• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Looks like i might die but need to be a bit crreative with this rolls

Don't forget you can reroll your 1's and your standard human gets to roll 4d6 and take three top three dice.

Sherwood Sherwood I've been pondering swapping out a skill to pick up a ranged attack capability, even if it is minimal compared to my hand to hand ability. Would I be allowed to get WP Energy Pistol? Even with a mystic background, having that skill shouldn't be a big deal.

Sherwood Sherwood I've been pondering swapping out a skill to pick up a ranged attack capability, even if it is minimal compared to my hand to hand ability. Would I be allowed to get WP Energy Pistol? Even with a mystic background, having that skill shouldn't be a big deal.
Let me think about that for a while. A modern wp may not be allowed for you at start up; I'll have to check.

You may have to rely on archery as a ranged attack for a while if modern wps are off limits.

Last edited:
You may try but knowing my luck it will either be worse or it could be amazing like with my other character Barnes
It's up to you. I'm willing to grab my dice once I'm home and roll really quick.

Dice Roll Thread for Ando Oda 2.0
(Yes I changed my mind on the Headhunter, decided to simplify things and went with a simple Mind Melter)

Ok, I have posted the new and improved Ando Oda...please let me know any thoughts on him. I had actually considered making him a her...but he is what he is. This is the character OCC and everything I am going with.

Sherwood Sherwood Here's another build, this one I think is more promising. This character can cast spells, is survivable (unless caught in human form where he is S.D.C.-based). This build would make for a strong and sturdy mage with excellent mental bonuses (on top of the super dice rolls I lucked out with). His sword-style is acrobatic and very Ghost in the Shell "jumpy-aroundy" while the Korean Yu-Sool system is much more a hard/soft style with only 2 Attacks per Round, but a plethora of attacks and defenses. Combine this with the Snake Spirit Host's Automatic Dodge and you have a character who is difficult to hit, can take his share of hits, and still have enough Attacks per Round to cast his spells as a Ley Line Walker.

I've never run a Ley Line Walker, but I'm intent on getting spells at start like Armor of Ithan, Befuddle, Carpet of Adhesion, See Invisibility, and Shadow Meld).

I don't know how the Martial Art Technique Tamashiwara might work in your Rifts (the Japanese Art of Breaking) works in Rifts and I can't find anything but house rules for it (and those few are kind of lame). I have my own rules in my own game, but... this isn't my game.

Finally, I avoided buffing him all the way with things like Stone Ox (add 4d4x10 S.D.C. which can become Mega-damage) or Zanshin (an utterly fantastic power that stops one from being surprised even when asleep, adds +6 to Initiative, +2 to Parry, and +4 to Dodge - a great ability that I am glad Psychie's dragon possesses, but I won't take it if I think it will make my characters' bonuses too high.

Here's the latest build!

Note: Numbers calculated using averages (i.e. 1d6 = 3.5).

Hit Points: 25 (in human form)
S.D.C.: 170 (in human form)
P.P.E.: 125
Chi/I.S.P.: 110
M.D.C.: 25 (Walker) +55 (Snake) +90 (Chi Gung) +20 (Dam Sum Sing) +25 (Style bonuses) + Skills = 250 ish? +50% more in little snake form.

Important Special Abilities:
1. Spirit Host:
Change shapes among human, Animus, and animal (human is S.D.C., Animus and animal are M.D.C. with Supernatural Strength), roughly two minor Psychic powers per level (not of choice but predetermined). If Snake, automatic dodge available in any form. Venomous bite paralyzes one limb of choice (must bite limb). Spirit Writing, Ghost Drama (neat but won't be used often).

2. Ley Line Walker: Excellent spell use, but more than 1/2 of cool special abilities only work when at Ley Lines. Few-moderate O.C.C. Skills with an average selection of Skills to choose from. (Won't have many skills after buying both Martial Art systems.)

