Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: May 2018

[div class=container][div class=header][div class=tri][/div][/div][div class=headertxt]May 2018 Newsletter[/div][div class=ofthemonth][div class=headerf]House Keeping Annoumcements[/div]

May's Supporter Badge
alterasmay2018.png
Many thanks to @Alteras!​
  • Many members may have already noticed badges are back! @Kaerri is slowly working through our expansive list of members to get their badges back. This is a slow and manual process and will take quite some time. An official announcement regarding this will be posted later.

[div class=divider][/div]
[div class=avatar]
41181.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Member of the Month
Tardy Grade Tardy Grade [/div]
When did you start roleplaying? What were your early experiences like?
Big drama geek that I was, I found myself gravitating towards writing my own scenes and editing our scripts from time to time. Probably around 13 at this point and growing older by the day.

Later at age 17, I began RPing with a less 'erratic' frequency as a result of ideas that I never got around to having acted out. Late to the party as it would turn out and thus living upto my current chosen name. I missed out on the 'highschool RP' bandwagon which I count as one of the few positives of the delayed undertaking.

Initial forays into RPing proved to be an aromatic blend of 'writing fiction', 'trying out ideas' and 'brainstorming with peers'. Very robust. Kept me up late many a night. Addictive in odd ways until I found a good balance and made it something that I could enjoy in moderation.

How did you discover RpNation?
Through the demise of a comic book site that shut down because of 'reasons'. Involving plunder most foul. A rag-tagged-and-released group of leftovers headed to Discord to continue our daily convos at this point. In doing so a friend of mine by the moniker, 'Archie', happened to bring up RPing at which point we got into sharing a few our experiences with regards to it. A while later she mentioned that she'd been looking for English RP sites with friendly communities to practice her writing as a non-native English speaker. Sharing her findings that included RPNation. Not satisfied with only having it shared in passing, convinced me to give it a little looksie.

But ultimately she decided to stick with her old French RP site/forums as she didn't find her sought after 'niche'. So while she was already in the parking lot starting the car, I was still looking at the magazine stand trying to see if Harry had met Sally yet. Thus after a month of lurking, I decided to just let the inevitable happen. Posted an intro and let the wordsmithery commence.

What features would be in your ideal roleplay? Do you have a favourite genre?
That's a tough one ... mostly because my eyes tend to dart sporadically when it comes to RPs. Latching onto interesting ideas offered by 'N' number of users every day. Thus while I might not be inclined to join them because I know my feeble 'hooman' limits would not permit me to juggle them all... but I find myself drawn to them nonetheless.

As of this month/year, I'd say Bio-Punk would be a taste I'd seek out. More sci-fi than fantasy. Though if I had an RP-passport it'd show a clear dual-citizenship status. Big lover of dystopian or pre/post/present-apocalyptic settings. Though it'll need to have a few unique elements to keep it funky-fresh.

How do you select the names of your characters?
I'm a firm believer in imagining the biggest, brickiest wall possible and then throwing alphabet soup at it until something sticks. When that ultimately fails though ... I go through the RP details. Story setting? Working of the world? Char's background and circumstances?

Good first names can suggest some primary value, core essence, or narrative function of a character. Generally, I use 'family' names as tools to further shell-out the character. Perhaps it's a badge of honour or a brand of shame? Standing out among his companions and making him exotic or fit right in?

It's useful to keep in mind that a name in use does not need to be one they're 'born' with. It can be self-chosen at some point in their life adding another dynamic. This would also give you/readers some insight into the thinking of the character at that phase in their life. While still being less contested by readers.

Aside from that though I try to avoid Stan Lee naming. 'Peter Parker', 'Sue/Susan Storm', 'Reed Richards', etc. It just feels ... dirty? *Shivers visibly*

What do you do when you get writer's block?
Mostly I just whine about it in front of a jury of my peers.

It helps to be able to express myself when the issue arises. Even if it doesn't directly contribute to resolving it. Especially among fellow RPers who have faced the same issue just as often as you have. I might reread/watch some old shows. Scroll back to past works I've done or even just, god forbid, head outside for a bit and clear out my head.

The irony of having a mental boulder prevent the fountain ink of ideas from spurting onto paper is not lost on me. >_>

What is the most hilarious scene you've ever written for a roleplay?
Hmmm ... this is a tough one because I'm generally finding my characters stuck in serious circumstances. Though I can recall one particular moment that was funny for 'me'. During this RP that I was heading, I had my chars suffering what could be construed as auditory hallucinations. I had them all informed through PMs what their character could hear so that they could write their responses. The exception to the situation was one character immune to the situation our 'heroes' found themselves in. So there she was ... surrounded by a manic group while she strolled through unperturbed. What can I say? I'm easily amused.

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
I am a devourer of content I find interesting. Written, drawn, made audible or conveyed through physical movements. If I'm not RPing in my downtime then I'm likely doing something that will give me ideas that I will likely never get to RP because of my slothful-trash panda nature. Intent without action is often my lazy-curse. Don't be like me in this regard.

When I'm not giving my best impression of a rock gathering moss, I enjoy diving to the bottom of the pool and staring at the water-air surface ... while gathering moss? Moss is pretty great, people. Gotta catch em all.

