• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Hongo addresses anyone who took part in the battle. "These ghost visions must fade if I am to speak with the fallen. I will ask my questions aloud so that you may hear them. Then I will repeat their answers. Here, I ask for your aid! Give me your own questions - I will try to pass them along to your dead warriors while they are still here."
Just pointing this out to my fellow Players here - Yes, this is my way of trying to make for a more group-oriented experience for all of us here. If we are going to be a team, we might as well start somewhere like this. =)

As Hongo asks his questions, the first ghost replies:

"I was mentally attacked by the demon that called itself Grendel. It wrestled control of my mind from me and implanted the need to attack that airship."

"I did not experience these foreign thoughts until the transport was nearly landed."

"I wish to be buried with my ancestors at our family plot. Do that, and I shall rest in peace."

As Hongo moves on to the other ghosts still around, he gets similar answers; Grendel made them do this, and they are ashamed at the dishonor that they have brought to their families. They ask for forgiveness, and warn you that Grendel is powerful. Use extreme caution when confronting it.
Utterly fantastic! Just what Hongo and I were hoping for! 8D

Hey everyone. Sorry but between my depression and the army it's hard to keep tabs here. Thanks alot for the opportunity! Have a great life and a great campaign.

Purr Purr
Sherwood Sherwood

Hey everyone. Sorry but between my depression and the army it's hard to keep tabs here. Thanks alot for the opportunity! Have a great life and a great campaign.

Purr Purr
Sherwood Sherwood
Kikimura Kikimura Remember - your depression is lying to you! And thank you for joining the Army! Find the Army people with lots of years under their belts and learn from them before they retire! Be well, Kikimura!

Honor and fun,
Dannigan =)

*poke* (10 days. No posts in or out of game. A little worried for this game's future.)

*poke* (10 days. No posts in or out of game. A little worried for this game's future.)
Ill say it might take a while with life and all taking its tool. Im still here and will be monitoring this threat for a while. so no worry dannigan we will be rping

Sorry for the delay.

Now that the scene on the roof is over, I will give everyone a boost to second level.
Ah! So we are still on! Terrific! 8D

Thank you for the level boost, Sherwood! I feel all boosted now - Zoooom!

Boost GIF by TeamLethal

2nd level goodies for Hongo the Bright Storm. =)

Sherwood Sherwood Please roll?
1d6 Hit Points
2d6 P.P.E.
1d6+6 I.S.P.

Chose Detect Concealment for his 2nd level Skill.
Double Existing Chi/I.S.P. (once in a lifetime character achievement) from his Spirit Host martial form.
+1 to Horror Factor.
Battle bonuses for his martial arts.
No new spells (he gets a couple next level but spells aren't his prime interest).
+1 to Parry with swords and +1 to throw swords.

Also, did the "good" magical item you mentioned for Hongo come around?

Yeah, these military folks from the Ministry of Metahuman Affairs have seriously started rubbing Hongo the wrong way here. I am playing him as a Japanese Tiger Spirit Demon Queller - a creature far older and more powerful than most humans even dream of becoming. With the big wigs here treating Hongo and Kimi less than respectfully, I can't help but be interested as a Player to see how this all turns out.

Sure, this game is based on Ghost in the Shell and Silent Mobius, but respect between peers is definitely a thing in Ghost in the Shell and it appears to be in Silent Mobius. Had the big wigs treated their own this way, it would be telling enough. But for the big wigs to treat honored guests who have come in good faith from another realm entirely like this? I mean, I just can't wrap my head around their utter lack of manners. No introductions, just "bow down and answer to us?"

It's like the big wigs have no respect at all for the New Empire. Here our characters are, risking our very lives for the union of our two realms, and the first thing we get from the Hiroshima big wigs is, "Let's go." "You'd better explain." and "Who wants to be first (to appease us)?" How dishonorable. Even from an American standpoint, who would put up with that? Moreso from a Japanese point of view, these big wigs really come off like the very arrogant bastard demons they want us to hunt down.

Coincidence?

Dannigan, I am getting a very different vibe from that encounter than you are getting. Think about it. Who was able to communicate with the spirits of the dead to know what was going on in their minds? Hongo. You did your mystic Chi stuff, and relayed the information to the rest of us. But what is Kimi supposed to say to the big boss lady when she's asked about this? She gets to point at you and say, "It was his power that brought the answers we have. Ask him."

