• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

“I spoke with her a bit on the bridge,” Eli said, “but not much,” it was too public a space, even if the bridge crew was limited and a fairly close-knit group anyways. He wasn’t about to talk about too much of his trip to see Cora’s parents there. Somehow, the dining hall would be better for that, and that was less private.

“She’s okay,” he added.

At least, she hadn’t seemed too upset. No doubt she’d already grudgingly accepted the odds with Eira were slim, even if this relationship now may have also made it seem somehow more likely. Faro just hadn’t drawn enough attention to herself – or Eira didn’t like women, but Eli hadn’t dared to suggest that yet.

He wasn’t sure that’d be a kinder suggestion than Faro not being, well, popular enough. Stars did tend to date other people of renown, from politicians, actors, to apparently military officials. Faro wasn’t even an Admiral.

“She’ll be glad to talk to you, though, I’m sure. A good distraction,” something Faro could definitely use about now. “I know she’ll want all the details I haven’t been able to give her, and no doubt you can explain things better than I can,” they were Cora’s family, after all. Eli didn’t quite speak the same language as them.

But he’d done well enough.

He hoped.

~***~

Eira changed quickly, stowing her own attire in the bag she’d brought and donning the purple and blue ombre bikini she’d decided was good enough to keep around. It wasn’t as revealing as a tiny string thing, though the top did tie in the front. Once it was on, she hadn’t forgotten sunscreen.

One bad sunburn thanks to the sun reflecting off water was enough. Though, without using the Force, getting it onto her back was a touch difficult. She gave up the effort on her own, deciding there’d be too many questions if she was successful, and Mitth’raw’nuruodo did notice.

She left the rest of her things in the stall, as well, and stepped out of it to see Mitth’raw’nuruodo was already waiting, and in just trunks. Her face warmed immediately, the urge to look away rising just as quickly. The fact she did initially look away likely betrayed some of her unfamiliarity with the situation – no doubt an oddity – but she looked back just as quick with an easier smile.

Composure back. Or at least, faked better.

And she thought sparring had been bad.

“I need your help a moment,” she said, and held out the bottle of sunscreen, “I can’t quite get it everywhere on my back. You can use it, too, if you need it,” she didn’t know if he’d already applied some, or if he even burned the way humans did.

~***~

The tightening grip, and the verbalized agreement, said enough. It was a hard topic. Likely, one they didn’t even need to address, and yet it was done. Said, and over with, ideally never to be brought up again, and never acted upon. They would do their job, and they would do it well. They wouldn’t be captured. They would succeed, as they always did.

They had to.

And so he wrapped his arms around her as she embraced him, and requested any other topic to take place. “Who said heading to bed has to be without conversation?” He chuckled a bit, squeezing her tighter to him momentarily before relaxing his grip, but not letting go.

He’d allow her to break it when she was ready.

“I am tired,” he had been all day, though that didn’t mean he wouldn’t still have some energy to linger a while longer now that he’d relaxed a bit with a movie, good food, and good company. He was certainly ready to head back to the bed, though.

At least Eli had been able to talk with Karyn, even if it wasn’t for very long. Faro deserved to be kept up to date on everything, as she was a good friend to them both. Even if it involved knowing how the parents' visit went. She did play a role in helping Cora and Eli get together, after all.

“I’ll be sure to send her a message after dinner. Maybe we can have a girls’ night together and I can tell her all the details, including what my parents think of you.” She gave Eli a teasing smile, knowing he still didn’t quite know what her parents thought of him.

So far, Cora got the impression that they liked him fairly well. Her oldest brother? Not so much, but she hardly cared about his opinion. He never liked any of her previous boyfriends either. Must be some older brother complex.

But instead of teasing him about it more, Cora decided to put Eli out of his misery. “They do like you, you know. I know it may not seem like it to you, but I definitely would know if they didn't like you at all.” She would never hear the end of it, if that was the case. Passive aggressive comments from her mother, messages from her father saying she could ‘do far better.’ But that hadn’t been the case so far.

She’ll actually have to call her parents soon, just to confirm it.

~~~

Thrawn hadn’t thought much on aesthetics before. Rarely did he find himself double glancing at someone because he found them physically appealing to his senses. But Eira in the bikini…he found himself affected more than he cared to admit.

He stared for a moment too long before he averted his gaze. Sure, they were now dating, but that didn’t mean that openly staring for too long was acceptable. It was still far too early in their relationship for this. And she may still be trouble yet, Thrawn had to remind himself.

But he didn’t miss the way Eira glanced at him and looked away, albeit briefly. He thought nothing much of it in the moment, except for the way it made him feel. A momentary flicker of satisfaction.

Apparently, he should have brought along sunscreen, as Eira asked for help to put some on her back. “Of course.” Thrawn grabbed the sunscreen from Eira, squirted some onto his hands, and carefully rubbed it into her back, definitely not thinking of how soft her skin felt under his fingers.

He felt as if he did a thorough job, though maybe with a touch that lingered too long. “I hope that was adequate,” he said, bringing his hands away. “Maybe you could reciprocate?” Thrawn ultimately decided that no, he didn't need a potential sunburn while commanding his ship. Not while he was still getting over the hurdle of dealing with nosy officers wishing to pry into his private life.

~~~

While she wouldn’t have minded staying up a bit longer and talking, Adlai was tired, and so Skye wouldn’t force him to stay out there any longer than was necessary. “Come, then let’s go to bed.” They could still enjoy one another’s company in bed, until the first one falls asleep.

Skye stood up, and trailed one hand down Adlai’s arm until she reached his hand, and clasped it in her own. “There are other things we can do in bed,” she hinted with a knowing smile, before gently pulling on Adlai’s hand to guide him to the bedroom. She wouldn’t push him to do anything he was too tired to do, but she would leave the suggestion hanging in the air.

But it’s been a long day already, and they had a mission coming up soon to worry about. Skye already hinted at her own anxieties, but she wouldn’t show more if she could help it. She was the Jedi. She was supposed to be the brave, fearless one, right?

Some days she still felt like a young padawan, trying desperately to control her emotions to impress her Master.

Eli smiled a bit at the girl’s night, and rolled his eyes a little at the teasing, even if it did want to spike his anxiety again. He still wasn’t entirely certain – but thankfully, Cora didn’t leave him hanging. He’d had reassurances throughout the day, but this felt more real. They were further from it, and Cora may have heard a bit more from her parents by now.

Or perhaps the lack of anything was the good sign.

He didn’t know.

Either way, he visibly relaxed. “I don’t suppose next visit will be better if they like me?” He asked, frowning a bit, but quite curious. He knew this was a kind of interrogation visit, but he hoped he wouldn’t be subjected to the same thing each time. That would be hellish.

“I’m glad they at least like me, even if I’m just some Wild Space bumpkin,” he said that with some derision, wanting to roll his eyes again but refraining. It was irritating to remember that was honestly how some people saw it, and Cora’s parents were among those.

But, there was hope.

Cora’s parents were giving him a chance, and they were her parents. She had to get her own willingness somewhere. So, he’d continue to foster that hope and try to see them through this transitory period.

~***~

Eira made sure to brush her hair over a shoulder to keep it out of Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s way, while trying not to burn up in her own blush. Somehow, she knew what she was asking, but the knowledge didn’t help when there was still a new aspect to it. A new aspect that her public persona didn’t hint at, and was somewhat frustrating. She should seem more experienced, but she also didn’t want to feign anything about the emotions.

So she burned under the touch, but kept her posture at least relaxed rather than tense. That was at least easy enough; she didn’t want to give the impression that his touch was unwanted, or only needed for that simple act.

When he was finished, she turned back to take the sunscreen bottle, “Yes, it feels like you got everywhere.”

She was not surprised to be asked the same in turn. She doubted he was anymore able of reaching his back than she was her own. “Of course, though you may want to at least sit down,” she chuckled, “my hands might not reach your shoulders,” a bit of play, her hands could reach, but he was still too tall and she had no desire to stretch up like that.

He could sit and it’d be easier for her to make sure to get everywhere on his back.

