• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Monarch and the Thief - 1x1

amplexus

Gasham stands proud with its illustrious ruler; the fifth ruler from the most powerful House in the city. Having ruled for a nearly a decade, the monarch has expanded the empire’s borders, increased the yearly crop yield, married a renowned spouse, won thrice against invading nations, and produced two glorious children.

An initially reluctant and doubted ruler, the monarch has sat strong in their throne.

More than a decade gone, and they still dream of their last night of freedom. That masquerade ball, in which they were engaged to their spouse, in which they were formerly acknowledge as the next ruler, in which they acquired the devotion of every other noble house.

That famous night was distorted by rumour and fable. From the monarch’s memories, they met a snobbish fiancée for the first time, were overwhelmed by both parental pressure and the scoffs of their peers, and spent the night gasping for a drink and praying for an end. They never asked for this; this throne, this spouse, this glory.

That night, there was one unrecognisable guest. Even then, the monarch had a sharp mind, and knew for certain the guest was a stranger who had snuck in. Yet, the stranger had intrigued the future monarch. Late in the night, drunk on wine and dizzy with disdain, the monarch burst from the ballroom into the empty throne room, where they found that strange guest.

The two sparked a wonderful banter, engaged in flimsy flirtation, free from pretence and cordial, and shared a brief kiss. Their momentary solace was interrupted by royal guards. As soon as the monarch turned their head, the stranger had vanished into the shadows.

For years, the monarch secretly fantasised about that night, about that kiss, about that stranger, about that potential: what could have happened if the guards hadn’t interrupted, if they’d followed the stranger, if they had wholly indulged in that fantasy?

The monarch never saw the stranger again. The mysterious guest, the noble from a distant land, the hidden face, was known to no other aristocrat. Of course, their brief search was directed in the wrong corner. For the stranger was no noble.

The stranger was not raised in palaces, but in the streets, was not eloquent but manipulative, was not illustrious, but infamous; they were not a noble, but a thief. They had disguised themselves as a guest that night, intent on stealing the Crown Jewels. But when they had been interrupted by the future monarch, their mission swiftly changed. For years, they lied and told their conspirators that the jewels were impossible to find, that the event was too guarded, that it had been a foolish job.

The thief had no idea why they dared talk to the monarch then. Why they had thought about the monarch, why their name had sent flutters through their chest, why they had eagerly read all their accomplishments. The thief little desired love, but power, riches, fortune. So, slowly, over the course of a decade, that fluttering crush was twisted to a virulent hatred. Why should the nobles sit on thrones so high, for no other reason than their birthright?

Prosperity granted itself to the thief, in time. Soon, their infamy grew from a pest to a bogeyman. They changed from a street urchin to a king of bandits, devious monsters of the night. Never married, with no family and no other love but brandy and ale, the thief was feared by many, Gasham’s aristocrats included.

The thief desired the unjust power of the nobles. The monarch desired to squash out the growing cancer of crime.

Years later, the two meet again.

-Personally, I prefer MxF for this RP. I am ok with either part and either gender. Obviously, I’ve added some personality to both the characters, so if you’d like to change anything about their personality/motivations/history, feel free!

-Advanced Literate! I typically RP third person, past tense. Length depends on how much I have to work with, but you can ask me for a sample if you please. Understand that I might stop the RP if I don’t like your style.

-Understand that I’m very busy, and therefore won’t be able to reply at every moment of the day. If it’ll take me more than two days to reply, I’ll let you know. Right now, I can write one, maybe two replies a day.

-If you don’t think the RP is working out, don’t be afraid to let me know! Then again, this is a matter of preference - we’ve all ghosted.

-I’ve been RPing for about 7+ years, and would prefer someone with several years of experience as well.

-BE 18+. I don’t feel comfortable doing this with someone under 18. No exceptions.

-Private message me if you’re interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back