Don't forget that the Ministers are probably not combat trained operatives, especially this Prime Minister Xu lady. She's been shot at, and is probably a bit rattled by the close call. But right now, she needs answers as to what the hell just happened, and since she wasn't up on the rooftop with us when you were relaying information from the spirits, she has no idea.

Of course, it is also possible that I'm totally wrong, and she is either under the control of the Oni, or is in some way a bad guy herself. We don't know enough yet.

Dannigan, I am getting a very different vibe from that encounter than you are getting. Think about it. Who was able to communicate with the spirits of the dead to know what was going on in their minds? Hongo. You did your mystic Chi stuff, and relayed the information to the rest of us. But what is Kimi supposed to say to the big boss lady when she's asked about this? She gets to point at you and say, "It was his power that brought the answers we have. Ask him."
I agree! But after reading your post, the first thing to come to my mind, "Kimi, a Japanese dragon and sohei, has no problem with the way we are all being treated?" Well, of course she doesn't! Why would she? Her Player is American, not Japanese! =)

Don't forget that the Ministers are probably not combat trained operatives, especially this Prime Minister Xu lady. She's been shot at, and is probably a bit rattled by the close call. But right now, she needs answers as to what the hell just happened, and since she wasn't up on the rooftop with us when you were relaying information from the spirits, she has no idea.
Good point. However, even in Ghost in the Shell, if you'll recall the meeting between Section 6 and Section 9 about the Puppet Master, civility was upheld. Neither treated the other as... inferiors. There was respect (until the exciting part happened and, well, that's another story). Let me use "Ol' Ape Face" Aramaki as example. He's civil, even cordial. He knows his place. His approach? Very Japanese. Not American.

Of course, it is also possible that I'm totally wrong, and she is either under the control of the Oni, or is in some way a bad guy herself. We don't know enough yet.
Perhaps, perhaps not. But I realize that I have not expressed myself clearly enough here (forgive me for that). I realize now I am coming at our Rifts Japan game from a cultural (Japanese) standpoint where things are done quite differently in Japan as they are in the U.S.. I am playing a Japanese character in a Japanese realm.

I realize my issue isn't with the big wigs at all - it is the lack of the Japanese approach. When I ask, "Coincidence?" What I mean to say is, look at how American this game's atmosphere is.

Hongo's irritation stems from the fact our PCs are not being treated respectfully or in a Japanese fashion. In a Japanese realm, it is quite rude to treat people with whom you hold no authority over as if they were your janitors. Who would stand for such a loss of face? "Somebody better explain this!" is a thing between superiors and subordinates. But to say this to honored guests (meaning our New Empire characters) whom you have invited? Whose aid you require? Is there any culture where such treatment is considered respectful between hosts and guests?

Whatever the case, I am making the mistake of treating this game as Japanese.

I realize now I am probably the only one who cares for such things. If so, perhaps I have made the further mistake of playing such Japanese characters (Snowfall the Kitsune, Hongo the shoki). I thought they would add to the game. They think Japanese because they are Japanese, but that does not help our fun here. I will try to rethink and rewrite my post for an American, not Japanese, audience. Hongo still is not going to be satisfied with this boorish treatment from one far outside his authority, but I will try for a less Japanese, more American approach. Hmm. Hongo would make for one heck of a New Yorker, at least in attitude. Perhaps a more Raphael-like from the TMNT would make a suitable compromise?

Psychie Psychie Psychster, thanks for your perspective with me, lady! I think I see my problem now! =)

Last edited:
Most of this is my fault. I am not Japanese, have never been raised in the Japanese culture (or any Oriental culture, for that matter) and I can only post in the way that I know: as an American. If I had a better personal handle on the intricacies of the culture, I could do a better job. I apologize for my fault in this. I would love to be able to be 'more Japanese' here, but I'm not sure how to do that without having Dannigan double-check all of my posts. If I am very off base with the approach that I make, let me know and I'll try to change my posts.

Hah! And what do we have here but the most Japanese of replies from my oldest Bud? I love it!

