• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Fourth Brother shook his head as Third Brother stuck by his assumptions. They both knew what the Jedi were capable of, and who knows what Ae’lia had gotten up to in her time away from the Jedi Order. Those years in hiding. They may have toughened her up, or maybe she was truly working with other Jedi, like the infamous Cal, as Third Brother so thought.

Jedi will go out of their way to do stupid shit to save civilians.

Fourth Brother knew such a Jedi as Third Brother described. A Jedi with hair as yellow at the sun, lengthy hair he used to entangle his fingers in during their forbidden evenings together. She was both courageous and foolish, doing whatever she could to protect the lives of civilians and innocents.

But she was gone. She had to be. Hala loved attention too much to still be alive.

“Just listen to his advice and stay out of our way, kid. Hide in a vehicle if you have to, but don’t face a Jedi alone unless you have a death wish, which somehow I doubt it.” He had too much spunk, but Eli was right. Neither of them would stick their necks out to try and protect Eli.

“But if you’re so certain about this Jedi, then maybe I’ll just let you go alone.” It would lessen the risk of both of them dying, at the very least, if their Inquisitor-killer showed up as well. “I’ll join in on the fun next time.”

~~~

“You could have done more,” Skye easily agreed, her tone accusing. She had noticed the way Adlai didn’t approach Eira, or make any move to talk to her, beyond defending her against the inane accusations of her being an Inquisitor. She supposed she couldn’t quite blame him, but also she could.

They’d been friends for years, and in a fake relationship for most of it. Imperials involved or not, Adlai shouldn't let that relationship ruin their own.

Skye knew what it was like to have no one there, to be completely alone. She didn’t wish for anyone to feel that way, even if Eira may have already held such feelings due to what she was. What they both were.

Such was the consequence of being some of the few remaining Jedi.

She sighed. “Maybe it’s time I don’t hide anymore.” It wasn’t something she thought of lightly, as the consequences of coming out to more rebels could be grander than she could imagine. But if they were to face Thrawn and an Inquisitor on Batuu, then the Empire would learn of yet another Jedi, wouldn’t they?

Skye was ready to make them afraid of how many Jedi were truly out there. “Even if it does make me uncomfortable, I think it’s about time I step out of my comfort zone and do what is needed for the greater cause.” She was careful of her words now that they were ascending Coruscant and back where prying ears could be anywhere.

Hide in a vehicle was still good advice. So was threatening civilians – if he could just threaten and turn the Jedi’s attention, without causing harm, that could work…let the Inquisitors have an opening. At least he got that much out of them, and some small details. Eli didn’t really know the difference between Counselor and Knight, besides the names.

One obviously sounded like a diplomat.

The other sounded like a warrior.

Third Brother answered, “I’m certain,” with too much confidence.

“How do you know Ae’lia?” Eli decided to ask, since he had them talking for the moment. Anything was useful – though Eli assumed Thrawn had already spoken to them to get some of this information already, perhaps he’d get something new. “Why are you so certain?”

“I taught her,” Third Brother scoffed, not using the old term ‘padawan’, despite it calling to him. Eli wouldn’t understand, and it’d be a red flag of sorts to Fourth Brother. Even if it was true, there’d be too much affection in saying it. “And she left the Jedi Order because of the violence. I doubt she’s changed that much.”

“Well, she is with a rebel group…,” Eli said, but wouldn’t insist further. They didn’t necessarily know the full activities of this group. Sure, it led to the death of an inquisitor, but how violent was it, really? “I’ll take the advice though – thank you.” He figured now was a good time to get out of there.

~***~

Adlai wouldn’t chafe under the tone. He’d admitted as much himself, and wouldn’t argue. He’d get through this mission, and then he’d figure out how he could ‘do more’, next time. He had time to sit with his feelings about the Thrawn situation until then, to make sure he was more a support over an irritation.

So he let the conversation continue its segue towards revelations.

“I won’t hold what you say now against you later, should you change your mind,” Adlai said, and wouldn’t. There was still plenty to learn about this other group, and everyone involved in it. Sure, they’d met the Ghost crew, and the other side met the Mantis crew, but there was so much more than that.

So much more to figure out.

“I’ll support you, either way,” he added.

At least this kind of support, he could be certain of.

Fourth Brother rolled his eyes at Third Brother’s continued certainty, but he wouldn’t say another word. He would let the Inquisitor go on the mission by himself, with one of Thrawn’s officers to accompany him, and see how certain he was after the mission.

Fourth Brother wouldn’t trust any Jedi to not kill one of them, regardless of how they were in the past. Regardless of how much Third Brother knew this Ae’lia. Times changed. Desperation could lead to surprising acts.

“Good luck with her,” he said, not quite caring how the mission did end up. If Third Brother or Eli died because of carelessness, then so be it. He would be careful to not make such assumptions about any Jedi in the future, when he faced his own.

“I oh so look forward to hearing how things go,” were his parting words before Fourth Brother would venture back inside his room. Oh he looked forward to seeing how Third Brother failed. Or even the kid.

~~~

Skye could feel her heart melting with Adlai’s words. Someone who would stick by her, and support her, no matter which way she ultimately turned in the end. She wanted to hug him, to say how much she truly appreciated him, but as they grew nearer to their home, she became more alert for how they should and shouldn’t act in public.

She hated it. She wanted their relationship to come out of hiding. If Eira was already seen in a new relationship, how much longer did she have to wait? But it wasn’t her call to make. She could remain patient.

“Thank you,” she said earnestly. “That means a lot.” She didn’t foresee herself changing her mind, but she wouldn’t remain adamant about her decision either. They don’t know much about the other groups yet. They knew very little about the people that were involved. Any little piece of information could change her mind, and she wouldn’t remain stubborn about that.

For once.

The journey back was uneventful, though Skye had to give a glare to some media who wanted to ask Adlai further questions about the situation between Eira and Thrawn. “At least now you don’t have to worry about any more questions today,” she said with a light chuckle as they entered their home. She was quite relieved as well, as she didn’t have to pretend to hide any part of herself for the time being.

Eli turned the corner and left the Inquisitors behind, before shooting off two messages – the first to Cora, and the second to Thrawn.

To Cora, he simply sent the begrudging information that he had a mission soon, with the Inquisitors. He didn’t offer much more than that, as he doubted Thrawn wanted too many details. Still, Cora should know he’d be gone for a bit, and so soon. He promised a little more information when they met up for dinner.

Something he was looking forward to more, as he knew he’d get back into the swing of his actual work shortly.

The message to Thrawn was merely a bit of the information he’d gotten from the Inquisitors – about the Jedi possibly being less dangerous if one was in a vehicle, or home – and also that apparently Ae’lia was a counsellor, and a pacifist, back in the day. Also that she had defected from the Jedi Order before it fell.

That probably explained why she was still alive, at any rate. She might have remained alive, if she chose to just stay out of things, too. Something had changed.

With the messages sent, Eli would return to his duties of shipping information, and before dinner, shoot off another message to Thrawn – the full results of the doonium shipments going on around the galaxy.

~***~

Adlai was glad to see Skye smile that way, though his own gladness couldn’t quite survive the questioning as he reached home. Of course the vultures were still out and trying to peck at a wound. Adlai gave them limited sound bites, nothing that contradicted anything he’d said thus far, and nothing to implicate either Eira or Thrawn in cheating.

Even if it might have been nice to smear Thrawn’s reputation. Just a little.

Once safely back within the confines of the Serenno manse, and his own wing of it, he let out a relieved sigh, and allowed a smile to return to his lips. “No questions at all?” Adlai said with a bit of a laugh, doubting he’d hear none from Skye as the evening continued.

Just, no more about Eira and Thrawn, he hoped.

Skye would catch up with Eira in her own time, and Adlai would work on communicating with Eira again, too. Later.

“Well, that does make for a rather relaxing evening. I suppose we’re not in sore need of it after the trip home, but knowing there’s a mission ahead certainly makes it feel like it,” he chuckled, unsure if he should be happy to have a mission already or not.

At least it would distract from everything else going on.

“So you and Eli seem to be getting pretty serious,” Ailsa, one of Cora’s coworkers in the lab, commented, not bothering to look up from her data.

