• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rubies of Eventide OOC Thread (D&D 5e)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
They are making my night, that is for certain! =P I will head to bed for now. Till next time, all.

Caltrops and ball bearings are a lot of fun, and it is overall rather hilarious to see an entire room covered in caltrops and ball bearings, scarier still if you Thunderwave them out of the way. My L1 wizard Swats-at-Light-a-Lot did this on a 3x3 room with traps. Everything went into the wall.

Magical light armour is tough to bite the bullet on because why buy that when you can justify going in full-plate for relatively the same cost. I think a +1 rapier and a +1 Cloak are good. Cloaks, sad to say, are considered rare items, so that would break the scheme of magical item donations. If you can trade that out with something else or devote to it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bugbears and their long arms can be pretty terrifying for assassin types. "I stab you! You are in the presence of my allies." "But you are 10 feet away!" *sheathes dagger in fleshy scabbard*. Terrifying. As for plot, I can see if I can find a rare weapon out there that is perfect for a heist. =P

I even got some Pocket Sand for emergencies! Can't ever forget how useful some of those little items can be!

It really was a tough choice. But with cloaks being rare, and not much armor worth really devoting into, I think that I will definitely invest in a rare magic weapon instead.

I think it could be pretty fun. A swashbuckler with a magic cutlass or holy rapier. Swishing and swashing all the buckles. So long as it is something I can use, I wouldn't mind seeing what you would suggest. Maybe something we can discuss as we take it to PM.

I believe I have finished all the mechanical stuff except for backstory.

An Efficient Quiver is a pretty cool pocket-space item much like the bag of holding. I would probably say that it is 500 gp similarly, though you can be an organ gun if you and everyone else is an archer-caster. Even then, I allow it. It is always hilarious to see greatswords stuffed in quivers.

This is a bit of a city-crawling game with wide expanses of travel, and if similar to the first game it will have some dungeon encounters as well for both side quests and main quest. A warhorse would be beneficial, or even Find Steed because you do not need to maintain it. The distance matter you might be fine with, as you can all travel in the wagon with Shade's merchant and move double-quick.
Organ gun? Does that mine there are firearms and cannons in this campaign?

I'm having difficulty coming up with my characters backstory. The background of my character is that they are a Guild Merchant. They travel around to make a profit. They sometimes enter dungeons to see if there is anything for them to take and sell. If it's beatable then they clear it and take all that they can, if not then they take what they can and run the other way. No point in amassing wealth if you're dead.

Nice, Felis! Looks good in terms of inventory -- both are uncommon in my eyes, and I agree with the rating -- with the exception that you have a bit more spending money than contemplated, 1000 gp additional, in fact, as a bonus! Owlfolk, in my opinion, are about as long-lived as Aarakocra (30 years max) , maybe a little longer (40 years max). In the end it chiefly is for flavour. As for starting your backstory, no worries! Take the time you need and it will be fine.
Oh! I was under the impression that we choose only one of the bullet points (gold or the magic items), my bad! Thanks for letting me know, I'll probably do some more shopping with that! And also thank you for your patience!

I even got some Pocket Sand for emergencies! Can't ever forget how useful some of those little items can be!

It really was a tough choice. But with cloaks being rare, and not much armor worth really devoting into, I think that I will definitely invest in a rare magic weapon instead.

I think it could be pretty fun. A swashbuckler with a magic cutlass or holy rapier. Swishing and swashing all the buckles. So long as it is something I can use, I wouldn't mind seeing what you would suggest. Maybe something we can discuss as we take it to PM.

I believe I have finished all the mechanical stuff except for backstory.

Organ gun? Does that mine there are firearms and cannons in this campaign?

*muses*, a rare magic weapon, and one with finesse . . . I daresay a Sun Blade will be up your alley. Flavour it as a rapier hilt and the blade itself is magical energy with no steel in it. These things are menacing because they provide radiant damage, and that blends well with sneak attack because that too is radiant damage. I know just the souls from which to collect something of the sort, too, which can cause an interesting stir of communication within the party. Also, POCKET SAND!

I will check on the mechanical stuff and see how it looks. I am sure it looks good, though. I am looking forward to the backstory!

I'm having difficulty coming up with my characters backstory. The background of my character is that they are a Guild Merchant. They travel around to make a profit. They sometimes enter dungeons to see if there is anything for them to take and sell. If it's beatable then they clear it and take all that they can, if not then they take what they can and run the other way. No point in amassing wealth if you're dead.

Oh no. Oh no. You are one of those mule team sweepers that clean out everything, even furniture, aren't you? =P I guess I have to quantify how much everything costs in the dungeons then.

Oh! I was under the impression that we choose only one of the bullet points (gold or the magic items), my bad! Thanks for letting me know, I'll probably do some more shopping with that! And also thank you for your patience!

You are welcome! Sorry for any confusion caused by the character sheet info. I will see if I can word that and other areas better to create less pitfalls.

The Steel Sisters sound like they can definitely be there. Are you still considered one of their ranking people? I don't think they would have left without you willingly except in possible circumstances. My thoughts led me to the potential case that you were put on military leave, and then, bored and listless, you joined a ragtag group of adventurers while you were left to rest and recuperate. Let me know what you think about this. In the end what is in the background doesn't matter too much because it can change in-game, but I like to offer possibilities nonetheless.
Yeah, the idea of being put on military leave does work for me. I really just want a way of explaining how Jalana can go around adventuring with everyone else.

With regards to equipment, I'm going to swap out my two martial weapons for a greatsword and a maul, just to make sure I get the bonus from my Great Weapon Master Feat. Also, if Sherwood's allowed to spend gold prior to the campaign start, you mind if I sell the chainmail I start with and buy a warhorse?

