• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Deadlands

Cartoonicat

Future Crazy Cat Lady
desert_village_by_crs1009-d5zij53.jpg

Dynis's Equipment:
Ten (10) silver coins
A pair of Helen's clothes
A pair of boots and a cloak
Napari pilgrimage stave
Napari pilgrimage robes (bloodstained)
Napari Holy Book
Elise's letter
A dagger
A bedroll
Sunbalm
Basic tarp kit
Two (2) flint stones
Thread and needle
Three (3) medical poultices
Two (2) containers of bandages
A water-skin (full) and a meal container (3 servings)
Kailu's Book Of the Summoners & the Dead
Four (4) invisibility potions
An unmarked potion
A golden scroll​

Three day's worth of uneventful travel into the Deadlands, Dynis came across the first town she'd seen since starting her journey. The worn wooden signs out front, half-covered in sand, had called it "Verona." It was small, recessed into a pit of sandstone, but bustling with life. Even from the top of the ramp Dynis could hear the ruckus of the inhabitants, see flashes of the colorful garb they wore. She would surely stick out in her traditional white and gold priestess ensemble - the ways of the Napari people were not dominant here.

Why the High Mother had chosen the Deadlands to reside in over a thousand years ago was unknown to Dynis - or, really, anyone who was not part of the Motherhood. The revered High Mother, rumored to be immortal and wielding power of a supreme goddess, had long since left the forest of Napari behind. Nobody but those in the Motherhood had ever seen her, and Dynis only knew the phrase: "Mother guide you." Elise had not included a drawn description of the High Mother in her letter, though she was supposedly always surrounded by children.

As Dynis stepped down the slope into the village the guards, both of whom were men, eyed her warily. She was an unfamiliar face - a stranger - though they did not stop her. Perhaps they'd become accustomed to Napari priestesses treading on their territory. After walking for so long in the sand Dynis could feel the gritty particles filling her shoes. She also had a fair bit of sunburn on her nose, and the water-skin she'd brought from home had emptied an hour ago along with her last meal that morning. She would have to replenish her supplies and rest before leaving, whenever that would be. Acquiring information about Elise's contact and the location of High Mother was also a top priority.

Slowing to a stop several feet past the guards, Dynis found herself at a fork in the road. To her left stood a vast amphitheater - perhaps an arena of sorts. To her right, a busy oasis filled with sparkling water and surrounded by the first pieces of green Dynis had seen in the Deadlands thus far. And, lastly, straight in front of her draped rows of canopies overhanging what looked to be a market.

- Go to the arena.
- Go to the oasis.
- Go to the marketplace.

Last edited:
She felt the sun beating down on her ever since she left her home. Being shelter inside that forest for all of her life did nothing good to keep her skin even slightly immune to the effect of treacherous sun outside of the borders. Even when she was still inside the safe zone, she felt more tired than ever, more exposed. A realisation hit her as she looked upon the gates of Verona - this journey is going to be the most important and most difficult thing in her life. She also made a quick mental note to buy a balm to use as protection from the rays, if they were this bad here, so close to he oasis, then she could not even imagine what the sun would do her out there.

The first shock that Dynis experienced on her journey happened when she strode up the gates. Both of the guards were men. That was something she had not seen in her entire life. They let men hold weapons here? They let them defend the people of the city? She wrinkled her nose, scanning the man with a disgusted grimace. She would never lay her own life in the hands of a man. It was common knowledge that they were incapable of any proper combat or magic. The people in this city were barbarians, she decided passing through the gates. Better not to voice her concerns aloud just yet. Even though they were barbarians, they outnumbered her. And Dynis wasn't stupid.

As soon as she spotted a market, her feet dragged her to it. She needed to get supplies and she needed to ask about, order to find her contact. What better place for that than a market. She also wished to go to the oasis in order to fill up her water flask, but she decided she will do it once she explored through the market. There was some strength left in her yes, and her nose was starting to itch something awful. She was never at her best when she was irritated by something.

47441576_william_james_muller.jpg

Stepping into the marketplace, Dynis found it simultaneously louder than the gates and also quite worn-down. In presumable effort to keep out the sun, a crumbling roof of wood sat overhead. There were gaps here and there, allowing some light to filter through, but the canopies did well enough as a remedy of that. Still, it didn't look too safe to walk under, though the locals didn't seem to mind at all. Men and women of equal numbers worked their sales with booming, charismatic voices. Most items sat on the ground, displayed against intricate but unravelling rugs. Others, like foodstuffs, remained in the few carts above the sandy floor.

