• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Jori would not follow the upset Jedi to the cockpit. He stayed out near Adlai, unconfirmed but definitely Adlai, in case his situation took a turn for the worst. He could call up to the Jedi. Until then, he was fine not being in her confused space and making things even worse.

Adlai did come out of the blackness again, and Jori offered him a quick drink, not letting Adlai take it in his own hand but putting it to Adlai’s lips. The last thing he needed was Adlai freaking out again and passing out. “We’re on the way to a hospital. You’re gonna be fine.”

Sure.

Yeah.

Fine.

Adlai drank the rehydrating liquid, and this time memory hit without the visual, which was for the best. He was able to accept it easier, and sit up, without looking at the hand—arm—that was radiating with pain. “Skye?”

“That her name? She’s in the cockpit.” He gestured with his head, “I don’t think you should get up, you’ve had a few fainting spells.” He noted, “Just stay here until we get you to the hospital. She’s okay. Not bruised at all.”

~***~

Once the pants had slipped down, Eli returned his focus to her legs. The situation didn’t really allow for any lustful thoughts, and so working wasn’t an issue. He was gentle, and careful, as he made sure to clean the wound before adding bacta gel to it, and covering it up with a bandage. “There,” he murmured as it was done, and then straightened up.

Third Brother wasn’t back yet, so—

Just as he thought that, Third Brother was back, with someone over a shoulder. “What—who—”

“Naklor Spire,” he said, walking back to somewhere he could lock the person up in, Eli immediately following, hands balled into fists. “Got enough information to satisfy me, but in case Glowy Eyes wants more, now he can get it.” He deposited the very unconscious individual in a storage room and locked it without much ceremony. “Now we can get back to the Chimaera and get back on track.”

Eli followed, not to the cockpit, “What about the Jedi?” he asked, although he knew he shouldn’t, that wasn’t actually his business.

Third Brother just grunted. “She’ll tell Ae’lia.” And that was all that mattered, apparently, as Third Brother went to the cockpit and got the ship started.

The sound of voices talking shook Skye from her thoughts. The ship was headed for Gannaria, so she left the cockpit. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Adlai sitting up, talking to Jori. “I think it may be stupid to ask you how you’re feeling,” she chuckled, but not at all feeling the humor of her words.

Adlai had to be going through so much pain, both physical and mental, right now. Having a hand one minute and severed the next was such a huge shock to the system.

But they would get through this together.

She wanted to go over and hug him, but Skye thought that wouldn’t be wise. She may accidentally graze his wound. He may accidentally bump his arm against her. Instead, she walked over by his side and sat on the bench next to his legs. “We’re on our way to a hospital now.”

She didn’t quite know what to say. “It’s on Gannaria. They won’t ask questions, and they won’t reveal who you are, if anyone does find out.” She hoped. At the very least, those that do recognize him may be able to be bribed into silence. Skye would rather hope it didn’t come to that, but she would do anything to protect Adlai and his secrecy.

~~~

Eli was as careful on her leg as any trained doctor would have been. Cora smiled at him as she pulled up her bloodied pants, the wound not hurting as much as the fabric brushed against the bandage, and she opened her mouth to thank him right as the Inquisitor returned to the ship.

Returned with a prisoner, apparently.

Cora looked stunned at the unconscious individual slung over Third Brother’s shoulder. She stay seated as he went to lock the person up, with Eli following after him. The ship was small enough to where she could hear their conversation. She frowned at the nickname Third Brother gave Thrawn, and she looked up at them both when they came back to the area, with Third Brother heading for the cockpit.

Like Eli, she would rather they had more information on the Jedi than an associate of Naklor Spire. But how would she complain to him about that? The Inquisitor seemed so insistent that the Jedi would tell the other Jedi they’ve encountered, if they even knew each other. Did all Jedi know one another?

“Well this has been a useless mission,” she muttered, loud enough for Eli to hear. “Remind me to never agree to come on one of these again.” By ‘these,’ she meant a mission with an Inquisitor. They obviously didn’t like timework, preferring to obey only their rules.

Adlai didn’t know anything about Gannaria. To be fair, he didn’t know much about Batuu or the area around it; it’s status as a part of the Empire was questionable at best, even today. It had never really been a part of the Republic, either. However, he’d trust Skye, although the realization that he would…have a fake hand, almost made him pass out.

And then the fear of others knowing…as soon as anyone found out he lost his hand, it was over. “Yeah…can’t…can’t have that.” Then he realized the other person there, that they didn’t know well at all.

As soon as Adlai’s eyes landed on him, Jori chuckled, “Yeah, right, like I’m going to try and blackmail a Jedi.” He might, actually, but not in this situation. Sure, they got him into the mess he was in, but they also hadn’t abandoned him to the Inquisitor. “I would like to know what’s going on and why you were looking for the Spires, but I assume that’s a conversation for once you’re stable.”

Also assuming he didn’t just run off on them, another reason he suggested the ‘after he was stable’. Jori was still absolutely planning to get away on Gannaria. “You should just rest. Figure out your cover stories, all that good stuff.”

~***~

‘No, it hasn’t.’ There were many things they were after, after all. They were trying to understand what the Jedi was doing, and Eli didn’t have any doubt that this one they encountered, knew the other. It wasn’t a coincidence they were on the same trail, and the Naklor Spire representative would know.

Eli was annoyed that he and Cora had just proven to be dead weight. Useless.

And so he could only sigh at Cora’s assessment. “No, it hasn’t been.” He took a seat, “we have information. We know the Jedi’s still on this path. Thrawn guessed—he predicted correctly,” guessed was never accurate with Thrawn. These weren’t guesses. He knew, in some way, by all the other information.

“The Jedi were there for the Naklor Spires. Knowing more from them, will keep us on the trail,” if nothing else, he could at least get rid of any doubt about this being useless, “But yeah – I’m not doing another mission with an Inquisitor unless I have to.” This had still been a nightmare of an event.

Skye smiled at Adlai, the same as a mother would a sick child. She brushed one hand over his hair, smoothing back the disheveled tresses in an attempt to calm him down. To calm herself down as well. There was just too much to process in so little time, and in front of a stranger nonetheless.

A stranger that may have been the very reason Adlai was in that state.

Don’t think that way. That’s an easy path to thoughts of the Dark Side.

Clearing her throat, Skye stood back up and faced Jori. “I would prefer to get the information we need while we’re still in hyperspace. We just want to know about your leadership.” She would hardly wait for them to get to Gannaria before asking Jori for any information. That would be foolish, as she knew he would run the moment he could. And they weren’t the bad guys. They weren’t going to keep him as their prisoner.

But she would demand information while she still could. “And if you don’t, maybe I’ll just go all Jedi on you.

~~~

At least someone could see the positives in the mission. Cora could only focus on the pain in her thigh, which put her in a sour mood, and thus, not as easily able to see what Eli saw. That they did have information. That they could surmise more information about the Jedi given a different one also wanted something to do with the Naklor Spires.

“As long as we’re able to glean something from this mission,” she sighed. Right now, Cora just wanted a nap. Or something strong for the pain. Pain pills from a first aid kit would only do so much until she could get to an actual infirmary.

