• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Deadlands

"Woah, slow down a bit." Dynis said in a hushed whisper. "I can barely follow you. Okay, first things first, my name is Dynis. You are right, those are my friends down there and I was not planning to leave them for the Nightmare either."

Last edited:
His words trailed off in another inhale, this one slower. "Sorry, it's just we've so little time to deal with this problem," he said. "Ah, my name is Isaac. I'm glad to hear you're the type to care; many would leave them and be done with it." Isaac peered through the crack in the door, lips pursing curiously, before continuing. "General Ezra refuses to help, but he is part of a council of mages that can force him to lower the barrier if the majority votes for it. Though, there are four total, so that means we'll need to get everyone but the General to agree." He sighed. "If the Nightmare consumes your friends, Magdarene can kiss goodbye whatever hopes it has of the creature leaving in a timely manner."

"Any questions so far? If not, I will tell you about the council members. I, ah, tend to ramble, so if at any time you notice that I getting long-winded, please tell me."

- Ask about Isaac
- Ask about the Nightmare
- Ask why the secrecy
- Ask something else
- Let him continue

Dynis did her best to conceal the frustration she felt as she listened to the man ramble. This was typical for men too, you would never hear a woman prattle on without any sense for the other party in the conversation. But, she needed an ally in the city and this Isaac was her best bet, at least it looked like that fro the time being.

"Please continue." She said, forcing a kind smile. "Tell me about the councilors."

"Right. Ah, so, there are four councilors, each one stationed in one of the districts. There's General Ezra, who leads Magdarene's Military & Industrial activities. Then there is Lady Michelle, who runs the markets. Economic genius, that one. The councilors in charge of Residential and Downtown work together; they're twins as well as the youngest of the four. Ah, Lilith and Lyander. They're more casual, too." He glanced towards the door again, yet nobody disturbed them. "I think our best bet would be to start with the twins. Lady Michelle is almost as stubborn as General Ezra, but she might be inclined to vote in our favor if she's under pressure of a deciding vote."

He let out a breath before meeting her eyes again. "And that's that. Lilith is known to shirk her duties, so we might have a harder time finding her... she does frequent the oasis, though, and she's more open to new things than her brother. Lyander rarely leaves the Residential district unless he has to; he'll be easier to locate. There are ups and downs to seeking out either one first."

- Lilith
- Lyander
- Lady Michelle
- Ask something else

"Let's start with Lyander then. You said he'd be easy to locate." Dynis nodded with determination. Politics were not something she thoughts she'd delve into, but there was a first time for everything in the Deadlands it seemed.

31405b6e0799ec6ad0abde2fb8f090ac.jpg

With the two sectors of Magdarene so close, it did not take the two long to enter the Residential area. Another map popped up splitting the residencies into five quadrants: Human, Elven, Dwarven, Orcish, and Other. What that 'other' stood for was a mystery, for all Dynis saw meandering the street they'd stepped onto were races of the prior four categories.

The residential area teemed with greenery and carefully mended potted plants that hung from balconies. The entire thing looked comprised of large apartment complexes. Stairs peppered the streets; no matter where they stood, Dynis could find steps leading several floors high in a winding maze that crossed overhead to different platforms and levels. The entire layout was confusing, almost labyrinthine.

"Lyander is stationed at the Welcome Center but he's rarely there," Isaac explained. "Instead, he's usually walking around. More dedicated to his work than Lilith, but still not one to be cooped up indoors." He then proceeded to describe the councilor; long, dark hair often kept in a tight ponytail with rather high cheekbones and only the faintest of wrinkles to denote his age. "They are the youngest of councilors, but not as young as Lilith tries to depict."

As if on cue, a man looking eerily similar to Isaac's explanation walked past them, nose buried in a book. Either Isaac had been to busy talking to notice, or it wasn't the councilor they were looking for. Before Dynis could do much of anything, he turned down a small street and disappeared.

- Run after the man
- Ask Isaac about him
- Something else

"He just passed by us!" Dynis said, taking Isaac's hand and storming off in the direction the man has gone. Isaac was proving to be more troublesome with each passing moment.

"He what?" Isaac asked as she pulled him opposite of where they originally headed. The two headed down another street that looked exactly the same as the one before. Getting lost in the Residential area seemed easy, so it was good Dynis had Isaac with her. About halfway down she could see the back of the man walking ahead of them. As though sensing them, he slowed and looked over his shoulder as they approached. Quirked a brow and lowered his book.

"Do you need something, you two?" Instead of look irritated for having his reading interrupted, the man genuinely looked concerned.

Up close, he definitely resembled the description Isaac had given. He also wore white like the General had, yet in the shape of a silky uniform instead of robes. Aside from introductions, Dynis could get straight to the point and ask him to help lower the barrier, or she could ease into the topic by making small talk first.

