Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: June 2022

ONE24wv.jpg

COSPLAY

Through cosplay, one can expect to find blossoming friendships, bouts of confidence, and everlasting memories. More importantly, it brings the satisfaction of impersonating a different persona, even if only for a brief moment. Let's face it—we've all had moments in our lifetime where we idolized a character to the point where we wanted to be them. By achieving such a desire, we would temporarily be freed from the reins of reality, a society where strict social norms and expectations are placed upon us.

Cosplay serves as a form of safe haven, where these expectations are removed in the world of fiction, where one can assume whichever personality they wish to portray, especially the character they dress as. In doing so, they may form a sense of self within these characters. Perhaps it is due to a shared experience or interests they have with the character, or they represent themselves culturally, ethnically, or through other social means. How do you personally relate to the characters you are fond of?
Site Announcements
Official RpNation Merchandise
We heard you! Our merchandise store offers t-shirts perfect for all weather! There are multiple styles to choose from. Shop now! and check all we have in store!
Helper Application Form
RpNation's Helper team is looking for more dedicated people to aid with the creation of site events and the newsletter. Apply today!
Badges Resolution Change
The resolution of the badges have been increased to upgrade its overall quality.
Member of the Month
When did you start roleplaying, and what made you stick to it?
"Officially," I started roleplaying back in 2015 via various video games. Although the origins can be traced back to some of my early attempts at lorewriting back in highschool. Usually accompanied by hand-drawn illustrations, traditional arts mostly (including stickmen, yes). In late 2017, I finally decided to join RPNation to learn more about forum-based writing communities. Aside from serving as my only form of escape from my mundane albeit chaotic life, I've had the privilege of writing with some of the most talented and dedicated writers on site. Which, many continues to inspire me to keep writing even when they have moved on or are no longer here. But ultimately, I believe that everybody wants to be a hero of their own story. What better way to materialize such an ambition, than to write with others online? Most of the time, it is a pleasure of mine to contribute to another's story. But in recent times, it does not seems too bad an endeavor to run my own roleplays..
What are some of your most memorable roleplaying experience(s)?
My most memorable experiences revolve around some of the most talented Game Masters that I have had the opportunity of writing with, especially with the way they incorporated BBCodes to further bring about life to their written projects. Astra Veda, a project created by Lexielai back in 2017-18, was one of the most beautiful RP I've ever joined. Gorgeous, interactive codes with a great cast of well-written characters - all a part of something greater. With so much effort put forth, one would think that they were playing a video game. Such stunning visuals and creative talents have been engraved in my heart ever since.

Another was Being Human (2018-2019) by Avari - the first time I was exposed to an elite circle of advanced writers. I won't lie, I struggled a lot when I was paired with one of the most outstanding writers on RPNation. But thanks to them and our countless collaborated posts, I was able to learn more about the intricacies of dialogue etiquettes. It also made me realized that playing a 100-years old vampire nurse in modern London full of heroes and demons from another world is actually more interesting than it sounds./border]
What type of character(s) do you lean towards creating? Any preferences?
I usually try to avoid using my characters as self-inserted persona of my real-life counterpart, but it often happens as I split them into two distinct personas - dependent on the concurrent story's directions. As such, many will see several redundant templates of either a stoic blue-minded archetypes that follows the old motto "ab ordine libertas" (from order comes freedom) or a naive adventurer with a receptive heart to learn through any means necessary. Though, with those two distinctive personalities set, the main inspiration for my characters often lean on their abilities to interact with others. Aside from the archetypes, I believe first and foremost in unit cohesion, and often prefer to arm myself with a character that is versatile enough to connect and work with others when writing.
What are your favorite types of roleplay, and what makes you want to join one?
My favorite types of roleplays are the ones that covers a variety of topics and have room for players to forge their own ideas to incorporate into the world. While methods differ from one creator to another, they must all remain versatile enough for the players to have some creative liberties with their work. The one thing I usually look for when choosing a roleplay is the author's ability to keep in touch with their players. I am quite nitpicky when it comes to joining a roleplay, and my appetite for interest checks fluctuates regularly. As such, there are many elements that dictate my consideration for committing to a roleplay. The most important ones are: comprehensibility, objective, and marketing. The last one pertains to how well the author tries to sell their interest checks. Which I believe is one of the few essential gauge as to how passionate they are about their work. BBCodes are great and all, but they are only as good as how well they convey the author's ideas. With that said, I'm actually quite a simple soul - I see anime tags, I click.
Do you have a favorite genre or setting that you typically frequent? Any fandoms you are interested in roleplaying?
While I have a peculiar taste for period-piece type of settings, I am actually quite malleable with most settings or genres. I usually aim for period-pieces or high-fantasy to practice my dialogues. Specifically the fancy language you typically hear in shows like Outlander or those medieval movies one often watch for the action but falls in love with the dialogues instead. While I tolerate strong languages employed in writing to display strong, rough sentiments and personas, I believe excessive profanity to be a detrimental factor when crafting a character. Call me old-fashioned, but seeing a well-mannered and thought-provoking, verbal exchange of ideas is a feat most elegant and memorable when writing dialogues - which is exactly what I wish to see when writing with others. As far as genre goes, I do like a bit of action mixed in with romance. This is stemmed from my heavily-drawn inspiration from various mediums. I crave for a handsome, well-spoken damsel sweeping a helpless knight off of their feet, as they ride off together into the sunset in the former's Cadillac.