But after that, she would need something to get her mind off of the events of the day.

“How about we do something tonight, after dinner?” she suggested, changing the subject. “I’m sure Faro will need to be filled in with what happened, but maybe after, we could watch a movie or something.” Something relaxing, with just the two of them.

‘Ah fuck.’

It was too easy to dream of escape without telling them anything. Still, Jori crossed his arms in a defiant manner. He knew Skye was right. She’d drawn information from his unwilling lips already, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t bargain.

“Look, Jedi,” he said, “I’m not saying I won’t tell you – I kind of don’t get a choice in it, do I?” maybe that would hurt, maybe not, “but did you ever consider showing up, talking about why you wanted the information, would do you loads better than showing up in a fucking Imperial disguise and harassing everyone around?”

Probably.

And probably they couldn’t tell just anyone, either. “Why don’t you tell me the situation, and maybe I’ll even be up to making arrangements, before I just start spouting names at you? Or before I decide to go running off and telling leadership that I was hypnotized and we all need new IDs and to get off planet?”

~***~

Eli nodded. They were able to glean something. That would be worth something, to Thrawn, who could make plenty of connections. He wouldn’t be happy with how it was done, but that was also Thrawn’s problem. It was far out of Eli’s hands, except to tell Thrawn what happened, and try to offer ideas or perspective, where he could…but even he knew the Inquisitors were a bit out of Thrawn’s hands, as well.

At least until the Jedi were dead.

Two Jedi, now. Not just one.

This was pretty fucked.

He walked back to where Cora was and took a seat, “Yeah, I like that idea. So long as it’s nothing serious. I don’t think I’d be able to keep track of that kind of film right now,” something stupid, or something he’d seen before. His thoughts didn’t even go into the usual direction such a film would imply.

For one, Cora was injured and he didn’t think she’d be up for anything like that for at least a day. Then again, he’d never been shot before. He didn’t know how easily the medbay would fix this up.

Eventually, they did reach the Chimaera without further incident, and Eli felt the shift as they landed in the familiar hangar. He offered Cora his hand after typing a message that they’d need a stretcher. He could at least help her off the ship, and then get her in the stretcher.

Especially as 3rd Brother had no interest in this and just stormed by to get his prisoner.

Skye wanted Jori to stop calling her Jedi. She did have a name, after all, even if the name she currently went by wasn’t her true name. But then she bit her tongue and said nothing else on that matter. The less Jori knew, the better for everyone.

Threatening anyone to keep their silence was not on her agenda for the day.

“Considering the fact that you immediately recognized Count Malvern when we took the helmet off should give you enough reason why we couldn’t just show up and ask for information.” Their faces would be recognized, and people would question why the Count was on Batuu of all places, asking around for the Naklor Spires.

That would be way too suspicious, especially since the Empire was also after the same information.

“I wish I could tell you the situation,” she began, “but it’s so convoluted and involves Queen Breha Organa.” She wasn’t even certain if she could accurately recount everything that ended up with them hunting down the Naklor Spires. Whoever was behind the attempted kidnapping was covering up their steps too well.

~~~

Cora shook her head. “I agree, nothing serious. A lighthearted comedy is what I had in mind.” Something they could easily laugh at and not have to worry about thinking at all. Maybe even something that would let the two of them enjoy each other’s company, depending on how Cora felt after the infirmary.

She was ready for her thigh to stop hurting and to be able to walk properly again.

They eventually reached the Chimaera, and Cora took Eli’s hand as he offered it to her. They slowly walked off the ship, where the stretcher and Grand Admiral Thrawn was already waiting for them.

That was fast.

Cora was helped on the stretcher. “Good to see you’re still moving, Lieutenant Suvan,” Thrawn said with a polite nod. He turned his attention back on Eli. “I’ll expect a full report on what happened on Batuu.”

Jori wasn’t impressed with the very little that Skye gave him, to say the least. “Queen Breha doesn’t mean much to me. Are you working for her or something?” He had nothing against Queen Breha, he supposed, but he didn’t really know her. He assumed she was like any politician. Stuck-up, and made worse by nobility.

That was usually what happened.

He heard enough stories about Count Dooku, after all. He didn’t trust Count Adlai was much better than Dooku, in all honesty, but he wasn’t going to say that out loud, right now. “You’re, no offense, obviously the grunts if you don’t understand the situation well, so I’m gonna need to know a bit about who you’re working for, if you can’t give me the why.”

Adlai answered, “The Rebellion,” though he was still in pain, he could offer that much, “alongside others, but I can’t give their names. We’re not Imperials. We’re against them. We were led to believe your group is, too.”

Jori arched a brow, “Maybe.” Obviously, a Jedi would be against them. He didn’t think the Empire crafty enough to pit two Inquisitors together to draw out their group. “But not working for Breha?”

“You wouldn’t know the name I’d give you, and I won’t, anyways. But no.” Not quite. “We’re looking into her kidnapping. Or attempt. We think it goes high up in the Empire and we want to bring down the one responsible. We got a lead that that the path led through the Naklor Spires.”

“Someone tried to bury it, eh? I don’t know about any of that, honestly. But you’re just wanting to ask some questions and see where it goes? No arrests, no killing?”

“No,” Adlai said.

“All right,” Jori sighed, “if we were involved – and really, I don’t know – I’m a bit of a grunt, too – it’d be Keela Flecks who would know. She’s not on Batuu; sticks to a space station nearby. I can give you her contact info, and put in a good word. Your superiors can take it from there, yeah? Any name I can give for who they’d at least be meeting?”

“Demesne.”

~***~

Eli helped Cora to the stretcher, and glanced up at Thrawn as he approached, still too close to earshot to the Inquisitor. Then again, a report from him was also probably needed. Naturally, the Inquisitor didn’t understand certain military decorum, and stated as he continued walking off with his prisoner, “Oh that’s easy – they fucked off and I did all the work!”

Eli shut his eyes in agitation, biting the inside of his cheek. “It wasn’t quite that bad.” Although it wasn’t quite incorrect, and that pissed him off more. There was more nuance, for one. They hadn’t fucked off – Cora got shot.

He opened his eyes when he was certain the Inquisitor was gone. They had a certain…presence. “I’ll see you later, Cora,” he said to her, as the medical team prepared to take her away, before shifting his attention to Thrawn.

He only had one request for the Grand Admiral after all of this. “Please tell me I don’t have to report at the same time as 3rd Brother.” Thrawn wouldn’t be that cruel, would he?

Eli would go do it now to get it out of the way, there wasn’t much reason for him to go with Cora other than comfort – but he trusted the medical staff, and didn’t want to be in the way, annoying her, or the staff, with his hovering.

Skye was relieved that Adlai stepped in to answer Jori for her. He was a politician; he had a much better way with words than Skye did. And he was able to explain the situation better

And explain he did, even through his pain, to the point that Jori released a name for them. Keela Flecks. Skye committed it to memory before she grabbed her datapad. “I want that contact information now, before we get to Gannaria,” she stated, holding out her datapad for Jori to take and punch in the contact information.

He may be answering their questions, but that didn’t mean she trusted him to not run off without giving them everything they wanted the moment they landed.

Once he took the datapad, Skye turned back around to kneel by Adlai’s side. Talking was a good sign, right? She brushed a few stray strands of his hair back from the sweat that clung at his skin. He had to be in some great pain, and she frowned at this.

“Once we’re at the hospital, we can make sure you get the good pain killers,” she chuckled. Most likely the kind that would knock him out as they worked with his arm to fix him with a prosthetic hand. “I suppose it would be a stupid question to ask you if you were feeling any better?”

