Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: February 2022

BLOSSOMING
February 2022 Newsletter

HXFYXnj.png

“The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all.” -Mulan

As the new year comes into full swing, new challenges appear. Although the past may not be forgotten, embedded in our memories and shown in our growth, new expectations and motivations surface. With blessings of a chance to grow, blossoming into who we would like to be, wonderful memories and prosperity may find its way to us.​

Or, perhaps new adventures await us.​

Would it be blossoming friendships, love, partner?​

Or, even a baby’s first steps, a first cry, love, and so much more.​

What will this new year bring and how will you blossom?​

uFDoOF.png

Announcements

🎉 A huge congratulations and a happy birthday month to Onmyoji Onmyoji ! After years of dedication to RPN, let's shower and welcome them to RPN's Administrative team! A well-deserved recognition and position!​

🦈 Official RpNation Merchandise
The merchandise store offers t-shirts perfect for the all weather. There are multiple styles to choose from. Shop now!

🐸 Helper Application Form
RpNation's Helper team is looking for more dedicated people to aid with the creation of site events and the newsletter. Apply today!

uFDoOF.png

Featured BBCoder from xayah. xayah.

Featured Character by MadWitchJay MadWitchJay
Featured Discussion from BadApple BadApple

Featured Writer from Andei Andei

Featured Artist from miyabi miyabi

uFDoOF.png

uFDnGO.png

Member of the Month: Kaya Kaya
When did you start roleplaying? Was it anything like what you do now?
I started writing at the age of... around 11, maybe 10, I think? Back then, I'd either write on my own or with my childhood best friend. Of course we were far from good, every character was an Edgelord™ or a Special Snowflake, one-liners were life, and the plots just... Jee. but hey, we all started somewhere, right?​
RPing isn't very well known where I come from, so I didn't know that it actually was a thing until I was 18! Basically, I used to RP without even knowing I was doing it, hah.​
Only years later, when I had just turned 18, did I find out that 'writing with others' actually is a thing, and that it's called RPing.​

How did you discover RpNation?
This actually connects to my previous answer!​
The way I found out that what I was doing is called RPing was through a friend I made online.​
We both had been on this kid's site for collectible pets for so many years, met through pure coincidence and discovered that we both loved to RP.​
But it was clear that we needed to move somewhere else if we wanted to write something even remotely dark or romantic. Or allow our characters to swear, for that matter. How realistic is an ex-soldier werewolf with anger issues who never even says 'damn'? Exactly.​
A quick Google search later, I found RPNation and we joined. I had a different account back then, but started fresh a while ago.​
Sadly, due to some mayor disagreements, we aren't in touch by now, but RPN remained one of my favorite places on the internet.​

What are your favorite genres/settings to roleplay in?
Ah, a difficult one.​
If I had to pick one, it'd probably be sci-fi/space opera. Having grown up with Star Trek and Captain Future, I always loved the different worlds, the interesting concepts, all that good stuff. I already loved space when I was a kid, and I never lost that fascination for it. Plus, I have a way too big love for coming up with concepts of how some futuristic tech could work, how society could've evolved (or devolved)...​
However, I love fantasy, too, both, medieval and modern, and do enjoy RPing in victorian era settings. Oh, and original (non-fandom) modern hero settings. They're so much fun!​

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
Being a rather creative person, my other interests include digital art, as some might know (I have a gallery on here), playing the piano, reading and singing; I'm part of our local choir.​
However, I also enjoy Wing Tsun Kung-Fu, hiking, gaming, and cooking (that is, only if my boyfriend doesn't do it- he's the better cook of the two of us- by far-, and I'll rather let him work his magic (; ).​

Are you excited about any upcoming shows or movies?
The Witcher, season 3! There's no official release date yet, but hey, I'm a patient fella. I really fell in love with it the second I watched the first episode; and I'm excited for the ones still to come! I just hope they'll give Jaskier some more screen time again. Love that idiot! Other than that... Avatar 2, been waiting for that for so long, plus the LOTR series and that series about Moon Knight.​

What is your favorite celestial body? (Planets/Stars/etc)
Easy! Meteorites! Precisely, the Perseids. I'm living in the countryside, so the stars are easy to watch from all those fields all around, without any distractions like lights or cars, and every year when they Perseids light up the night sky and send countless shooting stars across it, it's like magic.​

What are some your favorite games? (Videogame/Cardgame/Playground Game/Boardgame etc.)
Everyone who knows me just a little bit will know what my favorite videogame is-Skyrim.​
I've spent thousands of hours in this game and I keep discovering new little things. Or hilarious bugs; it's Skyrim, after all.​
I'm also a big sucker for Monopoly. The longest game went on for five hours. Five hours of a group of young adult sitting around this game, leading debates like our life depended on it and starting to form little teams. It was hilarious!​

What is your favorite thing about Rpnation?
The community, absolutely. I can't remember ever having been part of another community this supportive, creative and diverse. Of course there will be different opinions, debates, discussions. But that's fine, as long as they're held civilly, in my opion, and that's what I feel this community is outstandingly good at- accepting each other and getting together to create an abundance of fantastical, scary, mysterious worlds for everyone to enjoy.​
And I'm certain I'll stay a part of this for a long time to come ❤️

