Experiences Tell a moment in your RP that was so sad, you literally cried IRL

Msy

I have been role-playing on and off for about 8 years and have yet to experience a moment like this in my role-plays. I'm curious to see if anybody has experienced something like this in one of their role plays.

Oh man, definitely!

I guess the moment that first comes to mind is when very emotional OC considered herself not good enough for her very first love and boyfriend. She broke up with him, and they both broke down before she stormed off. It's very summarized, but it was heart-breaking. We both cried. O-oops.

when my character turned out to have a better life than me no matter what the IC threw at him and I realized haha ur a loser

I'm absolutely heartless. You really need to try to get me crying. I haven't had any moments like that.

I remember one part. This was near the end of one of my first rps in my life.

There was my character, a character who she basically treated as a father figure (important detail - they heavily depended on each other, though she did so more than he did), then the evil guy.

The evil guy had a plan in place, and disguised as the father figure she had grown so close to. It is written that a second copy came from the stairs, while the first was behind my character.

I was also young myself when this happened, so without rationally thinking, I had her attack the one that came from the stairs. That was the real one.

He died from that attack, but she lived to tell the tale after the evil guy met his end. The disguised evil guy was with her the whole time since the start of the final segment, and he only revealed himself 'after' the real one died.

Last edited:
My character was an exorcist who fought demons until he eventually was killed by one (the actual RP plot is in the afterlife).

Two instances had me in tears writing: when he finds out a fellow colleague from his former party got turned into a demon after getting killed on a mission (it was the only teammate he wasn't able to protect) and my character's family's mourning - he visits them as a ghost but only his mother can perceive him. His father is a hardened man who hardly lets himself acknowledge any feelings, much less mourn openly. Writing that scene certainly hit close to home.

I remember someone I was roleplaying with killed off one of their characters to create a mystery in the plot, and the entire group had no idea it was gonna happen, came totally out of left field. Literally everyone both in and out of character loved that guy, 'cause he was such a great character, so we were all e x t r e m e l y devastated and emotional while the player was just laughing his ass off about it-

Omg i have a story actually but that one is honestly triggering. The romantic partner of my character just randomly got raped and unfortunately the roleplayer went just a bit too much in details. And honestly, I just started imagining irl. Idk if you guys have that but I often visualize the roleplay while going to bed or something, and that post after i reD it. I just stayed quiet for a bit and then burst out crying cause it was traumatizing

I have mostly cried because of happy things in my past RPs.

My favorite one is when I wrote my characters wedding vows. I had most of the group crying as well.

i had an rp where i've cried before.

my character and another, mine living on the streets and the other an ex-child celebrity ran off from their home city of Los Flamingos, an L.A. parody city. They fled far off to another city after secluding themselves hours after participating in a bank heist and were in hiding. the cops found them and they ran off in the rain before the two boys got caught.

my character shoved the other boy through a building to run away before being shot to death, and he surviving boy held off on his boyfriend's dead body before committing suicide after writing down the whole story in his phone. That was the end, and i cried so hard for no reasonable reason.

There were several times when characters talked about all the things they'd been through that brought me to tears, usually in a deep talk with another character. Another time was when a character was violently attacked and nearly killed in front of their family, and the chaos that followed after that. They survived, thankfully. It can't really be summarized too well in a couple of sentences, but, it was a powerful and rather heartbreaking scene, especially in the moments that followed after the attack.

I don't think I've ever cried during an RP. At least not that I can recall...?
I've gotten emotional in other ways (like overly excited or tense) but I can't remember crying. I dunno if that means I'm missing out on something lol

One of my characters had a full stack of diamonds and got pushed into lava and died. It was so sad I still cri everytiem

It is a current RP for me, but just recently two of the characters who have been building a bond and becoming best friends had to split semi-permanently. We both cried as we wrote their last few posts together. They had both just grown so much as people alongside one another and seeing them split to finish their own journeys... ;-;

Mine was in an RP when I was a child, and my character was on their death bed, and her friends and lover were crying and talking to her, even singing her favorite songs. Since my character was 10 years old, it was even sadder to me. I cried as if I had actually died. Now looking back on it, the scene was kinda extra. Nonetheless it was a sad scene.

Alright, I changed my mind. Recently a post DID make me cry.

In a roleplay I’m still currently in (a fandom crossover), there was a bit where basically the main villain filled the room with a substance that would kill everyone but him. There were a lot of sad posts of all of the characters reminiscing about good times and slowly dying, but the one that really did it for me was one of such posts where Rin and Len (vocaloids), were speaking in Japanese with each other and Rin asked Len to sing her one final song. It was fucking heart wrenching and even heartless little me broke down.

Look Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun , you made me cry!

Alright, I changed my mind. Recently a post DID make me cry.

In a roleplay I’m still currently in (a fandom crossover), there was a bit where basically the main villain filled the room with a substance that would kill everyone but him. There were a lot of sad posts of all of the characters reminiscing about good times and slowly dying, but the one that really did it for me was one of such posts where Rin and Len (vocaloids), were speaking in Japanese with each other and Rin asked Len to sing her one final song. It was fucking heart wrenching and even heartless little me broke down.

Look Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun , you made me cry!
I'm glad to know I did my job right XD Look, if I must suffer, you'll all gonna suffer with me... (My poor kiddos)

For me, it was AEGIS, it's a superhero academy RP and the bad guys were religious zealots that believed the supers were demons. So they attacked the school and things got really crazy, then one of them decided to launch incendiary bullets at a ship that was approaching. Manami's parents' boat. Where they had a bunch of fireworks to celebrate her graduation at the facility with.

