• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Eli stiffened as Thrawn told him he wasn’t dismissed. That temper he’d kept in check since Anaxes threatened to flare, but he tamped it down as he turned back to Thrawn, not masking the irritation in his gaze, but not showing it much in the express. Though he stilled it to neutrality, there was simply no denying the fire behind them as he looked at Thrawn.

And Thrawn asked him if he was angry.

His voice was even as he answered, “As you have forbidden discussion on the matter that has upset me, Grand Admiral, I believe I cannot elaborate any further.” Even. Stiff. Thrawn would know his commander was upset, but not the reason.

Eli didn’t know if Thrawn would open the subject back up, or dismiss Eli out of hand to avoid it for now. Eli knew that Thrawn couldn’t be having a good go of things, either. The problem was, other people didn’t know the truth behind it. At least, other people Thrawn cared about. ‘If he cares.’

Eli wanted to shake that thought, desperately.

‘And you have no one to talk with, either.’ Because he had to keep Thrawn’s secret. He couldn’t tell Cora or air things out with Faro, either. He had to sit on it.

~***~

A relationship was something to be “over the moon” about. Eira knew that would not be the case with Mitth’raw’nuruodo, and Lin obviously knew it, too. She wanted it. She wanted that happiness which had accompanied so many meetings with him, and the time spent in his company, but the galaxy wasn’t kind.

Once it was public knowledge, it was a headache for a good week, if not longer.

It hadn’t been so with Darius or Adlai, but those were acceptable options. Mitth’raw’nuruodo…wasn’t.

So Eira could only sigh, shrug, “I’m holding up the façade, aren’t I?” Which meant much, so far as how stable she was, but little else. The front wouldn’t break easily, but there were always things that could shatter it. She was thankful this hadn’t turned into such an event.

Still, she added, “I’m not well. Obviously, Shay hates it. You can guess who spread the information,” Shay. Who wanted them broken up as soon as possible. Shay, who was no doubt feeding antagonism further, even with people who hated Shay, just because she was a sephi. “I can’t imagine how others are going to take it.” Though there would be a meeting that day.

Adlai and Skye were returning, after all.

And this news…changed things. For everyone.

So Eli was irritated at something. There was no denying the anger in his body language.

But Thrawn was still clueless as to what it was that had upset the officer. That is, until Eli answered him, and it gave Thrawn a glimpse into Eli’s mind.

“So you’re upset at my relationship with Miss Nevan?” He couldn’t fathom why, unless Eli held xenophobic tendencies buried deep beneath his skin. Now Thrawn was curious as to what exactly upsetted him. Surely it couldn’t be the same reason as Tarkin.

For the briefest moment, Thrawn allowed his expression to display the stress and fatigue he felt since the news broke as he sat back down behind his desk. “You may elaborate further on what exactly had upset you.”

Then maybe they could put this behind him as Eli slowly understands Thrawn’s point of view of the entire situation.

Once Thrawn understands it himself.

~~~

Eira was holding up the façade, like the talented actress she was. But façades can only be maintained for so long before they crack, and Lin wanted to make sure that Eira wasn’t near cracking. That she could maintain that façade and had an outlet to show her true emotions if needed.

“I can’t imagine that everyone will be pleased about this,” he admitted. He could name a few in their group who would be vocally against this relationship, just for who Thrawn was. “But you also have friends with us, who just want to see you happy.” Maybe Adlai would be like that. Or Skye.

They had that...Jedi connection between them. If that was a thing. Surely that meant for something.

“If you ever need someone to talk to about...anything, you can come to me.” Lin couldn’t offer much, but he could offer that. He wouldn’t promise a completely unbiased view, but he would do his best for his friend.

Eli let out a sigh when Thrawn gave him permission to elaborate further, “Yes, Thrawn, I’m upset about your relationship. Probably not for the reasons most people are – if you want to date a human, a twi’lek, a togruta – I don’t care,” Eli wanted to make that clear. It had nothing at all to do with xenophobia.

“It’s…,” how did he say it tactfully?

He didn’t. “If you can so easily go into a relationship that you don’t mean, to destroy someone’s life how –,” he swallowed, again trying to find the words, “It…makes it difficult to be certain about anything, with you. I’m worried for your future, if it turns out she is a rebel, and you’re the one who takes her down.”

And he was worried about their friendship, and if it really meant anything, or if Thrawn was indeed just using him as a means to an end. It had felt that way in the beginning, before it got better. Now Eli was wondering again if that was always the case, and he just…believed otherwise.

He found he couldn’t just say that, though. It just had to be heavily implied. He didn’t want to come off as sounding needy, or wanting reassurance. How could he trust it, anyways?

~***~

Eira couldn’t help the somewhat sardonic smile. She knew most of them did want her happy, but plenty would protest this relationship. She knew better. This was an endeavor into heartbreak, a futile thing, since Mitth’raw’nuruodo had already accepted Sith leadership and seemed to understand it.

So why did she hope?

Why did she try?

Eira didn’t have an answer even for herself. She wasn’t sure how much she would take Lin, or anyone, up on such offers, but at least Lin seemed genuine in his intent. And honest about his lack of bias. It was enough to soften her smile, “Thank you,” at least he wasn’t railing against it right off the bat. “I’ll try not to burden you with too much.”

That could only end in the advice of ‘leave him’ – with extra shots of alcohol. Or alcoholic gelato. “Let’s get through today and see how things go this evening.” For now, it wouldn’t be good to talk about it much. They were still in public, and on a schedule.

So Eli wasn’t upset because of the reason everyone else was. Thrawn knew that already, he knew his aide wouldn’t succumb to the xenophobia that was so common throughout their ranks and the Core, but a small part of him deep inside was relieved with the confirmation.

He had been surprised by less.

“I see.” Eli was concerned for him. This Thrawn didn’t see. “If she is indeed a rebel, she won’t be ousted as one until there is undeniable proof. After then, it shall be revealed she had been aiding a Jedi.” Which, as he saw it, divided the general population. Some needlessly saw the Jedi as those archaic symbols of hope, but others fully believed in the imperial propaganda published on the extinct Order.

Thrawn didn’t worry about his future. At least, not his future with the Empire.

“You needn’t be concerned for me,” he assured, as if that would fix the entire situation. “Was there anything else you wanted to say about the situation?” He allowed room for further comment, room he wouldn’t have given to anyone else.

~~~

Lin heard the distant calling of the assistant director calling for everyone to get ready for rehearsals to begin. Their signal to wrap things up.

What they didn’t say now, they could say this evening at their group meeting.

“Burden me with as much as you need to,” he offered. Even if it meant biting his tongue to the point he bled, Lin would do that for her. Stars knew he probably owed her several big favors, even if he knew it was the right thing to do.

“Come on, let’s get back to the real world before the director has an excuse to have my head. Or start more rumors about your love life.” Lin would give her a bright smile and gently squeeze her shoulder in a friendly gesture. “Rehearsals will get your mind off of things.”

Brushed off. It was exactly what Eli expected, and yet he was still annoyed with it. ‘Go make your own mistakes. The Empire will be the poorer for it, but they’re not stopping you, either.’ Not that Tarkin had said this ought to be the strategy, and he had indeed seen Thrawn walk out of worse matters then this.