“Hmm?” Cora made a questioning noise, at the same moment her datapad pinged with a new message, from the aforementioned man. She didn’t bother to hide her grin at the name. “We’re getting comfortable with one another.”

Ailsa scoffed, “The man already met your parents. No one does that unless they have every intention of getting serious.”

Cora ignored Ailsa for the moment and eagerly turned away from her work to read the message she received from Eli. Her smile quickly turned downwards as she read it, not pleased that he would be gone so soon. And with the Inquisitors.

Nothing good ever came of them, she was sure of it.

I’ll be free in an hour to meet up for dinner.

She quickly typed out the message and returned to her work, changing the subject with Ailsa away from Eli. She didn’t particularly care to be the center of gossip for people, even if she had nothing to hide or be ashamed of with Eli.

~~~

Thrawn was nursing a drink, a consequence of the day and the media frenzy that surrounded his new relationship with Eira, when he received the message from Eli, pertaining important information concerning their Jedi friend.

Some of it he already knew from Governor Tarkin, and the information the man knew of her from her time in the Jedi Order. But all in all, the information was useful, and so Thrawn sent off a brief message back to Eli thanking him for the message.

It wasn’t helpful in the moment, but he would give it time to simmer in his mind, as he contemplated the seemingly oxymoron of a pacifist Jedi who left the Order during its waning days of the Clone Wars. A Jedi who now was working with the rebels and the investigation of the attack on Queen Breha.

With the thought of the rebels, Thrawn’s mind turned towards Eira. He hadn’t heard from her since their time together in the elevator, so he decided to send her a message, asking if she was okay, if the media hadn’t worn her down yet.

Even though he knew the play here, Thrawn couldn’t help but to be slightly worried for her and how she is handling...everything.

Later, he promised himself he would go back over the message Eli sent him concerning doonium shipments. Something didn’t immediately sit right with him with the information given to him.

~~~

Skye couldn’t fault the relief and relaxation that fell on Adlai when they stepped through the threshold and back into their own private wing, away from those who are just a little too curious about the private lives of others.

“I think dealing with the media in the way you had to today warrants any amount of relaxation.” She wasn’t even there for most of it, but the tension he held was clear.

Tension that made her second guess asking her own questions for him, though fortunately none concerning the relationship between Eira and Thrawn. Only about the public image of her and Adlai, or lack thereof for the time being.

“And you’ll find that I am without questions for you,” she teased. It could wait until after the mission, she decided. “I think we should focus on resting up for now, if we are to expect some trouble to accompany us.” Skye stepped up to Adlai and stretched up to wrap her arms around his neck. "How about a quiet night in, maybe with a nice holovideo?"

Noting the time, Eli sent back a message that he’d meet Cora at her quarters a little after an hour – just to give her time to get there, and do anything she might need to do before attending dinner. This way they could be sure to go together, and not possibly end up at the wrong cafeteria.

An hour at least gave Eli Vanto some time to do a bit of a round of the ship – at least the bridge and communications, which was where he knew the most people, and often had the most assignments. Faro, at least, seemed to be doing better than her exaggerated messages suggested, smiling and asking questions about his own time with Cora’s parents.

He answered what he was comfortable with, and promised her a better breakdown later, when they could sit down. Not that there was too much to say, but it didn’t feel right venting complaints in the Bridge.

There was little else to report, which Eli found a relief as he went through the ship, eventually making his way to Cora’s quarters, careful not to be too early lest he got there before her. He was eager – but it didn’t need to show that much.

He pressed the comm near her door shortly after his own arrival, “It’s just me,” he could probably get away with that now, right?

~***~

Eira hadn’t heard from Thrawn since the elevator, not that it was so long ago, but she had expected to hear something after Shay got him alone. Shay had suggested enough that Thrawn hadn’t changed his mind after the interrogation, but a part of her still wondered. The day had quite gotten away from her, that she hadn’t thought to follow up…even if the headache was all about him, of course.

And so she sighed, smiled with a bit of relief to see the message as she came back to her datapad with a warm cup of tea. She really did need to lay off the gelato.

She floated the pad up and read the message as it hovered in the air, before responding to it.

Not yet, but I’m used to this. How are you holding up?

~***~

A quiet night in was exactly what Adlai wanted, and he was pleased that was what Skye offered, as he in turn wrapped his arms around her waist. “I think that plan sounds perfect,” he said, and leaned forward to place a kiss on her forehead.

“How about you pick the film and I’ll get us some food ordered? I haven’t had dinner.” He barely had time for a quick lunch that day. He figured general Coruscanti fare wouldn’t be offensive to either of them so far as food went. They’d eaten plenty of Serenno food recently, after all.

Some food, some cuddling, a film, and perhaps more, would be a good way to put this day to rest, and prepare for what was to come. Which, hopefully, wouldn’t involve any Inquisitors or trouble, though he knew better than to really count on it right now.

Cora noted the time Eli sent back in his return message. She would have to be careful to ensure that she didn’t allow herself to get too bogged down in work and let the time slip away from her, but she highly doubted that would be an issue. The dinner was something she was looking forward to, after all.

And to get more information about this mission Eli had to go on. To see if he could somehow bring Cora along, so he didn’t have to suffer alone with the Inquisitors.

The remainder of her shift passed quickly enough, with some continued small talk with Ailsa and her other coworkers. Right on the hour, Cora bid them all goodbye, and walked swiftly back to her quarters. He wasn’t there yet. Good, she didn’t want him to have to be waiting for her out in the corridors.

Cora went inside her quarters, smoothed over her hair, but she couldn’t do more than that before Eli’s voice sounded through the comm. There was a smile as she heard him and opened the door. “Right on time.” She was always happy to see him, and she was just relieved that he still wanted to see her after meeting her parents. “Shall we go?”

~~~

Thrawn left his drink alone as the message came back for him, bringing an unexpected slight smile to his weary face. He hadn’t expected any other answer to come from her, and yet he still wished for something better.

I will be fine. I did not realize my own crew would be privy to such gossip.

At times, he almost wanted to yell at those who fell to celebrity gossip and politics, but it was useless. It would do nothing except vilify him even more than some already do.

Thrawn took another sip of his drink before continuing.

Would you perhaps be available tomorrow? We should give the media more to gossip about, after all.

The last addition was Thrawn’s attempt at some humor in the situation, knowing that no matter what they do, there would be gossip. There would be more headaches.

~~~

Skye’s smile softened at the seemingly small, sentimental action of a forehead kiss. It was one she was still not accustomed to, and it pulled up feelings her Jedi training told her to suppress and control.

But this was a new era, an era without the Jedi Order and its rules. A new era for her to try and create a new life, even though the Jedi teachings will forever remain with her, in the back of her mind.

“Allowing me to pick the film? Someone’s feeling brave,” Skye teased with a smirk. She leaned up to give a peck on his cheek before stepping back and out of his arms. The promise of an evening filled with a quiet night in, good food, and cuddles helped keep her mind on the goal instead of remaining in Adlai’s arms.

“I’ll be sure to pick something you won’t hate.” She wouldn’t torture the poor man and pick some atrocious romantic comedy. Or play a mean prank and pick one of Eira’s movies, even if it would be funny. No, she would pick something she thought the both of them would enjoy, something lighthearted and funny that they could laugh over together.

Eli smiled as the door opened, glad to see Cora after what already felt like a long day. Considering it started with her parents, contained news of Thrawn’s newest…strategy, and involved the Inquisitors, he thought that was a fair assessment. At least it had also been a day that went by quickly, for containing all of these elements.

“Yes,” he would step aside enough for Cora to step out, and then reach for her hand, wanting the feel of her back even in such a small way. It was a comfort, “I’m not sure what’s being prepared, but I’m sure it’s nothing abnormal.”

It never was.

Almost disappointingly so.

“How has your day been?” he asked as they’d begin to walk to the cafeteria, not giving much attention to those they passed on the way. News of their relationship wasn’t going to be as startling, and he figured it was pretty well known by now.

They hadn’t really hidden it from the start.

Still, people were being more attentive to these things now, in light of the news, so a few looks lingered or came back after a moment. They’d just never really registered, or noticed, before that there were other couples on the ship. Even if there always had been, even besides Eli and Cora.

