• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Hallowed Realm: Monster Academy (Monster RP)

How would you prefer we do OOC?

• Discord

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • RPNation

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

WorldWeaver

Dreamer of the Impossible
Welcome to the Hallowed Realm
The Hallowed Realm is a world that exists on the opposite side of our own world, much like two sides of a coin, and here, all manner of monsters and mythlogical creatures exist and live out their lives as their own small societies, such as the Cyclopian Isles and the Vampire kingdom of Valachia, on the Twilight Continent. Werewolves, Harpies, Lamias, Goblins, Minotaurs, you name it. It is a world where fairy tales and mythology are the norm.

The proverbial edge of this coin is the Border Between Worlds (usually just referred to as the Border), a space between the worlds usually impassable by both sides. However, on rare occasions, rifts open up through the Border, and this causes humans or monsters to cross the Border over to the other side.

While the monsters of the Hallowed Realm have gotten along relatively well in the past, there's a new sense of unease growing between the different nations. The Border is growing more and more unstable, making passage between worlds more and more frequent, and earthquakes have also become more common. There are also whispers of a sinister order looking to fulfill a prophecy telling of a great catastrophe in the ancient past; a cataclysm that would be devastating for both the realms of humans and monsters! The Prophecy is as follows:

When the sun goes dark in daylight sky, the first stirs shake the land.
Oceans tremble, valleys quake, mountains turn to sand.
Brother turns on brother, and ally turns to foe,
Upon the first great yawning, joy gives way to woe.
The slumbering king awakens, his rage shall never end,
And the realms of man and monster shall become as one again.

Magic in the Hallowed Realm
Magic is a common thing in the Hallowed Realm, and comes in 3 flavors:

Mystral- Anyone can use this magic with practice and guidance. It draws on the energy between the realms to cast spells that enhance one's physical abilities, summon weapons or aid, transmute matter, and other such fantastical abilities. For those new to this form of magic,

Racial Traits- A vampire's shapeshifting, a dragon's breath attack, a Siren's voice entrancing. These are the natural magics that monsters have the ability to draw on.

Celestial Pact- In the Hallowed Realm, the pantheons of myth and legend are known as the Celestials, tremendously powerful entities that live within the space above the Hallowed Realm, called the Astral Plane. Sometimes, monsters can make pacts with these entities, being granted a special ability so long as they maintain the conditions of their pacts with them. It could be that the power is only accessible during the dawn or dusk. It could be that a certain price must be paid each time. Whatever the condition, it must be followed, lest the pact be broken. When that happens, the best thing that happens is that you simply lose the ability or power granted to you by the pact. But the Celestial whose rule you've broken can inflict a punishment greater still. (Whatever that consequence is, I'll leave for you to decide)

The Citadel Academy
Nestled on the Twilight Continent's coast, in the city-state of Citadel, there is an academy that welcomes all monsters from all nations into its halls. This is the Citadel Academy. And this will act as a sort of Central Hub for all of the RP's adventures. Citadel is a large city, carved out of a mountain by the titan Atlas for his followers to live in. It now acts as a melding pot of cultures and national identities. The academy itself provides dorms for all students coming in from abroad and hosts a wide array of classes and activities throughout the semester, such as the Mytholympics, expeditions to different kingdoms and nations, and other such fun adventures and events!

RP Rules
1) Godmodding and Mary Sue Characters are a strict No-no in my RPs. A character's abilities must be within reason, and they must have some sort of flaws or weaknesses.
2) Do not grief or bully your fellow RPers. Obvious rule, but we're all here to have fun, and I want to make sure that's the case.
3) Romance is permitted between characters, as it's a natural part of life, but keep it at PG-13 at most, please.
4) You may control as many characters as you wish, but I would advise quality over quantity. My suggested max is 3.\
5) You may RP as either a Human who wound up in the Hallowed Realm, or as a monster native to it. However, Celestials will not yet be available to RPers, as they are essentially gods compared to the average monster.
6) Have fun! That's all I want with these RPs.