“Well, I think you should hire a PR manager for the fallout anyways,” Eli said without humor, and quite unaware of precisely how skilled one PR manager that Thrawn had met, was. “Beyond that,” well, there was one more thing.

“If this all comes to an end, and she isn’t a rebel,” Eli said, tentative in the approach, “What is your plan for getting out of this situation?” ‘Or do you plan to get out of it at all?’ Perhaps that was another fear, barely manifested, that Thrawn actually had feelings.

That would make everything substantially worse. “I know she and Count Malvern ended up reconciling things. Mostly,” this new Thrawn issue was no doubt a scandal beyond Eli’s true understanding, but nonetheless, he figured Thrawn had prepared an escape.

And if he didn’t….

~***~

Continuing the rumor about Lin might almost be worth it just so people thought she and Mitth’raw’nuruodo were just a publicity stunt. Still, she wouldn’t argue with him, only nod, and go along back to rehearsals, falling into the role of Cora Vessora well, and dealing with Darius in his own role as if nothing had happened.

She was still a professional.

So, too, was Darius when it came down to it, otherwise he wouldn’t have his own ridiculously loyal following of fangirls.

Rehearsal eventually finished up, and that meant seeing Shay. And everyone else – she’d been informed that Adlai and Skye had returned during the day, so once she was out of costume, she found Lin and linked arms with him.

“What was that about rumors of us?” A teasing expression.

They may as well go together, and fuel the rumors, for what bit of time they were seen, no matter how Eira detested the suggestion that she would cheat on anyone. The paparazzi really needed to understand platonic relationships did exist.

~***~

Adlai wasn’t entirely thrilled when he got back to Coruscant and became aware of the news not through Shay, but a few people hounding his office when he checked in, and asking him what he knew about Eira and Thrawn, if Eira had cheated on him – a host of other asinine things. Naturally, Adlai confirmed that Eira and Thrawn had only been friends during their relationship.

And, that if Eira had moved on, he wished them the best – he hadn’t yet had a conversation with her about this. He let no spite enter his tone. No negativity towards Thrawn, either, though he definitely had to take a minute to breathe at his desk, before scrolling through the tabloids to see what had happened.

The meeting with Shay that evening would no doubt confirm this situation – and what it was, as well as their next steps in the Breha case.

He was looking forward to that, far more than he was looking forward to this new scandal.

‘And you just had to make it worse.’ Adlai knew Shay’s pen names.

He could only sigh, and when evening came, prepare himself to rejoin Skye and head out that way.

The idea of dealing with his own PR manager left a bitter taste in Thrawn’s mouth, with a certain manager he encountered earlier being the source of his apathy. He didn’t want to talk to another one, but perhaps this was an area outside of his expertise. Like politics.

And just like with politics, he allowed others to help him with his shortcomings and lack of understanding.

“Maybe that is not such a bad idea after all,” he deigned to admit with a mutter under his breath. The public’s opinion of the Empire was already not in the best view, and if Eira did end up being the rebel they were after? The public would sway to her side, and there would be damage control that Thrawn would have no idea of how to handle.

That was beyond his understanding.

And to Eli’s next question, Thrawn sighed and ran a hand through his hair, mussing it. “I know some have said that it would be healthy for me to have a life outside of the Empire.” He chuckled lightly. “If she isn’t a rebel, then perhaps this is that life I needed.” And he would admit to Eli at that time that perhaps Thrawn did actually have feelings.

Feelings that were more at play now than he would ever care to admit.

~~~

Lin spent rehearsals withholding the deep desire to punch Darius, or ‘accidentally’ tripping the man. But Lin was a professional. He played nice, fell into his role, and let things be for now.

He had to save his energy for later for whatever awaited them at the meeting. With everyone back and Eira’s love life under fire, it was sure to be an interesting one.

Later, when rehearsals finished and Lin changed out of the bothersome robes, he rejoined Eira and linked arms with her with a cheeky smile. “One of the last I heard was that we are having an affair and love to bring in a third.” While a third wouldn’t be happening, they could still play with the media and fuel those false rumors.

It was fun, really, to read what kind of gossip the paparazzi could come up with. Lin was at that stage in his life when he didn’t care what they said about him. He currently didn’t have a love life outside of one night stands, and though he would like to settle down one day, that day wasn’t now, so he enjoyed whatever PR nightmare the media could come up with.

Lin led Eira to their vehicle that would only take them so far. “Though of course I wouldn’t want to get in trouble with your new boyfriend. He may actually scare me.”

~~~

All good things had to come to an end. Skye immensely enjoyed her stay on Serenno, with Adlai’s friends and family, more than she ever thought she would. She wouldn’t admit her slight bias towards the planet, due to its history with the Republic, but everything had been pleasant. Beautiful, even.

What wasn’t beautiful was the news that awaited them back on Coruscant.

Eira and Thrawn? Really? What is going through that mind of hers?

Skye wanted to both slap some sense into Eira and sit down with her and have a heart-to-heart to make sure everything was okay with her. It was bad enough she was now dating an Imperial, but a Grand Admiral? She was asking for heartbreak.

Conflicted on how she was going to approach the subject that evening, Skye returned home to meditate, allowing the Force to guide her to what it was she needed to do. Not just with Eira, but to recenter herself to guide her through whatever obstacles they all may face in the near future.

She had a feeling things were about to get even more difficult, beyond the media and whatever scandals unfold in their circle of friends.

When she met back up with Adlai, ready for the meeting, Skye gave him a comforting smile. She could only imagine the headache he had to deal with all day. “How are you handling things?

‘Just don’t hire me, I’m not PR material.’ Eli didn’t say that as he heard that begrudging murmur and saw the expression. He didn’t know what he said to draw that; there was something more to it than the mere recommendation, Thrawn didn’t hate criticism. Eli didn’t press that, though. If he even thought of it, that thought vanished when Thrawn continued.

He had feelings for Eira.

For someone who might be his enemy.

Eli bit the inside of his cheek. Thrawn didn’t need to hear how that made this a worse idea. Especially if she was a rebel, and Eli was inclined to trust the instincts of both Tarkin and Thrawn in that regard. Tarkin did not have a reputation for failure, in anything. And Thrawn…Thrawn could just read people, in a way, even where he failed at some social graces and politics.

‘So, Thrawn, what’s your favorite booze? How do you prefer to deal with hardship, betrayal, and heartbreak?’ Tempting as it was to ask it flippantly, Eli didn’t. Instead, he nodded, sighed, and said, “Well, at the risk of upsetting the Grand Moff, I’ll hope he’s wrong.” For Thrawn’s sake.

His friend deserved nice things, and newly enamored with a relationship, Eli certainly wanted Thrawn to have that kind of happiness, too. “Just don’t use this ‘I’m doing my job in going on a date’ thing for too long,” he gave a smile, “I’m not dealing with the Inquisitors every time.”

~***~

Eira heard that one. Not too new, so far as celebrity news went, but amusing enough. She laughed a little as Lin went on about Mitth’raw’nuruodo, “What, you don’t think he’d make a good third?” Introducing the two, and having them seen around each other more often would likely spark some fun rumors about polyamory.

That could be amusing, but she wouldn’t subject Lin to Mitth’raw’nuruodo if he was so fervently opposed to it. Eira supposed that the Grand Admiral could be scary, though obviously, she didn’t share that opinion quite the way Lin did. She knew to be wary…but obviously, not wary enough to warrant avoiding him entirely.