Are there any books or authors that have been influential to you?
'Calvin and Hobbes'. So much wisdom stuffed for your bedtime enjoyment.
'Worm' as a web-serial novel. So vividly described and a definite page-turner.
'Berserk' as a manga. A bit graphic so bare that in mind.
'Invincible' as a comic. I could keep on adding to this list but I'm trying to keep the word count from costing me this accolade. Heh.

Is there a book/show/movie that you’ve been excited about recently?
Incredibles 2. For sure. The wait is starting to get to me. My hunger grows daily. Send help in the form of multiple non-plot-revealing trailers~

Got any RpNation projects? Tell us about them!
Nothing active on my end currently though I could point out a few that could tickle some fancies since I've got the mic atm.

Stonewolf, Be and Lyro would be some users whose recent RPs/interest checks I can vouch for having read into read into them to some degree. A good premise, lots of love with the world-building and just a hint of intrigue. What more can one ask for? (Assuming you have finite wishes...)

Is there any wisdom you’d like to impart to the readers of the newsletter?
It's okay to mess up. Fiction or non-fictitious errors are bound to occur. We can't succeed in avoiding or preventing them all. Even Swiper has his day. No matter how many times we tell him not to do that thing he does. Dang fox...

Ahem ... when it does happen though it's not the end of the world. Try to picture yourself a year ahead of whatever issue you find yourself facing right now. Imagine how that 'you' would look upon your predicament. Not helping? Go for 5 years. Still no dice? Make it a nice even decade. Point being that time will trivialise most of the things you find stifling you.

Having made plenty of boo-boos up till now I'm fairly confident in my findings. *Resettles glasses on the bridge of his nose*

So long as you learn from those mess ups you've not come away with a total loss.
[div class=avatar]
48123.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Roleplay of the Month
TrashRabbit TrashRabbit [/div]
Give everyone a quick summary about what your roleplay is about.
Crystal Oz is a high stakes cat and mouse cyber noir with light dice work and heavy themes of corporate intrigue in a world inspired by Wizard of Oz archetypes and allusions. The themes, character types, and world are only loosely inspired by the book/movie in the same sense that some RPs will feature an underlying tarot card or Greek mythology theme. Players are investigating the murder of a CEO and locating the powerful project known as the [Ruby Slippers] while avoiding the authorities. This competitive rp will be won by the first player character to obtain and use the [Ruby Rlippers]. The core of Crystal oz is a light narrative dice mechanic that allows for fair play in discovering clues and combat.

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
Crystal Oz is an old idea that I have come back to several times. The original spark was that I wanted to make character roles based on the Wizard of Oz the same way that was popular several years ago with tarot cards. The Major sources I drew from were Bioshock, MadMax, blade runner, Fifth element and Neoramancer by William Gibson. I'm a big 80's cyber punk fan and pulled liberally for this setting's aesthetic.

What was your biggest struggle in creating your roleplay and how did you overcome it?
Honestly the hardest part was writing the light dice engine clearly and concisely enough for free form forum rpers to not only pick up quickly but feel comfortable with. I over came that by relentlessly editing for clarity and playtesting. This is the second time I've run Oz with a dice mechanic and is my fifth or sixth draft of the engine. The basis of this dice system is the powered by the apocalypse engine and while I've made a lot of changes to adapt it to forum rping, I still consider the engine a PBTA hack. There's a lot of world building in this rp but that was the fun part, the easy part even. I've been working on this narrative dice system for a couple years and it's still something I'm working at.

What do you believe are your strengths as a GM?
My strength is that I GM people first, story second. This usually ends up fostering amazing stories the whole group cares about. Gming to me is always about fostering community, supporting fellow writers and nurturing new friendships. I Gm with a very important rule; Rping is for fun. Just about any drama or unhappiness is initially brought about because some one isn't having fun. Full stop. And if I can make sure my players feel comfortable to pipe up and say “I'm not having fun!” before they quit or disappear nine times out of ten the game can be adjusted. In order for the rp to be fun the Gm must be fair, kind and willing to lean into the unexpected. I don't know how well I live up to these things but they're what I think makes a good GM.

How about weaknesses?
I really play by the seat of my pants. Sometimes the minutia slips through my fingers and my players ask me questions I don't remember the answer and I have to go careening around back reading my notes and the posts to put on the illusion that I have control of the narrative. Prep is something I struggle with and in the end I'm honestly just tricking the players into telling the story to each other. My Scifi also tends to be incredibly soft which some people object to and/or expect better of. I often don't put enough information into my initial world building write ups, because I don't want to overwhelm new players. But this results in my having to go in and do a second write up. This has happened recently in Crystal Oz and other rps, and I currently owe my players a write up about the semi magical Cryfi that acts as City's computer system.

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
Uuuuuuh. Honestly if you look closely, just about every interest check and ooc connected to any of my rps were posted by my super great Co-mod Wickedlittlecritta. Getting others excited for my rps isn't something I'm great at. My hope when I am write up an Rp is that the intro will speak for itself! Crystal Oz is one of the few rps I've Gmed in a while that was not filled entirely with old friends so it's very exciting!

