• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Sorrow’s Reach - Exalted 3e

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Gatherer smiles at the minister "Oh dear, my sincere apologies. We have traveled here on haste, and it seems that I might have forgotten my manners." She smiles shyly at the minister, and rises to give a small curtsy, in a flawless manner. "My name is Gatherer of Clouds, and me and my friends have been sent here, to try and enlist the mighty Laral Kingdom's aid in defending an isolated village that this dear friend of ours" at which time she points at the 'beggar' they had picked up "is very keen to see safely, and, on my behalf, i would love to see all of Creation band together to help it's people thrive and prosper. But I digress, the main reason we are seeking your protection for that village, is because we have heard rumors, and managed to corroborate them, that various groups of the dead are terrorizing the country side. For now, it seems confined to places with no real connection to nations as powerful as yourself."

At that point she stops, and focuses on the minister, and those with him, to try and gauge their reactions.

Spending two motes on Motive Discerning Technique, and one mote on Quicksilver Falcon's Eye.

The first gives me double 9's on read intentions, and the second let's me know whether they used Guile or Resolve to 'defend' against social influence.

4 Suxxes on Social influence
2 suxxes on read intentions

"Thank you," says the Minister, "for providing the background and context. And so, the main concern seems to be the Undead threat you speak of. And the safety of this...village? And you're hoping that we can provide some protection." He nods again and takes a long draft from his wine cup. A long silence stretches while he considers you all, clearly thinking. Rubbing his chin.

He's hesitating, a clear indication that his resolve is the key, here.

But, you cannot get a good read on his immediate intentions here. (You missed the roll.)

"First, to the Undead. Our own Kingdom has suffered attacks. We know of them. We are taking necessary precautions to protect our people. With all that threatens our people, you can imagine our resources must be spent wisely and for those in our protection first. Tell me, what do you offer in trade for Leral's protection?"

Last edited:
Tomiko shifts about in her seat, feeling a bit uncomfortable. "We faced off against a undead horde in the town we were at, and were victorious, even in the face of one of the Deathknights. We did it once, we can do it again, but what is needed now is a united front from all the people of the area here to band together and stand as one against the blight that comes from the Underworld. If not, I fear that the Deathknights and their dark masters will win the day."

The Minister looks at you, Tomiko. Something flashes in his eyes. Some emotion. “Yes. The Undead are a serious threat. It is good that they can be beaten. However, are you bringing the rest of the Hundred Kingdoms behind you to create your ‘unity’? Or are you trying to say you’ll render your services and commit your village’s people to Leral’s defense?”

Tomiko gives a sigh. "It is far too early to start talking about the rest of the Hundred Kingdoms. There is an old saying that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and we are just beginning our journey down this path. Plus, the people of this village are not going to be much help to Leral in a military sense, after all, these people are simple farmers, but perhaps there are other ways that having an alliance with the people of this village can benefit Leral. Supplies to help feed your own city, perhaps. Intelligence from the people that live and work in that part of the Hundred Kingdoms. There are many possible things that can be brought to the table."

“Hmmm…” says the Minister. “All right. Your town surrenders all land and titles to the Leral Kingdom. That means taxation and governance. All crops and products of your town would be the King’s. Then you’d have our protection.”

Tomiko rolls her eyes. "Why don't we add all the available virgins in the town be plundered by you while we're at it. Please, lets be reasonable here. What can these people offer to you that they would be willing to give?"

Scorpion snorts. "We are wasting our time here. The village is just too small and insignificant for the high and mighty Kingdom of Leral to bother with. Why do the right thing and stand up against the cancer that will eventually eat Leral alive? We should wait until the armies of the dead is on your doorstep and it is you begging for help and then you can see what it feels like."

The Minister studies you all for a moment that seems to stretch on.

At this point, you haven't uncovered any of the Minister's intimacies which makes social influence much easier. You all have a few choices, they all involve influence rolls:

Charisma, Manipulation, or Appear- ance plus a relevant Ability​

Obviously, how your describe your action determines what attributes and abilities you can use and vise versa. With how the conversation has gone so far, here are the choices:
  1. Bargain - this doesn't require knowing his intimacies, but you'd have to put something on the table to bargain with. To do so, tell us what you say and roll an influence roll vs his resolve 3.
  2. Persuade - this is the hardest choice as you don't have any read on his intimacies. Describe what you're doing and roll an influence roll vs his resolve 3. The tough part here is that it's a gamble. Even if you make the roll, your success is limited by how it lines up with his intimacies.
  3. Threaten - I mean, there are consequences, but you'd probably get it done. Again, roll an influence roll vs his resolve 3.