The path down through Coruscant’s layers was always fraught, but Eira and Lin had done this enough times, and were soon at the meeting. Not the first – that was almost always Shay, but not the last, either. Skye and Adlai out-did them in that department.

Amilyn got up from her seat and crossed the floor with both hands clenched into fists. Eira expected a lecture from the glaring teenager about ‘not being compatible’ and ‘the stars’ – so needless to say, she was surprised when the first words were, “Why didn’t you tell me?” a teenager’s whine for information and mischief.

The others didn’t seem to be of a similar mood. The tension and set of their bodies indicated a newfound wariness, and dislike, of Eira’s decision.

Eira just sighed, both at the mood, and Amilyn, “It happened a bit…suddenly.” Not the feelings, but the relationship.

~***~

Adlai was ready for the day to be over by the time he met up with Skye. He still greeted her with a smile. He wished he could have at least given her a small peck, but they hadn’t met inside. He hadn’t really needed to go back to his home away from home – a small regret. He should have taken that moment.

“I’m managing,” he said, “I wish the press would leave me alone, but I know better than to expect that,” he rolled his eyes a little, “see, this is what we were avoiding,” he chuckled lightly as they walked.

He hadn’t expected Eira to falter, and be the one dealing with this.

Then again, Eira and real relationships were a strange thing already. He didn’t think Skye was having any difficulties as a Jedi – considering her relationship with him. However, she still had a presence about her that suggested more was on her mind. This was an Imperial…Adlai knew most were going to have an issue. “Are you all right?” Perhaps she wanted to get out of all this now.

Adlai couldn’t blame her, for that.

Should Eli had asked Thrawn for his preferred beverage of choice in dealing with the inevitable betrayal and heartbreak, he may have gone with Corellian whiskey. Or even a drink he had only heard of, never tasted, Port in a Storm.

He may even accept a drink sooner rather than later, before dealing with Tarkin again, or the Inquisitors. Or before anyone else asks him about his relationship with Eira.

“I hope he’s wrong as well,” Thrawn agreed with Eli. But Tarkin is hardly ever wrong, which Thrawn will admit. And it’s why he knew he had to tread carefully in this new relationship. If Eira did end up being the rebel, Thrawn would have to tell Tarkin that he was right, deal with the public aftermath, and undoubtedly answer questions from his curious officers about what's going on.

Could this even be a truly happy, normal relationship? Even if Eira was innocent?

Thrawn allowed a slight smile at Eli’s quip. “I’ll only use it when necessary.” A slight joke of his own at Eli’s expense. “Speaking of the Inquisitors,” he continued with a sigh, “I’ve been ordered to utilize them more in our investigation of this Jedi.” A fact he wasn’t happy with. “So it seems that we both will be seeing more of them in the future.”

~~~

Lin didn’t even try to hide the shudder that ran through his body and into his limbs. “Don’t even joke like that,” he chided, not entirely serious, as Eira wasn’t serious in her suggestion. He hoped. “My idea of a third involves someone from a nightclub, and not an Imp.” Lin didn’t think he was asking for much!

And he would try his best to not be in the same room as the Grand Admiral, but with Eira as one of his closest friends, he didn’t know how feasible that would be. Eventually, their circles would overlap into an awkward introduction. Thrawn had to know of some of the rumors that surrounded Lin and Eira, right?

The descent into Coruscant’s seedy underworld was, thankfully, uneventful, but Lin would never let his guard down even once. One wrong move, one wrong turn, and everything could be put in jeopardy. Upon their arrival, Lin breathed an audible sigh of relief. “Thank goodness, I’m not last for once.”

Like almost every other meeting.

The tension was palpable. It didn’t take a genius to understand why, but no one immediately hounded Eira for explanations as to why. Lin did think that Amilyn was about to scream at Eira, or something to that effect, but she didn’t. She only wanted to know why she wasn’t told about the relationship, to which Lin raised a brow.

He always liked Amilyn. She was interesting. Her mind was a fascinating place.

“And in an elevator,” Lin had to comment, finishing Eira’s comment.

~~~

Skye wished they could be more affectionate in public with one another, but they still had to play the waiting game. At least now with the media focused on the unexpected relationship between Eira and Thrawn, they might get some reprieve when their relationship is ultimately announced.

But Skye would let Adlai take the lead. He could navigate that world better than she could ever hope to. “I wish they would leave everyone alone.” Then that would be one headache gone for all of her friends.

Skye wondered if Adlai had his own sixth sense, as he asked if she was okay. Am I okay? She sighed with a shrug of her shoulders. “I’m worried for her,” she admitted. “I just have a really bad feeling about this.” She didn’t need to tell him what that feeling was, nor would she have explained that further in public, as they descended Coruscant into more unscrupulous areas.

“I won’t tell her how much of a bad idea this is, though. I know she’s heard that from everyone else.” And probably even from people she didn’t know. The public had dividing opinions on relationships between a human and an alien. “But if she needs to talk to someone, I will offer her that much.” Maybe they could even go back to that sky-faring room and have a true conversation free of any prying ears.

Eli already groaned when Thrawn suggested there was more about the Inquisitors. That was the last thing he wanted to hear, but it was expected. They were there for a reason. They should be used. “The sooner we can find this jedi, the better,” Eli said. “I don’t suppose you have any leads or plans I should be preparing for, do you?”

He doubted it – at least, nothing Thrawn was prepared to share yet.

Soon.

Eli would be prepared in either case. Thrawn wouldn’t shove the Inquisitors off onto just anyone, and Eli was prepared to accept his unfortunate role as one of those that Thrawn would shove them off onto. The other was likely Faro, and she had dealt with enough considering her mourning what could never be, and the elevator event in general with them.

Eli relaxed, just a little, “Do we have much more to go off of…at all? Is there a way I can help?” It never hurt to ask, though Eli knew his skill was in numbers and patterns. He didn’t think they had enough to start figuring something like that out.

Thrawn had surprised him before, though.

~***~

‘Like you never mistakenly picked up an Imp.’ Not that Eira would ask, or suggest it. Now wasn’t the time, nor would the meeting, which had Eira immediately embarrassed after Lin’s addition about the elevator, her cheeks flaming. It wasn’t wrong, but everyone knew she could have ended it there, too.

Thinking about it didn’t help her look innocent in the least.

“You’re putting us at risk,” Amita pointed out, as if that wasn’t obvious. “In more ways than one.”

“Enlighten me,” Eira said in a deadpan, walking to find a seat near Shay. No matter what happened, she still knew her place.

Amita sighed, turned a bit towards Eira now that she’d sat down, “We already know Thrawn is hunting us down,” she cast a glance to Shay, “that’s the real reason he’s hanging around longer than usual. That means he may try to feed you information to stir up a reaction in us.”

Eira blinked, startled. “I’m not—”

“You’re not a spy,” Shay spat the words, “he would tell you, willingly.” Shay pointed out. “And you’ll have to resist the urge to tell us.”

Eira thought that would be easy enough, until she considered the kinds of things Thrawn might tell her. What if he found out about any one of them? What if he told her, directly, that they were going to arrest Lin? Or Adlai? She couldn’t warn them….