- Introductions
- Have Isaac handle it
- Straight to the point
- Ease into the topic
- Ask about Lilith
- Ask about something else
- Something else

Last edited:
"Hello." Dynis made a slight bow, trying to be as polite as she could. She needed to get on this man's good side if she wanted to progress. "My friend here and I were just talking about how marvellous this barrier is. It must keep the city exceptionally safe. However, I do wonder what is gonna happen with those people stuck on the other side, with nowhere to go." She made a very sad face, sighing.

"We were-" Isaac asked at first, then seemed to catch on mid sentence and improvise, "-debating whether or not the city would sentence them to death. You know, by not letting them inside. I doubt even if they left, now, they'd get far enough to evade the Nightmare, don't you think, Councilor?" Quirked a brow, almost challenging but not enough to be construed that way at first glance. Regardless, his address of the man's title confirmed who he was.

Councilor Lyander pursed his lips thoughtfully. "I doubt they would, yes," he eventually said. Narrowed his eyebrows, then, but there was no heat behind them. "Do not think for a moment I'm ignorant to what you're doing, bringing this up," he said. Isaac tensed beside Dynis. "Unfortunately for you - and, I suppose, those travelers outside - I cannot help. A majority of the city wanted the gates closed to begin with; my job is to hear and protect the people, regardless of what I personally think on the matter."

The councilor seemed adamant, but there sounded an inkling of doubt at the end. Though, Dynis could have been imagining it; Councilor Lyander concealed everything behind an impassive face of stoicism, voice leveled for neutrality. She could take a chance and press the subject, or she could walk away and find another Councilor to recruit. Should she choose to take a chance, Dynis would have to decide what kind of approach might appeal best.

Pointing out the city's selfish vices might work, but it would be a very bold choice; Playing off of the Councilor's emotions by humanizing the people on the other side might work, too, but he might not care about four individuals versus an entire city; likewise, a logical approach, where Dynis explained starving the Nightmare of would would make it, eventually, go away was also a possibility, but the Councilor might rebut with his own logic; and, finally, Dynis could take a daring, wild approach by whatever means she wanted. Be that physically threatening the man or embellishing a story that would interest him, it would be up to her.

- Bold approach
- Emotional approach
- Logical approach
- Wild approach
- Seek out Councilor Lilith
- Seek out Lady Michelle
- Do something else

"Councilor..." Dynis said, her voice stead, yet she was starting to get irritated by the moment. She did not like these prim and proper types, especially when they were men. It was unnatural. He was just a savage behind that mask, she knew it. But, she would play along. He looked to value his intellect and logic the most of all.

"There is a Nightmare on the loose in Deadlands and as far as I've heard it really likes to hunt around Magdarene. And it's not like you or the people of Magdarene are making it any difficult for it to find a proper meal. You leave people stranded out there with no way to go and you are basically training the monster now. It will never leave this city and your people alone. It will grow bolder as it feeds. And when you are stuck inside and unable to get out? Do you think the people will thank you for protecting them? Or do you think that you will be the first one to be thrown out there to appease the monster? I would not take my chances."

The councilor narrowed his eyes at the pair, Dynis specifically, and she could see Isaac stiffen in her peripheral vision. "What then, when the inhabitants of Magdarene erupt in protest at allowing strangers in? That will inevitably happen; word has already spread like fire that someone - presumably, you? - was let inside, even if they are rumored to be of substantial status." Apparently being a Napari Priestess in Magdarene was a good thing, though that could easily be surmised by how the guards had let her in with little fuss. As to why, though, that was unknown.

"Wouldn't you rather them be alive and upset, than dead? I doubt they'll be happy, then," Isaac asked tentatively, glancing between the two of them. "General Ezra won't live forever, and not even his apprentices are as strong a mage as he is. The barrier is only as strong as its creator."

Shifting from decided to weary, the councilor let out a sigh. "I know," he said, "and I'm not saying I personally don't think we should allow outsiders, but..." Lyander looked to Dynis again, appearing tired. Maybe even a little apologetic. "Your friends won't be safe in here; not like you are. There is a sort of... elitism and sense of entitlement, that comes with being a citizen of Magdarene for so long. The people won't take kindly to outsiders."

"Ah... one step at a time, right, Councilor?" Isaac's obvious attempt at lightening the mood seemed to fall flat; Lyander did not smile. Instead, just rubbed his eyes with one hand.

"Assuming you can sway the other councilors, you have my vote. Just know that things might not turn out the way you want them to," he told Dynis. "I will call for a meeting to be held an hour before sundown. That gives you at least half of the day."

Dynis could thank the Councilor and go on her way, or she could try fishing for information while she still had him near.