"Fresh fruits and vegetables!" One woman advertised.

Then, a man further down the way: "Weapons. Protect yourself with the finest weapons in Southern Deadlands!"

A gangly, old woman reached out. Her fingers ghosted against Dynis' ankle. "Care to hear your fortune...?"

"Wilderness supplies, here!" Another man waved his arms, vying for attention. "Waterskins, bedrolls, sunbalm... all the very best!"

"Darling," a well-dressed lady appeared beside her, holding swaths of fabric, "you look like a sore thumb, dressed like that. Let me fix you up, yes? Only fifteen silver for two colors, and an additional three silver for each extra color. A bargain!"

Wherever she walked, it seemed merchants flocked to her. If one disappeared, two more would take their place. Incessant, money-hungry, and suave with their words and purchase promises.

- Produce vendor
- Weapons vendor
- Fortune-teller
- Wilderness supply vendor
- Tailor
- Leave

Last edited:
'Sunbalm' was all that Dynis heard. Her ears perked up and she immediately went in the direction of the Wilderness Supplier. She knew that she would need other supplies, perhaps if the prices were reasonable enough she could pick out an extra water skin or a bedroll. But that balm she desperately needed.

When the tailor addressed her, she just gave a slight shake of the head. Perhaps the people had looked at her oddly due to her clothes, but she also knew that wearing white was the best option in a desert. It attracted the least light and she would be much easier to spot in the middle of the desert in a dark outfit. No, she would stick with her robes, they were comfortable enough so far. Weapons she did not need as well, considering she was gifted with a staff and although she knew that it was not supposed to serve as a weapon, she was sure to use it as one. She did not have much knowledge of bows or steel and a staff would be quite efficient should she need to trip someone up or whack him hard enough. She would really not like to see blood on her white robes, so she would stay away from sharp weapons.

Approaching the merchant she nodded in greeting. "Good day. Sunbalm you said. How much is it? And the bedrolls as well?"

The merchant, a stocky man with broad shoulders and braids woven through his hair, beamed at her. "Yes! Sunbalm, bedrolls, as well as everything you'll need for a journey through the desert. Sunbalm alone is five silver, the bedroll fifteen."

He looked her up and down, then. Scratched his chin. "You're one of them Napari priestesses? Erm, in training or whatever it is. Seen plenty of those before you. Admirable women, they were - hope they managed out there..." Shaking his head, he cleared his throat. "Anyway! I can offer you a bundle of supplies that I have offered your... what do you call them, Sisters? Sisters." He stepped aside, allowing her a better look of the wares.

"It would include sunbalm, a bedroll, a small case of bandages, two flint stones, and a basic tarp kit for shade," he said. "Twenty-five silver for a thirty-silver bundle. What say you?"

A bedroll would be cumbersome to carry on her back, but it'd offer decent rest and keep Dynis from waking up with sand in uncomfortable places. The bandages may likely come in handy for possible injuries, and the sunbalm would help protect and soothe her burnt skin. If she wanted to make fire, Dynis would need flint stones - unless she learned how to wield fire magic. A tarp would also help keep the sun away if she needed to stop during the day, though one as small as the merchant was offering likely wouldn't doo much against a sand or thunderstorm. She could either buy the bundle or purchase whatever combination of supplies she wanted. Or, Dynis could simply not buy anything at all.

- Buy the bundle (25 silver)
- Buy the sunbalm (5 silver)
- Buy the bedroll (15 silver)
- Buy the bandages (3 silver)
- Buy the flint stones (2 silver)
- Buy the tarp (5 silver)
- Don't buy anything

Buying everything altogether seemed to be the better option. Or at least a cheaper one. If she found it too cumbersome, she could always sell it away somewhere, or just get rid of the bigger items if it comes to that.

"I'll take the whole lot." She answered, giving the merchant what he asked for. "Thank you." She nodded. After she tied the new items on the pack or put some of the smaller ones inside, Dynis decided to ask the man one more question. He seemed to know the others that have passed this way before her after all. "The Sisters that came before me. Did they say anything specific about where they were headed? Do you know if they ever visited anyone in Verona?"

