• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Sorrow’s Reach - Exalted 3e

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The lives of Creation are varied and tumultuous. So, too, are Creation’s threats. But you have been Chosen by the Sun himself to bring Creation back from the brink. Against impossible odds. Against an Age of Sorrows.

As part of this Fate, you all were spirited away by the Cult of the Illuminated. You were given safe passage, safe shelter, and safe training. The camps and lessons were brutal, but only as to harden you and your resolve to the task at hand. For the Solars have fallen once already to their Dragon-Blooded cousins. Your numbers are less than fewer now; the Wyld Hunt is ever a threat. And the Terrestrial Empire, while holding its breath, remains stout.

In your time with the Cult, you've learned your place. From when the Outer Circle of mortals hid and smuggled you to when the Inner Circle of Gods, Elementals, and Exalts trained you, it has been clear you are destined for more. Expected, even. But, it's more than hopes and dreams. There is work to be done. Now.

Your graduation from the Cult training camps was anti-climactic. You were given a handler and set to meet her with all haste. Having travelled together for weeks, you now sit in the cellar of The Laughing Dragon—a Cult safe house somewhere in the chain. Across the table, a woman pulls the hood on her cloak back. Her eyes are wise, yet youthful. Her cloak is deep purple over a purple kimono. When she smiles, it’s warm, polite, yet has a hint of mocking.
00E9E623-3714-4B39-BCD2-43C3E9F4DC24.png
“I am Amythest Depths,” she says. “I’ve been tasked with working with you toward our shared goals for the Cult.” She lifts a welcoming hand with grace. “Let’s start with introductions. I’d like to put names to faces.”

She waits for you to comply.

(Note: though who the Sidereals are and their nature has been revealed in the Cult to you, you know nothing of Gold vs Bronze faction. The Cult does not share that information with its Solar charges.)

Sherwood Sherwood , Psychie Psychie , Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws , Crocodile Crocodile

Last edited:
The rather studious looking former Dynast has done her best to keep details of her former life hidden from as many as she can. There are those that regard her as a spy for the Realm or even worse despite her own Solar Exaltation. In her thoughts, she realizes that this instructor probably knows her House name, but even so, she simply says, "Well met, Amethyst. I am Tomiko, and I look forward to learning more at your instruction."

Gatherer looked at Amethys Depths, and tried to discern her motives. It was a game for her, and one where she sometimes managed to glean pieces of information from their benefactors. She smiled broadly at the Sidereal, and nodded at Tomiko's words. That girl is hiding things, and while it shouldn't be too hard to glean them from her, for some reason she felt that if would be best if she volunteered the information of her own free will. Was she getting soft? Shaking her head slightly, and letting her her elaborate hairdo jingle with the bells attached to it, she offered her words "It is such a pleasure to finally meet you, and I look forward, as I am sure my fellows are too, to work with you." She rises slightly from her chair, and gives a courtesy, and then says "My name is Gatherer of Clouds, at your service."

Spending 5m on Harmonious Presence Meditation, 2m on Motive Discerning Technique (-1m discount from first charm), so rolling a total of Perception (4) + Socialize (5) + Hamrmonious Presence Meditation (3), so 12 dice, and gaining double 9's.
So she got a total of 7 successes

The woman with just one arm and missing her eye shifts her weight on the seat that she has taken and looks over at the others that have joined her there. She finally turns her attention to Amethyst and gives her a perfunctory nod. "I am Scorpion. That is the only name that I am known by in the South, and I would hazard a guess that I am not known anywhere else. I have earned my coin as a sword dancer, letting my apparent vulnerability lure in easy marks. After a while of doing that and making a name for myself, I came here. Not much else to say about me that is worth telling."

She then turns her attention to the others that have not spoken yet, wondering what they will say for themselves.

The only man present was a massive one, powerfully built and tall. His upper body was exposed as if he had little care for armor, revealing the scars on his tanned skin earned through his life as a gladiator before falling into more silent venues of pay. He moved with surprising grace for his size, clearly used to it and he didn't seem to make a lot of noise when he didn't want to. He regarded the others quietly, taking in details and information, always observant of his surroundings when possible. His utter lack of weaponry only seemed to complete the oddity of his assured confidence he seemed to display, as if he didn't need them.

"I am Mountain Shadow."

Scorpion smiles to herself. Better watch him; he may talk our ears off if we have to train with him very much. Heh. "Mountain Shadow? You lack any visible weapons; are you a brawler, or do you study a more focused fighting style of a martial art technique? Or do you possess a weapon that is simply hidden at the moment?"

Clouds, Amythest Depths is like a closed book when it comes to what her true intentions are. She doesn’t have any ticks or tells. None that you’ve picked up on just yet. But, you’re social sense powered by Essence picks up on the indiscernible. You’re able to piece together things that you could not describe to a mortal. A muscle movement here. A shift there. You know that without your use of Charms, you wouldn’t be able to gather any information. An yet, you have gleaned the impossible.