I actually do not fanatically follow any particular fandoms, despite my interests in some of them. In a way, I do not wish to defile the purpose by which the original authors were trying to convey, but that is just my personal perspective. Instead, I would just emulate, not imitate, the idea by forming an entirely different concept instead. With that said, I may be persuaded to join a Highschool DxD roleplay - for a price.
How did you discover RPNation and what kept you active for the last several years?
I would like to thank Google, which I believe is the coming of our Lord, for the discovery of RPNation. Think about it, the all-knowing, all-seeing? Google. You have to pray to the Lord everyday, and you check in Google everyday, whether you like it or not. Anyways. I'm actually quite an ardent admirer of what I call the Golden Years of RPNation - which I am keen on bringing it back. Many claims the community as one of the few factors that kept them around. I, too, believe this to be true albeit with conditioned bias. As for my personal drive, I wish to carry on the traditions founded by the well-drawn and beautifully orchestrated roleplaying ideas of my idols: Fyuri, Avari and Lexielai. Guess one could say that I clung heavily onto my past roleplaying experiences to remain active. I am a believer of the old ways.
Do you have other hobbies outside of roleplaying?
Traditional drawing has always been a pasttime of mine since highschool. Inspired by many animes and mangas, I've been drawing since 2010 in hopes of complementing my written pieces. Occasionally, I would draw short comics or random concepts pertaining to a roleplay that I'm writing for. I've recently acquired a Wacom drawing pad, in hopes of transferring over to catch up with the digital artists these days. It's not as easy as traditional methods, but having the ability to undo your mistakes at the push of a button sure beats having to redraw from scratch.
What are some of your favorite shows, movies, books, or anime?
The recent addition to my top shows is Vikings. While the show does not fully encapsulate the historical authenticity of its focus, it is quite an enjoyable experience overall. This is all because I was looking for a show to fill the void as I mull over Black Sails' ending. I was not disappointed. Currently looking forward to the upcoming second season of Vikings: Valhalla. Much excitement.

Movies? Definitely Mel Gibson's The Patriot, my guilty pleasure war movie. But aside from the violence and the action, I loved the memorable dialogues that are rare in movies these days, as well as the fashion of the 18th century. Truth be told, I'm a sucker for period-piece costumes.

Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind and Ernest Hemingway's Old Man & The Sea are my top favorite books. The latter may have been a part of my highschool reading details, it nevertheless has a special place in my heart.