3. Martial Art Powers: Turns character from probably having less than 100 M.D.C. to having around 250 (?).
A. Chi-Gung (+1 to P.E., +2d6 to Hit Points), +90 to S.DC.).
B. Dam Sum Sing (Half damage from blunt/impact including rail guns, +1 to P.E., +20 to S.D.C., + 2 to roll (half damage again!).
C. Iron Hand (takes no damage from failed Tamashiwara, see below; hands only cause more damage and 1/2 damage to fire).
D. Chi-atsu (Hit Point/S.D.C./Coma healing and more.)
E. Dragon Chi (take Chi from the world or other willing characters, 3 Chi/ISP minimum).
F. Tamashiwara (Only attack per round can cause double damage straight to hit points or break Chi of objects. With M.D.? Don't know.

Base Build (Yung Huo Jen + Yu-Sool)
4 or 2 Attacks per Round
+10 to Chi
+1D4 to I.Q.
+1D6 to M.E.
+1D4 to any Mental Attribute.
+1 to P.S.
+5 to P.P.
+4 to P.E.
+25 to S.D.C.
Sherwood Sherwood

1. Is this build all right with you? Do you think it's neat too?

2. I can't find anything worthwhile on Tamashiwara and how it might work in Rifts Japan. How does it work in your campaign?

3. Limb-paralyzing Snake bite. I thought it only made sense that my PC would have to bite the limb in question. Do you agree? So what happens if my PC bites a bad guy in the butt? Constipation! Ha ha! (Just kidding!) =)

I've been pondering swapping out a skill to pick up a ranged attack capability, even if it is minimal compared to my hand to hand ability. Would I be allowed to get WP Energy Pistol? Even with a mystic background, having that skill shouldn't be a big deal.
Psychie Psychie Could I also recommend W.P. Thrown Weapons? Perhaps Sherwood would let your dragon have some kind of P.S. bonus when throwing hard metal items at opponents while using Supernatural Strength?

Ok, I have posted the new and improved Ando Oda...please let me know any thoughts on him. I had actually considered making him a her...but he is what he is. This is the character OCC and everything I am going with.
Thoughts...

While the character's "core" looks legit to me, it's the backstory I'm having issues with. Even as a NPC family member, a mixed-race American in any guise is going to be a tough sell for me because Rifts Japan has no contact whatsoever with either of the Americas. Basically, if it's east of Okinawa, it's basically gone. But China? Korea? Maybe Thailand, the Philippines? It's fair there! =)

The idea of a Chinese grandfather marrying a Japanese lady and living together in the Republic seems solid enough. I don't imagine the Republic would turn away a Tai Chi Ch'uan Grandmaster who might teach Tai Chi in the city (not to mention the possibly-huge wealth of information the man might have concerning China!).

The character is a Mind Melter born and raised in the Republic of Japan? Ahh, that's a very hard sell for me, but not impossible. I'll explain.

You may notice that the Republic has no Psychic O.C.C.s whatsoever. The closest they get to a true magic-user is the Ninja Techno-Wizard. The Republic is as tech (in my mind) as Ghost in the Shell. Put another way, Hiroshima is basically Japan's answer to Cyberpunk's Night City. A Mind Melter being born in Rifts "Night City?" Up to Sherwood.

Only 6% of the population has psychic powers of any kind (and if they're like the super-rare Republic magic-users, then it's of very low ability like 1-3rd level). A Mind Melter born and raised in the Republic of Japan might be considered a Charles Xavier-level being (if you don't mind an X-Men reference) - an extremely super-rare case that is far more likely to happen outside of the Republic (and, frankly, in the New Empire). I think such a character would clearly be the most powerful Psychic native to Hiroshima.

As such, I think any argument saying he would be treated like just another gifted native does not hold water. The government would flip their lids. Why? To my knowledge, the Republic has no such beings and therefore would have a heck of a time educating one (as is stated in the backstory). I'd also be willing to bet the Republic's government wouldn't let such a person join a danger-seeking bunch like ours (they might not even let the poor soul mingle with the public while they try to figure him out).