- Ask about Lady Michelle
- Ask about Councilor Lilith
- Ask about General Ezra
- Ask about the Magdarene people
- Ask something else
- Leave

Those were good news. Dynis was anxious the entire time the councilor spoke and on the verge of interrupting him when he seemed to want to dismiss them. However, it turned out unexpectedly good. Perhaps he was a reasonable man, but who knew if they would have such luck with the rest of them. Asking this councilor about the others would be a good idea, before she faced them.

"Thank you for your support. I am glad we have found an ally in you." Dynis bowed her head slightly, before asking. "Could you tell me something about Councilor Lilith? Where would we find her this time of a day? And providing she is your sister, does she share your views on the situation?"

Lyander nodded. "Councilor Lilith is... flighty, at best? Though around this time, your best bets at finding her are at the oasis." He shifted his book to his other hand so as to point them in the right direction - to the center of the city, then towards a long canal down the street. "Follow the canal and it will take you there." Lowered his hand, clasping it around his book. "Lilith is in charge of the downtown area - meaning festivities, parties, social events, etc. - and she takes the 'fun' part of the job rather seriously. Too seriously, if you ask me." Thrummed his fingers against the book's spine, appearing thoughtful. "She has an interesting relationship with commitment, so her opinion changes with the weather. Best of luck to you." The councilor stepped away, dipping his head in farewell. "Now, if you don't mind..."

Before Isaac could so much as say farewell - which he did too late, his voice fading awkwardly - the councilor had walked away from them, nose back in his book. "Well, that went... surprisingly well!" Isaac bounced back quickly and shot Dynis a smile. "So, should we follow the oasis, or head to the Market district?"

- Councilor Lilith
- Lady Michelle
- Something else

"I know, I didn't expect it either." Dynis smiled back, sharing his enthusiasm for the moment. "Let's go look for Lilth them, perhaps she will see reason like her brother did."

ZnRO4Ix.png

The two headed towards the water and followed it for a solid while until they were stopped by buildings. The only option was to go around them, but it still lead to the same destination: The Oasis of Magdarene. Before them was a body of water far, far larger than any of the ones Dynis had come across in the Deadlands thus far. It looked more like a lake than an actual desert oasis, and she could see to the left of them where the water moved in from the stream they'd followed. Ahead of them was the other half of Magdarene, seemingly on higher ground. Between the two platforms, which weren't much taller than the surface they stood on, the stream continued.

In the water children, young and grown, played. Several adults relaxed on the sandy bank surrounding the water, sipping colorful drinks that almost seemed to... glow? Sparkle? Dynis couldn't tell, but it looked like nothing she'd ever seen before. Unlike the robes and sashes she'd seen on the Magdarene populace before, the ones by the water dressed in bright, skin-tight wraps that varied in style and length. Soft drums and triangle sounds emanated from a stall nearby that served the odd drinks, reverberating around the area oddly for it being so open.

Beside her, Isaac looked around curiously. "It's so crowded," he mused. There were so many people, all with differently colored hair and skin colors, that meandering through the area blindly didn't seem like it would help much. Dynis could still try asking around, regardless, or she could relax a bit like the other inhabitants.

- Ask someone about Lilith
- Go to the drink stall
- Go towards the water
- Find a spot to sit

"Let's go to the drinks stall and see if they have seen Lilith." She said, looking around in wonder. She would have lied if she said she wasn't a little intrigued by the crowd, their colorful appearances and the beverages they drank. A part of her wanted to relax and enjoy the sights, but she knew that the clock was already ticking.

A man and women worked the stall, tirelessly making drinks and passing them off to customers in exchange for coin. Back home, most of all Napari people drank was plain wine or ale, and what mixed drinks they did have - such as sweetened wine with aromatic herbs - looked nothing like what was being served. As Dynis approached, she noticed how the man prepared them with various normal-looking ingredients while, just before handing them off, the woman would wave her hand over the top. The colors would change, suddenly begin glowing, and the consistency thickened seemingly considerably. Having caught the woman's eye, Dynis found herself beckoned closer. Leaning against the counter, the woman tilted her head, a grin gracing her lips almost daringly.

"I've never seen you before," she said. Nudged the man beside her, who looked up from his drink mixing with curiosity lifting his brows.

Isaac smiled sheepishly. "Uh, yes, she's new..."

"New new? From the outside?" The man looked her up and down, eyes lingering blatantly on the stains of her robe. "You look like you need a drink, Priestess."

The woman nodded. "Three silver for something regular - still strong, mind you - but add in an enchantment and it's six. Though... you don't strike me as much of a drinker." Her grin only widened, this time tauntingly.

Dynis could order something, or she could keep things professional and ask about Lilith. The prices were far lower than expected of such an opulent city.

