• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I don't know. That's funny, that it goes into detail on the effects of the attack, without actually giving the cost. Purr Purr , you know more about the Chi powers than I do; do you have an answer to this?

D. Rex D. Rex The maintenance man idea has some things going for it, but why would he be selected to be a part of the government backed team that is being assembled to fight demons in the city?

What if the guy was also a trusted computer hacker working for the government? Kind of like Ishikawa from the Ghost in the Shell manga (the smart and savvy Caucasian-looking guy with the black hair and beard)? That's the kind of guy I think a team like ours could definitely use. He'd know the ins and outs of the city and probably have the ability to hack into networks that would get us the best data very fast (kind of like when the team broke into the garbage company's network). =)

That is a possibility that could work. There are a lot of character classes that would fit for this idea, and they usually have plenty of skills to help you stay alive, like taking some pilot battle armor skills.

Well, when you work underneath the city, in a city likely as grand as i expect, and filled with all sorts of things after some rift opening, I'd imagine it isn't normally very safe in cracks and crevices of Hiroshima. Got to beat off ten feet tall rats and other rifty wierdness. Might give him some degree of experience with danger so it wouldn't be like tossing in a wet behind the ears desk-jockey.

Furthermore, could be an employee of the city. And by extension an employee of the government already. Already having clearance and a clean background to be trusted, knowing the city, and a variety of skills to help get them where they need. And like Danni said, if he is already a trusted hacker, which would certainly make sense for maintenance in a cyber city. Networks and programming would go hand in hand with repair and maintenance. So that if he can't get you into a building through digital access, he'll know how to get in... manually.

As for combat! I suppose that would depend on how much of a skill monkey you'd like me to be. I'll happily load up on utility and rely on the big MDC dragon to protect squishy little me. Though for personal survivability could definitely use some suggestions since I doubt I'll have as much free to invest in martial arts or gunplay. But piloting sounds fun. And fits with the techy theme.

What is really funny is I realized that I have the Original version of Ninja's and Superspies and not the revised one.
That's amazing! How rare to have an original!

I just want to have fun, and if I am the cause of a lot of angst about characters, that's not fun.
Psychie Psychie Dear Psychie, as with my questions for Sherwood, mine are curiosities, not complaints! See spoiler, ya Muppet-lovin' silly person! =)

Speaking only for myself, I am feeling no angst whatsoever. Nor do I want you to feel any.

I bet you'll recall the "trouble player" we had in one of your Southern Cross games? When I came to you with that, that was a complaint. =)

When I'm trying to gauge just what level of power we're playing here in Rifts and using your character (the only PC we currently have that's more or less complete right?) and Sherwood's Ghost in the Shell/Silent Mobius talk, I I feel have to go about it that way because that's all the evidence I've got.

If I thought "Blake" needed toning down or changing, I'd be asking YOU about it. Think about how I've operated in the past? I go to the source first, don't I? =) So yeah. No angst, only wonder and curiosity. Plus, I am genuinely having fun with all of this Shop Talk! And thanks to you, I see what a Kumo-mi Sohei looks like! Wow! =)

If I keep with the RWBY theme, I could use Yang Xaio Long.
What is "RWBY" theme, please? That name sounds about as Chinese (or maybe Vietnamese) as it gets.

It says that it draws on your personal Chi/PPE, but what it doesn't say is how many points it costs. It is driving me batty. How much does it take to make this power work? Anyone?
I've got your back. You might find the answer to be an eye-opener. =)

Do you know how much ppe it takes for a chi M.D. death blow in the Japan book.

Answer: The Chi Death Blow costs the same as the Palladins Demon Death Blow from Palladium Fantasy. The Palladin's Demon Death Blow uses up 3D6 P.P.E. (roll 3D6 and subtract from the Palladin's P.P.E. reserve).

Source: Palladium Books Combat Rules. =)

Edit: May I recommend an alternative? Just go with a cost of 10 P.P.E.? That's the average of 3 6-sided dice (3.5 x 3 = 10.5 rounded down). Otherwise, should you be super-low on P.P.E., you'll be like someone trying to start an old Volkswagen with the dice method. "Man, I've got only 8 P.P.E. left! I'll roll for Chi Death Blow. A 12? Ack! I'll try again next Action! C'mon, baby! Turn that engine over already!" Hah! =)

And like Danni said, if he is already a trusted hacker, which would certainly make sense for maintenance in a cyber city. Networks and programming would go hand in hand with repair and maintenance. So that if he can't get you into a building through digital access, he'll know how to get in... manually.
Precisely my thinking, D. Rex!

