Roleplay Pet Peeves

A tiny, tiny, tiny pet peeve... When you have in your Interest Check at the end, “PM me if you’re interested” and someone responds in the comments with “Cool, I’m interested. PM me.”

Like ??? I asked if you showed interest for you to PM first?

I perfectly understand why some newcomers who can’t PM yet ask me to PM them first, but is it really weird that I think it’s kind of lazy to expect the other person to contact you when they set the expectation for you to contact them? I really don’t know why this irks me as much as it does.

I don’t like being petty and just never PMing the other person when they do that, but it sets a sort of negative precedent when I do have to draw up that PM to start it off. I don’t know, I’m weird.
I understand it's kind of like when you go on an to request thread with someone who wants to do a specific type of to that they asked for but when you agree for some reason they want you to make the RP. Not because they talked to you and felt that you would make a much better to than them just because and I'm like, but you're the one who asked so why do I have to make it?

I call people out when they do that. I legit say “You didn’t read my fine print, because I told you to PM me.” Then when they send a PM I tell them “Sorry, you didn’t read the fine print, I’m not going to RP with you.” I don’t regret doing it one bit.

Not gonna lie this just seems unnecessarily pedantic. People skim. I skim. I'm a great RP member. Once I get the idea of the thread I'll typically reply with a comment. Doubly so if the poster put up something with thousands of words. I'm not gonna sit here and read a thousand year time line of your universe... Once I get the basics I'm either replying or not.

And if that "PM me" part is after the time line, for example, then I'll probably miss it.

But hey, it's all preferences. If you want super-readers then maybe that's a good filter.

Not gonna lie this just seems unnecessarily pedantic. People skim. I skim. I'm a great RP member. Once I get the idea of the thread I'll typically reply with a comment. Doubly so if the poster put up something with thousands of words. I'm not gonna sit here and read a thousand year time line of your universe... Once I get the basics I'm either replying or not.

And if that "PM me" part is after the time line, for example, then I'll probably miss it.

But hey, it's all preferences. If you want super-readers then maybe that's a good filter.
Well, I usually bold the “send a PM” part. But yeah, preferences are preferences.

Edit: I reread my original post: realized that it sounds like I reject everyone. That wasn’t my intention. It just depends if I’m in a bad mood or not. I don’t reject most people.

Last edited:
When someone vanishes on my without so much as a word. I can understand suddenly getting busy or sick or whatever. But it kinda hurts when someone just absconds to another dimension, even more so when they’re active with other people. I understand having more motivation for one or more rps than another during a posting day or whatever and being more active with other people but like, if that isn’t the case it feels like I’m being ignored.

Which brings me to another pet peeve. I don’t like being ignored. I’ll send a pm with an interest in a post and a week goes by without a response, WHEN I see that the person is online and interacting with others. I can understand being busy and unable to respond right away. But being online and not responding to an interest pm I’ve sent feels majorly like I’m being ignored and I hate it. Seriously, if you don’t want to rp with me just say so.

It also kinda bothers me when I deliberately bring something to be noticed by my partner and have them completely gloss over it. I can understand losing it in longer posts or not knowing how the react but I put them there for reason. However, this wouldn’t be something that bothers me so much I’d leave an rp. I’d just sulk to myself and be a bitter little post gnome lol

It also kinda bothers me when I deliberately bring something to be noticed by my partner and have them completely gloss over it. I can understand losing it in longer posts or not knowing how the react but I put them there for reason. However, this wouldn’t be something that bothers me so much I’d leave an rp. I’d just sulk to myself and be a bitter little post gnome lol

How do you mean exactly? Like do you bold it in text or do you tell them in the OOC - Hey when Character X does [this] it's important. Could your character pick up on it please, it builds into my next point?

I think I get what you're saying. This usually happens to me when I'm doubling. (which is why I don't like to double; I'm okay with playing multiple characters, but I feel like there's a difference between doubling and RPing multiple characters... that's a ramble for a different day.)
It's usually pretty obvious when my RP partner doesn't care about one of their characters very much but loves another one. Like they put hardly any effort into writing for their character, A, but they're obsessed with their character, B.
It's really frustrating when I post something very important and dramatic for one of my characters that their Character A needs to react to, but Character A barely does. Sometimes even not at all. But then they write some long thing for Character B because it's clear that's who they really care about.

when people can’t/refuse to separate the character from the person who’s roleplaying them is one of my biggest pet peeves. just please- stop it.

• When you and an user are both hyped for the plot/idea/characters you've made and they are so excited for the RP, but suddenly stop replying after the first four or five posts and never messages you again. Has happened more times than I'd liked to.
  • People getting mad because of the lenght reply. Yeah, I get it, I wouldn't want a one liner if I sent a lot of paragraphs, but isn't it a little bit exaggerated when you write a hundred-words paragraph and your partner tells you it isn't enough? Well.
  • Every character having an angsty life.
  • People who only want to play one type of character (generally female/sub/uke)
  • I don't mind one liners when it's a chat RP, but... please.
  • Not doing enough research for the characters. I mean, if you're going to play a canon, then please know how to play it.
  • Lack of action in RPs. Sometimes it seems it can't get slower.