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s message earned a slight laugh, tinted with sympathy he couldn’t hear. Eira imagined it was a bit of a wake-up call for him. How did he avoid knowing it was so common? Well, she supposed fine art didn’t exactly bleed into popular culture, so Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s understanding of how popular culture worked was likely…lacking.

If people weren’t involved in it, it wouldn’t be popular.

His next query was expected, although Eira still felt the urge to hide, she knew it was rather pointless, and counterproductive. If she wanted to spend time with him, it had to be in the open. Bringing him home wasn’t on the agenda, and he likely wasn’t going to take her on the Chimaera anytime soon.

She wouldn’t be asking, either; if she had to keep secrets, it was better not to know at all.

I suppose we may as well encourage the rumor mill a little more. I should be available in the later afternoon and evening.

She still had theater in the morning, practically every day now.

I can meet you at the Summit – I’ll decide what we’re doing, unless you can guess it.

She didn’t know if he’d even try, but she was still curious how much he’d figured out about the truth, compared to the persona. She had ideas in mind, more than one, more on the active side of things considering his enjoyment of sparring.

They wouldn’t be that. She hadn’t quite forgotten how that had held a certain…uncomfortably enjoyable tension. That, and he didn’t need to be reminded of how she fought.

~***~

“Tired, I think, is more apt,” Adlai chuckled at the comment of brave, aware of what he could be setting himself up for. He could also try to fall asleep during it, assuming he wasn’t otherwise distracted by food, or commentary. Commentary on bad films could be fun, though it would probably require Adlai to order alcohol.

For now, he wouldn’t be doing that, “I’ll trust that you won’t – though one day, we should probably binge bad shows and films with some good alcohol.” He allowed that suggestion as a promise for the future. More calm days, of just being together.

They would need them with all the activity of their lives.

He navigated to an ordering app on his datapad, “Is there anything you don’t eat?” He asked, as he began to type in orders. Skye didn’t seem to have the same problems as Eira did with food, but she might have an allergy that hadn’t come up yet.

Not that he remembered anything like that from their trip to Serenno, and they ate plenty of good food there.

Cora happily took Eli’s hand, not even concerned with how others would perceive her and them in the meantime. She was just relieved to finally be with him, on their own, after her parents and after a day in the lab with her coworkers.

“My day has been normal. Nothing out of the ordinary happened at all,” she answered with a sigh, as if almost disappointed. But she wasn’t. Cora was glad to have a normal than an abnormal day, even if it meant nothing exciting to report back. Just a normal day chatting with her coworkers and gathering data.

“I’m guessing yours went a bit differently?” If there were mentions of Inquisitors and an off-world mission, then it had to have gone differently than her own. She couldn’t imagine what Eli had gone through, or what he will go through in the near future.

She gave him a gentle squeeze of her hand in encouragement. “It’s nothing that you can’t handle though. If you’ve dealt with my parents, then surely you can deal with anything,” she chuckled.

~~~

Thrawn smiled at the return message, agreeing with what Eira had to say. Either they wouldn’t be seen in public, resulting in the media to speculate even further on their relationship status, or they bite the bullet and be seen in public, and just allow the rumor mill to continue on its course.

And he had many ideas of what Eira could have planned for them, but he wouldn’t guess for now. He would allow their evening to be a surprise

I will allow it to be a surprise.

He wouldn’t even allow himself to think too much on what Eira possibly had planned, so he could await and be eager for her plans. If it was only to gather more intel on what is going through her mind at all possible hours.

I will see you at the Summit then. Around 4 - will that suffice?

~~~

Skye couldn’t fault Adlai for being tired. She could only imagine what a headache the media gave him, on top of his normal duties in politics. She didn’t fault him in the least, so she would try her best and give him a normal, quiet evening inside, as best she could.

“That does sound like good fun. Maybe after this mission to Batuu, we can indulge in a bad film or two with some alcohol?” she suggested. It would be something to look forward to for after their mission, though Skye still had her doubts that it would be anything stressful.

It was just a reconnaissance mission, right?

Thought Skye had been wrong before.

“I’m open to anything,” she answered Adlai. And it was true, there was very little Skye would try, as long as it wasn’t rations. She had her fair share of rations in the past, during her time as a Jedi, and during her time hiding from the Empire.

Something told her Adlai wouldn’t pick rations.

While Adlai ordered the food, Skye scrolled through her datapad for a film they both would enjoy, or have a good laugh at. Soon, she chose one. An action movie with enough comedy in it to be entertaining, to allow them to forget about their current lives and to enjoy the moment as it was.

Eli was quite grateful Cora’s day was normal. That was one silver lining to the day; the only additional stress she had was Eli’s mission with the Inquisitors, which was, quite obviously, abnormal. Sometimes Eli wondered if he really had a normal, though. Technically, he did, but he was also so used to doing side missions for Thrawn, that this didn’t seem that strange.

“Just a bit,” Eli said with first a chuckle, then a sigh, as the cafeteria came into sight. “I do believe that, though. The Inquisitors at least don’t seem like they’re actively trying to put me down or destroy me.” They just didn’t care. If there was a “give a fuck” meter, he thought theirs might be in the negatives.

“We shouldn’t tell the Inquisitors that. They don’t need a challenge, and I think they like the perception of being intimidating,” he moved his free hand into his hair as they walked into the cafeteria, remembering, “one of them tried to show me the range of a Jedi by throwing their lightsaber at me from one end of a hall to the other.”

That he could have killed Eli was both obvious, and didn’t need to be spoken. “I got the hint that I shouldn’t do much to help them with Jedi.” If they died, they died. Eli had to learn to think like that about them, even if he’d trained himself not to think that way, in general, about anyone. No one should be that expendable.

~***~

No guesses from Mitth’raw’nuruodo. Eira wasn’t put off by it, though was somewhat curious by the decision. Not that she would press it, as her mind continued to flick through ideas. Dancing? Skyfaring? Surfing – that might be terribly entertaining, and an easy way to get him in much less.

Not that Eira was great at it, but she always wanted to get better. That might put them on even footing.

Then again, there was ice skating, and she was significantly better at that. Yet, something nagged at her that she should do something ungraceful, to throw him off when he met Ae'lia again, as he no doubt would. Geocaching was also a thing that would let him see more of Coruscant. He’d be far too good at laser tag, and that was always better with a team, anyways.

So she just smiled as thoughts buzzed through her mind, and sent back a simple response.

That will work fine. I’ll see you then, Mitth’raw’nuruodo.

~***~

Adlai nodded, “Two, at least. We can each pick one terrible film, and then go shopping for alcohol,” it would be a fun outing, although he supposed going shopping for alcohol out in public might draw some attention if they were too eager about it. He’d decide later if he cared, he was too tired for that, too.

Adlai put the order through while Skye skimmed films, and went to go see what she’d found when he got the notification that it would be about twenty five minutes. He didn’t know the film off-hand, though he was familiar with the actors in the picture.

He nodded, “Those two are usually good,” he didn’t know them personally, thank goodness, but being with Eira did mean getting to know that world a bit more, and hearing her talk about various people she’d met, wanted to work with, or rumors in their world – like who was a bit of a prima donna, and things of that nature.

“Food should be here in about twenty five minutes, so why don’t we take a look at what alcohol we do have and try to make something?” He didn’t have a huge variety of spirits. That could make this more fun, or more intimidating.

He at least did have some juice and fizzy drinks to help mix.

Cora would believe that the Inquisitors weren’t actively trying to destroy Eli. They just liked to be intimidating, and intimidating they were. But would they even get punished if they “accidentally” killed or maimed an Imperial officer?

She didn’t want to know the answer to that.

The brief story Eli told of the Inquisitor and the lightsaber caused Cora to widen her eyes. “They what?” She did all she could to not raise her voice in great concern. Inquisitors, Jedis, all of the Force users and their lightsabers were intimidating, and she did not envy Eli at all with the situation he was put through.

Cora squeezed Eli’s hand. “I think that’s a good idea. We’ve faced the Jedi before. We’ve seen what they can do. Maybe it’s best to leave them to someone who can actually fight them in battle.” Like the Inquisitors. Their own measly blasters would be near useless in a lightsaber fight.