Shay waved it off, “Just keep it in mind. That’s not what we’re here to discuss.”

“I don’t see why not!” Rem was the one to say, “This is a travesty! We can’t keep Eira involved in these meetings, or involved with us, any longer! It was bad enough she had Imperial friends and empathized with them, but this—what if she’s a traitor?”

“She’s a Jedi.”

“Or an Inquisitor. They were all former Jedi. Or maybe Skye’s an inquisitor!”

“Really?” Eira snapped, rising from her seat, just as Skye and Adlai arrived. She tried to let her anger dissipate, though that was a hard task. It had been…a trying day.

~***~

It seemed Adlai was right to question Skye, as she revealed her concerns for Eira. Not a surprise, though Adlai expected more anger, somehow. Then again, Skye was a Jedi in a relationship…perhaps she understood the futility of anger better than most of them. Eira wouldn’t be involved in a relationship in this situation, if she was thinking with only her head.

“Yeah…so do I.”

Adlai had a bad feeling since the day Thrawn walked into his office. He wouldn’t say as much. He was sure Skye had a similar feeling, though it hadn’t been quite so personal as it was now. Now, they definitely weren’t getting Thrawn out of their lives anytime soon. “You’ll be offering her more than I can,” Adlai confessed with a sigh.

He couldn’t condone the relationship.

He wasn’t sure he could even be an unbiased ear for Eira. He was her friend, and her ally, forever – but he had his limits. Although, he reconsidered them as he heard the raised voices at their approach, and then as the accusation of Inquisitors came, indicating not only Eira, but Skye as well.

And Eira was obviously furious, no matter how well contained it was.

Adlai stepped in, the last two to arrive, and cocked his head, “Well. We’ve missed something.” He didn’t sound impressed, or sound as if he’d missed anything. He’d heard the accusation. “Are we truly going to let the Imperials reduce us to in-fighting, after all these years?”

Thrawn shared the same sentiment towards the Inquisitors as Eli did. He felt like he could groan as well, but he couldn’t. He wouldn’t. He had to set an example and remain a composed leader and handle what is now a part of his life.

And he was fortunate to have someone like Eli in his life, who, despite everything, still asked if there was a way to help.

“There is something you can help me with. The investigation into the attack on Queen Breha has led us to a crime syndicate called the Zeval Syndicate. I need more information gathered on them, and if there is another layer of this investigation to uncover.” Like it seemed to consistently do. Uncover another clue, then five more pop up.

“Unfortunately since it seems like our Jedi is interested in this case as well, an Inquisitor will have to accompany you.” A fact he wasn’t pleased to share with Eli, but he had promised Tarkin he would actually start using the Inquisitors more.

And they wouldn’t be happy to learn that Thrawn continued a case that had gained the interest of the Jedi without them involved.

“I know this is not ideal,” Thrawn admitted, “but I wouldn’t task you with this assignment if I didn’t think you couldn’t do it.”

~~~

Lin frowned as the meeting quickly devolved into baseless accusations. This was not what they needed at all, and he wanted to slap some sense back into Rem. Really, what was he thinking, making such statements!

And it looks like things were about to get even more interesting, as Adlai and Skye arrived at that moment.

Skye easily heard the accusations. If she were the Inquisitor that she was apparently now being accused of, then she wouldn’t have easily taken a deep breath and let the anger go. Anger would do no good. If anything, it may even strengthen those accusations.

She still called herself a Jedi, and she would act like one.

“Be careful of throwing that word around.” She stepped in with Adlai, her hands resting on her hips. “Inquisitors bleed darkness and anger. If either one of us were an Inquisitor, stars forbid, then you would already know it. Or you would already be dead.”

But she didn’t want to talk about that anymore.

“But Adlai is right. I may be new here, but I can clearly see how well everyone works together. If we allow ourselves to devolve into needless fighting, then we allow the Empire to win.” They couldn’t get mad at each other and throw around insults because of Eira’s new love life.

They did have to be more careful now, but Eira was still a part of the team.

Now, are we done bickering like children?
She wouldn’t say that though. It may only serve to upset some people even further. But they did need to get their act together and resolve their conflict.

Eli had never heard of the Zeval Syndicate before, which didn’t make it seem like it was something that ought to have had the power to kidnap Breha. However, this had been a long trail, starting with an organization run by Proserpina, and then going to Niima. Eli doubted Zeval would be the endgame, when all was said and done.

He frowned a bit. “I can certainly gather information on them between tasks here,” it wasn’t difficult to search the HoloNet and request access to Imperial data. Whether or not he’d get that data was another story, though with any luck Thrawn had already gotten those permissions for him.

Or for himself.

“I’m not sure how that needs to involve Inquisitors, unless you already have a place for me to go to, in order to further investigate the workings of the Zeval Syndicate.” Was Thrawn hoping Eli could get him a meet and greet with a leader? Perhaps he only wanted the leader’s name. Some groups shrouded that information, rather than advertise it, after all.

~***~

Rem still stewed in their anger, not convinced by what Skye said. Of course, being a shapeshifter, they knew several things about convincing people they weren’t what was assumed. Still, time was on the side of Eira. Eira had been here a long time, longer than Rem – and Eira had recruited most of them.

“Sorry,” Rem muttered, letting out a breath, “still—”

“I get it,” Eira didn’t need to hear it again, and she took her seat. ‘It changes nothing.’ She had known every risk and still faltered. That pit of guilt grew. Would it be better for everyone if she stepped back, didn’t attend the meetings, and just took instruction from Shay? She wouldn’t know of all events happening, that way. ‘You already know everyone involved.’

“While Eira’s relationship is a point of concern for the meeting,” Shay began, “we have additional matters to discuss, information that Eira acquired for us has panned out with regards to the Breha incident.”

Shay gestured Adlai and Skye in further, and Adlai approached, finding a seat as well.

“The Zeval Syndicate is actually an organization composed of three groups,” Shay said, “One specializes in drug running, another in slicing, and a third in, well, slavery. They’re united as a syndicate for the simple goal of profit, but much of their money ends up going to organizational expenditures. They’re not large…it may be why three groups came together in the first place.” Shay sighed, “The origin groups were the Naklor Spires, based out of Batuu, Ho’Din’s which originated on Naboo, and the Flechette’s, a surviving remnant of the Zygerrian slavers.”

Shay paused, “It’s not clear which portion Niima dealt with. It is likely it was the Spires, but we need to investigate all three. Unfortunately.”

Maege let out an obvious complaint about ‘investigating’ the Zygerrians. Of course, Maege’s contempt for slavers was obvious. She’d rather just kill them all. “Unfortunately, we can’t do much about their existence right now.” It wouldn’t help that the Zygerrians didn’t deal much with wookiees. Maege sympathized with all; knowing the Zygerrians focused on togruta and twi’lek wouldn’t make it better.

“How are we going to be investigating them?” Adlai asked.

“Rem will be looking into Ho’Din’s,” she said, “I will be having Nikhil investigate the Flechette’s,” Maege let out an agreeable sound, and Nikhil shot her a thumbs up, “I would like you and Skye to look into the Spires.”

Thrawn shook his head. “It won’t be necessary to do any preliminary research. I’ve already done the task of looking into our Syndicate to glean any information that I could, and I have a few leads, some more promising than others.” And Thrawn would have to make the decision of which one of those leads to send Eli, and thus also the Inquisitor, to first.

“The most likely location for gathering intel would be either Naboo or Batuu. I’m not certain right now how their syndicate functions, but I highly doubt they were capable of paying Niima.” A fact that would only lead them further and further down a path until ultimately they met an end and uncover the culprit. Hopefully.

The question Thrawn was curious about is whether or not their Jedi was on the same exact trail, and if they would encounter her again.

“For this mission, you will be sent to Batuu, where I believe there is a larger presence of the Zeval Syndicate.” And thus, easier to gather information. “Beyond that, I am afraid that I am in the dark. I know that I am asking a lot from you with so little information, but I would not trust you with this task if I didn’t believe you could succeed.”

And succeed Eli will, even with the slight setback of lack of information and the presence of an Inquisitor coming along with him.