~***~

Adlai rose, easily wrapping his hand around Skye’s when it reached his own, and smiled at the not at all hidden implications in her statement. There were indeed plenty of things to do, and he had no problem humoring such thoughts as he let her lead back to the bedroom.

Once they had passed the threshold he did step in closer to wrap an arm around her waist while his other hand still remained in hers, to place a kiss on the side of her neck as he pulled her back against him, enjoying the way she felt nestled against him. “I think you’re a bit overdressed for bed,” so was he, though he’d dressed down.

The hand on her waist offered to help with her problem, though, toying with the bottom of her top. No, he wasn’t too tired for some things, especially since it would make the sleep all the more pleasant. And it would certainly help put some anxieties to rest.

Or at least, distract enough from them.

Cora smiled as she saw how Eli visibly relaxed with her assurances. That no, her parents didn’t absolutely hate him because he was some Wild Space bumpkin, or for some other ridiculous reason that they may come up with.

Her mother certainly hadn’t been impressed with his height, but she’ll get over that, if she hadn’t already.

“It should be easier than last time. It still probably won’t be the easiest visit to get through, but the more they warm up to you, the better the visits will get.” Her parents were still hard to deal with at times, and Cora wouldn’t lie about that. It was better to prepare Eli for what their future may be like if they continue dating for the long-term.

Which Cora really, really hoped was the case.

She wrapped one arm around Eli in a side hug as an attempt to comfort him. “And Wild Space bumpkin or not, you did win over my sister, and if my parents still have any doubts they’re not telling me, she’ll help talk some sense into them.” But she didn’t think that would be necessary. Her parents were beginning to see Eli for the amazing man that Cora saw, she just knew it.

~~~

Eira’s skin was softer than anything currently in Thrawn’s life, and he didn’t want to stop what he was doing. But he had to. It wasn’t proper. He had to remember the bigger picture at play. And other reasons he struggled to come up with in the moment. But he did enjoy the reactions he elicited from Eira. Even if she did try to hide them, his closeness allowed Thrawn to carefully read her body language.

There was some satisfaction to be had in the way Eira reacted to his hands. It reminded him of the evening they had sparred together, and the blush that came to Eira’s face after an accidental compromising position.

She agreed to do the same for him, and upon admitting her slight problem to him, Thrawn chuckled. “Of course, anything to make it easier for you.” He turned and knelt on the sand, so that Eira may reach his shoulders better.

“Do you have the opportunity to visit the beach on occasion?” He knew it wouldn’t be often, as she manages to keep a busy schedule, but he wondered how often Eira takes the time to do those activities that she enjoyed.

Oh, how he didn’t want to think of what Tarkin, or even Eli, would say about his current situation. In the sand, waiting to get sunscreen rubbed on his back.

~~~

The evening was indeed spent quite well. Fun activities which dissolved into pleasant conversation and soon a restful sleep.

Well, Skye had hoped for a restful sleep, but her dreams were filled with violent imagery.

A faceless enemy. A red saber. An agonizing scream.

She woke with a sharp intake of breath. It was still early, and Skye didn’t want to rouse Adlai from his sleep. He deserved to rest after dealing with the media as he had been. She didn’t move from the bed though, she only sat up, her heart still pounding in her chest. If she didn’t have a bad feeling about their mission to Batuu before, she sure did now.

But what could she do about it? Just be careful and remain on guard. Skye certainly wouldn’t back down from a mission because of her dreams and feelings. She wouldn’t have accomplished anything during the Clone Wars if that was the case. She would have never been knighted as a Jedi.

Skye drew her knees up and rested her head on them in an attempt to calm and recenter herself. To assure herself that nothing will happen. Everything will be fine. It had to.

Eli grinned a little at that, shook his head, “I wasn’t expecting it to get too easy,” he chuckled. He was glad he had won over her sister, though it was obvious not the brother. He debated asking about that, and decided against it. He didn’t want to ruin the mood that much and sour his own confidence.

It was a problem for later.

He lifted his own arm to match the gesture. “I think it should still be at least a month before I visit again, though,” he said, a bit playfully, “definitely after you meet my parents, though.” So both sides were covered, but also because he wanted to show her that side of things, too.

He wanted her to meet his parents.

And he hoped they’d be accepting. He doubted it would be anywhere near as stressful as meeting her parents had been – he could at least reassure they weren’t that judgmental. He wouldn’t suggest anything about that right now. Cora would have her own stresses over it, and that still shouldn’t be for a month.

“At least surviving that, I’m pretty sure I can survive this Jedi business.”

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo knelt down, and Eira grinned a little as he repeated a question he’d already asked in the speeder. “Are you so distracted you’ve forgotten the answer to that question already?” she teased as she also squirted the lotion into her hands before kneeling down as well, and reaching to his back to begin to rub it over him.

She wouldn’t offer him the answer again, not unless he really had forgotten, and it was just a slip of a distracted mind scrambling for anything to ask about that wasn’t her attire or further contact. She’d been told it could be distracting; it was probably some proof he’d yet to watch some of her films.

She wasn’t lost to distraction, thankfully for her sake. Not that she didn’t enjoy the situation, and being able to actually feel his skin, only that there was something familiar in it – too many times helping someone out backstage had made something like this not atypical.

She still let her fingers linger more than they would normally. She was dating him, after all. Certainly that was allowed. “Or are you just that nervous about doing something new that you’re forgetting yourself, Mitth'raw'nuruodo?” An easy out to not admit distraction, as she drew her hands over his shoulders, let them slide down his chest, and leaned against his back for a moment.

Forward. Definitely forward. But it had been too easy to do, and well, acting gave her some ideas she may have never put into action in reality.

~***~

Adlai was a light sleeper.

War did that. You learned to wake at the slightest thing, or you died, so Adlai was aware of Skye waking up. He didn’t suggest that he was aware immediately, in case she intended to get back to sleep immediately.

When she didn’t, however, he feigned stirring, as if he hadn’t come right to wakefulness. No need to alarm her with that. ‘Or to let her know that her own feelings….’ Yes, they hadn’t translated to deep sleep, either. Despite their evening ending, her worries had lingered in his own mind, unshakeable before the mission.

Not a good sign.

He blinked open his eyes and looked up at her, sitting, and lifted a hand to touch her arm. “Skye?” At least his voice sounded sleepy, regardless. He was still tired, so that didn’t need to be feigned. “Bad dreams?” He guessed easily. Her feelings would have followed her, too. Either given her more answers, or more questions.

Maybe both.

He began to sit up, to wrap an arm over her shoulders if she didn't draw away.

Cora wouldn’t lie, she was nervous about meeting Eli’s parents. She didn’t think they would be anywhere near as bad as her parents, but there was still that possibility that things could be awkward or a bit rough in the beginning as they all got to know one another.

Then Eli mentioned meeting his own parents, and Cora groaned. “You promise they won’t be as bad as my parents?” She didn’t know how she could handle the situation being reversed. Surely anyone who raised Eli had to be kind people and didn’t play upon the same passive aggressiveness as her parents, right?

Great, now she was nervous.

But the subject was easily changed, back to the Jedi situation. “How are you feeling with this mission?” A mission she still wanted to come with, so that Eli didn’t have to face the situation with an Inquisitor and a potential Jedi alone. But things were still uncertain. They would need to come up with a good reason for why Cora should come along

~~~

It seems that Thrawn had already uncharastically and unexpectedly flubbed in the form of a repeated question. He wouldn’t know what he would blame the slip-up on. Maybe the unfamiliarity of the situation. Maybe the barely-clad woman behind him, rubbing sunscreen into his skin.

Hands that were softer than they had any right to be.

“Maybe you’re the one making me forget myself,” he said with a light teasing tone, although in the moment, he wondered if that was entirely the case, especially as her hands wandered over his shoulders and down his chest.

It had been a long time since he indulged in such touches, that he almost fell into new territory with Eira pressed against his back. His mind certainly faltered and wandered into lustful thoughts. It was only all too easy.

“Were you also hoping to make sure my front had sufficient sunscreen coverage?” The tone was light and teasing, and Thrawn reached one hand up to gently rest on top of hers. He wouldn’t complain if that was indeed what she wanted to do.