She bit her lip, considering her next words. “Is it just going to be you and the Inquisitors along on the mission? Maybe you need one more officer to come along, just in case.”

~~~

In the few moments Eira took to think over her response and message him back, Thrawn thought over what could be going through her mind. If any of their ventures out together could be clues for him, or if he’s chasing a dead end. That Eira was just as innocent as he secretly hoped.

That he indeed wouldn’t have to deal with a messy emotional situation later on. Emotions that he would deny.

He received her message, one that gave him no further clues as to what she had planned for them.

I will see you then, Eira. I suppose I won’t need to bring anything or prepare for anything in particular?

Thrawn decided to ask, just in case their outing was more than a promenade through a museum, or strolling through the shopping district. Maybe it would be something more active that would require a change of clothes.

His mind briefly flickered to their sparring session, and the feeling of her body pressed against his. Thrawn shook his head to clear his mind, and sent his message. No need for such thoughts, not when there was a bigger mission to think about.

~~~

Skye easily agreed with their near future plans of the fun evening together, filled with bad holofilms and good booze, and even better company. And she certainly wouldn’t complain if the evening evolved into something more than distracted her greatly from the film.

But for their current evening, she would allow Adlai to take the lead in that regard. If he was too tired to do anything, then she would cuddle with him and help him relax. Not every evening had to be exciting. Sometimes, all one needed was a quiet night to try and destress from an eventful day, like the one Adlai had.

She was pleased that Adlai seemed to approve her choice, if only by the actors in the film, and Skye perked up at the mention of alcohol. “That sounds amazing.” She would never turn down an opportunity for a drink. Even in her Jedi days, she never turned down a drink or two.

“What do you have? I have been known to make a good drink or two.” It was a great skill she picked up over the years, and one heavily needed at times. Some of the scoundrels Skye hung out with had terrible tasting alcohol, what they could afford, and she just had to make it more palatable somehow.

She followed him to where he stored his alcohol. “What non-alcoholic beverages do you have that we could mix these with?”

They entered the cafeteria as Cora squeezed his hand, and he relaxed a bit, chuckled, “Yeah, it probably is,” that didn’t mean he liked the idea of it, but he had to acknowledge where his limits were. Fighting a Jedi was straight out. He’d not succeed at that. However, he would still take what few hints the Inquisitors dropped about them to heart.

As he had to let go of Cora’s hand to grab a tray, he arched an eyebrow at her query. It was obvious what she really wanted to ask. “As far as I know, it is going to be just me, and one of the Inquisitors,” so not all of them, “and probably the pilot crew for the ship, of course,” Eli could pilot it on his own, but he doubted that would fly with the Inquisitor or Thrawn.

He wasn’t sure how Cora’s duties could fit with where they were going. It was a known world, after all, albeit one still not fully hooked up to the Empire, and still using outdated triad systems. He knew why Cora would want to come, though.

He’d argue with Thrawn if she was being sent on a mission alone with Inquisitors. “Maybe we can consider what would be best for the situation, after we’ve grabbed some food.” He’d try to wrap his head around where there might be a decent ‘in’, beyond their personal connection to each other.

That wasn’t to be understated, Thrawn knew working relationships were things to maintain, and to use where appropriate.

~***~

Eira considered Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s answer for a moment, realizing if she wanted to take him surfing, she would have to say it now, or forever hold her peace on that. A last minute change wouldn’t do. It seemed the easiest way to keep away from activities that showed what skills she did have.

Things that would be easily read into battles.

And she was trying to keep him from seeing too much of that.

You may want to bring a bathing suit, unless you don’t mind getting your clothing soaked.

Eira sent, sighing as she resigned herself to surfing. She wasn’t upset with that prospect, she actually did want to improve. Ideally, with a teacher, and individual practice, but she could suffer embarrassing herself in front of Mitth’raw’nuruodo. Just a little.

At least it would be mostly genuine, and not because she was holding back.

~***~

Adlai chuckled, not at all surprised by Skye’s enthusiasm as he led her to where the alcohol was. He was sure he’d shown her before, but maybe not. It had been a bit of a whirlwind getting her moved in, and then establishing a normal for them. They still hadn’t fully established what that normal was going to look like, either.

He went over to his wine cupboard and opened it, and then the cupboard besides it, which had more alcohol for mixing. Most of it was unflavored varieties of vodka, rum, gin, brandy – things of that nature. He didn’t have much flavored things. Probably something he should fix one day.

“I know I have some Coke and Sprite, as well as some meiloorun, moof, and zoochberry juice around, possibly others,” he liked to keep some variety of juice since drinking straight water wasn’t really appealing. Also Eira used to drink plenty of it, and he got in the habit from her, no doubt.

“Think you can create something interesting?”

Cora separated her hand from Eli’s to grab a tray. She didn’t like the idea of how few people would be on this mission, and it wasn’t just because it was only Eli going. Or maybe it was. She knew she was quickly allowing her emotions to take over when it concerned work, but how could she help it? It was Eli, dealing with Inquisitors and potentially Jedi.

She wanted to find some way to join them, if at all possible. It may be difficult, given her specialties were in lesser known worlds and not a mapped one like Batuu, but it had its primitive areas.

It was possible.

“Yeah, let’s give it some time to think over while we eat some food,” she agreed, reaching for a high protein salad. They would be able to think with a clearer mind with satiated stomachs.

With food and water on her tray, Cora led them over to an empty table. “How was it talking to those Inquisitors?” she wondered with a whisper, as if just merely talking about them would summon them. Maybe it would. She didn’t know that.

~~~

Eira’s next message took Thrawn by slight surprise. Sure, a change of clothes or something more comfortable to slip into he expected, but a bathing suit?

And Thrawn had a bathing suit. He occasionally swam in the pool they had on the Chimaera for exercise. It worked out the entire body, and offered him a moment of peace, peace he rarely gets to experience.

He was curious as to what Eira had planned, but as he stated, he wouldn’t guess. Only allow himself to be pleasantly surprised. Then only later would he allow himself to think back on her actions, and why she chose what she did. If it meant anything.

You have piqued my interest. I shall bring a bathing suit with me.

Naturally, now that Eira mentioned the need for a swimsuit, Thrawn couldn’t help the innate urge to mentally picture her in one, and it was a pleasing enough image. Just enough of those soft curves hidden, but more skin revealed than what she showed at their sparring session.

Thrawn shook himself out of his spiralling thoughts. That was the last thing he needed. He had to remain focused, dammit!

I shall see you then, Eira.

~~~

Skye perused through all of the liquor, humming as she did so. “Zoochberry juice?” she repeated, glancing over at Adlai. “I loved zoochberry. I used to love eating zoochberry cobbler,” she chuckled, reminiscing for a moment in her memories of an exasperating Master Parsa finding a young Padawan Hala salivating over a plate of zoochberry cobbler.

She made a note to grab the bottle after she was done raiding Adlai’s cabinet.

The wine was largely ignored - that would be good for another night. Maybe a more romantic night. But tonight, Skye was in the mood for mixed beverages, and mixed beverages she would make.

She grabbed the vodka and a bottle of whiskey she found. “But yeah, I think I can create something interesting. I’ll need that zoochberry, meiloorun, and some Coke.” She paused. “Don’t worry, everything won’t be mixed together,” she chuckled, straightening back up as she grasped each bottle around its neck.

Making one fruity cocktail and one simple whiskey with Coke would be simple, and delicious, enough for the planned evening.

Eli went with a wrap, and a side of fruit, for his own tray. With a bit of water as well, he followed Cora to where they could sit, scoffing a bit at the question, “Being used as target practice for a lightsaber doesn’t give that away?”

Perhaps not, he thought with a sigh, as he took his seat at the table. He wasn’t as concerned about whispering, or about summoning them. “They’re not omniscient,” he pointed out, “the blue one seems to know the Jedi we’re looking for, somehow. He didn’t say much. Underestimated her because she was a counselor.”

Eli didn’t know much about that, though he knew the titles Knight and Counselor. He knew which one sounded more intimidating. “They’re not really pleasant people. Definitely don’t think we’re worth their attention.” He didn’t mean that just for himself and Cora. He had a feeling that was also how they looked upon Thrawn.