"Fantastic!" He clapped his hands together, big smile returning. After exchanging goods for payment, he scratched his bearded chin, thoughtful. "I don't know where they were headed, 'cept that they needed to find their mother. Erm, your mother. A mother? Ah, I don't know much 'bout that... But I do know who some of them came in contact with."

The man nodded in the direction of the oasis. "My daughter, Korine, became friends with one of them 'bout two years ago. She'd know more than me." Then, he gestured towards the arena. "Likewise, there's this boy - says he's a man but that lad is nothing more than a child, if you ask me - constantly lurking around the arena. Pestered the last girl nearly to her wits end, something about getting him into the arena in exchange for a bodyguard." He snorted derisively, clearly in distaste.

Two potential sources of information. Perhaps Korine or the arena boy would know something more.

- Find Korine
- Find the arena boy
- Continue shopping

The man was surprisingly useful. She really did not expect that, him being a man and all. "Thank you, you've been of much help. I'll seek out your daughter." She nodded and went toward the oasis. Along the way she took out the sun balm and spread a thin layer on her nose and forehead, just to see if it actually works. The notion to seek out the man that was pestering her Sisters did not even occur to her at that point. Perhaps later, if only to beat some sense into him.

818a0fbbbeeb979058601d301cb48d76.jpg

The sun balm tingled her skin on contact, like pure mint on the tongue, followed by a soothing sensation. Dynis could feel the sting of sunburn start to ebb away, if only slowly. A relief, considering only half of the oasis in Verona was shaded. From what Dynis could see the water level lessened the further out the oasis stretched, leading to a shaded cave filled with chattering people - mostly elders. Young and middle-aged women gathered around the banks, filling clay jugs with water, while children of varying ages and heights played tag in the sand.

Dynis knew Korine was there somewhere, but she didn't know what she looked like at all. Her best bet would be to ask around. She could also fill her water-skin while she was there, since she'd need to stay hydrated in the desert heat.

- Ask the elders
- Ask the women
- Ask the children
- Fill the water-skin
- Do something else

A small smile spread across her face as she felt the tingling sensation on her skin. The balm was working, that was a good thing. Scanning the surroundings Dynis first took her water skin to fill it with the fairly fresh water if the oasis. This gave her a chance to talk to the women gathered there at the same time.

"Good day." She said, politely, though also smiling reassuringly. She knew that she came out as too serious at times. "Do you perhaps know where I might find Korine? Her father sent me."

507956646b7065ea0f4970aab53d1264.png
At the mention of Korine, several of the women smiled warmly. One, a bit older than the rest, stood straight and gave her a nod. "Korine is my daughter," she said, eying Dynis up and down in the same way the Korine's father had. She looked over her shoulder at the group of children, now piling on top of a larger, squirming body. "Korine, get up off the ground! That's enough, children!"

As if on cue, the children all climbed off of Korine with sheepish smiles. One little girl in particular glanced at Dynis curiously before running off with their friends.

"Hah, sorry, sorry," Korine stood, brushing herself off. While a girl of short stature, she looked to be around the same age as Dynis - if not a little more baby-faced. Walking over, Korine gave Dynis a smile. The beads in her hair jingled with each step and, beneath the sun, her warm brown hair shone almost red. "A Napari priestess, huh? Got a feelin' I know what this is 'bout... First thing's first, though!" She held out a hand. "I'm Korine. You are?"

With a dip of her head, her mother went back to collecting water.

- Introduce yourself
- Get straight to the point
- Say something else

Last edited:
Dynis watched in surprise as Korine disentangled from the childer and walked up to her to introduce herself. She couldn't say that she did not excpect someone more professional looking. But, she did not take it against her. Instead she smiled back and took her hand happily.

"I'm Dynis. A pleasure." After a slight pause she got straight to the point. "Your father told me you are the person to ask about the Sisters that passed through Verona?" She might have been Mother Elise's contact even, but she guessed the girl would say so at the mention of her name.

Korine hummed, listening. Then she nodded. "I knew one of 'em well. Cecily came through here two years ago. Stayed with my family for a few nights before leavin'. Returned once or twice with fun little trinkets and jewelry," she motioned to the beads in her hair. Her smile faltered a bit. "The last time she was here, Cecily said she was movin' on with her journey. Headed North, towards the town of Junip. Said she'd write but, 'course, she never did..."