~~~

Lost in her thoughts, Skye wasn’t aware of Adlai’s own stirring until she tensed under his unexpected touch and he spoke her name. “Yeah, just some bad dreams,” she confessed, even though she didn’t want to add any additional worries or stresses onto him.

He had enough to deal with already.

Skye didn’t draw away when he wrapped an arm around her. She leaned in closer, comforted by his presence. “You should go back to sleep.” Adlai sounded sleepy, and Skye already felt guilty for waking him up. “I think I’m just going to stay up.” It may still be early, but it wasn’t so early that she would try and force herself to go back to sleep when she knew that wasn’t going to happen.

So attempting to find something to distract her for a little bit would have to do. What that would be, she didn’t know yet. Maybe sparring with some training droids. Or going back to her room and trying to meditate. “I’m sorry I woke you up.”

“I promise,” Eli had nodded and agreed, a light smile on his face as he wondered how anyone could have worse parents. He could only imagine Tarkin having parents that stringent and stern. Perhaps that was why he wasn’t married…even if his parents had to be long dead.

Of course, the mission took priority, as Eli hoped, even if it wasn’t a fun topic. He shrugged, a little, “I’m not exactly thrilled, but I don’t think it’ll be too hard if I can just keep myself out of any fights.” If he couldn’t, well, he doubted the Inquisitor was opposed to friendly fire, and Eli could end up getting hit. Or worse.

No, it was nothing to be thrilled about, that was for sure.

He squeezed her shoulder, “I’ll probably come back alive. Maybe in two or more pieces, though,” it was meant as a joke, but saying it…well, the reality of it was too possible to be a good joke. “Ach. Sorry.” He realized it was in bad taste right after saying it, and sighed, “I don’t really like having to work with Inquisitors who don’t…you know…fully respect the Imperial military or anyone in it.”

They saw them all as obstacles, more than help.

~***~

It was certainly tempting to agree that she was, in fact, attempting to make sure all of Mitth’raw’nuruodo was covered, except it was also fairly obvious to Eira where that led. His legs weren’t entirely protected by his trunks, after all, and some images were absolutely best left in her head for now, where they couldn’t do anything but fluster her.

And fluster her it did as his hand fell over hers, making an easy pull back not as easy.

“I assumed you didn’t forget to do that much yourself,” Eira chided lightly, “although it feels like you did forget,” the sunscreen could have already settled, of course, leaving no lotion-y or greasy feel behind, but Eira also doubted that, too. “Do you need help with the rest of you?”

‘Voids, Eira, why? Why?’

She could have denied it entirely, or told him to do it himself, not ask if he needed help. Where was the nearest place to escape to? Or at least hide her face? Well, it was pretty well hidden right now, anyways, until he turned around.

She was never doing this again. Or sparring. Next thing would be no contact and fully clothed! Mitth’raw’nuruodo wasn’t the only one too distracted to talk. Or be allowed to talk.

~***~

The tension was obvious. Skye was distracted, and not by anything good. Her alerts were up – but not enough to notice his stirring. He was worried as she leaned into him, and indicated she wouldn’t go back to sleep. He wouldn’t waste his time arguing with her, though. He only sighed and let his hand rub over her back.

He would try to sleep again.

“It’s okay,” he said, “I’d rather be woken when you’re struggling than not,” he said, to alleviate some of the guilt. “I’ll go back to sleep,” he promised, though he wasn’t sure he’d actually fall asleep. At least he’d be resting. “Try not to do anything too strenuous.” He chuckled a little, though he wouldn’t be surprised if she did.

It was one good way to stay distracted and keep the thoughts out, which she probably didn’t want to dwell on. It was unlikely to bring anything to mind that would be an epiphany moment about what was to come.

They already knew the dangers to expect, and neither were deluded about how dangerous that could be.

There were too many ifs for Cora to be comfortable with Eli’s words. What if he couldn’t avoid a fight. What if he was targeted by a Jedi. What if the Inquisitor decided Eli was disposable. Too much could happen, and she found herself concerned for Eli’s wellbeing.

She groaned at his attempt for a joke. It wasn’t funny in the least, as it could actually happen. The Jedi could attack him. The Inquisitor could use him as collateral damage. He could get caught in the crossfire. Anything could happen, and he could very likely return in two or more pieces. If he returned at all.

Cora sighed. “And that’s why I wish there was some way I could come with you.” It was because of the Inquisitor’s blatant disregard for the Imperial military, or really for anyone other than themselves. It was a hazard.

Not that she could stop them, but maybe two officers would serve as a better reminder of their place? “If the Jedi even does show up, will they be acting alone? It seems that they tend to work with others.” Like other Jedi, or other rebels. “Maybe you will need to bring on some additional help, just in case.”

~~~

Thrawn had neglected to cover any other part of his body with the sunscreen, and he was about to pull away from Eira in order to finish the job himself, but he stopped himself when she spoke and offered to help.

Naturally, his mind wandered to acts he couldn’t initiate in the public eye, even if they were on a private beach. Anyone could be spying, as the paparazzi was notorious to do so, and if anything like that was leaked to the media? Well, then his career would be over. He couldn’t lie to Tarkin about his true intentions with Eira in that case.

“Are you offering to help?” he asked with an offer of a way out for her, in case she wanted to back out for reasons of not wishing to do too much in public, or for other reasons that he couldn’t quite discern, as he wasn’t looking at her face.

He would be able to read her and the situation better if he could just angle his head in the proper direction, but current positions made that angle just a bit too awkward.

“If you wish to help out with other areas, then by all means, be my guest.” Thrawn was partially serious, but also, he wanted to see how Eira would react and respond, and if she was as bold as she pretended to be.

~~~

Skye realized she was entering unfamiliar territory. How long had it been since someone worried over her and noticed her struggles? Not since the days of the Jedi Order, and in that realization, she came to recognize how lonely she had been for so many years. Even if she had met and worked with many different people, she had been so alone.

And now, she wasn’t.

“I won’t make any promises on not doing anything too strenuous,” she chuckled, leaning up to give Adlai a kiss on the check before she moved to slip out of the bed. She found a shirt on the floor, Adlai’s discarded shirt from their earlier tryst during the evening, and slipped it on. It would be acceptable until she returned to her room to dress for whatever activity she ultimately decided on.

“I’ll see you in a few hours.” With that, Skye would leave the room to allow Adlai some peace and quiet to attempt to get more sleep. Or to give him some alone time while he stewed over the dangers of their upcoming mission.

There was certainly enough for the both of them to worry about.

“I know,” Eli said, and he both wished, and didn’t, that Cora could go along with him. After all, he wanted her presence around him in general, but it would also be dangerous for her to be with him. She’d be in as much danger of being collateral damage or being targeted by the Jedi – though if what the Inquisitor said was true, he got the sense that may be a little unlikely.

Not entirely – he and Cora weren’t civilians, but if they didn’t open up hostilities, perhaps the Jedi would at least only harm, and not kill. ‘Why were they such a threat?’ Questions upon questions, but he pushed them down for the moment.

“Well, it’s not clear. The Jedi has shown up alone, and with a group. We’ve only had the two encounters, so we’re not sure what’s normal,” Eli noted. “Not that additional help wouldn’t be useful against even a single foe, but I’m just not sure what that would be.”

The mission itself was informational, not Jedi hunting. If it was that, the Inquisitor could go without him. As it was, there was just a chance of the Jedi showing up, and a chance no one would. Or that other rebels would, sans Jedi.

“Though, it is possible with things as they are in Batuu, we could use more communications help. You’ve worked in remote worlds; do you have much proficiency in communication and relay rigs, if we need to get a message through the triage quicker than usual?”

~***~

‘Yes, it’s obviously an offer.’ Was what Eira thought, but she understood the offer of freedom when it was made and wasn’t going to look at it twice. So she slid her arms back over his shoulders, patting one shoulder, “Only if you have questions about its application, but I think you understand it quite well.”