Maybe even Tarkin.

“But they seem…very focused on the Jedi hunting.” In an almost unnerving way. More unnerving than the fact they were naturally unnerving, at any rate. He didn’t want to be a Jedi with that kind of focus on eliminating him.

~***~

Eira knew she could change the plan to other options that would involve a bathing suit, but in the end, she didn’t. She called up one of the beaches on Coruscant to make sure she had a reservation. There were private beaches, after all, and that would be preferable for both of them, she imagined.

She also made sure there were a couple of surfboards prepared. She also made sure to have a dinner prepared to be delivered, either to her place, or the beach; only in case Mitth’raw’nuruodo didn’t want dinner. She wouldn’t let the food go to waste when she could eat it that evening and have leftovers.

With everything set, and her bathing suit packed her bag, she was at the Summit to meet Mitth’raw’nuruodo.

The day had still been fairly hellish so far as the press went, and Darius.

It likely still could have been, were she not actively using the Force to detour attention from herself. It was one of those more subtle things, but exceedingly useful. It had been especially so on battlefields that didn’t use droids.

Of course, as soon as she spotted Mitth’raw’nuruodo, she drew it back and rose from where she had been sitting, lifting on her toes to wave him down with a smile.

~***~

Adlai made a mental note about zoochberry, and another mental note about Jedi and fruits. It was probably nothing, as this wasn’t even the same fruit that Eira preferred, but he still couldn’t help but imagine there was something to it. It was too easy to imagine a bunch of kids walking around with juice boxes, and then swinging around training sabers.

It was also stupidly adorable, not that he would say that.

His brows did lift in doubt when Skye listed off all that she needed, considering the alcohol she grabbed, as well. “Mhmm.” He let the doubt remain in his tone even as she specified it would not be all together. Teasingly, though.

He would still take the command, and went to the kitchen to grab the juice and coke, bringing it back to Skye before he heard the ping of their delivery from the front of the manor. “I’ll be back,” he said, depositing the drinks on the nearest table before he set off to go and gather their food for the evening.

Cora winced. Eli did have a point - their use of him as a bit of target practice said enough of their encounter. She had just hoped something more productive happened during the rest of their meeting, but maybe she hoped for far too much from the Inquisitors.

Maybe they weren’t exactly the team player.

She frowned at his use of the term counselor. Cora didn’t know much about the Jedi or their hierarchy, but a counselor didn’t exactly sound threatened. If it was enough for the Empire though to deem her a credible threat, then that was good enough for her.

“Well then I guess that’s a good thing, if you may encounter this Jedi on the mission.” Cora certainly balked at the idea of Eli facing down a Jedi again, without someone who could easily fight one by his side. Or, well, not really by his side, but on the same team.

The Inquisitors were still an enigma she didn’t really care to figure out.

She took a bite of her salad. “Maybe it’s a good thing they’re so focused on Jedi hunting,” she offered. “Maybe it could mean less of a chance for you to actually have to deal with the Jedi in any capacity.”

~~~

For the most part, the noise surrounding Thrawn and his new relationship with Eira died down around the ship, at least it did when he was around, which pleased him. He half suspected the sudden silence was due to fear for what would happen if they pissed off their grand admiral by bothering him about his personal life.

They had every right to fear. Thrawn grew tired of the social aspect of a public relationship.

So he was looking forward to the date with Eira, to get his mind off of things, even if it was the cause of them in the first place. He tried to ignore that in favor of predicting what Eira had planned that required a swimsuit.

With a bag slung over his shoulders, he tried not to dwell on it too much outside of thoughts of a relaxing swim, as he approached the Summit right on time and immediately spotted Eira. With a small smile, Thrawn approached her and gave a slight nod. “I admit, you have me curious as to what you planned for today.”

A curiosity he shall soon satiate.

Not knowing proper protocol for two beings in a new relationship, he kept his hands by his side, rather awkwardly, and he would let Eira dictate what they should do next. Should there be a hug? Maybe a kiss? Or were they in an area much too public for that?

~~~

Skye shot Adlai a look, all in good jest, as he made his doubtful noise. Now she was tempted to make something truly awful for giggles, but she would resist the temptation to be immature. For now.

Maybe some other time, when they didn’t have a mission looming over them, she would indulge in mixing a bad drink.

While Adlai went to grab the food, Skye mixed the drinks together. The fruit juices and the whiskey for something that tasted a bit more exotic, as if they were on a true vacation. And the coke and vodka together, for a bit more simplistic and sophisticated taste. There was one of each for them to enjoy. Two drinks for them to enjoy should be plenty, but if not, there was still plenty more alcohol and juice left over to make more.

Skye smiled as Adlai returned with the food. “So what did you end up ordering?” She moved the drinks just slightly over so he would have more room to set the food down on the table. Whatever he ordered, it sure smelled wonderful.

The single-minded focus of the Inquisitors was perhaps the only good thing about all of this. They would at least not do anything to jeopardize that mission. Which also could mean he’d end up in harm’s way if he got in the way, but he’d try not to. “Yeah,” he agreed, though there was a sigh in his tone.

Doubt.

Worry.

“I’d rather not try dealing with a Jedi if they can do all that an Inquisitor can,” he said, before frowning, “Really makes you wonder how they ended up…well…gone.” He knew it happened in the Clone Wars, but he didn’t know the full story, of course. Only that all at once, the Jedi that had been thousands strong, seemed to vanish overnight.

He never really questioned it until now, witnessing what the Jedi were capable of. How could they all go down, so quickly, so seamlessly? It seemed like it would take just as many Inquisitors, but he didn’t think there had ever been so many, considering it was easy enough to guess Inquisitors used to be Jedi.

Probably not something he was supposed to go around saying, though.

~***~

“I would hope so,” Eira greeted in turn, noticing the way Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s discomfort weighed on him in the moment. She didn’t know what Chiss relationship styles were like, how much they acted in public, how much they hid. Eira knew the style she’d created for the public, though.

And public was easier than private, for her. Public still had elements of an act to it, even where it wasn’t. And things could never go too far that way, either – which was another odd comfort, where for many it would be otherwise. Although she had no problems with sharing a kiss, for his sake, she only reached up to wrap her arms around him in a quick embrace.

Nothing too long – if he didn’t want these displays, he’d have time to mention it soon, though when she dropped her arms, she did take one of his hands in hers, “I have a speeder nearby to take us to the location,” not that she was driving it, of course. Nor was Shay anywhere involved thankfully.

“How has today been?” She asked on the way.

~***~

Adlai did set the bags down as space was made, and considered they might need a tray to bring this all back with them. “Just general Coruscanti fare – some ahrisa, barbequed trakkrrrn ribs, and some cloudberry tarts,” he figured that ought to be sufficient enough food, a bit of an appetizer, a main dish, and some dessert.

Plenty enough along with their drinks to enjoy a movie with.

“I’ll go find a couple of levi-trays,” he said, moving to do just that so they could bring the food in with them and not be too bothered by it, either. It didn’t take him long, he didn’t move those trays often, and he knew how to program them for the height they’d want.

So soon enough, he brought them hovering over to load up the food and drinks on.

“Let’s get this back and enjoy the movie,” and hopefully be prepared for all that was ahead afterwards.

Cora frowned, now also wondering how the Jedi all just disappeared seemingly overnight. Sure, the Clone Wars killed many of them through battle, as was the way of war, but then one day, nothing. She heard stories and rumors, but who knew what the actual truth was.

It wasn’t something she would speak aloud, either. Discussions about the Jedis and their past, no matter what, were bordering on dangerous territories. All they needed to know was that the Jedi were treasonous and they few remaining were considered grave threats to the Empire.

And after seeing them up close, in action, Cora surmised that they were just as dangerous as the stories.

But enough about talks of Jedi and Inquisitors. “Have you been able to talk to the admiral much today?” she asked, partially interested in knowing if Thrawn had anything to say to Eli, and partially interested in some more gossip surrounding their admiral and a certain actress.