~~~

They easily, or as easily as they could, switched the subject to one that concerned the attack on Queen Breha. Still a little wary from the accusation against her, Skye moved further into the room and took a seat near Adlai.

It was only one person. Not everyone felt the same way.

She took a quick glance over at Eira, before resettling on Shay, as the Sephi began to speak. The Zeval Syndicate. She had heard of them in her colorful past, but knew very little else about them, aside from a brief encounter with a few members some years ago. And now they were going to investigate them, with her and Adlai in Batuu.

It's been a while since she’s been to that planet.

“Sounds simple enough,” she mused, leaning back into her seat. A simple investigation mission? Hardly something as dangerous as their last mission to Lothal.

Batuu. Not a place Eli was enthusiastic about going. Getting information in and out of Batuu was difficult with their dated systems. No doubt a reason why an organization like this would be there, though. Eli sighed, but nodded, “All right. Forward me the information I’ll need, and I’ll make sure to go over it before leaving. When do you intend departure to be?”

He anticipated soon, though hopefully not that day soon.

He still had a dinner and evening to spend with Cora. Not that he could use that as a protest, considering he’d just taken time off to go spend with her family. He’d still want to, of course, but he would refrain.

“You might also want to send me with a ship that has its own communication system. Batuu’s system is…slow. Even for Wild Space.” Eli added. Thrawn likely knew that, but, “if I need to send a message, I’ll want it not to be held up until there are enough messages to send.” According to whatever archaic schedule or quantity the masters of the triage system used.

~***~

“Do not forget that Grand Admiral Thrawn is currently seeking this information, and he has two Inquisitors which he will be using,” Shay reminded Skye, voice almost icy at Skye’s flippant disregard. “Considering he ran across Eira last time, he will use the Inquisitors. It is possible they will examine the same area.”

Adlai shivered at the thought. He’d had more than enough to do with Inquisitors already to last a lifetime.

He was tempted to ask why Eira wasn’t being used, but suspected he knew: Shay didn’t want Thrawn getting confident with seeing the same foe, over and over.

“What I need are contacts,” Shay added, “who can get me to the top of Zeval’s organization. Get that however you can, and I’ll do the rest,” and then Eira would be sent, though Shay didn’t need to mention that and stir up problems once again.

“We’ll be careful,” Adlai said.

“Agreed,” Rem said, “least I shouldn’t draw any inquisitor attention,” he hoped, anyways, though he wasn’t secure in that.

Nor was Nikhil, though he avoided the look his mother was giving him.

“I have shuttles prepared, and Adlai, you’ll be going as a Trooper. Nikhil will go first, in two days, then Skye and Adlai in 2.5, and Rem in three. Skye, you may go as yourself or use an outfit,” the others knew what to do, so she had no need to mention it. Nikhil was a registered bounty hunter, and Rem – well, Rem shapeshifted. No issues. “The schedule is staggered. I want you all back after a week. If it is going to take longer than that, come back anyways; I’ll figure out what to do about it.”

Thrawn nodded, already pulling up the information at his desk to send to Eli. “I will need you to leave within the next day or so. No doubt if we’re following the same trail as our Jedi friend, then she will also be searching for information from the Zeval Syndicate.” And Thrawn didn’t want anyone to be one step ahead of him.

He’s always the one who prefers to stay ahead.

“I have noted your suggestion.” It was an aspect Thrawn had already taken into consideration, but he was pleased his protege looked ahead and started thinking about what was needed for the mission. He hoped it would make things easier for everyone involved.

Even if that everyone included Inquisitors.

Speaking of which, “And as you may have already gathered, an Inquisitor will be accompanying you to Batuu. This isn’t something I can change.” He had already tread into dangerous territory by delving into the Breha incident without Tarkin’s permission or Inquisitors’ knowledge, but unfortunately that now had to stop. “I know this isn’t...ideal, and if they give you any trouble, let me know.”

Thrawn didn’t know how much he could help, but if the Inquisitor crossed the line too much, he would voice his dismay with Governor Tarkin.

~~~

Skye wanted to scoff and shrug off the odds of Thrawn and his goons being at Batuu at the same exact time as they were, but she didn’t. What if they were? Thrawn and Eira ran into each other last time, and if they were all on the same trail, then someone may be meeting them on Batuu.

Her stomach churned at the thought of encountering an Inquisitor or two. Sure, she defeated one already, but could she do it again?

No, you will do this. You have to.

“Objectives are loud and clear.” Go in, gather contacts, and get out. Defeat an Imp or Inquisitor if needed. Skye had to tell herself that it was no big deal, that they could do this easily, or else she would allow her thoughts to take over. And she had to remain strong, for Adlai, and for the group.

“Well if there’s a chance Thrawn might be involved, I think using a disguise would be my best bet.” They didn’t need any slip-ups. If she was seen and identified, then that could lead back to Adlai. To Eira. To the group. She wasn’t about to risk that.

Eli had indeed gathered that he wasn’t escaping the Inquisitors. ‘Lucky you.’ Eli assumed it would be both of them, leaving Thrawn with some peace as they were away from the ship. Eli would definitely let Thrawn know if they seemed to step out of line, or give him any hardship beyond attitude.

He expected plenty of attitude.

“I’ll keep you informed,” Eli answered. “And I’ll prepare myself as much as I can in those days,” with information Thrawn had sent, as well as anything else he could gather about the Syndicate and Batuu itself. He’d be ready.

Well, probably not ready to face a Jedi, but that was what the Inquisitor was for, right?

Eli did shift awkwardly, “I know I am not expected to engage a Jedi,” he said, “but is there anything you can advise me on based on your interactions? Or anything you’ve gleaned on the Jedi, in general?” He assumed Thrawn had started trying to study the Jedi, even if there wasn’t much left of their past.

The Empire had definitely done a clean sweep.

~***~

Shay certainly wasn’t going to argue Skye’s preferences. The woman wasn’t too well known yet, and it was easy to be a blonde human on Coruscant. Still, it was advisable to have a disguise. “You may make use of the Purge Trooper uniform from before, however if you have other ideas, I can see what I can have created. I cannot guarantee anything in time for this mission, but there will be others.”

“Am I Stormtrooper again?” Adlai asked.

“Yes,” Shay said in a deadpan, “You’ll always have to wear a mask.” Adlai knew that much, but he still sighed at hearing it. He wasn’t used to these missions, oddly enough, though he was glad to go with Skye. Shay apparently understood that preference without needing to ask.

“And what will Eira be doing?” Rem asked.

“Other things,” Shay said, and elaborated no further. Those who remained behind always had something to do, and Eira might just have to use the newfound relationship to distract Thrawn a little more. “Now, I will open discussion on Eira’s relationship if anyone has anything constructive to say. We all know it was a terrible decision.” Eira glowered, “however, it has been made, and I still trust Eira with my life, and all of yours.”

Not said lightly.

Everyone knew that.

“We’ve discussed the nature of information; whatever Eira learns from Thrawn, she cannot tell us.”

No matter how severe.

“But – couldn’t it be reasonable that you found the information, if she tells us?” Amita asked.

“Of course,” Shay agreed, “but what is more obvious to Thrawn?”

The point was taken. “It will be difficult enough continuing our secret, and after the Breha incident is resolved, I do believe our operations need to change.” Bail Organa came to mind. Ahsoka. There was a way to do more, out there. They just had to finish this. “However, we will first do this.”

“You’re adamant.”

“This reeks of an Imperial coverup.”

Thrawn nodded, pleased that his protege will be well prepared for the coming mission. He had no doubt that Eli would have done his research prior to leaving, and be prepared for anything that comes their way. Or almost anything.

No one can expect what a Jedi would do.

Thrawn glanced down at his desk, then back up at Eli. “There’s not much I can advise outside of what you may already know about the Jedi.” Such as be careful around them. Always expect an attack. But Thrawn searched his thoughts for any additional information he may be able to tell Eli, based on his own past concerning Jedi.

Ae’lia Kore, and Anakin Skywalker.

“I am afraid there’s not much else I can advise, except to always expect the unexpected with the Jedi.” Very helpful indeed. “And to never let your guard down. They are capable of a great many things.” Things Thrawn had seen firsthand, and no doubt much more that he had no concept of. The whispers about the legend of Jedis certainly painted them in a certain light concerning their abilities.

Jedi devilry, Thrawn mused.