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood Two small reminders when you have the time, please. =)

Since I'm letting Psy have a dragon with a metamorphosis ability that it doesn't normally come with, I can't in good conscience say no to a reasonable request like that. I would just need to figure out what kind of poison it is and how it would react in the game. Say it is a poison that does damage. Is it a ongoing damage, or is it just a one time thing? How much damage does it do? Is there a saving throw for it? Stuff like that.
I forgot to respond to this (distracted!). Does the venom do damage at all? I don't feel any need to be that guy who isn't satisfied until his Snake character is the equivalent of a "two-step black mamba" (because if it bites you, you've got about two steps before you're done for).

Whatever suits your game the most suits me too; I find simple works best (hence my recommended alternative for Chi Death Blow). Perhaps instead of damage, it performs a temporary condition (avoidable by a saving throw).

There is an Atemi Power (Kyosho or Neural Atemi) where one can paralyze a person. Not instantly, but one step at a time. The first Kyosho strike paralyzes one limb. The second, another limb. The third results in that person's total body paralysis (in Kyosho's case, 2d6 minutes to get feeling and use back)! Perhaps the venom could be only the 1st-strike level of ability?

Or some other non-lethal condition? Be great for taking prisoners if the venom could make an opponent woozy for a short time or something. Just a thought. =)

Side note: I'm still laughing about the totally ludicrous idea of the venom causing uncontrollable farting (and no, this is not me asking for it. I'd be direct). Party: "Oh noes! Where's the bad guy? We need him! He's escaping! He must be invisible! Where could he be?" Snake: *Chomp* Bad guy: *BRRRR-A-A-A-A-P!!* Party: "Why, there he is!" Bad guy: "Dagnabbit!" Party: "Now we can even track him my scent!" Bad guy: "Magic serpent can make you fart! Who knew?"

Ha Ha ha!

The only other sword system I would love to try out is... incomplete. In Rifter #3 on (physical copy) page 37 is the system Yung Huo Jen: The Eternal Fires of the Sword. Unfortunately, there is a very clear editing error at the bottom of page 37 where the information stops at Basic Foot attacks (Jumping Foot Attacks should be next) and skips straight to their Level Advancement bonuses starting at not 1st level, but 4th level! Quite a gap!

Does anyone have Rifter #4? At the end of the book, is there an addendum/"correction section" to Rifter #3? If so, could I ask you to copy/paste it here, please?

Last edited:
Well, when you work underneath the city, in a city likely as grand as i expect, and filled with all sorts of things after some rift opening, I'd imagine it isn't normally very safe in cracks and crevices of Hiroshima. Got to beat off ten feet tall rats and other rifty wierdness. Might give him some degree of experience with danger so it wouldn't be like tossing in a wet behind the ears desk-jockey.

Furthermore, could be an employee of the city. And by extension an employee of the government already. Already having clearance and a clean background to be trusted, knowing the city, and a variety of skills to help get them where they need. And like Danni said, if he is already a trusted hacker, which would certainly make sense for maintenance in a cyber city. Networks and programming would go hand in hand with repair and maintenance. So that if he can't get you into a building through digital access, he'll know how to get in... manually.

As for combat! I suppose that would depend on how much of a skill monkey you'd like me to be. I'll happily load up on utility and rely on the big MDC dragon to protect squishy little me. Though for personal survivability could definitely use some suggestions since I doubt I'll have as much free to invest in martial arts or gunplay. But piloting sounds fun. And fits with the techy theme.
I just need to make sure that if you are playing a 'normal' human, you have to have some means of not getting killed in the first fight I throw at you guys. Being a cyborg, or, having something to turn you into a MDC being, is preferrable to having you go through the time and getting invested in a character, then having him/her get wiped out.

If you go with the borg idea, you can still be the super hacker with your skills, but you are then able to go toe-to-toe with the supernatural challenges out there with some good weaponry that can be used by a borg. That is just a suggestion, but one that I think would work well with this setting.

That's amazing! How rare to have an original!

Psychie Psychie Dear Psychie, as with my questions for Sherwood, mine are curiosities, not complaints! See spoiler, ya Muppet-lovin' silly person! =)

Speaking only for myself, I am feeling no angst whatsoever. Nor do I want you to feel any.

I bet you'll recall the "trouble player" we had in one of your Southern Cross games? When I came to you with that, that was a complaint. =)

When I'm trying to gauge just what level of power we're playing here in Rifts and using your character (the only PC we currently have that's more or less complete right?) and Sherwood's Ghost in the Shell/Silent Mobius talk, I I feel have to go about it that way because that's all the evidence I've got.

If I thought "Blake" needed toning down or changing, I'd be asking YOU about it. Think about how I've operated in the past? I go to the source first, don't I? =) So yeah. No angst, only wonder and curiosity. Plus, I am genuinely having fun with all of this Shop Talk! And thanks to you, I see what a Kumo-mi Sohei looks like! Wow! =)

What is "RWBY" theme, please? That name sounds about as Chinese (or maybe Vietnamese) as it gets.

