Roleplay Pet Peeves

I've had 3 different people spam me with PMs (not here, on another site I use) in the span of a few hours because I didn't get back to them in a timely manner. I even made it clear some days I would be too busy to get to messages and I want my partners to accept a slower pace. But then these people will send me one message...and then another and then another and if they haven't heard back in a certain amount of time, they feel personally attacked and ask if I'm even still interested or around.

Like come on.

I get you're excited. Great.

But I have a life.

If I go to bed or go see a movie and come back to my partner losing their damn mind, I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

I don't someone's insecurities throw in my face. If you can't chill for a day or two without hearing from me, I will ignore you on purpose. I mean, it's so rude to just message someone and say 'hello you there?' when it's not even been 12 hours since last contact. I'm busy or I'm lazy. But yeah, it rubs me the wrong way when I get 3-4 messages in a row and then I'm too annoyed to get back to what we were talking about. So yeah, those people who blasted my PMs, you won't be hearing back from me because I find that behavior pretty childish. If it's been a few days, sure check in. But a few hours? Come on now...

And the joys of a person not even bothering to find out if a request thread is available.
"Hi I'm looking for a literate female partner to play a female submissive character think you can help me out with that or should I find someone else?"
That bugs me so much
I've put up search threads in the past (on different sites, since I'm still relatively new to this one), and I've had people message me, clearly ignoring my thread altogether. One time I had someone PM me, asking me if I wanted to do a Warrior Cats RP revolving around the romantic drama between their cats and mine. Apparently there was supposed to be some huge love triangle. All of this was despite the fact that I specifically stated in my thread that I hate animal RPs and I also hate love triangles.

Alright, coming back...

So one thing I have found is one of my biggest pet peeves with character creation is when someone describes their characters as: "not being like other _____"
I have heard the old: "She's not like other girls" too many times and it makes me want to tear my hair out because
1. What's wrong with other girls? Answer: Nothing. But this statement seems to make you think there is something wrong with them.
2. 9/10 that character really isn't unique in anyways
3. It just comes across as arrogant to me.

I just really hate when I find that or something akin to that when someone is describing their characters. It really rubs me the wrong way. Probably to an unreasonable degree, but that is why I am putting it here, lol

Alright, coming back...

So one thing I have found is one of my biggest pet peeves with character creation is when someone describes their characters as: "not being like other _____"
I have heard the old: "She's not like other girls" too many times and it makes me want to tear my hair out because
1. What's wrong with other girls? Answer: Nothing. But this statement seems to make you think there is something wrong with them.
2. 9/10 that character really isn't unique in anyways
3. It just comes across as arrogant to me.

I just really hate when I find that or something akin to that when someone is describing their characters. It really rubs me the wrong way. Probably to an unreasonable degree, but that is why I am putting it here, lol

It's basically telling not showing. Rather than actually making their character unique they'll just tell you they (the character) are. It's the same with my character is the best fighter. Or my character is the most beautiful/handsome. It all boils down to I don't know how to show you XYZ thing so I'm just going to tell it to you instead.

"She's not like other girls"

Without an explanation or qualification, we have no choice but to assume that they mean their character has absolutely nothing in common with other girls (since otherwise we could say they are like other girls in at least one way); therefore, this character must be, at minimum, neither human nor female.

Without an explanation or qualification, we have no choice but to assume that they mean their character has absolutely nothing in common with other girls (since otherwise we could say they are like other girls in at least one way); therefore, this character must be, at minimum, neither human nor female.

That would actually be an interesting set up. If you had them be like say a humanoid nonbinary species that uses female pronouns. Especially if you put them in the typical rom com set up and had them try to navigate gendered expectations they were unfamiliar with.

See this seems like a fun plot. More people should write this.

That would actually be an interesting set up. If you had them be like say a humanoid nonbinary species that uses female pronouns. Especially if you put them in the typical rom com set up and had them try to navigate gendered expectations they were unfamiliar with.

See this seems like a fun plot. More people should write this.

I'm not like other girls (I'm an awakened iron golem)

Controlling my character on any level that doesn't have to do with your powers or your character physically making me do it. I don't care what it is, don't make my character stop so you can catch up with them, don't control their facial expressions, don't make them turn around. Don't do anything with my character.

Last edited by a moderator:
One liners. Writer's block. People who don't read other's post and doesn't want to change when their post contradicts yours and being a goody two shoes, you change yours for the sake of the rp. Rpers who give crazy ideas that doesn't make sense from what I or we are looking for. People who controls other's char without permission.

I'm growing weary of 'shy' characters.

More often than not this means all responses will consist of hand wringing, blushing, stammering and avoiding any and all confrontation or character interaction.

Pairing these kind of oc's with canon characters who are typically aloof and hot headed is a damn nightmare.

Two simple answers

1. Lack of vision or idea is probably up there and can bog down an RP heavily.

2. Lack of detail or length, I'm one for detail and wanting to build something interesting so you know.

This is more a site issue, but there's 0 damage control for shitty gm's, and I'd much rather know if people have enjoyed someone as a gm. I haven't been in a grp that lasted more than a month.

When someone pulls a dick move and holds an RP hostage for personal reasons.