~~~

Wearing the purge trooper disguise left a bad taste in Skye’s mouth. She didn’t wish to don that outfit again, not that long from the last mission that required the uniform. But she would without complaint (except maybe to Adlai a little later on). It was for the best. The disguise was necessary, and Skye had no other ideas to give Shay.

She shrugged and shook her head. The purge trooper outfit would be fine, and compliment Adlai’s stormtrooper uniform.

The conversation transitioned back to Eira’s love life. And it went as splendidly as one could expect.

Neither Lin nor Skye had any additions to make concerning the topic. Lin said everything he already wanted to say to her, and Skye felt her words were better for private.

Though Lin didn’t like the thought of what Shay had said. “Change of operations?” he repeated, moreso muttering to himself. “As in we’re changing how we’re doing things around here...or far more serious?” He liked their current setup, damnit, even if some of them grated on his nerves with the way they treated Eira’s new relationship.

‘That’s helpful.’ The dull expression on Eli’s face indicated how not helpful the advice to expect the unexpected was. Eli hardly had any real idea what Jedi were capable of, besides that bit he experienced on Corellia with – what was it? – three Jedi? He wasn’t eager to deal with even one after that.

An Inquisitor had died there, as well.

He might have to actually talk to the Inquisitors to understand. Considering his life was at risk around Jedi, he swallowed, forced himself to ask, “Are the Inquisitors available for discussion or mission prep?” Much as Eli Vanto didn’t want to do it, he knew it was necessary. They would need to be informed of the upcoming mission, and he had to try and get information on the Jedi, right?

They may not know the particular Jedi they were up against, but they would have a better idea of what the Jedi could do, and what to be aware of. There wasn’t exactly any art for Thrawn to study, and get an idea himself.

~***~

Shay met Lin’s gaze as he questioned that, “Likely, both. I foresee us joining the larger rebellion in the near future, more directly.” They had already taken part in helping them, and in helping smaller organizations, like Saw’s. “It’s evident the Empire has become too aware of us, which would require a change regardless.”

A change of venue, and much else.

“Joining with the larger rebellion more properly would offer us more resources, as well as more protection.”

“And limited freedom,” Amita pointed out, frowning. She wasn’t upset with the idea, but she also enjoyed their ability to dictate what they wanted to do, and how they wanted to go about it. “The Empire must know about the larger rebellion.”

Shay shook her head, “No.” Which was a surprise even to her, “They still believe we are a lot of disjointed groups, not working in tandem. I think it is time that changed. So do others.” The Lothal Ghost crew, for one. She wasn’t sure about the Mantis, they had vanished from her radar a bit after the mission, but…she hoped.

The expression on Eli’s face did not escape Thawn’s notice, but there was nothing more he could offer in advice to his protege. The Jedi was a challenge he was going to have to learn on his feet, if they encountered one on their mission.

And Eli continued to surprise him by asking if the Inquisitors were actually available for discussion. Thrawn would’ve balked at the idea, unless absolutely necessary. Apparently Eli thought it necessary.

The brave soul.

“They still need to be updated on the mission at hand, but I imagined they would be available for discussion beyond that.” Thrawn needed to message them as soon as he was done talking with Eli. Any mission that concerned the Jedi, concerned them, after all. “I will be sure to do that before you speak with them.” Via message on the holopad, the moment Eli turns to leave.

“Is there anything else you wish to discuss?” Not that he was actively trying to rid of Eli, Thrawn merely wondered how else he could help.

~~~

Any major changes in how they functioned did not sit well with Lin. He was opposed to many changes in his daily routine, but what could he say to it? That he didn’t want the group to function any differently because he disliked change?

It was stupid, but he had grown used to the way things operated amongst them, even with the addition of a new member, a Jedi knight.

“Understood,” Lin said with a single nod of his head, curls bouncing.

Skye nibbled on her lower lip as Shay explained the situation. A larger rebellion at hand. More resources…”And more Jedi,” she muttered. More everything. Dare she say it, even more hope?

Hope is all that she had most days to keep herself going. She had to keep that hope.

“Do we know yet how we will merge with these other groups? Or is that remain to be seen?” Skye was curious about these other groups, some she had already met either through a meeting under the guise of a party, or from a mission to Lothal. How much bigger was the rebellion than she previously thought?

At least Eli wouldn’t be informing the Inquisitors himself of the situation. Not that he expected to, but he still felt some wariness about being the one to inform them. What was he compared to a Grand Admiral? Not to mention that would probably make Thrawn look bad. He didn’t want to do that to him.

So he also wracked his brain for anything else he might need. He couldn’t think of anything, and slowly shook his head, “No,” he said, “If I think of anything, I’ll send you a message,” he offered, “If that’s all, I’ll go ahead and find the Inquisitors,” he didn’t imagine that would be too difficult. He had an idea of where their quarters were.

He had to hope they were there.

And in a relatively good mood – whatever that looked like for one of them. Good enough that they’d humor him with answers about the Jedi in general, and the one they were targeting, at any rate. ‘If they even knew anything….’ Eli knew how numerous the Jedi used to be. It was probably improbable that either one knew this Jedi.

~***~

Yes. More Jedi. Cal, Ahsoka, Cere, Kanan, Ezra – and the Nightsister, Merrin. It was an interesting group that was out there. Eira would enjoy working with them more, and trying to rebuild what once was…or at least, supporting it from the sides. She and Ahsoka might not find a place at the actual Jedi table.

They had both shrugged it off.

“To be seen,” Shay answered Skye, “what this mission leads to remains to be seen, and it has the potential to create many drastic changes, if it goes where I think it will.” Which was straight up to the top of the Empire. They just had to prove it in a way the Empire couldn’t deny.

Not possible…but they could convince many others, with enough evidence. Shay hadn’t decided if the fact Thrawn was following it was good or bad. She assumed bad, but if Eira thought there was some hope for Thrawn…perhaps it wasn’t.

Shay wouldn’t hold her breath.

“I’ll begin preparations for everyone’s departures immediately,” she said, “there’s nothing else I have to discuss at the moment.”

Thrawn gave a brief, singular nod. “Good.” Eli was a competent officer, like many aboard the Chimaera. Even one of the most competent, he dared to think. He trusted the officer to do what was necessary to successfully complete a task and a mission to Batuu, where they may encounter their Jedi. Ae’lia.

“You are dismissed.” Once Eli left Thrawn’s office, he would immediately begin to compose a message to send to both Inquisitors, a message detailing the mission to Batuu and its details, including Thrawn’s thoughts of Ae’lia appearing. High.

She was following the same clues as he, and she seemed to be gathering said clues at the same pace as he was. Thus the continued encounters with the Jedi.

He was almost disappointed that he wouldn’t get to encounter her this time. No, instead the Inquisitors get to take that glory while Thrawn remained behind, tending to the needs of the Chimaera.

Thrawn would hope for the success of the mission, for Eli’s sake.