I've got your back. You might find the answer to be an eye-opener. =)

Do you know how much ppe it takes for a chi M.D. death blow in the Japan book.

Answer: The Chi Death Blow costs the same as the Palladins Demon Death Blow from Palladium Fantasy. The Palladin's Demon Death Blow uses up 3D6 P.P.E. (roll 3D6 and subtract from the Palladin's P.P.E. reserve).

Source: Palladium Books Combat Rules. =)

Edit: May I recommend an alternative? Just go with a cost of 10 P.P.E.? That's the average of 3 6-sided dice (3.5 x 3 = 10.5 rounded down). Otherwise, should you be super-low on P.P.E., you'll be like someone trying to start an old Volkswagen with the dice method. "Man, I've got only 8 P.P.E. left! I'll roll for Chi Death Blow. A 12? Ack! I'll try again next Action! C'mon, baby! Turn that engine over already!" Hah! =)

Precisely my thinking, D. Rex!
RWBY is the name of an anime series, using the first letters of the four main characters to make up the name of the show; Ruby, Weiss, Blake and Yang. It is a fun series that I've only seen the first 3 1/2 seasons of, out of I believe seven seasons. It is an enjoyable show to watch.

Thanks for the answer regarding the PPE cost of the Chi Death Blow. I know it was driving me nuts trying to find an answer about that. Psychie Psychie We will go with the 10 PPE cost idea for your character.
Sherwood Sherwood Two small reminders when you have the time, please. =)

I forgot to respond to this (distracted!). Does the venom do damage at all? I don't feel any need to be that guy who isn't satisfied until his Snake character is the equivalent of a "two-step black mamba" (because if it bites you, you've got about two steps before you're done for).

Whatever suits your game the most suits me too; I find simple works best (hence my recommended alternative for Chi Death Blow). Perhaps instead of damage, it performs a temporary condition (avoidable by a saving throw).

There is an Atemi Power (Kyosho or Neural Atemi) where one can paralyze a person. Not instantly, but one step at a time. The first Kyosho strike paralyzes one limb. The second, another limb. The third results in that person's total body paralysis (in Kyosho's case, 2d6 minutes to get feeling and use back)! Perhaps the venom could be only the 1st-strike level of ability?

Or some other non-lethal condition? Be great for taking prisoners if the venom could make an opponent woozy for a short time or something. Just a thought. =)

Side note: I'm still laughing about the totally ludicrous idea of the venom causing uncontrollable farting (and no, this is not me asking for it. I'd be direct). Party: "Oh noes! Where's the bad guy? We need him! He's escaping! He must be invisible! Where could he be?" Snake: *Chomp* Bad guy: *BRRRR-A-A-A-A-P!!* Party: "Why, there he is!" Bad guy: "Dagnabbit!" Party: "Now we can even track him my scent!" Bad guy: "Magic serpent can make you fart! Who knew?"

Ha Ha ha!
I like the paralysis idea of the venom. We'll go with that for your bite.

As far as the incomplete Martial Art, I looked in my Rifter 3 and it is missing data there, too. Looking at Rifter 4 and I don't see any addendum or note about the missing lines of text. Sorry I couldn't help more.

RWBY is the name of an anime series, using the first letters of the four main characters to make up the name of the show; Ruby, Weiss, Blake and Yang. It is a fun series that I've only seen the first 3 1/2 seasons of, out of I believe seven seasons. It is an enjoyable show to watch.
actually there are nine seasons....

Thanks to Purr Purr for coming up with an answer about the Chi Death Blow thing. I appreciate it.

Also, thanks again for your kind words. I never want to be that trouble player. It just sucks the fun out of any game that person is in.

I just need to make sure that if you are playing a 'normal' human, you have to have some means of not getting killed in the first fight I throw at you guys. Being a cyborg, or, having something to turn you into a MDC being, is preferrable to having you go through the time and getting invested in a character, then having him/her get wiped out.

If you go with the borg idea, you can still be the super hacker with your skills, but you are then able to go toe-to-toe with the supernatural challenges out there with some good weaponry that can be used by a borg. That is just a suggestion, but one that I think would work well with this setting.

Normally I go for that human supremacy, but you I think it could be fun trying to borg out for a change. So what does that entail?

Normally I go for that human supremacy, but you I think it could be fun trying to borg out for a change. So what does that entail?
Do you have access to the Rifts core book? That and the Rifts Japan one?

Note: Brain fog attacks! Um, I... am... muddy. Sorry if my words aren't clear right now. It's just an ADHD phase.
Why do you guys like using the names from anime shows instead of making up your own? Blake? Toph? (Mario) Zuko? I don't get it. Isn't a name that you made yourself nicer?

