Other Roleplay Pet peeves

I honestly think I’m done with roleplay, which is sad because it has been such a major part of my life.

Someone just told me I am too, “fast paced” when not once did I bother them for a reply and we hadn’t even started writing yet, we had only done bios.

I can’t deal with others lacking enthusiasm for roleplays that I always seem to have too much of.
That’s a real bummer; I’m also very enthusiastic when it comes to RPs, partially because I haven’t been active for probably 8 years or so. I’m always in my RP’s discord at all times of day talking about stuff, I even turned on notifications for the server so I don’t miss anything lol.

I’m sure some find my behavior annoying, but you can’t let them get you down. Too many people are apathetic these days, and it’s considered lame to be passionate about stuff. Everyone has to be veiled in ironic detachment. I still think excitement is something worth holding on to. I hope you don’t quit RPing, it really is fun when you find the right group and everything meshes well.

And for what it’s worth, if someone doesn’t reply after a week or two, I just move on lol. You’re more patient than me!

Last edited:
Hmm, this is a toughie, but I think I've got a few:
  • 1st person roleplay. When I first started out, I was with a group, and one person insisted on using 1st person for their character, while the rest of us were in 3rd person. (This was not on RPN). So, it really threw off the flow, and I did not continue that RP.
  • Unreadable sizes and text colors. This has been said before so I won't elaborate further.
  • Overpowered characters. (Oh okay, so your character can end the world with the snap of a finger, and their weakness is a peanut allergy? Sure...)
That about sums it up. I'm sure there's more, but they'd be so minor I could brush it off. These are the most egregious and would turn me off from an RP.

My roleplay pet peeve... is when people just don't let their characters be bad at things or viewed in a negative light. I'm not gonna say I've never done this myself but I try to be more conscious of it now.

I wanna say it's almost general Mary Sue-ism but like, perfect characters just don't exist and it's not hard to just tweak connotations of words to make them a fleshed-out character.

Your character is super friendly? How? They always talk to others, cool play that to the extreme. Make them overly talkative, perhaps some might even call them annoying.

Every trait can have a good and bad light. PLEASE ADD SOME DAMN NEGATIVE TRAITS. I wanna know your character at their best and their worst.

Skill monkeys are hella annoying too. Skills don't need to be 0 or 100. If your character plays an instrument they don't need to be godly at it. Nor does your character need to be good at something to choose to do it anyways. It's really boring being too good at things, there is no variety there.

Plus then your characters all wind up essentially being the same character with a different coat of paint >.>

GIVE ME VARIETY.

Skill monkeys are hella annoying too. Skills don't need to be 0 or 100. If your character plays an instrument they don't need to be godly at it. Nor does your character need to be good at something to choose to do it anyways. It's really boring being too good at things, there is no variety there.
I've found it's interesting when your character is a 100 at something very niche and specific.

In a sci fi world of action, conflict, terror, and mystery, my character is a 10/10 chef.

*rubs my hands together* mini rant incoming my friends!

I am sick and tired of people asking me to rp fandoms. I don't do that, I only do that if EVER as a joke with my best friend due to something we made as a kid. Do NOT ask me for Fandom rps. But people keep coming into my inbox for a fandom rp and I'm like nope I don't do that please read my ad again and then they get salty and act like I took their favorite food and slammed it on the ground. And I'm like?? Huh???

Also a small one but this happens often to me: some new member asking me to rp and then telling me they don't want to because I'm a junior member. The heck does that even mean??? I'm still scratching my head at that one. (if someone can explain by all means please dm me and let me know!))

Also a small one but this happens often to me: some new member asking me to rp and then telling me they don't want to because I'm a junior member. The heck does that even mean??? I'm still scratching my head at that one. (if someone can explain by all means please dm me and let me know!))

Heya, I try not to post on the discussion parts of this site cause I'm pretty reserved and such (there are other reasons, but mostly it's that), BUT I saw you had a question I think I know the answer to and saw you hadn't gotten it answered yet, so:

Don't quote me on this, BUT I think "Junior Member" on your Custom title means that you're new here and typically "new" to some people means "inexperienced" and/or possibly maybe "will post one-liners"???

Again, don't QUOTE ME but that might be it...?