My favorite anime show of all time would be Jormungand. The series follows a young arms dealer who sells weapons and partakes in illegal smuggling operations, which I believe has a lot of potential to serve as inspiration for criminal syndicate roleplayers. The show has plenty of actions, humor and is one of the few shows that appeals to gun enthusiasts and action fans..
If you were granted 3 wishes under the conditions that one of them had to be a selfless wish, what would they be?
I usually don't think about wishes much. Though, if I had three, I would wish:
  • For the good folks of RPNation to be granted a wish of their own. Or something noble like that.
  • For all my rivals to prosper. Competition stirs the economy and encourages me to strive for greater aspects.
  • To see Malphaestus say "Hehe xD."
Do you have any favorite memes? One that never fails to make you laugh?
Oh no! You found yourself in a different time and world! Where did you go? Which era have you traveled to? ( Could be real, fantasy, etc. ). And who did you become?
Oh no! Truck-kun strikes again. My most-dreaded genre! Well, here goes!
I find myself looking at a reflection of a young woman, whose flowering apparels bespoke of her impending marriage. An offspring of a short affair, now used as a bargaining tool to maintain the status quo of an obsolete world. It seemed that I had taken up the identity of an unwanted child of a noble family in the Kingdom of Otysa, to be married off to a general of the enemy country (called the Kieris Empire). A fantasy world set in the equivalent of our nineteen-thirties and nineteen-forties. Initially, I was frightened to find out that my future husband was a stern and calculating man. Before long, I find myself as a hostage whose privileges end the moment I step outside of my new home. Following a series of event of trying to break out of the marriage, I gradually come to understand the young general more and more, as we inadvertently uncover a conspiracy that involves my marriage when war finally broke out between Otysa and Kieris. In a surprising turn of event, my once-neglectful husband had risked his life saving me from an assassination attempt while looking super charming when doing so, sparking something in our odd relationship. And this is where I ask you to enter your credit card number, as your trial of my improvised story has now ended. Now pay up. Muahahaha.
What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
Hydration. You never know when you will be sent on a courier detail at noon, when the sun is at its highest, on short notice. You will be running in your uncomfortable shoes, not because you want to, but because it complements your attire that day, while sweating under the hot summer sun and weathering thousands of mopeds and cars passing you by, as you try to get three blocks down the avenue just because someone forgot to read the memo the night before. Don't be caught unprepared - hydrate.

Oh. You mean writing advices?

All jokes aside. If there is one advice I could give to roleplayers in general, it would be to keep writing - even if you undergo writer's block. I notice that a lot of times, many struggle to commit themselves in a roleplay due to writer's block, which I myself am a frequent victim. But the one thing I learned is that you will get your stride back eventually. As such, worry about organizing and shaping your ideas later. What matters the most is that you throw down your ideas first, even as an unfurnished foundation, so that you may return to continue building something greater from it. And passing readers, do not be too quick to judge, as we are always learning, veteran and newbies alike. Unless you use Serif fonts, at eight-pixel and in Italics for chatting, then I will judge you wholeheartedly.
And don't forget to hydrate!~
Roleplay of the Month
What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
Well, inspiration wise there is a lot, from media to my personal experiences, perhaps some stuff would even be considered spoilers to how the RP is going to go if my players ever read it. I guess I'll start from the very very basics, aesthetics wise it came from an indie pixel game called The Final Station, more specifically one location in that game about an industrial city shrouded by protective mist. That is where I got the main looking from the setting, there's something about making the sky a different colour than what we are used to that is foreboding. The 1970s and 80s vibe is because I am a huge fan of analog horror due to the sheer unnerving-ness of it because of the combo of familiarity and distance, and I think that's the type of vibe I want to, an oxymoronic feeling that is both liberating and suffocating.

In terms of lore and the power system, it's kind of embarrassing to admit but in 2019 one of my friends showed me a character design with two characters, a male with sunglasses and a female with a blindfold and asked me what I thought. I said something along the lines of "like an urban fantasy setting where there are monsters that eat people's eyeballs so everyone wears something to protect them", that was the first incarnation of this RP.

Those are the very basic inspirations for the bare bones of the RP's world, admittingly it's not much but I suppose it's honest work.
Considering how many roleplays don't get past the planning stages, what do you think got your roleplay as far as it has?
Luck.

No I'm not kidding, I genuinely think that luck is a huge factor when it comes to getting active players and just getting things off of the ground. I have ran multiple RPs before that did not make it this far and I don't think they are of lesser quality, nicher topic, or I put less effort into them, so I really just think it comes down to luck. But of course there are a lot of things a GM can do to actually lessen that luck factor, because this is a very story and plot-driven type of RP I tend to outline the important things OoC and suggest some next steps. Some might see that as railroading but I try to keep them as suggestions, and in my experience as long as you don't railroad too hard most players are accepting of these things if you give off clear signals that this is a story-based RP. In fact, there are people who are the opposite of the "why don't you go write a book" crowd, I met many players that makes me want to shout at them "why don't you just go read a book" when they don't participate in the plot enough.
Is there a secret formula to a good and or fun RP?
I don't really know, but I can give it a jab. I think it's important to really give players feedback on how their actions affect the world and the things around them, it might seem trite but people want to do things for reward or some sort of gratification, like dropping loot in video games or TTRPGs. In a story based RP it is more difficult to achieve that since physical rewards are much more few and in between and you are sort of forced to give the players (not characters, the players) some sort of more intangible character progression so they have a sense of being acknowledged.