When you get onto RPN on any given day, what do you generally like to do?
My RPN routine, basically?​
Usually, I'll read and reply to any OOC messages and conversations going, then I'll go and read my partners' replies, if I received any. And then I'll usually just spend some time around the general and personal discussion forums to let some ideas for my replies develop. I rarely reply right away, usually I take some time to let a rough idea take shape a little.​
Do you have any favorite memes? One that never fails to make you laugh​

If you could become instantly good at any one skill what would it be? On the conditions that it's something others might not care about
Heh, actually, yeah, though it's a meme you won't find on the internet.​
My boyfriend, who's just as much of a nerd as I am sometimes, made a meme shortly after we started dating.​
You see, when we met for the first time, at my workplace, he had a badge showing a Magicarp in a sexy pose pinned to his jacket and it made me laugh so hard.​
He asked me for a date and I said yes.​
That meme goes​
"When you ask a shop clerk for a date and she says yes because your Magicarp impressed her."​
With Skyrim's Speech 100 picture right underneath.​
It's so unoriginal, but very sweet.​

If you were granted 3 wishes under the conditions that one of them had to be a selfless wish, what would they be?
Wrapping gifts! I'm the worst when it comes to that and it'd be a nice change to not go mental over every darn gift I have to wrap for Christmas or birthdays.​
And I'd save so much gift wrap!!​

1- the ability to fly. I don't know, it's been a dream as long as I can remember.​
2- The time and money to travel around the world and see all kinds of different cultures.​
3- I was thinking about something like 'world peace' or 'no one needs to live in poverty' and I'd probably wish for one of those. But if it had to be something on a smaller scale, I'd wish for my sister to realize what a great person she is. I love her with all my heart, and I wish she could love herself the same.​

Where in the world would you want to be like to be reborn in if you had to choose and why?
Scotland!! No need to waste a second thought, I get reborn, I get reborn in Scotland! I've actually been thinking about emigrating, but, you know... Love's keeping me here.​
But if my life was to end and I got reborn? There. Without a doubt.​

Do you have a favorite bizarre wacky but fictional histàorical event? (Like in movies or books, alternate history stuff) If not, what's your favorite wacky real-historical event?
That's a difficult one! Honestly there's no event I can think of right now. I don't read a lot of books or watch a lot of movies that use an alternate history, or at least I can't remember one that stuck with me 😅

Oh no, you accidentally fell out of reality, luckily for you, the RPN's Shark-Chan has given you a chance to live in another albeit fictional world, where would you choose to go?
I was about to write Middle Earth, but then I had to think of the Neverending Story. The color-changing desert, Graograman, the disappearing jungle...​
Thinking back, it was this book that made me want to write and started my love for world building. Fantastica is such an amazing, beautiful and diverse world, and I'd love to see it with my own eyes.​

If you could only listen to one genre of music for the rest of your life, what genre would it be and why?
Probably Rock. It's my favorite genre, and though I listen to a lot of metal and other genres, too, I think rock would be what I really can't live without.​
My summers wouldn't be complete without Kid Rock's All Summer Long and my darker days would be way worse without Citizen Soldier.​
Plus, it's the music I grew up with! I'd be missing 90% of my childhood if I could never listen to Rock music again!​

If you had to make a character based on your favorite music genre, what kind of character would you make?
So, Rock-​
The first think I think of when listening to my music is cruizing down a road on a motorbike in the summer sun, wearing a leather jacket.​
So that'd absolutely influence what my character would look like.​
I'd probably make him a biker, but not the bulky kind. A young rebel wearing his leather jacket no matter how damn hot it is outside, giving zero hecks about what anyone thinks of his long, multicolored hair and rocking those ripped jeans.​
He'd dream of freedom and finding happiness wherever his heart takes him.And he'd probably try to act way cooler than he actually is.​

Would you rather go in a submarine to the bottom of the Marianas Trench, the deepest part of the ocean or go to the International Space Station? What are the pros and cons of your choice?
Absolutely the international space station.​
I hate being underwater, heck I hate swimming, so you won't get me into a submarine for all the money in the world, heh. Plus, with submarines being rather narrow and all, and me being claustrophobic, that wouldn't end well.​
Sure, a Con of going to the ISS would be the long training (though I might actually enjoy that) and the fact that I don't really like thick and heavy clothing (and Space suits being just that), but the view!​
I mean, it's space! Space is cool! And I personally know a former astronaut who's been to the ISS a couple of times, so being able to talk about our experiences up there would be so cool.​

Got any RpNation projects that you would like to share?
Hmm, I'll always gladly share my world building project!​
Nova is an ever-expanding world I've been working on with a few partners over the years, basically it's being expanded by every RP that takes place in it.​
As I don't have the time for group RPs, it's a 1x1 only thing, but I'm hyped every time someone shows interest in making Nova grow through another RP.​

