Other Roleplay Pet peeves

I often think about the posts I need to write throughout the day. Too many times I've thought of a cool line to put in, but then I get to my computer and every thought leaves my brain. I should start taking more notes when I think of things.

I often think about the posts I need to write throughout the day. Too many times I've thought of a cool line to put in, but then I get to my computer and every thought leaves my brain. I should start taking more notes when I think of things.
I can empathize with that. It's why I am very happy when I joined I had noticed there is a workshop so if I do something I can just throw it in there, or if I'm not at my computer and I'm sketching, I'll write things down in my sketchbook. But still, I am not always with or holding something to take things down and get frustrated when the thoughts leave before I can record them.

It's also absolute hell for those of us who already can't see without help of glasses or contacts or something
I wear glasses and it's still hell for me to read. Those people lose me as a potential partner I guess 🤷‍♀️

I wear glasses and it's still hell for me to read. Those people lose me as a potential partner I guess 🤷‍♀️
Lol same here. Usually wear contacts (sometimes glasses though) and it'd like "well maybe I'd be intereted...if I could see what you're looking for" 😂

A roleplay pet peeve of mine is when guys immediately bring up sex. I am here to escape the pressures of this world, not be brought back in them again.

A roleplay pet peeve of mine is when guys immediately bring up sex. I am here to escape the pressures of this world, not be brought back in them again.

As Willowmere said, ERP is not permitted on RpNation in any form. Please report any instances of anyone actively engaging in ERP content, or trying to solicit ERP from you or others in Interest Checks or other threads if you see it.

Cheers!

You mean I have to *write* a reply before I can *get* a reply? XD Aka I hate when my muse refuses to cooperate when I'm so fully enjoying my partner's writing.

The urge to commit RP necromancy (i.e. making an IC post on a discontinued RP) after a long time of drawing a blank. I mean, come on braincells, why couldn't you come up with anything long ago? 😩

Currently in an RP on another site with about 4 active, engaging members and another 3 who are totally passive, not interacting with anyone, and contributing nothing to drive the story forward. Our NPCs are more lively.

I get not wanting to be the main character or anything, but the three passive players may as well not even be in the RP. We throw them big juicy posts to interact with, a million different ways they could take it and play, and instead they just say “Ok,” and have their character stand off to the side to watch like voyeurs lol. You can lead a horse to water and all that I guess. Its almost to the point where I’m just not even going to try interacting with them because I they just go “Yes,” and wander off. Maddening!

Currently in an RP on another site with about 4 active, engaging members and another 3 who are totally passive, not interacting with anyone, and contributing nothing to drive the story forward. Our NPCs are more lively.

I get not wanting to be the main character or anything, but the three passive players may as well not even be in the RP. We throw them big juicy posts to interact with, a million different ways they could take it and play, and instead they just say “Ok,” and have their character stand off to the side to watch like voyeurs lol. You can lead a horse to water and all that I guess. Its almost to the point where I’m just not even going to try interacting with them because I they just go “Yes,” and wander off. Maddening!
meanwhile, you have people not in any RPs that just wish they could get some activity going their way. lol

While I'm a sucker for roleplays that involve super powers one thing that completely takes the winds out of my sail when it comes to them is people insisting of giving their characters these overly complex powers that lets them do a dozen different things.

It's especially annoying since most super power roleplays limits people to one power per character, but I digress.

It annoys me for a couple of different reason:

One: It makes it incredibly difficult to find a good niche for my own character.

I mean, if one character is able to use light manipulation to shoot lasers, create illusions, enhance their physical abilities, turn invisible, teleport and heal (yes, this is referencing a real character I saw once) what type of character could I possibly make that won't instantly be overshadowed? And what type of character will the other four members of the roleplay make?

Two: It's near impossible to balance for the GM.

While I'm a sucker for roleplays that involve super powers one thing that completely takes the winds out of my sail when it comes to them is people insisting of giving their characters these overly complex powers that lets them do a dozen different things.

It's especially annoying since most super power roleplays limits people to one power per character, but I digress.

One: It makes it incredibly difficult to find a good niche for my own character.