Thanks for the answer regarding the PPE cost of the Chi Death Blow. I know it was driving me nuts trying to find an answer about that. Psychie Psychie We will go with the 10 PPE cost idea for your character.
Yeah! Thanks for letting me help. Not everyone everywhere is O.K. with that.

I like the paralysis idea of the venom. We'll go with that for your bite.
Oh, how cool! O.K.!

As far as the incomplete Martial Art, I looked in my Rifter 3 and it is missing data there, too. Looking at Rifter 4 and I don't see any addendum or note about the missing lines of text. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Awww. Domo arigato gosai mas for trying! What a pity. I've never seen what the original creator intended.

actually there are nine seasons....
Nerrrrd! 8D

Thanks to Purr Purr for coming up with an answer about the Chi Death Blow thing. I appreciate it.
My pleasure! I like helping.

Also, thanks again for your kind words. I never want to be that trouble player. It just sucks the fun out of any game that person is in.
Psychie - I mean this - you never have been! How many years have we been roleplaying together? If you were a jerk, I'd call you on it in a heartbeat, not because I want the jerks in people to go and stay away, but because you're my friend and you got that way because you were a friend and not a jerk. (Sorry. Words are hard right now! Heh!)

You are seriously, really, honestly, the opposite. I don't game with jerks; it wastes my time and theirs too. I think you occasionally go beyond what is reasonable for good Game Mastering for the sake of (and spirit of) the fun. I would much rather have that in my life than... um... jerks. (Whew.) =)

I had something else I wanted to say but I forgot it. Maybe later? Love you guys and gals!

Alrighty. Mental state rolls!

There we go. I think indid that right. Despite an accidental (didn't read right) misroll on number 2. No luckies, but passable.

So... after my body/brain demanded a nap from me (two solid hours of blissful absolute unconsciousness! Ahhh!), not only has the brain-fog vanished, but Sherwood Sherwood ! I found the Rifts martial art in its complete form! If anyone is interested, here it is:

Yung Huo Jen (The Eternal Fires of the Sword).

I am so glad my head is clear again! =)

Well, D. Rex D. Rex is making a full conversion borg. If anyone has any advice on what gear to look for from the various books, feel free to share with the rest of the class.

Oh! Whats the full conversion mean? Is there like a partial conversion?

Or is that like the equivalent of someone asking "does that mean there is a low elf?"

Oh! Whats the full conversion mean? Is there like a partial conversion?
Full conversion may as well be a Terminator with a human brain or RoboCop. Partial conversion? About half as much chrome give or take some. =)

Full conversion may as well be a Terminator with a human brain or RoboCop. Partial conversion? About half as much chrome give or take some. =)
Who can turn down being a terminator?

Robocop or cyberpunk folk. Is it an asthetic difference or completely different occ?

A full conversion gets more in the way of MDC body parts and available cyberware that they can pack into their bodies. Partial conversion keep most of their body intact and organic.

Who can turn down being a terminator?

Robocop or cyberpunk folk. Is it an asthetic difference or completely different occ?
You are talking to a Game Master who ran Cyberpunk 2020 before he learned of Rifts. I incorporated both systems into my Rifts games (as I find the cyberware in Cyberpunk to completely beat out Rifts cyberware when it comes to style, utility, and versatility). Rifts cyberware is hardy and goes very well with the game (so it is far tougher in nature as Cyberpunk 2020 has no Mega-damage).

For Sherwood's game, I imagine he'll want to stick with Rifts cyberware (which there is plenty of!). =) Sherwood Sherwood Iz troo?

Also, is that Eternal Fires of the Sword martial art from Rifter #3 O.K. to run with?

I'm getting ready to head to work soon, but I'll be off the next two days. I should be able to use my phone to keep up with this thread for questions.

You are talking to a Game Master who ran Cyberpunk 2020 before he learned of Rifts. I incorporated both systems into my Rifts games (as I find the cyberware in Cyberpunk to completely beat out Rifts cyberware when it comes to style, utility, and versatility). Rifts cyberware is hardy and goes very well with the game (so it is far tougher in nature as Cyberpunk 2020 has no Mega-damage).

For Sherwood's game, I imagine he'll want to stick with Rifts cyberware (which there is plenty of!). =) Sherwood Sherwood Iz troo?

Also, is that Eternal Fires of the Sword martial art from Rifter #3 O.K. to run with?
Ooh yes. That is an important distinction. And would be a good question to ask.

Sherwood Sherwood Is the cyborg conversion, in terms of asthetics, is it the more robotic and mechanical rifts kind, or more cyberpunky and sleek like the inspirations of ghost in the shell and stuff?

I'm getting ready to head to work soon, but I'll be off the next two days. I should be able to use my phone to keep up with this thread for questions.
Have a good shift! =)

If my brain holds out (it's headache time), I'll have another build up. I can do math right now, but not a great deal else. C'est la vie! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back