• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Robotech - Southern Cross Adventure

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
How had things gotten this bad? Humans had weathered the zentraedi, their super weapon, the Robotech masters.... but this had been too much. This invasion had broken them. Was it that these invid were superior? Or just the straw that broke the camels back.

All of this, all of this was all so surreal. Marlon barely knew how he should be feeling. Angry, yes, sad, yes. Scared? A little. More like anxious. But humans didn't give up so easily. He certainly wasn't going to.

As his tank came to a stop, it dropped the ground abruptly. Sinking a bit into the jungle mud. They were lucky to have gotten this far with the state they were in. It was going to be rough to get them battle ready again... but at least they would still be good for salvage.

Looking at the cache entrance, the gears in his head began turning. Having access to this at all was a godsend. But here in the jungle, well, the jungle ate everything... he could only hope none of the inner rooms were flooded or overgrown.

Before Duenan even mentioned it, Marlon was already unloading his tools and weapons from the tanks storage. "Of course." He said, picking up his tool box. And gave her a salute at the end of her speech. It was the kind of stuff they needed to hear in these hard times. But Marlon knew none of their crew were quiters. They would rally and find a way to turn things around somehow.

"Let's go, Alan." Rykon Rykon

D. Rex D. Rex and Rykon Rykon

Marlon and Alan make their way through the dark passages deep underground to find the power generator and its fuel supply. After a bit of hunting, you do come across a pair of large generators, and see that while they are intact and at first glance appears to be in one piece, it is going to take some time to get them up and running. It is not a tough fix, just one that will take a lot of sweat and elbow grease to make happen. As far as the fuel supply, there are four large tanks of diesel for the generator that are all only half full. Doing some quick calculations, you both agree that assuming that the power supply is run at full speed, you have enough to keep the bunker lit up for the next four months, longer if you ration it out.

Purr Purr and Sherwood Sherwood

Just like the communication center at Anton-17, this bunker has a small command center with a dozen different terminals and communication systems. Without power, though, all this gear is just a bunch of expensive paperweights. After a bit of examination, you find that there is no external antenna currently erected, and with as deep as you are buried, no signals are going to be going in or out until one is put up. There is enough coaxial cable to be able to remote deploy your communications tower up to four miles away from the bunker to be able to keep your location secure, and there are camouflage nets and fake plants that you can use to disguise the antenna to keep it from being visually spotted.

Alan put his nose to the grind, trying to temper blinding fury with constant self assurances that his family made it to the fallout shelter in time. Lord give me the strength and focus to do what needs to be done... Of all the things to happen, yet another extra-terrestrial invasion had been the last thing he wanted to disrupt plans for a peaceful vacation, maybe even retirement.

It was in the brief moment of calm focus, he realized this was merely a second taste of what the Third Heavy had experienced before. Being stuck in Brazil in the midst of a worldwide attack on humanity and yet again finding himself mired in a climate reminiscent of Satan's jockstrap.

"Of all the places to be stranded, can we pick a colder place next time boss?" he groaned. "At least in practical terms, it'd save a lot of power to not have to run so much AC just to prevent heatstrokes." Alan wiped the mounting waterfall of sweat from his brow, dragging out various tools and parts to get the generators back into a proper state of repair to run.

Alan put his nose to the grind, trying to temper blinding fury with constant self assurances that his family made it to the fallout shelter in time. Lord give me the strength and focus to do what needs to be done... Of all the things to happen, yet another extra-terrestrial invasion had been the last thing he wanted to disrupt plans for a peaceful vacation, maybe even retirement.

It was in the brief moment of calm focus, he realized this was merely a second taste of what the Third Heavy had experienced before. Being stuck in Brazil in the midst of a worldwide attack on humanity and yet again finding himself mired in a climate reminiscent of Satan's jockstrap.

"Of all the places to be stranded, can we pick a colder place next time boss?" he groaned. "At least in practical terms, it'd save a lot of power to not have to run so much AC just to prevent heatstrokes." Alan wiped the mounting waterfall of sweat from his brow, dragging out various tools and parts to get the generators back into a proper state of repair to run.