Cora was a dedicated officer, but she still enjoyed gossip like the next person.

~~~

While the Chiss weren’t opposed to some public displays of affection, they were still more conservative in that regard than what Thrawn had observed in Lesser Space. But he wasn’t in Chiss territory, he was on Coruscant, and he followed Eira’s lead and wrapped his arms around her in a quick embrace.

He tried to ignore how much he wanted to keep his arms around her petite frame.

Though not one he hadn’t done before, the handholding was an unfamiliar act for him, but Thrawn found it rather pleasant. Warm, comforting, soft. Like the woman before him.

All too often Thrawn had to remind himself of the bigger picture at hand.

He easily followed where Eira guided him, towards the speeder. “Not much of a headache as it had been, thankfully. I believe my officers got scared as to what may happen if they continued to ask about our relationship.” The corners of his mouth turned up the slightest at his amusement. “And how about yours?”

~~~

Skye smiled as she smelled the food through the bags. “It all sounds delicious,” and her stomach agreed. She couldn’t remember when she last ate that day, and it seemed her stomach now protested.

They brought the food and drinks with them, and everything was laid out for easy reaching during the movie. Despite her hunger, Skye forgot about the food after the first ten minutes of the movie, but not before having a piece of ahrisa and a trakkrrrn rib. Near the end of the movie, she did remember about the cloudberry tarts, and her sweet tooth couldn’t help herself to one.

Overall, it was an enjoyable evening with good company, great food, and a decent movie, and a great precursor for what was to come.

And as the movie ended, Skye thought more about their mission, and the potential to see more imperials and Inquisitors there. “Do we have a time of when we’re leaving?” He would know more about that than she would.

The Jedi discussion stopped there, likely for the best. Too much theorizing was dangerous, though Eli didn’t know just how dangerous. He was, after all, still from Wild Space. The kind of surveillance in the Core wasn’t new anymore, but he wasn’t fully aware of where some conversations should stop.

He sighed at the next question.

“Yes,” there was a groan in it, because he hadn’t forgotten the frustration at the start of the conversation, or what he knew about Thrawn and Eira, things he still couldn’t speak of or else he risked compromising it. “I still can’t believe it,” he shook his head a bit. Realizing, again, how dangerously close he was to slipping on the truth, he added.

“I didn’t actually think Thrawn had any interest in anyone that way.” He’d almost been certain Thrawn was ace, or that other species just didn’t interest him. Now he knew that both of those assumptions were wrong, just as he knew this was all going to end in tears.

~***~

It wasn’t much of a surprise that Mitth’raw’nuruodo headache wore off. He wasn’t in the spotlight constantly, nor did the press have easy access to him on his starship. Nor would they now, as the speeder wasn’t far, and Eira opened the door for both of them, letting Mitth’raw’nuruodo escape first into it, before she slid in.

She didn’t need to say a word; the driver knew where they were going, and the vehicle moved almost as soon as the door was shut.

“I’m not quite as intimidating as you.” No matter what skills she did or didn’t have. The Press, obviously, didn’t know this, nor would they be finding out anytime soon. Not to mention, Shay’s protection only went so far when she was upset, so Eira just…wouldn’t mention that. Shay was several times more intimidating when she wanted to be.

“But I’m used to it, so it gets easier,” she figured out her lines, knew how to detour them, and got away with blithe non-answers in the end. Every celebrity learned how to pull it off, eventually. She also just didn’t want Mitth’raw’nuruodo to worry about it on her side. She knew what she had gotten into.

Easier to shift the subject, now that they were in the speeder. “Have you visited the ocean here on Coruscant yet?”

~***~

Adlai ate notably more than Skye, the film not quite distracting him from his appetite. It was all good to him, even both drinks, though the fruit one didn’t flow quite as well with the barbeque. It’d be good on another day, with different kinds of food. The movie itself was also enjoyable. Easy to watch, not too much thought needed.

Perfect after this kind of day, really.

And so, he relaxed against Skye, with Skye, enjoying her presence just as much.

“Shay will send a message a few hours before,” Adlai noted, “but no, she didn’t give us any specifics,” he knew no more, Shay had not sent him any individualized message. They just knew the day, but that was enough for Adlai. He’d find his way out of whatever he was doing and make sure not to have too many plans.

“Anxious?” not that he’ blame her for it when there were Inquisitors involved, and stars knew what else at the end of this trail that led to who went after Breha.

Cora raised one eyebrow at the tone Eli presented when answering her question. There was obviously something to tell there, that something indeed happened in the conversation between him and Thrawn, and she waited for him to answer.

It wasn’t quite the juicy gossip she had hoped for. Cora shrugged her shoulders. “I guess he just hadn’t found anyone in quite some time that he felt like pursuing, or that maybe it would be too controversial to engage in a relationship with another officer.” Given his rank, nearly everyone would be considered a subordinate, and while Cora knew relationships between officers and their commanders happened behind closed doors, it was still very much frowned upon, and Thrawn already had a tough time getting to where he was now.

Though she had been surprised that he was interested in someone of a different species, and she thought the same of Eira in that matter. Interspecies relationships were just rarely seen in the Core, and especially someone of the Empire, that Cora didn’t quite know what to think of it still.

It may be a bit weird to think about, sure, but she wouldn’t say anything bad about it. As long as both adults in question were happy.

“Do you think this relationship will last?” Cora was curious to see what Eli thought about it all, since he knew Thrawn the best.

~~~

Thrawn slid into the speeder, and with curiosity as to where exactly they’re headed, his eyes flickering to their surroundings at the speeder began to move. Sure, he knew they were going somewhere that required a bathing suit, so there would be water, but that still left a number of possible locations on Coruscant.

“But does it truly get easier?” Thrawn questioned. “Or do you simply learn how to better hide what you’re truly feeling?” Or simply learn how to better navigate that world of the press, which Thrawn had no desire to learn. He couldn’t quite tell if everything still affected Eira, or if she was simply that great of an actress.

The answer would provide Thrawn better insight into her mind.

Ah, the ocean, that’s where they were headed. “I can’t say I have been to the ocean here before. The locations I’ve visited on Coruscant are unfortunately lacking.” And the places he had visited often related to the Empire on some level.

“I take it that’s where we’re headed?” An obvious question. “Do you visit the ocean often?”

~~~

Adlai didn’t know too much either on their departure time, which didn’t come as a great surprise to Skye. Everything seemed to happen so suddenly, that Shay was still working out the exact details for them.

“Me? Anxious over a little trip to Batuu?” She laughed, but her tone didn’t reflect her nonchalant attitude. Even though there were no guarantees that they would even encounter the Empire there, there was still that chance. That chance of running into Thrawn. That chance of facing an Inquisitor.

And just because she fought one once before, it didn’t mean she could do it again. Last time she had Kanan. Now it would just be herself.

She sighed and stood up from the couch. “Okay, maybe I am a little anxious. I just have a bad feeling, but maybe it’s just me overthinking every little thing.” She still wasn’t sure if her bad feeling was actually the Force trying to warn her of something, or if it was just her pessimism trying to scream in her head that all of her fears will come true.

“But it’s no use to overthink every detail, right? We just…we have to do our best and remain on guard, like always.”

Eli’s brows lifted in doubt. ‘This isn’t controversial?’ An interracial relationship with a beloved human actress. Somehow, Eli thought dating a non-descript officer would be better for Thrawn, even if it was frowned upon in Imperial circles. Of course, this wasn’t at all normal.

“Do people think our relationship is controversial?” He wondered aloud, “I mean, I’m not your direct superior….” He was avoiding the other question, wondering how to answer with all that he knew.

He could be blithely happy for Thrawn.

Assume everything would be great.

He was already showing he didn’t think that, though. “I hope it’s not too frowned upon…I haven’t heard much, though.” That could be good or bad. He sighed then, “I don’t think Thrawn and Eira will last. I think Thrawn’s going to get hurt – and he knows it. He’s just…hoping otherwise.”

Like any fool. And Eli wanted to hope for him. “But I hope I’m wrong,” he added. “For his sake.”

~***~

Eira did nod to Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s initial question. It did get easier. Of course, she also had plenty of training around emotions and navigating them. Perhaps not enough; she had still let it guide her out of the Jedi, and she hadn’t set them aside for Mitth’raw’nuruodo, but the Jedi weren’t meant to be emotionless automatons, either.

It did get easier.