~~~

Thrawn raised a brow at not only the choice of words the Inquisitor offered, but also the prisoner slung over his shoulder. He wouldn’t ask. Not now. Later. He’ll inquire later when he summoned Third Brother to give his report of Batuu.

Cora was carried off on the stretcher. As Thrawn was aware of the relationship between her and Eli, he knew this injury had to affect Eli in some emotional way. And because he was not sadistic, he would not make Eli give his report at the same time as Third Brother.

“No, you don’t,” he answered with a shake of his head. “In fact, we can do it now while the Inquisitor is…otherwise occupied.” With his prisoner that Thrawn wasn’t informed of. With a sigh, Thrawn motioned for Eli to follow him to his office.

He knew Eli would want to be back by Cora’s side as soon as he was able, so while she was being taken care of in medbay, Thrawn would get the information from Eli first, so the man could then go see Cora after she was tended to.

“I take it that things didn’t go according to plan, did they?” He easily surmised, leading Eli down the corridors.

Jori sighed, but took the datapad – as well as his own – to copy over Keela Fleck’s information into the datapad. He would also send Keela a quick message while the Jedi was otherwise occupied with the politician.

The politician who managed a smile for Skye’s sake as she brushed at his hair, her fingers wonderfully cool on his too-hot skin. “That’ll be nice,” he wasn’t actually looking forward to the good painkillers. He knew that would mean he’d be unconscious, but that was necessary in this situation. He’d face it with dignity.

“I’m not passing out. Kind of preferred that,” he admitted, “the pain’s not great, but most of it isn’t sharp. Just…burning. Constantly. Like a frayed rope on fire.” She probably didn’t need the image, but that’s how his nerve endings felt. Nerve endings that had never before been nerve endings, because they had been part of longer nerves!

Great!

“Here,” Jori said, interrupting, “You can compare the information to what I have on my own datapad if you don’t trust me, which, don’t blame you,” he knew what he’d been considering, and what the Jedi had headed off.

~***~

Eli was appreciative of Thrawn’s concern, and willingness to handle this quickly. He followed him down the corridor, sighing under that question and shaking his head. “Maybe how the Inquisitor planned, but not us,” he said, but would wait to elaborate until they were within Thrawn’s quarters and he wouldn’t have to worry about sensitive information.

He could also slump into the chair across from Thrawn’s desk. “As soon as we arrived, the Inquisitor…I guess felt the other Jedi and went right to where they were. It wasn’t Ae’lia, though. We didn’t get the name of this Jedi, or the person she was working with. There were two of them, a man in a Stormtrooper outfit, and a Jedi in a Purge Trooper outfit,” he frowned, “whoever they’re with, they have access to…a lot.”

That was evidenced enough by the Inquisitor outfit they saw before with Ae’lia, and her friend’s Purge Trooper uniform. “Third Brother thinks it’s connected and I…don’t disagree. He gave the Jedi a name – Delkan Vook. Said it was his name, and he was Ae’lia’s master. He expects the Jedi to tell Ae’lia. I’m not sure what that will do.”

If anything. But Thrawn needed the details.

“He attacked them. He cut the hand off the Stormtrooper, but the Jedi made sure to take that so we couldn’t do a biological scan,” unfortunately, “the Stormtrooper is the one who shot Cora. He escaped with another, we’re not sure who the other is, but I’m guessing it’s tied to the Naklor Spires if we’re all on the same trail…which is the prisoner that Third Brother brought, although he claimed to have gotten all the information he needs. He did not brief Cora and myself on that.”

Because of course not.

“I took Cora back to the ship and he went to do reconnaissance, which…it seems he was successful,” Eli didn’t like giving him credit, but he had to, “So he’s…not wrong. Cora and I contributed little,” frustrating as it was.

A burning sensation. That made sense with the type of wound Adlai had. She herself hadn’t severed any limbs during the Clone Wars, but she knew of others who had. Of the stories, the pain the victims faced.

War was a dark time.

Jori spoke, and Skye turned her attention back on him. “No offense, but I really don’t,” she confirmed, taking both datapads to confirm the information. It wasn’t Jori’s fault she didn’t trust him. Well, it kind of was. But he was someone they picked up off the streets after a brief chase, and he was an associate of the Naklor Spires.

She wouldn't trust herself.