The name Cecily was a familiar one, though not because she and Dynis were friends. The girl had been a loner back in Napari - nearly shunned for her abnormal behavior and beliefs. Went off on tangents demanding equality for men and women, as well as insisted Sisters have a choice whether to go through their pilgrimage or not. Needless to say, a good majority of the Napari women were glad to see her go; even more so when, after two years, she hadn't returned. An eccentric one, that Cecily.

- Ask more about Cecily
- Ask about the town of Junip
- Ask something else
- Go find the arena boy

Dynis nodded, listening to Korine speak. She knew Cecily, though not very well. She did not share her opinion, it was not a very popular one. She could almost shudder at the thought of men in Napari having the equal treatment as women, it would turn to anarchy soon enough. Men were not known for having any control over their impulses, they had to be kept on a short leash.

"Thank you. How far away is Junip?" She asked, just to get the basic orientation. She already judged that Mother Elise did not have this girl in mind as her contract, otherwise she would have said something already, but just in case, she added another question. "Are you familiar with Mother Elise maybe?"

"Mmm, on foot? 'Bout two days, if you're quick. At least, that's what people tell me." Korine rolled her eyes with a huff, "Never left Verona. 'It's too dangerous' they say, but I don't care..." She complained shamelessly, voice trailing off. She quirked a brow when asked about Mother Elise. Tapped her chin thoughtfully. "The name rings a bell... maybe?"

From the water bank, Korine's mother answered smoothly. "If it is the Elise I am thinking of, I met her on her pilgrimage twelve-something years ago. Silver hair - or was it blonde, perhaps? So long ago..." She stood up straight. "Good girl, she was, though I haven't heard from her since. Glad to hear she ended up safe. Suppose that wild boy turned out to know his stuff."

"Ooh, the wild boy!" Korine perked up. "I remember him. Don't much remember Elise, though. He was a funny one - always so serious for a child. Never wanted to play. I couldn't believe-"

"Korine, you are digressing," her mother shook her head. Korine just smiled, albeit sheepishly. Looking back to Dynis, Korine's mother shrugged lightly. "I wish we could tell you more, but that is all we know of Elise. As for the boy, whoever he was... we have not seen him since, either. Many years have passed since then - he might not even be alive."

So far everyone Dynis had spoken to had been welcoming and helpful, not to mention from the same family. Having walked all morning, the sun would be setting soon and she'd need a place to stay. Since Korine's family housed Cecily it was possible they might do the same for Dynis, though she still knew very little about them and their intentions. She could also ask about a local inn - perhaps they knew of a cheap one within town. Or she could leave without asking anything else.

- Ask to stay with them
- Ask about an inn
- Ask something else
- Say farewell

"Yes. That's Mother Elise. Silver hair, fair skin. Terribly polite." Dynis nodded, her smile turning into a grin. So these people did know her, but they weren't her contacts. She was a little disappointed with the notion, but thought she might try to explore further tomorrow. It was only her first week.

"Thank you for everything you've shared." She spoke again. "One last thing, Korine, do you know of a good inn in the city? I need a bed and a meal for the night." She decided not to ask anything further about the boy Mother had with her on her journey. By their story it looked like he showed her the way. But she never once spoke of him. Besides, a man, leading a Napari Sister? She could feel her nose wrinkling in disgust at the mere thought. No, they must have made a mistake.

Last edited:
Korine's mother smiled, the corners of her eyes wrinkling. She nodded in welcome before returning to her task. Meanwhile Korine let out a low "Umm..." and cocked a hip, deep in thought. Then she straightened, clapping her hands together in much the same way her father had earlier. "Ooh, yes! I've got just the place for you. Round the back of the marketplace, just before the residential area, is a cozy li'l spot called The Copper Reed," she snorted at the name with an eye roll. "It's a good place but overpriced. You can whittle the keep down, though; just keep pressin' 'til Parish cuts you a deal."

There were only a few minutes of daylight left - at best half an hour - but Dynis could still explore if she wanted to. The town had seemed safe enough during the day, but it could be a different story once night fell.