It was still said lightly, still with enough playfulness not to completely backtrack. She recalled Darius’s frustrations with her right then – too much tease, too much play, not enough of what he’d wanted. She had been too slow for him, her personality had contrasted with his expectations.

A part of her that she despised didn’t blame him; what she knew of relationships wasn’t exactly natural, it was from films, shows, where the build wasn’t ever natural, either. The mixed signals had been a lot, apparently.

It didn’t excuse what he’d tried to do.

She grabbed the bottle and offered it to Mitth’raw’nuruodo over his shoulder once more, rather than walk around to face him, “I’ll meet you in the water when you’re done,” she didn’t want to linger in those thoughts, either. She’d get this back on track, and push out the confusion of her own thoughts of pacing and wants – to let the focus shift to the water, and teaching Mitth’raw’nuruodo how to surf.

She took one of the boards and went to the water with it, laying it flat once she could and pushing it out a little more, before getting atop it – sitting – and looking back for Mitth’raw’nuruodo.

It seemed that the Jedi and the rebels they were working with weren’t consistent in their appearances. That could be a problem, for if the next time they show up somewhere, the Jedi bring along even more friends. Even alone, Jedi could be dangerous and unpredictable foes.

With more allies? A nuisance for the Empire.

Maybe nothing was exactly normal for them - a great way to keep the Empire on their toes.

Eli asked about her knowledge in communication and relay rigs, to which she nodded. “I wouldn't call myself an expert in that area, but I’m fairly confident I could get the job done on a world like Batuu.” If that was Cora’s way into the mission with Eli, then she would take it.

“I’d say that if it’s just you and the Inquisitor going to a world like Batuu, you will certainly need an officer proficient in communications to come along in case an emergency or some other issue arises.” It could be an easy way for her to get in on the mission, if Thrawn agreed to it. And if he didn’t…then, well, they may just be out of options and out of luck.

~~~

Thrawn nearly wanted to see how Eira would fluster if he continued the little charade of not knowing how to properly apply sunscreen, or to insist that yes, he did need her help. Would she falter and refuse out of embarrassment? Or would she easily accept?

He wouldn’t test out her limits. Not now. Instead, he grabbed the bottle and set to finish covering his torso and arms, his gaze occasionally flicking upward to watch Eira get into the water and sit on the surfboard. Well, he shouldn’t keep her waiting for too much longer.

After he finished, Thrawn stood up and walked over to grab his board, leaving the bottle of sunscreen in its place on the sand. He swiftly joined Eira in the water, laying the board flat before he copied her and sat on top of it - although with not as much grace as he’d hoped. This was far out of his element, after all.

“What next? I am trusting you to fully lead the way here.” He squinted slightly under the sun’s rays reflecting off the surface of the water. He had grown too used to living on a star destroyer. The water, although a little cold at first, now felt pleasant on his legs as he floated on the board. Yes, this was a far cry from what he was used to, but so far everything had been pleasant, including the company he was with.

That was probably as good an excuse as they were going to get to bring Cora along, and even then, Thrawn might resist if he felt this was becoming too personal. Eli wondered how much either of them could push that, but wouldn’t voice that concern. He knew this was more personal than practical.

The question was, if Thrawn would recognize that.

And if he did…if he’d care right now.

“Then that’s how we’ll approach it,” Eli said, smiling, “We need additional help with communications, because if the Jedi is there, we could need to communicate things quicker than the usual relay allows from Batuu.” It was the truth, though there were plenty of other communications officers who could do that.

Not many who would want to. Or who would volunteer to be around an Inquisitor. Cora might manage this.

Eli had finished up his meal by then, and smiled, “You might want to approach him this evening, or else early tomorrow,” he was leaving quite soon, after all. “I don’t think the Inquisitors need to be informed, though.”

They’d just find out and go along with it.

~***~

Eira was confident enough that she could remember the basics to get them started, once Mitth’raw’nuruodo joined in the water. “The first thing you’re going to want to do, is attach the surf-leash to one of your legs.” Eira shifted, balance always careful, to bring her legs up onto the board. “Since my usual stance is to have the right foot back, I attach it to the right leg. This helps keep you from losing the board, and can help orient you if you go down.”

She had made sure to get boards with the leash, and it wasn’t difficult to put it around her leg. It was a simple Velcro, after all.

“Then, you’re just going to practice balancing for a bit, before we even try any waves,” Eira shifted from sitting, to laying, perhaps an odd choice, “I tend to find it easier to rise from here.” Since it had been a bit, she was a bit slower on the rise. The twist required, and then the quick pull of her legs forward as she jumped into a crouch. A bit wobblier; she was resisting using any bit of the Force to make it easier.

She still had good balance naturally, so it wasn’t too problematic. She didn’t slip off and fall, and was able to get to her feet, and into her usual stance, right foot back and turned, left foot forward and pointed straight ahead, knees naturally a little bent.

The water still rolled from the small waves that were further out, having broken up well before they reached this close to the shore.

“You can do it slower, without the jump,” Eira added, “Whatever you find works.”

No, Cora didn’t think that the Inquisitors needed to be informed about her coming along for the mission. Or, if they did for some reason, she didn’t want to be the one to tell them that. There wasn’t a reason for them to know, though. They weren’t the leaders of this mission. That was still Thrawn, even if he wasn’t tagging along.

Cora nodded, “I’ll be sure to ask him this evening.” The sooner he was contacted, the better. Any last minute requests may be denied on the simple fact that they were last minute. At least this way it could seem that they actually put some thought into the request of her coming along.

Last minute desperate pleas may not come across so well.

She finished up her meal. “And all we can do is hope that he will see our reasoning for my inclusion on this trip. I just don’t think it’s wise for only you and the Inquisitors to go on this mission when there's potential rebels and Jedi that may be there as well.” She still assumed that both Inquisitors would be tagging along, assumed that they traveled everywhere together for some reason she wouldn’t understand.

One, two, or more, either way, they were still an intimidating bunch, and it wasn’t fair that Eli had to go about this alone.

~~~

Thrawn followed what Eira suggested. He attached the surf-leash to his leg, his right one, so he could mimic Eira’s stance better and determine if he needed to readjust or switch legs. He wanted to say he was confident in his balance well enough that he wouldn’t go down so easy, but he also knew not to get overly confident.

This was a new sport. He needed to take his time and listen to the teacher.

Thrawn observed the way Eira rose on the board, starting out as laying and then slowly making her way to a standing position. He followed, laying down on the board, then carefully twisting his body before he pulled his legs forward into a crouch. He didn’t jump as she did, instead opting for a more careful approach as he continued to test the balance of the board.

So far, so good. He wobbled some as he got on his feet, and there was a moment where he was afraid he would fall off into the water. But Thrawn steadied himself, and copied Eira’s stance, right foot back, left foot forward, and knees bent just slightly.

“And here I thought you were actually going to challenge me,” he joked with a small smile. Thrawn knew not to test his luck too much, because that was a great way to ensure he ended up in the waters. “I suppose this is now where the hard part starts?”

Eli just didn’t think it was wise for anyone to be alone with the Inquisitors, but he would. The Inquisitors could probably handle any threat on their own, without Eli or Cora – though Eli still strove to not be useless on the mission. “I’m sure Thrawn will see the logic of it, or if not he’ll have a good reason to deny you.”

Ideally, he would.

Eli still questioned Thrawn’s logic plenty, even where it often worked out. Like right now with this Eira situation. However, if it worked, it worked – and Eli would have to accept that once again Thrawn had assessed his foe and won.

Assuming Eira was a foe.

Regardless, Eli moved to take Cora’s tray to add to his own and take away to the conveyor belt to get cleaned up, “I’ll keep you informed about what I can regardless, though. If I go alone, I’ll keep in touch,” so she knew he was okay and wouldn’t have to worry too much.