I can only post in the way that I know: as an American.
And have you not roleplayed as Exalted? As aliens from other worlds? As characters from other cultures? I get your point, but I think you limit yourself here - you have long understood the idea of roleplaying ("make believe" or "pretend")! You would not make a bad Japanese citizen yourself with your "do not offend" approach and humble nature!

I will gladly answer questions about the Japanese culture, but I don't want to slow your game down by doing so. This is your world, not mine, and I choose to respect that.

I have more to say but Real Life is calling. I will post more later today if Real Life allows. Love you guys and gals! Sayonara for now!

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Most of this is my fault.
Sherwood Sherwood Hey, Bud! In a matter like this, I recommend throwing the idea of blame aside. Instead, spend the time and energy looking for solutions! I try to think positive! The world has enough negatives. =)

If I had a better personal handle on the intricacies of the culture, I could do a better job.
May I recommend a proactive approach? If you are wondering how a person in charge might handle a situation like the one our characters are going through, I might make some recommendations your way.

However, I have no desire to do this in a reactive manner where you make a post and then I make corrections. I don't want to co-GM your game and well I wish you to play your characters freely without my interference.

You might ask, "How might a Japanese prime minister act when looking for answers concerning a crazy incident like this? Would he treat his invited guests the same way he would treat his subordinates?"

I might reply, "Depending on the personality, likely with humility and apologies coupled with great embarrassment and maybe even a little fear.

"The prime minister might bow in deep apology to his guests as it is his highest duty to keep them safe while in his presence. Plus, I imagine any diplomat, especially a prime minister, would be highly aware of how this makes his country and people look to the other country with whom he is trying to work and ally with.

"Perhaps the prime minister would excuse himself and his people away from the eyes of his guests and hear firsthand what his own people have to say on the matter. How he goes about dealing his own people privately is a matter of leadership between he and his own. He might boss them around all he wants or earnestly come to them with an open mind.

If he is really pissed, he might turn on his major and, in front of those she commands, ask her if she requires replacing. If it is her duty to keep him safe, I can only imagine how shamed she might feel.

"Then, returning to his guests, he might request (not demand) their assistance. He need not debase himself or any such nonsense. These are matters that involve everyone. On these grounds, no one is insulted. Both sides retain face. Why? Because both sides should show respect to each other.

In an extreme situation like this where the prime minister's own life could have been cut short, I think the prime minister already looks bad enough. He might tread softly asking of his guests.

The last thing I imagine he probably wants is for his guests to pack up and leave. To return to their country with a... less than satisfactory view of these delicate matters. He might imagine his guests going home with comments like, "The prime minister himself was nearly killed by his own people! What kinds of problems do these loony bufoons really have? What else are they hiding from us? I don't feel safe here! Let the demons take Hiroshima!"

During their conversation, acting politely and with his people's care in mind would look good on him here. Perhaps he could show skepticism or suspicion that such loyal people would suddenly turn on him like this. He might wish to honor his loyal dead by stating openly that he wants to get to the bottom of this so that the spirits of the men and women he knew can rest in peace. Their families also.

Finally, he might order his own people but request of his guests to get to the bottom of this without telling either side how to do it. Just trust them to get along and get it done.

In this way he might show trust to his own people and respect to his guests."

But all this is just my take on it. I'm just one guy so I recommend research from other sources. Take what is useful, toss aside what doesn't work for you, and add what is essentially your own (here I am paraphrasing something Bruce Lee said.)
=)

Any questions? =)

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood Concerning Hongo, I will still try to dial him back a bit. Japanese pride is legendary but it shouldn't get in the way of our games. =)

I will try to edit his post sometime today. I imagine he will still keep to himself until he is respectfully addressed, but he'll be less forceful inside about it. =)

Concerning Hongo, I will still try to dial him back a bit. Japanese pride is legendary but it shouldn't get in the way of our games. =)
Dannigan I think Hongo is fine, they just need a good go between that can settle things down. ;-)

Dannigan I think Hongo is fine, they just need a good go between that can settle things down. ;-)
Eonivar Eonivar Yeah! That is an ideal solution - a go-between. If you think Hongo is fine, perhaps I'll just leave the post as is. My brain is foggy right now. Thank you for letting me know how you feel! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back