Example: Someone strategically inserts themselves in all the major plot points and makes sure that no one can move on without them or ignore them because they're a big part of the story and a major part of that arc and because they got into an argument with someone they refuse to post until said person either apologizes or gets kicked from the RP because they have a pissy attitude. So now no one can RP even people who have nothing to do with the situation because of your personal grudge against one person, you're taking it out on everyone else who has nothing to do with it.

I remember a really good RP with a great GM that totally went to shit because someone did this, just completely ruined the RP for everyone and the GM had no choice but to shut the RP down because there was absolutely no way to work around it that would have made sense. We asked her to remake it and she said she might if she's not too busy with IRL stuff but this was the most ignorant shit I've ever seen in RP.

When someone pulls a dick move and holds an RP hostage for personal reasons.

Example: Someone strategically inserts themselves in all the major plot points and makes sure that no one can move on without them or ignore them because they're a big part of the story and a major part of that arc and because they got into an argument with someone they refuse to post until said person either apologizes or gets kicked from the RP because they have a pissy attitude. So now no one can RP even people who have nothing to do with the situation because of your personal grudge against one person, you're taking it out on everyone else who has nothing to do with it.

I remember a really good RP with a great GM that totally went to shit because someone did this, just completely ruined the RP for everyone and the GM had no choice but to shut the RP down because there was absolutely no way to work around it that would have made sense. We asked her to remake it and she said she might if she's not too busy with IRL stuff but this was the most ignorant shit I've ever seen in RP.

See when what I see GM's do in this situation that works very well is to kick the player out and then everyone in the group blocks them. If it was on this site that means that their posts will now be made invisible. So I would do this after you have a clear idea of where their character was.

Then when they try to harrass people with tags or pms just go to the staff and say - X person has been removed from this roleplay and is still harrassing the players/gm/me specifically.

Now as to the story itself. Simply replace their character (s) with non-player-character(s). And use these/this non-player-character(s) to move the plot just enough forward that you can get through the current plot moment and then time-skip to a place where everyone can move more easily without relying on a single person to post.

Or write into the rules that if you are kicked out of the roleplay for disruptive behavior your character will be turned into an NPC and killed off.

And while I'm at it, that guy who flirts with every girl that enters an RP and attempts to be in a romantic relationship with them all and instantly tries to fix all their problems and insert themselves into their backstory somehow to try and make and instant connection with them. Like no, you want a relationship them work for thar connection, stop inserting yourself into my backstory.

And while I'm at it, that guy who flirts with every girl that enters an RP and attempts to be in a romantic relationship with them all and instantly tries to fix all their problems and insert themselves into their backstory somehow to try and make and instant connection with them. Like no, you want a relationship them work for thar connection, stop inserting yourself into my backstory.

See that just seems like a creepy stalker and I would have my character talk to law enforcement or something. Or at least inner monologue to themselves about how they should maybe say something about this person that makes their skin crawl. (a lot of my characters are nice fluffy pushovers though not meanies like IRL self.)

Case in point I"m totally passive-aggressively trolling this person who might not even realize they are being uber creepy.

See that just seems like a creepy stalker and I would have my character talk to law enforcement or something. Or at least inner monologue to themselves about how they should maybe say something about this person that makes their skin crawl. (a lot of my characters are nice fluffy pushovers though not meanies like IRL self.)

Case in point I"m totally passive-aggressively trolling this person who might not even realize they are being uber creepy.
Well now that you mention it, that is really creepy but I guess I just found it so annoying that I really didn't think about it.

However I do find it creepy when people start a conversation with me and then just randomly just start rping with me without even talking to me about it first. Like they'll just enter a conversation like.

"H-hi, wow, you're so beautiful" Blusbes and turns away shyly."

Like, what the fuck is that? No, stop it.

Well now that you mention it, that is really creepy but I guess I just found it so annoying that I really didn't think about it.

However I do find it creepy when people start a conversation with me and then just randomly just start rping with me without even talking to me about it first. Like they'll just enter a conversation like.

"H-hi, wow, you're so beautiful" Blusbes and turns away shyly."

Like, what the fuck is that? No, stop it.

Oh yeah I would block them immediately. Unless I specifically request a starter in a search thread you had better not just randomly PM me weird crap like that. Also that too is creepy. IRL would you walk up to a random stranger minding their own business and say that? No. Or at least I hope to god you wouldn't. It's creepy and uncomfortable for that person.

Oh yeah I would block them immediately. Unless I specifically request a starter in a search thread you had better not just randomly PM me weird crap like that. Also that too is creepy. IRL would you walk up to a random stranger minding their own business and say that? No. Or at least I hope to god you wouldn't. It's creepy and uncomfortable for that person.
Like I instantly tell them to stop that like dude that's creepy, what do you want? Talk like a normal person, don't just randomly start rping with me, that's confusing and creepy because like you can't just drop it on someone like that.

Like I instantly tell them to stop that like dude that's creepy, what do you want? Talk like a normal person, don't just randomly start rping with me, that's confusing and creepy because like you can't just drop it on someone like that.
Well you gotta remember alot of socially inept people flock towards roleplaying. It's hust the croud you get yourself into. Luckily the block button is very easy to find and use.

I’m living for this thread

Pet peeve: When someone literally reads THROUGH ALL MY GRAMMAR AND LENGTH RULES and then sends me an unintelligible three-line mess. 🤷‍♀️ Like what the actual fluff?

Had to add this because it happened to me just recently (on another site)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back