Addendum, Rule 5.1: You may come up with an original monster kind if you feel inclined, but Rule 1 still applies.

General Information
Character name:
Species: (If Human, be sure to include how they got into the Hallowed Realm in their background)
Homeland: (Feel free to make one up)
Background: (Optional)
Personality: (Optional)
Appearance:

Magic (NOTE: Make sure to describe each spell/ability/trait clearly.)
Racial Traits (No more than two, Monsters Only. Humans who pass through the Border gain only the "Magically Inclined" Trait, which instead allows them access to more Mystra Abilities than Monsters):

Mystral Spells (No more than two to begin with as a Monster. If your character is human, your "Magically Inclined" Trait allows you to learn more Mystra Spells at first; up to four at the first arc, as opposed to the Monsters' 2. Mystra Spells will not be immediately available to the characters, but will be one of the first lessons covered at Citadel Academy, so any power gap is (hopefully) short-lived):

Celestial Pact (If any; available to both Monsters and Humans):

If you have any questions or concerns, @ me and we can go over them. Other than that, I hope you all like the idea and are willing to give it a try.

LINKS
OOC: Fantasy - The Hallowed Realm: Monster Academy OOC
Spells Archive: Fantasy - The Hallowed Realm: Monster Academy Spells Archive
Lore: Fantasy - The Hallowed Realm: Monster Academy Lore
Character Sheets: Fantasy - The Hallowed Realm: Monster Academy Character Sheets
Discord: Join the The Hallowed Realm: Citadel Academy Discord Discord Server!

Last edited:
While you're working on your characters, place your votes in the poll above about how you'd prefer OOC be done. Whichever has the most votes, I'll use for OOC, but I'll try to accommodate for the other side as well.

Is there any post requirement?
As in how long your post is? Let's leave it at a paragraph minimum.

interested ! although if the ooc is on here then i'll have to pull out ^^

Hello,
Are you open to supplying both Discord and a thread for ooc? I can adapt to either.

(interested)

I'm very interested
Interested!
this sounds interesting enough :D
Hello,
Are you open to supplying both Discord and a thread for ooc? I can adapt to either.

(interested)
interested ! although if the ooc is on here then i'll have to pull out ^^
I might join this!
I think I'll join this.
I'd be happy to have you all in the RP! And no worries, I can do both Discord and RPN for OOC stuff. Like I said, I'm willing to accomodate for everyone

This looks interesting. I'm on the same page as Ayama, and prefer ooc threads here rather than Discord. I think it needs to be one or the other instead of both. Using both means people discussing rp related stuff in the ooc thread here will miss possibility important discussion from Discord, unless you plan on keeping the ooc thread updated, which is a lot of work.

This looks interesting. I'm on the same page as Ayama, and prefer ooc threads here rather than Discord. I think it needs to be one or the other instead of both. Using both means people discussing rp related stuff in the ooc thread here will miss possibility important discussion from Discord, unless you plan on keeping the ooc thread updated, which is a lot of work.
I'll do my best, and I'll post a link to the OOC on Discord so that the Discord folk can keep up with what's being discussed here. As for the other way around, I'll add all important change proposals on Discord to the OOC as either a post or a poll. I'll try to keep it updated at least twice a week to make sure no one misses anything.

Added Spell and Lore Archives to register spells and check for anything too OP, and... well, lore.

Here are the two student characters and my teacher character I plan to use as Students in the RP, and I feel as though I should clear some potential questions up:
-You may RP as either a student or as a Professor in Citadel Academy (or both with student and teacher characters). Teachers may start with 4 Mystra Spells as they would naturally be more experienced with magic at the start. Open positons for the latter are as follows: History, P.E., Mystral Arts (Magic), Current Events, Math, Science, Homeroom

-With that said, all students will be attending the same class to encourage intermingling between them and to better keep track of each character's whereabouts.

