (Axes) skill pertains to ALL axes, including the Great Axe. It might be better, if you want to be better with just the Great Axe, to invest the XP in-game, because then, you can spend 10 xp to buy the Great Axe skill to rank 3...
I'm trying to do this in the character builder right now - currently at the spending previous experience section - but I can only bring Great Axe up to rank 2 before it disappears from my options.

I'm trying to do this in the character builder right now - currently at the spending previous experience section - but I can only bring Great Axe up to rank 2 before it disappears from my options.

That's why I said, In-Game XP. Which comes after we start the game.

So basically, I can hold off on putting previous experience into weapons skills at character creation?

You need to spend those 10 Xp from character creation, but once we start playing, you can save up XP, and once you accumulate 10, you can spend them to raise your Great Axe to 3, or to raise your (Axes) to 3, whichever you prefer.

Does it make sense to bring my Awareness and Insight up to 2? I know another PC has the former skill at that rank, and both the other PCs have the latter skill at rank 2.

Does it make sense to bring my Awareness and Insight up to 2? I know another PC has the former skill at that rank, and both the other PCs have the latter skill at rank 2.

If you want to, sure.

Or you can raise other skills that other might not have at 2. Whichever you prefer.
At the end of the day, even what you don't raise now, you'll be able to raise later.

Cool. That should be my character complete then. Can I put him down as having a Great Axe on the sheet at the start?

this is just a funny rant from a guy who has a Bachelors in history...the Elves of Lorian have two options for weapons...the best option is this one:

(Bows) 2, Spear 1, Dagger 1

If you are a trained archer...you have no business learning and also carrying around a SPEAR...that makes absolutely NO SENSE practically or historically...Dagger makes a lot of sense but I think most everyone gets Dagger 1...

Yeah my skinny elf is going to be carrying BOTH a GREAT BOW AND A SPEAR!?!?!? ummm...I do not think so...

I may just end up taking the other option (Sword 2, Bow 1, Dagger 1) particularly with a Barding wielding a Great Bow on our side... ;-)

Rant over.

this is just a funny rant from a guy who has a Bachelors in history...the Elves of Lorian have two options for weapons...the best option is this one:

It's not just them. Bardings have Great Bow and Spear 😁

Ok Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws , I have updated Calanhir on the character page, and added a bit more background. Please take a look at him and let me know what you think.

If you are a trained archer...you have no business learning and also carrying around a SPEAR...that makes absolutely NO SENSE practically or historically...Dagger makes a lot of sense but I think most everyone gets Dagger 1...

Yeah my skinny elf is going to be carrying BOTH a GREAT BOW AND A SPEAR!?!?!? ummm...I do not think so...

I may just end up taking the other option (Sword 2, Bow 1, Dagger 1) particularly with a Barding wielding a Great Bow on our side... ;-)

Rant over.

A bow isn't a melee weapon, while a spear can be used in both melee and be thrown.
Also, according to the rules, for someone to be in Rearward stance (to be able to fire a bow), you need at least two people in Forward, Open and/or Defensive stance (melee stances. And that's needed per archer. So, if two guys want to shoot bows, you need 4 guys, at least, in Melee.
And even then, you cannot fire a bow if you're outnumbered more than 2 to one.

A bow isn't a melee weapon, while a spear can be used in both melee and be thrown.
Also, according to the rules, for someone to be in Rearward stance (to be able to fire a bow), you need at least two people in Forward, Open and/or Defensive stance (melee stances. And that's needed per archer. So, if two guys want to shoot bows, you need 4 guys, at least, in Melee.
Uff, I wonder if they changed that in Second Edition? It seems kind of tedious.

I feel that what Eonivar Eonivar was getting at was that - historically speaking - archers didn't tend to use spears as backup weapons.

Uff, I wonder if they changed that in Second Edition? It seems kind of tedious.
They have not! You need two players in a melee stance to assume a rearward stance though hobbits have a cultural virtue such that they need only one other player in a melee stance to assume rearward.

With that in mind we should probably do some coordination around weapon skills we choose. Currently my character is focusing on a Great Bow but if that doesn't work with our composition I'm open to shuffling. If you want to go the swords route Eionvar that works too.

As far as skills you want to boost at creation my experience from 2nd edition shows that it's nice to have a party that has some different expertise from one another so you can successfully tackle more situations. Also you want to bear in mind what role in journeying you're going to cover!

If you want to go the swords route Eionvar that works too.
I went sword for Calanhir (you can see his build on the character page)...so you are good, the Barding Great Bow abilities are really neat and I am excited to see them in action. I was considering Barding, but I like Tolkien elves...and have always wanted to write/RP/Roleplay one...thus Calanhir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back