~***~

Eira chuckled at Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s comment, shaking her head, “No, no, only introduce you to something new. If it challenges you, though, all the better -- but I think I'd have better luck challenging you by taking you to learn how to tango,” this was, in fact, the easy part. She didn’t mind the agreeable hum as he noted what was up next was the hard part. “The reason I did it lying down, is that you’re probably going to approach a wave that way, and have to get up from there, rather than sitting.”

He hadn’t asked, but she might as well explain.

“The next step is to paddle a bit on the board, laying down, to get familiar with where you want to be when you get up, and then,” she looked out at the water, where the waves were breaking, how they were forming. It didn’t look like it was going to be a day of terribly high waves, but she pointed out, “you’ll want to try and catch a peak, or as close to a peak, as you can,” one was forming further off, “you’ll paddle to it, turn the board so your back is to it, and then catch it. It’s a bit easier to show, so I’ll do that,” she added.

Catching it was hardly descriptive of what was done, but it really was all about placement, and then timing to get up. “Sound all right?”

If it did, she would let them paddle closer, so he could get a feel of that and figure out how he wanted to lay over the board, before she’d move to show him how it was actually done – rather grateful for the smaller waves since it had been a while.

She managed not to fall into the water on catching that first one, and maintained her balance as she rode the wave closer to shore, not trying anything too fancy – both for her sake, and Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s.

Cora would trust Thrawn’s judgment, no matter which outcome he decided on. Of course, she may resent it a little if he denied her quest to join the mission, but he seemed to look beyond emotionally driven decisions, which this entire situation was to an extent.

Cora didn’t want Eli to go on the mission alone with the Inquisitors, because of her emotional attachment to him. And she was sure Thrawn would know that. Or did he not consider emotions as a factor as much as others? He was still such an enigma to Cora, and she would trust Eli to ‘translate’ anything necessary concerning the Grand Admiral.

“We’ll just have to hope he’s in a good mood,” she said with a chuckle, walking with Eli as he took the trays to the conveyor belt. “If not, I do expect you to keep me updated as much as possible, or else I may just worry.” She smiled to show she wasn’t entirely serious, although she probably would worry about him a little too much while away with the Inquisitors.

She didn’t know if Eli’s biggest threat was them or the Jedi he may encounter.

“Well, if our recommendation gets denied, then I’ll see you later?” Cora most likely wouldn’t see him again until after the mission, if he were to leave so soon. She smiled and gently squeezed his arm. “Everything will be fine.”

~~~

“I’m sure you would challenge me by taking me to learn how to tango,” Thrawn chuckled. “Although, many have compared the similarities between the different styles of hand-to-hand combat and dancing.” He wasn’t too familiar with tango though, so he couldn’t speak of their similarities.

And that was something to think of more another time. They were surfing, not dancing.

He refocused back on her teachings, absorbing every little word Eira spoke. The concept seemed simple, but he knew better than to underestimate anything, even a hobby like surfing.

Thrawn nodded. “Yeah, I think that sounds all right, but I look forward to watching you show me how it’s done.” And he would do just that. He followed her, paddling closer to the waves. First, he watched how she moved on the board as she caught the wave and rode it closer to shore.

It seemed simple enough, but Thrawn would not get ahead of himself.

Now it was Thrawn’s turn. He turned as the next wave approached and mimicked what Eira taught and showed him. He wasn’t as fortunate as she was, though, and as he attempted to stand on the board, he realized his incorrect stance a moment too late, and he couldn’t maintain his balance. Thrawn fell into the water and just as quickly resurfaced.

There was no irritation at his mishap. He never expected to land the movements perfectly the first time. “That was quite fun. I think I’m ready to try it again.”

‘Yeah, hopefully he is….’ Though Eli had some doubts about that, considering the mood he left Thrawn in. Not particularly bad, but not particularly happy, either. He considered how he might advise Cora in approaching, then thought better of it. He’d shared the gossip he could, and the only way to ‘help’ would be to add in the truth about the Eira situation. Which, he couldn’t do, because there were too many risks in having that knowledge spread. No, they’d just have to hope his mood had improved.

He smiled, still, and nodded, “Yeah, I’ll come back,” he wished he could make it a genuine promise, or sound more secure in it. The Inquisitors were intimidating, though. “Going to see Thrawn now?” Eli thought he’d at least get to walk her back to her room, but he supposed it was better that she head that way now.

And he shouldn’t walk her to his door. That would probably just make her intentions too clear, and if Thrawn was in a mood to deny that for reasons, then Eli shouldn’t make it more obvious than it would be. “Good luck talking to him,” he said, “I’ll try to see you before I head off if you get denied, at least,” he promised.

He would do that much, swing by her room or where she was working, before he went off in a death trap with an Inquisitor.

His tomorrow was sounding great.

~***~

Eira couldn’t help but wince when Mitth’raw’nuruodo lost his footing and slipped from the board. She was more than relieved when he surfaced, and seemed to think it was fun, smile widening on her lips. She hadn’t made a fatal mistake – he was up for learning, and would take his failures with grace. “You did good,” she made sure to praise, “a lot of people don’t even make it up on their first go.”

Which wasn’t bad; they felt how the wave would be while lying down, or sitting on their board – if sitting up didn’t topple them. She knew sometimes that was recommended, but she honestly hadn’t thought Mitth’raw’nuruodo would need that. “Let’s keep going – we’ll have you surfing before the evening’s over!”

Not that there would be any major waves to challenge either of them. Nor would Eira remain perfect the entire time, either. Not using the Force to maintain balance did mean some slips, and plunges into the water. The leash always kept her tethered to the board, and helped her find her way back up without becoming too disoriented, thankfully.

And it was fun, even crashing and burning a few times. That, and just being with Mitth’raw’nuruodo, all thoughts of rebellions and empires out of her head. Of course, that was the idea…activity had a way of putting such things far away, where dinners and talking didn’t. The distraction of it all was good.

Cora nodded at Eli, “Yeah, I’m going to see him now. It’s better to get this out of the way than to stew on it even more.” And she could know the answer sooner rather than later. She smiled at Eli, and bade him goodbye for now as she gently squeezed his arm. She wanted to give him a kiss as well, but resisted the thought.

Later, after she had talked to Thrawn and were in the comfort of her own quarters.

Cora approached Thrawn’s office with some slight trepidation. What if he did refuse her request? It wouldn’t be the end of the world, of course, but it would make her worry about Eli, as he goes off on the mission with the Inquisitors, who were not exactly known to fall in line with orders from other officers. Only Darth Vader. And maybe Governor Tarkin.

She wasn’t really sure of the hierarchy there. She just knew to try and avoid both individuals when possible.

The meeting went better than she anticipated. Of course, Cora expected the worse, so she wouldn’t be disappointed by the result, but after explaining to Thrawn how they would need additional help with the communications on Batuu, due to the slow relay and possibility for the Jedi to be there, he saw the need for a communications expert like her to join along.

And smiling on the way back to her quarters, Cora sent off the good news in a message to Eli.

~~~

Thrawn felt some odd semblance of pride at the small praisal Eira gave him. He, an admiral for the Imperial Navy, feeling his chest swell with pride at the compliment Eira, a potential connection to the Rebels he had to remind himself over and over again, gave him.

But he ignored the negatives his mind was eager to spout at him. He only focused on the moment, and the fun he was having with enjoyable company.

The evening progressed, and Thrawn became more and more comfortable on the board, even managing to surf a couple of times without falling over or nearly losing his balance. But even Eira fell a couple of times, which made Thrawn all the more comfortable on his own falls.

But Thrawn, even with his stamina, grew tired and hungry the longer they continued on. “While today was fun, I think I am ready for something to eat.” He found himself looking at Eira for any hint of disappointment. “This afternoon was exciting though, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to try something new.”

And the bonus was that there were no cameras to be seen on their private little beach. That was a blessing, but somehow, he still had a feeling Governor Tarkin would know of what happened.

Eli was glad to receive the news, and made sure to inform Cora of the planned time for departure with their single Inquisitor. He knew, this wasn’t about to be fun for either of them, but he appreciated Cora coming along to share in the event anyways. With any luck, they would succeed in their goals on Batuu, and find more about the mysterious event with Queen Breha, and why the Jedi was interested in it, too.