~~~

Potential to create many drastic changes. Lin didn’t know how he felt about that, but he was powerless to do anything about it, as he was stuck on Coruscant for the foreseeable future, tied to rehearsals of the play opening very soon.

But maybe it could even mean better things, if not more daring, if they were teaming up with other rebels to directly attack the Empire.

Skye accepted Shay’s answer for now. She would be the one going on the mission. She would be the one to see firsthand how the mission may lead to drastic changes.

She was curious to see what they would find on this mission.

As Shay dismissed them, Skye wouldn’t immediately turn to Adlai to leave the meeting. Instead, she would approach Eira with a serene expression, to show no harm. She wasn’t there to yell at Eira, wondering what was going through her mind, even if that was something she initially thought of when the news broke.

“The media hasn’t exactly been kind to you.” Kind of a ‘no shit’ moment. “I’m here if you ever need to talk or vent. I’m sure we can even go back to that sky-faring room if need be.”

The Inquisitors were not difficult to find. Half of the ship was keeping track of where they went, though thankfully they had not gone further than their quarters. The message was delivered before Eli arrived, so when he pressed the comm for one of the rooms, the Inquisitor wasn’t terribly surprised to see him.

Just annoyed.

“Hello,” Eli tried to be polite, “I’m Commander Vanto. I was hoping to learn a bit more about the Jedi before we left to Batuu, with you and…the other.” He realized right then he didn’t know how to identify this Inquisitor.

The Inquisitor offered him no help with that, either. Just scoffed. “Just stay out of our way. That should be enough.”

Eli swallowed, “Maybe,” he agreed, “but it might help me stay out of the way if I understood the range a Jedi has.” He wasn’t to be deterred so easily, and Third Brother eyed him with something akin to suspicion, before under that helmet, he smirked.

“Fine.” No one was ever interested in this, and it might be fun to scare the kid with demonstrations of a Jedi’s range. “Walk all the way to the end of the hall.”

Eli did not want to do this.

Eli did it anyways, and as soon as he turned back to Third Brother, he saw a flash of red, and then heard the humming of the lightsaber. That humming grew louder and Eli didn’t even have time to duck before the lightsaber was thrumming above his head, the red blade in the wall above his head.

Eli swallowed.

“If they can see you, you’re in range.” Third Brother called, before pulling his lightsaber back with the Force. “Even if they can’t see you, you’re in range. I know where Grand Admiral Thrawn is on this ship, at all times, Commander Vanto.”

“N…noted.” Well. This was going swimmingly. Thrawn wasn’t going to be happy about the damage to the Chimaera.

~***~

The meeting began to disband, and Eira rose from her place near Shay, intent to go straight home. She’d had enough of this for one day, and felt she had gotten off easy, despite the reactions here. She got the point – no one was happy. Not the rebels, not the media – no one. It was going to be a difficult few weeks. ‘And for what?’

An Imperial with drastically different views who supported the Sith.

She was, in fact, a fucking idiot.

Eira gave Skye a bit of a dull look at the comment on the media. It was, indeed, a ‘no shit’ comment that didn’t really need an answer. Skye was also trying to be nice, something it seemed Adlai wasn’t reaching out to do. Not that Eira blamed him, or suspected he was truly as upset as Rem – she could sense that he wasn’t – but she was still a little sad. She sighed at the offer.

What would it even do at this point? ‘Isolating yourself will not help. It will build resentment.’ That. It would protect against that. “That might be good,” the sky-faring room wouldn’t be hard to access.

How much of a scandal would it cause for her to be seen with Adlai’s bodyguard again? Couldn’t be much, there had been some admittance of friendship…people saw her go that way before. “You should probably make sure Adlai gets home, though,” a bit of a chuckle, “we can consider a date in the future.”

It wasn’t long after Fourth Brother received the message from Thrawn that he heard Thrawn’s officer, some kid he couldn’t remember the name of, and Third Brother talking in the hallway. He was curious enough to see why the kid would want to speak with one of them. No one else bothered to contact them, and for good reason.

Fourth Brother stepped out into the hallway just as soon as Third Brother threw the lightsaber at the officer. He smirked and crossed his arms over his chest while leaning against the doorway.

“Scaring the kid?” Not that he cared, If anything, he was amused by the display. The officer was scared, as he should be. Both Jedi and Inquisitors were formidable opponents that could easily best the kid in a fight with one hand tied behind their back.

“If you want advice on how to deal with the Jedi, don’t. Just stay away from them and leave them to us.” Fourth Brother shook his head and straightened up. “Unless you wish to needlessly risk your life for some foolish attempt to be the hero of the day.” And he gathered the officer wasn’t that stupid.