- Go to The Copper Reed inn
- Go to the arena
- Revisit the marketplace
- Do something else

The safest thing for Dynis at that point was to go straight for the inn and haggle the price down. She had enough time to explore come the morning. She thanked Korine once again and then set off in the specified direction, hoping that the evening will not catch her on the streets. She did not know much about Verona, but she had heard enough warning about the communities outside of the Napari. At her best, Dynis was not the most trusting person. She did not want to take any unnecessary risks.

cba6491f79396d22ca43910c3d05972f.jpg

Following Korine's directions, Dynis found herself inside the relatively quiet Copper Reed inn. Looking around, she hardly saw any tenants: A man, counting coins in the far corner table; a cat, that which greeted her with a mewl; two heavily decorated women, chatting quietly over a shared plate of charred meat; and a male innkeep, staring directly at Dynis from across the bar.

For a town so busy, the inn Korine suggested seemed practically barren.

- Talk to the innkeep, Parish
- Talk to the two women
- Talk to the man in the corner
- Pet the cat

Dynis strode with purpose, directly toward the bar, stopping in front of it, and putting her staff down to lean on the surface. "Good evening." She greeted the innkeeper, mustering the best of the smiles she had in her repertoire. Now, Dynis might not have necessarily liked men all that much, but it was not to say that she did not have any experience with that. In fact, she did, more than she would care to admit. Because she simply found them far easier to manipulate than women. Hoping that some of her experience would be put to good use here, she made sure to lean slightly on the counter, fiddling with the top of her robes, undoing the first button, like she felt too warm. "I was told you have a bed and a warm meal available?"

The innkeep's eyes flicked downwards briefly, before meeting her eyes with a rosy tint to his plump, tanned cheeks. Like most of the people in town, he wore braids in his hair and donned brightly colored clothing - though it appeared, what with the gold embellishments on his sleeves and collar, that he made quite a bit of money. He cleared his throat. Nodded. "I do. One night's stay, meal included, is eight silver. Breakfast makes it ten, but is optional."

Korine hadn't been kidding when she said it was pricy. One night alone, excluding breakfast, cost half of what her bedroll had. There was no question as to why the inn was so bare; the prices were absurd.

- Haggle for a lower price
- Buy one night, no breakfast
- Buy one night, with breakfast
- Find another place to stay

Well, the inn was very expensive, but at least her tactic seemed to work, somewhat. Dynis leaned over further, giving the innkeeper a sultry look beneath her eyelashes. "Oh, that is far out of my budget." She spoke, giving a downward tug to her lips. "But, I would so like to stay at such a well known establishment. Is there any room for alteration of the prices, please? I would only like a meal for the night and a decent bed to sleep in. I really don't want to have to go out in the streets now that it is dark outside."

Licking his lips, the innkeep's eyes flicked downwards again. This time, the look lingered just a hair longer than before. "You-..." He shook his head. Grabbed a rag and started wiping down the counters, visibly flustered. "Six for a bed and a meal, because I'm feeling generous. Take it or leave it."

Six silver was still pricy, though the establishment was nice. Clean, warm despite the quickly chilling desert night, and quiet. Dynis could try haggling the price lower, if she wanted, or she could take the deal as is. Currently, she had twenty-five silver left to use.

- Insist on a lower price
- Accept the deal
- Find somewhere else

She was afraid that if she continued with her flirty haggling, the man might think she actually wanted to compensate in another way, as men are wont to do. And she did not want to have to break an arm or two on her very first day in a town away from home. So she stopped at that slightly lowered price. It was enough to let her feel accomplished.

"Thank you." She beamed up at him, smiling. "I'll take it. Can I get dinner first?" She asked, then looked over her shoulder to the other people in the establishment. She had a hunch that none of them were up to no good. Though she was very curious about the man with the coins. Despite him being a man and all. She would take a table close by to eat her meal. Perhaps she could get a couple more bits of information for the night.

He nodded quickly, taking the coins. "Dinner tonight is leg of goat roast. Prickly pears on the side," he said, heading to the back. Within a few short moments, he returned with a plate covered with long strips of charred meat, accompanied by several skinned cactus pads. Slid it across the counter to her. "You'll be in the third room upstairs. Enjoy your stay."

Taking a seat near the man counting coins, Dynis could hear him grumbling. Though, about what, she couldn't be sure. All she heard in clarity were the words "scorpions" and "chickenshits."

- Try talking to the man
- Eat dinner in silence
- Do something else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back