Roleplay Pet Peeves

Real life faceclaims.

I can understand it if it's a fandom roleplay and your character is from a live action movie but otherwise it just makes you look like a creep.

care to explain this a little bit more? i've actually always personally thought it was creepy to use anime girls for face claims, so i'm curious.
Well let's look at it this way.

You post a picture of yourself on the internet.

Do you really want people to use it to represent a character they made up?

Like, dude, they could be stalking you for pics for all you know.

It's just.... it's unsettling.

care to explain this a little bit more? i've actually always personally thought it was creepy to use anime girls for face claims, so i'm curious.

Personally I find the idea of taking pictures of real people without permission a little creepy. That said I feel the same way about art which is why I use public domain images and doll generators.

You post a picture of yourself on the internet.

ahh, okay. when you put it that way, i definitely can see where you're coming from. i agree, the idea of someone stalking the average person on facebook and using their pictures without consent is a little unsettling, which is why i've never done that before.
do you feel the same way about using actors/models as face claims or references?

ahh, okay. when you put it that way, i definitely can see where you're coming from. i agree, the idea of someone stalking the average person on facebook and using their pictures without consent is a little unsettling, which is why i've never done that before.
do you feel the same way about using actors/models as face claims or references?
A bit, yeah. For more or less the same reasons. But also because someone describing their character as looking like x actor sounds like something out of a Marry Sue fic.

Where does the line stop, exactly? Public domain images are still people who might think it's creepy, anime is either made by an artist or company, regular art is still made by someone, exactly where do you draw the line between what's creepy and what isn't? And if you dare make your character attractive, boom, Mary Sue from what I understand.

Where does the line stop, exactly? Public domain images are still people who might think it's creepy, anime is either made by an artist or company, regular art is still made by someone, exactly where do you draw the line between what's creepy and what isn't? And if you dare make your character attractive, boom, Mary Sue from what I understand.

Public domain are images that have been licensed to be used for whatever reason someone wants. So my thought is if you put the image up in the public domain then you had to be comfortable with it being used in whatever way someone sees fit.

As for doll generators the whole reason those are made is because the artists wants you to use them to create characters. Typically all they ask in return is that you link back so other people can use the generator as well.

So the reason I don’t find these creepy is the artist/individual is actively aware their work/picture will be used by the public. Thus they are unlikely to be offended or creeped out by someone using their image/work in roleplays.

Last edited:
Nah. Only if you're character is attractive cause they look exactly like an actor for no explained reason. Or if you constantly mention how attractive your character is every post.

i was just curious! i'm going to keep using real life references for my oc's because that's what works for me, but if someone ever happens to call me a creep for doing so, i'll at least understand where they're coming from now, LOL. thanks for taking the time to explain your view to me. :)

Public domain are images that have been licensed to be used for whatever reason someone wants. So my thought is if you put the image up in the public domain then you had to be comfortable with it being used in whatever way someone sees fit.

As for doll generators the whole reason those are made is because the artists wants you to use them to create characters. Typically all they ask in return is that you link back so other people can use the generator as well.

So the reason I don’t find these creepy is the artist/individual is actively aware their work/picture will be used by the public. Thus they are unlikely to be offended or creeped out by someone using their image/work in roleplays.
Doll generators sure because you're practically the artist, but I have a rather sizable Instagram following and, technically, the pictures I post aren't mine anymore. People can actually print out and sell my photos if they want. Is it creepy? Yes. The point is though, how different is that from you taking someone's public domain pic? In both scenarios, we're aware that what we post can be used for anything. I don't like it, but that doesn't mean one is creepier than the other.

Nah. Only if you're character is attractive cause they look exactly like an actor for no explained reason. Or if you constantly mention how attractive your character is every post.
There needs to be a reason for other universes? Was there a Brad Pitt in in 1675? Sure, describing your character's attractiveness could be conceited but there's a lot more on the checklist for something to qualify as a Mary Sue.

But every other post?

And no there wasn't but there wasn't exactly that much hairgel either. Nor a beard trimmer capable of trimming his masterfully trimmed beard to such masterful-ness.

But every other post?

