• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Growing Storm (1906 rp)

Theodore Roosevelt, Eugene V. Debs, and William Jennings Bryan survived, but in the end president-elect Thorstein Bunde Veblen has prevailed.

The Technocrats are in power now.

Theodore Roosevelt, Eugene V. Debs, and William Jennings Bryan survived, but in the end president-elect Thorstein Bunde Veblen has prevailed.

Well... this will be interesting xD

I demand a recount! There's no way this technocratic pansy could beat a bull moose.

Teddy can seek Aslyum in the Sublime State should technocrats decide to purge opponets.

Technocrats could be good or bad depending on how they decide one is competent enough to rule.

If any nation regardless of it's affiliation wishes for the most protective helmets and body armor of WW1, contact Teddy (soon to be Veblen) with an offer and in the next few years we'll be able to deliver. First come, first serve. And yes, the United States really did have the best out of every single participant of the conflict in every category.

Details are available on request.

If any nation regardless of it's affiliation wishes for the most protective helmets and body armor of WW1, contact Teddy (soon to be Veblen) with an offer and in the next few years we'll be able to deliver. First come, first serve. And yes, the United States really did have the best out of every single participant of the conflict in every category.

STAHLHELM OR NONE AT ALL!

Could you expand on how US equipment is superior to all others? Seems a bit of a grandiose claim xP

91st-div-helmet.jpg
Even a Pickelhaube is better than this.

Could you expand on how US equipment is superior to all others? Seems a bit of a grandiose claim xP
German 'lobster' body armor was too heavy and British body armor wasn't good enough, it made movement of the arms and the usage of weapons harder. In general the rest of WW1 body armors were too heavy and only suitable for stationary troops. Helmets were to a large degree with the exception of the Stahlhelm ineffective, but even the United States' (at the time unafraid to look German) borrowed upon the Stahlhelm's design and proceeded to improve upon it.

Meanwhile the United States' designs afforded exactly the same (if not better) protection in a much lighter and maneuverable package. For comparison, German body armor weighed 22-27 pounds, while the United States' weighed about 8 and a half pounds, helmet included, this would be a total of just over 15 pounds to bear.

So United States troops with body armor were much more capable of remaining mobile while protected by it than their counterparts. And with the majority of deaths either caused by artillery or mortars, good armor protection could have saved hundreds of thousands or even millions of lives during WW1.

Most countries didn't care too much about their soldiers enough to equip them with good helmets or body armor. If they did care, they either used poor designs, were unwilling to copy the German helmet, or simply believed that any body armor issued would be taken off or simply was too heavy to remain effective.

The only example of American body armor I've found is the Brewster
20140305+Brewster+Armor+Article.png

Haven't seen any other examples of american body armor, also I don't think any body armor existed at this time? I think we would have to research that?

Also I don't believe the Stahlhelm exists yet, so it would be impossible to be improved upon, it wasn't introduced until 1915. Body armor would def be invaluable but I just don't see how any of our countries would be capable of designing any for years.

Also I don't believe America adopted the Stahlhelm until around 1940.

Haven't seen any other examples of american body armor, also I don't think any body armor existed at this time? I think we would have to research that?

Also I don't believe the Stahlhelm exists yet, so it would be impossible to be improved upon, it wasn't introduced until 1915. Body armor would def be invaluable but I just don't see how any of our countries would be capable of designing any for years.

Body armor existed and was used in combat before. It just wasn't widely militarized. The below is what I'm talking about.

image.jpeg

And as I said before, it would be years until I would be able to complete orders.

Body armor existed and was used in combat before. It just wasn't widely militarized. The below is what I'm talking about.

View attachment 353724
From what I found this armor shown here was still experimental in 1917? I think we should ask the General about body armor, cause it isn't really clear when it was first developed for WW1. Most likely nothing would be available even in very limited numbers until 1915 perhaps

From what I found this armor shown here was still experimental in 1917? I think we should ask the General about body armor, cause it isn't really clear when it was first developed for WW1. Most likely nothing would be available even in very limited numbers until 1915 perhaps
The helmets came later than the body armor itself. And experimental isn't what I would consider something to be that was protecting tens of thousands of the United States' expeditionary forces.

The helmets came later than the body armor itself. And experimental isn't what I would consider something to be that was protecting tens of thousands of the United States' expeditionary forces.
Could I get a link for this then? cause whenever I see a photo of that armor it's called experimental armor produced in 1917

Could I get a link for this then? cause whenever I see a photo of that armor it's called experimental armor produced in 1917
I further research myself soon and properly respond. Honestly, I'm not entirely certain the year itself, but it seems to have reached the mass production and deployment stage in 1917 at least.

I'll like to point out that the technology for body armor and steel helmets was around before the outbreak of WW1 however, and would likewise rapidly develop past it's prewar level should any similar major conflict break out.

I further research myself soon and properly respond. Honestly, I'm not entirely certain the year itself, but it seems to have reached the mass production and deployment stage in 1917 at least.

I'll like to point out that the technology for body armor and steel helmets was around before the outbreak of WW1 however, and would likewise rapidly develop past it's prewar level should any similar major conflict break out.
No I agree that the body armor existed, but the stuff you're talking about, well I think we need general ostruppen general ostruppen to clarify when we can develop that advanced shit.

But even if we do create body armor I doubt it would ever reach full production, maybe for certain brigades or platoons, but that would be at the ass end of the war

No I agree that the body armor existed, but the stuff you're talking about, well I think we need general ostruppen general ostruppen to clarify when we can develop that advanced shit.

But even if we do create body armor I doubt it would ever reach full production, maybe for certain brigades or platoons, but that would be at the ass end of the war
Why can't it? This isn't reality. This is whatever nations under different helms would do in a scenario set in the years before WW1. I believe you've stated something to a similar effect to High Moon, albeit the topic was about ahead-of-time events and reactions to said events.

While more advanced than what is prewar, that's only because WW1 was the first time body armor and steel helmets were deployed within armies on a massive scale. The reason why body armor wasn't used was not because it was too advanced or too expensive, it was just because nobody actually really cared whether or not their soldiers had much protection. Those who did though never often knew the right way to go about protecting their troops.

Rudimentary versions could easily be manufactured and widely issued. Perhaps not more advanced ones until at least a year into a war, more than that in time if it's not a major conflict and there's no general willingness within a country's military to pursue that type of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back