“Alright, looks good.” She handed him back his datapad. “We’ll be in contact with Keela Fleck very soon.” Not right then, as they neared Gannaria. Skye went back into the cockpit, where she brought the ship out of hyperdrive. The planet loomed before them, and she punched in the exact coordinates for the hospital.

~~~

Once inside the privacy of his own office, Thrawn gestured for Eli to take a seat and began his recount of the mission. A second Jedi. That was interesting, but not surprising. Not after the Lothal incident.

It seemed they attracted one another in hopes that they could actually do something united in numbers against the Empire.

Thrawn could agree with Eli that this rebel group had access to a lot. They were obviously well connected, with a lot of credits to spare. There weren’t many ways to gain access to Imperial uniforms without attracting attention.

Thrawn sat down in his own chair behind his desk, across from Eli. He listened as the officer finished recounting the events of what happened, with a slight frown on his face. “I see.” He wasn’t pleased with the way the Inquisitor handled things, even if he did get information from the prisoner. He completely casted aside Thrawn’s two officers, and one got injured as a result.

“Hardly a coincidence that all of these rebels and Jedi are on the same trail as us. They are all obviously a part of the same rebel cell, working together in tandem.” But the question was, where were they working? Right under their noses on Coruscant?

For a brief moment, his mind wandered back to Eira, and the connections she would undoubtedly hold as a well-respected actress.

“Thank you for the information. It was insightful.” And it really was. Thrawn now knew more about the rebel cell, and what kind of associates they were dealing with. At least two Jedi, and well connected individuals. The signs pointed to a Core world.

Would the Jedi be so bold as to operate on Coruscant, right under the Emperor’s nose?

Jori really didn’t take any offense.

He took the datapad back once she had checked it, and stayed in the area with Adlai as they landed. Skye was hailed and then given an area to land once they had a bit of information on why she was heading to the hospital. “Can you…help me out of this? I don’t need them seeing…me…in Stormtrooper armor.”

Jori sighed, but decided to help as the ship began its descent. Thankfully, Adlai was out of it, and just in the black attire underneath, by the time it had landed and Jori went to the doors. There was no stretcher to greet them, just a harried nurse who looked very surprised when she saw Adlai walk out without a hand.

Not because she knew him – just because he had no hand.

“This way,” no questions whatsoever. Adlai was taken inside, separated from the others, to get a new hand. It would be a lengthy process, and thankfully for Adlai he’d be unconscious for most of it. Not so for poor Skye. She’d have to be awake. Waiting.

Jori slipped away soon enough, of course.

~***~

Eli agreed with the assumption. He didn’t like it, anymore than he liked the idea that there were that many Jedi around, working together and not running scared. If they were banding together, that could be a serious problem to the Empire. He may not fully understand Jedi…but what he saw was enough to understand why they had to be destroyed.

The powers they had….

“Of course,” Eli didn’t really feel he needed to be thanked for it, but he still found a bit of a smile. Tired, still worried about Cora, but a smile nonetheless, “Is there anything else you want to know?” Eli doubted it.

This wasn’t art.

If Eli mentioned a picture he saw, Thrawn would want all the details of it, but this was likely enough for Thrawn right now. He’d get the rest of the picture from 3rd Brother, and Eli wouldn’t envy him at all. Eli would be happy to never interact with 3rd Brother again, although he knew he wouldn’t be that lucky.

He also wasn’t the sort to just go running away, and not face down the problem.

Skye didn't forget about her own armor. As Jori helped Adlai out of his, as the ship landed, she removed the armor of the Purgetrooper uniform, leaving her in the black attire underneath as well.

They didn’t need any more questions than what may be asked already.

Adlai was quickly taken back, and Skye was left waiting, waiting alone as Jori slipped away without further word. She couldn’t blame him, not after everything that had happened. Being chased by what he thought were Imperial troopers, facing down an Inquisitor, finding out that one of the troopers was a Jedi.

She was sure it was a whirlwind of a day for him. It certainly was for her. But poor Adlai?

Skye moaned and buried her face into her hands. She just hoped that Adlai would be okay, both mentally and physically.

And, ah crap. Shay needed to know what happened. And Eira. She quickly sent off a message to both of them, that the mission was successful in gathering information, but there was an accident with Adlai, and they needed to call her. She wouldn’t go into specifics right then, not through a message.

Eventually, a nurse came out and told Skye the procedure was a success and that Skye could come back into the room where they kept Adlai, even though he was still asleep. So she went into the room and scooted a chair close to the bed where he slept, and she waited. She waited for him to wake up, and she waited to hear back from Shay and Eira.

~~~

Thrawn shook his head. “No, that will be all for now.” He knew Eli gave all the information he could remember at the moment. “If I have any additional questions for you, I will call for you.” But Eli had done a great job at the mission recollection.

Now Thrawn had to deal with Third Brother. He wanted to groan. To drink an entire bottle of whiskey.

“You are dismissed.” He paused. “I’m sure Lieutenant Suvan will be happy to see you,” he said with a twitch of his lips. Which reminded him to send her a request to rest a few days to allow her leg to heal. A shot to the thigh may be an easy fix, but she would no doubt be in some pain for a while longer.

“Give her my well wishes.” And once Eli had left, Thrawn would send a message to Third Brother that he wanted to see him to go over the mission and what exactly had happened.

Stars, help him.

Eira had returned to her home by the time Skye’s message came through, back once again with fiddling with her new composition. Skye’s message took her from that nearly trance-like composing state, and then obliterated any sense of calm or focus when she saw that something had happened to Adlai.

‘Not dead.’

Eira would have felt that.

She rose from where she was sitting on the floor and immediately called Skye, trying to calm her racing heart and keep it out of her tone so that when Skye answered, she’d at least sound calm. It was only too easy to imagine what Skye was feeling, and when they connected over the call, she knew it wouldn’t be imagined anymore.

Distance was a thing, but it was always interesting how these calls seemed to obliterate that distance through the Force. So, when Skye answered, she felt those emotions wash over her, but she kept her own strength as she said, “I got your message,” of course, “How are you?" not that she couldn't feel it, only that she didn't want to dive into perceived accusations, or set Skye's pain as not important. It was very important. Just as important. And she would not hurry Skye to the point.

Shay would be not-gentle, later, if she hadn’t already called.

~***~

Eli was relieved there wasn’t more to say. He wished there was, but at least Thrawn understood he wasn’t leaving anything out intentionally. “Thank you, Thrawn,” he said, rising with a smile, “I’ll be sure to let her know,” of course he would, though he’d likely leave out that some of Thrawn’s consideration for his time came from knowing their relationship.

That wasn’t a bad thing, but it was still a little awkward.

So, Eli left, and hunted down the medbay where Cora Suvan had been taken, speaking with the nurses and learning she was in a state to be seen. That wasn’t much of a surprise, and after a few minutes, he was taken back to see her, smile softening as he approached her cot and took a seat nearby.

“Thrawn sends his well wishes,” Eli said first, to get that out of the way, “what do you want for dinner?” he asked then, figuring it was a bit better than asking how she was. She’d been shot and she was healing. She was no doubt better, but still healing, “I can pick it up when you get discharged to your room,” that way she didn’t have to worry about walking to the cafeteria and carrying it. He’d just bring it to her and they could enjoy the evening together.

~***~

Third Brother had taken his prisoner to their cell and caught up with Fourth Brother to learn a bit about what he missed. It wasn’t much. Fourth had looked into Thrawn’s date. Third reported there was another Jedi in all of this, “I didn’t get her name, though,” he hadn’t cared enough, and he’d let her go on purpose, “but we’ll see her again,” of course they would.

He got the message from Thrawn around then, and left Fourth to head off and give his report, buzzing the comm at Thrawn’s door when he arrived to be let in, still not giving much interest or attention to the nature of his office as he just went right to the desk, although he didn’t sit. Not immediately. He crossed his arms over the back of the chair.

“Heard you’ve been fucking around, too,” Third Brother pointed out, “rather than doing the job you’re being paid to do. Wish I got paid to fuck around,” he didn’t get paid at all. That wasn’t how Inquisitors worked. “Anyways, you want to pretend you’re doing the job by asking me some questions so you can tell Tarkin and get your good boy pat on the head, right?”

Even though he did fuck-all.

Third Brother would at least be polite enough to wait for confirmation of what Thrawn wanted with him. Maybe all he wanted was to be insulted by another blue man for an hour! Third Brother could oblige!

Skye didn’t have to wait long before Eira called her, which she was grateful for. She already fretted over Adlai, tears building in her eyes from worry, even though she knew everything was going to be okay. People survived losing a hand.

But somehow, she blamed herself for the situation that he was in. If only she had been faster. If only she had apprehended Jori before he could run.

The pinging from her holopad shook her from her thoughts, and Skye answered the call with a false smile. “I’m…hanging on,” she answered, which wasn’t far from the truth. She kept herself as composed as she possibly could, for what good would getting hysterical be? It wouldn’t heal Adlai, it wouldn’t change what happened.

Skye was good at withholding her true emotions.

“Adlai, he’s…” she trailed off with a sigh, looking over at the man sleeping on the cot. Peaceful. “We encountered an Inquisitor. Before I even knew what happened, he threw his lightsaber and amputated Adlai’s hand.” A hand that she had jettisoned into space, far from where anyone who intended them harm could grab it.