When he woke that morning, he moved through his routine on auto-pilot, and was out the door of his room fairly early. He grabbed himself a caf, and in the hangar found to his dismay the Inquisitor was already awake, and was sitting outside the ship…meditating.

Eli reconsidered going back to get Cora, but assumed she was well on her way by now, so Eli approached, trying to hold back that fear he felt. “Good morning, Inquisitor.”

The Inquisitor lifted his head; Eli couldn’t really tell if he had disturbed him much. He didn’t know if the man’s eyes had been opened, or closed. He certainly got the sense the Inquisitor wasn’t happy, but then again, when were they? “You’re late.”

“No,” Eli said, feeling some anger rise in place of the fear. “There is plenty of time to go through checking the ship, and—”

“Already done.” Third Brother rose.

“Then…how can I be late?” Was he just trying to fuck with him?

“Because you would have been late if I hadn’t had the foresight to go ahead and have the ship checked over.” He stated bluntly, and moved up the ramp to head in, “Nav’s set already, as well.”

Eli tried not to bristle.

It was too early for this.

~***~

Adlai woke, alone. ‘Where…?’ Then he recalled his earlier late night conversation with Skye, when she had been disturbed from her sleep by the Force. Dreams. Whichever. He sighed to himself and rose from his bed, wondering if Skye was already prepared for the day as he went through picking out some casual things.

He’d be changing attire on the ship, anyways. He didn’t need to put on anything spectacular.

He cleaned himself up, and sent a quick message to Shay to make sure everything was still on track. Unsurprisingly, it was, and she responded almost immediately to let him know where they’d need to head.

He just nodded to himself and put his datapad away before going to find where Skye was – starting in her room, but he’d move on from there if he didn’t find her there, to try and figure where she was spending her time that early morning.

‘Hopefully, this will be quick. Easy.’

He knew it wouldn’t be.

~***~

The day wore on, with evening approaching. Eira hadn’t been sure how long they might spend out here – it ended up a bit longer than anticipated. Eira, too, was getting tired of surfing, and so was quietly relieved when Mitth’raw’nuruodo was ready to call it quits. “Of course,” Eira beamed, “I get to try plenty of new things with my own career, but I do not often get to come back to things. It was nice to relive it.”

She walked towards the shack to lean the board back up against it. The staff would get it later and put them away, but for now she had no concerns of being disturbed. “I can have a meal delivered to the beach, if you want to linger longer,” Eira said, “but I understand if you need to return to your ship.”

She didn’t want him to.

At the same time, she did. Undistracted conversations still had their risks. Then again, what was more distracting than little clothes and a sunset, with no one around to disturb them? Some people would probably kill for such a moment; all she had to do was pay. Not that she was foolish to think they were completely alone, of course.

“You’ve already spent quite a while away.”

Cora took the time of their planned departure to heart and arrived not much longer after Eli arrived. It seemed something had already happened, as she could tell Eli seemed a little on edge.

If the Inquisitor weren't so powerful and so…scary, she would give him a piece of her mind, as she just knew he was the reason behind Eli’s mood.

Cora walked up behind Eli and gently set a hand on his shoulder. “At least now you don’t have to deal with him alone, right?” But now that meant she had to deal with the Inquisitor as well, but if it meant Eli didn’t have to deal with him completely, then it was worth it.

“Come, the sooner we can get this done, the sooner we can get away from him, right?” She whispered, although she was certain he would still be able to hear her.

The heard everything, right?

Good, let my displeasure for his attitude be known.

~~~

After a morning of vigorous exercise to try and forget her dreams and what the Force wanted her to think before the mission, Skye showered, grabbed a cup of caf, and sat on the guest bed, her bed technically, staring out the window, her mind wandering back to her thoughts.

Some time later, she felt Adlai approaching her bedroom, and as he opened the door, she turned her head to look over her shoulder with a smile on her face. “Good morning.” Hopping up from the bed, she moved over to Adlai, leaving her empty mug on a dresser on the way. “I hope you were able to get some sleep after I woke you up this morning.”

Which she still felt guilty over, even if it was out of her control.

She raised her arms to wrap around his neck. “I’m sorry I didn’t return, I was pretty restless this morning.” And she needn't explain why.

~~~

Thrawn thought about how he may need to head back, but he also didn’t want to. He wanted to linger a little longer, to enjoy her company and some time away from work while he could.

When was the next time he could properly see her in private? For the good of his investigation, of course.

And he was a fool to think that’s all it ever was.

“I think I can spare just a little longer for some food,” he replied with a small smile. “I would have just taken a meal in solitude on my ship, anyways.” Rarely did he visit the cafeteria and lingered with his subordinates. On occasion, he would, to gauge their morale and the latest…gossip on the ship.

“What did you have in mind for a finishing meal for us here?” he wondered. Something, dare he thought it, romantic to set the mood of the setting sun over the watery horizon?

Eli jumped when he felt the touch, but quickly relaxed when he saw it was just Cora, and let out a sigh, trying to release the tension and frustration that momentary startled. “Yeah,” he agreed, wanting to get this done and over with as quickly as possible to get away from the Inquisitor.

First was the trip in the starship, though. Closed quarters.

If Third Brother heard, he didn’t act like it, waiting in the cockpit for the pair of them. He gave Cora a once over, huffed. “I didn’t realize we were bringing anyone else.” He noted. “Who is this?”

“Her name is Cora Suvan, she will be helping should we run into any communication snags.” Eli explained calmly, taking the co-pilot seat as he realized the Inquisitor was in the pilot’s seat. “Are we not bringing pilots along?”

“No.” Third Brother answered, before getting the ship prepped up to get out of the hangar. “No need.” Which, Eli supposed, was probably true – Inquisitors were expected to be able to pilot their own TIEs, he didn’t doubt the majority were at least decent pilots. That didn’t mean he was less paranoid, although he supposed at least the Inquisitor’s attention would be split with monitoring the ship. “Any other dead weights to bring along?”

Eli bristled, “She is not—

“Maybe I meant you.” It was said so deadpan, so remorselessly. “I’ll take that as a no.” With that, Third Brother launched the ship out of the hangar.

~***~

Adlai’s arms naturally wrapped around Skye as she came over to him, and he let out an agreeable enough hum at her query about sleep. He had gotten back to sleep, and not been terribly disturbed by her absence. He wasn’t unaccustomed to sleeping alone, or sleeping before tense missions.

He’d gotten used to it, really.

He dropped his head to place a kiss to her lips, soft and only a little quick – quick enough to be a greeting that lingered. “It’s all right,” he said, once his lips had parted, “I was able t sleep again, and I understand. I’ve become too accustomed to this…for better or worse.” Admittedly, the stakes had never been so high with Inquisitors on the job, but he was prepare for it.

Prepared for it before the others, considering he had known what Eira was, for longer than the others. “Do you think you’re ready to continue on with this?” If not, he’d find a way without her, or delay it. Whatever was needed. Their window wouldn’t be closing too soon – he hoped.

And even if it was, Shay wouldn’t risk compromising everyone by sending people out who weren’t ready. Better to lose a lead than that.

~***~

Eira beamed as Mitth’raw’nuruodo agreed he had more time to stay. Despite all her concerns, she really did want him there. She wanted to believe every instinct that told her he wasn’t terrible, his trust in the Sith misplaced, ignorant, somehow. He didn’t know…not fully. He couldn’t know, or he wouldn’t work with Palpatine, right?

‘Idiot.’

But she pushed that thought out of her head as she leaned the board up, and then walked to where her bag was, “I admit, I prepared a bit in case I’d have to take it home,” she took her datapad out and sent a quick message to the company to confirm the address, since the timing was just about perfect.

She had still planned on meat for Mitth’raw’nuruodo. She could always pass that on to Lin during lunch on set one day, after all. He wasn’t too picky.