**EDIT: ALSO, I am so sorry I quoted you (especially when you asked to be DM'd!), I am a shy git and I don't like DMing people AND I didn't read the last bit of your post like the dumba** that I am! :dead:**

Last edited:
I am once again asking to please read my search info before contacting me. If I say I can only reply once a week on a good day and you need me to respond every 2 days before blocking me, we are 100% not compatible as writers and you will not be the one exception to my own boundaries.

I once had a GM whose characters would always demean mine, and no matter how hard my PC tried they failed at everything the GM's PCs ordered them to do. They were the butt-monkey of the guild they were in, and they were never allowed to rise above that status. I expressed frustration at the GM for this and their response was along the lines of, "Your character should've done the task this way," or, "That isn't how that task should've been completed. Your PC is just facing the consequences of their actions." This wasn't something like my PC being a stupid murderhobo and the GM punishing them. It's scenarios like this:

GMPC: "Your task is to deliver this package to a hermit deep within the dinosaur-infested jungle."

PC comes across a chasm. Looks like the harsh storm a few days ago have destroyed the rickety old bridge that used to be there.

PC: No problem.

PC, being an inventive type, constructs a glider out of sticks, leaves, and vines and glides over the chasm.

GM: A pterodactyl swoops down on you. It strikes the package off your back and it tumbles down into the chasm, lost forever.

PC makes it safely to the other side, but now the hermit is angry, and the guild leader (GMPC) is angry, and my PC is demoted to washing chamber pots for their failure.

Me: ??

GM: The way your character should've solved the problem was to contact the wind spirits to carry them across the chasm!

Imagine this happening over and over again.

The only reason I stuck with that RP group for so long was because the other players were great, but eventually it was just too frustrating for me. I don't know too many RPers who enjoy having their PCs fail over and over again. One crucial thing a person needs to accept before becoming a GM is that PCs are NOT going to do everything you want or expect them to; they're not your characters! If you want 100% control over the characters and their actions, and the outcomes of those actions, write a book!

I have received messages, or we'll agree to start a roleplay, but then it does before we even begin.

Also, being new to a site doesn't mean you are new to roleplaying.

When I'm doubling or writing multiple characters with someone and they only focus on their character along with their love interest. It's annoying. It's probably one of the biggest.

Or when I'm starting a new rp and we plan everything out then it ends before it even begins.

I have so many role-plays that are constant one-liners or less than half a paragraph. Even when I was starting out role-playing and believe me I wasn't very good, I still didn't ever do one-liners. I don't understand it it's almost like there's little to no effort being put into the role-play. I have been doing paragraph since I started role-play, I've been role-playing for quite some time.

Last edited:
When I'm doubling or writing multiple characters with someone and they only focus on their character along with their love interest. It's annoying. It's probably one of the biggest.

Or when I'm starting a new rp and we plan everything out then it ends before it even begins.
This!

I'd like to rant about how most roleplays drop before they even begin. It takes a little planning to start a roleplay. Unless you want to just send me a starter, but it takes at least a little organization between both people.

When you're waiting on someone to reply in a rp but they say they can't post all while posting in other rps. Like just be real with me and say you're lacking muse or aren't interested

I have a few!

Writing police. People who try and tell you what you can or can't write because they don't like it. It's not the same as a site having rules against writing a certain thing (usually smut) it's more when it's not a rule but someone decides to yell at you for something you wrote that they personally dont like and can't just block and move on.

One line writers. Super obvious and common pet peeve but oh man. It's especially egregious on Tumblr. There are dozens of people I met on there years ago that only wrote bad smut and one line replies to everything (sometimes even one word!!!) And then I bump into them again now and nothing has changed. I need substance, people. I can't respond to "He nods" without pulling my hair out!

People trying to force things in threads. Forcing an oc that doesn't belong or fit in the universe. Forcing a character from one series into another. Forcing a romance that you just don't see working. Forcing conflict that makes no sense. This is the kind of thing that kills my interest in a thread.

One that's more common like a few people mentioned before is one liners. I don't mind writing even with someone who is new at rp and doesn't write much, and I don't mind working with people who have different styles of writing but I know that someone just starting out could at the very least write at least a paragraph. Its not too much to ask for I think.

Another is overpowered characters. With or without the fight scenes being involved, I hate writing with someone who's oc cannot be hurt or anything. It's simply not realistic. Some people have different opinions and that's okay!! Thats simply my opinion :)

Pettiness/ sideways comments. MC did something IC they didn't like, it colored their view of me beyond even just the rest of that story.