"I didn't choose to build a cache here. But at least we have an air conditioner and not have to hole up in fox holes and leaky bunkers. Besides..." he said wiping his own forehead. "... it isn't like we have to adhere to a dress code."

Marlon was looking over the breaker map, and seeing what parts of the facility he could get away without powering. What Alan said concerned him too. "Youre right.. We could probably go months at operating at full capacity. With the fuel stores we got. But with it just being us, I think we can stretch it out much longer. Limit ourselves to a few rooms, stick to emergency lighting only, that sort of thing. No telling if we will be able to get more fuel, so we need to make it last."

Deunan does her best to conceal her irritation. No power to run the computers, but even if there is, we have to set up a radio tower to be able to hear the outside world from under here. Any other headaches and delays that I need to worry about?

She hits her suit comm and calls out to the team. "We have to remote deploy a radio tower if we want to be able to get signals in here from outside. Nothing too difficult, but it will take us some time to set up and camouflage to keep it from being detected. Alan and Marlon, what's our status on the generators? What do we need to get some juice running to the systems here? Cooper, O'Brien and Neo? How is the inventory list coming? What do we have to work with?"

Deunan does her best to conceal her irritation. No power to run the computers, but even if there is, we have to set up a radio tower to be able to hear the outside world from under here. Any other headaches and delays that I need to worry about?

She hits her suit comm and calls out to the team. "We have to remote deploy a radio tower if we want to be able to get signals in here from outside. Nothing too difficult, but it will take us some time to set up and camouflage to keep it from being detected. Alan and Marlon, what's our status on the generators? What do we need to get some juice running to the systems here? Cooper, O'Brien and Neo? How is the inventory list coming? What do we have to work with?"

"They are in better shape than I expected. Alan is working on getting it started, I'm checking electrical. You should have power in... what do you think, Alan, an hour at latest? But listen up, boss, we only have so much gas. If you are planning for the long haul, then I suggest we use only what we need. Let me know the specific rooms and systems you want powered, I'll route power there and keep the rest off."

Neo replies with, "Well, we just got started, but I do have some news for you. As far as food and water goes, we have plenty of each. There are a pair of large cisterns of water that is being continually replenished by rainfall, and being that we are in the rain forest, we get plenty of that. Food is not going to be anything exciting; just packs and packs of MRE's. At least we won't starve."

Cooper pipes up with, "Cap, I've been looking over the mecha ammunition, and we have loads of mini, short, and medium range missiles for the Veritechs to use. No long range ones, though. There are also several hundred shells for the old Spartas tank main guns, and rounds for the GU-11 gun pods on the Valks, and autocannon shells for the Defenders. Not too shabby."

O'Brien says, "I've been looking at personal weapons, and there is a variety of both energy and projectile weapons that we have access to, enough to outfit at least fifty people with both sidearms and rifles. Problem with them is that they have to be unpacked from their cases and cleaned before we can use them. But at least we got em, right?"

Gabi appeared. Time and the Earth's situation had changed her. It seemed like just yesterday Third Heavy Recon was in space, fighting for their lives against the Robotech Masters in the Robotech Factory that had come like both a blessing and a curse out of the vast reaches of the cosmic ocean of space. They were above the world, celebrated heroes, saviors, the arbitrators of destruction before which even Robotech Master Motherships fell to their doom.

And now? It was like a scene out of Terminator 2. Humanity worldwide had almost been crushed by the Invid Invasion. With nowhere else to run to, no other world to call home, humanity made its last stand here on the planet of their birth. Life had become one torturous unending nightmare for what few remained.

As always, Gabriela had fallen back on her Meltrandi/Mexican roots. Her roots as a De La Rosa. Her accomplished dream of joining the Green Berets of the Army of Southern Cross, Recon Patrol, now burned and demolished like every major city across the globe. Gabi was part of a Resistance now. The only people she trusted were those of what used to be called Third Heavy Recon. Heroes-become-scavengers. Soldiers-become-survivors. One wrong move, one wrong act using Protoculture could end it all for the Invid seemed to sense it. And more.