“I’ve been noticing,” Eira wouldn’t return to that topic anymore directly, “Seems there is going to have to be plenty I show you, before you leave Coruscant for a while,” Eira noted, adding, “I don’t get out as often as I’d like.” Partially the paparazzi, as they adored shots like that. Last minute planning was the only time she could work it.

She just hoped this was last minute enough, or else Mitth’raw’nuruodo would be learning what it was like to have his body picked apart by people – no matter how in shape he was. “What sorts of places did you like to visit before you left your home?”

~***~

Skye was very anxious. It sounded in her tone, and Adlai frowned at it. His gaze followed her as she rose, noted the bad feeling. Adlai knew better than to doubt those. “I know not to doubt those feelings. Even in those without the Force. You don’t know how many times that feeling was all that saved us from an Imperial raid.”

And that it was often Shay who got that feeling, attuned to the area that she could pick up when it was going to happen.

He leaned forward, folding his arms over his knees, “I know it can be vague, but is the feeling hinting towards anything?” Sometimes there were visons, though that didn’t seem a part of it. At least, not yet, he didn’t know if she’d be plagued by them when she slept.

Ideally, it would indeed be an overreaction.

It was better not to assume that. Otherwise, they’d end up underestimating the situation and possibly make it worse than it could be.

Cora shook her head. As far as she knew, they didn’t exactly have that much difference in ranks to make their relationship controversial. The only controversial thing about it, from an occasional rumor, was that Eli was from Wild Space, and Cora was from the Core.

Even on the Chimaera, those Core beliefs still held strong in some people.

She didn’t say so though. Surely Eli already heard enough of his Wild Space background, and he didn’t need yet another reminder about it, when it didn’t bother her in the least. Besides, she was more interested in knowing why Eli thought the relationship between Eira and Thrawn won’t last. Maybe it was obvious though.

Cora leaned slightly closer to Eli, as if exchanging a secret. “Why do you think it won’t last? Did he say something? Or is it because Eira’s an actress?” Maybe the difference in their schedules and their lives in general was enough to create some friction in the future. Or maybe Eli knew something about Eira that Cora didn’t.

~~~

Thrawn found that he wouldn’t mind if Eira showed him more of Coruscant before he was assigned to somewhere else. They had common enough interests that maybe more museums would be included in that sightseeing, or simple places that Eira liked.

Places that would help him understand her better.

“It’s a shame that you don’t get out as often as you would like,” Thrawn noted, and he understood why. She’s a public figure. The media seemed frenzied over getting any picture that they could of Eira, no matter the circumstance. To have every step recorded and scrutinized? Thrawn could sympathize to a point.

When the question turned on him, Thrawn reminisced for a moment of his life back in the Chiss Ascendancy. There wasn’t too much that would surprise Eira. He was an often visitor of their museums and libraries, where he spent much of his free time, but Eira could easily surmise that answer.

Instead, he opted for something a bit more personal. “There was this bistro back home that I used to frequent with my brother, Thrass.” He recalled telling her a little bit about him. “I didn’t realize until I had left that it became one of my favorite spots to visit. I even met up with him at that bistro before I left home.” And it remained such a bittersweet memory.

Thrawn missed home. He missed the few he could call his friends, like Ar’alani, and he missed his brother, Thrass. But everything was for the greater good of the Ascendancy. “Is there anywhere that you like to frequent?”

~~~

With reason to believe just a feeling, Adlai agreed with Skye on what she felt like was the Force trying to tell her something. These feelings did her well during the Clone Wars, and even in her time spent with multiple identities, trying to stay hidden from the Empire.

She would be a fool to ignore it now.

Skye closed her eyes for a few seconds in an attempt to hone in on her feeling. To see if the Force would tell her anything else that may be pertinent to the mission. But after those few seconds, she shook her head. “No, it’s not hinting towards anything,” she said with some frustration.

Her master had always told her to trust the Force, and even as a Padawan, she grew frustrated by that statement. The Force could be so vague to the point where it was sometimes hard to tell what it was trying to tell her. How could she trust it?

But still, Skye did. And she would trust the Force in this case. “We’ll just have to remain on high alert for any imperials. Go ahead and assume there will be an inquisitor there.” She hated those words, but they were necessary. She had to remind herself of the potential dangers they faced. “Just…complete the mission as swiftly as we can, and to the best of our abilities.”

Eli almost rolled his eyes as Cora leaned in to ask for more. He did manage a bit of a grumpy, but not entirely unamused, scowl at the further inquiry into the situation with Eira and Thrawn. ‘Well, Eira’s most likely a rebel, so that’s not going to work….’ Although Eli wanted to say that, he instead just sighed.

“The actress thing is a bit of it,” Eli said, deciding that was close enough to the truth, “there’s also been some things that Thrawn’s said. I get the feeling he might just be a rebound and hasn’t realized it yet,” Eli offered a light shrug.

That made enough sense with the Adlai situation, right? Nothing serious on Eira’s part, and too serious on Thrawn’s part. It was probable. Likely, even. Did Thrawn consider that? Eli now had to wonder. Not that it mattered greatly with Thrawn’s main scheme.

“That could change, but that’s kind of the feeling I get from what he’s told me,” Eli clarified, “I could be reading it wrong, too.” He allowed for that, too. It was just his interpretation, after all. Not the reality.

~***~

‘How long ago did you leave?’ Eira had to wonder, but would refrain from asking. She knew how long Mitth’raw’nuruodo had been here. No doubt, he had been away longer than that. Did he know how Thrass was? Could he check in at all? Eira knew the pain, except that all the people she missed were dead.

She hoped Thrass wasn’t.

“Well, the gelato place,” Eira answered easily, since it was of a similar kind to the bistro, “but I do also like the gardens we walked through,” they changed with the seasons, after all, and were always beautiful, “and the Gatalenta embassy, though admittedly that is mostly to visit Amilyn and partake in a bit of skyfaring.”

It was out of the prying eyes and quite easy to relax in.

“I hope you’ll get to go back to that bistro and see your brother again someday soon,” she added, “just use all your vacation time at once someday,” a light suggestion; somehow, she knew that Mitth’raw’nuruodo wouldn’t be doing that. “Or convince him to come out this way. If your home is as cold as mine, you can introduce him to plenty here. Like surfing.”

They had arrived with the comment, just outside the beach when the speeder came to a halt. The beach was blessedly empty, except for a few of Eira’s own guards, out of sight, for the most part, and a couple of surfboards leaning against a shack where the staff of the private beach worked.

~***~

Naturally, the Force didn’t feel like playing along. It gave nothing when Skye attempted to focus, and Adlai sighed. They would have to be cautious, and assume the worst. That an Inquisitor would be there, and that they would have to deal with.

So, he nodded. “We will. It shouldn’t be too difficult to gather a bit of information and get back.” The main struggle was getting information off Batuu, considering its archaic system, but hopefully that wouldn’t be an issue and they’d get off with the information, too.

“Ideally, we’ll avoid the Inquisitor entirely, though I have a feeling that’s unlikely,” he sighed, looked at Skye again, “Eira knew you were different immediately. You can all…feel each other through the Force, can’t you?”

So, an Inquisitor was likely to know they were there.

And track them.

Maybe it wasn’t a skill every Jedi had, though.

Cora could sense that for now, Eli was still playing along with her requests and nosiness into Thrawn and Eira’s relationship. She wouldn’t pry too much further, but she would still try and get what she could take.

Gossip could be her weakness, she would agree to that.

The actress part made a bit of sense. It seemed that celebrities could never stay in relationships, though Eira and Adlai managed theirs for years. But the rebound made the most sense. That relationship had just ended, and already Eira was in a new one?

Cora really felt for Thrawn, if it did indeed turn out to be a rebound.

