Roleplay Pet Peeves

When someone hasn't replied in weeks and then replies to you with (Sorry I haven't replied in so long blah blah blah) and then proceeds to not reply like it's my turn to make a response.
Idk, if someone messages me saying "sorry I haven't replied in a while, this is why, and I'll try to get a response up soon" then, so long as they don't ghost me, I don't mind. (And even if they do ghost me I try to be understanding since I've accidentally ghosted plenty of times myself.) So yeah I don't mind that too much. I get that life gets crazy, or even sometimes, motivation just dies.

Idk, if someone messages me saying "sorry I haven't replied in a while, this is why, and I'll try to get a response up soon" then, so long as they don't ghost me, I don't mind. (And even if they do ghost me I try to be understanding since I've accidentally ghosted plenty of times myself.) So yeah I don't mind that too much. I get that life gets crazy, or even sometimes, motivation just dies.
No, see here is what I mean. I don't mind that you apologize for not replying the entire time, I don't mind that you haven't replied it's that they will reply on the RP instead of OOC to tell me this, literally see it's their turn and will literally be waiting for me to reply when they can clearly see it's their turn.

No, see here is what I mean. I don't mind that you apologize for not replying the entire time, I don't mind that you haven't replied it's that they will reply on the RP instead of OOC to tell me this, literally see it's their turn and will literally be waiting for me to reply when they can clearly see it's their turn.
Oh yeah that's definitely a pain.
I prefer to keep OOC discussion in a thread entirely separate from the RP itself, and it's... annoying when people do that kind of thing, expecting you to reply...
Now that I think about it, that happened to me once a few years ago. Ugh

I hate having to hand hold someone. Constantly.

I get having a mental block but if after most posts, you're drawing a blank then we have a problem. Even worse if we already brainstormed and were on the same page. Supposedly. Like, be proactive as a partner. If you're not sure where to go it makes me question how into the story you are. I don't want you to struggle or find the RP a chore.

So when I get someone who struggles with plotting or posting, it becomes a headache.

A little pet peeve that has been getting to me lately is people calling a setting or vague idea a "plot" in rp searches. Maybe I am just confused, but I don't consider things like, "a rp set in ancient Rome" or "a universe where everyone has tails" a plot. Like, what's the goal of the story? Why is x important?? It's fine to say, "I want to rp something involving shapeshifting cats" or whatever, but don't call that a plot.

A little pet peeve that has been getting to me lately is people calling a setting or vague idea a "plot" in rp searches. Maybe I am just confused, but I don't consider things like, "a rp set in ancient Rome" or "a universe where everyone has tails" a plot. Like, what's the goal of the story? Why is x important?? It's fine to say, "I want to rp something involving shapeshifting cats" or whatever, but don't call that a plot.

It could mean they have a plot upon request for "Rp set in Ancient Rome". I mean I tend to just bullet list my interests and put (have plot) next to whatever ones I have a plot for. But it could be they're using "have plots" as short hand for that.

It could mean they have a plot upon request for "Rp set in Ancient Rome". I mean I tend to just bullet list my interests and put (have plot) next to whatever ones I have a plot for. But it could be they're using "have plots" as short hand for that.
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about someone who says, "okay, my plot is two people living on the moon. Any takers?" without any indication that there is any more to it. That isn't a plot so much as an idea that needs expansion, but it's not advertised as such. That's the part that annoys me a little.

I've got one, and before this attracts a howling storm of people, I wish to make something clear.

I don't have a problem with what people choose to do with their characters. It's their character.

People who have characters that are an unusual gender/sexual identity but who don't allow your character to be critical of that, even when they would be in context.

For example:

I have this one OC, who is basically a wizard Nazi. She's arrogant, she believes in racial purity, she's homophobic, she's pretty racist, along with a whole bunch of other things.

I'll be role playing with somebody, and their character will come out as pansexual for example. And they expect this racist, homophobic character to be accepting of this. Sorry, but when you have a character that pretty much agrees with the enslavement of an entire group of people because of their birth, they aren't likely to accept any sexuality other than straight. I have had this work, where the two have become good friends first and the other one has started to convince her not be a Nazi before coming out, but the response is usually hostile even if she regrets it later. So its not like you can't role play with this character unless you're a straight white male, but it's going to cause friction.

The problems continue when your partner falls into the mindset of - your character is prejudiced so you must be too. No. My own personal opinions are almost irrelevant because I'm playing a character. Are we seriously going to start berating actors because they play prejudiced characters? No, of course not. This isn't much different.

If you are going to make a character, especially one that goes against social norms, don't scream if other characters criticize it in the story. There's a difference between what a persons character thinks and what the author does.

Last edited:
I've got one, and before this attracts a howling storm of people, I wish to make something clear.

I don't have a problem with what people choose to do with their characters. It's their character.