Still, Gabriela had a duty to perform. Not for herself, for glory was a thing of the past. Not for her family, who were likely bones and dust somewhere in America which also had ceased to exist. But for whatever was left of humanity. To survive. To persist. To defy.

On a day like today...

... it was all she had left.

"Conway," she asked. "Where do you want me to help out, ma'am?"

Deunan looks over at Gabi and says, "We need that radio tower up. I think it will take a bunch of us to do so, but at least we can locate the cables and the hardware and get an idea of how much of a pain in the ass this will be. While Marlon and Alan get the generator up, we can snag Neo, Cooper and O'Brien and get to work."

Alan and Marlon

It is not difficult work to get the first of the two generators up and running, just long, hot and sweaty work. Finally, the machine turns over and begins to let out power, and the lights begin to flicker on and the air circular kicks in, providing a much needed breath of fresh, cool air. The second generator still needs work, but at least now you don't have to use flashlights to see what you are doing, and it will be a much cooler effort to get it working. Or, you can take a well deserved break and get some rest. The past week has been crazy, and everyone is on the ragged edge of breakdown.

Gabi and Deunan

Searching through the various storerooms, the two of you are able to find a pair of small antennas and plenty of cable to be able to deploy them out several miles away. The weight of the hardware will require you to use one of the vehicles in the motorpool to carry and run the cable out, but the good news is that the hover trucks and staff cars run on conventional fuel, and will not lead the Invid to your location like a beacon.

With the help of Cooper and O'Brien, the four of you are able to run the lines out and get the first tower up and running at just about the same time that power to the bunker is turned on. Heading back inside, there is a noticeable change thanks to the environmental systems kicking on, making things much more pleasant to be in.

Now that you have some power, the radio is working, and you are able to get some signals coming in. The first thing you find on the air is a broadcast in Spanish of dance music, showing you that there is still life out here, albeit a bit different from what you are used to.

What do you do now?

Gabi listened to every word. Her father was a musician and she knew many Spanish songs. She wondered if the person on the other side of the radio was simply playing music, or if there was a code or secret message to it all.

Gabi sat with her computer open ready to copy down any messages placed between or during the songs. People had done so before in previous wars. So why not this one?

Gabi listened to every word. Her father was a musician and she knew many Spanish songs. She wondered if the person on the other side of the radio was simply playing music, or if there was a code or secret message to it all.

Gabi sat with her computer open ready to copy down any messages placed between or during the songs. People had done so before in previous wars. So why not this one?
This initial song appears to be just a bit of fast paced mariachi music, and does not appear at this time to have a hidden message to it. But you do learn that the place it is being broadcast from is not far away; the town of La Fuenta, the same place you guys would go to and relax in during your time at Anton-17. This gives you a bit of hope for the possibility of other groups of survivors out there.

Heading back to the radio room, Deunan goes to check to see what, if anything, is coming in on the airwaves. "Hey Gabi. What you got going on here? Anything of interest?"

Purr Purr

Last edited by a moderator:
"Captain," Gabi noted her entrance. "I was just about to get you. Someone's got a music channel set up out of old La Fuenta. Strange thing is - it's Spanish, not Brazilian. Why would they be playing Spanish music down here?" She tried to reconsider. "I guess during times like these, you play the music you got."

Gabi adjusted the volume so Conway could hear it. The longer she listened to it, the quieter she became.

Deunan looks at Gabi and says, "Well, we know that some semblance of civilization has survived out there. Perhaps we should take a recon run on the hover cycles to check out La Fuente and see what we can learn."

Gabi considered Conway's idea. Hmm, maybe it would do me some good to see some change, any change. The Invid caused so much havoc an' death, it's been hard to think about anything else.

"Si,
Conway. The hover bikesa are a good idea. If it don't bring the Invid back to this little gold mine, I'm for it, you know?"