You know that Amythest Depths is here to learn all she can about you all so that she can oversee and assign the tasks given to you as a team by Cult. But, she has a dual purpose. She is also scrutinizing you all to see how she can exploit you for her own gain.

“Yes,” Amythest Depths says, agreeing with Scorpion’s question. She smiles. “Tell us, Mountain Shadow. I’d love to hear more about you.”

Last edited:
Gatherer of Clouds shows no evidence that she gleaned anything, or even that she attempted to, and leans in to hear more about their muscle-bound fellow. Isn't that interesting, I will file that info away for when it can used for our own advantage. And in a whisper, barely loud enough for even most of those around her to hear, she says "Beware the scorpion's sting..." and gives wink to Scorpion.

While unable to properly wink, Scorpion does give Gatherer of Clouds a sly smile at the comment.

"I brought my weapons with me," Mountain Shadow said in a matter-of-fact tone and displayed his open palms. "I learned long ago to rely up my own two hands for much of the work I do. You want to call it brawling, you can." He notes as he clenches his fists casually in a slight display of his physique.

"I just view it as the means by which I've learned to kill or take down a target when I have to. I'm a thief and assassin by trade. My days as a gladiator are past me. I just enjoy the doubt others cast upon me when they take in my appearance. I know I don't look the type for the work I'm capable of. Save for the brawling portion."

“I like it,” Amethyst says. “Any advantage you can have over an opponent os okay in my book.”

An old woman carrying a tray puts a mug of sake down in front of each of you, then heads back upstairs. Amethyst nods to the woman as she leaves.

“To the start of a new world,” the Sidereal says raising her mug. She sips with alcohol with the delicateness of a Realm courtier and then sets it back down. She reaches behind her chair and pulls out a large roll of parchment.

“Now, to the matter at hand.” Amethyst Depths rolls out a massive map onto the table. The title says “Sinju”. You can make out the layout of a small village. Houses—likely shacks—form a loose circular cluster around a well. At the center is a larger structure labeled: “Immaculate temple”.

“I assume you all know who the Mask of Winters is. If you don’t, see me after class.” Amethyst’s give you all a wry smile. “Everyone is waiting for him to make another move. They’re all holding their breath for the boogie man to jump out again. The thing is, he’s already making his moves. For whatever reason, they’re very subtle. Not many have taken notice. That’s the part that I can’t put together, yet. And neither can the Cult.

“In the last month or so, there have been a few similar reports of attacks in no-name villages throughout the Scavenger Lands. These particular reports are of raids by ghost, zombies, or other undead. All are within a day’s—or night’s—ride of Thorns, of course. We need to figure out what these raids are for since each attack has been against what looks to me as random targets. All of the villages and towns attacked have that in common. They’re nothing. Farmers and drunks. Barely making a living.

“Now, you all have been assigned to this area with me to begin combating the Mask of Winters. We’re not the only assets the Cult has employed against him, but we aim to gain as much information as we can. This,” Amethyst gestures to the map, “is a nothing village. It’s called Sinju. Farmers and drunks. I have it on good authority—namely me—that in a few weeks, this little no-place will be the target of one of these raids. I want you to be there and I want you to stop it. I also want you to get as much information out of whatever is doing the attacking as possible.

“Any questions so far?” Amethyst pauses and waits for you to respond.

What do you say?

Gatherer of Clouds picks up her mug of sake, and, unfamiliar with the drink, tries to drink most of it in one gulp, when she suddenly spills most of it, and starts coughing, not used to this strange drink, and in fact, not much used to any alcoholic drinks.

It takes a few moments for her to compose herself, and look imperious, seemingly dismissing the incident, though she gives look to anyone as if saying I dare you to bring this up. "I remember who Mask of Winters is, but I am not sure I will have much to contribute to a fight against whatever it is that attacks these villages. But do tell, is there any significance to this?" And she points at the Immaculate temple marked on the map with a very clear distaste. I know I can be of most use in a court somewhere, and not stuck in a nowhere village, without even a normal social life. Seems like the Cult and this handler of ours are not about making the most use of their Assets, namely me.

Scorpion asks, "Are there any survivors from some of the other villages that can be questioned to see if there is a common theme to the locations that have been attacked? Are the walking dead searching for something, perhaps? Or seeming to be looking for someone?"

Tomiko idly chews on her fingernail as she listens to Amethyst describe what it is that they are up against. She finally pipes up, "I know that I am able to attack a ghost or other kind of spirit; is there anyone else amongst us that can also do so?" She thinks about some of the other questions that are coming to mind. "Scorpion poses a good question, though. Why are these little towns being hit? What could be the motivation for doing so? Also, is there any word on just how large of a fighting force we may be faced with?"

Amethyst holds up a finger to pause the conversation a moment. “Gatherer of Clouds. I know what you’re thinking. ‘Where do I fit in all this?’ Trust me. Even in this first task, you will have an important role to play. Just listen and wait.” She turns back to address you all.