On a later rp of mine even, objections were not phrased in a way that seemed to be for purely rp reasons.

Had others messaging me letting me know they thought there was something more personal going on with the critiques/how rude they seemed. I knew I wasn't just tripping after that.

This doesn't feel like a real pet peeve but I'll just say it anyways...

Why does it always feel like when I'm interested in a certain topic, trope or fandom, everyone else isn't. And the second I lose interest there's like a million search threads asking for it? Where were y'all 2 weeks ago when I was craving it? 😂

Also once again asking everyone (it's not as bad on this site I think because of this thread specifically) to stop making your search threads in 6.5 font colored neon pink and yellow for your aesthetic if you aren't going to do a mobile friendly or disability accessible version. If I can't read your search thread, we aren't roleplaying. Because chances are when you start posting, it's gonna look like that. Just be considerate of the fact that some people have disabilities and won't be able to read that. That's like putting your resume in PDF format with a million graphics and running it through ATS.

Oh boi, where do I begin?

I've had people respond to a well-written roleplay post and they tell me they can't write detailed responses. I reassure them that it's okay and I don't particularly mind as long as their responses cover what I write out in my responses. But usually, right after I start the roleplay, they get intimidated and leave.

Then there's the flip side where people don't actually put in any effort at all and respond with a single line. The last time this happened I tried to ask my partner to write a bit more, they managed TWO EXTRA WORDS, then blocked me!

The people who hype up the roleplay and make you feel eager to get started, only to ghost you just before you start really get under my nerves.

The people who only have Mary Sue/Gary Stu type of characters. It frustrates the hell out of me when characters are so inexplicably overpowered that they're unable to face consequences and grow as characters.

This one is something that I'm guilty of, but I've tried to break out of this bad habit: lack of communication. I get that life gets in the way, it has happened with me, but at least try to let me know instead of letting me slowly believe that the roleplay has died. :(

God-modding is my final pet peeve. My character is mine. You can't use them. >:(

This isn't my biggest pet peeve, but it's worth mentioning: people who waffle. Whether it's in roleplay ads or in threads, I've always had a bone to pick with RPers who not only abuse purple prose, but do so just to boast about how much they can write (as if 2000 words of weak writing is better than 20!).

This isn't to say everyone should write in a short and snappy style, and there definitely is a level of detail and quality that I prefer which can't be achieved with just oneliners. However, I wish—at least regarding the RPers I've encountered in the past—that more people in literate/novella communities had a better grasp of word economy...! :(

Last edited:
Ain't posted on here in a minute, but lack of attention from my partners is definitely a big one for me. And I don't mean 'pay attention to me'- I mean, when you read my CS and my posts, pay attention to how I spell my character's name, how I said he was standing to the left of yours but to the right of the table, how I said it was midday, cloudy, and windy, etc. If your posts directly contradict mine, that tells me you don't care enough to pay attention and write collaboratively, and it feels like a lack of respect.

Being practically forced to be a GM. Despite many times clearly wanting a back and fourth discussion on ideas, plus evident in my ads, to get met with basically the text message equivalents of just 'ok'.

I feel compelled to post this here every time I see it in hopes that maybe some of you will make the change.

I'm once again asking to either make an accessible or mobile friendly version of your search thread. Your blinding, neon, size 8 font with various ombres makes it impossible for me to read because I am legally blind. Nothing will make me nope out of a search faster than being unable to read what you just wrote, and your posts will probably look like that. Just please consider the people like me who can't read that. I know nobody is doing it on purpose (or maybe you are, but I'd like to think the best) but boy does it really suck.

I haven't been on RPN for a full month yet but I've got two so far:

- People who bump their 1x1 requests but don't respond to folks who've commented. This has not happened to me specifically, but I've seen it in the 1x1 searches I've looked at, and it feels... rude? I get that a lot of folks don't want to have those conversations in the request thread and would rather discuss by DM, but it's weird to me that they don't even acknowledge the comments. It feels like they're ignoring people who have replied, and that makes me less likely to reach out because who's to say they won't just ignore me too? (caveat, if the original post says clearly that they won't respond, this is less bothersome).
- Folks who resuscitate threads created a year or more ago and have absolutely no indication of when their search was last updated. You don't have to keep a changelog but like. 'Revamped June 2023!' in your intro would at least assure me that the information you've posted is still accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back