Over the course of the next several weeks, the members of the Third Heavy are busy with getting the bunker into a livable condition and doing a little exploration of the surrounding area. It does not take long for the suspicious villages around you to remember that a long time back, the members of the Third Heavy were there, giving out free flu shots and medicine to the sick kids, installing and repairing the town's water pumps for fresh water, and doing their best to be good neighbors to them. They are now willing to repay the favors done for them with supplies of food and information, both commodities are worth a small fortune in these troubled times.

It is during this time that you are able to make sporadic contact with other old ASC units and learn a bit about the state of affairs of the world around you. The Invid are everywhere, and have been crushing all signs of resistance to their iron clad control wherever it comes up. In some places, life is pretty much normal, so long as you don't question the rule of the Invid. In other places, the occupying force has set up work camps, enslaving the local population into working farms to harvest some strange plant that has recently popped up across the globe.

While the Invid seem to have a global presence, North America has the highest concentration of the invaders, along with this strange plant that they are so intent on having all to themselves. Some reports are that up by the ruins of Monument City, the Invid have set up a super sized hive, and word on the street is that this hive has the leader of the Invid in it, here on Earth.

With most of the main infrastructure wiped out, it is rare to get any kind of personal messages in, but not impossible. Some of you have managed to learn the fates of some of your family and friends that had survived the First and Second Robotech Wars. It is in one of these messages that Gabi is able to learn that a few members of her family have been rounded up in one of the Invid interment camps and are being forced to work the farm for the Invid oppressors. Other members of her surviving clan have tried to get in touch with Gabi, hoping to have her come home. It is not like that there is any sort of standing military to charge you with desertion, and right now, your family needs you.

The problem is, your relatives are a few thousand miles away in North America on the somewhat rebuilt eastern seaboard, making a trip with the hover tanks impossible. It will be hard enough with your Ajax to get there in one piece. At least there has been time to get it fixed up for the flight there.

Neo gives Gabi a teary-eyed hug as she says goodbye. "You be careful out there, ok? I want to hear from you, to make sure you made it there in one piece."

Both O'Brien and Cooper give you a snappy salute. "Take care, flight leader! Because of you, we have made it through some real rough times. Just take your own advice to heart, and fly safe!"

Gabriela hugs and salutes everybody who wants one, especially her Third Heavy Recon squadmates. Her face shows sadness but also determination. "I'm hoping to hook up with some old Recon Patrol buddies of mine on the coast, you know? If anyone has survived this mess, it's them. Nobody handles a situation like this better than Special Forces Green Berets. Recon Patrol is Green Berets with mecha! But they can't use Third Heavy Recon tactics - they gotta do it their way.

Gabi looks wistful. "Thing is, if I find even one of my familia, I gotta stay with 'em! Lord knows you guys can take care of yourselves - my family? Not so much. For all the love I got for you guys, I gotta remember - my family are the ones who gave me this opportunity. My family, my country, my world. So you can bet your hot asses I'm gonna be there for them for keeps!"

"An' listen. If any of you want, I can leave a spare Dragonfly with you guys. I've still got my drone cache so I'm good - I can spare a VR helmet to control him with if you wanna? It's the least I can do seein' as I'm taking your only drone operator away from you when I go, you know?"

Deunan gives Gabi a great big hug, wiping tears from her eyes. "I have a special place in my heart for you, Gabs, and I can only wish the best for you. You are lucky that you have blood family to turn to. My only family is this motley bunch of crazies, and that includes you! Take care, ok?" She sniffs a couple of times, wishing that there was a way for the rest of the team to join her, but the tanks would never be able to make the trip.

"I'll gladly accept the offered drone and VR helmet, and I'm sure we will find good use for it."

While Gabi is packing her bags to take her Ajax off on her trip, there is a series of radio transmissions that comes in on the set in the bunker. It takes a bit of effort to unscramble the sheer volume of signals that you are hearing, but when you do, it is clear that there is a extra-solar force bearing down on Earth with the intent to take on the Invid and liberate the planet! Your own radio is not powerful enough to get a signal up to the waiting fleet, but you can hear the play-by-play between the large ships of the fleet out there as they launch waves of Veritech fighters and landing craft.