At the moment those are the only ones I can think about.
I've been ditched twice first time cause our writint styles were differnt ecwn after she claimed she was ok with it i made attempts to improve past vs present tense etc. Then she stopped posting and i had message repeatedly or else she would have ghosted me. The 2nd time we hadn't started rp and theu said its not gonna work i hate that.

when people can’t/refuse to separate the character from the person who’s roleplaying them is one of my biggest pet peeves. just please- stop it.

Also people that put like - Seeking X gender for (Pairing). Like I know most of the time they mean - I want a partner who plays X gender. But the way it's written seems like they basically want a real life X gender to be their partner for essentially dating via collaborative story telling.

Also people that put like - Seeking X gender for (Pairing). Like I know most of the time they mean - I want a partner who plays X gender. But the way it's written seems like they basically want a real life X gender to be their partner for essentially dating via collaborative story telling.
Yeah that’s annoying and it generally makes me avoid those types of search threads. A lot of the time people do just mean that they want someone to play X gender for them, but in that case they should phrase it better.
And sometimes they actually do want a real person of the opposite sex to RP with them, because they’ve somehow managed to mistake this place for a dating site??

I can't stand it when people take things too personally or get stressed about the RP. If it's stressful, don't do it? I love to write. I love to plot. I don't understand the people who act like it's such a chore when you're here by choice and this is supposed to be fun!

6'4+ tall OCs with super strength who are masters at x because of popularity and not rped merit (which is like busting a nut early), has a dozen different spells and some ridiculous power like intangibility. Real creative.

6'4+ tall OCs with super strength who are masters at x because of popularity and not rped merit (which is like busting a nut early), has a dozen different spells and some ridiculous power like intangibility. Real creative.

Wait intangibility? Like the ability to phase through objects? Why would you pair that with super strength? You can't hit things if your intangible. Unless they meant invulnerable and maybe got confused?

Wait intangibility? Like the ability to phase through objects? Why would you pair that with super strength? You can't hit things if your intangible. Unless they meant invulnerable and maybe got confused?
So they can stop phasing for 0.2 seconds to hit you. That's beside the point, though. The effort for everyone to be a unique powerhouse just results in 99% of the population being in the same snowflake category. And again, lol real creative.

So they can stop phasing for 0.2 seconds to hit you. That's beside the point, though. The effort for everyone to be a unique powerhouse just results in 99% of the population being in the same snowflake category. And again, lol real creative.

I dunno man I actually think you made a really interesting character here. The whole strong AND intangible thing is actually really creative.

That said I know what you were trying to say, you think that people that tack on powers willy nilly are making their characters cliche and stereotypical.

I agree, if you're going to just invent powers out your ass at least be creative about it.

(now I am going to go back to thinking way to hard on how/why you would combine intangibility and super strength. )

I dunno man I actually think you made a really interesting character here. The whole strong AND intangible thing is actually really creative.

That said I know what you were trying to say, you think that people that tack on powers willy nilly are making their characters cliche and stereotypical.

I agree, if you're going to just invent powers out your ass at least be creative about it.

(now I am going to go back to thinking way to hard on how/why you would combine intangibility and super strength. )
Naw dude I mean intangibility you can control like a switch. You've basically now got a character who never needs to take hits and can just punch whenever he wants. But knowing the cliche, he also has a magic weapon that can destroy souls idk

Also people that put like - Seeking X gender for (Pairing).

yeah, that’s personally never bothered me. i’ve never looked at one of those and thought that they meant they were searching for a literal female.
i was just talking about the sort of roleplayers that think if you make an OC that’s racist/sexist/has has X political view then that means you automatically have those ideologies as well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Naw dude I mean intangibility you can control like a switch. You've basically now got a character who never needs to take hits and can just punch whenever he wants. But knowing the cliche, he also has a magic weapon that can destroy souls idk

I Understood the idea you were going for, I just think you accidentally came up with a really creative concept as well. I mean whether the hypothetical you are complaining about does anything creative with it doesn’t change the fact that the basic combination is actually pretty interesting. You just have to execute them well.

yeah, that’s personally never bothered me. i’ve never looked at one of those and thought that they meant they were searching for a literal female.
i was just talking about the sort of roleplayers that think if you make an OC that’s racist/sexist/has has X political view then that means you automatically have those ideologies as well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oh some of them are. It’s why the phrasing throws me off because there are people that mean it specifically the way it’s written.

That said I got your point as well I was just adding my similar gripe to it.

ya'll just need to chill and listen to some good tunes :P

ya'll just need to chill and listen to some good tunes :P

Excuse you we are chilling, out here minding our bidness trash talking with our friends.

(Lol seriously though it’s all in good fun, we aren’t harassing anyone just blowing off steam and chatting with each other)

I have one! When people choose to be an all-powerful race of pseudo-gods that is the last of there kind. I don't mean one of the last, I mean the only one in existence.

Can be done well I suppose- but never seen it, and just a personal peeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back