And the Inquisitor. Skye didn’t know how to break the news of the identity of the Inquisitor to Eira. Should she do it over a call? Or ask to meet her in person?

~~~

It didn’t take long for Cora to be patched up. The medbay was well equipped for blaster-related injuries. Her injury was a very common procedure, and once they were done patching up her wound and administering better medicine for the pain, Cora relaxed in the cot they placed her in, stating she could remain there for a while longer to allow the bacta to start healing her wound and for the pills to kick in.

The mundane of just sitting there and browsing through her datapad was disrupted by Eli arriving. She beamed at him, putting the datapad down on her lap. “Oh, I’ll have to give him my thanks.” Cora was a little surprised by that, but Thrawn seemed to care about his officers quite well. Most others in leadership positions wouldn’t send their own well wishes to an injured officer.

Dinner sounded nice right then. “I think after today, I deserve something indulgent,” she chuckled. “I think a cheeseburger sounds good right about now.” It was indulgent, it was comforting.

Fuck salads when she had a hole in her thigh.

“So how did the meeting with Thrawn go?”

~~~

Unfortunately, Thrawn didn’t have to wait long before Third Brother arrived. No chance to take a shot of something strong so that he could get through the conversation. When the Inquisitor entered Thrawn’s office, his eyes followed the man as he leaned against the back of the chair sitting in front of the desk.

He raised an eyebrow at the words Third Brother used to greet him. “I never just fuck around,” he commented. Everything he did had a reason. A plan. Just another move on his holochess set in the grand game.

He would ignore what the Inquisitor said next.

“I want you to recount the events of the mission,” he confirmed, folding his hands on top of the desk. “And please, do not leave out any details, including how you came back with a prisoner.”

Skye was doing that much.

That was just about all she was doing, but that was more than enough. Eira could appreciate that, as she appreciated that Skye had likely done enough to help Adlai, considering she wasn’t in a starship, nor did she seem to be on Coruscant. She was somewhere safe, with Adlai, who had lost his hand.

Eira shut her eyes as she heard the news, letting it sink in. A loss of a hand was both no huge thing, nor a small thing. People were, quite literally, attached to their hands. Some handled new body parts better than others. The same was true in droids as it was in humans. Some just…didn’t handle it well, at all, and couldn’t adjust to a false part.

Eira let out a hum, a sigh, and opened her watery eyes, “Adlai will manage this,” Eira said, “He’s joked about having robotic parts anyways,” she smiled, as tinged with sadness as it was with hope, “Because he’d be a lot stronger that way. He’s always had a fascination with robotics. He’ll be okay,” Eira promised.

Yes, it was terrible.

Yes, it didn’t diminish what happened, or the guilt Skye was feeling – but Eira wouldn’t let it all be bad, “I’m glad you both survived the encounter and got information. That can wait,” the information, of course. It didn’t need to be said over messages, “I know Shay will be calling a meeting soon,” she probably would want to figure out an action plan for the Inquisitors after this, which…would be difficult.

~***~

An indulgently delicious cheeseburger would indeed be what Eli grabbed for Cora, and enough fries for both of them. In theory. “I can do that,” he nodded. That was a fairly easy request because they pretty much always had them offered somewhere on the ship. Usually in every cafeteria, just as salad was usually readily available in every cafeteria. Those weren’t specialty items.

Specialty items could vary.

“It went well,” Eli answered, “I told him what I knew which…well, wasn’t much,” he sighed, “but he appreciated it anyways, and I’m sure he’ll make better use of it than I can, once he has the whole picture,” which meant, Third Brother’s part of the picture, as well. Third Brother had just shown up with a prisoner.

Eli and Cora hadn’t seen those events at all, and Eli wouldn’t have guessed any cunning was involved whatsoever. Not that he quite knew how Third Brother would get information from anyone anyways.

Eli wouldn’t talk to him.

“We’ll probably get a briefing of the next steps in a day or two,” or, Eli would, and maybe he’d be able to tell Cora some of it. That depended on several things, mostly how secret it was intended to be. Cora would understand that, though, if he couldn’t tell her much.

~***~

Third Brother was a bit amused when Thrawn threw his words back at him. It was bold, in a way. Plenty of officers refrained from stooping low enough to curse with any frequency, let alone to an antagonizing…well…equal, superior, and inferior, were all wrong. The relationship of Inquisitors and the rest of the Imperial Military was strange, but it let Third Brother know one thing: there wasn’t a damn thing any Officer, save Grand Moff Tarkin, could do.

And Grand Moff Tarkin was only an exception because of Vader. Darth Vader and Tarkin had some weird vibe they shared, which Third Brother had boiled down to suicidal ideation that both of them were too angry to act upon, but that was just the vibes he got from the Force. Which, could also be his own vibes.

When death was a promise and not a threat, life was pretty fucked up.

“Well, I figure the usual way anyone comes back with a prisoner. A person of interest is found and apprehended,” Third Brother said, before pushing away from the chair and walking around it to sit, “But sure. We arrived. I felt the disturbance in the Force – the Jedi signature you can’t feel and I don’t have time to explain,” he could, but what would it matter? Thrawn could never feel it.

Well….

“Well, maybe once upon a time you could have felt it, but like an idiot you turned that off,” Third Brother waved it away as he continued, “so I went to that, found the Jedi and her fucktoy,” that attachment had been deep, he felt it when he severed the hand. “It wasn’t Ae’lia, it was someone else. I didn’t recognize them, but I let them go because I knew they knew Ae’lia, and there’s one thing I know about my padawan: she’ll try to save me, as soon as she knows I’m alive. So, it won’t be long before she does something stupid.”

“The fucktoy shot your officer. Shit happens. Your other officer became useless after that, O Woe Is Me, She’s Shot, bullshit. So they went back to the ship and I finished up the mission. Not too hard to track a bunch of hackers when you’re an Imperial. Leave a datapad exposed and they’ll take it. One did. I ripped into his head and found out their leader is a Keela Flecks who lives on a space station called Nettani. Basically a giant, floating, black market of a hell hole,” no surprise there.

“And yeah, she had shit to do with the Queen Breha thingy, prisoner is one of her go-betweens and knew about it if you want to talk to him, or just go straight to Keela. Doesn’t matter to me. He knows ways to get onto Nettani. Figured you’d find that useful.”

Skye allowed a moment for Eira to soak in the news, and upon her first words, Skye let out a soft smile and a chuckle. “You’re right. He’s strong, and with our support, he’ll be okay. Stronger than ever.” She fully believed that, as well. The first few days with the new hand may be messy and clumsy, but she’ll help him. They’ll work together to make his prosthetic hand seem like his real one.

Adlai’s fascination with robotics would make this easier, at any rate.

Skye was still extremely grateful that the lightsaber didn’t cut him in half.

And she was expecting Shay to call a meeting soon, for them to discuss the information they received about the Naklor Spires. Skye nodded in agreement. “I am expecting that any day.”