I tackled this by making a lot of files and writing that are "in-universe" and describes the player characters, because let's face it in group RPs we always want to know what other characters think of your characters, hence why I make it really really clear that the cast's actions are acknowledged and everything they do will have a tangible result at some point down the line. Being able to see all of the cast's actions amalgamated together and foreshadowed stuff finally bearing fruit has always been one of my favourite things in an RP, so I try to recreate those things in my own.
What makes this RP unique to you? Or is there a certain concept or theme that you wanted it to convey?
I don't know of saying this would make anyone including the players uncomfortable, and I neglected to talk about it in the first question because I didn't want to get into a "who just starts a conversation like that" scenario, but a lot of this RP's themes are derived from my experiences working part-time at a funeral service and supply company (it was right beside a huge hospital too, like geez that is some business practice) when I was in high school. It gave me a particular relationship with grief and realizations about death.

Although I am probably on the younger side for users on the site, I often sneak in things that I've found in some parts of my life. Life, death, epiphanies, purpose, regret, stuff like that while not compromising the super kick-ass awesome anime stuff. But sometimes I do worry that the plots I write might make people uncomfortable not because of disturbing graphic content (there's still plenty of that though) but because of the dilemma that it forces people to reflect on. Or people just won't care, chaotic evil all the way, might make me feel better if that happens.
How did you discover RpNation and what has your experience been like so far?
I was in several other RP sites and was active on one with a group of people that I did a few RPs with on and off and some long terms stuff, then popularity started to wane, and down goes that activity. A lot of people I knew migrated here so I decided to do that too, it's a fairly simple story overall.

Experience wise it's not that big of a culture shock since I was in forum RP for a long time, its a pretty smooth transition with a lot of the stuff being what I'm used to and what I'm always doing. I kind of just been doing the stuff I've been doing for the past few years and rolling with it.
What is the most interesting roleplay you ever participated in? What made it different?
Well well well, better strap in for this one.

First of all, it wasn't exactly a "roleplay" as we usually know it, it was called a "project", the participants still made original characters with backstories and had them interact with other people's characters in a world, but it wasn't through writing. It was through drawings. It was a roleplaying collaborative art project where character interactions were done through illustrations and comics called "SOIL PROJECT", a high sci-fi version of Harvest Moon where people built farms on asteroids, participated in space music festivals, and got into space gas station zoning disputes.

The character designs of this "RP" were all extremely unique because of the setting that was full of wacky intergalactic races, there were genetically spliced animal people, plant people with root-like tails, "non-solid" life that are sentient balls of gas or liquid that communicates through radiation, sentient androids protected by a law called "The Turning Accords", hiveminds of nanoparticles that mimic the appearance of other races. Some of my favourite characters were half of a cat in a life-sustaining vat that runs a biomedicine company, a ball of sentient liquid with a gentlemanly goldfish living inside it as a roommate, and a mineral/silicon-based person that collects organic fossils and imbeds them into their own body as a fashion statement. I made a reverse cyborg, who was an android that, through a series of complex insurance loopholes, ended up implanting organic body parts in itself rather than getting mechanical spare parts.
What is your most steal-your-breath "Woah" moment from a roleplay?
To be frank, I'm not an easily "wow'ed" person, I have standards that can be described as "low floor, high ceiling", meaning it's very easy to meet my standards but I have come to realize that I am quite difficult to..."impress", per se. I have troubled some of my former GMs and players due to this, but I don't want to lie and say I am super impressed got my breath stolen level of impressed. Like, I have had many moments I think was good and I thoroughly enjoyed, but I wouldn't say I ever had a moment described by the wording of this question. Sorry if I'm being too literal, but I don't like to disingenuously engage in exaggerating descriptors for dramatic effect when it comes to my personal opinion.
Tell me a little bit about your latest roleplay. What's has been your favorite aspect of it so far?
My latest roleplay as well as my main project is currently still Visionary Panic because it does take up a lot of my RP time to run it. I have been hunting for other RPs, some of my 1x1s died/were dropped in the planning stage, but in general it's just this one.