Character Name: Odyssus
Species: Cyclops
Homeland: Island of Rhegon, Cyclopian Isles

Background: Odyssus is the son of Silas, Warrior-King of Rhegon. However, due to his timidity and unwillingness to fight, others saw him as a disgrace to his kind. Silas, however, simply saw he took after his deceased mother more, and cared for him, not caring what his subjects thought of him for it. One day, when Odyssus was tending to the domesticated animals, he heard a song in the distance. This would be his first meeting with his childhood friend Aria, a Siren from the Cliffs of Cetus, and cursed by Hera with stage fright. At first, Aria simply flew off, but over time, the two of them got closer, especially when Odyssus saved her from a Griffon.

The Cyclopes eventually learned of Aria, and chastised Odyssus for harboring an outsider, despite the young cyclops' protests that she meant no harm. Silas stepped up to defend them, and quickly put the unruly soldiers back in their place by engaging them in battle, reminding them why he was their king. He taught his son that day that compassion wasn't a weakness, but a virtue. He wanted Odyssus to become a great king, not a great warrior. He sent his son to the Mythic Academy with this in mind, as not only would he be learning from some of the Hallowed Realm's finest professors, but he would also be exposed to new cultures and personalities, as a means to test his strength of character. And knowing how close his son and Aria had become, he paid for the siren's tuition as well.

Personality: Odyssus is a gentle, timid, quiet soul with a compassionate heart who isn't fond of confrontation, often trying to avoid starting up or getting into conflicts, and frequently bottling up his emotions like the introvert he is. However, if those he's close to are in harm's way, he'll act without a second thought to keep them safe. He enjoys fishing, writing stories and poems, and reading in his downtime and loves to go on adventures with Aria and his other friends. He's also reliable and loyal, always willing to help those he cares about however he can.

Appearance: Standing at 6'6" with a large and stocky build, Odyssus towers over many of his classmates. He has pale blue skin and a long mane of dark hair (kinda like Raditz from Dragonball Z, but only reaching down to his mid-back). His favorite outfit is a blue greek-style tunic with an ocean wave pattern and gold trimming, along with a pair of sandals. He also has a wide-brimmed straw hat that he wears when fishing to keep the sun off him. Like all other Cyclopes, he only has a single eye in the center of his head

Magic
Racial Traits:

Strength of the Cyclopes- That bulky body and muscle isn't just for show. Like most of his kind, Odyssus is incredibly strong, capable of lifting and tossing boulders twice his size great distances with relative ease.
Thick-Skinned- Cyclopes of the Hallowed Realm have thick, tough skin and bones that make surviving the wildlife and competing monsters like Griffons and Harpies of the Cyclopian Isles a bit more manageable.
Mystra Spells: N/A
Celestial Pact: N/A

Character Name: Aria
Species: Siren
Homeland: Cliffs of Cetus, Azurean Sea

Background: Aria was born on the Cliffs of Cetus, a set of high-rise islands and crags in the Azurean Sea and homeland of the Sirens. To the Sirens, their voice was their mightiest weapon, and they were all proud to flaunt it in various shows, Especially Aria, the proudest among them. One day, the Celestial Hera came to listen to their music for herself, but was displeased by Aria, who's singing was, while beautiful to others, below her standards. Hera gave Aria stage fright, as a means to "prevent this tone-deaf chicken from cursing others with her squaking". A siren's voice was their greatest gift, and without the ability to show off to others anymore, Aria was shunned by her community, and left heartbroken.

After days of endless flying, and seeking out a new home for herself, she landed exhausted and starving on the island of Rhegon, one of the 47 Cyclopian Isles. It was during this time she'd first meet the Cyclops Odyssus. It... didn't go well at first, Aria feeling vulnerable and frightened of this giant and Odyssus being the timid soul he was. But slowly, over time, they grew to at least tolerate each other. And one day, when she was attacked by a Griffon, it was Odyssus who came to her rescue, cementing their friendship. Aria was given a new home in Rhegon, and while she was scorned by the other Cyclopes, who were distrustful of outsiders, she at least had a friend she could be with. And for her, that was enough. Years later, King Silas, ruler of Rhegon, offered them a chance to attend the Mythic Academy in Citadel.