Her thoughts went back to the Inquisitor, and what he said to her before their fight. Skye frowned. Should she tell Eira? No, not now. Not over a call. This was something that needed to be done in the safety of extreme privacy.

“There’s something else that happened,” Skye began, “but I can’t say it here.” She sighed. “We’ll need to meet somewhere private, like that skyfaring room.”

~~~

Cora looked forward to that cheeseburger with Eli, a dinner undoubtedly shared together in the privacy of her quarters, most likely. If her leg didn’t ache, she would even wonder what else an evening together in the privacy of her quarters would bring.

Most likely not that night. But one day soon, she hoped.

Eli told her that he told Thrawn everything, which wasn’t all that much. Well, if anyone can gather information from next to nothing, it would be Thrawn. And coupled with whatever Third Brother had to relay, there was bound to be something learned from this mission, even if it feels like nothing.

“I just hope we don’t get stuck with either Inquisitor again with whatever comes next,” said Cora with a roll of her eyes. Working with them was too much of a pain. “And hopefully the next steps will be more successful than today.”

~~~

Thrawn could only sigh at the Inquisitor’s trite nature in talking about the prisoner. He’s learned by now to just let Third Brother do as he pleased, and if Thrawn had any complaints about any actions that could put his officers’ health in jeopardy, then he would complain to Tarkin.

He may just complain to Tarkin regardless.

The Inquisitor mentioned that Thrawn could have felt the Force once upon a time. A long time ago. He raised a brow, but didn’t say anything on the matter. It would be something to ponder on later, whether or not Third Brother was serious, or if he was just fucking around to get inside Thrawn’s mind.

Either option was possible.

The Inquisitor confirmed that there was indeed a second Jedi. He was initially peeved that he had let the Jedi go with some foolish plan of drawing the other one out of hiding. Would the Jedi try something as foolish as trying to save an Inquisitor?

But the two had a long history. Even after all these years, maybe he still knew her quite well. The Jedi did thrive on hope. So he would allow this Inquisitor to follow his ludicrous plan.

He didn’t appreciate his callousness when mentioning his officer’s injury. At least it seemed that the prisoner would become useful, though. They would need that information to get onto Nettani and confront this Keela Flecks.

A moment of silence. “Very well.” There was very little else to say. “I’m not pleased that you allowed the Jedi to so easily get away, but for now, I am going to trust that your plan will work.”

Odds were, the details of the meeting would be arranged overnight, or tomorrow. Whether or not it would also occur that quickly was debatable, and would hinge on how quickly everyone else got back from their own missions – as well as Adlai. Eira doubted he would be moving for a few hours, if not a day or two.

She didn’t quite know how long this took. She’d never lost a hand herself, although she knew Clone Troopers who had. In the chaos of it all, she never could keep track of how long any of them were in the hospital for. Not today – it all blurred together. Perhaps back then, she’d had a better idea.

But that wasn’t all Skye had to say, and Eira’s lips turned down in a frown. The seriousness of this was easy to sense. She nodded, “All right,” they could meet. “I’ll arrange a time with Amilyn when you get back. How long do you think that will be before you and Adlai can return?”

~***~

Eli sighed, “I hope we don’t, either,” he was likely going to protest it – or at least find out why he had to be a part of any mission in the future, and make it clear how much he didn’t want to be involved in this. He knew it wouldn’t succeed, and Thrawn would have good reason, but that didn’t mean he had to like it!

A nurse stepped in, “Lieutenant Suvan?” she addressed the other with a smile, “The doctor said you’ve rested enough for bacta to start healing. You’re free to leave whenever you want, just remember to follow-up with us tomorrow,” and then they’d determine the schedule after that, but most likely it would just be the day after, and then they’d be done with follow-ups.

The nurse would leave after that information was passed along, and Eli rose, but offered his hand, “You can head back to your room – I’ll go get the food and bring it over, unless you’re feeling good enough to walk all that much.”

He wouldn’t press her to it, obviously. He was more than willing to play fetch.

~***~

Third Brother wasn’t ignorant to the way Thrawn arched a brow. He assumed the socializations of chiss were the same as most others in this area of the galaxy, and knew that meant Thrawn actually understood what was said. The implications of it, even if he didn’t know what to make of it. How could he? He’d closed himself off. At least, that was all Third Brother could figure from that strange latency that hung around Thrawn.

He wasn’t the only one that Third Brother felt it in. It was more common now – in this era where Force sensitives were hunted down, parents who recognized it (or even if they didn’t) shut it down fairly quickly, making their children useless to the Harvester Program. Something probably traumatized Thrawn into stopping.

“Either way, it’s not your concern, is it?” Third Brother asked Thrawn, “You, and your officers, need to learn to leave the Jedi well alone and let us Inquisitors handle it. None of you have any understanding of Jedi. Maybe have a meeting about getting out of the way?” Third Brother doubted that would happen.

Imperials were strange that way. Running away apparently wasn’t the correct answer to these things.

Third Brother rose, “I assume that’s all?” if so, he could leave.

Skye didn’t have an answer to Eira’s question, which for some stupid reason, made her want to cry. She wanted to cry over all the unknown variables. She wanted to cry over Adlai lying unconscious on the cot with a robotic hand. She wanted to cry over the stress of everything.

She just wanted to cry.

But she held it together, like she was supposed to.

“I’m not sure,” she said with a shrug. “I think it all depends on how well Adlai…adjusts.” Her voice caught in her throat, and Skye took a second to take a deep breath and recoup herself. “But if all goes well, I imagine we will try and return tomorrow.” Surely the hospital would want to keep Adlai overnight for observations, just in case.

“After all, I’m sure Shay will want a meeting scheduled as soon as possible.”

~~~

Cora smiled and nodded at the nurse as she updated Cora on her condition. Good, she didn’t have to remain in medbay any longer. She would feel much better if she was resting in the comfort of her own room, away from medical droids and sterile surroundings.

And she knew she would be in good hands if Eli stayed around for a while longer.

Cora didn’t immediately answer Eli’s question. She took his hand and slowly stood up from the bed, wincing at the residual pain in her leg. “I would say I would come with you, but I think for tonight, I probably shouldn’t overdo it.” The bacta still needed time to mind the wound, and she didn’t want to prolong the healing any longer than necessary.

She wanted to get back on her feet as soon as possible, after all.

“But I’ll meet you at my quarters, alright?” At the very least, she could walk to her room by herself.

~~~

Thrawn could feel his jaw tense as Third Brother continued to berate him, to demand him and his officers to stay away from the Jedi. How arrogant one must be to think they alone could handle the Jedi. Yes, there was history, and thus a better understanding, but the remaining Jedi were resourceful. They had to be to still be alive.

The Inquisitors would need help.

“It is our concern if the Jedi are working with the rebels.” Which, they were. And that meant part of these missions undoubtedly fell under Thrawn’s jurisdiction, as much as he didn’t want to work with the Inquisitor.

But missions going forward would need to be operated a bit differently, that much he could surmise.

“That will be all,” Thrawn said with a wave of his hand. He was eager to see Third Brother leave, and for him to indulge in a little spirit he kept out of sight.