As for my current project...It's one of those "constantly apocalyptic" worlds where monsters that eat human flesh roam the world, and humans struggle to survive and one of their few ways of fighting back are people with superpowers, being the titular "Visionaries". The RP takes place in one of humanity's most advanced settlements, a highly advanced city with futuristic technology like punchcards, walkmans, radios, actual plumbing, and medical procedures that aren't just mutilation with extra steps. An adventure's guild-like organization pseudo-governs the city and one day someone on the chain of command decided to hire a bunch of weirdos (aka. the player characters) to find a way to exterminate all of the flesh-eating monsters. Of course, in a freelancer's worst nightmare, the team was provided little to no information on how to actually achieve this. Thus begins a plot full of goofing off, chasing conspiracy theories, and spending taxpayer dollars on cosmetics.

This is like a super fringe "aspect" and not even related to roleplaying, but my favourite aspect would probably be designing all of the logos for the NPCs and factions. Basically, every faction, some NPCs, and major player achievements have a logo associated with them. I think it gives off a certain vibe and feel to the immersion of the RP, I have always been interested in semiotics and graphic design, so it's something personally fulfilling for me to try to capture the feeling of a character or a part of the plot in one little symbol.
As a roleplay Game Master and creator~ If you had the choice to adapt your roleplay into a different medium which would it be; comic book, novel series, TV show, movie, or video game? And why?
Considering I plastered "anime" all over the interest check the answer should be obvious, then again this entire thing just has that "kind of weird idea but it's not weird if you consider it as an anime" vibe, like did people really not think Attack on Titan was weird? I think MAPPA or Studio Trigger would be nice for the production studio, and I want Yusuke Kobayashi to voice the BBEG...uhh, this is probably getting extremely off-topic.

A video game might also work since I have a lot of "x will remember that" Telltale style notes in my plotting notes, and the structure is a bit similar to Undertale, as the choice between killing and sparing certain NPCs can drastically alter the plot.
What has been more fun for you and your players so far, worldbuilding or character crafting? Something else? No wrong answers~
My players have definitely all seemed to enjoy discussing their characters, mostly making fun of the "edgelord" trope that everyone more or less falls a little bit into considering it's a slightly dystopian anime RP. I think I, as a slightly evil GM, had a lot of fun checking out how the characters react to the various scenarios that transpire and talking OoC smack about potentially horrifying future plot points in a foreboding way. I think its an interesting dynamic that we got going on, though sometimes I get self-conscious about often talking in a cryptic way, some people do find that annoying.
How to do maintain and address players who join your Roleplays? Such as if there's a problem with feeling left out, or newer players mixing with more experienced players etc etc?
I kind of just...talk to them? I try to maintain open dialogue which isn't that hard since I generally run with smaller groups of about 4-6 people, I hard cap the active player limit at 8 unless I have a co-GM. Although I have witnessed some RP drama before with bigger groups I think it's better to have a middle man (such as a GM or co-GM not involved in the situation) to listen to complains and identify the problem from there. In a conflict it's difficult to get anywhere if you have both parties constantly engaging with each other, that's just an argument.

I really have no advice for this since I think these kinds of things need to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis with the context of the social dynamic problem examined properly. For solo GMs I can only advise to keep your groups smaller so you can actually deal with anything that comes up in regards to your players.
Should people join your RP? Is it friendly to new characters despite having started already?
I have been having a hard time keeping players active and getting new players, but I do want to continue doing this RP if there is still sufficient interest so sure. The plot is designed to have people drop in and out, long-term effects of player decisions might feel a bit hollow but that can just be treated as "plot development". There is also just a straight-up recap thread of everything that happened.

But if there isn't enough interest that's alright too, stay tuned for my next RP project that's just an acid-induced nightmare given tangible form.

June Donation badge by Onmyoji Onmyoji
rainbow_shark.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! We try to not spam with those. The Newsletter notifications are only once per month :closedeyescryingfrown:

It's not so bad being once a month.

But hey, glad to see I'm not the only one who came from Roblox to here...

And I'm also not the only one to struggle understanding the site at first

I would like to thank the Staffs for their hard work for the site and the players. A big shout out to those that have participated in my RPs for the last two years. I really learned a lot from y'all.

Also, a big welcome-home to Avari Avari . We missed you. <3

Psst. The "How did you discover RPNation, and what kept you active for the last several years?" part is duplicated. Muh Roblox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back