It all goes up in flames. There's a lot of pretty fireworks and at first, she's really excited. Then she catches sight of the boat and realizes what was going on. OMG MY HEART, that poor poor girl had just lost both her boat-home and her loving adoptive parents and I, couldn't even like the post because it felt cruel. And my character that is her best friend, couldn't do more than offer silent support for her and I just...

Gus Gus , *sobs* your precious girl deserved better!!!! QAQ

Last edited:
I'm glad to know I did my job right XD Look, if I must suffer, you'll all gonna suffer with me... (My poor kiddos)

For me, it was AEGIS, it's a superhero academy RP and the bad guys were religious zealots that believed the supers were demons. So they attacked the school and things got really crazy, then one of them decided to launch incendiary bullets at a ship that was approaching. Manami's parents' boat. Where they had a bunch of fireworks to celebrate her graduation at the facility with.

It all goes up in flames. There's a lot of pretty fireworks and at first, she's really excited. Then she catches sight of the boat and realizes what was going on. OMG MY HEART, that poor poor girl had just lost both her boat-home and her loving adoptive parents and I, couldn't even like the post because it felt cruel. And my character that is her best friend, couldn't do more than offer silent support for her and I just...

Gus Gus , *sobs* your precious girl deserved better!!!! QAQ

That was probably the toughest scene I've ever had to write, not least because it was difficult to see the screen at times.

I've had a few.

One was when my werewolf met her now husband and he proposed to her. We had been rping for years leading up to that and the actual scene was just so touching.

Another was a Fae I no longer use fell in love with a human, they became pregnant with twins and while I decided to put this plot twist in myself it still ended up making me cry. I decided to have her almost miscarry and while I couldn't go through with her actually losing one of the babies the idea that she could have made me sad.

If I'm really invested in a story I feel the emotions of my characters and such really strongly. I became like this about three years into rping I believe? So here is like two that I can say made me cry the hardest;

1. In a long term roleplay with a friend of mine, a character who had been trying for nearly the whole time to help the person he loved to get over their ex. This was like a five-month build up of him just doing his utter best, and they had started to date along the way, while the other wasn't completely into him they had been making leaps and bounds when it came to their relationship and just when all things were going well.
Then his love interest's ex came back and his crush and boyfriend left him without warning. The entire scene was extremely emotionally charged, he was begging him not to leave, asking him what he did wrong, if he ever truly had begun to love him since he had told him like, two weeks previous that he loved him. It ended with his lover just really crushing his heart by telling him all his flaws, and how he wasn't loveable to begin with (i think because he wanted my boy to hate him??), then left him. Man, I needed like a good two days emotional break after this but still remains a fav in my books to this day even like three years later.

2. This roleplay was with two kids with superpowers who had run away and were living in hiding. My wonderful babes were doing his best to support the other, he took on a job which was destroying him working with the Mafia. This all comes to a climax where he meets his friend has run away with together and they get into a huge argument and it ended with my boy breaking down and sobbing in the middle of an alleyway in the rain. It was a climax of him finally breaking after they had been on the run for at least a year and him shouldering all the responsibility of their safety and it was this moment of just him mourning everything he had lost. It was like breaking this mature shell he had and showing that on the inside he was still this scared kid and I just broke down with him. I could barely type through my tears.

I think when a scene is just like a climax it's a huge build up for me? Especially if it shows the futility of all that the character worked for or the breaking point of someone who was strong.

unfortunately, those are also my favourite things to write so y'all know I cry all the time whoops. ✌

I haven't really cried tears of sadness for any roleplay (which I do want to experience at least once), but there were two instances where I got just a little teary eyed.

1. The first season of a group roleplay I was in was coming to an end, and everyone's characters had been through a lot throughout the entire duration of the story. Two of the characters were parting from the rest, and it was more of a bittersweet moment for me, because even if we had ended up with a happy ending, everyone had to deal with the separation. All the characters had formed quite strong bonds of friendship with one another, and it made me tear up just a bit.

2. This roleplay in itself was cringy, but one of my male characters walked in on [trigger warning] his girlfriend getting raped by a guy. Naturally, it angered him. What I usually do while roleplaying is literally get into the head of my characters, and just thinking about the sheer amount of rage my boy must have felt upon witnessing such a scene was enough to bring angry tears to my eyes.

Wasnt an RP but was for a Fallout story I was writing. And I'm not sure how to explain it without giving a bit of a summary of the story.

My character (a gen 3 synth who is loyal to the Brotherhood and is part of the Midwest Chapter) is ordered by the High Elder to go to the East and help them defeat the Institute given she hasn't had the memory wipe done so she knows what she is and has intimate knowledge on their weaknesses and the layout of the place.

Maxson of course isn't pleased about this first (and neither is Artemis, the synth) but because they're orders from his superior he reluctantly takes her in. As months go by she proves time and time again shes there to help and, albeit unknowingly, the two start to love each other, and furthermore proving that not all of her kind are bad. They defeat the Institute however Artemis is gravely wounded in the battle but she lives, though just barely.

When she's finally up and walking she tells Maxson that she'll be leaving the following day, a tone of sadness in her voice, as she doesnt really want to leave but thinks "surely they dont want a synth hanging around and longer then needed" and the following morning she does just that, before any of the other soldiers are up she leaves and heads back to her respective chapter.

A year later she hasn't been herself since coming back, her duties are falling behind, because she cant stop thinking about those in the East (it's not just Maxson, everyone loved her as a friend and as a fellow soldier) and is surprised when Maxson comes to visit her. The two finally profess their feelings and she is ordered, again to go back to the east. This time permanently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back