Other Roleplay Pet peeves

At least they waited. I've had people leave the convo immediately after messaging them.
I dunno, I'd prefer that too getting through all the planning, posting my opening starter post, and then them waiting a couple of weeks to just randomly leave. Like why insist you're planning to post at all if you're not?

I don't understand why so many role-players struggle with characters under 18. What are they looking for? An adult RP when these sites are PG-13?
Sometimes I like to have the freedom to RP actual families and characters with a variety of ages. JK Rowling was 30 when she wrote Harry Potter. In fact, many YA novelists are adults. So I am confused as to why this is an issue here.

I don't understand why so many role-players struggle with characters under 18. What are they looking for? An adult RP when these sites are PG-13?
Sometimes I like to have the freedom to RP actual families and characters with a variety of ages. JK Rowling was 30 when she wrote Harry Potter. In fact, many YA novelists are adults. So I am confused as to why this is an issue here.
I don't think it's characters under 18 necessarily, but writers under 18. Personally I'll write characters of pretty much any age. Really depends what is required for the RP.

As the mods/admin have told ME at least once or twice... this isn't a PG-13 site.

For me personally though, age 18 was 20 years ago. I couldn't possibly RP an 18-year-old to the modern 18-year-old crowd (at least not in a modern parallel). We lived in very different societies. Like, cell phones, for instance. None of my friends had 'em. I didn't have one. No one really had stuff like that unless they were some super-busy businessperson. And don't even get me started on the lingo.

Last edited:
I dabble more in action fantasy group RPs so my perspective would be more from that angle but I do notice people's aversion to child characters, even when the setting makes sense for children to join it. I think its mostly boils down to some scenarios when applied to children would make people uncomfortable, also it would introduce the child soldier topic which is probably too heavy for most people.

As the mods/admin have told ME at least once or twice... this isn't a PG-13 site.

For me personally though, age 18 was 20 years ago. I couldn't possibly RP an 18-year-old to the modern 18-year-old crowd. We lived in very different societies. Like, cell phones, for instance. None of my friends had 'em. I didn't have one. No one really had stuff like that unless they were some super-busy businessperson. And don't even get me started on the lingo.
Even so, you're not supposed to do NSFW content here. I say PG-13 so people don't try to sneak content in. Plus, most of the sites I am on are PG-13.

If that's you, that's fine. 18 was some years ago for me too, but I can still write as one.

Even so, you're not supposed to do NSFW content here. I say PG-13 so people don't try to sneak content in. Plus, most of the sites I am on are PG-13.

If that's you, that's fine. 18 was some years ago for me too, but I can still write as one.
I wasn't mentioning NSFW content at all. +/- 18 doesn't automatically denote inclusion/disinclusion of smut. it's just an age bracket and need not be immediately associated with NSFW content

I wasn't mentioning NSFW content at all. +/- 18 doesn't automatically denote inclusion/disinclusion of smut. it's just an age bracket
I didn't say you did, you misunderstood where I was getting at. Many role-players try to sneak in content.

Last edited:
I dabble more in action fantasy group RPs so my perspective would be more from that angle but I do notice people's aversion to child characters, even when the setting makes sense for children to join it. I think its mostly boils down to some scenarios when applied to children would make people uncomfortable, also it would introduce the child soldier topic which is probably too heavy for most people.
What is the child soldier topic? It doesn't mean everyone would do that.

I don't think it's characters under 18 necessarily, but writers under 18. Personally I'll write characters of pretty much any age. Really depends what is required for the RP.
Most role-players actually state, "I won't write for characters under 18." So it's not just the writers have to be over 18.

I know a lot of people who write characters under 18 actually so I didn't know this was common.

I think maybe the reason why people say this is because there are sites that forbid roleplaying characters underage in general. Some times these rules bleed over unfortunately.
The sites I am on don't forbid younger characters.

I personally don't want kids in my RPs, as a personal preference. More often than not, it kinda feels like babysitting, especially in a high-stakes, high-action roleplay.
My roleplays also tend towards heavy topics that I'm not comfortable involving children in, such as traumatic events leading to PTSD, loneliness, drug abuse, emotional abuse, and violence. I want to be focused on that part of the story and not "how am I going to drag a kid along through all of this?"