Personality: Upbeat, energetic, and sunny, Aria loves nothing more than to make friends and live life by her own rules, valuing her freedom a lot. She has a hard time sitting still and gets bored easily, but whatever task you put in front of her, she'll do her very best at it! Her favorite past times include soaring through the skies practicing all kinds of stunts and tricks and fishing with Odyssus, surprisingly. However, like most things, she does it her way. Though she has plenty of insecurities about herself, she often prefers to keep them to herself to not worry her friends. She'd much rather suffer in silence and see them happy than to drag down their mood with her problems.

Appearance: You'd probably mistake Aria for a slightly petite human (She stands only at 5'3") at first glance, save for her sky-blue hair (which only grows to her shoulders with the bangs braided aside to keep them out of her hair mid-flight) and golden eyes. But her legs under her knees are more avian, ending in taloned feet with those heel spurs, and she has long, feathery tail plumage coming from her lower back. And her arms have something like a light feather pattern tattooed on them. Her arms transform into her wings when she's ready to take flight, and they sport the same sky-blue color as her hair and tail. She most often wears a form-fitting sleeveless shirt and shorts, as anything too loose can hinder her ability to ride air currents.

Magic:
Racial Traits
:
Wings- Aria's arms transform into her wings, allowing her to fly or glide through the air, using her tail as a rudder.
Siren's Song- Aria's singing contains hypnotic qualities that can be used to hypnotize others. She can no longer sing in front of crowds, however, due to Hera's curse on her
Mystra Spells: N/A
Celestial Pact: N/A

Character Name: Wyzen (epithets include "The Seer", "The Seeker", "The Knowing One")
Species: Lechuzen (Native American Lechuza Owl-Women of Mexican folklore, but just with both genders accounted for)
Homeland: Tempesta Barranco, a city in the kingdom of Tezcali

Background: Wyzen has lived a very long and eventful life, much of which he has spent founding the Citadel Academy and seeking out the truths that lie just out of sight of man and monsterkind. In his twilight years, he now seeks to give the students that come to learn in his academy the best future he can, and to pass his knowledge on to the next generation of the Hallowed realm.

Personality: As you'd expect from someone as old as Wyzen, he is a very wise individual who has a strong sense of insight and foresight. He is also rather empathetic, reaching out to those in need of guidance. However, his willingness to help is limited, as he believes it better for his students to find their own solutions, all the better they are prepared for the day the owl can no longer help them. He might have a very stern tone and gaze, but he is also very patient and understanding. He also has a sense of humor, sometimes messing with his students or his teachers in non-harmful ways to get a chuckle out of his twilight years. He's also an avid astrologist, and his office is decorated with clockwork telescopes and star maps, as well as models of stars and planets.

Appearance: Wyzen's overall build is human-like, though covered in dark brown and tan feathers and with an owl's head (beak and all), wings instead of arms, and below the knees, avian legs. He stands at a lofty 12 feet tall (think Wan Shi Tong in terms of size). When his wings are folded, they resemble a wizard's robe, and his head is adorned with a pair of horned crests. His tail drags on the floor behind him as he walks, and his eyes, though worn with age, still have a piercing gaze that seems to look into your very soul.

Magic
Racial Traits
:
Anatomy- Wyzen's eyes are fixed in his head, but he can swivel his head all the way around like an actual owl. He often does this to spook students that come in to see him for the first time, much to the old owl's amusement. As mentioned before, his wings allow him to fly, and moreso, his motion is absolutely silent while airborne.
Shapeshifting- Wyzen's race can shapeshift into a more humanoid form. When Wyzen does this, he appears as an elderly man with a mane of brown hair with gray streaks, and a long, bushy mustache drooping down his face, while wearing a formal suit and cravat, as well as a brown feather cloak with a cowl in the shape of an owl's head.
Mystra Spells: ???
Celestial Pact: ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back