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
It's something I've been having a hard time learning, and I can imagine many other people are struggling with it, too-​
Be your own best friend.​
When I was going through a particularly dark time in my life, someone told me this-​
'No one can build you up or break you down as much as you yourself.'
And it's so, so true.​
Of course, sometimes someone might say something especially hurtful, or make your heart soar with the sweetest compliment. But if you are kind to yourself, if you treat yourself the way you'd treat someone you love dearly, you will be stronger than you've ever thought you can be.​

uFDoOF.png

uFDM48.png

Roleplay of the Month: Hell City: Remastered by Sinny The Fool Sinny The Fool and Solemn Jester Solemn Jester
What are some things that inspired you to create Hell City?
The first Hell City back in 2015 was something of an anime-inspired Gotham city in most respects. There was an inspiration coming from a lot of anime but Gotham/Batman is perhaps the largest influence for the setting of the city itself. Since then it has largely become its own separate thing as I and eventually Solly continued to work on it since around 2016. The remaster for Hell City was Solly's idea after we started reminiscing on the days of the 2015 versions of the rp.​

Are you satisfied with how the roleplay turned out? If so, what aspect of the roleplay do you think helped with the popularity of the setting?
Something in between, we enjoy the characters in the roleplay and their interactions with each other but it has not progressed as far as we like yet. The thing we think helped its popularity is the sandbox approach that we have taken with allowing people to create their own organizations & plotlines to drive the story forward, basically we think player freedom has helped make it as popular as it is.​

What keeps you going to consistently write for Hell City?
Me and Solly both keep each other motivated to continue writing for Hell City and pretty much any other roleplay we join. It is our support for each other that has kept us going even when one of us has felt unmotivated to do so. For me personally (Sinny) I also have a pretty big personal connection with Hell City and it's the one thing I have where I feel unrestrained with what I can and can't do.​

For those who are looking to start their own roleplay with hopes of it becoming successful, what are some tips you think would help with their endeavor?
We think a good support system definitely helps, me and Solly have each other as well as a few other people that we feel that we can trust when it comes to helping us manage rp's and storylines. We also think it is important to keep players engaged by involving their characters in wider plotlines or creating opportunities for everyone to have their time in the spotlight.​

Do you plan on releasing new roleplays in the future similar to your current one?
Yes, we have a few rp concepts in mind that are similar in one aspect or another. The next rp we plan on attempting is primarily a concept of Solemn's that is set in a world where part of the human population is inflicted with an unknown phenomenon called 'Triggers' with such individuals possessing the potential to unlock terrifying and sometimes self-destructive abilities that pose a threat to general society. The world is fixated on these individuals, and the roleplay would follow an international organization called 'RECOIL' that acts as an emergency response force to events relating to Triggers and have the primary objective of discovering the condition's origin and cause.​

uFDoOF.png

Let’s show off some of your musical tastes in the newsletter next month! You can also see what has been recommended in the past. Submit your music here!

February Donation Badge by @peritwinkle
mzJ9sZx.png

Artist Credit
Lily Banner:588ku
Tiger Lily Icon: 插画叶子
Tiger Heart Icon: Annabrth_cher

Happy Black History Month and Happy Lunar New Years! Absolutely stoked that February is here and hope everyone's doing well!

A huge congratulations to everyone's who's featured in our Newsletter! [ xayah. xayah. , BadApple BadApple , MadWitchJay MadWitchJay , Andei Andei , miyabi miyabi , Kaya Kaya , Sinny The Fool Sinny The Fool , Solemn Jester Solemn Jester ] And of course, a big round of applause to Onmyoji Onmyoji for joining the Administrative team!

Everyone's blossoming, eh? Hehe.

P.S. Don't forget to check our our Music Showcase and Character Showcase!

Special thank you to the Newsletter team and Staff for an incredible job!

Last edited:
It's something I've been having a hard time learning, and I can imagine many other people are struggling with it, too-Be your own best friend.When I was going through a particularly dark time in my life, someone told me this-'No one can build you up or break you down as much as you yourself.'And it's so, so true.Of course, sometimes someone might say something especially hurtful, or make your heart soar with the sweetest compliment. But if you are kind to yourself, if you treat yourself the way you'd treat someone you love dearly, you will be stronger than you've ever thought you can be.
I could not agree more with this statement. To love yourself (a truly worthy goal at least for me), you have to like yourself. To like yourself, you must accept yourself. And to accept yourself, I think you honestly must know yourself. To paraphrase Bruce Lee, "To express yourself honestly is not an easy thing to do." I think studying yourself and expressing yourself leads to knowing yourself. Not in some narcistic way, but in a way that perhaps a scientist who studies only facts might take on some very personal project.

For me, this taken years and I've genuinely succeeded. But to see someone else on the path? Kaya Kaya Hats off to you! That you're a student of the martial arts is something we have in common. Zen, for example. Where you are "saddled with the responsibility for yourself." The philosophies of the martial arts have absolutely helped me learn, accept, like, and love myself all the while seeing myself with as few illusions as possible. =)

I wish you the same, Isthill! Big wonderful congrats on being Member of the Month! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back