So I guess the answer is: I don't want to write a family. I'm not interested in it, it wouldn't be appropriate for my RPs, and it wouldn't suit my tastes.

I don't know what the answers are for others, but that's mine.

There's nothing wrong with preferring not to roleplay characters under 18. Those are just not the ideal partners for you. If you want a ham sandwich, you don't tell the package of turkey it has to turn into ham, do you? No, you go looking for ham. What I've learned the last few years is that there are plenty of other partners out there. So instead of settling for 'close enough, I can deal with this' and having the game not work out, being a little choosier and more patient waiting for the right partner to show up has far better results.

There's nothing wrong with preferring not to roleplay characters under 18. Those are just not the ideal partners for you. If you want a ham sandwich, you don't tell the package of turkey it has to turn into ham, do you? No, you go looking for ham. What I've learned the last few years is that there are plenty of other partners out there. So instead of settling for 'close enough, I can deal with this' and having the game not work out, being a little choosier and more patient waiting for the right partner to show up has far better results.
Thank you. I don't want role-players to think I won't respect their limits. I can do a story where characters are over 18, just sometimes I miss role-playing a variety.

Thank you. I don't want role-players to think I won't respect their limits. I can do a story where characters are over 18, just sometimes I miss role-playing a variety.
I RP'd as a teen in a post-apocalypse "Mad Max" styled 1x1 on another site. But since the setting was more fantastical, I didn't have to worry about the modern mindset (that's what I meant earlier when I said I can't RP as an 18-year-old anymore, I can't relate to a modern 18 y/o mindset). "Badger" was more of a wasteland cannibal/raider type. lol
Good times

Pet peeve though: When child/teen characters have skillsets that would normally take an adult several years to master.

Last edited:
Right. When I'm a GM I just outright reject characters like that.
Or even adult characters that are veritable swiss-army-men with a wide array of perfected skills. Gimme a break, Captain Kill.

I do not write perfectly, and I doubt anyone can say they've never made any spelling/grammar errors on this site. I also understand that some people, especially those with learning difficulties, struggle more with their writing. I myself struggle a lot writing on paper, where I mix up a lot of letters and have always had chicken scratch handwriting.

At the same time, I don't get what stops some people from running their writing through a spell checker before posting. I don't care about casual conversation, my grammar is very inconsistent on Discord for example, but when it comes to roleplaying I do have higher expectations. There's options on phones and computers for good spell checkers. I stick with the free version of Grammarly.

A few mistakes is fine, no problemo, but when I can see many mistakes from a glance it really doesn't set a good impression in my opinion. That is a big pet peeve of mine, and it's a shame because there's often great writing behind all the off-putting mistakes.

You mean I actually need to find partners before I get to roleplay? *shocked gasp* Unironically my biggest pet peeve right there! The process is annoying and I hate writing interest checks and screaming into the void and... okay, okay, I'll get to it soon. Just wanted to complain a bit.

You mean I actually need to find partners before I get to roleplay? *shocked gasp* Unironically my biggest pet peeve right there! The process is annoying and I hate writing interest checks and screaming into the void and... okay, okay, I'll get to it soon. Just wanted to complain a bit.
I feel this so much, especially since I always feel mine are so basic.

I understand it's a stylistic choice, but I dislike it when people write in a small font that I have to squint to read it. If interest checks/writing is like this I don't bother to try reading it. I'm not going to ask someone to change their preferred writing style/aesthetic but I'm not going to force my eyes either.

I understand it's a stylistic choice, but I dislike it when people write in a small font that I have to squint to read it. If interest checks/writing is like this I don't bother to try reading it. I'm not going to ask someone to change their preferred writing style/aesthetic but I'm not going to force my eyes either.
Not to mention the horrific colourations of some dialogue. It's not even visible, and genuinely hurts to try and decipher.

It's also absolute hell for those of us who already can't see without help of glasses or contacts or something

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back