- Ask about Lilith
- Ask about prices
(Optional): Order a regular drink
(Optional): Order an enchanted drink

Last edited:
"I'd like a regular drink, thank you." Dynis ordered, not wanting to risk with an enchanted one in case it makes her feel fuzzy. However, she was starting to feel thirsty and could not deny that she wanted to try a drink. Besides, while she waited for it to be ready, she could ask her questions. "Have you seen Councilor Lilith around here, maybe?"

The woman pouted, but the man beside her looked approving. "Enchanted drinks are fun and all, until they wear off. Smart decision." He began mixing her a drink before handing it across the surface in exchange for three coins. The drink tasted sweet and smelled not unlike dessert. "Honeyed wine with elderberry. Hope you like it."

Next, the woman spoke. "Hmm, the councilor?" Exchanged glances with her coworker, who had started preparing a drink for Isaac. "I think I saw her an hour or so ago. Whether she's still around is up for debate, but..."

"Wait, wasn't she going to play today?" The man quirked a brow before handing another translucent cup across the counter.

Clapping her hands together, the woman brightened. "Right! Oh, it'll be a treat. Always is," she said. "Not sure where she'll be for that, though. Just keep an ear out for music."

At that, Isaac glanced towards Dynis. "Lilith is a mage, but she specializes in music. Works illusions. We should find her before she starts playing her instrument."

Dynis could try one of her earlier options, or she could suggest splitting up to cover more ground - an optional choice. Likewise, she could try to draw Lilith to her by creating a scene.

- Find a spot to sit
- Go to the water
- Look through the crowd
- Create a scene
(Optional): Split up

Last edited:
Dynis took a sip of the drink, too distracted by the happening to dwell on the taste. She pondered her option. They were not getting much closer to finding Lilith. She did not want to draw more attention than she already did, deciding to stay low in their search. Perhaps the best option at the moment would be to look around, judge where the crowd was thickest and hope that they had gathered around Lilith to hear her play.

"Let's look around. Stay close. I'd have a hard time finding my place around here if we get separated." She said to Isaac and with the drink in hand set out to explore.

Nodding, Isaac fell into step beside her. The two pushed through the crowd best they could, but as they did so, the sea of people seemed to swallow them whole. Someone bumped into Isaac, causing him to spill his drink and sputter a quiet curse. After minutes that felt far longer than they were of fruitless searching, the crowd began to shift. Eventually, people were all moving in the same direction, pulling Dynis and Isaac along whether they wanted to follow the tide or not. At one point, Dynis found herself calf-deep in water, which soaked through her robes and poured over the top of her boots to drown her feet.

They heard Lilith before they saw her. An upbeat strummed tune that seemed to come from every direction at once reverberated in Dynis' bones. It made her skin tingle with an itch to... dance? The desire to follow the beat did not feel normal; rather, the more she stood still, the more anxiety began to blossom in her chest. When she did move, even if it was an idle tap of her foot, a euphoric sense washed over her not unlike that of healing magic. The feeling only grew stronger as they moved with the crowd, presumably towards the music's source.

Dynis could feel all her worries slowly slipping away. Beside her, a stranger pulled Isaac into a group dance.

- Follow the crowd to Lilith
- Join the group dance
- Pull Isaac away
- Try to leave the crowd

While the song was beautiful, it was eerily hypnotising and Dynis did not appreciate that. She reached for Isaac's hand, to pull him out of the crowd and toward the sound of music. They did not need any more distractions.

While he slipped away from the group dance, Isaac did not quite follow her so readily. Instead, he spun Dynis in a circle to the tune. His eyes seemed unfocused, yet there appeared a certain strain to them, like Isaac was fighting the control of the music. Or, trying to, at least; he did not appear so fruitful in his attempt, as he had yet to stop dancing. "Drink..." he said, voice terse despite the smile he wore. Upon his mention of it, Dynis would realize his cup entirely had been lost to the crowd. "...Stall."

Whatever remained of his will to fight Lilith's magic vanished; Isaac spun Dynis back to him, the two closer than they had before, and attempted to guide her in step with the music. The longer Dynis ignored the desire to dance, the more anxiety welled inside her chest. Dynis felt short of breath - almost as if she were suffocating under the weight of not dancing. Magic prodded at the edges of her mind, demanding entrance. With each moment she ignored it, the more furious it would become.

She could venture towards Lilith on her own and hope to meet up with Isaac later - presumably at the drink stall he mentioned - or she could try to leave. Isaac did not look like he was going anywhere. Or, if she wanted, she could give up and let the music overwhelm her.

- Go towards Lilith
- Leave the crowd
- Dance with Isaac

"Fine, fine." Dynis said, wiggling out of his grasp. She might have been swayed to dance at some different time, but this was just driving her insane. Whatever Lilith was doing needed to stop, so Dynis made every effort to close the distance up to the councillor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back