Still, from her bag, she easily pulled out a picnic blanket of lavender to make sure they weren’t getting any more sandy than they already were, and protect the food, a bit. “I was told that the way they prepare the bac at this place was quite good, so I thought you would like that,” it was poultry, which usually seemed safe. She had taken the advice of others, “Along with a bit of a salad side, and chocolate covered fruits for a dessert. Oh! And a bit of white wine – I…do prefer sweeter when I drink.” It was also supposedly better paired with things like poultry and seafood.

She didn’t plan to drink more than the necessary sip or two, either. Only to look like she was drinking. Ordering a mocktail or mock-wine hadn’t seemed fair to Mitth’raw’nuruodo, just as ordering a full vegetarian spread hadn’t seemed fair.

Cora knew she wouldn’t like the Inquisitor, but his blatant attitude and disrespect for Imperial officers irritated her. He truly acted like he was running the whole mission, when he still needed their help to ensure its successful completion.

She crossed her arms over her chest, annoyed at Third Brother’s callous attitude towards her appearance, but also angry at the way he treated Eli. Both of them.

But was there any reasoning with him?

Wait, does he know what I’m thinking?

Let him hear, if he can. Let him know her displeasure for the way he treated them, calling either her, Eli, or maybe even both of them, dead weight.

This was going to be a long trip.

“Eli?” she called out, motioning for him to come over to her, a bit behind the cockpit, once he looked at her.

~~~

Skye leaned into the kiss, if only briefly as to not get carried away by sweet nothings. They still had a mission to do, a task to remain focused on.

Even if she would prefer to stay in and enjoy Adlai’s company a bit more.

With his question, Skye nodded. “Yeah, I’m ready. I’m more than ready.” She offered him a confident smile. She lowered her hands to smooth over his shirt, but not quite drawing away just yet. Her dreams still haunted her, but she would continue on with the mission.

She had to. She couldn’t let the visions the Force gave her scare her away. They were supposed to help her. Help her prepare for the worst.

“When are we supposed to leave? Given it’s on Batuu, I can’t imagine we will need to be waiting around much longer.” It would be quite the long trip. Maybe, if they hurried enough, they could even avoid the Empire. Wouldn’t that be nice for everyone.

~~~

Thrawn was amused as Eira announced what she had prepared for them. Yes, it seemed she was fully prepared indeed in case he decided to stick around for dinner, pulling out a blanket and explaining to him what they would be having that evening, wine included.

It meant she wanted the evening to last as long as he did.

He followed Eira in leaning his board up, next to hers. “Everything sounds wonderful,” he said. “If I recall correctly, you don’t eat meat, right? So what will be your main course?” Thrawn asked purely out of curiosity. He was pleased that she ordered the bac for him, a poultry dish he had found to enjoy.

“I look forward to our meal. It sounds like it will be an enjoyable evening together with pleasant company,” he said with a small smile and slight nod of his head.

There really was no need for Eli to be in the cockpit, in the co-pilot’s chair. It was obvious that Third Brother had everything prepared and put the coordinates in for the lightspeed jump with ease. Not that such was a difficult thing, but there was a fluidity that suggested his long familiarity with it.

Well, he obviously didn’t like dealing with others – no wonder why he had a familiarity with starships.

Eli heard Cora’s call and glanced over, then sighed and got up as he saw her motion. Third Brother made no comment; he was likely just happy that Eli was leaving the area, as Eli stepped out of the cockpit.

“What is it?” He asked Cora, glancing over, then, “I’m sorry – if you want to go back, I can talk him into it.” Maybe. Well, he’d try. He would completely understand if Cora wanted off of this mission immediately. He wanted off of this mission already but no. He had to endure this nonsense.

Because Jedi kept showing up wherever they investigated.

~***~

Adlai didn’t believe Skye.

He wasn’t going to call her out, though. Fake confidence was better than none, and it could evolve into genuine confidence in it all. Especially if he played along. And he wanted to be that confident, too. “Good.”

He already knew they should have already been out the door five minutes ago when Skye asked about when. “Now,” he answered, dropping his arms with a sigh, “Not that we can truly be late, but the sooner the better. I do need to be back in at least a couple of days.” He still had to keep up appearances, after all.

He couldn’t just be absent for no reason for days on end. “I’ve already had a speeder prepped to get us to our ship,” obviously, no ship here. He couldn’t be seen leaving the planet, so the driver was one of the droids rather than any person who could go blabbing.

Not that a droid couldn’t go blabbing but it was significantly less likely to even be asked, let alone consider it.

~***~

“Mmm,” Eira hummed confirmation as she made sure the blanket was all spread out evenly, “I’ll be having a couple stuffed zeltron peppers,” easy enough, tasty enough, to be enough of a meal. They usually stuffed them with rice, so that would make it a bit more filling, not that she needed it to be with the fruits.

Once again, another thing for her trainer to consider murdering Eira over.

Mitth’raw’nuruodo wasn’t voicing any complaints about the food she chose for him, for which she was grateful. She knew it was a bit safe but she had still worried over it anyways. Of course, she’d worried over whether or not he’d even like surfing, and he had taken to it well enough. Whether or not he’d ever continue it was probably debatable, but he’d gone into it with enthusiasm and didn’t seem to mind it at all.

“Well, it’s already been a pleasant day, it’s only fitting the ending be, too. It shouldn’t take long to arrive,” Eira said, smiling, before bowing her head a little, “I am glad you’ve enjoyed it so far, I wasn’t sure how much you’d really care for something so…different. But you really do seem to take to new things well,” she looked back up, still smiling, “It’s a nice change.”

Adlai and she had their sham relationship, of course. No part of it had really included much adventurous things, like surfing. There was a front of traditionalism, romanticism, that made people swoon over how perfect it was. And Eira had done her part in it…but even she could admit she would have liked to do more of these things, even as friends.

Adlai probably wouldn’t have been too opposed…but there were also just some things he obviously didn’t care for…not enough for a fake relationship, anyways, when his time could be better spent elsewhere.

Cora furrowed her brows. “Go back? No, no, not at all.” Not that she was happy to be there at the moment, but she wouldn’t leave behind Eli. Not when he needed a familiar and comforting face to help him get through the mission.

“You just seem like you needed an excuse to get away from him for a few minutes,” she said, lowering her voice, in case Third Brother was listening in to them. But would that be futile? If he could hear everything they say, then so be it.

She didn’t want to have to walk on eggshells around the Inquisitor.

“And it seemed like he has everything covered in the cockpit anyways,” she added. Third Brother didn’t need help, nor would he be the type to ask for help, Cora thought. No, he’d demand it. “This mission will be done soon enough.” If they didn’t encounter that Jedi. If nothing went wrong.

Too many ifs.

~~~

Skye regretfully pulled away from Adlai when he broke the news that they should be leaving now. It wasn’t ideal, but she had all morning to prepare for the mission. Any extra time would just be putting more anxiety upon her.

Anxiety that could translate into a fatal mistake later on Batuu.

“Well then, we better get going to that speeder,” she said, not once losing a hint of the faux confidence that was getting her prepared better for Batuu. Faux confidence that translated into real confidence, but not so much as to border into arrogance territory.

She knew from previous Jedi during the Clone Wars that arrogance can indeed lead to one’s own demise.

Skye would follow Adlai to the speeder, still under the guise of his bodyguard, in case of any prying eyes in just the right spot. At least until they arrived at the safety of the ship.

~~~

Thrawn nodded, satisfied that Eira would be eating plenty after their vigorous activity of surfing the afternoon away. Potential spy or not, he would be almost insulted if her downfall proved to be not enough caloric intake.

Eira’s smile brought a new one to Thrawn’s face. “Of course. As you may imagine, I am always open to trying new things.” It was ultimately what brought him away from the Chiss and to Lesser Space. He wasn’t afraid of the unknown. He was willing to experiment with the unknown.

He couldn’t say the same about Imperial officers.

And her last sentence didn’t go unnoticed by him. “Did your…previous relationship not appreciate such change all that often?” Not that he wanted to talk about Adlai on their given date for a multitude of reasons, he couldn’t help but to wonder how unsatisfied that resistance to change left her.