Mind Melters outside of the Republic are different story. If memory serves, Mind Melters largely psychically-educate themselves. I think of them as Marvel/DC Comics mutants in that respect except that in Rifts Japan, they might receive solace in the one of the New Empire's many temples. Maybe he could be from Psychie's dragon's temple?

On the bright side, concerning the class itself, a Mind Melter might be another cool way of playing the Jedi-style character you seemed to be looking for in Cyber-Knight except Mind Melters don't all follow a Code of Chivalry. You can do whatever you want there! Psi-sword? Check! Telekinesis? Check! Fancy robes and strong mind? Check! Millennium Falcon? Er, ah, heeey Sherwood?! (Just kidding!)

Last edited:
Purr Purr At this point I just wanted to get a character together and in that I would enjoy playing. I assume we are about a Generation or so from when the New Republic appeared here from 300 years ago. There were multiple US military basis there when the New Republic disappeared. I am sure the biases and prejudices had lessened some in the light of the fact they are now 300 years in the future.

I just wanted and built a fairly simple backstory of a raised normal kid who realizes he has powers and serves his country in using them. At this point I do not care, I just want a character to play that I think would be fun to play and would complement the group well. Heck I could just remove the back story and say he works for the government and no one really knows his true backstory.

This is Sherwood Sherwood 's game in the end, I will let him determine what is best here.

Thoughts...

While the character's "core" looks legit to me, it's the backstory I'm having issues with. Even as a NPC family member, a mixed-race American in any guise is going to be a tough sell for me because Rifts Japan has no contact whatsoever with either of the Americas. Basically, if it's east of Okinawa, it's basically gone. But China? Korea? Maybe Thailand, the Philippines? It's fair there! =)

The idea of a Chinese grandfather marrying a Japanese lady and living together in the Republic seems solid enough. I don't imagine the Republic would turn away a Tai Chi Ch'uan Grandmaster who might teach Tai Chi in the city (not to mention the possibly-huge wealth of information the man might have concerning China!).

The character is a Mind Melter born and raised in the Republic of Japan? Ahh, that's a very hard sell for me, but not impossible. I'll explain.

You may notice that the Republic has no Psychic O.C.C.s whatsoever. The closest they get to a true magic-user is the Ninja Techno-Wizard. The Republic is as tech (in my mind) as Ghost in the Shell. Put another way, Hiroshima is basically Japan's answer to Cyberpunk's Night City. A Mind Melter being born in Rifts "Night City?" Up to Sherwood.

Only 6% of the population has psychic powers of any kind (and if they're like the super-rare Republic magic-users, then it's of very low ability like 1-3rd level). A Mind Melter born and raised in the Republic of Japan might be considered a Charles Xavier-level being (if you don't mind an X-Men reference) - an extremely super-rare case that is far more likely to happen outside of the Republic (and, frankly, in the New Empire). I think such a character would clearly be the most powerful Psychic native to Hiroshima.

As such, I think any argument saying he would be treated like just another gifted native does not hold water. The government would flip their lids. Why? To my knowledge, the Republic has no such beings and therefore would have a heck of a time educating one (as is stated in the backstory). I'd also be willing to bet the Republic's government wouldn't let such a person join a danger-seeking bunch like ours (they might not even let the poor soul mingle with the public while they try to figure him out).

Mind Melters outside of the Republic are different story. If memory serves, Mind Melters largely psychically-educate themselves. I think of them as Marvel/DC Comics mutants in that respect except that in Rifts Japan, they might receive solace in the one of the New Empire's many temples. Maybe he could be from Psychie's dragon's temple?

On the bright side, concerning the class itself, a Mind Melter might be another cool way of playing the Jedi-style character you seemed to be looking for in Cyber-Knight except Mind Melters don't all follow a Code of Chivalry. You can do whatever you want there! Psi-sword? Check! Telekinesis? Check! Fancy robes and strong mind? Check! Millennium Falcon? Er, ah, heeey Sherwood?! (Just kidding!)

Remind me to have you go over my character from a lore perspective. I have no doubt I'll throw on all sorts of inconsistencies for the Rifts world.