“I can keep Shay at bay if I need to, Skye,” Eira said it, with all sincerity. Shay could be intense, but she could also remember how to be compassionate when she had a moment to think. To remember this was a long endeavor, and not a short sprint. “Just let me know if it gets that way.” It was easy enough to imagine.

In either case, she imagined Skye wouldn’t want to be in the hospital long, nor would Adlai, even if he ought to be there longer. The longer he was there, the longer he risked exposure in the media, no matter how backwater the planet. He’d want to be home, and going about as if nothing at all had happened to him. He’d act well, of course. It was in private that he’d need to be watched. Not to mention, figuring out how to let his actual doctor know what had happened, and to keep it under wraps.

There were a lot of things to start planning for, and Eira would start some of that work now, where she could.

If that meant staving off Shay, that’s what she’d do.

“It will be all right, Skye. Just focus on you two recovering for now, the rest I can worry about. All right?”

~***~

‘Yeah, that’s what I figured.’ Eli did consider walking with Cora all the way back to her room as she used him to get herself up, just to make sure. However, she seemed to want to meet him back, and he bit the inside of his cheek to keep from countering her, nodding instead, “That sounds like a plan.” If she needed help, she was on a ship full of people. Someone would help. Eli was certain of that.

Thrawn picked good people.

He would at least walk with her to the end of the medbay, “I’ll see you soon,” of course that didn’t need to be said, “but don’t rush – you know how the cafeteria can be with lines.” Sometimes. Either way, he didn’t want her to rush it if she needed to go slower, there really weren’t good odds he’d beat her even if there were no lines in the cafeteria!

Which, there were plenty of, because apparently he picked one of the busy hours. In a way that was good – he really didn’t have to consider beating Cora to her own room, but it was annoying going through the waiting process to get their food, and carry it back on a tray to her quarters. It still took too long, but he made it back, and rung the comm to be let in.

At least now they could rest, and not think about the mission, the inquisitors – anything.

Skye smiled and nodded. This time, after Eira assured her, she let a tear escape down her cheek. When was the last time she had truly cried? She couldn’t recall, it had been some time. Maybe years.

But now all she wanted to do was curl up next to Adlai and let it all out, and he was the one severely injured!

Taking a deep breath, Skye said, “Thank you.” It had been a long time since Skye could trust anymore, but in that moment, she realized she trusted Eira to do what she said she was going to do. And to help them when she could.

And so Skye trusted Eira when she said she was going to take care of things.

“I’ll let you go now.” She glanced at Adlai, who should be waking up soon. “I’ll keep you updated on everything as it happens, and I’ll see you soon enough.” For their meeting. For the reveal that Eira’s old master was still alive, and an Inquisitor. Not a conversation she was looking forward to.

~~~

Cora headed off back to her room, definitely not in any hurry as she tested out the limits of her leg. Bacta did wonders for injuries. Even though she was shot only a few hours ago, already the wound was beginning to heal, and she could tell. Earlier, she needed assistance to move. Now, she was making her way through the corridors, albeit slow and with a slight limp.

She eventually made it to her quarters, before Eli, and with a slight ache in her thigh, which was expected. She honestly expected the ache to linger for a few more days, but with the ability to do more movement with each passing day.

Cora sat down in a chair with a sigh of relief. Finally, no more walking for the rest of the day, if she could help it. She didn’t know how much longer Eli would be before he arrived, so she busied herself with checking her datapad, making sure there were no important updates or emails to attend to.

Eventually, Eli did arrive, and Cora opened the door for him. “I appreciate you doing this for me,” she said with a smile, looking down at the tray with the food. “The walk back here wasn’t too bad, but I could tell I was beginning to reach the limits of my leg for today.”

Eira would let go of the call then, but she got to work, calling Shay before Shay could think to call Skye first. Apparently, Eira was in first – so she explained it all to her, as best she could, and told Shay when she spoke to Skye to be gentle, and to not press. They had information, they would proceed from there.

Shay was gentle.

She also made sure that the hospital billed was paid not from any account Adlai was connected to. She had enough of her money spread out over aliases, and Adlai didn’t need that recorded. The fact that Skye had thought enough to dispose of Adlai’s hand was worth at least that much further consideration.

The others would not be informed, yet.

And Adlai would sleep a while longer, but he would wake. The drugs did wear off, and he woke trying to stretch, only to feel the tug of an IV that drew his eyes open, and reminded him of where he was, and why. At least he wasn’t confused, and seeing Skye was no surprise. His smile was weary, “Good morning,” it probably wasn’t morning.

He turned his head towards the…hand.

It looked like a hand.

It didn’t feel like a hand, but it also didn’t not feel like a hand. He could feel. His nerves were attached to it, electricity ran through it, and he could curl his fingers into his palm, although it was a bit more difficult. “Well. It works.” That was…a bonus.

He looked back to Skye, letting the not-hand relax.

~***~

Eli nodded, smiling, “Of course,” he was glad to be able to come and see her. Fetching food wasn’t really a chore in that light, “You won’t have to get up again for a while,” he said, going with her to the couch where they could both sit down and relax for the rest of the evening. Eli, thankfully, had no updates.

He’d likely have a few in the morning, when Thrawn tended to the prisoner, and decided how to proceed based on what Third Brother and the prisoner told him. Hopefully, Thrawn would give him until the morning.

“I’m glad you were able to make it here, though. That’s a good sign,” he said, “though I hope we figure out who shot you. They shouldn’t get away with that,” even if losing a hand was probably a fitting punishment, Eli considered they still deserved a bit worse, in general. For shooting Cora, mostly, but also for standing against the Empire.

Figuring this out couldn’t come quick enough.

For many reasons.

They would at least be able to settle in, “Do you know how long you’ll get to rest for yet? Or what medbay said about that?” Eli asked.

Skye smiled softly at Adlai as he slowly woke up, testing the hand and considering it. At least it looked like his real hand, though Skye wondered how it felt. Was he still in pain? Was he able to feel with the hand?

She leaned forward, stretching one arm out so she could brush back a few strands of his hair. “How do you feel?” Maybe a stupid question, but she wanted to know what thoughts ran through his head. About the hand, about anything.

“How does the hand feel?” she then asked, glancing down at the new hand. How would it feel for him if she touched it?

Another thought came to her just then. “I told Eira what happened to you. Take as much time as you need to recover, and then when we return, there’ll be a meeting.” And Skye still needed to tell Eira the truth of who the Inquisitor she fought once was. That she wasn’t looking forward to.

~~~

Cora smiled at Eli and his attentiveness. He didn’t have to help her out, yet he chose to do so. She was confident that not even some of her past partners would’ve helped her this much. Not that they were cruel, but there was a certain selflessness lacking.

She nodded, “Yeah, I can already feel my leg getting better, but I’m trying to not overdo it and aggravate the wound.” Which could easily be done in the early stages of its healing. With Eli’s next statement, she shrugged. “I think losing a hand is fitting punishment for a shot in the leg.”