And no there wasn't but there wasn't exactly that much hairgel either. Nor a beard trimmer capable of trimming his masterfully trimmed beard to such masterful-ness.
"But every other post" is not an answer / refutation to what I just said. And last I checked, Pitt does not have a beard. If you're reaching to some time he had one in 1970 - 2019 and assuming that's what I'm referencing, don't.

Doll generators sure because you're practically the artist, but I have a rather sizable Instagram following and, technically, the pictures I post aren't mine anymore. People can actually print out and sell my photos if they want. Is it creepy? Yes. The point is though, how different is that from you taking someone's public domain pic? In both scenarios, we're aware that what we post can be used for anything. I don't like it, but that doesn't mean one is creepier than the other.

There needs to be a reason for other universes? Was there a Brad Pitt in in 1675? Sure, describing your character's attractiveness could be conceited but there's a lot more on the checklist for something to qualify as a Mary Sue.

Creepy is in the eye of the beholder. What you find creepy isn’t going to be the same as me and vice versa.

It’s just a pet peeve honestly, not a huge deal.

"But every other post" is not an answer / refutation to what I just said. And last I checked, Pitt does not have a beard. If you're reaching to some time he had one in 1970 - 2019 and assuming that's what I'm referencing, don't.
Mustache! I mean mustache! Or, at least, that's what his wikipedia entry shows. (His hair is super slicked back, though. Hair gel. Lot's of it. Probably.).

And if you want me to rephrase what I said, fine.

Mentioning how attractive your character is in every post makes you look like a jackass and, to me, is a sure sign of more Mary Sue traits following.

Mustache! I mean mustache! Or, at least, that's what his wikipedia entry shows. (His hair is super slicked back, though. Hair gel. Lot's of it. Probably.).

And if you want me to rephrase what I said, fine.

Mentioning how attractive your character is in every post makes you look like a jackass and, to me, is a sure sign of more Mary Sue traits following.
Following that logic, you have to explain why your character looks like anime in an rp with literally any other style. Or we can all just save the trouble and give each other some principle of charity. How did describing character attractiveness even get involved? I thought we were talking about using real life faceclaims.

Woah! Hey! I never, ever said I use exclusively Anime faceclaims!

Yes I do use them but only when it's appropriate. I'll use anything so long as it isn't real life.

Woah! Hey! I never, ever said I use exclusively Anime faceclaims!

Yes I do use them but only when it's appropriate. I'll use anything so long as it isn't real life.
I didn't say you did. The point is that there are a lot of cases where you'd have to "explain" why a character looks the way they do. Or, again, players can just give each other principle of charity.

Reminds me of another pet peeve: People assuming that there are only two types of face claims: Anime and Real Life.

There's non-anime art out there, guys.

This isn't directed at anybody in particular.

I didn't say you did. The point is that there are a lot of cases where you'd have to "explain" why a character looks the way they do. Or, again, players can just give each other principle of charity.
Okay, you win. My opinion's not changed, I still don't like it, but you win.

Doll generators sure because you're practically the artist, but I have a rather sizable Instagram following and, technically, the pictures I post aren't mine anymore. People can actually print out and sell my photos if they want. Is it creepy?

Also an issue I just realized as I was reading back through this. A picture on Instagram is not in the public domain. Public domain is a specific license that is either placed on a material whose copyright has run out (as in some books) or it is a material that is posted with a specific licence that allows that work to be redistributed at will by the public.

A good example is I use this particular site https://unsplash.com/ which has a very specific license attached to all photos submitted to that site. (https://unsplash.com/license) This license specifically states that all the photos on the site are posted with the knowledge that they can be used by the public in whatever way they see fit.

So this is very different than someone taking photos you put on Instagram and printing them out. Unless you specifically said that your photos are free for the public to use in whatever way they saw fit than those people are stealing your photos.

Now you might not necessarily care if they do that but it isn't at all the same thing as using a proper public domain image. In a proper public domain image the artist is fully aware and has given permission for their photos to be used in whatever way the public sees fit. This is why I don't consider them creepy, if someone says "Yeah go ahead and do whatever" than I'm not being creepy if I take them at their word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back