His mind wandered to how unsatisfied that left her in various means.

Eli couldn’t deny he was glad to have an excuse to step out of the cockpit and away from Third Brother. That Cora facilitated it was only better, and he let out a sigh, nodding as she indicated that things were handled in the cockpit. “You’re right. We probably don’t need to spend the entirety of the trip up there.”

Odds were, Third Brother would even appreciate that – if he appreciated anything at all. He really didn’t seem like a happy fellow. Neither of them did, though. Eli probably didn’t want to actually see what would make them happy.

So, he gestured them back further from the cockpit, more to the entrance of the ship where there were some benches they could sit on, and wait to arrive. As Cora said, this missing would be done with soon enough, and he was looking forward to that. He didn’t want to be with the Inquisitor longer than necessary.

“We should plan something for when we get back,” he said, figuring that was an easy enough way to take the conversation away from, well, the mission. The Inquisitor. “Something with Faro, and something without, before she goes insane about being left out,” he chuckled just a bit, realizing Faro hadn’t really been with them since the meeting with Cora’s parents.

She was probably missing them a bit. Together, at least. Eli had seen her plenty on her own.

~***~

Thankfully, there were no issues getting to the speeder. So was exiting to the ship, and Adlai sent a quick message to Shay before he launched that ship into lightspeed towards Batuu, hoping it would all go smoothly once they got there, too, and reminding himself of the mission parameters.

‘The Naklor Spires on Batuu, a part of the Zeval syndicate. Get to the top of the syndicate.’ Well, get contacts for Shay, someone she could talk to in order to figure out the mystery of the attempted kidnapping of Breha – or whatever was really going on at that gallery.

With the ship in lightspeed, Adlai was able to relax a bit, and try to pass Skye a comforting smile, as they’d make their way to Batuu.

The mission wouldn’t take too long.

He had to keep telling himself that.

~***~

“I’m learning,” Eira said, agreeably pleased with Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s willingness to try new things. It would at least make some of planning easier. So long as she kept the plans active, it would fall to her advantage. Or so she kept telling herself, anyways, despite the dinner that was following this.

She realized the misstep – a more natural, human one – of even hinting at her ex when Mitth’raw’nuruodo hesitated to speak of it. She flushed, “Oh—no, but,” how to fix it? She sighed, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to mention that, it’s—it’s a problem in general with people. People get stuck in routines and don’t like much change to it, whereas my whole life is change,” she chuckled, “it’s hard to find others willing to try as much new things, as quickly.”

Even if she had her routines and normalcy, it seemed like something new was thrown at her at least once a week, if not more often.

Her datapad pinged, “Sit, sit,” she gestured towards the blanket, “I’ll go get the meal,” the ping was a note it was close now. They really were moving fast – probably had already finished up and were just holding it for confirmation of where to bring it. ‘Wait can I carry all of it?’ Well she’d find out. It had to be packaged well enough to hand off, right?

Last edited:
No, they didn’t need to spend the entirety of the trip near Third Brother. That may even upset him more, though Cora didn’t believe he had a mood anything but.

How scary would he be if he was actually happy?

Cora followed Eli over to the benches, far from the cockpit, and chuckled along with him. “Yeah, we definitely need to do something with Faro. I feel bad, because I feel like I haven’t seen her much at all recently.” And she had so much to tell Faro, just girl talk.

And she bet Faro had so many questions to ask the two of them.

“But as for something without, maybe we can take it easy and do something in one of our quarters?” she suggested with a small smile, hoping the additional suggestion wouldn’t fly over his head.

~~~

Taking over control of the ship calmed Skye down and loosened her up where she didn’t realize she was holding tension. Flying a ship always did that to her. Just letting loose and allowing herself to lose herself in the skies or the darkness of space.

Other people may find the situation entirely scary, but not her. And as she always joked to people, most deaths on ships were instant. You barely had time to realize what was going on or to feel any pain.

She passed Adlai an easy smile, and stood up from her chair after the entered lightspeed. “So, I take it I have to put on that nasty Purge Trooper uniform again?” she guessed with a chuckle. At least the weapons that came with it were pretty neat, even if it did remind her how well equipped they are to fight against Jedi.

Skye walked out of the cockpit. “We may need to go over the plan again, just once more to ensure that nothing goes wrong.” And it would help put what little worry she had left at ease. They could think of scenarios that could happen and work around them.

Yeah, they could do this.

~~~

Thrawn smiled and shook his head, an indicator that he wasn’t upset in the least by Eira bringing up old flames. It was a tease, really, but Thrawn had been curious to hear what she had to say about the minor slip-up.

Just a general comment about people in general - how they get so used to their own routines.

“I completely understand.” Thrawn understood that. How many of his own people were so stuck in their ways, scared of any minor changes to their daily routines? He wouldn’t go into further detail of it for Eira, but he did show his understanding, and allowed them to go onto the next subject.

As prompted, Thrawn sat, but he looked back up at Eira as she stated she would go get the meal. “Do you need any help?” he asked, immediately ready to stand back up if she admitted she would need some assistance.

Of course, he and Cora had already spent time in just their quarters, with a holofilm. It hadn’t amounted to much other than time spent together, but that in and of itself was pleasant. Especially considering what had happened while they were at a waterpark. This would be significantly easier to arrange.

And Eli wasn’t blind to the implications of what another night in could mean for them, either. Even if it didn’t head that way, he wasn’t tired of spending time relaxing and unwinding with Cora. “Yeah, that’d probably be best after this,” Eli agreed. “We can probably figure out another holofilm to watch and pass the time.”

Maybe they wouldn’t really watch it this time.

He supposed some of that would end up depending on how this went down, and how far off this film ended up being. There were alternatives, such as games, but he didn’t really want an activity that would distract him too much from her presence.

Another time, maybe.

~***~

“At least you get a cool outfit,” Adlai noted as he also rose, knowing he needed to get back into the heavy, sweaty Stormtrooper outfit. He hated it. But, he wasn’t supposed to like it. None of them got outfits they liked. He wasn’t sure there was a good outfit in the Empire any of them could wear, since hiding their faces was important.

Adlai followed Skye to where the outfits were stored, answering, “We just need to find some associates of the Naklor Spires, and get information on their leadership. That’s all Shay needs to pursue them further,” contacts. “It should be easy with your Jedi tricks.”

He hoped, anyways.

It would be their luck if the Naklor Spires ended up resistant to the mind tricks, but he hoped they wouldn’t be. This way they could just grab the information and go, in and out. “The hard part will be finding and identifying the Naklor Spires. I imagine they’re not out advertising it, but people probably know them. We can check some of the cantinas and other stores in the area.”

There were the outfits.

Adlai grabbed his from the shelf with a sigh. “I really hope this is the last time I have to wear this.”

He knew it wouldn’t be.

~***~

“No, I’m sure I can carry it, they have to package it well for delivery,” Eira said, hoping she was right so she didn’t have to ask the deliverer to walk back with her. She was trying to minimize scandal as much as possible, even if that was already a ship that had sunk as soon as it became public knowledge she was dating Mitth’raw’nuruodo way earlier than anticipated.

Damn Shay.

She would leave the Admiral on the blanket, not thinking to change into something more decent as she walked up the short path to where speeders would come up to. The delivery indeed didn’t leave her waiting there for long, and Eira recalled her state when the slack-jawed teenager stepped out and fumbled through handing off what she’d ordered, terribly red-faced and desperately trying to keep his eyes averted to do his job well.

Eira made sure to add an extra tip for the troubles of frustration. And the probably of troubles driving away immediately, which he did.

Thankfully, all of the food was packed up neatly in a sack, stacked up so Eira could carry it, and the wine she could manage in her other hand. Cups were somewhere in the sack, or so she’d been promised, when she brought it all back to where Mitth’raw’nuruodo was waiting.

“Ready~,” she reached the blanket herself and took a seat, beginning to unpack the goods and sort them out – and indeed, finding the cups and setting them out, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back