For example, I was probably gonna make an American lineage family as well. I have no doubt you will be reading my paper like
538.jpg

That said, I can make anything work since long as I have the chance to get a jetpack and minigun for a "Go Go Gadget Warthog" type moment. And that will be worth it.

Heck I could just remove the back story and say he works for the government and no one really knows his true backstory.

Ooh ooh! I've done this! Ambiguity for the win! I'm happy I'm not the only person who has this as a valid strategy in their playbook.

Purr Purr At this point I just wanted to get a character together and in that I would enjoy playing. I assume we are about a Generation or so from when the New Republic appeared here from 300 years ago. There were multiple US military basis there when the New Republic disappeared. I am sure the biases and prejudices had lessened some in the light of the fact they are now 300 years in the future.

I just wanted and built a fairly simple backstory of a raised normal kid who realizes he has powers and serves his country in using them. At this point I do not care, I just want a character to play that I think would be fun to play and would complement the group well. Heck I could just remove the back story and say he works for the government and no one really knows his true backstory.

This is Sherwood Sherwood 's game in the end, I will let him determine what is best here.
Eonivar Eonivar I could not agree more, Eon! Sherwood is the only one who can. But you asked. =)

(bold mine)

I don't mean to poke holes in your character concepts; I mean to fill them. When folks ask for my feedback, be it here or in Real Life, I give it. Totally in good spirit! In gaming and in life, I feel how else but with honest feedback can we improve? In that spirit, I thank you for the feedback you have provided in your own statements. I grow from them. =)

You mentioned you've had some hard weeks recently, and that just bites, but I want you to have fun! If, in the future, you do not want my feedback, do tell me; you will not bruise my ego by saying so, buddy. I don't mean to irritate you; I will gladly bow out. I don't spend this much thought and free time replying unless I really like somebody - and I like you, Eon! Please forgive me if my opinions cause stress instead of add wonder. =)

Mine are just opinions - no more or less important than anyone's. "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own.” - Bruce Lee. (My rattle-brained opinions included. If you need me to shut up, just tell me. I will understand.) =)

Last edited:
Remind me to have you go over my character from a lore perspective. I have no doubt I'll throw on all sorts of inconsistencies for the Rifts world.

For example, I was probably gonna make an American lineage family as well. I have no doubt you will be reading my paper like

That said, I can make anything work since long as I have the chance to get a jetpack and minigun for a "Go Go Gadget Warthog" type moment. And that will be worth it.

Ooh ooh! I've done this! Ambiguity for the win! I'm happy I'm not the only person who has this as a valid strategy in their playbook.
D. Rex D. Rex Ha ha ha! No doubt! I am a believer in Neil DeGrasse Tyson's saying (it's here hanging from my wall), "If you're scientifically literate, the world looks very different to you, and that understanding empowers you." Add my moderate-to-severe ADHD with that approach and you get someone like me. =)

Huh! Allow me to look into the "jetpack," "minigun," and "Go Go Gadget Warthog" idea for a moment? The Republic of Japan, being based on technology, and Japan with its hard word ethic and lifestyle (ever heard of the 9-9-6 work lifestyle in China? 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., 6 days a week, and don't even think about being late or calling in sick. I have it on a source who lives there that Japan, in some places, is like this too). That's nuts!

But maybe again so is perhaps a team of "cyborg-makers" who decided to go the route you mention? Perhaps as a weekend project at first, but then it grew into something bigger? Somehow got funding? I believe Sherwood wants this game to have the tone of Ghost in the Shell, so I doubt one could be all silly, but... just the idea of a custom-made anti-demon cyborg with tricks up its sleeve?

Where else but Hiroshima?

Purr Purr I know I asked for input and I appreciate that you provide it. It will be fine. I think before with the previous characters I got too far in the weeds with them in terms of what I wanted for them, and then you added a lot of good points and complications for them and I got a bit overwhelmed. So that is why I decided to go with a simpler character concept which I am actually happy with.