I mean, if one character is able to use light manipulation to shoot lasers, create illusions, enhance their physical abilities, turn invisible, teleport and heal (yes, this is referencing a real character I saw once) what type of character could I possibly make that won't instantly be overshadowed? And what type of character will the other four members of the roleplay make?

The easiest solution is tell them they don’t get to fight. I do a lot of everyday hero roleplays set in superpowered universes. Where the whole premise is that our characters aren’t going to be getting in snooty bang bang fights with anyone, their gonna be living everyday lives with superpowers.

That has done a better job to chase of power fantasy roleplayers then anything.

Now depending on the premise this can just be something that affects their specific character but either way they do not get to fight. And yeah they’ll throw a tantrum and leave of their own volition.

The easiest solution is tell them they don’t get to fight.
That sort of hinges on the roleplay not being fight centric which it most often is.

Personally, I find that the easiest solution is just to put your foot down and tell them to go back to the drawing board.

That sort of hinges on the roleplay not being fight centric which it most often is.

Personally, I find that the easiest solution is just to put your foot down and tell them to go back to the drawing board.

No you misunderstand I was saying tell them they specifically don’t get to fight.

That their powers are too much for the roleplay so to make it fair they have to be depowered throughout the roleplay.

Not that no one else is gonna fight. Just their overpowered power fantasy isn’t going to work unless they either agree to tone it down or not participate in the fighting parts of the roleplay.

No you misunderstand I was saying tell them they specifically don’t get to fight..
I mean no offense, but that seems kind of passive aggressive.

If you aren’t going to involve them in them in, for lack of a better word, the "main" part of the roleplay why accept their character in the first place?

I like to RP with what I think of as “yes, and” players, like the improv rule. People who will take what’s going on, acknowledge it, and build upon it. This doesn’t mean that their character won’t disagree with others; you can have conflict and still be a “yes and” player. Above all, they keep they story moving forward.

Nothing kills an RP for me faster than a “no but” player. I don’t think they mean to, as they’re just trying to assert their character’s agency, but they constantly throw a wrench in the plot. They take the scenario and either ignore it so their character can do something totally different, or say “No, that’s a bad idea. Instead this happens,” or, “Actually we should do this instead,” and just run with it. Essentially, they just want to be in charge of the RP, and are constantly trying to change the outcome of other’s actions or alter the story in a way they see fit.

I get that you don’t want to be railroaded by the DM, or you want character’s actions and motivations to be realistic, but like… Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. When there’s an obvious path forward in the story, don’t bring everything to a screeching halt for your character to say, “Erm, actually, we’re going to side with the evil army now because I think they have a good point.”

This is why when I host these types of RP's I will scrutinize player's potential powers pretty heavily. I don't do it to be a nitpicky dick either, but to ensure there's balance and room for everyone in the RP to comfortably play a role. Like, if one character has powers capable of doing everything then that steals the spotlight from everyone else.

A personal example I will use here is a character I created once who could absorb energy and then use that energy to create explosions of varying size and power. As you can imagine this sort of power cannot be utilized in all situations, but it's extremely useful in others. These are the sorts of powers that are best in these RP's I think since they can still be useful, but not in all situations which does allow characters with other abilities to step up and fill the gaps.

I honestly think I’m done with roleplay, which is sad because it has been such a major part of my life.

Someone just told me I am too, “fast paced” when not once did I bother them for a reply and we hadn’t even started writing yet, we had only done bios.

I can’t deal with others lacking enthusiasm for roleplays that I always seem to have too much of.

I honestly think I’m done with roleplay, which is sad because it has been such a major part of my life.

Someone just told me I am too, “fast paced” when not once did I bother them for a reply and we hadn’t even started writing yet, we had only done bios.

I can’t deal with others lacking enthusiasm for roleplays that I always seem to have too much of.
Just do slowrp

In response to the above, said person probably didn't want to RP with you and needed a way out instead of being honest about not being interested. Especially if you were really just taking your time and not responding frequently. It's not something I would give up RP for imo. There are people out there that you'll write really well with. Sometimes you just have to dig through the really bad ones to find the really good ones.

I wish I had more enthusiasm. I seem to have the opposite problem in that I lack enthusiasm. It's difficult to even get me excited about RP ideas, especially recently. When I do manage to get excited it doesn't always last long either due to my ADHD attention span.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back