Yeah, the idea of being put on military leave does work for me. I really just want a way of explaining how Jalana can go around adventuring with everyone else.

With regards to equipment, I'm going to swap out my two martial weapons for a greatsword and a maul, just to make sure I get the bonus from my Great Weapon Master Feat. Also, if Sherwood's allowed to spend gold prior to the campaign start, you mind if I sell the chainmail I start with and buy a warhorse?

Yep! You are allowed this. I figure that the first levels were your character slowly getting stronger and finding out their place in life. How you spend the money is well within your grasp.

I have made some slight updates to the character sheet thread to reword things a little better and showcase additional rarities. Let me know if I can help further.

Looking over the initial character stuff, I realized that I forgot to add the potion that we start out with. How many hit points does a Potion of Superior Healing restore?

It restores 8d4+8 hit points, a very powerful consumable to chug when you need it. The market value of it is costly, so it is a good choice to have for a high-HP individual.

Oh, Jay answered first. Nice. =)

*muses*, a rare magic weapon, and one with finesse . . . I daresay a Sun Blade will be up your alley. Flavour it as a rapier hilt and the blade itself is magical energy with no steel in it. These things are menacing because they provide radiant damage, and that blends well with sneak attack because that too is radiant damage. I know just the souls from which to collect something of the sort, too, which can cause an interesting stir of communication within the party. Also, POCKET SAND!

I will check on the mechanical stuff and see how it looks. I am sure it looks good, though. I am looking forward to the backstory!

The sun blade! I was looking at that the other day actually. Thats like a really good weapon, comparing it to many of the other rare weapons.

Not only does it have a +2 to accuracy and damage, it deals radiant damage and another 1d8 radiant damage on top that. Plus letting out sunlight. Lightwave! Could be horrifyingly potent, especially if undead are very prominent in the campaign.

Essentially a lightsaber! It could hiding while it is active a bit difficult though.

Still! It would certainly be a very strange thing for a gnoll to have. A holy weapon in the hands of a creature often associated with abyssals.

If you ever confront drow or kobolds, the Sun Blade can be very potent due to sunlight sensitivity. I have used a Sun Blade twice, one with my minotaur and one with my kobold gladiator Fighter/Rogue/Barbarian with the thousand nets. I recommend it to anyone, even non-martials.

A friend and fellow player made this. It contains my lovely Deadlift, said minotaur.

If you ever confront drow or kobolds, the Sun Blade can be very potent due to sunlight sensitivity. I have used a Sun Blade twice, one with my minotaur and one with my kobold gladiator Fighter/Rogue/Barbarian with the thousand nets. I recommend it to anyone, even non-martials.

A friend and fellow player made this. It contains my lovely Deadlift, said minotaur.

It looks like it will be pretty fun to use!

Would you like me to start us a PM so we can begin discussing background stuff?

Sure! That would be greatly appreciated. I have been rather bifurcated as of late by things and it is hard to recall who needs what without immediately tackling it.

I can easily adjust my idea so that they do raid dungeons for treasures but can also just be looking for inspiration as most of what they find would probably be ruined beyond selling. So I could have it so that they go in, see a ruined table, takes it with them, studies it for a bit to learn how it was built, make notes, get rid of the ruined one as it has no value anymore and use tools to try and imitate what they have seen.

I can easily adjust my idea so that they do raid dungeons for treasures but can also just be looking for inspiration as most of what they find would probably be ruined beyond selling. So I could have it so that they go in, see a ruined table, takes it with them, studies it for a bit to learn how it was built, make notes, get rid of the ruined one as it has no value anymore and use tools to try and imitate what they have seen.

That sounds like reverse engineering at its finest, honestly. I could see this as being a nice way to make a craft out of burglary or repurposing. Either way it should be fine; I will probably just call it a random number and give you that much if you decided that as a group you would clear out any and every dungeon with a mule team. I really like the idea you just provided, though, Shade.

OK, I've added my characters PDF. Just need to come up with a backstory and do any adjustments needed as requested by Thanny.

I am looking at the skill monkey potential here and shaking my head in a constant "no . . . no . . . oh no" fashion. As a DM I am dreading this person making checks. At the very least I can grapple you for the moment! That'll be a possibility. Honestly I have never seen anyone buy as much cinnamon as you in-game, but it is exotic and desirable, perfect for selling to merchants who have taken root in shops. I approve of these changes!

I will reach out to each of you pertaining to possible story beats and, if you like, backstory ideas. I am a little crunched for time, but will try to orchestrate this efficiently and effectively. =)

You are welcome! Sorry for any confusion caused by the character sheet info. I will see if I can word that and other areas better to create less pitfalls.
No problem and thanks for the effort!
On the topic of using the starting gold - how much would uncommon potions/1st-level spell scrolls be? 250gp?

And I'll try to note down a backstory skeleton tonight!

Edit: Yay, I did get around to writing a few paragraphs of said backstory outline! I included a draft of what I was planning to spend the starting gold on below my main CS.

Last edited:
I would say that uncommon potions would be around 100 gp, exceptibg potions of poison which can be 10-50 gp (assume 10 gp unless otherwise mentioned in a store). 1st level spell scrolls are roughly 100 gp (scrolls of identify cost 100 gp), 2nd level spell scrolls are 300 gp, and 3rd level spell scrolls are 600 gp unless discounted. Scribes who create scrolls can be very beneficial, though the higher the level the harder is is and the longer it takes to craft. Ugh. Crafting. My least favourite thing in 5e. It used to be so much better.

Sounds good! I look forward to it. =)

Any thoughts on our starting date? I'm anxious to get my paladin on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back