There is a LOT of detail in the setting in the book, but I often feel that the setting is a bit more flexible than what is written in terms of background details...as I said I think I will just leave the background blank until it is decided how I can fit into the story.

The only things i want for Ando Oda is the following:
He is a Mind Melter
He is from the New Republic
He has had a very average and normal upbringing until he got his powers

That is it. The rest will come around when we start writing.

Sherwood Sherwood

1. Is this build all right with you? Do you think it's neat too?

2. I can't find anything worthwhile on Tamashiwara and how it might work in Rifts Japan. How does it work in your campaign?

3. Limb-paralyzing Snake bite. I thought it only made sense that my PC would have to bite the limb in question. Do you agree? So what happens if my PC bites a bad guy in the butt? Constipation! Ha ha! (Just kidding!) =)
1. Looks good.

2. I took a look in the Conversion book, but didn't see anything on Tamashiwara. I am thinking it would be able to do MD damage to supernatural creatures and spirits, along with being able to do MD damage to inanimate objects, but against 'normal' people, it will simply do hit point damage.

3. No, it wouldn't be constipation; it would be diarrhea with no muscle control to hold it in. Seriously, it would probably just affect one of the legs at that point.

I know I asked for input and I appreciate that you provide it. It will be fine. I think before with the previous characters I got too far in the weeds with them in terms of what I wanted for them, and then you added a lot of good points and complications for them and I got a bit overwhelmed. So that is why I decided to go with a simpler character concept which I am actually happy with.
Aw, thanks, man! =) I'm sorry you were overwhelmed; I get that way too (rather easily some days).

There is a LOT of detail in the setting in the book, but I often feel that the setting is a bit more flexible than what is written in terms of background details...as I said I think I will just leave the background blank until it is decided how I can fit into the story.
I can't help but agree. The New Empire/Republic dynamic contradicts itself in a few places (do the citizens get along or not? Some parts in the book, yes; in others, not really). But its flexibility lies with whomever's running the game. That's why I can't help but ask certain questions of Sherwood. =)

The only things i want for Ando Oda is the following:
He is a Mind Melter
He is from the New Republic
He has had a very average and normal upbringing until he got his powers

That is it. The rest will come around when we start writing.
Oh! Hey. Could I offer a possible idea that might this fit like a glove?

What if Ando became a Mind Melter (wasn't born one)? Perhaps he was adventuring outside the city (doing whatever he did prior) and something stepped out of a Rift (perhaps he helped some being who desperately needed it) and the resulting encounter transformed him into a Mind Melter and since Mind Melters pretty much teach themselves anyway, Ando is learning things as he goes? The New Empire/Republic team is just the perfect place for him to find out what he need to know while helping his city?

Just an idea. Hope you're having a good one, Eon! =)

Sherwood Sherwood Could I ask for some die rolls, please? There will be more later.
+5D6+40 M.D.C.
+1D4 to I.Q.
+1D6 to M.E.
+1D4 to any Mental Attribute.
+2d6 Hit Points
+6d6 S.D.C. (Running, Boxing. Gymnastics from Martial Art System)
3d6x10 (P.P.E.)
4d4 (Running)

3. No, it wouldn't be constipation; it would be diarrhea with no muscle control to hold it in. Seriously, it would probably just affect one of the legs at that point.
Ha ha!

Psychie Psychie Could I also recommend W.P. Thrown Weapons? Perhaps Sherwood would let your dragon have some kind of P.S. bonus when throwing hard metal items at opponents while using Supernatural Strength?
WP Thrown would work for you, Psychie Psychie . With your great strength, depending on what you are throwing, it could do MD damage.

Purr Purr

+5D6+40 M.D.C. - 22+40=62
+1D4 to I.Q. - 2
+1D6 to M.E. - 4
+1D4 to any Mental Attribute. - 1
+2d6 Hit Points - 8
+6d6 S.D.C. (Running, Boxing. Gymnastics from Martial Art System) - 25
3d6x10 (P.P.E.) - 140
4d4 (Running) - 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back