How did you come about roleplaying?
I have been rping for thirteen years and such ancient history has been lost to the bowels of high school, dial up internet and the machinations of Gaia online. Let us speak no more of this.

How did you discover RpNation?
My good pal Theunderwolf told me about it about a year ago. I was in between forum sites and it was nice to find a thriving community!

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in?
I was once in a legend of Zelda rp that ran for years, completed multiple arcs and was populated entirely by original characters. The thing about it that was singular wasn't the concept but the plot. Each sequel was basically formatted to be its own game with dungeons and mini bosses and a final big bad. We didn't use any dice and it just kept going, there was always something to do, dungeons to solve, a big bad to get. The Gm was prolific and the group was pretty big. I don't think I could handle a setting like that, especially with a cannon setting where many people have many different headcanons that need to be accommodated.

What stood out most?
The People. That group brought so much energy and so much of themselves to their writing and their characters. We weren't afraid to be vulnerable and many of us are life long friends.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
Reveals, for sure. There's been a lot of memorable ones but the time I played dark link disguised as Link sticks out. The cannon character had been played previously by a different mod and no one suspected it despite my attempts at heavy handed hint dropping for maybe 100 pages of lit rping. It was years. And the day I revealed it will live in my heart forever. I've never received so much key smashing in one OoC.

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
Write to delight your fellow players. Every post is a gift from you to them. And vice versus. It's not a contest! Don't worry about being good or bad. In theater an actors jobs is to make their fellows look as good as possible and the same applies to rping and tabletop games.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? If so, what are they?
The dreaded conversation inside a conversation phenomenon that happens in lit rps. The dialogue becomes unnatural and characters are having multiple conversation concurrently or replying to things that were said far previously. I'm a big proponent to short call and response posts for dialog. Even if the posts are short and take up room in the thread I think it makes for a better reading and story experience.

What is your favorite mythical creature?
Harpies. They scream.

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
I have another rp using the same engine tweaked for a slice of life fantasy rp in the works. It's posted on rpn and it's called Rabbit House, a limbo place for travelers journeying both physically and emotionally. I've been procrastinating putting up an interest check, other wise it is ready to go!
[/div]

[div class=featheader]More Features[/div]
[div class=containeroddbox][div class=oddbox][div class=smavatar]
30903.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured BBCode
Uxie Uxie [/div]
Uxie's codes features creative designs, one which replicates a user's profile here on RpNation as well as other designs that have social media influence. They even go as far as to put a tutorial in their thread upon the request of another user to help explain how they coded things.[/div][div class=oddbox][div class=smavatar]
35109.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Advice
@e d e n[/div]
If you find it difficult to write longer, more detailed posts, or perhaps wish to read some advice on the subject, you should take a look at @e d e n's 'a guide to detailed writing'.

The advice offered goes over basic writing concepts such as vocabulary, purple prose, inner monologues, and more. While we know there isn't just one way to improve your writing or increase detail, this guide is highly suggested.[/div][div class=oddbox][div class=smavatar]
56983.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Artist
ebb ebb [/div]
ebb ebb is yet another wonderful artist here on RpNation. You can view their wonderful works in their thread ✕| ebb's art cafe |✕. While they are currently not accepting requests at this time, you should take a look and watch the thread and enjoy their artwork.[/div][/div][/div]
[class=container] width:100%; min-height:400px; [/class] [class=header] width:100%; height:300px; background: radial-gradient(ellipse at 50% 100%, rgba(200,241,247,1) 0%,rgba(45,149,188,1) 66%,rgba(18,74,125,1) 100%); display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; [/class] [class=tri] width: 0; height: 0; border-style: solid; border-width: 0 100px 100px 100px; border-color: transparent transparent #313131 transparent; align-self: flex-end; [/class] [class=headertxt] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:50px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=ofthemonth] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=avatar] width:96px; height:96px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class=featheader] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=features] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=smavatar] width:48px; height:48px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=sminfo] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:20px; [/class] [class=headerf] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=divider] width:100%; border-bottom:3px solid #313131; margin-top:10px; [/class] [class=containeroddbox] display: flex; flex-direction: row; align-items: flex-start; flex-wrap: wrap [/class] [class=oddbox] flex: 1 1 300px; text-align:justify; box-sizing:border-box; padding:10px; [/class]

I find reading RPNation's newsletters to consistently be a good way to pass the time. I always learn a little something and find something amusing in each of them.

Thank you, Staff and participants! Please keep up the good work! =)

Honor and fun,
Dannigan =)

Congrats, everyone! :3

TrashRabbit TrashRabbit Props to you for being the chillest, raddest DM I know. <3

Tardy Grade Tardy Grade You seem like a cool player to have in a game. I;m right with you on new takes of dystopia/post-apoc (although I confess I do adore MadMax tire armor desert romps too). Slothful-trash pandas represent! ;3

Uxie Uxie Thank you so much for making RPN (and Twitter!) more friendly to those of us who are less code-savvy that we'd like to be. :3 A+++

ebb ebb Checked out your thread and WOW, your art is stunning! Thanks for sharing it with us! :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back