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws Crocodile Crocodile MasterDAF MasterDAF

Gatherer listened intently to thew exchange, and was focusing on the minister's body language. Sometimes, even the "High and Mighty" might let things slip by their body language, as to the things that bother and excite them.

Perception + Socialize
This is used to try and reveal any intimacies he might have let slip

6 successes

Gatherer, you’ve been studying the Minister during this conversation intently. He’s let very little slip. He’s good at what he does.

But, sometimes it’s what’s in the obvious that is the most useful. A simpleton could see the obvious tie this man has to the Leral Kingdom. Yet, it’s the nuance that makes it something useful. Most would simple say that the Minister cares for the Leral Kingdom because it’s his duty. Or that he grew up within the Kingdom’s borders. At the very least, they’d say his ambition is tied directly to the Leral Kingdom.

But, you’re a master at the social cues and subtleties of human expression. You see it. It’s there, if you know where to look. Yes, this man’s life is tied to the Leral Kingdom in a major way. But, it’s negative. Painful. He’s been severely punished or even tortured for failures.

You uncover a major intimacy: Leral Kingdom (Tortured). If you align with the intimacy, he’ll have a -2 resolve against your rolls.

Gatherer sighs audibly, and gets up on her feet, making as if to leave before calling on her fellow Solars. "Well, I'd guess that it was a mistake coming here. Clearly, the 'Great' kingdom of Leral has suffered defeat from these undead, and is unable, and unwilling, to extend it's protection, as meager as it may be. Perhaps one day, when it is either too burdened by its own Failures, it might seek such protections herself, or maybe one day, it will see that the ones who paved the way to this alliance, that the Minister has suggested, receive much accolades for their foresight, they might see that this one just one more failure on their part."

3 suxxes, but he has -2 to his Resolve/Guile

Last edited:
Gatherer, you last sentence drives the spear of fear into the Minister's heart. You can see it in his wide eyes and tight jaw.

"Wait!" the Minister says as he stands, almost knocking over his chair. "Please sit. Let's not be hasty. I have ... offended. I apologize. Please, for the good of both our people. Leral will help you. We will not abandon our neighbors in their time of need. Sit. Please."

The discussion over the next hours is fruitful and grueling. But, in the end, Leral will commit a regiment of troops to Sinju. In exchange, the town will pay a reasonable tax in crops at the end of the season. The details take the better part of the day.

When the proceedings are complete, the Minister acknowledges your hard work. He gives instructions for you to be treated like guests of honor. A Lerallan General has generously volunteered his manor for your use while you stay in the kingdom. Household attendants empty the manor for you before you arrive. A full compliment of staff and servants attend to your every need.

That evening, you're all relaxing in the manor's sitting room. A fire crackles in the grand marble fireplace. Servants have laid out delicate cakes and sweets on a long table against a wall. Tea waits in three porcelain teapots for you. An hour earlier, you were served a feast in the great hall.

The Beggar lounges on the red-velvet sofa near the fire. "That could have gone a lot worse," he says. "I was sure we were leaving empty handed."

Last edited:
Gatherer was relaxed and fully in her element, enjoying the afterglow of a well earned victory.

At the beggar's words, she raises a toast with her tea. "I took a chance pushing some buttons that might have gone either way, but thankfully, it worked out well. Please, if you will, do tell us more about who you REALLY are."

Tomiko sits delicately in her seat, holding a cup of tea up to her lips to take a sip. I miss this kind of treatment that I once knew back home. Even as a mortal, I was always well treated and looked at in high regard as a member of House Ledaal. Now, I'm a wanted felon for being gifted with the Exaltation of the Sun. Someday, things will change and I will once more walk the halls of my old home without fear of attack from the Wyld Hunt.

When Gatherer makes her 'request' of the beggar to reveal the truth of who he is, Tomiko lowers the tea and places it gently on the table in front of her. "Yes, indeed. I, too, would like to know the answers to the many questions that I have about you. I know you are an Exalt, and despite your lack of action when the dead attacked, you seem to have a strong connection to the people of the town. First off, what is your name?"

Scorpion looks at the tea and is feeling sad that it is not a more potent drink. Instead of the dainty sipping that the other ladies are doing, she takes a goodly sized slug of the drink and put the empty cup on the table next to her. Looking over at the beggar, she nods, "Yeah, having some answers from you would be nice. Like what your whole deal is in this."

81f07231bd1240515e1b617e2c0bc68d.jpgThe beggar stands, staring into the fire. He doesn't take his eyes off it as he walks toward the fireplace. Putting an arm up agains the mantel, he leans forward and thinks. A long moment passes. He seems to decide as he nods to himself.