“Well, for Thrawn’s sake, let’s hope you're wrong and that this won’t end in heartbreak.” Heartbreak would only lead to an upset Thrawn, and an upset Thrawn may unknowingly take it out on his officers. She didn’t think Thrawn was the type to do that, but there was still a lot she didn’t know about their grand admiral.

~~~

The gelato place didn’t come as a surprise to Thrawn. It was one of the first places she showed him, and when he stopped by randomly one evening, Eira had been there as well. It was a place that obviously meant something to her, like the bistro back home did to him. Maybe one day he would inquire further about her fascination either with gelato or the place in particular.

The gardens were also a peaceful area, and Thrawn could see her appeal in them. The Gatalenta embassy though was a new one. “Skyfaring?” he wondered, musing at what that could possibly be. He hadn’t looked too much into Gatalenta culture, but if Eira frequented their embassy because of a close friend, perhaps he should do some research. See what he could learn.

“Oh, if any of that was possible, I would love to do it.” But it wasn’t. He couldn’t go visit his brother. It would be impossible for his brother to come there to visit Thrawn. It just couldn’t happen for many reasons, reasons he couldn’t explain to Eira. Reasons he didn’t even know if he could explain to Eli.

They arrived, and Thrawn immediately observed the surroundings. A relatively private beach, a few surfboards, and the gentle rolling of the waves. “I admit, I’ve never been surfing before,” he commented. “You may have to show me the ropes.”

~~~

No, Skye hardly doubted that retrieving the information would be the hard part. She was confident they could do that in their sleep. It’s the company they’re likely to encounter that would be the problem.

To Adlai’s question, she nodded. “Yeah, and it probably helped that we were both using the Force that night. It made it easier to feel her that night.” And it was a reason why Skye hid her Force use in the past. She didn’t know who was out there tracking and hunting down the Jedi.

“I can try and repress the Force some so the Inquisitor won’t immediately know I’m there, but will it work the entire time we’re there?” Skye shrugged. “I don’t have an answer for that.” There were too many variables to take into account. Will she inevitably need to use the Force to finish the mission? How powerful was this Inquisitor that may be there?

“If we do end up facing one, let me try and deal with him.” Skye sat back down on the couch and placed her hands over Adlai’s. “Their only focus is to kill Jedi. If it comes down to it, I can distract him long enough so that you can leave with the information.” It was a situation she didn’t want to think about, but what if it became necessary? Sure she got away last time, but could she manage it again?

Rebound seemed to make sense enough – it stopped Cora from prying further, so Eli made note of that one, when he had to answer questions. When he hesitated to say the relationship was good – because he couldn’t say that with a straight face. Thrawn would understand, certainly. He knew Eli well enough.

Sure, he wouldn’t be happy to know Eli was voicing doubts, but what else could he expect?

“I hope I am,” he said, managing a smile that was more a grimace, “I don’t want to see what he’s like after a breakup,” no doubt Cora was thinking something further. “I’ll have to deal with it more than the rest of you.” A chuckle, a sigh.

He didn’t think Thrawn would lash out…but he’d still be miserable, and that would bring down everything and everyone, in some way. A crew often followed the moods of their leader, and Thrawn was ever a visible leader. Present. Attentive.

“Though it might put Faro in a better mood,” he at least managed that comment to lighten it, and hopefully start to turn the conversation a bit away, as he added, “You haven’t spoken to her yet, have you?” He didn’t think so, he’d only spoken with her a little.

No doubt she’d pry the full details out of both of them, soon. When her mood was better. Not that it was terrible, but there was still some notable sorrow. And bitterness.

~***~

It was in the little that Mitth’raw’nuruodo said, that gave Eira hope. A stupid hope, but a hope that couldn’t be denied, all the same. By not returning home, it was because he couldn’t – and if others couldn’t visit him, it was also because they couldn’t. How she wanted to believe the secrecy was to keep the Empire out of his business!

How she wanted to believe that was the beginnings of a rebellion in him. Proof of his mistrust in the Empire, that could blossom into something greater, one day. It was a stupid hope. ‘But rebellions are built on hope.’ And Eira had to believe in that when no one else would. Without hope, she wouldn’t be involved in…well, anything.

So she didn’t press for further information.

She just filed it away as she exited the speeder, smiling, “I hoped you weren’t familiar.” Mitth’raw’nuruodo could take that for what he liked. “I’m only familiar enough. I had to do it for a role, but I enjoyed it. I always wanted to return to it.” It was thus something completely unattached to her former life.

Safe.

“I’m going to go get changed, then I’ll show you what I can. You should get changed, too.” She gestured to one of the smaller wooden buildings on the beach, the changing stalls, before she turned to another one.

~***~

Adlai nodded, wishing it wasn’t so easy right then, even if it had led Skye and Eira to each other, and so, brought Skye into his life. Eira had mentioned that Coruscant was different than other worlds, something about the planet itself seeming alive, so it made it easier to hide – ironic, really – so he doubted Batuu would be so easy.

One small act, far away, might be enough to trigger an Inquisitor.

“Well, let’s hope you don’t have to use the Force much,” Adlai noted with a sigh.

He did take Skye’s request seriously.

He had been in war before. He had been a part of this group for long enough to be certain the vast majority would pick suicide over capture, including Shay and Eira. He would have to consider not only abandoning Skye – but killing her to avoid her being captured. That was the terrible truth of it.

Some were better at it than others. He had no doubt that Shay would put a bolt into every single one of their head’s, and then her own, if it would protect the fledgling Rebellion. It was as admirable as it was terrifying.

“If there is nothing else that I can do, I will make my escape,” it left out stating that one of the options was putting an end to her so there was no torture. No spilling of information. He still bowed his head, hands under hers, “But only if there is nothing I can do. I have been in war against Jedi before, I’m not completely oblivious to where I can and cannot help.” Not to mention Eira had helped his own swordplay a bit.

He looked back up, “You have to promise you will not let me be captured, though.” Again, the alternative was unstated…but he thought she would understand.

Eli would have to deal with Thrawn more than the rest of them, which Cora did not envy one bit. Their grand admiral still intimidated her a bit, and while she respected him, she didn’t wish to be in the same room, alone, with him for too long. Especially if a breakup was inevitable.

Cora chuckled at the mention of Faro. “Yeah, it just might.” That poor woman, pining over someone who will never look her way. Or even be in the same room again.

She felt for Faro, she really did.

At Eli’s question, Cora shook her head. “No, I haven’t spoken to her since we got back.” Which she felt a little guilty about, but she would be sure to message Faro sometime after dinner. She was certain Karyn wanted to know how everything with her parents went, and if they liked Eli or not.

“I’ll need to message her soon. I take it you haven’t spoken to her either?” Eli seemed pretty busy since the moment they got back, so Cora doubted that as well.

~~~

Thrawn wasn’t terribly familiar to a lot of water sports. It wasn’t something he indulged in back home, but here he did occasionally swim for exercise. It was relaxing. Peaceful. He could ignore everything for just a little bit.

As Eira turned to move to the changing stalls, Thrawn moved to another one, and entered it before he began to change into the swimwear he brought with him. Just simple black swim trunks, nothing terribly fancy. Should he have brought along sunscreen? No, he’ll be fine.

Thrawn was slightly out of his element, and he didn’t want that to show.

He finished dressing quickly, and, leaving his clothes in a bag in the changing stalls, he went back onto the beach and waited for Eira to finish changing into her swimwear. He didn’t know how he would enjoy surfing. It didn’t seem like something he himself would have picked up, but maybe he would enjoy it. Maybe it would be a nice break from the chaos of his life.

Or maybe he would at least try and pretend to enjoy it, for Eira.

~~~

Adlai didn’t have to utter the unspoken option. Skye could easily infer it on her own. If they were captured, and tortured, information could be revealed. The fledgling rebellion would be snuffed out. And if they were captured, what would happen to their families? Somehow, Skye didn’t think Adlai’s family would be spared from the Empire’s wrath. Would all of Serenno suffer?

She nodded, “I promise I won’t let you be captured.” It pained her to think of that scenario, where she is helpless to save him. But she was a Jedi, and now a rebel. She was used to sacrificing for the greater good, and if the situation came down to it, she would do it again, no matter how much it hurt.

Skye tightened her grip around Adlai’s hands before releasing them with a sigh and moving them around his neck in a hug. “I think that’s enough of that talk for now.” While a necessary conversation, it was depressing. She loathed depressing talks. “Let’s talk about pleasant things now.”

Continue to have a pleasant evening together, before she truly did have to think of those choices if the mission turned south. “Or if you’re tired, we could head to bed,” and also have a pleasant evening there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back