People who have characters that are an unusual gender/sexual identity but who don't allow your character to be critical of that, even when they would be in context.

For example:

I have this one OC, who is basically a wizard Nazi. She's arrogant, she believes in racial purity, she's homophobic, she's pretty racist, along with a whole bunch of other things.

I'll be role playing with somebody, and their character will come out as pansexual for example. And they expect this racist, homophobic character to be accepting of this. Sorry, but when you have a character that pretty much agrees with the enslavement of an entire group of people because of their birth, they aren't likely to accept any sexuality other than straight. I have had this work, where the two have become good friends first and the other one has started to convince her not be a Nazi before coming out, but the response is usually hostile even if she regrets it later. So its not like you can't role play with this character unless you're a straight white male, but it's going to cause friction.

The problems continue when your partner falls into the mindset of - your character is prejudiced so you must be too. No. My own personal opinions are almost irrelevant because I'm playing a character. Are we seriously going to start berating actors because they play prejudiced characters? No, of course not. This isn't much different.

If you are going to make a character, especially one that goes against social norms, don't scream if other characters criticize it in the story. There's a difference between what a persons character thinks and what the author does.
YES THANK YOU

Strawberry Ink Strawberry Ink Fair enough that is a little frustrating.

Dark lord steel Dark lord steel see funny thing I had this happen in a roleplay where the entire plot was two characters having a political disagreement over mutant rights. My character was Pro and the other character was Anti. And I mean it was pretty much from jump we picked sides and our job was to argue them through the characters. And over and over again the person would get defensive because they felt like I was attacking their character when I would be like "No this is how my character feels because that is the personality she was written with. I don't disagree but my character isn't me."

I hate when people deliberatively leave out important details regarding the RP's plot out of the interest check.

Like for example, a few months back I joined a Legend of Korra RP whose interest check went something along the lines of "The plot will just be the same as every other LoK rp." but the second the roleplay went up the GM informed us that the actual plot would be about how people could suddenly bend more than one element and that now there also were shadow- and lightbenders walking around.

I'm rather new to the site and have plenty of horror stories to share, so I'll start with the worst one.

Religion is a thorny topic, so I generally avoid it unless we're talking a universe with angels and demons. Even then, I tend to make my own rules/guidelines instead of following any religious canon. So, a guy approached me once on a different site and asked me for a roleplay. We hashed it out and things seemed great - He was playing a soldier and I was playing a person protesting the war. At one point his character started talking about religious beliefs and I started getting uncomfortable. I dont remember exactly what he said, but i sent him an OOC note expressing my discomfort and if we could move on from the scene. I didn't think I was being unreasonable, because his character was basically preaching to mine for multiple responses after she expressed she was an atheist. His religious devotion wasn't mentioned in the character profile, otherwise I would have expected it.

So he goes off. And I mean goes OFF. He sends me a paragraph about how he was beaten up in real life by people chanting that god isn't real and that they broke his wrist, but he still totally beat them up afterwards. Think about any self-insert power trip and turn it up to 100%, and that was the post. I think I saved the rant because I thought it was hilarious - if anyone's interested I can try and find it.

I'm rather new to the site and have plenty of horror stories to share, so I'll start with the worst one.

Religion is a thorny topic, so I generally avoid it unless we're talking a universe with angels and demons. Even then, I tend to make my own rules/guidelines instead of following any religious canon. So, a guy approached me once on a different site and asked me for a roleplay. We hashed it out and things seemed great - He was playing a soldier and I was playing a person protesting the war. At one point his character started talking about religious beliefs and I started getting uncomfortable. I dont remember exactly what he said, but i sent him an OOC note expressing my discomfort and if we could move on from the scene. I didn't think I was being unreasonable, because his character was basically preaching to mine for multiple responses after she expressed she was an atheist. His religious devotion wasn't mentioned in the character profile, otherwise I would have expected it.

So he goes off. And I mean goes OFF. He sends me a paragraph about how he was beaten up in real life by people chanting that god isn't real and that they broke his wrist, but he still totally beat them up afterwards. Think about any self-insert power trip and turn it up to 100%, and that was the post. I think I saved the rant because I thought it was hilarious - if anyone's interested I can try and find it.
Can you please find it?

Can you please find it?
Your wish is my command. Rereading it, I'm pretty sure he was being homophobic or something(?) I wish I had saved that conversation.

You choose to be offended by it. People cal me horrible things all the time because I'm not afraid to not agree with that lifestyle choice. I don't let the names bother me, because I know that they are not true. I was attacked, literally attacked by an atheist group that were wearing scream costumes as I was walking home from college a month or so ago. I broke one of their arms and sent the other four home with broken wrists and ribs. I never got a look at them because they threw sand in my eyes and ran away like cowards, and I still have not let that stop me from being the way I am.