Of course, there was the whole issue of being a rebel and working with a Jedi, but that was an entirely different matter. The Empire would get him, one day. She was sure of it. And justice will come to that Jedi.

As soon as Cora got the burger, she took a bite out of it. Who knew that being shot would work up such an appetite. “They seemed pretty confident that I would be able to walk around normally tomorrow,” she said after swallowing her first bite. “But they don’t want me to do anything strenuous for a few days. After that, I’ll go back to medbay for a check-up to get that all-clear from them.”

At least Skye’s hand still felt real as he felt the briefest of grazes from her fingertips. It was no surprise she was concerned about his state. He remained concerned about his state, and mistrusted the hand, no matter how much he knew about bionic hands and the likelihood that all would be fine – it would just take some getting used to.

He sighed as Skye mentioned a meeting.

Of course.

He expected nothing else, but that didn’t mean he was prepared for it. “I don’t know yet,” he wasn’t sure at all how he felt in the haze of worn-off drugs, a new hand, a meeting ahead. Tired. That was probably the most accurate thing, even if he’d just woken up. He wanted to go right back to sleep.

Probably not feasible. “The hand feels…fine. Just…it’s going to take time for me to get used to it, and how it responds.” Pulses of thought still moved it, but it felt like it was at a delay. “It’s slow.” Probably normal.

He looked away from his hand. Eira. He had been privy to all of that, and suspected the next part. “You’re not…going to tell her, are you?” of course Skye was. He wasn’t sure if it was a good idea, or the worst idea. She might find out anyways, but…she might not. Besides, it was also a subject that wasn't his hand, so it was something easier to grasp. For the moment. The hand was too new.

~***~

Eli wasn’t so sure the punishment was enough, but Cora…genuinely didn’t seem upset enough to demand further retribution. Then again, Eli had a feeling that thanks to Thrawn, he’d been closer to “front lines” than Cora had. That came with it a certain level of…distaste. And knowledge that Cora likely wasn’t the only one that rebel had hurt. Killed. That was the problem – there were always others who would suffer. More who would suffer.

But Eli was mostly concerned about Cora. ‘I suppose you don’t recover from a hand in the same way.’ As far as Eli knew, hands didn’t just grow back. The rebel would never be normal again. Which, was somewhat satisfying, so Eli dropped the conversation as Cora dug into the burger.

Eli nodded, “You probably shouldn’t do too much walking around, then. Walking around on these starships, you start forgetting exactly how much of it you do,” it was an enclosed space, and it all looked alike, but Eli knew that was deceptive. He put in way over 10,000 steps a day. These places were like cities.

“I’m glad to hear you’ll be back to normal soon. I’ll keep you up on what I do, in case I end up having to leave,” odds seemed good of that happening. It wasn’t as if the rebels were going to slow down, and Thrawn needed people he could trust to handle things.

He started on his own meal – he’d opted to get the same, not at all because this was as good an excuse as any to eat a burger without feeling any guilt about it. “So – what did you pick for us to watch?” he didn’t really care about what they’d be watching…but background noise, and something to distract, or fill in lulls, sounded like a plan.

“Well, take as long as you need. Eira will hold back Shay for us,” Skye chuckled, bringing her hand back into her lap. So at least Adlai could have a moment to gather his thoughts as he recovered instead of diving head first back into whatever Shay brought forward next.

Skye wasn’t surprised that the new hand would take Adlai some time to get used to. She would be surprised if he could just immediately use it like nothing happened. It would take some time and some practice to get used to it. “We’ll just need to practice with your hand.” And Skye would gladly help Adlai, with anything he needs.

Especially since she still felt that she could have done something to prevent the accident to begin with.

With the shift of conversation, onto Eira, Skye shrugged. “I feel like I should. She has a right to know.” But she knew of the complications that could be involved. Eira might be tempted to go after her old Master, and that would be dangerous. “Either way, she knows there’s something I need to tell her in secret.” So if Skye doesn’t tell Eira what’s going on, she would need to think of a lie soon.

~~~

Cora chuckled, nodding her head in agreement. Every position on the ship was an extremely active one, simply due to the fact that there’s so much walking to do. Maybe the more superior officers can get away with being less active, but it was still difficult.

Even in her own little lab, she is constantly moving around on her feet, jumping from station to station, coworker to coworker, to get everything done.

“Hopefully you won’t leave too soon,” Cora said. “Even if you weren’t hurt, you deserve some time off before going on the next mission regarding these rebels.” And he deserved some time away from the Inquisitors, if he had to work with them again. Which, considering how deeply involved the Jedi and the rebels seem to be together, seems very likely.

How lovely.

Cora had momentarily forgotten about the movie between enjoying her burger and enjoying current company. “Oh yeah!” She put down her food and reached for her datapad. “I decided on a comedy that came out a few years ago.” She was even certain that Eli had seen it, but truth be told, she didn’t imagine either of them would be doing a lot of watching.

It was more of something to fill the void of the background while they chatted, ate, and anything else.

Adlai wondered how well Eira really could keep Shay at bay. She’d want answered. She’d want to press on to the next thing, and quickly, before the Imperials were ahead of them. They couldn’t afford that. So he knew, he had to get well enough to leave so they could stay on top of things.

And so he could learn to use this new hand, as well. He certainly wasn’t going to learn much about how to use it in a hospital. Well, he’d learn the mechanics of it, and he’d get a good mental understanding, but he needed practice.

He could only sigh at the other aspect, though. Telling Eira. He didn’t know if it was a good idea or not. No doubt, she’d find out eventually. That was part of the problem. Would it be better if she was taken by surprise, or not? “I’ll trust your judgment,” Adlai said, “I just…think it has risks,” with who Eira was as a person, mostly.

She’d try to save him, which seemed to be what the Inquisitor wanted.

Accepting that she couldn’t…wasn’t something Eira would do.

“Not that any part of this is without risks,” he consented, “even learning to use my hand is going to have risks. I will…not be near as good with a blade, I suspect. Or a blaster.” Or anything. He resisted commenting it was good he still had his tongue; now was hardly the time for that. But – later, when he kept failing, he’d try to bring some inappropriate levity to Skye’s help.

~***~

“We’ll see,” Eli could think it was deserved, but he also knew the reality. Thrawn didn’t have that many people he could trust with these things, and he couldn’t step away from the Chimaera too often to handle these things himself. So, Eli was certain he’d find himself sent away sooner rather than later.

He chuckled as she put on the film, apparently forgetting, which was…well, cute.

The film was nothing too distracting, either. He’d seen it before. So, he was able to continue speaking with Cora, and when he’d finished eating, easily slide closer to her and wrap an arm over her shoulders, as well as make it obvious she could come closer whenever she wanted to. Lay over him, sit on his lap, whatever she preferred, really.

But he wouldn’t be the one pressing too far, given he was still hyper aware of her injury.

And the film still brought up the occasional point of conversation, as Eli’s fingers idly played with Cora’s hair, or over her shoulder.

“I still want to try real Port in a Storm one day,” the drink the protagonist had to down, and barely survived by his expression. Of course, a movie called Lightspeed Lightweight was bound to involve this infamous drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back