He didn’t care either way. Officers could be replaced.

~~~

Skye gave a toothy grin as Eira acknowledged that it might be good for the two of them to meet up in the sky-faring room. They didn’t even have to talk about Thrawn, and why Eira thought it was a brilliant idea to date the Grand Admiral who is actively hunting them down. She undoubtedly heard enough of that as is.

Skye wanted to be a friend for Eira. She wasn’t thinking of their image in the eyes of the media, or how people perceive their friendship. She was only thinking of their actual friendship. It was all that mattered to her in the moment.

“Good, then we can plan a date together sometime soon.” At the mention of Adlai, Skye chuckled and glanced over at the aforementioned man. “You’re right. I can’t neglect my duties and let him wander Coruscant by himself.” He was more than capable of defending himself, but it wouldn’t look good if his bodyguard suddenly went missing. “Talk to you later?” A request rather than a demand.

Skye gave Eira another smile before she turned and walked back over to Adlai. “Ready to go?”

Yes, Eli was afraid. There was no denying that. He was also terribly annoyed with this lesson, even if it did effectively prove a point about the Jedi. He walked back down the hall to where Fourth Brother had joined Third Brother. “I understand not to fight a Jedi head-on, and leave it to you two. I get it.”

He swiped some of his hair back that had moved out of place thanks to the lightsaber. Not that it had much of a place. “However, the last time we went up against Ae’lia and there was an Inquisitor, the Inquisitor died.”

“That wasn’t Ae’lia,” Third Brother said with confidence, “that was likely Cal.” Fucking padawan turned knight. He had killed three Inquisitors now. “Ae’lia isn’t much of a threat compared to him.”

“And how do you know that?” Eli snapped, feeling his anger rise at all the dismissive tones and the general attitude.

“Because I knew Ae’lia, and she wasn’t a knight,” he scoffed, “she’s not even a Jedi,” technically speaking, “but she was a councilor. They’re not fighters.” Disregarding Dooku, and the fact Ae’lia learned his style. Ironic. “Dangerous to you – but not to us.”

~***~

Eira grinned at Skye’s easy agreement, and intention to get back to Adlai – poor, defenseless, Adlai. “When you get back from this mission,” and before she set off on her own, as no doubt she’d be tapped next, “I’ll make sure to get it reserved,” she promised.

And ignored the thought of showing Thrawn skyfaring.

He didn’t need to know more about Gatalenta culture. He didn’t need to know more about Amilyn Holdo.

She let Skye return to Adlai, and she would wait until the room was clear of everyone, except Shay. “I think it would be best if I stopped coming to these, for a while,” Eira said lowly. “I can still take direction from you…but I’d only know what you want.”

“Odd consideration,” Shay noted, packing up her things gradually. “It’d be much easier—”

“If I went with easier, I would have never recruited you, would I?” Eira snapped, the flare dying as soon as it came. Yes…she was having a bad go of things, wasn’t she? She needed to meditate. To calm. “I’m trying to protect them. And you.”

“Your ignorance may be more damning. And your leaving, an admission of guilt.” Shay stated bluntly. “You stay.” And that would be the end of it, before the two would leave together.

~***~

Adlai had hung back for Skye, and smiled when she returned to him. “Ready when you are,” he had expected her conversation to take longer, but evidently, Eira wasn’t in much of a mood. He couldn’t blame her for that, considering all he was trying to avoid with the media in much the same way.

He didn’t think the blowback would be quite as bad for him.

Especially now.

He wouldn’t dwell on the likelihood that her action had just lessened the blow. He waited until they had left the area to ask, “How is everything?” He could go and find out himself, but he was not yet ready to make that approach in good faith and he knew it.

Skye had Jedi sense anyways. She could likely sense what Eira wasn’t saying.

“You assume too much,” Fourth Brother scoffed with a shake of his head. Third Brother’s confidence in his own answers could be his own downfall. He didn’t quite believe who the mysterious Jedi was, but as far as he was concerned, a Jedi was a Jedi, regardless of their knight or councilor role.

They were all dangerous.

“As far as I am concerned, this Ae’lia is just as capable of killing an Inquisitors as any other Jedi knight.” Which meant they couldn’t slack off when it came to facing the Jedi. He wondered if the other Inquisitors did just that when facing the Jedi - it would certainly explain their easy demise.

“And we don’t even know how many Jedi we’re working with. For all we know, there could be several working together if they’re smart enough,” Fourth Brother pointed out. If they’re smart enough. If they’re resourceful enough. If they found each other. He wouldn’t let complete arrogance take over like it seemed to have with his fellow Inquisitor.

But some were still there. He was confident he could best any Jedi knight in a duel.

~~~

Skye would hold Eira to that promise - that promise of them actually getting the chance to talk without any prying ears to worry about.

But for now, she had a mission to consider.

She smiled at Adlai as they began to leave the area, but she soon sighed as Adlai asked his question. “I worry for her,” she admitted. “She didn’t say much, but I suspect she’s beginning to feel lonely.” Not doubtful, if all of her friends, those who tended to lean away from the Empire, gave her the cold shoulder as the shock of her new relationship still tried to wear itself off.

“Some frustration,” Eira didn’t have to say anything for Skye to pick up on that, if she was reading her friend correctly. “Frustration with the way people are acting towards her. Frustration with the media.” Nothing that Skye could blame Eira for.

But she also couldn’t blame people for acting differently towards her. Really, dating a high ranking Imperial? How could Eira know this wasn’t some part of Thrawn’s convoluted plan to unravel the rebels?

Unless he really, truly, felt something for Eira.

Third Brother gave a dismissive wave, “She’s not,” he was still speaking with confidence about Ae’lia. She might be able to organize things, but he doubted her ability to actually kill either himself or Fourth Brother. Even Eli, if he was honest, but Eli didn’t need to know that. Not to mention, things could have changed.

Yet, Third Brother clung to what he knew, and what he knew was a pacifist who hated hurting even a fly. Wouldn’t even eat meat. She was harmless in a fight. But – she was working with the likes of Cal, Cere, and possibly others.

It was possible they could run into those others. “The records don’t show that many remaining, anyways.” Something Third Brother tried not to think about, as well. Once the Jedi were all gone, he would have his peace at last…he both wanted it, and feared it.

Eli scowled at them both, “None of this helps.”

“Because you seem to refuse to listen to sense about staying away.”

“Maybe because I can’t stay away, because we’re on this mission together, and I doubt either of you are going to stick your neck out to help me.” Third Brother’s laugh seemed to confirm that, “so since I can’t stay away, and I can’t rely on either of you two to make sure I don’t die, what can I do?”

“You really are tenacious,” he supposed he could give the officer props for that. “Fine, you want something to do that helps us all? Threaten civilians.” Eli paled, “Jedi will go out of their way to do stupid shit to save civilians, which will leave them wide open. Might risk your own neck, but you want something, do that.”

Eli didn’t think he could. And Third Brother sensed his resolve shaking. “Or you can get in a vehicle and hide. Odds are you’ll be safe in one. They’re heavy, even with the Force, and to use a lightsaber means getting around us. They’re not going to reach you inside the vehicle with the Force, either.”

At least, probably they wouldn’t.

~***~

Lonely.

It was a word Adlai would have used to describe Eira from the beginning, in truth, so somehow that did not strike him as odd. It must have hit Skye as odd, though. Perhaps there had been a swell of comradery when Skye showed up that caused that loneliness to fade. When the other Jedi did, too. Something that had swelled enough that, for a while, that loneliness wasn’t so apparent.

Now it was back – or it had worsened beyond her norm.

“I suppose I could have done more,” but he hadn’t. He would, next time. He needed to, so that Eira didn’t forget they were there for her…even if they disagreed with some of her decisions relating to Imperial employees.

Especially high ranking ones. This was her second Grand Admiral that she’d befriended.

“Well, at least we’re still managing to work together in spite of this,” and would continue to, with any luck, “the change Shay’s talking about may just help with everything.” They’d become too numerous.

Too difficult to narrow down.

And a part of a wider array of strategies. “I know you’re probably uncomfortable with that.” What it could mean for her, for revealing herself to a larger audience, “I’ll make sure you don’t have to let anyone else in that you don’t want to. I’m sure Shay will hold to that, as well.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back