Your wish is my command. Rereading it, I'm pretty sure he was being homophobic or something(?) I wish I had saved that conversation.

You choose to be offended by it. People cal me horrible things all the time because I'm not afraid to not agree with that lifestyle choice. I don't let the names bother me, because I know that they are not true. I was attacked, literally attacked by an atheist group that were wearing scream costumes as I was walking home from college a month or so ago. I broke one of their arms and sent the other four home with broken wrists and ribs. I never got a look at them because they threw sand in my eyes and ran away like cowards, and I still have not let that stop me from being the way I am.
Holy f-wow.

StraySheep StraySheep I follow a blog that tackles a lot of toxic people in the manosphere (really toxic and racist misogynists in short) and they do similar things. They will go into histrionics about feeeeemales and our wicked affronts to the male gender. And they describe everything like it's a badly summarized plot to a B-Movie. Like real life human beings do not act like this. That whole spoiler thing, like I'm pretty sure that's just a badly paraphrased scene from one of the God's Not Dead movies.

That person who tries to RP with you in the request thread. Like just stop, just no, you're not about to try and bogart your way in past everyone else before I can assess rather you're what I'm looking for or not.

Got a new peeve, or I guess just fleshing a peeve out I have no idea, I'm bored:
I have almost nearly no problem with people who self-insert or write OP characters. Why? Because if you're an excellent writer or have fantastic characters, you can kind of get away with literally anything. I've roleplayed with a core crew for a long time who have done this from time to time, I have no problems with it.

That being said: sometimes I cringe. I cringe hard. Nobody I roleplay with does this, and if they have in the past we don't tend to gel for very long. But a peeve is that if you are writing, for example, a very smart character, but they don't make smart decisions, or their logic doesn't make sense, or you're really reaching in terms of what you, yourself, as a writer know, it's very obvious.

Almost anything can be bent. Rules can and should be flexed or broken when it makes the character better, the story better, the interactions better, whatever. Go crazy and go big if you can, throw curve-balls, write the good writes, I'm a fan and will support it.

However, if you break the narrative by being ill-equipped to wield OP stuff, then I'm just at a loss, man. I don't even care if you have a Mary Sue as long as you write them well, I don't. Really.

I get we're all here to make something great and to have fun. This is when judgey-judgey Basilisk comes out to rear her head, however. It's a trait I personally don't like in myself, this 'judgey-judgey' nature. But for another example, if you're going to write a God, I need to believe you can handle writing a God, or the immersion is lost.

Maybe that's the peeve: immersion. I can't suspend my disbelief in a 9000 year old Eldritch God Dragony thing when you don't have a somewhat decent grasp on creating the narrative around expressing their power.

Grow, read, try new things. Get to the point where others can believe your character exists in time and space and what they can do in the Char Sheet is reflected within your writing. Spin that dank narrative, famola. But don't come out of the gates hot with an edgelord character that you can't possibly wield. Take the time to get better first.

Cliches and Tropes are literally fine, if done well. But you gotta do them well, famola. Be your bad self. Roll with the awesomesauce. But you gotta get awesome before you make that sauce.

Saw this thread and thought I'd drop mine as basic as it is.

I hate it when people use "would" in their actions. It just makes the whole response jarring for me to read.

A tiny, tiny, tiny pet peeve... When you have in your Interest Check at the end, “PM me if you’re interested” and someone responds in the comments with “Cool, I’m interested. PM me.”

Like ??? I asked if you showed interest for you to PM first?

I perfectly understand why some newcomers who can’t PM yet ask me to PM them first, but is it really weird that I think it’s kind of lazy to expect the other person to contact you when they set the expectation for you to contact them? I really don’t know why this irks me as much as it does.

I don’t like being petty and just never PMing the other person when they do that, but it sets a sort of negative precedent when I do have to draw up that PM to start it off. I don’t know, I’m weird.

A tiny, tiny, tiny pet peeve... When you have in your Interest Check at the end, “PM me if you’re interested” and someone responds in the comments with “Cool, I’m interested. PM me.”

Like ??? I asked if you showed interest for you to PM first?

I perfectly understand why some newcomers who can’t PM yet ask me to PM them first, but is it really weird that I think it’s kind of lazy to expect the other person to contact you when they set the expectation for you to contact them? I really don’t know why this irks me as much as it does.

I don’t like being petty and just never PMing the other person when they do that, but it sets a sort of negative precedent when I do have to draw up that PM to start it off. I don’t know, I’m weird.
I call people out when they do that. I legit say “You didn’t read my fine print, because I told you to PM me.” Then when they send a PM I tell them “Sorry, you didn’t read the fine print, I’m not going to RP with you.” I don’t regret doing it one bit.

Discord only rps. Like, I'm fine with it. It's cool. You do you. But sometimes it gets on my nerves because it's like, I don't have discord and I'm not getting it and your rp idea is so cool goddammit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back