He turns to face you all. All at once, the illusion melds away and a young woman stands before you. Her hair is a deep pink. Her deep green eyes seem to see through you.

“My name,” the young girl says, “is Vermillion Twilight of Auspicious Shroud. And know that I have protected Sinju for a very long time. Too long, in fact. What do you know of the Usurpation and the rise of the Dragon-Blooded?”

Gatherer almost jumps out of her skin at the change in the beggar's. But composes herself and tries to answer.
"We have been schooled by others of your kind, and have been told that some of the Sidereals have engineered it."

Tomiko raises up an eyebrow at the sudden change, but does not react any other way. "I suspected as much, and yes, we have some education in the Fall of the Deliberative. Of how the leading faction of Sidereals engineered the overthrow at the hands of the Dragon-Blooded. How does that play into this? Does the town of Sinju feature into the Usurpation somehow?"

“Yes, well, both sides of that equation told themselves they knew what was best,” Vermillion Twilight says. She moves to the tea table and begins making a cup of tea.

“The Sidereals looked ahead into Creation’s Fate, saw what they saw. Made choices. Their best minds. They ended up splitting in two. Two sides. Two readings of Fate.”

She taps her spoon on the edge of her cup and then moves back to the couch in front of the fire. “It happened so fast. Too fast. Lines were drawn. It was war. A silent war that continues today. You’re all part of it. Whether you like it or not. Just being what you ensures that.”

Vermillion Twilight sips her tea. “Amid all that, the Sidereals were blinded by their portents and preparation. They made two mistakes. One, their ‘looking ahead’ only looked so far ahead. It was the destruction or disintegration of Creation in a relatively close future. But what about after it was saved?

“Two, they didn’t think about the things that sit outside Fate. There are many such things in our reality. It was my pointing out of this second point that alienated me from the rest. Both sides shunned me. I didn’t fit into their new realities.”

She waves a hand, dismissing her monologue as too long. “The point is, I did what little I could. There’s a ‘book’ called the Broken Winged Crane. It sits squarely outside Fate. It took me a long time to find it. I searched while my brethren executed the Usurpation. You have to understand this book is more than a book. It’s an entity from Elsewhere. A being telling of a future that spells the end of Creation. Above and beyond what the Sidereals saw ahead for Fate. The book is a written history of destruction. There are many copies. And not all at the same completeness or power. But they’re all connected to each other. There is one original. And one whole, complete copy. I found the original. Once I found it, I wrote myself out of Fate so I could hide the book. Once I did that I hid in Creation. I found a town small enough to escape notice and hid the book there. It was the best I could do with everything happening around me.

“So yes, by now, you’ve guessed, correctly, that Sinju is that town. Or more accurately, a version of it. It was different and something else when I found it. Doesn’t matter. The book is hidden there. And I’ve protected it there for a very long time.” She sips her tea again.

Gatherer was about to interrupt Vermillion a couple of times, thinking she knew the truth, but fell silent when the Broken Winged Crane was mentioned. That was a twist she didn't know about, and could barely begin to comprehend.
Her tea was cooling in her shaking hands.
So many questions were rising, and she was dumbstruck as to what question to ask first.

Scorpion is not as well educated as some of the others, but there are still some smarts rattling around up inside her head. "So, if Sinju is a manifestation of this book or whatever its is, what happens if the town is attacked again? And if one of these Deathlords gets their claws on it? Can it be moved, or is it 'stuck' in place?"

Tomiko asks, "Just what is inside this Broken Winged Crane anyways? Is it only a means of predicting the future, or does it have other uses? And Scorpion makes a valid point. Can the book be moved safely?"

OOC I'd like to try a Int + Lore roll to see if I know anything about this book.

6 successes

Tomiko, you know a bit about the book for sure. You know that it’s a book of incredibly powerful spells. You know it contains many secrets of power and lore. Basically, infinite knowledge. In fact, at its mention, you feel a tug at the back of your mind. A want. So subtle.

Vermillion Twilight shakes her head. “Oh no. It’s still as much of a book as it every was. It can be moved. But, I have it sealed away under the town in a special ... let’s call it vault. The vault serves a few purposes. But first and foremost, I designed it to sever the connection to all the other copies out there so it couldn’t be tracked. Not to mention I’d never let anyone else touch it or get near it.”

Vermillion sighs. “I realize, it makes it a touch more difficult, but I don’t think anyone knows about it being in Sinju. Or knew about it, I should say. I bet they have a hunch now that one of their Champions was destroyed in town. If that’s not what they were looking for, they’ll start asking questions for sure.”

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws MasterDAF MasterDAF Crocodile Crocodile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back