As you listen, it is clear that the Invid are not going to make this easy. They are sending up hordes of transports that are engaging the oncoming force well above the atmosphere, and from what you can hear, the sheer numbers of the Invid attack force has taken the UEEF fleet by surprise. Soon you can hear the general retreat signal being sent as capitol ship after capitol ship are destroyed by the swarming tactics of the enemy. Very few ships make it away from the fight into deep space, and even fewer combatants survive to get planetside. The 'liberation force' has been slaughtered, suffering over 90% losses. Not the good news that you were hoping for.

You do hear the occasional report of a survivor having made it down safely, and the very few out there are going to ground in an attempt to keep from getting stomped on by the Invid. It may be possible for you to find some of these survivors and link up with them. Only time will tell.

Earlier, up in space . . .
Purr Purr

On the Command Cruiser Bunker Hill, T'kar is busy in the middle of prep work for deployment in the biggest operation of your military career. You are in charge of a small squad of six other Destroids in the UEEF fleet, and all seven of you are being loaded onto a Horizon-T landing ship for transport to the surface. The cargo bunkers of the transport are getting stuffed to the brim with mecha and ordnance for the fight, with the expectation of a tough battle ending up with a decisive victory. Everyone in the team is hyped up and raring to go.

Just like in movie Aliens, your dropship is dropped out of the belly of the Bunker Hill at high speed and the boosters kick in to get you to the dirt where your team of ground pounders can do some damage. For the next several minutes of this flight, you are locked into place in the supply bunker waiting for the Horizon-T ship to land and deploy you. Not an easy thing to deal with, but it is what you signed up for.

As you accelerate towards the planet, you can hear the level of worry ratcheting up on the radio that you are listening in on. Apparently, the numbers of Invid response units are much greater than the initial intelligence reports indicated, launching at you in heretofore unheard of amounts of mecha. It is not going to be the walk in the park that your team of grunts was expecting.

Invid begin to tear into the UEEF fighter screen around the larger ships of the fleet, taking out the cruisers with ease. By this point, your dropship has advanced along in its path far enough that it is past the Go-No Go point, and you can feel the ship buffeting in the upper atmosphere as you start your landing run. Then the pilot reports that they are taking hits, and he is trying to take evasive maneuvers to keep from getting blasted out of the sky. Things are starting to go bad. Real bad. And there is nothing you can do about it besides sit and pray for the best.

A nasty hit makes the dropship yaw badly to the side, pushing you against the seat belts that are holding you in place hard. Before you know it, there is a terrible tearing sound as the ship you are in crash lands, beating you up and knocking you out.

Eventually, you come to, and at first you are very disoriented and in a lot of pain. Even though the megasuit you are wearing, you think you may have a few broken ribs; at the very least you will have a bruise bad enough to last a while. Looking around at your heads-up display, you see that you have been out of it for many hours, and sunlight is streaming in through a rip in the cargo bunker's hull, showing just how hard it was you hit the dirt.

Cracking the cockpit open, you quickly learn to your dismay that you are the only one in the bunker that has survived the crash. It was only due to your incredible physical durability that you made it through the wreck.

Later..

T'kar whispered reverently with the winds blowing past the graveyard he had created. "Great UEEF travelers, join your ancestors in the vast beyond. Nourish the soil of the very planet your people began life upon. You traveled and made it back home, Earth-people. Not even the Invid can take that away from you."

Standing before the fresh mounds, his trusty shovel by his side, T'kar gave a salute to the dead he had buried. Ten Earth-people in all; four from the Horizon-T's crew and the six Destroid pilots he was to have commanded in battle. Despite his self-medication, his skull throbbed from the concussion and his midsection was in constant pain, but he was still fit enough to perform the human rite of burying their dead under the ground. The only good things he could think of is that they died under their own skies and in the line of duty. After some skilled scavenging, T'kar placed all of their IDs, dog tags, and what personal effects he could find into a small Mega-damage tool box that would keep them safe and undamaged come what may. T'kar stayed there long enough to release the sadness inside of him, but not a single moment longer. For he was alive and that meant he could still perform his duty. Had he been of the Earth-people, he would have died along with them, so his strong sense of logic argued.