“A small number of villages have had Immaculate Temples in them. I’m willing to bet it’s coincidental, though I’m not willing to rule anything out at this point. As with most in the Threshold, this one doesn’t pose a real threat. This one is for devotions. There aren’t any Dragon-Blooded in town.

“A few of the villages have had survivors, yes. But as far as I know, no one has investigated closely enough, or really at all, to know what their story is. The same goes for visiting each village or town. I doubt anyone has really stepped foot there to investigate. I have only read the high-level reports of each. They were all similar enough to link together in my mind. It stands yet to be determined what the goal of these attacks are. That’s what we want to find out. I’m worried if there’s something the Mask of Winters is using these attacks for that we’re already too late. But, at the very least, this is a good starting point for our campaign against him.

“As for tactical information, it’s more of the same, I’m afraid. These undead stand outside of Fate, so my sources are limited at best. From what I can piece together, these attacks are conducted by a small contingent of ghosts or zombies. Definitely not army-sized. I think the four of you together should have no problem.” Amethyst takes another sip of sake. She stares at the map of Sinju for a time, then nods.

“My thought,” she continues, “was to be at the next attack as the best source of information. The quickest, too. Do you disagree?”

Mountain Shadow just listened and considered it all. He wasn't sure what to make of all this. Then again he thought the Cult was a bit mad in and of itself, but it had offered some insights into his power, but they had an agenda all their own. He wasn't sure it was very much his, but he'd played along to find out things and this was something new. He didn't like to deal with the dead, considering his general field of work. He made people dead, he could probably hurt a walking corpse, but a spirit would be a bigger concern. He just sips his sake some and looks at the map before finally speaking.

"Why does this village stand out as the next attack point?"

Amethyst looks to you, Mountain. “My nature as a Sidereal has allowed me to use Heaven’s resources. I’ve looked into the future of the area and estimated when the attack should occur. And where. My calculations should be correct. Sinju should be next.” She looks between you all. “And if you’re all ready, we can begin planning our ambush.”

I see a couple of options here. Two of them I’ll point out, but these are just two possibilities. If you’d like to do something else, let’s hear it. Right now, you can:
  1. Trust Amethyst and work build an “ambush”. My plan is to have you layout general positions/roles during the ambush and have you guys make a intelligence + war roll to see how well the planning/execution goes.
  2. Tell Amethyst that there isn’t enough information and investigate the other villages and reports. In this case, I can see making an intelligence + investigation roll to see what you find out and how much over the course of a wide investigation.
What are you thoughts?

Last edited:
Tomiko leans over the map of the small town with curiosity in her eyes. "How accurate is this map? Hmmm. It would be best to try and find a better place to ambush the attackers than inside the community if possible. No sense in risking the lives of the residents, is there? If we can find a choke point where the attackers will have to travel, we can hit them and be able to go full out in our fight. Perhaps we can even rig up some nasty surprises for them."

Gatherer of Clouds almost groans at Tomiko's idea. It's not a bad idea, but the thought of spending time in the wilderness is even more troubling to her than spending it in some remote village. "Wouldn't it be better to try and find some of the survivors and get more information, before we face an enemy we know nothing about?"

1 auto suxx from Willpower, so 3 suxxes total

Scorpion has some knowledge of how to lay an ambush from her time as a mercenary, so as she examines the map, she muses, "Well, the ambush outside of town might work, but what if there is a multi-pronged attack on the villagers? They wouldn't stand a chance. I suggest we get there, gather up the villagers in one place in order to be able to guard them, ring the building with salt, and stand ready for a night attack. Doing that will give us the best chance to come out of this with the most survivors."
I'll toss in a WP for a Valor roll, too. This gives me three successes.

Well, I have some egg on my face. I forgot that there is no Virtues in 3e, so I just have a single success from my Willpower spent. Same number of successes, though.

Mountain Shadows nods some at that. "I would sooner strike outside the village, but the idea of more the one prong to the attack worries me. We can only be in one place at a time. We also don't know what if any wicked magics the enemy may have at work. They already can gather the dead to do this deed."

Whoops! Sorry. I was thinking we’d choose one of the two options and go from there to deciding and then rolling. This will work, though. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I’m going to keep the successes already rolled totaled for the plan. Tomiko and Clouds, you can roll intelligence + war if you have it or just straight intelligence and I’ll add it to the success total.

Amethyst nods. “All are sound points. My original idea was to either pull the townsfolk out of town or at least gather them separate from where the battle will occur.” She turns to you, Tomiko. “Tomiko, the map is accurate. The terrain is in the correct proportional location. If your keen mind sees something important, call it out.”

Amethyst eyes each of you in turn. “It seems we are of the same mind on the ambush, but have a split opinion on how. Do you wish to move forward with the battle inside the town or further out to minimize damage?”

Tomiko's Intelligence Roll.

EDIT A total of five successes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back