"You ready, Honey?"

"Yes," Honey replied sharply.

He waved and winced and walked using his shovel as a cane. "Come on, then. Once we're done here, we have to find the Horizon-T's... uuugh! Other storage container. Someone might have made it."

"No."

"Aww, who asked you? Let's be done here and find out!"

Moving slowly, T'kar lumbered along taking care not to breathe too hard. Earth's gravity took a little getting used to and even with his ribcage bound securely and expertly, he did not want to chance aggravating his injuries. For one thing, his own home planet was some 80 light years away - who here would know how to care for him? But it would be O.K. for he was armed... with science!

For what seemed like the hundredth time, T'kar examined the Brazilian countryside (though he did not know it by name) and the blue and white skies that hovered so tranquilly above him, so healthy and unpolluted despite the carnage Earth had experienced! It was nothing like his homeworld - what a wreck! But here? Life was everywhere! Wow! Little airborne insects that tried to feed off the fresh corpses! Grass and greenery so diverse, he wanted to sit there and spend entire days examining them! But... now that the burials were complete and he had their IDs and mementos, he had to scavenge what he could from the Horizon-T before other life found him. If he were lucky, it would only be the native wildlife. He could deal with them. But more Invid? Or unfriendly humans who might think him an invader? Oh, brother!

Then he remembered - he had Mister Freedom! Ol' reliable Mister Freedom who had helped him dig the burial pits! T'kar was certainly in no shape to do anything physical but moan and groan and what good would that do? T'kar gritted his teeth from the pain but made his way into the cargo bunker. Laptop at the ready, he began taking an inventory of the mecha and ordnance there. If the humans hadn't survived, at least their technology might have? And that was something T'kar could do something with! With his awesome powers of science and technology, he could... dare he say it... change the world!

dare-i-say-it-change-the-world.jpg
(Image credit: Meme Generator)

Sure this whole Liberate-the-Earth-Thing was going to be one problem after another, but that only added to T'kar's enjoyment! He pictured it! If only his family could see him now! Here he was! A wounded intrepid explorer on a hostile planet! Trying to liberate the people from the vice-like grip of the nefarious Invid! No allies! Limited resources! Uncertain circumstances! No safe place to call home! Challenge after challenge all in the face of the deadly unknown! Wow! Super! Thrilling! Oh wait...

Then again, he thought, maybe it was best his family did not know about all that? Maybe, but it was still his adventure to conquer, his problems to solve, and his solutions to create and develop! There was no one here to tell him what to do now! This whole Deadly Earth Situation? He could do it!

His hand upon Mister Freedom, T'kar grinned mightily. "Honey, don't you worry! We can do this! We can... whip it and whip it good!"

"Yes!"
Honey agreed.

"Whip It" by Devo

It is just after T'kar takes out his small portable computer to do a inventory of what has survived the crash here when your extremely sensitive ears hear the distinct sounds of two voices quietly whispering to one another nearby. Its obviously not Invid; they wouldn't be whispering, they'd be attacking, so it is a safe bet to say that what you are hearing is a pair (at least) of the local inhabitants talking to one another.

Purr Purr , go ahead and give me a Perception roll

As you listen, you can hear the voices become clearer. The two speaking don't sound very old to you; at a guess, you think that you are being watched by children.

"What is that?"
"I don't know."
"Its not human!"
"Well, duh! I'm not stupid! I can see that!"
"Its not a Zentraedi, is it?"
"No, they are taller and not so fuzzy."
"Do you think it might eat us?"
"Naaah. If it were going to be eating people, it wouldn't have buried those dead people."
"What should we do?"
"Maybe its lonely."
"Lonely?!? What do you think you are going to do? Make it your pet?"
"No! But shouldn't we tell papa?"
"He won't believe us. Unless . . . "
"What?"
"We could bring it home. Then papa will have to believe us!"

With a careful peek, you can see from the corner of your eye that yes, it is two children talking, and they are obviously watching you. What do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back